Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #51
whomario
Pro Starter

A/TO donīt really translate from College to the NBA as far as i know, itīs not like with rebounds that there is a strong correlation because of the difference in offensive and defensive schemes.

As for his TOs, his Turnover ratio actually isnīt that bad.
His TOR in his heavy-minute games has been : 4.3 / 27.6 / 10.7 / 17.3 / 18.1 / 24.4

Some benchmark season averages : Nash 24.4 / Rubio 22.7 / Rondo 22.4 / D.Williams 17.7 / Calderon 16.9 / Paul 11.9

He simply had the ball a shitload with the lack of other ballhandlers/good players next to him, his Usage was in Kobe Bryant territory every game.

His Ast ratio is fairly low, as other said heīs a scorer that also passes the ball a bit, not the other way around like Nash.

whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

That fucking crowd.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Why Knicks Jeremy Lin is much better story than Tim Tebow - Michael Rosenberg - SI.com

Quote:
People just don't do what Lin has done unless they're really good. Watch him and you see uncanny court vision, very good length for a point guard and the ability to score in a variety of ways, even though he is not a great pure shooter. The league will start taking away his strengths and he'll have to adapt. But he is clearly a starting point guard in that league.

Now, imagine if Tebow went to Harvard, and was undrafted, and played a year in the Canadian Football League, then signed with an NFL team as a third-string quarterback, and suddenly played like a Pro Bowler. In other words: Imagine he had a career path like Kurt Warner, who went from bagging groceries to NFL MVP.

If you want to compare Warner to Lin, you're onto something. But if Lin keeps this up, he can become a more amazing story than Warner. Why? Because it's much harder to shock us in the NBA than in the NFL.
Tom Brady was the 199th pick in the 1999 draft. Joe Montana went 82nd in 1979. Warren Moon went undrafted. (Racial stereotypes of the era surely played a part in that one.)

They were exceptions, of course -- plenty of top quarterbacks, like the Manning brothers, Elway and Troy Aikman, were No. 1 overall picks. Still, good starting quarterbacks do come out of nowhere sometimes.
Compare that to the NBA. Of the 24 players picked for this year's NBA All-Star Game, 18 were top-10 picks and five of the other six went in the first round. (The only exception: Marc Gasol.)

Jeremy Lin came from nowhere in a league where nobody comes from nowhere. He is a better story than Tim Tebow, and that's not a shot at Tebow. At the moment, Lin is a better story than anybody else in pro sports.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #54
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He can't really go left, and his outside shot is inconsistent. He may be able to work on these weaknesses and become a quality NBA starter in a year or two, but I think he'll have a hard crash this season as teams start watching film on him, focus on forcing him left/sink off him, and his shot goes cold for a few games. Brandon Jennings' rookie season might be a very good comp for how his year will go imo.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Flash in the pan.

Very disappointed that no one has called him a flash in the wok.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #56
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Very disappointed that no one has called him a flash in the wok.

Sorry, my racist sayings mechanism is broken. I'll have to get it fixed.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Oh come on, that's just funny. There's no racism intended.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I was mostly trolling, not being especially serious that time.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #59
spleen1015
Coordinator

ESPN had a little montage of Lin on SC yesterday. It showed all of his great plays and then it showed a bunch of Knicks fans etc. The last guy they showed was clearly of Oriental descent and he said "We rove Jemery Rin!!"

I was surprised ESPN included the guy at the end.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #60
Ksyrup

Personally, I find cooking with a wok superior to the average pan, so I think it was actually a compliment.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it becomes racist until someone starts talking about the Rinsanity.

Anyways, with the China voting, i can see him being an all star starter next season. Assuming he puts up 15ppg and like 8 assists.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

"I have a lot of asian friends!"

:shurg:

I thought it was a bit racist fwiw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #63
Ksyrup

Really? Doesn't it have to be derogatory to be racist? It's just a play on words. I guess I come from the perspective that racism involves a conscious effort to demean or hurt someone, and that a joke based on a play on words involving a cultural reference to a cooking utensil doesn't really qualify.

Things like this always remind me that maybe I need to be a little more sensitive about my heritage. But I guess it's precisely that I don't give a shit or take it personally that makes it hard for me to understand how something like that could upset someone.

This one is hardly an original - I've already heard it 2-3 times in the past several days. But it's certainly not as popular as the one that's burning up peoples' FB statuses about driving. And I've yet to see a flame war break out on FB about it, but maybe I've just missed the outrage.

Learn something every day, I guess...
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #64
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Really? Doesn't it have to be derogatory to be racist? It's just a play on words. I guess I come from the perspective that racism involves a conscious effort to demean or hurt someone, and that a joke based on a play on words involving a cultural reference to a cooking utensil doesn't really qualify.

Things like this always remind me that maybe I need to be a little more sensitive about my heritage. But I guess it's precisely that I don't give a shit or take it personally that makes it hard for me to understand how something like that could upset someone.

This one is hardly an original - I've already heard it 2-3 times in the past several days. But it's certainly not as popular as the one that's burning up peoples' FB statuses about driving. And I've yet to see a flame war break out on FB about it, but maybe I've just missed the outrage.

For some your intent doesn't matter. It is all about how what you've said impacts them. The fact that they can or want to interpret what you said as racist makes it racist. Why should you have to censor yourself for them? That's what I think.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #65
Ksyrup

I didn't mean to derail the thread or anything. We've had this discussion around here before. Nothing to see here.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #66
Groundhog
Coordinator

My own call on Lin from what I've seen (3 of his super games) is that at this stage there are three things I know he can do well at an NBA level - #1 get to the basket and finish, #2 hit open jumpers, and #3 defend the perimeter fairly well (although needs to work at getting over screens).

The biggest issue I have with him is his carelessness with the ball and his erratic passing, which at this stage I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering he's only played a handful of games with meaningful minutes. The Knicks lousy floor spacing doesn't help with his passing, either.

There's no way he keeps up this current Prime Tebow Pace but really, I don't see why he can't be a 15ppg on this squad with Carmelo back, and I don't see Baron replacing him unless he really falls off.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #67
rjolley
College Starter

I think they're crazy to even consider going with Davis unless Lin turns into...hell, I think they'd be crazy to go with Davis under any circumstance.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #68
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:

Ask this guy if you want to be sure

Yo, Is This Racist?

I'd be willing to bet that Asian people probably wouldn't find it particularly funny, if you want the sniff test.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
He also wasn't a five star recruit coming out of high school who was being recruited by every major college, wasn't on two college national championship teams and wasn't a first round draft pick.

Wasn't he California's high school hoops player of the year? He certainly produced and led in his high school years. The guy has be a very, very productive player at each level he has played at, and seems to play his best in the biggest moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I also need to say that the crowd reaction in Toronto was both awesome and terrifying, i sounded like a knicks homegame at the end.

Toronto has a very, very large Asian, and particularly Chinese (biggest in North America I believe), population. Not surprised at the reaction at all.

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Wasn't he California's high school hoops player of the year? He certainly produce and led in his high school years?

BOYS PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Jeremy Lin / A knack for the big play

Northern California D2 player of the year and First-team all-state.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #71
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

From some guy in the ESPN comments:

Quote:
24, 22, 24, 24, 29, 20, 16, 26, 31, 26, 21

Those are Flip Murray's scoring numbers in his first 11 starts. He was a 2nd round draft pick from a DII college who barely played his rookie season. When Ray Allen went down he got the surprise start and exploded, leading the Sonics to a 7-4 start. Then teams figured him out, he got demoted back to the bench, and faded to a 12.4 ppg average. He never managed to match that again the rest of his career and never became an NBA starter
Old 02-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #72
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I'd be willing to bet that Asian people probably wouldn't find it particularly funny, if you want the sniff test.

My wife is asian. I asked for an authoritative opinion. She says if he is from somewhere that they cook with woks instead of pans, it's funny. If not, it's racist but still funny.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #73
Groundhog
Coordinator

Re: Flip Murray, yeah, that happens, and that's what seperates the good players and the fringe players. People are going to start gameplanning Lin, and I saw the Lakers and the Raptors doing exactly that, trying to take him out of what's been working for him. So far so good. What separates him from Murray and Dajuan Wagner (as another example of a guy that blew up for a short period of games as a rookie) is that the rest of his game appears like it could be better rounded than any of those guys.

What I'm most interested in is what happens when he doesn't shoot the ball well or has a bad game. How is he going to bounce back from that? If he has a 2-12 shooting night with more turnovers and assists, how is he going to perform the next night and, more importantly, how are Carmelo and Stoudamire going to react when it happens?

Last edited by Groundhog : 02-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #74
Groundhog
Coordinator

6 points on 2-4 shooting to go with 9 assists and just 1 turnover at the half. Sure, it's against the Kings, but still, the kid is showing he can do more than score the ball.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #75
BillyNYC
High School JV

Lin has led the team in scoring since the streak due to necessity. With Melo and Amare (until last night) out, there were limited options to score points. Someone like Novak picked up the slack, but Lin has shown the ability to create his own shot and/or get to the FT line, so he has.

He's also been the ballhandler due to necessity. Toney Douglas was mainly the primary PG pre-Lin and was averaging 2.3/1.8 (assists/turnovers): Toney Douglas Game By Game Stats and Performance - New York Knicks - ESPN Lin is turning the ball over a bunch, but obviously runs the offense better and has led to many easy baskets for his teammates.

Fatigue has to play a role, regardless of how well-conditioned he may be. Someone mostly riding the bench suddenly has to play 35+ minutes every night, almost all of it being the ballhandler AND primary scoring option on every possession. Some of the turnovers and bad shooting spells relate to that.

Long-term, I think the first half tonight is a bit more representative of what he'll contribute: 6 points, 9 assists, 1 TO in 17 minutes. He won't have 15+ assists/game, nor a 9:1 A/TO ratio, but he'll be more of a distributor than a scorer. Especially when Melo comes back, he won't have to score 25 points. He can focus more on creating, which will lead to less turnovers, more assists, and less scoring. As a Knicks fan, that's fine by me.

(And as a Cornell alum, I should note that Lin was 1-5 against Cornell as a starter for the Crimson.)
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #76
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
6 points on 2-4 shooting to go with 9 assists and just 1 turnover at the half. Sure, it's against the Kings, but still, the kid is showing he can do more than score the ball.

I was going to make a comment about the lack of TOs, but he ended up with 6.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #77
JS19
College Prospect

Has anyone in sports ever had a more malleable name? The play on words, or his name in this case, doesn't seem to end. Linsanity, Linbelievable, Linderalla Story, Super Lintendo, Linception, Linsational, Linning, All he does is Lin Lin Lin.. it goes on and on.

Haven't been much of a basketball fan in years but this kid has got me watching quite a bit lately. Not sure what he'll end up being, but it's been a fun ride so far.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #78
Ramzavail
College Starter

Really? Taking Credit?

In a interview with Rick Quan, Rex Walters responded to the question of feeling that he was a pioneer for Asian-Americans. He responded - "I consider myself Japanese-American. I just don't look it. People are always surprised. Now we got a guy like Jeremy Lin breaking barriers, I'd like to think I played a small part in that". He later added, "People ask me who I am? what I am? I am a Japanese-American, I take great pride in that."[4]
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #79
Groundhog
Coordinator

Only reason I remember Rex Walters is that I had a basketball card of his from what must've been around 94 or 95 with the Nets, which I remember because it was an early example of a terrible photoshop, which showed him dunking on a backdrop that he'd clearly been pasted on to.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #80
Ramzavail
College Starter

Well I'm a Net fan and vividly remember him sucking and never thinking he was Japanese let alone thinking he played a small part in breaking down barriers for future Asian basketball players like Jeremy Lin.

Drazen Petrovic and Detlef Schrempf broke down barriers for European basketball players like Dirk Nowitzki. Rex Walters didn't do shit.

Last edited by Ramzavail : 02-15-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought Rex Walters was actually Rex Chapman for a second. I guess we had 2 Non-grossman Rex's.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #82
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Speaking of puns... My friend is already preparing "Lindenburg", in case Lin has a string of bad games.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #83
Galaxy
Coordinator

Jeremy Lin and the Guy Who Saw Linsanity Coming - WSJ.com
Old 02-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #84
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyNYC View Post

(And as a Cornell alum, I should note that Lin was 1-5 against Cornell as a starter for the Crimson.)

Speaking of Cornell basketball (and adding to the "scouts vs statheads" player evaluaton debate, as sort of a counterpoint to Galaxy's post)...

The Cornell Basketball Blog: “When I played against Jeremy Lin”
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #85
Logan
Head Coach

The All-Linsanity Mailbag - Grantland

Simmons' analysis of his game, where it could go, and some of the racial stuff down towards the bottom.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #86
Logan
Head Coach

Forgot to mention that I thought the LeBron angle was one of the better aspects of that column.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #87
Easy Mac

Was anyone else hoping for a "Lin Ten Ten" headline after his first double-double?

Also, I don't really think Linbelievable works. It needs to be words that start with "in". Lindescribable works better.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lin Vs. Tebow : NPR

Old 02-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #89
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Linconceivable?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #90
Logan
Head Coach

Are New York’s Most Exclusive Restaurants More Eager To Seat Jeremy Lin Or Eli Manning? Deadspin Investigates
Old 02-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #91
mckerney
Coordinator

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #92
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Poor Jean-Luc....like he doesn't have enough to worry about running a top-of-the-line spacecraft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #93
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This was great.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #94
whomario
Pro Starter

Knicks are close to signing JR Smith.

If Lin manages to still produce and keep the team functioning with not just Anthony but also Davis and JR Smith joining him the iīll be very impressed
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #95
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
This was great.

I like how Lin would go from sleeping on his brother's couch to having an assistant, and eating out at the most exclusive ($$$!) restaurants in NYC within a matter of basically hours.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that gives them like 8 or 9 players. Chandler/Amare/Melo/Fields/Lin. Plus Smith, Davis, Jeffries
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #97
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Still need another big though.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #98
Groundhog
Coordinator

You know, watching all these Knicks games, I've gained an appreciation for Jared Jeffries. He should never ever ever ever take a shot from more than 2 inches away from the rim, but I'm starting to see how the Big Blank Boxscore has stuck in the league for so long.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #100
whomario
Pro Starter

Yao(mania) commenting on Lin :

Yao among many Chinese fans rooting on Lin's success story | NBA.com

Quote:

"What I see from Jeremy and what I hear in his interviews is he appreciates everything. He pursues his dream. His attitude is so peaceful, but there is strength to him. It is not a violent strength like fire or something aggressive. It is like the ocean, very peaceful, very quiet when you look at it. But you can never underestimate the power that is in there."

Bill Walton couldnīt have said it any better (btw, is he still doing commentary for the Kings sometimes ? We need him on ESPN or sth for a Lin game asap, thatīs propably the last thing missing in this story)