Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 AM   #51
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Yes, we have a beta team of around 30 people who all have different areas of expertise.

We're still going through the game bugs database, fixing, tweaking etc and AI issues are still being finetuned.

This was something that had already been raised but not fixed, I pushed up the priority and you'll be pleased to know it's now resolved.

Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #52
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion
I'm going to assume not everything was uploaded this time. Because I can't see the player listings by letters.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/..._letter_A.html

Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at ootpbaseball2006.com

Did you follow a link from another page? If so, which?
Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 AM   #53
Marc Duffy
SI Games

dola

Should now be : http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/..._letter_a.html

Let me know if you followed a link that now requires updating
Old 05-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #54
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy
dola

Should now be : http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/..._letter_a.html

Let me know if you followed a link that now requires updating

Yes I went from the front page you sent us and did these links in this order.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...100_index.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ers_index.html
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/..._letter_A.html
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:39 AM   #55
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, we have a beta team of around 30 people who all have different areas of expertise.

We're still going through the game bugs database, fixing, tweaking etc and AI issues are still being finetuned.

This was something that had already been raised but not fixed, I pushed up the priority and you'll be pleased to know it's now resolved.

(I think I need to preface this by saying I love ootp and will purchase on Day 1 since it is the best out there no matter what. And keep up the good work Marc/SI/Markus)

But, this whole exchange leaves me scratching my head:
1. I make a post showing evidence that the roster/waiver AI issues that have been widely reported hundreds of times since waivers were introduced into ootp 2-3 years ago are still there.
2. Response is "your issue has been logged", as if this is like a typo that was just found for the first time.
3. Later response within 24 hours is that 'this has been resolved'.

If I had known it was that easy to fix the ootp roster management problems, I would have posted in fofc 2 years ago.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:43 AM   #56
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
(I think I need to preface this by saying I love ootp and will purchase on Day 1 since it is the best out there no matter what. And keep up the good work Marc/SI/Markus)

1. I make a post showing evidence that the roster/waiver AI issues that have been widely reported hundreds of times since waivers were introduced into ootp 2-3 years ago are still there.
2. Response is "your issue has been logged", as if this is like a typo that was just found for the first time.

If I had known it was that easy to fix the ootp roster management problems, I would have posted in fofc 2 years ago.
I know Marc says it's fixed. But I would still be a wee bit skeptical if you ask me.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #57
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:

You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this topic as this is my first OOTP game. When I saw the post, I logged it in our system and it's been flagged as being fixed by Markus this morning (you can check out the fix tomorrow in the reports at least)
Old 05-25-2006, 02:05 PM   #58
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_320.html

Two time pitcher of the year and he only gets a $680,00 contract.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_2268.html

19 Game winner gets $530,000 contract.

Just checked a couple of players seeing how AI handled transactions.

Also, I would like to see the player’s team history shown correctly. By this I mean
Player X:

2006 – Det …
2007 – Det…
2008 – Det…
2009 – Det…
2009 - Col
2010 – Col

Instead of the above they show:

2006 – Det …
2007 – Det…
2008 – Det…
2009 – Col
2009 – Det
2010 – Col

Not a big deal, but being a Baseball Encyclopedia guy and growing up reading and memorizing the back of baseball cards, this makes it difficult to read.

Last edited by Bea-Arthurs Hip : 05-25-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:18 PM   #59
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea-Arthurs Hip

Two time pitcher of the year and he only gets a $680,00 contract.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_2268.html

19 Game winner gets $530,000 contract.

Just checked a couple of players seeing how AI handled transactions.

You would think his value would be increased by all the time he's played in the field as well. I think in 2010 he logged 10 appearances in the field other than pitching including both corners, SS, and some OF. Surprised he hasn't caught a few games too. I also went to the main page and clicked on the pitching ERA leader to see he has logged late inning (I assume) stints at LF, SS, 3B, 1B while he was dominating the league pitching. I can just the Sox telling Curt Schilling in the 8th inning to go play 3B

Last edited by miked : 05-25-2006 at 02:23 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:22 PM   #60
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
You would think his value would be increased by all the time he's played in the field as well. I think in 2010 he logged 10 appearances in the field other than pitching including both corners, SS, and some OF. Surprised he hasn't caught a few games too.

He has:

Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #61
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
You would think his value would be increased by all the time he's played in the field as well. I think in 2010 he logged 10 appearances in the field other than pitching including both corners, SS, and some OF. Surprised he hasn't caught a few games too.

oy
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #62
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm thinking we are seeing the affect of a young league without history and probably with financial issues.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 PM   #63
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
You would think his value would be increased by all the time he's played in the field as well. I think in 2010 he logged 10 appearances in the field other than pitching including both corners, SS, and some OF. Surprised he hasn't caught a few games too. I also went to the main page and clicked on the pitching ERA leader to see he has logged late inning (I assume) stints at LF, SS, 3B, 1B while he was dominating the league pitching. I can just the Sox telling Curt Schilling in the 8th inning to go play 3B
I would like to see this happen once every blue moon on blowouts though, because it has happened in the past, but this is probably a little more frequent then it should be.

Like Fernando Valenzuela

Position Total P* 453 200 586 30 31 .963 .954 1.74 0.62 424 2930.0
1B 1 2 0 0 0 1.000 .992 2.00 8.40
OF 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 1.90 1 0 1
Old 05-25-2006, 02:29 PM   #64
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I would like to see this happen once every blue moon on blowouts though, because it has happened in the past, but this is probably a little more frequent then it should be.

Like Fernando Valenzuela

Position Total P* 453 200 586 30 31 .963 .954 1.74 0.62 424 2930.0
1B 1 2 0 0 0 1.000 .992 2.00 8.40
OF 1 0 0 0 0 0.00 1.90 1 0 1

Nice, but hardly important in the grand scheme.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:31 PM   #65
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Nice, but hardly important in the grand scheme.
I feel if this is a game that simulates REAL baseball then it is important. There should be times where in a blowout the manager has a position player pitch and a pitcher field/pitch run. It's part of the game and one of the things that makes baseball neat at times.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:32 PM   #66
miked
College Starter

Well, it's ok to see it every now and again, but I've looked at several SPs and even some CLs and they all seem to be logging innings around the field (anywhere and everywhere) each season. Even if it's only a few innings, what team trudges their ace into the field to play 3B, or SS, or OF? I'm going to wait to see the Cy Young pitcher injured his knee diving for a ball in the outfield notice...
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #67
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I feel if this is a game that simulates REAL baseball then it is important. There should be times where in a blowout the manager has a position player pitch and a pitcher field/pitch run. It's part of the game and one of the things that makes baseball neat at times.

All I'm saying is let's make sure that Items #1-999 work before adding in that little bit. In a perfect game your idea would be swell.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #68
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this topic as this is my first OOTP game. When I saw the post, I logged it in our system and it's been flagged as being fixed by Markus this morning (you can check out the fix tomorrow in the reports at least)

I think there is a mis-communication somewhere. If it was that easy, tell Markus we would like to see it fixed in 6.5.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:35 PM   #69
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
All I'm saying is let's make sure that Items #1-999 work before adding in that little bit. In a perfect game your idea would be swell.
Yeah but if it's already happening then it just needs to be toned down.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #70
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah but if it's already happening then it just needs to be toned down.

Yeah, but is it happening for the right reasons?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:41 PM   #71
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, but is it happening for the right reasons?
If I was playing the beta I would let you know!
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM   #72
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Still can't find any room in the budget for a professional writer for the news pages?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-25-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:46 PM   #73
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Dola... what does it mean when a guy has no ratings shown in a category? Is that some sort of "fog of war" scouting effect?
Old 05-25-2006, 06:22 PM   #74
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

I think there is a mis-communication somewhere. If it was that easy, tell Markus we would like to see it fixed in 6.5.

and 5.11 please.

I remember Chief Rum highlighting this issue when he did his wonderful dynasty (or dynasties). It's not quite so bad in my historical leagues because of the nature of the lahman database and a couple of houserules but the League Transaction page is fun to read, in a disbelieving kind of way.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #75
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Reports updated with the latest fixes

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com
Old 05-26-2006, 07:07 AM   #76
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Reports updated with the latest fixes

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com

Marc,

This has been brought up in this thread already, but pitchers shouldn't be playing the field. It may happen two or three times a year. Take a look at this guy:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_7315.html

He leads the league in wins and he spends a couple of at bats in CF, an inning in LF and THREE innings at SS. That just doesn't happen. I thinking a manager wouldn't be able to get back to the dugout after being fired after a double switch which included Chris Carpenter heading out to SS.

This isn't just a few isolated instances. It happens with nearly every pitcher. I just took a quick, passing glance at some minor leaguers and didn't see any who had been released repeatedly. I'll let someone else research that part.

The pitchers playing the field needs to be fixed.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:08 AM   #77
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Marc, not to pick on you here, but I'm getting a certain impression from the reports website and your posts. Did you interpret lighthousekeeper's post about the guy being waived four times in one season as a report problem? As if the reports are just showing something that they shouldn't be? All of the fixes that I see in the updated reports are about display issues and bad HTML links. While those things need to be fixed, I think the bigger concern is about the AI in deciding which players to sign and waive. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any mention of that in the fixes.

Am I misunderstanding something about this reports website? Does it cover actual game engine bug fixes, or is it all about HTML output?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:28 AM   #78
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Marc, not to pick on you here, but I'm getting a certain impression from the reports website and your posts. Did you interpret lighthousekeeper's post about the guy being waived four times in one season as a report problem? As if the reports are just showing something that they shouldn't be? All of the fixes that I see in the updated reports are about display issues and bad HTML links. While those things need to be fixed, I think the bigger concern is about the AI in deciding which players to sign and waive. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see any mention of that in the fixes.

Am I misunderstanding something about this reports website? Does it cover actual game engine bug fixes, or is it all about HTML output?

From reading the OOTP boards, I believe Marcus is tweaking the game engine and the reports are being ran with different beta builds of the game. So I don't think they are just taking things out of the reports to pretend everything is ok.

I think the engine is being tweaked before they upload new reports.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:34 AM   #79
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
From reading the OOTP boards, I believe Marcus is tweaking the game engine and the reports are being ran with different beta builds of the game. So I don't think they are just taking things out of the reports to pretend everything is ok.

I'll take your word for it. I haven't been reading the OOTP boards, so I was missing that. I had just gotten the impression that the latest bug fixes were about the reports, not regarding issues from the reports. My bad.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #80
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll take your word for it. I haven't been reading the OOTP boards, so I was missing that. I had just gotten the impression that the latest bug fixes were about the reports, not regarding issues from the reports. My bad.

In the link you can see the build they built the reports off of.

Now, don't ask me what I think of seeing some of these types of bugs late in the process. We are now less than a week from lift off and I'm seeing things like Cy Young award winners playing some SS during the year.

That doesn't make me all that confident the game is going to be in good shape by release. Any change made to the AI in that regard could send God knows how many other things spinning out of control.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll look at new reports as they happen and see. I will purchase early, play it for a bit and then determine if PureSim or OOTP will get the majority of my time. (I say majority because PureSim is good enough it will have a spot in my rotation no matter what)
Old 05-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #81
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Minor issue:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_305.html

This guy seems to have kept his rookie eligibility for two years, including winning back-to-back FBL SL1 Newcomer of the Year Awards. Maybe just a quirk due to starting the new league with an initial draft?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #82
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:

Well, it reports stuff from the game so there is mixture here of cosmetics and engine fixes combined. Not everything I've logged from posts here and on the OOTP forums is cosmetic.

Of course the AI is essential for a game like this so please keep letting me know your concerns!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #83
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:

Yep, thats just about it, explained far better than myself. Thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #84
Marc Duffy
SI Games

Quote:
Marc,

This has been brought up in this thread already, but pitchers shouldn't be playing the field. It may happen two or three times a year. Take a look at this guy:

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_7315.html

He leads the league in wins and he spends a couple of at bats in CF, an inning in LF and THREE innings at SS. That just doesn't happen. I thinking a manager wouldn't be able to get back to the dugout after being fired after a double switch which included Chris Carpenter heading out to SS.

This isn't just a few isolated instances. It happens with nearly every pitcher. I just took a quick, passing glance at some minor leaguers and didn't see any who had been released repeatedly. I'll let someone else research that part.

The pitchers playing the field needs to be fixed.

Markus is investigating the cause of this at the moment
Old 05-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #85
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Marc,
But pitchers shouldn't be playing the field. He leads the league in wins and he spends a couple of at bats in CF, an inning in LF and THREE innings at SS. That just doesn't happen. I thinking a manager wouldn't be able to get back to the dugout after being fired after a double switch which included Chris Carpenter heading out to SS.

We do this all the time in my over-28 league. Of course we've got a 12 man roster....

Last edited by lighthousekeeper : 05-26-2006 at 09:06 AM.
lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #86
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
We do this all the time in my over-28 league. Of course we've got a 12 man roster....

lol.

OK, if the league roster has a max setting of 12, I have no problems with it.

Major league roster of 25? Big, big problem.

Cy Young award winners playing 3 innings of SS? Game killer.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #87
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Troy's issue with the pitcher reminds me of something that struck me odd in the PS Demo(I know, wrong thread), there was no injury issue and the Braves stuck Ken Griffey Sr(86 replay) behind the plate late in a game for about 3 innings.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #88
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cards4ever
Troy's issue with the pitcher reminds me of something that struck me odd in the PS Demo(I know, wrong thread), there was no injury issue and the Braves stuck Ken Griffey Sr(86 replay) behind the plate late in a game for about 3 innings.

I haven't noticed a lot of that. I wonder if it's how the Lahman database put him in. Strange.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #89
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I haven't noticed a lot of that. I wonder if it's how the Lahman database put him in. Strange.

I'm not sure, I didn't do a huge bunch of managing, so I'm not sure if it was just one freak occurence or not either. I do know I did a whole bunch of stealing when it happened!

Of course it's not as bad as the issue you have identified. You might see a pitcher go to the OF for a batter and then come back and pitch, but definitely not play SS for 3 innings.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #90
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now, don't ask me what I think of seeing some of these types of bugs late in the process. We are now less than a week from lift off and I'm seeing things like Cy Young award winners playing some SS during the year.

If someone was to ask me, I'd say that there are going to be a helluva lot more beta testers on May 31st.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #91
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
If someone was to ask me, I'd say that there are going to be a helluva lot more beta testers on May 31st.
Welcome to the world of computer game production!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #92
Marc Duffy
SI Games

I think, even with the best laid plans some issues creep through. The main thing is that we do try to offer a quality support service for all our games and OOTP will be no exception.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:17 PM   #93
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
I think, even with the best laid plans some issues creep through.

True. I've got to admit though, it's hard not to start looking at this thing as OOTP6: SI Edition rather than OOTP 2006. It frightens me that there are issues with relievers in the 7th iteration of the game.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #94
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
True. I've got to admit though, it's hard not to start looking at this thing as OOTP6: SI Edition rather than OOTP 2006. It frightens me that there are issues with relievers in the 7th iteration of the game.
Agreed. Along with the fact that H2H was never delivered, though promised for ver. 6, OOTP has moved from automatic purchase, to try the demo and wait a while before purchase, meanwhile, Puresim has moved from nice, but not interested, to buying next week when I get paid, or maybe this weekend if my experiment works.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #95
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Agreed. Along with the fact that H2H was never delivered, though promised for ver. 6, OOTP has moved from automatic purchase, to try the demo and wait a while before purchase, meanwhile, Puresim has moved from nice, but not interested, to buying next week when I get paid, or maybe this weekend if my experiment works.
I like Shaun a lot and I bought Puresim, but the game is just too slow for quicksim...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #96
GoSeahawks
High School Varsity

Quote:
I like Shaun a lot and I bought Puresim, but the game is just too slow for quicksim...
I can't imagine that OOTP will be any better while running a full minor league system.
GoSeahawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #97
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSeahawks
I can't imagine that OOTP will be any better while running a full minor league system.
According to the reports I've read it is much faster.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ed#post1402601

Last edited by DanGarion : 05-26-2006 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #98
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Yep. Which is great, because I'm not looking to quick sim anything. I like to play out all of my games, and quite frankly, I don't really care how long it takes to sim the rest of the games that week. That being said, by looking at the minimum specs needed for OOTP 2006, I can't imagine a quicksim is going to be an option for most either.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #99
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
According to the reports I've read it is much faster.
Minimum of 256 MB of Ram. If you only have 128, which most people don't, I understand, you'll be lucky to get a Full MLB with AAA, and not notice slowdown.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #100
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Yep. Which is great, because I'm not looking to quick sim anything. I like to play out all of my games, and quite frankly, I don't really care how long it takes to sim the rest of the games that week. That being said, by looking at the minimum specs needed for OOTP 2006, I can't imagine a quicksim is going to be an option for most either.
I'm working on a fairly meaty system at work with 1 gig of ram an I barely got to the trading deadly after 4 hours in PS.

As for OOTP 2006, the reports I read at about 2-3 minutes to sim a season. Which for me, a person that enjoys just making a league and looking at stats is a large factor into my enjoyment of the game.