Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2005, 12:31 PM   #51
Hurst2112
College Starter

She was great last night. I wonder how many kids(20-somethings) watching thought that she did a Nirvana song...not realizing that Nirvana covered it when they did the unplugged thing.

Here is Jordis' bands myspace site.Liar's Club The songs on their are stuff they did post Fighting Tongs. I had no involvement with these. In fact, the stuff I did never made it to CD (other than ruffs I did). They disbanded and formed Liar's Club. The songs on the myspace site are ruff mixes...not finished product.

Now that I think of it, I could mix the songs I have sitting on my drive and sell them if she becomes big...hehe.

The thing about her and the band is that they were never really motivated. The band isn't that good, and they rely on her ability a lot. They are all cool, but they won't be part of Jordis' success if she gets signed by somebody.

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep, she was great last night. I thought Dave overstated a bit with his "greatest vocal performance ever" line - I hope he meant on this show, or on any TV reality show, or compared to Peripheral or Butthead. It was great, but not that great.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:39 PM   #53
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yep, she was great last night. I thought Dave overstated a bit with his "greatest vocal performance ever" line - I hope he meant on this show, or on any TV reality show, or compared to Peripheral or Butthead. It was great, but not that great.

I would agree. Dave can overstate things quite a bit from what i have seen. I mean shit, has he never listened to Michael Bolton?!?!?!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #54
SegRat
High School Varsity

She should get the encore tonight
Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #55
Raven
College Prospect

I thought Ty was one of the worst last night, even though he didn't know the song. It surprised me because he is usually one of the best.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #56
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I thought Ty was one of the worst last night, even though he didn't know the song. It surprised me because he is usually one of the best.

He didn't have much to work with.

/not a FF fan
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #57
Ksyrup

NBC's "Law Firm," which premiered with only 5.1 million viewers; CBS's "Rock Star: INXS" and ABC's dating game "Hooking Up" are all summer duds.

Not that this show is great, by any means, but c'mon - it's not actors dancing, it's not R&B/disco warbling by people with no stage presence, it's not retread one-hit wonders. It's just rock n roll, so no one wants to watch. Boooooooo, America!

I guess my dream of a real "battle of the bands" reality show has been flushed down the crapper for good.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #58
Ksyrup

Dola.

I suspect this is part of the reason why they cut 2 people last week. Watch them go to a bottom 5 next week and cut all of their sorry asses. We'll have a winner by August 17th.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #59
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Dola.

I suspect this is part of the reason why they cut 2 people last week. Watch them go to a bottom 5 next week and cut all of their sorry asses. We'll have a winner by August 17th.

You would think they would end it soon...for season premiers and stuff. Isn't that towards the end of august?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #60
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
I guess my dream of a real "battle of the bands" reality show has been flushed down the crapper for good.

didn't paul schaffer host that a while back? Celeb judges and stuff. The bands had to be able to play something on the spot. Not a real battle but it was kinda cool.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:46 PM   #61
Ksyrup

They should have done something similar to The Bachelor - ctu a bunch of people early on, and focus on 5 or 6 decent people. There are too many people still in the competition, when we all knew by the second week at least who should be gone.

I was leaning toward Marty being the winner, and they all loved his performance last night, but I thought his vocals were terrible. Even compared to Scott Stapp. Maybe I just heard it wrong, though. Still, I can't hear him pulling off some of the INXS songs.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-03-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #62
Raven Hawk
College Starter

I pretty much agree with what's been said. Ty was crap last night. Marty didn't impress me either. But this is slow and drawn out. Like Ksyrup said it would have been nice to separate the wheat from the chaf early on, then let the wheat compete. There are certain people that you know aren't going to make it and it's just painful to see them week after week barely escaping elimination.

The top five are pretty easy for me to pick out

Jordis
Mig
Marty
JD
Ty

Everybody else is just wasting my time.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #63
Ksyrup

For some reason, I like Deanna, but not for this gig. She's got a nice husky voice.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #64
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I had the dubious privilege of watching Australian Idol and INXS in sequence last night. They were broadcast simultaneously and my wife and daughter insisted on AI first The comparison is astonishing - like watching Kidderrminster and Manchester United play in sequence (sorry don't know gridiron well enough to make a suitable comparison). How the first can be so popular and the second a flop is astonishing and depressing.

I agree that Jordis is too good for INXS. She clearly has a terrific individual career ahead of her and being lead singer for an established band would be too limiting for her. I don't think she has the right image either.

Ty still does it for me though I agree his performance last night wasn't great. But with that song it was something of making a silk purse from a sow's ear. But he too might be too versatile and individual. Marty has certainly picked his game up over the last couple of weeks. He also has the image. JD did well last night but his failure the previous week said more than just one bad song - it said much about his limitations. MIG, for me, doesn't have the power and too stagey.

Jessica surely has to go soon and Tara and Suzie can't be far behind. Still, as the popularity of Australian Idol shows - what the hell do I know?

Edit: since when has the rolleyes smiley been removed from the list or is this just another problem between my broadband and the forum?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-03-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #65
Ksyrup

Ty just smoked that!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #66
Ksyrup

Looks like the Monday show got canned.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #67
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Looks like the Monday show got canned.

Yeah, I wonder if the whole show will not end up at VH1 eventually.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:26 AM   #68
Ksyrup

If they insist on dumping one person per week, this could go on for months...
Old 08-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #69
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If they insist on dumping one person per week, this could go on for months...

I really think they had very high hopes for the show. They imagined AI kind of support, and honestly I thought they might get it. I enjoy AI, but this is much more my cup of tea. It is strange what hits and what doesn't.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #70
Ksyrup

I agree completely. I've thought about what they would need to do to make this show work, and the sad fact is, it doesn't work because it's rock music. Brooke Burke is not all that great, but the format of the show is otherwise fine - Navarro, although a bit Paula Abdul with praise at times, is pretty good, and the guys in the band seem to be somewhat honest in their opinions. The performers aren't all great, but neither are the AI contestants. Again, the biggest thing they could have done was dump 10 people in the first 2 weeks and focus on the remaining 5. But I still don't think that would have gotten people watching. It's the fact that this is a band, and they're lookingfor someone to fit in with the band, not concentrating on finding a personality to market by him/herself. And of course, no one is covering I Will Survive...

I thought maybe they should have gone with a band that was either more relevant to now, or a legendary act, but I'm not sure it would have mattered. This might make a good thread, actually - alternative versions of Rockstar. I've come up with Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, and the mother of all shows, Van Halen. But I'm not sure any of those would garner better ratings. VH would be great, because with the dick Eddie involved, it would be like a combination of AI and Hell's Kitchen - Eddie could berate the worst singers and throw shit at them as they left the stage. And they could get Hagar and Roth to give commentary.

The sad thing is, an R&B/hip hop version of this show would probably draw a large audience.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #71
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I agree completely. I've thought about what they would need to do to make this show work, and the sad fact is, it doesn't work because it's rock music. Brooke Burke is not all that great, but the format of the show is otherwise fine - Navarro, although a bit Paula Abdul with praise at times, is pretty good, and the guys in the band seem to be somewhat honest in their opinions. The performers aren't all great, but neither are the AI contestants. Again, the biggest thing they could have done was dump 10 people in the first 2 weeks and focus on the remaining 5. But I still don't think that would have gotten people watching. It's the fact that this is a band, and they're lookingfor someone to fit in with the band, not concentrating on finding a personality to market by him/herself. And of course, no one is covering I Will Survive...

I thought maybe they should have gone with a band that was either more relevant to now, or a legendary act, but I'm not sure it would have mattered. This might make a good thread, actually - alternative versions of Rockstar. I've come up with Stone Temple Pilots, Alice In Chains, and the mother of all shows, Van Halen. But I'm not sure any of those would garner better ratings. VH would be great, because with the dick Eddie involved, it would be like a combination of AI and Hell's Kitchen - Eddie could berate the worst singers and throw shit at them as they left the stage. And they could get Hagar and Roth to give commentary.

The sad thing is, an R&B/hip hop version of this show would probably draw a large audience.

You're right on both the VH and R&B thing. Honestly, the thing I love about this show is the lack of a "Simon," who while entertaining, takes away from the performances. I think that this show would have been much more successfull with a Simon, though. A real dick, not just someone pretending to be.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #72
Ksyrup

Found this interesting, on the following blog:

http://ultragrrrl.blogspot.com/

"I have been holding back for a while, but I can't take it anymore!!

I was one of the final 50 selected to go to LA for the final round for the INXS:Rockstar show. I wrote a journal about my experience and described all 50 contestants I saw when I was there. From day one we were told 14 people make it to the show...14...14...14...14!!! I have contracts to prove this. Anyway, all of sudden the show airs and there are 15 contestants...go figure! I recognize all of them, except one...MIG! He WAS NOT at the audtions. I promise you!!

So I came to realize, Mig is the mole..the plant if you will. INXS probably recorded the album with him already, though that I can't prove.

Check this out: One of the songs we were given to learn was "We Are The Champions"...then it was pulled. They changed it. Could it be because MIG was the lead in the London production of 'Queen: We Will Rock You'? A Broadway type show. And isn't the TV show supposed to be about guys and girls who are struggling to make a career out of singing?? MIG has a career...go figure!!

The icing on the cake was tonight. Great reality setup. One guy slaughters a Queen tune last week..then Mig comes in to show he can save the day and really sing a Queen song...go figure!!
He has been singing them for a living!!!

Anyway, if you are a betting man...call Vegas and get the odds on Mig. You walk away a rich man/woman...trust me!!

It's just disapponiting to know the band is using this program to jusat market themselves and a singer they have already selected. The auditions were really to surround MIG. Pretty sad..."
Old 08-04-2005, 04:38 PM   #73
Hurst2112
College Starter

Interesting...

"We will rock you" is not a hard queen song to sing. I am more interested in the fact of the 14 singers with 'the mole'. That is some cool news.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #74
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Mig

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #75
Hurst2112
College Starter

You love him. He's your boyfriend.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #76
Hurst2112
College Starter

DOLA:

I was thinking about that blog post. I was checking some online books and wondering if it would be worth it to lay down a c-note on this info.

I thought that it would either be JD, Jordis or Mig. JD seems to be plateauing while Mig is slowly getting into the spotlight more. Jordis is doing it rock solid, but isn't showing INXS 'frontman' desires. Being a chick is something that I stated will hurt her chances to win it all.

Now then, if Mig is actually a mole, and the writer of the blog is not somebody stirring up trouble...wouldn't the bookies have taken this into consideration? I mean, I was looking at 3:1 on both Jordis and Mig. Shouldn't Mig be around 3:2 or something similar.Its hard to resist the temptation of putting down a hundred on him. If I wasn't leaving for Seattle next Wednesday I would probably do it.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 08-04-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #77
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

They haven't hidden the fact that Mig was from the "We Will Rock You" show in London - it was said in the very first show that he had given up that job in order to take part in the INXS search. The band have also commented a couple of times that he needs to change his stage persona to a more spontaneous "rock concert" one. I don't think there's been any attempt to hide his background.

I would have thought the fact he's Australian would have more influence over the band's judgement. Of course that may be seen as further evidence for the conspiracy theory. But it wouldn't suprise me at all if the band themselves knew Mig and suggested he take part even if he didn't originally apply.

But he doesn't have the talent of either Jordis or Ty.

I get the impression that we're beginning to see some divergence between the public's judgement and that of the band. The different reaction of the two to JD's and Ty's poor performances struck me - JD's "We Are the Champions" was the worst performance of all so far and was severely criticised by the band but the public didn't even put him in the bottom three. Ty's performance was not his best but not that bad but he was voted into the bottom three despite superb performances elsewhere. But there was no way the band were going to drop him.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-04-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #78
Ksyrup

I'm very surprised to see that he's 35. That lends even more credence to the idea that he might get picked. Nothing worse than a band of 40-50 year olds fronted by a 24 year old.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 PM   #79
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
I'm very surprised to see that he's 35. That lends even more credence to the idea that he might get picked. Nothing worse than a band of 40-50 year olds fronted by a 24 year old.

I didn't realise he was that old and I think you might well be right. One characteristic that the band will be taking note of that the public probably isn't is how well the winner will fit in with the band on tour. Mig may fit in. Maybe Brandon and Marty. JD would be a nightmare and Ty seems to be on the arrogant/egotistical side. Fitting in could also go against Jordis - young girl and a bunch of guys suffering a mid-life crisis

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-04-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #80
Raven Hawk
College Starter

One thing to note is that most of these people are older than you might think. Jordis is the only one who is under 25. Most fall into the 28-32 age range. I think Ty's up there with MiG.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #81
Ksyrup

Someone on another board says that he watched tonight's (supposed) episode last night on VH1. Last week, they said the next episode was Tuesday, which I took to mean they had canned the Monday episode. Apparently, what they meant was that Monday's episode wouldn't air on CBS on Monday, but on VH1 on Sunday. What a bunch of idiots. There were no performances, so it's not like I missed anything, but since I've been watching, I would have liked to have seen it.

Can anyone confirm this was on last night?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:28 PM   #82
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Ksyrup

there no episode tonight on CBS. i check.

damn if they took it off Monday on cbs and didnt warn us it was move to Sunday on vh1

Tuesday and Wednesday episode is on cbs still. i check.

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #83
jbmagic
Pro Starter

VH1 is showing it 10:30eastern tonight 7:30pm pacfic monday night again.

so if you miss it on vh1 sunday. your ok still.

why did they move the Monday show from cbs to Sunday on vh1 without letting us know?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 PM   #84
Ksyrup

They got half of it right on Wednesday's show - that it wouldn't be on CBS on Monday. Odd that they wouldn't promote it on VH1, though, considering Viacom owns both CBS and VH1. Thanks for the info - I'll watch it tonight.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #85
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

The INXS programs are shown on Fox 8 here (Australia). It might be worth checking to see if that's the case in the US also. According to the schedule there are no changes here (I'm glad to say).
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #86
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

so, who liked Brooke Burke's skirt, or lack thereof

I guess they hope the higher she cuts the skirt, the higher the ratings will go

I kind of liked the format tonight though, with little pieces in between songs...

FM
Old 08-09-2005, 10:12 PM   #87
Ksyrup

I really like this show. I don't even care that it's a washed-up 80's band. It's just so refreshing to get real rock singers, most of whom have the talent to arrange their own songs and play instruments. It's too bad no one is watching. I hope this turns into a regular series on VH1, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-09-2005 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #88
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Did anyone else notice trouble with the audio last night? I don't know if it was a problem with our local affiliate or if it was a problem with the show. For whatever reason, both Burke's and the singers' mics seemed to have the volume turned down. We could hear the band fine, but the vocals just seemed muted. Made it difficult to tell who was doing the best job.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:18 AM   #89
Ksyrup

I didn't notice a problem. Our local channels are ALL muted, but that doesn't affect just vocals versus music.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:55 AM   #90
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
I really like this show. I don't even care that it's a washed-up 80's band. It's just so refreshing to get real rock singers, most of whom have the talent to arrange their own songs and play instruments.
I'm really enjoying this show too. I cannot stand the Idol-type of talent shows but I'm really liking a lot of the performances every week on this show.

For me, I'm seeing two performers being cut this week - Brandon and Jessica. They both had the kiss-of-death critique from the band plus it will help to move the series to the end a bit quicker.

Marty has been a real standout the last few weeks. He looks like the winner at the moment if he can keep it up.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #91
Ksyrup

I like Marty as a performer, but not so much as a singer and definitely not as the singer of INXS. He just doesn't have a strong enough voice. He's a great talent, though - I know some folks on another board that is based in Chicago who know him pretty well and have always thought the same thing. I think he has what it takes to front a band, I just don't think he can be as melodic as he would need to be with INXS.

I still like Ty, but I've always been a sucker for black rock singers. And I'm not sure how he fits in with this band.

Jordis, again....best talent on the show, not right for INXS. Could/should be huge in the right situation.

JD has the attitude, voice, and talent (his arrangements are, overall, excellent), but I think he's too self-centered to be a part of an existing band. He needs a band built around him as the focal point, so a gig with an established band is not right for him.

MiG seems to have everything they need - confident performer, good voice, Australian, mid-30's, ringer (at least according to that blog I posted). I just don't see them going for anyone else in this competition, if they have any thoughts about playing old INXS material.

The rest of the singers are either too one-dimensional (Brandon, Deanna) or just not that talented (Jessica, who I thought should have been gone by week 2).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-10-2005 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 AM   #92
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Suzie seems to be the odd woman out. She is definitly on a level above Deanna, Brandon, and Jessica, but I don't think that she'll make the top 5. She did an excellent job last night.

Get rid of Brandon and Jessica this week and save us the pain of having to watch them struggle to survive for another week. They're not bad musicians, but they're obviously not up to the level of everybody else on the show.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #93
Hurst2112
College Starter

Jordis came up short in my eyes last night. This was her worst performance so far.

Bad choice of clothing too. she does not wear stuff like that around town. Only stevie nicks would wear something like that well...or ok.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:47 AM   #94
Ksyrup

I thought Jordis was OK. SHe still was better than most even with an off-performance. I even thought the clothing matched the song. Stevie Nicks is right on-target.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #95
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
Jordis came up short in my eyes last night. This was her worst performance so far.

Bad choice of clothing too. she does not wear stuff like that around town. Only stevie nicks would wear something like that well...or ok.

I agree that her performance wasn't great Tuesday, but I actually loved her outfit. I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, but I wish she'd do something else with her hair.

Anyway, Brandon deserved to go. Blow lyrics to one of their songs is the kiss of death. He wasn't right for the band anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM   #96
Ksyrup

I was disappointed they didn't can Jessica along with Brandon.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:40 PM   #97
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Jessica's time will come next week when she's voted into the bottom three for the fourth time. I'm still surprised that Suzie was in the bottom three. She rocked that REM song.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #98
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Brandon and Jessica were obvious choices for the bottom three and I can't see Jessica surviving much longer. Coming up with a third was difficult this week but even so Suzie was a suprise. I suspect it shows the conservatism of the public audience - change the arrangement of a well known song and you'll leave a significant part of them behind.

Once Jessica and Deanna (too limited) go then it'll be very difficult to separate them. Ty has the talent. Marty has come good recently and I think will fit in well with the band (they seem to make excuses when his pitch is out). Mig has done nothing wrong but, for me, never quite has the power. Can't make my mind up about JD - a flawed gem perhaps. Jordis, extremely talented but will be better off as a solo artist and not right for INXS. Suzie has the rock-chick image and the band clearly responds to that but she never really sparkles.

It's still Ty for me with Marty coming up on the rails.

Anyone else puzzled by the way they have to launch into an INXS song when they find themselves (unexpectedly) having to sing for survival? Presumably they're each told beforehand what song they will have to sing if they're in the bottom three to allow them to rehearse it.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 08-11-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #99
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
Anyone else puzzled by the way they have to launch into an INXS song when they find themselves (unexpectedly) having to sing for survival? Presumably they're each told beforehand what song they will have to sing if they're in the bottom three to allow them to rehearse it.

I thought so, too, but Brandon's comment last night that he was surprised by the choice they made for him has me thinking that maybe they give them 3 songs and tell them they'll have to do one of them if they are in the bottom 3. Either that, or he was trying to cover himself in front of the audience that he forgot the words to the only song he was given to perform.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #100
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Yes they do seem genuinely unaware of what they will be expected to sing which does suggest they're given the three songs beforehand and only know which one is theirs when INXS tells them. It does seem like an awful lot of reheasal time though to be proficient in all three.

Enormous credit does have to go to the backup band who have to cover a hell of a lot of ground in supporting every artist and song.