Old 07-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #51
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

best, passing game, ever.

Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #52
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

dola, anyone find a good quarter length yet?
Old 07-21-2004, 11:41 AM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
After 2 hours of sleep my daughter tells me the FedEx guy is here.

I had to play one game before going back to bed and well, I'm in awe. I think the gameplay is great. In fact, I wonder how much I can get for NCAA 2k5 at Gamestop on trade? I honestly don't think I can go back to NCAA's style of football after I really get used to ESPN's. They are totally different, as always, but NCAA was played immensly last year while Madden was traded in and ESPN was only bought because later on it was cheap. Enough Madden vs ESPN - I honestly think both games will be top knotch and well, for $20... yada yada..

The presentation is THE BEST of ANY sports game I have ever played. I thought 2k4 was a good start, but 2k5 is unreal. Getting into a franchise is going to be so easy for me. Can you say 'immersion'? Yes, only one measly game and the presentation has really made me wonder how they fit all of that onto a CD? I played Cardinals at Rams and on default AP - no slider changes - the game had everything I've wanted in a game (I know small sample, but if it plays like this, I'm happy).

Passing has never been so fun and real. I could pick apart the Cardinals secondary at first, until they started adjusting, but it just felt so right throwing the ball to Holt as he made his cut, hitting Faulk out of the backfield in stride, throwing a strike to Maulmalmaua for a TD on a play action. By far the best passing module in any game.

They show stats and more stats during gameplay, breaking down just about everything that has to do with your game. At halftime, Berman recaps the first half, which is really done well. I found myself calling my wife and saying, check out this TD to my tight end in the corner of the endzone.

Once I figure out how much time to make the quarters, my franchise is getting started. I also need to see if you have to adjust the time for simulated games.

Forget sleeping, I'm getting back to this game. I really don't see the need for anything else to be in my Xbox's CD tray but this game. I know I sound fanboyish, but so be it. I'm very happy with this game right out of the box. Running is also a blast as are the hits. Each team also has the VIP for the coach you are playing that week. (It would be neat if coaches got fired and hired so you could see different teams use different VIP's and change up their way of playing football - this is the wave of the future, I can see games having coaches who have VIP's for drafting players, signing certain types of guys, etc..) I played against Dennis Green and I could see his style of play with the Cardinals, which made me think to play a more wide open defensive attack against his passing game.

Off to play some more... I wish I had surroud sound, the hits/tackles are brutal.

Todd

I purposefully saved this thread for last, and still have some posts to read in it. However, this sounds like a great first impression
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:04 PM   #54
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

very bad CPU trade AI. Got into my franchise and simmed the preseason. I get a notice that a huge trade that will impact the entrie league took place. The Charges sent Phillip Rivers to the Bucs for Kerry Jenkins. In looking at the trade Jenkins is a 7th year vetern rated 81 @ RG. He was the bucs best gaurd but they got a couple of younger guys that can step in that are close. Jenkins becomes the Chargers best gaurd, while Rivers will backup Johnson this season and the Chargers lose their best QB, a rookie QB that could have been their franchise. Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:11 PM   #55
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but for those of you who have the game, take a look at the back cover.

Look to the very first and largest screen shot. For those without the game, it is a screen shot of T.O. stiff arming Ray Lewis to the ground. That got me thinking, I bet this was intentional. Anyone else think that it is more then a coincidence, considering that T.O. is the cover boy for ESPN this year and Ray Lewis is the cover boy for Madden? Heh, it just made me laugh with all the hype this year of ESPN trying to beat out Madden in the market.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:12 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
very bad CPU trade AI. Got into my franchise and simmed the preseason. I get a notice that a huge trade that will impact the entrie league took place. The Charges sent Phillip Rivers to the Bucs for Kerry Jenkins. In looking at the trade Jenkins is a 7th year vetern rated 81 @ RG. He was the bucs best gaurd but they got a couple of younger guys that can step in that are close. Jenkins becomes the Chargers best gaurd, while Rivers will backup Johnson this season and the Chargers lose their best QB, a rookie QB that could have been their franchise. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, I've been reading this over at OS. Can trading be turned off during the season and then back on during the draft?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I purposefully saved this thread for last, and still have some posts to read in it. However, this sounds like a great first impression

Thanks, now that I re-read what I typed, it's kind of jumbled.

This is one of those games you have to see to believe. The only negative I've heard of is the trading, which hopefully can be turned off. I know it might suck for drafting, but...

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #58
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

I've never played a sports title with more immersiveness. The halftime and postgame shows are great, and the players actually look like the real thing on replays. The clips going into the playscreens are very cool as well...actually feels like a field full of individual players. Waiting to get home from work to try out the Dynasty mode, but for a one-game reaction, I'm very impressed by the gameworld.

As far as gameplay...it's different than the NCAA-style I'm used to, but I'm liking some things better...tackles and such seem to have realistic results (e.g. Priest Holmes falling or twisting forward). The game looks better (and by better I mean I feel closer to watching a telecast than ever) after the whistle blows and it zooms in, but overall I think that will some acquired taste, I'm going to be playing the hell out of this one. The pass rush is much improved from NCAA, that's for sure...players don't feel like they're being held by marshmellows.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I just ran towards the OL with Faulk when I push to the left, no room up the middle - he side steps to the left and goes for 8 yards. The animations are so nicely done.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 12:36 PM   #60
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I picked up my copy earlier today. Just finished a game against the Lions andI beat them 37-14. Harrington threw 4 INT and Suggs ran for 170 yards
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #61
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Reading these comments really makes me wish that I wasn't smack in the middle of a 15-hour workday.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I turned every penalty all the way up, so far, so good. Shawn Alexander just ran a 60 yard TD on me, I was like.. shit, how did Archeletta get taken down.

Flag, the replay shows him getting pushed down by Koren Robinson to spring Alexander for the TD.

Awesome stuff!

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 12:57 PM   #63
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I really wish Steve O would stop calling me. You would think he should have something better to do
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 PM   #64
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

HA! Archeletta just picked one off and Hasselbeck threw his helmet!

ALSO, on your playcalling screen they have a 'favorites' where you can store your favorite set of plays you call more often than others.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-21-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

When you goto gamecast stats by pausing the game, you can select ANY play you had during the game and replay it. Neat.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Found a weird bug. Alexander's run got called back, now it shows him at -60 yards rushing for today.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 01:16 PM   #67
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I just picked this up, and a HD. Just getting the HD good to go before trying the game out.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #68
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

These trades are getting out of hand. There is a trade about every week. Can't wait till the deadline. This week the panthers trade minter for kenard lang? wtf, why would they trade their best db for another DE who is now 3rd string. This may become a deal breaker to the franchise mode.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:33 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EDIT:

It was a 90 yard TD, typo there.

He ran for 15 more yards on 3 carries, now he has -75 yards for the day and my team has allowed -75 yards for the game. Shit!

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #70
GrantDawg

Of course this and the trade thing only comes up after I bought the game.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #71
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

No trades this week, thank god. I love the weekly prep, and yes, after you make the plans once they stay the same every week, you just have to make minor changes. Mainly just press conference policy, team meeting attitude, scouting, and rehab decisions.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:46 PM   #72
GrantDawg

I was about to complain about the manual, but now I see it has an in-game manual. Handy.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #73
henry296
College Starter

Troll,

PS2 or Xbox?
Old 07-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #74
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
No trades this week, thank god. I love the weekly prep, and yes, after you make the plans once they stay the same every week, you just have to make minor changes. Mainly just press conference policy, team meeting attitude, scouting, and rehab decisions.

Do you see this being TCY-like, where it's fun for about an hour, and then just gets tedious? Or does it look like making these changes will actually have a significant, tangible impact on the game?

Also, how are the custom soundtracks working? That's something that interests me greatly.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #75
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

i got the ps2 version so I don't know about custom soundtracks. But the weekly prep could get tedious, but as little time as I'm spending on it each week, like 30 seconds to 1 mintue after the initial 1st week investment I really don't see it getting too tedious.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #76
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

You guys are killing me. I have the damn thing sitting in my car, but won't get to try it until tonight at the earliest.

For those who are playing it and enjoying it, are you doing any slider tinkering or is it pretty much playable right out of the box?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM   #77
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Ight more on the franchise mode. A pointless trade was made between the Eagles and Falcons. The eagles got Rod Coleman a 6th year DT rated 80 and the Falcons got Darwin walker a 5th year DT rated 83. Thats a pretty good indication of how smart the trading AI is. Also the panthers have Julius Peppers on the trading block. He is rated 92, they are asking for a CB or a TE rated 50 or better.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #78
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I use 10 min quarters and every penalty turned up to max. Seems about perfect to me thus far. Nothing else has been touched. It's great on AP out of the box - pro is default.

* The bug might just have to do with Clipping calls.. I know, I know.. but hey, we can turn them off.. although why does this shit always happen with a potential excellent game?

I know you can't catch everything in testing, but didn't anyone see a clipping call on a running play and notice the negative yardage?

I'm up 14-0 against Seattle, Hasselbeck has 3 INT's thus far.

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-21-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #79
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Troll, can that feature (trading) be turned off?

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 02:17 PM   #80
Franklinnoble
Banned

Sounds like trading needs to be turned down a bit... there just aren't that many trades in the NFL these days.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Turn off Clipping... everyone so far that has seen that bug has had a clipping call.

They need to have a way to send patches to console's.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 02:22 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They do, on Xbox at least
Old 07-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #83
Bee
Pro Starter

Does the strange trades have anything to do with salaries? Perhaps teams are unloading big contracts? Just a thought...

I'm debating on whether to get it or not, but the trading issue may be a game killer for me (and the messed up running yardage from Todd doesn't help).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:27 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
They do, on Xbox at least

I have an Xbox, patches? How they do dat?

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 02:31 PM   #85
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have a very short break in my workday, and I'm catching up. I really hope that trading can be turned off if the trade AI is so bad. Has anyone been able to turn AI trading off in the franchise mode?

edited to add: Only about 4 more hours til I get home to play this game

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-21-2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Does the strange trades have anything to do with salaries? Perhaps teams are unloading big contracts? Just a thought...

I'm debating on whether to get it or not, but the trading issue may be a game killer for me (and the messed up running yardage from Todd doesn't help).

I'm planning on turning clipping off if it will solve the running yardage problem. That will be annoying, but I'd rather have no clipping than have those big negative yards.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:36 PM   #87
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

I haven't found a way to turn trading off, but if you would like stupid ass trades all year there is an option for no trade deadline.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #88
Franklinnoble
Banned

Maybe move the trade deadline up to week 1? That might reduce the # of trades...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #89
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I have an Xbox, patches? How they do dat?

Todd

Through XBox Live. There was a patch for NFL 2K4 last year.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #90
GrantDawg

Grrrrrr....

The thing I hated about this game 2 years ago is still there. If you are say looking at free agents, and you go to whatever position you are looking at, if you select someone and then go out, the stupid game puts you all the way back to "All Positions"! Why can't it just stay where you were? That is so annoying that it might end up put this game on the shelf for me.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:47 PM   #91
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Being at work sucks.

Ditto. At least it's delievered. Now I have to get home before my leasing office closes!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:56 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

12:18 pm

Delivered

MUNDELEIN IL

No signature required - release waiver on file

12:18 pm

Delivered

MUNDELEIN IL

No signature required - release waiver on file

10:07 am

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

WAUKEGAN IL

6:37 am

Arrived at FedEx Destination Location

WAUKEGAN IL

5:25 am

Left FedEx Sort Facility

CHICAGO IL

4:59 am

Left FedEx Sort Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN

2:47 am

Arrived at Sort Facility

CHICAGO IL

1:15 am

Left FedEx Sort Facility

INDIANAPOLIS IN

Jul 20, 2004 2:24 pm

Left FedEx Origin Location

INDIANAPOLIS IN

Jul 19, 2004 1:19 pm

Pickup status

INDIANAPOLIS IN

Future pickup/delivery requested
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #93
GrantDawg

How many minutes should you sim to get realistic stats?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #94
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
i got the ps2 version ...
Do you have the hard-drive? If not, are the highlight shows still fun or are they pointless?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:11 PM   #95
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Is there even an option to set the sim quarter lengths different from the quarter lengths used when playing? I don't remember seeing this option, but I could have overlooked it.

Assuming you can set both, we need to find optimums for both. Mizzou has already recommended 10 minutes for playing. Anybody have any idea on simming length or if it can even be changed? (stuck at work right now)
Old 07-21-2004, 03:13 PM   #96
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

This thought occured to me too. (My game won't be deleivered until tomorrow or the next so I can't check.) Maybe several teams start off in really bad financial states and need to unload cap money (similar to how EWR's WWE would dump half their roster when starting a new game)? Perhaps one of you could be so kind as to "quick sim" a couple seasons ahead and let use know if the stupid trades continue years later?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:16 PM   #97
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless
Is there even an option to set the sim quarter lengths different from the quarter lengths used when playing? I don't remember seeing this option, but I could have overlooked it.

Assuming you can set both, we need to find optimums for both. Mizzou has already recommended 10 minutes for playing. Anybody have any idea on simming length or if it can even be changed? (stuck at work right now)

I'm 90% sure that you could set different sim and play lengths in last year's version.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #98
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimperless

The last version I had was 2k3, but to change the sim lengths, you would play your game for the week with one setting for quarter length. Then you would go back into the options and change it to 5 for simming to get comparable results. It was a small pain, but I don't know if it works the same way for 2k5.

Todd
Old 07-21-2004, 03:22 PM   #99
GrantDawg

You can set quarter length differently in Franchise mode (between sim and play). The question still is what is the correct sim length? (I don't understandf why they haven't made it 15 minutes. That is another thing I always found irritating about this game).
Old 07-21-2004, 03:22 PM   #100
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I'm 90% sure that you could set different sim and play lengths in last year's version.

I'm pretty sure I did precisely that. You wanted 5 minute quarters for simming, but longer quarters for the games you played.