Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2005, 04:00 AM   #51
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Congrats on Rochemback's permit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
The guy's named simply Jefferson, and I find that funny.
Brazillians tend to use nicknames when they play. If you look under his profile, you should be able to see his given name.

daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #52
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Congrats on Rochemback's permit.

Thanks, as you can sense from all my comments, I'm very happy with the signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus regarding Jefferson
Brazillians tend to use nicknames when they play. If you look under his profile, you should be able to see his given name.

Yeah, I've been meaning to look him up, see what's behind that, but I always forget to. At the moment, Jefferson struck me as funny. You get used to exotic sounding nicknames, but to see Jefferson, I found it funny... it may be just me though

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #53
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

July 22, 2010
I'm getting to have some doubts about Matt Cross' ability to perform at the high level the team is now playing. I mean he got rated much more often at 7 than 8 last season in the Championship and I'm worried that he will hit the wall in the Premiership. I find Phil Townley, a 23yo winger capable of playing on either sides of the pitch, much like Marcus Kelly, but who is right footed, to Kelly's preference for his left foot. Valued at 4.2M, Norwich has transfer listed him by request and are asking only 3.8M for him. I offer them just that, $3.8M...

Among the players scouted by my scouts at the World Cup, there's this kid, a Colombian named Freddy Guarin currently playing at Fenerbahçe in Turkey. Valued at $8.8M, but I've seen offers over $12M for him. I offer them $8M and center/left midfielder Chris Chapman for him. That's a total value of $12.2M...

Another player I have on my shortlist is flamboyant midfielder Mfundo Shumana, currently playing at Ajax CT. Hi work permit was rejected last time, but he must have played in some international competition since then because I see that Leicester have just offered $220k for him. His value is only at $150k right now and it is kind of low, probably because he's playing in a small market. I offer $240k for him.

July 23, 2010
Our offer for Dave Reynolds is rejected. I Let it go, he'd cost way more than I'd like to pay for a single player...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #54
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

July 24, 2010
Now comes the time to submit shirt numbers. For some reasons, I like that time of the season. I sometimes rearrange numbers to what I think this or that player would like

Five of our league matches have been picked for TV coverage:
Sunday, Aug 29, Man Utd v Q.P.R. (woah!)
Sunday, Oct 17, Q.P.R. v Blackburn
Sunday, Nov 28, Chelsea v Q.P.R. (woah!!)
Monday, Dec 6, Q.P.R v Everton
Saturday, Dec 18, Q.P.R. v Gillingham (relegation battle)

Not bad, 3 out of 5 at home, two against big time teams and one against a fellow promotee, battling it out to avoid relegation...

Our $6.4M bid for Plymouth's Youssouf Hersi has been accepted. He's currently earning $20.5k per week but is looking for a good increase in wage. He's looking for a 3 year deal at $38.5k per week with a signing fee of $700k and a $1,000 assist bonus. Bruno Conti seems to think that $31k per week would be reasonable. I offer him $32k per week with a $500k signing fee as a first team member (down from key member). I also boost the assist bonus from $1,000 to $4,000 as I'd want him to really be the sparkplug behind my strikers...

July 25, 2010
Celestine Babayaro signs with Bolton. He mentions rejecting offers from some clubs, but our name never comes up, he never even considered our offer, oh well...

My scouts get back to me regarding Jefferson, the Brazillian keeper. They both say he would instantly command a spot on our first team and that it's unlikely that there would be complication for a work permit, given the calibre of the player. He has a continental reputation. He's valued at $8M, I offer them that...

My bid for Mfundo Shumana is accepted. He's looking for $20.5k per week and a 52k signing fee. He's currently earning $1850 per week and Conti thinks we could offer him up to $24.5k per week. I offer him $16.5k per week and 52k signing fee based on the fact that it's almost 9 times what he's currently earning...

Our bid for Freddy Guarin, which I thought was very generous, is rejected. I let it be, for now...

July 26, 2010
Canada appoints Pat Ercoli as the new Team Canada coach in succession to Frank Yallop. He's an unknown fellow, currently coaching the Rochester team in what I think is League A. I was intrigued by the post, but never really interested by it. I'm still too new to the whole thing to think about taking over a National Team in addition of a club. That and I feared that my Team Board wouldn't have been happy with me splitting time between the two. I'll definitely need all my time at Loftus Road for us to simply avoid demotion...

Youssouf Hersi's agent announced that his client has rejected our contract offer. The player feels he is deserving of a better basic salary and is looking for me to indicate I will give him a key role in the team. His agent stated that Hersi will proceed with further negotiations, insisting that a significantly improved offer would be needed if terms were to be agreed. I sweeten my deal, offering him $36k per week with a $600k signing fee, not a bad offer, compared to the $38.5k and $700k signing fee he is still looking for. I also tell him he'll be a key member of our squad.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #55
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

July 26, 2010
We play Rangers at Loftus Road. What better setup than the Queens Park Rangers hosting the Scottish Rangers, huh?

We're off to a flyer in the 4th minute, when Andrew Johnson converts a free kick played short by Keigan Parker. Top corner it goes. Funny how roles seem to be reversed so far this preseason, as Parker is feeding the ball to AJ more often and AJ keeps converting them into goals. Either way, I like goals

The half ends with us ahead 1-0. We're pressuring them real hard, still playing our patient 4-4-2 formation. Shots are 10(4) for us, 3(1) for them.

We'll add another goal very late, in the 83rd minute, when Justin Wall converts after a great triangle of passes that had their defense confused...

Final Score: 2-0

We outshot them 16(6) to 8(2) and played really well as a team. I like that. I don't know much about Rangers, but always thought they were a good team. Not saying they didn't play well, or that we outrageously beat them, but I'm happy with the result against a good club like Rangers...

Paul Davies got rated at 8 and their keeper was named Man of the Match. Most important thing, no injuries!!!

July 27, 2010
Our bid for Phil Townley has been accepted. He wants $24k per week with a signing fee of $600k for a 3 year deal, also with a 15% yearly wage increase. I drop the yearly increase and offer him what else he wants.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #56
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

July 28, 2010
Our bid for Jefferson is rejected. I'm unsure now. When asking all my coaches about Kasper Schmeichel, they are all saying that the 23yo is showing a great deal of potential. Maybe we could get by with him, hope he'll develop a bit more. I still make a crazy bid for Jefferson, at $11M...

July 29, 2010
I get the news about the Q.P.R. players that have contracts that will expire in the next 12 months. Squad by squad, they are:

Queens Park Rangers
a) Danny Shittu, Ben Watson, Keith Keane,
b) Darren Evans, Nigel Quashie, Mathew Sadler, Lee Mansell, Steve Brooker, John Oster, Igor Biscan

Queens Park Rangers Reserves
John Boyle, Craig Birch, Michael Parker, Chris Day, Mark Taylor

Queens Park Rangers U18
James Wilson, Stuart Kay, Mark Robertson, Daniel Howarth, Michael McDonald

I split the senior squad in two groups. The (a) are players I'd most definitely want to sign to an extention. The (b) are players that I'm either unsure, or quite probably not willing to have sign an extention...

Youssouf Hersi agrees to a deal to join Q.P.R.! And oh boy as this signing caused a lot of waves. First Hersi made it known that he is really optimistic of rising to the challenge of playing at a higher level.

Second I get the simple message stating that the team Chairman, Bill Powell believes this player would be beneficial for the club, and has therefore decided to provide the extra finance needed to finalise the deal.

Then I got a message concerning how mad the Plymouth fans were at Kevin McAllister, their club manager, for selling the popular attacking midfielder. The sale of Hersi to Q.P.R. for just $6.4M has provoked an angry response from the Plymouth fans who felt the player was a big part of the club and has been sold on the cheap.

Finally, I received a personal message from Bill Power, expressing his delight that I have captured the signature of Hersi. Power commented that I was doing an excellent job for the club by signing such a high profile player.

And who is this Youssouf Hersi? He's a 27yo flamboyant midfielder hailing from Holland who had a monstruous season in the Championship for Plymouth last year. In 47 starts, he scored 13 goals, assisted 11 others and was named Man of the Match 10 times. Look at that stats sheet for 2009/10:
StatisticsAppsGlsAstsMoMYelRedTckPassSh TarFoulsFls AgAv R
Non Competitive533020-64 %33 %7-7.60
League41 (4)9117401.5573 %46 %45527.42
Cup6403102.2373 %62 %898.50
Continental---------------
International---------------
Overall47 (4)131110501.6373 %49 %53617.55

On top of that, I feel he's been adjusting to the English football over the last three season, since coming to Plymouth in the middle of the 2007/08 season, look at his stats since coming to Plymouth:
YearTeamDivisionInfoAppsGlsAstsMoMAv R
2009-10PlymouthChampionship47 (4)1311107.55
2008-09PlymouthChampionship47 (1)10937.19
2007-08PlymouthPremier Division$6.2M120217.17
2007-08Heerenveen20007.00
2006-07Heerenveen349277.06
2005-06Heerenveen34 (1)8227.06

Finaly, the player, what is he. I think he'll add good support to our strikers with his good passing, good long shots, and great first touch and ball control skills, as you'll see in his player profile:

I'm really happy with that signing. Mr. Power was right, he's getting everybody excited at Loftus Road

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #57
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

July 30, 2010
We get the news that our August 5 friendly against Liverpool at Loftus Park has been picked up for live TV coverage, nice!

Mfundo Shumana is ecstatic to have agreed on a deal to come to Q.P.R. He said that he is very keen to rise to the challenge or playing for such an illustrious club. He'll need a work permit though and we should get a decision on August 14.

July 31, 2010
Our latest bid for Jefferson has been rejected. I feel that $11M was a lot of money and having spent some on Youssouf Hersi, I don't think I wanna pursue him. I think we'll make do with Schmeichel and Davies for now...

August 1st, 2010
The Team board is back to being delighted with my managerial performance. Woohoo! The season has not even started. They must have really like the Hersi signing.

The supporters are also delighted about the signing of Youssouf Hersi. They are very pleased with the progress the team has been making.

Igor Nadal Lázaro arrives to the club from Real Madrid. The 23yo Spaniard striker comes as a free transfer and should give us some good depth up front. I'd describe him as a physical phenom with good if not great all around skills for an attacker, other than his finishing, where he is indeed great, as you can see from his player profile.

He's also pretty good at moving into space when the team has the ball. His arrival at the club pushed Steve Brooker further down the team's striker depth chart.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #58
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 1, 2010
PkdInfNamePositionMoraleFormConAppsGlsAv Rat
GKUnhPaul DaviesGKVery Good7-7-8-7-8100%---
DRUnhJohn DaviesD RSuperb8-7-7-7-792%---
DLMathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-7-7-799%---
DCDavid Marek RozehnalD CGood7-7-7-797%---
DCDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-7-6-7100%---
DMCFábio RochembackDM CVery Poor7-796%---
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb7-7-7-7-789%---
MLTom HowellD/DM LSuperb9-7-7-7-798%---
AMCYoussouf HersiAM COkay-91%---
FCIgor Nadal LázaroS CSuperb-98%---
FCAndrew JohnsonS CSuperb8-7-7-7-796%---
S1Kasper SchmeichelGKSuperb7-8-7-7-7100%---
S2Keith KeaneD/DM RCSuperb7-7-795%---
S3Matthew BatesD LCSuperb7-8-7-7-796%---
S4UnhDarren EvansD CSuperb6-6-7-7-795%---
S5Igor BiscanD/DM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
S6Marc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-799%---
S7Lee MansellAM CSuperb7-7-7-7-796%---
S8Marcus KellyAM RLSuperb10-8-8-7-798%---
S9LmpChris ChapmanM LCSuperb7-8-8-7-782%---
S10UnhJustin WallF LCSuperb7-7-7-797%---
S11Keigan ParkerS CSuperb7-7-9-7-798%---
S12UnhSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-7-793%---
-InjCraig CraneD RSuperb7-7-7-7-777%---
-InjJeppe Lund CurthF CSuperb6-7-8-7-726%---
-Ricky HansonD/DM/F RCSuperb5-7-7-7-796%---
-UnhNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb8-7-6-7-799%---
-LstJohn OsterAM RLOkay7-7-7-7-773%---
-InjNigel QuashieM CSuperb7-7-6-7-745%---
-InjBen WatsonM CSuperb7-7-7-7-760%---

We play Nottingham Forest on their pitch.

For this match, given the two new signees on our midfield, I'm gonna try a new formation. It's basically a wide 4-1-2-1-2 formation that goes like this:

I see Youssouh Hersi and Fábio Rochemback as the anchors of this new formation, respectively on top and at the bottom of the field. I change nothing of my team instructions, meaning that we'll play our trademark patient ball control football that has served us well so far. The starting lineup is not my definitive starting lineup, as I have players who are already match fit, so I won't play them as much. It's a bit why Tom Howell is starting instead of Marcus Kelly on the left wing.

The half ends scoreless but we're outshooting them 7(5) to 2(1). We're also eating them up in the midfield. Our global possession numbers are 12-32-13 (percentages on our end-middle-their end) to 12-20-11 (again our end-middle-their end) Their keeper is keeping them in the game, currently rated at 9.

It takes us the whole second half before a couple of Justin Wall goals make it quick 2-0 for us. First in the 82nd minute, when he converted a 50 yard long pass from Igor Biscan, then 3 minutes later, when he converted a headed centre from Marcus Kelly. He almost added a third for the hat trick moments later, but his shot grazed the cross bar.

Final Score: 2-0

We outshot them 13(9) to 4(1). I like that formation and how the ball moved on the field, albeit against possibly a lower calibre team. Funny how I come to refer to Nottm Forest, big competition for us last season, as a "low calibre" team

Justin Wall is named Man of the Match with a rating of 8 and 2 goals.

Keith Keane is also rated at 8. Marc Bircham suffered a minor injury in the game.

Turns out Bircham's injury wasn't so minor, he'll miss two weeks with a twisted knee.

Following the game, it hits me that the season starts in two weeks, so I take one more look at possible players and I see a 25yo left full-back that would be great for us. He's a colombian named Cesar Augusto Fawcett and he's currently playing with Rangers but he didn't play against us. He's got great all around skills and a continental reputation. He is currently valued at $5.6M. I offer them that.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 11:53 AM   #59
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 3, 2010
Craig Crane
resumes training following his surgery and subsequent physiotherap sessions. Hrm, it's unclear how much I want him on the field now. Keith Keane is playing well and once he'll be settled at the club, I feel he may be better than Crane. John Davies is also a very talented youngster, probably more so than Crane. I may transfer list Crane sooner rather than later...

Ukbetting.com announces the English Premier Division title odds. Arsenal have been made 6-4 favourites to win the English Premier Division title this season. The rest of the contenders are price at: 7-4 for Manchester United, 2-1 for Chelsea, 2-1 for Liverpool, 25-1 for Newcastle, and 25-1 for Manchester City.

With prices for Q.P.R. starting at 2000-1, the bookmakers appear convinced that your team lacks the quality to mount any sort of title challenge in your first season up and that you would do well to stay in the division.

I knew we we're heavy favourite... for demotion, but 2000-1!!!

Following the odds announcement, A journalist from London's Evening Standard approaches me with a question that goes like this: "The bookies are tipping you for relegation this season. Do you think you will have to bolster your squad in order to stay up?"

hrm, what to answer? I don't want everybody to call it a day before the season has even started, but let's be realistic, we could use some help... I answer that I think that by getting in one or two players, we should have a squad capable of avoiding the drop.

I felt that it was positive enough, better than saying something like "we will drop unless I bring a whole new starting 11" and more realistic than saying something like "nah, we don't need anybody, we'll be just fine"...

Well, looks like that answer of mine had a few of my players worried. Danny Shittu, Matt Cross, Andrew Johnson, and Craig Crane are all unsure whether they can perform well amid constant speculation surrounding their future at the club. Of these four, Crane and Cross are maybe on the bubble, Crane more than Cross, but AJ and Big Dan don't have anything to fear for their job. Especially Big Dan, who's really the anchor of our defense. AJ, well it will depend on how he develops over the course of the season...

Our bid for César Augusto Fawcett is rejected. I offer them $7.5M + 10% of next sale...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #60
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Quote:
Igor Nadal Lázaro arrives to the club from Real Madrid. The 23yo Spaniard striker comes as a free transfer and should give us some good depth up front. I'd describe him as a physical phenom with good if not great all around skills for an attacker, other than his finishing, where he is indeed great, as you can see from his player profile.

He's also pretty good at moving into space when the team has the ball. His arrival at the club pushed Steve Brooker further down the team's striker depth chart.

FM

He seems very studious from his picture as well. He might bring a whole new level of culture and turtlenecks to the squad.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #61
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Jim
He seems very studious from his picture as well. He might bring a whole new level of culture and turtlenecks to the squad.

LOL!

Yeah, as crazy as that sounds, that picture kept me from bidding on him at first. Just too much of a poet look for my taste Let's hope the team won't follow suit and all wear powder blue turtlenecks for cold weather games, that'd be ugly

At least the Commercial director didn't say this signing would significantly raise the number of shirt sales, or else I would have had to assume he meant turtlenecks shirts

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #62
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 5, 2010
We play Liverpool at Loftus Road. This is our only friendly against a club from the Premiership and it's a big one. Liverpool has not finished lower than 5th in the last 11 seasons. They finished 7th in 1998/99 and before that, there were four more seasons of finishing either 3rd or 4th...
This game is on TV and key mean are presented as being Marcus Kelly for us and Roque Santa Cruz for them. It's the first time that TV commentators have not picked Danny Shittu as our key man. Gotta mean something as far as how big Marcus has become for the team... Their prediction has Liverpool as 1-2 favourites.

Before the game, I switch every player to a position specific training schedule.

We go 4-1-2-1-2 again.

With the emergence of John Davies and the signing of Keith Keane, Craig Crane is really the odd man out at right full back at the moment. Bruno Conti still thinks I should start him at that position, but I beg to differ. We'll see how it works out.

They score two goals in the first half, both of them coming off corner kicks. I call that being unlucky because we're definitely holding our ground even though the half ends with us down 0-2. Shots are 6)5) for us, 4(3) for them and we're winning possession with 59%. They're barely touching the ball in the midfield and are definitely not putting a killer amount of pressure on our defenders. Igor Lázaro had an ugly first half, rating at 4, I guess he got impressed by the big names on the other side of the pitch... Matt Cross is not doing much better, rating at 5 after one half. Marcus Kelly had to leave the pitch, injured, in the 34th minute. Let's hope he won't miss considerable time.

Final Score: 0-2

Not much happened in the second half but we held our own. It's a nice effort, despite the loss. Their two goals were sort of lucky goals, coming off corner kicks. Yeah, good teams don't let these goals happen, but I can't believe we'll let two goals in from corner kicks every game...

Paul Davies rated at 8 in this game. We suffered two injuries. Marcus Kelly sprained his wrist and will miss a week. Our season opener is in 9 days, maybe he'll be all right. Andrew Johnson had a gashed head and will miss 3 days.

After seeing that Derby had put in a bid to loan Fulham's 26yo right winger Malik Buari, I think it may be a good idea to do the same, so I do. I wasn't too impressed with Matt Cross' choke job against Liverpool. Granted, it may not happen again until midseason, but still I'd rather have two good wingers, one I would almost not pay, than be stuck with a starstruck kid who's not up to the level I need him to play.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #63
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 7, 2010
Our bid for César Augusto Fawcett is rejected again. We have $24M in the bank account. I offer them $10M + 10% of next sale. I also declare my interest for him, without much effect.

August 8, 2010
Dang, Phil Townley agrees to a deal with us, but the move has to be delayed due to a lack of funds. I'm guessing the extra funds offer from the board was a one shot kind of deal... I ask to delay the transfer for one week.

I also go to the board and request extra transfer funds, to which the Board politely remind me that they have yet to see a return from the money spent. Dang! I'm screwed on that one... I'm not about to give them a utlimatum either, heh...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #64
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 8, 2010
GKKasper SchmeichelGKSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
DRKeith KeaneD/DM RCSuperb7-7-7-8-795%---
DLMatthew BatesD LCSuperb7-7-7-7-794%---
DCIgor BiscanD/DM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
DCDanny ShittuD CGood7-6-7-7-7100%---
DMCChris ChapmanM LCSuperb8-7-7-7-790%---
MRUnhNathan JamesonM RLCSuperb7-6-7-7-791%---
MLTom HowellD/DM LSuperb7-7-7-7-799%---
AMCYoussouf HersiAM CGood7-796%---
FCKeigan ParkerS CSuperb9-7-7-7-795%---
FCAndrew JohnsonS CGood7-7-7-7-790%---
S1UnhPaul DaviesGKVery Good8-7-8-7-8100%---
S2Craig CraneD RVery Good7-7-7-7-796%---
S3Mathew SadlerD LSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
S4UnhDarren EvansD CSuperb7-7-7-7-793%---
S5David Marek RozehnalD CVery Good7-7-7-7-797%---
S6Fábio RochembackDM CVery Poor7-7-8-792%---
S7Lee MansellAM CSuperb7-7-7-7-793%---
S8LstJohn OsterAM RLPoor7-7-7-7-795%---
S9Matt CrossAM/F RCGood7-7-7-7-595%---
S10UnhJustin WallF LCSuperb7-7-7-7-8100%---
S11Igor Nadal LázaroS CSuperb7-493%---
S12UnhSteve BrookerS CSuperb7-7-7-7-791%---
-InjMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-775%---
-InjJohn DaviesD RSuperb7-7-7-7-783%---
-Ricky HansonD/DM/F RCSuperb5-7-7-7-7100%---
-InjMarcus KellyAM RLSuperb8-7-7-7-774%---
-InjNigel QuashieM CGood7-7-6-7-735%---
-InjBen WatsonM CSuperb7-7-7-7-750%---

We play our final friendly of this preseason, at Loftus Road against Ajax.

The crowd goes wild in the 33rd minute as Youssouf Hersi caps a great Q.P.R. move and scores his first goal as a Ranger.

The half ends with us ahead 1-0. Shots are 4(2) for us, 4(0) for them. Possession is pretty even between the two sides...

Not much happens and 1-0 is the final score.

They outshot us on the game, 8(2) to 6(3). Everybody on our side rated at 7, and we come out of it without any new injuries, weehee!

So, after 7 friendlies, we end up with 4 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss. That's not too shabby since I consider we played a few good teams in these games...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:21 PM   #65
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 9, 2010
As I did last season, I'll present the first ten games of the season, with some sort of commentary on the first 5...

1) 08/14, away, Portsmouth
They finished in 10th last year, not much to report on them. Wouldn't expect too much, since it'll be our first Premiership match and I had our friendlies bundled toward the end of the preseason, while they have not played since July 31st, they'll be well rested.

2) 08/18, home, Southampton
They promoted with us last season and will be fighting with us to stay out of the relegation zone. We split with them last season, winning 3-0 at home, losing 1-2 away.

3) 08/21, away, Newcastle
They finished 6th last season and are usually sure bets to finish in the top 10.

4) 08/25, home, Tottenham
They finished 11th last season, but used to be a top 6 club. May be on the decline.

5) 08/29, away, Manchester United
Huge game on TV, at Old Trafford no less. They finished 4th last season, their lowest finish since the 1990/91 season, when they finished 6th. Let's hope our guys won't get the jitters... This game will also cap the first two weeks that will have seen us play 5 games in two weeks...

6) 09/11, home, Wigan

7) 09/18, home, Middlesbrough

8) 09/25, away, Liverpool

9) 10/02, home, Birmingham

10) 10/06, away, Fulham

It's kind of weird that we'll play 5 in two weeks of play in August and only 3 in a full month of September...

It's SPAM time!!! In an effort to clean up the roster, I offer a bunch of players around, with various prices...

August 10, 2010
Fulham have accepted our bid to loan Malik Buari. Now to see if he accepts to come play for us on a 3 month loan.

August 11, 2010
Oops, our bid for César Augusto Fawcetts has been accepted. Weird thing is he's asking less to sign with us than what he's currently making with Rangers. He wants $46k per week with a signing fee of only $180k. He's currently earning $48k per week. I offer him what he wants, but bump the minimum fee release from $10.5M to what I would pay for him, $11M.

The transfer will probably hit the wall, but oh well...

August 12, 2010
We got a ton and a half of no's in answer to the SPAMfest I just did, but we got one bid! Crewe put in a bid of $2M for Darren Evans. It's what we were asking for the centre-back valued at $3.4M. I accept the bid.

August 14, 2010
César Augsto Fawcett
agrees to deal to join Q.P.R. but as expected, the transfer hits a wall. We don't have the funds to make it happen. I ask for a one week delay, not sure why...

The very same day, we get the news that Mfundo Shumana has been granted a conditional work permit, and can join our club, but he won't since we don't have the measley $220k to make the transfer happen. I also ask for a one week delay...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #66
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Open question to my readers: Given the moves that have been made, and what little you know about the team, do you think the Rangers will be able to avoid relegation from the Premiership?
I look forward to read your comments

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #67
condors
College Starter

no drop for you!

your possession against Liverpool showed you may fare better than you think. I am not suggestion a top 6 spot but 14th for the first season is my predicition with improvements to follow.

Give Igor some time if he stays healthy i think he will bag 15+ for you this year in the league.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM   #68
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think mid-table is doable.

If your kids gel, MAYBE a run at Euro spots throughout the year
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #69
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 14, 2010
GKKasper SchmeichelGKSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
DRKeith KeaneD/DM RCSuperb7-7-8-7-797%---
DLMathew SadlerD LSuperb7-7-7-7-798%---
DCIgor BiscanD/DM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
DCDanny ShittuD CGood6-7-7-7-7100%---
DMCFábio RochembackDM CVery Poor7-7-8-7-798%---
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCGood7-7-7-5-797%---
MLTom HowellD/DM LVery Good7-7-7-7-7100%---
AMCYoussouf HersiAM CGood7-7-798%---
FCKeigan ParkerS CSuperb7-7-7-7-799%---
FCAndrew JohnsonS CGood7-7-7-7-795%---
S1UnhPaul DaviesGKVery Good7-8-7-8-7100%---
S2David Marek RozehnalD CVery Good7-7-7-7-799%---
S3Chris ChapmanM LCSuperb7-7-7-7-794%---
S4Igor Nadal LázaroS CSuperb7-4-798%---
S5LstJohn OsterAM RLPoor7-7-7-7-791%---
-InjMarc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-777%---
-InjNigel QuashieM CGood7-7-6-7-743%---
-InjBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-7-7-743%---
-InjMarcus KellyAM RLSuperb8-7-7-7-772%---
-Matthew BatesD LCSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
-BidDarren EvansD CSuperb7-7-7-7-796%---
-UnhJohn DaviesD RSuperb7-7-7-7-793%---
-Craig CraneD RVery Good7-7-7-7-794%---

We play our first match in the Premiership, away at Portsmouth. They finished 10th last season.

Before the game, I send many players to the reserves squad. Among them, Ricky Hanson, Lee Mansell, Steve Brooker, and Nathan Jameson.

Funny fact, none of my top three middies of a season ago (Quashie, Bircham, Watson) is in the lineup for the start of this season, not even on the bench...

We go 4-1-2-1-2 again... I've been impressed enough with John Oster's moves on the wing to give him the backup winger spot.

Well, here we go...

And it's a rough start, as they score on a great move through the middle.

We control the ball well the rest of the half though and the halftime score is just that, 0-1. Danny Shittu headed a corner kick just over the cross bar during injury time. Shots only 4(1) for us, 7(1) for them. They are shooting from the perimeter as we are controlling the ball fairly well with 55%.

Keigan Parker hits a post in the 43rd minute and they take the ball forward. We're pace for pace with them, but the ball takes a lucky bounce and it's loose in our penalty area. They convert it for the 0-2 goal... Kasper Schmeichel is rated at 5 after that second goal. They have two shots on target and two goals. I pull him after that second goal, putting in Paul Davies.

They add another goal in the first minute of injury time, as a free kick is send to a man on the edge of our penalty box.

Final Score: 0-3

They did outshot us 15(5) to 9(3) but I never felt like we were being outclassed. Still, it's a big loss to open the season.

We're sitting in 20th place out of 20 teams. I guess there's nowhere to go but up, isn't it what they say?

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #70
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 15, 2010
Nigel Quashie
resumes full training following his injury. Not too sure we have many spots open for him, but he's still a good middie.

Dang son of a gun! Darren Evans snubs Crewe! He feels the contract they offered wasn't acceptable. He is not enthusiatsic about playing in a lower division and feels part of his local community and would fin it difficult to start again somewhere else. DAMNIT KID!!! YOU... ARE... 19!!! TAKE WHAT WE GIVE YOU!!! GRRRRR. Safe to say that he just earned a long term lease in my doghouse...

Malik Buari agrees to join us on loan for 3 months. Here's his player profile:

He could be a solid right winger for us, will give him possibly extended playing time. He's currently transfer listed by Fulham, so I could even put in a bid if we ever find some transfer budget at some point...

August 16, 2010
Tom Howell
suffers a damaged neck and will miss 2 weeks. He played left wing in our first game and the plan was to play him at left full back when Kelly would be ready to start, now, we're back to the usual suspects at left full back...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #71
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by condors
no drop for you!

your possession against Liverpool showed you may fare better than you think. I am not suggestion a top 6 spot but 14th for the first season is my predicition with improvements to follow.

Thanks for the prediction, honestly, the preseason has given me hope for the season too...

Quote:
Give Igor some time if he stays healthy i think he will bag 15+ for you this year in the league.

You think so? When I saw him the first time, he reminded me of Keigan Parker a lot. Amazing finishing with good to great physical skills. Keigan did give me 20+ last season, but I think the kid needs a bit more seasoning. Hopefully he can learn in the wings and provide good depth should anything happen to somebody up front...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #72
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I think mid-table is doable.

If your kids gel, MAYBE a run at Euro spots throughout the year

Thanks for the prediction.

Not that I have ever thought about finishing higher than 17th, thus simply avoiding relegation, but it's my first season in the Premiership, EVER, and I was wondering who gets to play in what Euro competition? I vaguely remember seeing the list of who was selected for what in the offseason, but didn't pay much attention to it. I think I remember some 8 or 9 club names on that list, split up among Champions Cup, Euro Cup, Euro Vase (I think)... If you can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate.

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #73
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

oh, and I should post some position by position rundown of the team's roster at some point. I'm just too excited to be playing these days, so it may take some time, but I'll do it, someday

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #74
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the prediction.

Not that I have ever thought about finishing higher than 17th, thus simply avoiding relegation, but it's my first season in the Premiership, EVER, and I was wondering who gets to play in what Euro competition? I vaguely remember seeing the list of who was selected for what in the offseason, but didn't pay much attention to it. I think I remember some 8 or 9 club names on that list, split up among Champions Cup, Euro Cup, Euro Vase (I think)... If you can shed some light on that, I'd appreciate.

FM

How many spots you get is tied to how your country's teams do in european competition. If you go to the Champions League and check Coefficients or Seedings or something (not at home, I'll check when I get home).. you'll see.

For example, it might go like this:

1st through 4th: European Champions League (Champions Cup): (1st and 2nd go straight to the Group Stage, 3rd and 4th enter at the Qualifying Rounds)

5th through (maybe) 7th: UEFA Cup (Euro Cup) (entering at certain levels) Entering at various levels depending on how they did. However, two spots in the UEFA Cup are reserved for teams that win the two cup competitions in England (the League Cup, and the FA Cup) If they're already in (finished in the top 5), then the runner up gets the spot, if they're both in, then the next team (6th place) gets the UEFA Cup berth. (if all four cup finalist teams are in at this point, 7th place gets the final berth

(Maybe) 8th and 9th: Inter Toto Cup (Euro Vase) offers three teams berths in the Euro Cup. Some leagues offer the final inter-toto cup based on fair-play rrecords (ie, the team among those applying for it, who have the best record at avoiding yellow and red cards).
Old 04-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ah,here's the english FA's guide to European qualification:

As a result of England's place in the UEFA Coefficient Rankings, England has four places in the UEFA Champions League and three places in the UEFA Cup.

Champions League

* England is entitled to four places in the Champions League, i.e. the four top-placed teams in the Premiership.
* If an English team wins the Champions League and finishes in the top four, we do not gain an extra place.
* If an English team wins the Champions League and do not finish in the top four, The FA can request that this team qualify automatically for the Champions League, but the fourth-placed team in the Premiership is entered into the UEFA Cup.

UEFA Cup

* England is entitled to three places: one for the fifth-placed team in the Premiership, one for The FA Cup, and one for the League Cup.
* If the winners of The FA Cup have qualified for Europe by other means, then the runners-up take their UEFA Cup place. If this team has also already qualified, then the UEFA Cup place goes to the next-placed team in the Premiership.
* If the winners of the League Cup have qualified for Europe by other means, then the runners-up do not take their UEFA Cup place: the UEFA Cup place goes to the next-placed team in the Premiership.
* If an English team wins the UEFA Cup and qualifies for the Champions League by their Premiership placing, then they qualify for the Champions League. If they win the UEFA Cup and qualify for the UEFA Cup through the Premiership or the cup competitions, then England does not gain an extra place. If they have not qualified for Europe through the Premiership or the cup competitions, then they qualify for the UEFA Cup as an extra team.

Fair Play

* In addition, three places in the UEFA Cup are reserved for Fair Play placings.
* UEFA compile a Fair Play table of countries based on the performances of their national teams and clubs in Europe.
* The top-placed team in that country's Fair Play table then qualifies.
* Furthermore, the remaining countries with a Fair Play coefficient above a certain mark are placed in a draw. Two countries are drawn and their "fairest" teams also qualify.

Intertoto Cup

* England has two places in the Intertoto Cup.
* Clubs in the Premiership who finish above the bottom three places (i.e. are not relegated) are eligible to apply for a place.
* The places in the competition go to the two sides that finish highest in the Premiership of those that applied for a place.

How the system works - The UEFA Coefficient Rankings

The UEFA Coefficient Ranking of UEFA member associations, compiled according to clubs' performances in Europe, is the system by which places in UEFA's European competitions are determined.

UEFA recently published the latest version of the Coefficient table which saw Spain remain at the top of the table, with England having taken second position from Italy.

This final version was used to establish seedings for the participants in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup this season (2004/05) and also determines the number of entries per competition for member associations in 2005/06.

Calculation method

* Performances by clubs in the Champions League and UEFA Cup but not results obtained in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, conspire to form the annual UEFA Association Coefficient Rankings table, with the 'oldest' season dropped each time for the purpose of the calculation.

Coefficient value

* The points obtained each season by the clubs representing a national association are first added together, then divided by the combined number of clubs from the said association having taken part in the two UEFA club competitions in question to produce the coefficient value of the national association concerned.

Table of coefficients

* The table of coefficients, which are calculated to the thousandth and not rounded up, is compiled as follows:
o a win is worth 2 points (1 point for qualifying-round matches)
o a draw is worth 1 point (1/2 point for qualifying-round matches)
o a defeat is worth 0 points.

Extra points

* Clubs which reach the quarter-finals, semi-finals or final of the Champions League or UEFA Cup are awarded an extra point for each such round.
* In addition, one point is awarded for participation in the Champions League.

Final decision

* In the case of equal coefficients, the UEFA Administration will take a final decision, taking into consideration the individual coefficient of the most recent season.
* Games or competitions decided by penalty kicks do not affect the results of a match and points are only awarded for games which have been played in accordance with the results ratified by UEFA.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #76
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks, as you can sense from all my comments, I'm very happy with the signing.

Yeah, I've been meaning to look him up, see what's behind that, but I always forget to. At the moment, Jefferson struck me as funny. You get used to exotic sounding nicknames, but to see Jefferson, I found it funny... it may be just me though

FM

I had a Brazilian named Mike in my game.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #77
Desnudo
Coordinator

The top 4 teams in the EPL qualify for the CL, with the top 2 going into group play automatically. #5 + the two cup winners qualify for the UEFA Cup. If the cup winners are in the top 5, then 6 and/or 7 also qualify. 8-9 get the Intertoto Cup. You can see the rules by going to Standings/View/Rules.

My prediction: 16th. You should be able to beat out the other two promotees and at least one EPL team.

Also, any chance of a screenshot of Guarin? I'd like to see how he compares to the Guarin in my game.

Last edited by Desnudo : 04-12-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #78
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
The top 4 teams in the EPL qualify for the CL, with the top 2 going into group play automatically. #5 + the two cup winners qualify for the UEFA Cup. If the cup winners are in the top 5, then 6 and/or 7 also qualify. 8-9 get the Intertoto Cup. You can see the rules by going to Standings/View/Rules.
Thanks for this succinct version. I'll read SirFozzie's version tomorrow, or I'll print it out to read it before going to bed tonight

Quote:

My prediction: 16th. You should be able to beat out the other two promotees and at least one EPL team.

Also, any chance of a screenshot of Guarin? I'd like to see how he compares to the Guarin in my game.
Thanks for the prediction. 16th is about what I'd hope for and what I think would be realistic in a first year in the Premiership.

As for Guarin, I'll try to remember to save a screenshot of his profile. This went unreported, but he was transferred to Werder Bremen in my game...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-12-2005 at 07:47 PM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #79
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
your possession against Liverpool showed you may fare better than you think.

regarding possession, I meant to ask you about that. Were you able to replicate this with your own squad and the tactic I emailed you? Just curious to see if it's only specific to my team or if you were abel to adapt it to your players...

FM
Old 04-12-2005, 10:08 PM   #80
robbgmaier
College Prospect

I like to think that you have good shot of at least keeping it competitive to stay up. Your new formation worries me though. Hope you know what you're doing
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #81
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I like Lázaro's signing as well. He's my favourite type of cheap prospect in CM/FM: mediocre-to-average tool everywhere EXCEPT what he needs most at his position. Off the ball is the second thing I look at after finishing with strikers and he's got oodles of both. First touch could use improvement but he's got pace to burn. He'll probably need to be paired with a forward who can create for him but should be able to score plenty. The only thing is he may need some time to adapt to a new country and club so be patient.

I DEFINITELY like the combination of Hersi and Rochembeck. Hopefully, you'll find a winger who can take advantage of the left winger position to connect between the two of them.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #82
condors
College Starter

Quote:
regarding possession, I meant to ask you about that. Were you able to replicate this with your own squad and the tactic I emailed you? Just curious to see if it's only specific to my team or if you were abel to adapt it to your players...

FM

never got the tactic to load. it looks like a empty zip file.

I went to a 4-5-1 with arrows up on the two left and two right 1 back on the center and my possesion seems much better. (playing with columbus and i have Cunningham and nobody else traded bundle for a midfielder)
Old 04-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #83
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbgmaier
I like to think that you have good shot of at least keeping it competitive to stay up. Your new formation worries me though. Hope you know what you're doing

For sake of discussion, what worries you in the new formation? (this will be my only question/comment for now as I don't want to spoil what has happened so far but has not yet been reported...)

As for knowing what I'm doing, I wouldn't put all your money on that, hehe, but I'm having tons of fun isn't it what counts?

Talking about fun, my son, the infamous Andrew, came next to me over the weekend, still enquiring about Luton. I guess he thought I had restarted with them or something and I reminded him they had sacked me and he asked me why. When I told him it was because we were not winning and they were not happy with that, he replied to me that having fun was the most important, that winning wasn't the only thing. I was crushed, I had to explain to him that higher levels, people are getting paid many, many dollars to play a game... He went, "oh, really?" Was just too cute...

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 AM   #84
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I like Lázaro's signing as well. He's my favourite type of cheap prospect in CM/FM: mediocre-to-average tool everywhere EXCEPT what he needs most at his position. Off the ball is the second thing I look at after finishing with strikers and he's got oodles of both. First touch could use improvement but he's got pace to burn. He'll probably need to be paired with a forward who can create for him but should be able to score plenty. The only thing is he may need some time to adapt to a new country and club so be patient.

Yeah, as I said before, he reminded me of Keigan Parker, who scored a bundle of goals for us, and to some extent of Jeppe Lund Curth. Jeppe is a bit more versatile and could be that creator of opportunities for Igor when he comes back. Being patient with Igor shouldn't be a problem. For now, he'll be coming off the bench as long as Parker and Johnson are healthy, and I'll take whatever he'll give me. Curth is still 4 months away from coming back from his broken leg, so that should give Igor plenty of time to get used to playing in England...

Quote:
I DEFINITELY like the combination of Hersi and Rochembeck. Hopefully, you'll find a winger who can take advantage of the left winger position to connect between the two of them.

On the left side, I got Marcus Kelly, whom I trust immensely. It's the right side who got me worried, with Matt Cross still to prove himself. He spent a big part of last season "feeling the pressure of public expectation". Well, there'll be tons more expected from the public in the Premiership. We'll see how he bounces back this season. I also have Scott Donnelly on my reserves squad. Scott has been developping nicely the last two seasons, I may try him if Cross fails to produce...

As for Hersi and Rochemback, they rock!

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #85
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
never got the tactic to load. it looks like a empty zip file.

I went to a 4-5-1 with arrows up on the two left and two right 1 back on the center and my possesion seems much better. (playing with columbus and i have Cunningham and nobody else traded bundle for a midfielder)

hrm, that's odd. You want me to try sending it over again?

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #86
condors
College Starter

Quote:
hrm, that's odd. You want me to try sending it over again?

FM

please
Old 04-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #87
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 18, 2010
GKKasper SchmeichelGKVery Poor7-7-7-7-5100%1-5.00
DRKeith KeaneD/DM RCVery Good7-8-7-7-795%1-7.00
DLMathew SadlerD LVery Good7-7-7-7-794%1-7.00
DCIgor BiscanD/DM CGood7-7-7-7-797%1-7.00
DCDanny ShittuD COkay7-7-7-7-798%1-7.00
DMCFábio RochembackDM CVery Poor7-8-7-7-795%1-7.00
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCOkay7-7-5-7-794%1-7.00
MLMarcus KellyAM RLSuperb8-7-7-7-791%---
AMCYoussouf HersiAM COkay7-7-7-794%1-7.00
FCKeigan ParkerS CGood7-7-7-7-695%1-6.00
FCAndrew JohnsonS COkay7-7-7-7-794%1-7.00
S1UnhPaul DaviesGKVery Good8-7-8-7-7100%0 (1)-7.00
S2David Marek RozehnalD CVery Good7-7-7-7-7100%---
S3Chris ChapmanM LCSuperb7-7-7-7-799%---
S4Igor Nadal LázaroS COkay7-4-7-6100%0 (1)-6.00
S5LstJohn OsterAM RLPoor7-7-7-7-796%---
-Matthew BatesD LCSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
-Marc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-793%---
-Craig CraneD RVery Good7-7-7-7-798%---
-UnhJohn DaviesD RSuperb7-7-7-7-798%---
-InjTom HowellD/DM LOkay7-7-7-7-772%1-7.00
-LmpNigel QuashieM CGood7-7-6-7-773%---
-InjBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-7-7-738%---

Match #2: we play Southampton at Loftus Road. Just like us, they also lost by a good margin in they first game, 1-3 to Wigan.

It's a very important early game for us, as Southampton is clearly a team with which we'll be fighting for a place out of the drop zone. Hate to say that this early, but it's a must win. We're at home, yet they are 5-4 favourites to win this one...

I leave Kasper Schmeichel as the starting keeper, hoping he'll rebound, but he'll definitely be on a short leash.

I didn't report this, but we finished last game in the 4-4-2 formation (starting at halftime) and in fact started losing possession when we left the 4-1-2-1-2 formation. We open this game with the 4-1-2-1-2 formation again.

Marcus Kelly is back in as the starting left winger, much closer to 100% and full match fitness.

We come out clawing and before the game is 12 minutes old, we're up by two, weeeehhh!!!! First off, Youssouf Hersi plays a lovely ball for Keigan Parker on the right. Parker gets past one defender and launches what looks like a very weak shot on goal. Turns out the shot was deflected by a defender and the keeper can't adjust to the deflection. Then, in the 11th minute, as Andrew Johnson is running toward their goal, he's getting caught from behind. He's keeping the ball away from their middie, but the middie tries a sliced clearance but the ball goes toward their net and the keeper again can't adjust to the weird ball. With 3 shots, but none on target, we're up 2-0.

We add another one in the 32nd minute when Danny Shittu wrestles the ball away from one of their strikers. Quick pass to Youssouf Hersi, which he converts into a lovely ball for a Keigan Parker on the move. He's so alone with the keeper, like the good old days, he can't miss, and he doesn't! Up 3-0!

They get one back very late in the the half, on a nice centered ball to the 6 yard box.

The half ends 3-1 and we're outshooting them outrageously, 12(3) to 3(2). We're also controlling the ball pretty well, with 56%, split 10-26-20, so very heavily toward their end of the field, I like that.

Mathew Sadler makes a couple moves that make me real nervous in the second half, but we hang on and close the door to their attacks.

Final Score: 3-1

We outshot them 17(5) to 6(4) on the game after pulling back in the second half.

Youssouf Hersi is named Man of the Match and for good reasons. He received a form rating of 10, completing 39 of 45 passes, 10 of them key passes and he assisted on 2 goals. Keigan Parker receved a rating of 9 with 2 goals and an assist. Kasper Schmeichel rebounded nicely from his bad performance of game 1 with a rating of 9. Danny Shittu also had a nice game with a rating of 8, winning all of the 15 headers he went for. Sadler got rated at 7, but completed only 19 of his 32 passes, which I find unacceptable for a defender. You can't turn the ball over deep into our end of the field.

It's a big, big win for us, our first in the Premiership! The team board is delighted with the win!

August 20, 2010
Nathan Jameson
goes to the media whining about not being part of the first team. He told a national newspaper that he was disillusioned by my selection policy and that he wants to be guaranteed regular first team football. He also added that he would look to leave Loftus road if he was unable to play every week.

I got some news for you kid, whenever I tried you, you failed to deliver. Look at your stats sheet for 2009/10:
StatisticsAppsGlsAstsMoMYelRedTckPassSh TarFoulsFls AgAv R
Non Competitive17 (5)444101.2880 %42 %25197.23
League4 (14)120202.2680 %80 %666.94
Cup2000003.2792 %-136.00
Continental---------------
International---------------
Overall6 (14)120202.5082 %66 %796.85

That's not the kind of stats sheet that impresses me in the least. Yeah you didn't start many games, but even when I played you as a started, you often times got to the half as the only player on the team still rated at 6. Start packing your bags if you can't take what I'm offering you...

I offer Nigel Quashie around, asking $3.8M for the 32yo defender currently valued at $4.4M...

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #88
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 21, 2010
GKKasper SchmeichelGKSuperb7-7-7-5-9100%2-7.00
DRUnhJohn DaviesD RSuperb7-7-7-7-799%---
DLMatthew BatesD LCSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
DCDavid Marek RozehnalD CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%0 (1)-7.00
DCDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-7-7-898%2-7.50
DMCFábio RochembackDM CPoor8-7-7-7-695%2-6.50
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb7-5-7-7-793%2-7.00
MLMarcus KellyAM RLSuperb7-7-7-7-792%1-7.00
AMCYoussouf HersiAM CSuperb7-7-7-7-1092%2-8.50
FCKeigan ParkerS CSuperb7-7-7-6-992%227.50
FCAndrew JohnsonS CVery Good7-7-7-7-792%2-7.00
S1UnhPaul DaviesGKVery Good8-7-8-7-7100%0 (1)-7.00
S2Igor BiscanD/DM CSuperb7-7-7-7-794%2-7.00
S3Igor Nadal LázaroS COkay7-4-7-6100%0 (1)-6.00
S4Chris ChapmanM LCGood7-7-7-7-7100%0 (1)-7.00
S5LstJohn OsterAM RLSuperb7-7-7-7-699%0 (1)-6.00
-Marc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-797%---
-LstMalik BuariAM RVery Poor881%---
-Craig CraneD RVery Good7-7-7-7-7100%---
-InjTom HowellD/DM LOkay7-7-7-7-768%1-7.00
-Keith KeaneD/DM RCSuperb8-7-7-7-794%2-7.00
-Nigel QuashieM CGood7-7-6-7-789%---
-Mathew SadlerD LGood7-7-7-7-793%2-7.00
-InjBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-7-7-734%---

Match #3: we play Newcastle on their pitch. They finished 6th last season and have drawn one and lost once this season. They beat us 0-1 in a friendly prior to last season but from looking at the match stats and possession numbers, it looks like it was a pretty even match.

With two games in 3 days, I change a few players on the defensive line. I put in two new full backs, John Davies for Keith Keane, and Matthew Bates for Mathew Sadler. I also put in David Marek Rozehnal for Igor Biscan. The 32yo Biscan is having a harder time recovering from back ot back games, it seems...

Prior to the game, I get news that the one week delays on the Fawcett and Shumana trasnfers are over. I ask both for one more week. Ajax CT rejects the offer of a delay and the transfer of Mfundo Shumana is cancelled. Seeing how we've signed two midfielders in Hersi and Rochemback, it doesn't pain me so much to see that one being cancelled...

As we get to the field, Newcastle show a 4-4-2 formation with long arrows.

Again we come out clawing, and this even harder, as it only takes us 8 minutes to be up by two this time, WOOHOO!!! The stuff dreams are made of for Q.P.R.! First off in the 4th minute, Youssouf Hersi's pass (again) for Andrew Johnson is knocked off by a defender, but only enough that it gets out of the way of the keeper, where AJ can pick it up and score on an empty net. Then, 3 minutes later, it's a center from Matt Cross to Hersi who makes a sweet pass to AJ sitting pretty on the edge of the box. He scores it off the post.

Believe it or not, but we add to our lead before the half is over. This time, it's a sweet long pass from Matthew Bates to Andrew Johnson in the 25th minute. AJ simply nods the ball to Hersi in the middle. Hersi then proceeds to squeeze himself between their two centre backs before firing a shots that finds the back of the net.

The half ends with us up 3-0. We're outshooting them 8(5) to 4(1). The big crowd of 46,074 just can't believe it.

We stay pace for pace with them and in the 74th minute, the fans have had enough. With the score still 3-0 for us, they start leaving early. They've seen enough of this!

Newcastle eventually take one back in the 89th minute after a nice move that saw the ball be moved from one wing to the other and back to center. Too little, too late...

Final Score: 3-1

We outshot them 11(6) to 9(3). We pulled back deep for most of the second.

Youssouf Hersi get a second rating of 10 in a row, earning him a second Man of the Match in a row. He scored a goal, added two assists to his tally, all this while completing 42 of his 46 passes, 6 of them key passes. AJ got rated at 9, scoring 2 goals and assisting on the other one.

Five other players get rated at 8: Rozehnal, Shittu, Cross, Kelly, and Rochemback.

Again, Bill Power can't hide his delight over this win, our second in a row. More than that, two wins by good margins, and two wins in which we were up 3-0 before letting in one goal, wow!

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-13-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:37 AM   #89
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice...

RANGERS FOR EUROPE!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #90
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 22, 2010
It's Sunday and some EPL games are played because of TV coverage and woah! Title holders Chelsea suffer a third loss in as many games as they get dropped 1-2 by Arsenal. Here's the league table after every team has played three games:
PosTeamPldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1stMan Utd330050+59
2ndLiverpool321063+37
3rdBolton321052+37
4thEverton321041+37
5thArsenal321053+27
6thFulham320142+26
7thQ.P.R.320165+16
8thMiddlesbrough31114404
9thTottenham31114404
10thWest Brom31114404
11thWigan31114404
12thBlackburn31111104
13thBirmingham311156-14
14thGillingham31023303
15thPortsmouth310245-13
16thAston Villa302124-22
17thSouthampton301259-41
18thNewcastle301226-41
19thChelsea300325-30
20thMan City300326-40

Phil Townley signs with Sheffield United, well shit...

August 23, 2010
Woah, the English Premier League Team of the Week is announced and we place FOUR players on it!!! Look at this:

Not only four players, but both strikers on the Team of the Week call Loftus Road their home. Niiiiiiice!!!

August 24, 2010
The transfer deadline is in one week. Unless the board surprise me with some new transfer budget, this is about it for me for now, until the next transfer window, in January, I think. There's not much that could help us in the free agents that are left unsigned...

This just occured to me, are loans subject to the transfer windows? Maybe one of my readers knows, if so, enlighten me. I'm still learning, that's the fun thing with FM, some 5 months (real time) later, some 8 seasons (gametime) later, I'm still learning...

Speaking of loan, I offer to loan left full back Sébastien Pocognoli until the end of the season. He's a 23yo Belgian currently playing for Marseilles. Valued at $4.4M, they're asking $2.4M for him but if I could get him on loan, he could fit well at the left full-back spot. I see that southampton and Ipswich are also scouting him... I set a deadline of today and they reply almost immediately with their approval for the loan. If Pocognoli accepts to come play for us, I'd pay $5.6k of his $27.5k weekly wage. A bargain...

August 25, 2010
Today, I offered to loan another player for the season. This time, it's PSV's right winger Lennart Rhee. He's got a good set of skills and could at the very least offer good coverage in case an injury ever happened to Matt Cross. I'm feeling better about Cross, following our last two wins. He's played much better. I also set a deadline of today for Rhee's loan bid and PSV gets back to me immediately with their approval of the loan. If he accepts to come play for us, we'd pay 10% of his $15,500 weekly wage, or only $1,500 per week. That would also be a bargain...

I also learn that Southampton have offered the requisite $2.4M for Sébastien Pocognoli, bastages...
FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-13-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #91
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I think what surprises me the most about this last post of yours, FM, is that 3 of the 4 players named to the Premiership team of the week were ones you had when you came in...only 1 was a new acquisition. Neat stuff!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #92
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

August 25, 2010
GKKasper SchmeichelGKSuperb7-7-5-9-7100%3-7.00
DRKeith KeaneD/DM RCSuperb8-7-7-7-7100%2-7.00
DLMathew SadlerD LGood7-7-7-7-7100%2-7.00
DCDavid Marek RozehnalD CSuperb7-7-7-7-897%1 (1)-7.50
DCWntDanny ShittuD CSuperb7-7-7-8-898%3-7.67
DMCFábio RochembackDM COkay7-7-7-6-896%3-7.00
MRMatt CrossAM/F RCSuperb5-7-7-7-895%3-7.33
MLMarcus KellyAM RLSuperb7-7-7-7-895%2-7.50
AMCYoussouf HersiAM CSuperb7-7-7-10-1094%319.00
FCKeigan ParkerS CSuperb7-7-6-9-795%327.33
FCAndrew JohnsonS CSuperb7-7-7-7-994%327.67
S1UnhPaul DaviesGKGood8-7-8-7-7100%0 (1)-7.00
S2Igor BiscanD/DM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%2-7.00
S3Igor Nadal LázaroS CSuperb7-4-7-6-7100%0 (2)-6.50
S4Nigel QuashieM CGood7-7-6-7-794%---
S5LstJohn OsterAM RLOkay7-7-7-6-798%0 (2)-6.50
-Marc BirchamDM CSuperb7-7-7-7-7100%---
-InjBen WatsonM CVery Good7-7-7-7-730%---
-Matthew BatesD LCSuperb7-7-7-7-795%1-7.00
-Chris ChapmanM LCSuperb7-7-7-7-798%0 (2)-7.00
-InjTom HowellD/DM LOkay7-7-7-7-764%1-7.00
-UnhJohn DaviesD RSuperb7-7-7-7-793%1-7.00

Match #4: we play Tottenham at Loftus Road. They finished 11th last season and have one win, one draw, and one loss so far this season, sitting in 9th place.

Prior to the game, I move a bunch of players to the reserves squad, as they are also playing tonight. I keep Nigel Quashie on the bench, as I think that the middie most likely to need to be replaced in-game would be Youssouf Hersi and I think Quash would be the one who would fare the best in the attacking middie spot. Had Ben Watson not been injured, he'd have been my first pick. Bircham is more of a defensive middie and I have that spot covered with Igor Biscan. We've had good success closing down the game with Biscan coming in for Fábio Rochemback late in games. It essentially gives us 5 defenders with one a bit more higher that the other four. I like that way of ending games when we get ahead, which luckily has happened in the last two games...

They show a 3-5-2 formation with the 5 middies on a straight line.

Well, I was almost getting used to us going up early on, but this time, they score first. In the 15th minute, a nice play through the middle results in the 0-1 goal.

We keep on fighting and claim back the tie in the 26th minute, when Youssouf Hersi goes at it again. He gets a throw in from Mathew Sadler on the left side, goes past an opponent and fires a perfect cross pass to Matt Cross who strikes the ball with fury to make it 1-1.

Even better, we take the lead in the 43rd minute, and you guessed it, Youssouf Hersi is in the middle of it all again. And Mathew Sadler is there too, as he sends a throw-in to Hersi again, but this time Hersi nods it back to Sadler who's the one to hit Matt Cross with the perfect center. Cross powers a header to the back of the net to make it 2-1.

The half ends 2-1. Shots are pretty even, 4(3) for us, 4(2) for them. We're dominating in ball control though, with 57% split 7-26-24, so heavily toward their end of the field.

Marcus Kelly suffered a minor injury early on so I pull him and put John Oster in his place. Kasper Schmeichel seems a bit shaky being the only Ranger rated at 6 at the half.

In the 61st minute, Keigan Parker's condition has dropped to 65%. I put Igor Lázaro in his place.

They mount some pressure, but we always find a way to close the door. We hang on for our third win in a row!

Final Score: 2-1

We outshot them 11(5) to 8(5) despite pulling back in the second half. We did lose on ball control, but what we didn't let them control it on our end of the field.

Youssouf Hersi is named Man of the Match for the third match in a row. We won those three matches, concidence? I think not... He had an assist in this game, completing 16 of 18 passes, 7 of them kay passes and had a form rating of "only" 9 after two 10's

Matt Cross also got rated at 9 with 2 goalds and winning 9 of th 12 headers he went for.

Bill Power is again delighted with the win over our rivals. And best of news, Marcus Kelly's minor injury is nothing to report about once the match is over...

We're sitting in 3rd place following the win, I saved (and will probably frame) the league table after our 4th game...
PosTeamPldWonDrnLstForAgG.D.Pts
1stLiverpool431083+510
2ndMan Utd330050+59
3rdQ.P.R.430186+29
4thBolton321052+37
5thEverton321041+37
6thArsenal321053+27
7thBlackburn421131+27
8thBirmingham421187+17
9thFulham320142+26
10thWest Brom41215505
11thMiddlesbrough31114404
12thWigan31114404
13thTottenham411256-14
14thPortsmouth310245-13
15thChelsea410357-23
16thAston Villa403135-23
17thGillingham410335-23
18thSouthampton4013612-61
19thNewcastle401328-61
20thMan City400449-50

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #93
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
I think what surprises me the most about this last post of yours, FM, is that 3 of the 4 players named to the Premiership team of the week were ones you had when you came in...only 1 was a new acquisition. Neat stuff!

/tk

That speaks more of the previous manager, and maybe the fact he shouldnt have been fired. Or it could be he was a ron zook of sorts, great at bringing in talent but dont ask him to coach it. Either way 4 on the team is impressive if your man u or arsenal....4 on there from QPR is crazy!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #94
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin

/tk

and funny trivia fact, 3 of the 4 are players I sought out and brought to Loftus Road. Only Danny Shittu was there when I took over the team

But what you say is very true and indeed pretty neat. These Rangers may have more to them than what people are giving them credit for

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #95
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119
That speaks more of the previous manager, and maybe the fact he shouldnt have been fired. Or it could be he was a ron zook of sorts, great at bringing in talent but dont ask him to coach it. Either way 4 on the team is impressive if your man u or arsenal....4 on there from QPR is crazy!

no, no, she meant that 3 of the four were with me before we got to the Premiership. Only Youssouf Hersi is a new acquisition...

I was indeed too impressed not to save a screenie

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 12:06 PM   #96
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Here's the screenie for Freddy Guarin:

Looking at him, he would make a very sweet addition to my Rangers, but oh well... Maybe someday the board will unlock some more money

As I said, he signed with Werder Bremen.

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 12:08 PM   #97
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

I looked up Jefferson's real name, here it is:
Jefferson de Oliveira Galvao

with a ~ on the second a of Galvao, just don't know how to do it with my keyboard... I'd agree with using simply Jefferson in his case

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #98
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Here's the screenie for Freddy Guarin:

Looking at him, he would make a very sweet addition to my Rangers, but oh well... Maybe someday the board will unlock some more money

As I said, he signed with Werder Bremen.

FM

Thanks for the screenshot. Guarin looks pretty much the same in my game. He's a pretty unique player. I get a lot of goals from long throws, long shots and free kicks when he's in the game. The best skill is long throws. I've never seen another player able to do it as well, in FM, as he does it.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:10 PM   #99
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the screenshot. Guarin looks pretty much the same in my game. He's a pretty unique player. I get a lot of goals from long throws, long shots and free kicks when he's in the game. The best skill is long throws. I've never seen another player able to do it as well, in FM, as he does it.

yeah, "pretty unique" is about how I was categorizing him, that's why I was offering the house and more for him... I'm still happy with the bargains I signed though We're still a small club

FM
Old 04-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #100
Desnudo
Coordinator

Loans are subject to the same windows as transfers. In the EPL that means the window to bring in loans closes at the end of August. Although you can still loan players out.