Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 AM   #52
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
why do you think I was returning it?
Because you're not a member?

Also, I think the comment made by the cashier was extraordinarily inappropriate and, as extraordinarily inappropriate comments often are, right on the money. I mean, really. How cheap can you be? Going on vacation (I assume that means travel, and I assume that doesn't mean just to the Jersey shore) and you're returning a coat that's 7 months old? Me, I would have smiled and refused to take back the jacket because of our 30 day return policy or whatever. I certainly would not have insulted you, even as you grew red in the face at my refusal to back down and support your legendary cheapness, and then would have cheerily waved good-bye as you stormed out with your Members Only jacket.

But anyway, yeah. Highly inappropriate. People in customer service should only say those kinds of things in the break room long after the customer has left the store. Whoever this person will probably be the hero of that particular location to all the employees thanks to this, and as a result will probably ask for more money, which will lead to her leaving the job, going back to college, and getting something that pays her a lot more and allows her to interact with a higher percentage of people who treat her like a human being. And we can NOT have that in corporate America!
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #53
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
Because you're not a member?

Also, I think the comment made by the cashier was extraordinarily inappropriate and, as extraordinarily inappropriate comments often are, right on the money. I mean, really. How cheap can you be? Going on vacation (I assume that means travel, and I assume that doesn't mean just to the Jersey shore) and you're returning a coat that's 7 months old? Me, I would have smiled and refused to take back the jacket because of our 30 day return policy or whatever. I certainly would not have insulted you, even as you grew red in the face at my refusal to back down and support your legendary cheapness, and then would have cheerily waved good-bye as you stormed out with your Members Only jacket.
QUOTE]

I certainly hope you are being sarcastic with this statement.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-21-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:16 PM   #54
Johnny Slick
Mascot

[quote=Lathum]
Quote:

I certainly hope you are being sarcastic with this statement.
I do think it's rather cheap to return a $20 jacket 7 months after it was bought for you. All's I'm saying is, if she hadn't said it to your girlfriend's face, it would have been the talk of the breakroom all week.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
All's I'm saying is, if she hadn't said it to your girlfriend's face, it would have been the talk of the breakroom all week.

Well that much is true.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-21-2006 at 12:22 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:23 PM   #56
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The visual of your girlfriend standing there outside the store waiting for your arrival and then both of you marching in there to get the store person is funny to me.

All of this could have been avoided if cell phones were outlawed.

Unless of course she went to a pay phone to call you and you happened to be home.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #57
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I do think it's rather cheap to return a $20 jacket 7 months after it was bought for you. All's I'm saying is, if she hadn't said it to your girlfriend's face, it would have been the talk of the breakroom all week.

If the jacket is worth $20 whenever you return it...why does it matter when the return happens?

Last edited by BrianD : 07-21-2006 at 12:31 PM.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #58
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Of course, the idea of these store employees sitting around the break room gabbing about how someone returned something that was purchased 7 months ago *gasp* is also amusing. I'm sure most of them could give a crap.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #59
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Of course, the idea of these store employees sitting around the break room gabbing about how someone returned something that was purchased 7 months ago *gasp* is also amusing. I'm sure most of them could give a crap.

Probably the same crap most customers give about what store employees talk about in the break room.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #60
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
It's not groundbreaking, just funny. Especially the rude comment. And if you really think it's not cheap to return a $20 jacket more than half a year after you bought it... well, I'm not sure I can help you. Back when I worked in retail, I had a guy try to return this ancient fax machine to the store. It was freaking hilarious. He insisted he'd bought it like a month ago even though it was obviously obsolete. So the manager made an exception and looked up the price for the thing in our system. It was actually still in there, IIRC priced at $1. He got all angry and stormed out of the store.

Given the way fashion changes styles, this incident is probably pretty similar, only I didn't make a crack about the guy needing the dollar so bad. Personally, I'd have just donated the jacket to charity, but that's me. If you need 20 bucks that bad... but that quip has already been stated.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #61
miked
College Starter

Is clipping coupons cheap? People will clip mad coupons to save a few bucks. Maybe I'm old, but I guess $20 is like a few pennies or something, but I just lived in Boston where my rent was pretty much 35% or more of my take home, add bills to that and saving (or re-uising) $20 is pretty good. Why wouldn't you return it, you'd just let the thing sit in your closet? I might take it to goodwill as well, but if the money is already spent, I'd at least rather get something I could use.

You sound like a 12 year old who gets a big allowance (which you probably aren't). Either that, or you are just some big roller, in that case I'll PM you my address for some checks
miked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:44 PM   #62
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I still don't get it. If you were looking through your drawers and found a birthday check someone had written for $20 a number of months ago, would you not cash the check because it wasn't recent? What if it wasn't a check, but a gift card for some place you like?

If the jacket was worth returning the next day for $20, it must be worth returning months later for $20. By your logic, there would never be a time where it was ok to return the jacket. There is also a difference between needing $20 and not wanting to throw away $20.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #63
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney
Then it would have been classic if she told her something to the fact that "Hey, YOU work in a department store. So look here Bill Gates, shut your hole, and give me my refund.......stupid"
That would have been classic alright.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #64
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
I still don't get it. If you were looking through your drawers and found a birthday check someone had written for $20 a number of months ago, would you not cash the check because it wasn't recent? What if it wasn't a check, but a gift card for some place you like?

If the jacket was worth returning the next day for $20, it must be worth returning months later for $20. By your logic, there would never be a time where it was ok to return the jacket. There is also a difference between needing $20 and not wanting to throw away $20.
Only it wasn't a gift card. It was an actual piece of merchandise that, from the sound of it, the store really doesn't carry anymore and probably only returned to try to make someone happy. Yes, that is generally what "20 bucks for a jacket" means.

This is nothing like clipping coupons, sorry. Like it or not, it's cheap, and many people will think what the woman said. And on a side note, a big part of why some customer service people are snotty is the attitude put forward in the "comeback" listed above this post. They may not be making much money, but they are people, not your servants.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #65
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Only it wasn't a gift card. It was an actual piece of merchandise that, from the sound of it, the store really doesn't carry anymore and probably only returned to try to make someone happy. Yes, that is generally what "20 bucks for a jacket" means.

It doesn't matter. A $20 gift card is the same as merchandise with a $20 return value. Both can be used to acquire $20 worth of other merchandise

Quote:
This is nothing like clipping coupons, sorry. Like it or not, it's cheap, and many people will think what the woman said. And on a side note, a big part of why some customer service people are snotty is the attitude put forward in the "comeback" listed above this post. They may not be making much money, but they are people, not your servants.

They are people doing a job. Processing returns is part of their job. You should be able to expect people to do their jobs without being rude...especially if it is a service job.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:17 PM   #66
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I think you're really barking up the wrong tree here. It's not cheap, it's lazy. We've got a bag or something from Kohl's in the car, that we've been meaning to return for, I don't know how long. We haven't used the product, so we're entitled to the cash back (of course, some stores have return policies that say you can't return things after X days -- if so, that's fine). This is even LESS cheap than clipping coupons, because it's your money involved. If you don't save money by cutting a coupon, you only lose out on opportunity cost. If you randomly decide not to return something you've never used, you're losing "real" money. The issue is laziness, plain and simple.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:40 PM   #67
Logan
Head Coach

Didn't know this evolved into a discussion on the benefits of the Monmouth Mall.

The nearby White Castle is huge.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:01 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
and at least one trolling asshole will think what the woman said

Fixed that for you.

Quote:
... not your servants.

When they're being paid to serve me, that's precisely what they are.
a person in the employ and subject to the direction or control of an individual or company

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-21-2006 at 02:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

you my friend are an ass. Not that i need to explain myself but I will. The jacket was a gift, put in a closet and then forgoten about until it was later discovered. I may as well exchange it for something I am going to use instead of let it sit around. The jacket was more then $20 when bought but decreased in value, I had no idea how much we would get back for the jacket but getting something is better then nothing.

You are entitled to think we are cheap if you like, however if you read the whole post you will see where I say my girlfriend and I do well for ourselves and have no need for the money back for the jacket, the jacket could be worth $20,000 and it wouldn't effect us. The point is that the woman had no right to judge who we are or what we do. Like I said, the money means nothing but since it was a gift I would rather exchange it for merchendise then let it sit around or give it away.

Like I said if you think I am cheap thats fine but really all you are doing is trolling and trying to stir up a discussion that isn't there.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:18 PM   #70
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- and the woman can think whatever she wants to think and I really don't care, but she has no right to say a word .
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #71
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Wow... that's a horrible comment. Though she did apologize, so it depends on how sincere.

Toms River resident from the time I was 5 until 18 (college). My dad worked for Brick's government.

Small world. I went to Mon Don...
Klinglerware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry .

Mon Don was wierd. The private school so parents thought it'd give a better education (even though the public schools in the area were pretty good), but infested with drugs when I was in TR East from 94-98.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #73
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I'm sorry .

Mon Don was wierd. The private school so parents thought it'd give a better education (even though the public schools in the area were pretty good), but infested with drugs when I was in TR East from 94-98.

You know it. If you see me take shots at school voucher programs in other threads, now you know why.

I will shut up now, sorry to threadjack...
Klinglerware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #74
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'm sorry .

we mustve played each other in football or tennis or something. brick memorial (not old brick) here.

brick did NOT have good schools, coming from the north.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:36 PM   #75
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

white castle!? you gotta hit up the Cluck U Chicken across the street instead!
Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 AM   #76
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
you my friend are an ass. Not that i need to explain myself but I will. The jacket was a gift, put in a closet and then forgoten about until it was later discovered. I may as well exchange it for something I am going to use instead of let it sit around. The jacket was more then $20 when bought but decreased in value, I had no idea how much we would get back for the jacket but getting something is better then nothing.

You are entitled to think we are cheap if you like, however if you read the whole post you will see where I say my girlfriend and I do well for ourselves and have no need for the money back for the jacket, the jacket could be worth $20,000 and it wouldn't effect us. The point is that the woman had no right to judge who we are or what we do. Like I said, the money means nothing but since it was a gift I would rather exchange it for merchendise then let it sit around or give it away.

Like I said if you think I am cheap thats fine but really all you are doing is trolling and trying to stir up a discussion that isn't there.
I'm stating my opinion on the matter, albeit in a confrontational way. Look... the issue here is that for $20, it's pretty obvious to me that they took back a jacket that they have next to no chance of making any money on in the future just as a customer service tool. I'm thinking they're trying to sow some goodwill so maybe you'll go back into the store. However, the reality is that if they don't even sell the jacket anymore, which is what it sounded like when the cashier said it was "out of style", there's really not a lot they can do with it. There is no magical clothes fairy that comes in and makes money from the clothes you return months and months after they were bought. At best, maybe they'll put it on clearance and get somebody else to buy it for like 10 bucks or something.

And this is where the "cheap" aspect comes in. Clearly, you're confusing the idea of cheapness with the idea of poverty. Or thrift, in other cases... when you clip coupons, you're likely also going to try out a few products you wouldn't otherwise use, and that's why the manufacturers are willing to give you a little money off on that. Or, if you're getting the coupons from the store itself, you're conducting a business transaction with them wherein they get to sell off overstock and you get a deal. Do you see how both sides make well out of this? Heck, I'm not even talking about returns. Everybody gets something that they turn out not to want or doesn't work the way they wanted it to. If you return a product in a timely manner, the store at least has a chance to find someone else who might want that thing that you don't want, or send it back to the manufacturer if it's defective.

When you just decide to return a jacket so late that the store in question won't even think of looking at a receipt because it's obviously not something you bought last week and they're just making up a price... well, that's not going anywhere. I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a defective article of clothing, and anyway if you don't see it in a store, it's probably in part because they can't buy it anymore, and if they can't buy it, they probably can't return it either. It is, by your own admission, out of style, so as I said they're not going to make any money back by selling it either. Basically, a customer who returns an item like this is saying "how much do you want to pay me to keep me as a customer?" And sorry, but I'm not a fan of this kind of thing.

Anyway, I understand that I am rather ascerbic at times, but nope, I am not trolling. I just disagree strongly with your whole idea and thought that the little quip, while definitely rude, was also a bit true (as rude comments often are).
Old 07-22-2006, 06:44 AM   #77
cody8200
High School Varsity

As a person who works with customers daily and has formally worked in retail for 5 years, I would not have said what the woman said to your girlfriend. That being said, I'm sure it was meant as a joke. As soon as the woman apologized I would have been fine with her.

As far as going to management, I can honestly say that they wont do anything at all. Unless you do something egregious, like curse at the customers, spit on them, etc nothing will happen to you as a retail worker. At least that is my experience in retail.

My fiancee is constantly returning things for small amounts of money. I wouldnt do it, but she does, and it doesnt really bother me too much. I only return things that dont fit or dont work.

Last edited by cody8200 : 07-22-2006 at 06:45 AM.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 07:34 AM   #78
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm stating my opinion on the matter, albeit in a confrontational way. Look... the issue here is that for $20, it's pretty obvious to me that they took back a jacket that they have next to no chance of making any money on in the future just as a customer service tool. I'm thinking they're trying to sow some goodwill so maybe you'll go back into the store. However, the reality is that if they don't even sell the jacket anymore, which is what it sounded like when the cashier said it was "out of style", there's really not a lot they can do with it. There is no magical clothes fairy that comes in and makes money from the clothes you return months and months after they were bought. At best, maybe they'll put it on clearance and get somebody else to buy it for like 10 bucks or something.

return policies are one of the factors for shopping at a particular store. some places have very stringent return policies, others have very liberal return policies. A place like this has a nice return policy as a "cost of doing business" to get customers into the store. It really has very little to do with how much they make back on the fucking jacket. It has everything to do with generating repeat customers. It's an overhead cost as much as labor, rent and heating are; is he cheap for taking advantage of the heat in the building? Of for using the bathroom, when he obviously could have gone at home?

How about when I go to a restaurant that offers free refills? Should I try to only drink $1.75 worth of soda?
Old 07-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #79
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
return policies are one of the factors for shopping at a particular store. some places have very stringent return policies, others have very liberal return policies. A place like this has a nice return policy as a "cost of doing business" to get customers into the store. It really has very little to do with how much they make back on the fucking jacket. It has everything to do with generating repeat customers. It's an overhead cost as much as labor, rent and heating are; is he cheap for taking advantage of the heat in the building? Of for using the bathroom, when he obviously could have gone at home?

How about when I go to a restaurant that offers free refills? Should I try to only drink $1.75 worth of soda?

No, but you should pay close attention to fashion cycles when making returns.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #80
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People need to read the whole thread or not comment at all. THE MONEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!

The womans "quip" was basiclly saying we are to poor for a vacataion which is very far from the truth.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:57 AM   #81
DanGarion
Coordinator

Sorry I was going to respond, but I have a loaf of bread that has been sitting at my house the last month that I need to return.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:19 AM   #82
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
People need to read the whole thread or not comment at all. THE MONEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!

The womans "quip" was basiclly saying we are to poor for a vacataion which is very far from the truth.

meh, I figured that was pretty much resolved at this point. the clerk's tone and the context of the conversation is pretty key here, as you could really see her comment as ranging from trying to make a joke, to being pissy about having to process a return, to just being downright snobbish. I personally peg it towards the jokier edge of the spectrum...and this is coming from someone who insults customers on a regular basis.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #83
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe this non-thread about a non event is still around. At least someone is giving his some crap for over reacting, and rushing to the aid of his girlfriend in distress. Talk about high maintenance. Man she must be great in the sack.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #84
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
The visual of your girlfriend standing there outside the store waiting for your arrival and then both of you marching in there to get the store person is funny to me.

All of this could have been avoided if cell phones were outlawed.

Best post of the thread.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #85
st.cronin
General Manager

Handling complaints is part of my job description right now, and this is my $.02. Were this complaint brought to my attention, I would not care about keeping this customer's business. I would offer an official apology to the customer, and that's it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Were this complaint brought to my attention, I would not care about keeping this customer's business.

Like I said:
Quote:
I've found that few places really seem to give a damn what the customer thinks under most circumstances any more.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #87
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Like I said:

A good part of the time it's just not worth it to go that extra mile to make the customer happy. And then, too, in every line of work, there are bad customers. I spend almost as much energy keeping customers in line as I do staff.

knives out
Old 07-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #88
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I spend almost as much energy keeping customers in line as I do staff.

Ah yes, never mind that if it weren't for them you would have no job.
But luckily for you, most people are sheep & will put up with that sort of crap.

But you do provide a great example of why I sometimes bypass the location's management entirely & go straight to corporate/ownership and let the shit flow downhill from there instead. By the time it drops from great heights, there's a opportunity for it to pick up momentum. Often as not, piss poor frontline employees are indicative of their immediate management rendering localizing a complaint pretty much meaningless anyway.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:50 AM   #89
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
But luckily for you, most people are sheep & will put up with that sort of crap.

Most people are sheep, yes - those folks don't require any energy at all. There are two significant categories of people that require a tremendous amount of my energy. PRIMADONNAS, who think they are entitled to whatever they want without paying for it; and WHINERS, who think that if they complain about something long and loud enough they will get what they want without paying for it.

edit: Without those Primadonnas and Whiners, I would have a lot more time to post on fofc at work.

knives out

Last edited by st.cronin : 07-22-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #90
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Nope. Most people think for themselves, which is why most people think about the situation the company is in before trying to do stupid or cheap things with them. What St. Cronin said was right on the money about the prima donnas and the whiners. I'd go so far as to say that we really *don't* make money off of those people, but that it's hard to create company policy that says "we don't allow the overly whiny to start accounts with us." Instead, we do things like call people back who call us several times to make sure everything is all right (from what I've seen, the people with legitimate gripes who had to call in really, really appreciate this, whereas the whiners try to use the callback as another reason to get free stuff... "OMG WHY R U CALLING ME!!??? THIS IS PRIVATE!!!!!"). One of our competitors is now doing things to prevent this kind of customer from getting discounts and so on. I'm not sure whether this is one of the worst business moves of all time or if it's pure genius, pushing the worst of the worst off to its rivals.

I know I said that I'd deny the return in an earlier post but in all honesty I'd probably allow it. It's only 20 bucks. My company can probably handle that better than the bad prima donna PR that would come from not doing it. You're still putting one over on the company, though. They're staying in business because people buy a lot of what they sell. Even with a company like Nordstrom's with a very liberal return policy I wouldn't do this myself. Especially with a company like Nordstrom's. If enough people return out-of-season clothing to a company like Nordstrom's, a company like Nordstrom's will de-liberalize their policy and then I won't have access to it when I really need it (for example, if I buy a pair of pants and a seam rips or something the 3rd time I wear them 6 months down the line - maybe a clothes-oriented person has a better example than that).
Old 07-22-2006, 01:16 PM   #91
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Nobody thinks about the situation the company is in. If they know a return-policy will let them return something they don't want, they will return it. If you don't want a jacket returned 7 months later when it is out of style, develop a return policy that will only take defective clothes after 3. You can't blame people for following a store policy.

If you want to reduce the number of whiny customers, hire customer service staff that isn't rude. I tend to be fairly mild-mannered in stores knowing that employees are people too, but bad service will draw a complaint from me. Do your job and there is no problem.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do your job and there is no problem.

Well see, right there, you've just introduced a problem.

You're actually expecting people to do the jobs they're being paid for, to expend some effort, to do something right other than just draw a check.

Believe me, that's a problem.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:01 PM   #93
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Well see, right there, you've just introduced a problem.

You're actually expecting people to do the jobs they're being paid for, to expend some effort, to do something right other than just draw a check.

Believe me, that's a problem.

Definitely agree with this. I've lost track of how many people I've had to fire this last year.

knives out
Old 07-22-2006, 05:08 PM   #94
saldana
Pro Starter

my thoughts are this....

1. tell K to stop being such a whiner!

2. if you are really pissed, go back and find the saleswomans' car in the parking lot and write shit on the windows with a bar of soap

3. tell your mom to stop buying you fucking jackets...this is like the 3rd time in the past few years, and you have never worn any of them once!

Last edited by saldana : 07-22-2006 at 05:09 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #95
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Nobody thinks about the situation the company is in. If they know a return-policy will let them return something they don't want, they will return it. If you don't want a jacket returned 7 months later when it is out of style, develop a return policy that will only take defective clothes after 3. You can't blame people for following a store policy.

If you want to reduce the number of whiny customers, hire customer service staff that isn't rude. I tend to be fairly mild-mannered in stores knowing that employees are people too, but bad service will draw a complaint from me. Do your job and there is no problem.
I definitely agree with much of this, and a huge part of my own job is fielding legitimate complaints from people who were mistreated by salespeople. Handling these complaints and reducing the number of times they happen is, I agree, a big thing. A huge thing, actually.

However, the sad fact is that you will never get the whiner quotient down to 0%. For one thing, mistakes will always be made and because of that people will always have legitimate gripes that need to be looked at. For another thing, as st cronin said, there are a certain class of person who believes that they deserve anything that comes to their mind regardless of stated store policy or whatever agreement they may have signed. And there is another, related class of person who believes that if they throw a big enough fit about something, somebody at some level will cave and give them what they're demanding.

And I'm sorry, but I got the professional whiner vibe from the OP. 20 bucks for a jacket that is, by the admission of the poster, not actually being sold by the company, is a bit much. If that company's return policy is "return whatever you want whenever you want", then fine. However, not even good old Nordy's does that anymore, and when they did they didn't cut deals with customers - if you brought in a year-old pair of shoes, they'd let you exchange it for a pair that would be comparable if the shoes were new. More than likely, the cashier was going around policy, and while her stated quip was over the top, there is a sense that when you, as a person providing customer service, do this, you're doing the customer something of a favor.

Perhaps there is information I've yet to hear and I've made assumptions based on my experiences just as others have made assumptions based on theirs in this thread. That's fine. But the fact that mine differ from yours is no reason to toss the "troll" invective around.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:19 AM   #96
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Most people are sheep, yes - those folks don't require any energy at all. There are two significant categories of people that require a tremendous amount of my energy. PRIMADONNAS, who think they are entitled to whatever they want without paying for it; and WHINERS, who think that if they complain about something long and loud enough they will get what they want without paying for it.

Bingo... when working at CVS, these two groups were absolutely brutal in taking time away from people on the floor (such as myself) and managers. Though it wasn't always getting something without paying for it (a lot of times it was). We had people who'd get offended if something wasn't on the shelf and it MAY have been in a bin in the back but we couldn't waste 2 hours to go and look through all of them to find if the lady's thingy was back there.

Working in retail definately shows you that a good portion of customers suck and it doesn't matter how good or bad the manager is (and I ran through a few extremes), it won't change that simple fact.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #97
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
However, the sad fact is that you will never get the whiner quotient down to 0%. For one thing, mistakes will always be made and because of that people will always have legitimate gripes that need to be looked at. For another thing, as st cronin said, there are a certain class of person who believes that they deserve anything that comes to their mind regardless of stated store policy or whatever agreement they may have signed. And there is another, related class of person who believes that if they throw a big enough fit about something, somebody at some level will cave and give them what they're demanding.

You will never get the whiner quotient down to 0%. In general, people suck. I'm sure for every bad customer service person, there are 50 bad customers they have to deal with. Not every situation ends with the customer service person being wrong. I just think that rude comments that seemed to come out of an otherwise civil situation is out of line.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, but I got the professional whiner vibe from the OP. 20 bucks for a jacket that is, by the admission of the poster, not actually being sold by the company, is a bit much. If that company's return policy is "return whatever you want whenever you want", then fine. However, not even good old Nordy's does that anymore, and when they did they didn't cut deals with customers - if you brought in a year-old pair of shoes, they'd let you exchange it for a pair that would be comparable if the shoes were new. More than likely, the cashier was going around policy, and while her stated quip was over the top, there is a sense that when you, as a person providing customer service, do this, you're doing the customer something of a favor.

The part I focused on was "return value of $20". I assumed that to be the value the store put on the item...but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Perhaps there is information I've yet to hear and I've made assumptions based on my experiences just as others have made assumptions based on theirs in this thread. That's fine. But the fact that mine differ from yours is no reason to toss the "troll" invective around.

Did I do that? I don't remember calling you a troll.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did I do that? I don't remember calling you a troll.

Actually BrianD, I believe that was me.

And in spite of his humorous claims of innocence, that's what he is. I'm actually a little surprised more people haven't recognized him as such.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #99
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJDelaney
Galaxy asked if it was upscale. It makes NO difference.

It's still a department store.

I agree with you. I was just wondering how you get a $20 jacket at Macy's.

But Lathum explained it was the "value" the store gave back, not the actual price at the time of purchased.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 PM   #100
Galaxy
Coordinator

Not to slightly take this off thread, but how do clothes "go-out-of-style" (Not talking about the 70's to the 80's to the 90's), but from one year to another (I understand the out-of-season)? Or is it like a "new car", where a '06 is not any different than a '05 with a minor change here and there? Just a marketing tool used to keep sales stable and growing?

Maybe it's because I'm a male.

Last edited by Galaxy : 07-23-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote