Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #51
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I see nothing wrong with talking to your dad about it. You say he's cool... so why not?

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #52
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't know my dad was engaged to my one aunt(5 or so years later he married my mother) until I was in my 30s. She apparently had the dress already bought.

Last edited by stevew : 11-07-2008 at 12:11 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:50 AM   #53
chesapeake
College Starter

"Right to know," in my mind, is not the way to phrase it. I think Lathum has an undeniable "right to ask." Whether his father wants to talk about it is his decision.

And I agree with Pass--any conversation will go a lot better if you try to be as positive as possible.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #54
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
If my parent told me it was none of my business I would look for a new parent.

I wasn't aware that was possible .... are you allowed to keep your old ones and just go for 'extra parents'? ....
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #55
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCY Junkie View Post
I knew I liked you. Maybe I feel this way because my siblings always expect things from me. My sister named her son after me just so I would babysit him more, well that is the feeling I get sometimes.

Wow... TCY Junkie is a terrible name for a kid.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #56
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I wasn't aware that was possible .... are you allowed to keep your old ones and just go for 'extra parents'? ....

The Russian Bride industry is constantly evolving.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #57
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I didn't know my dad was engaged to my one aunt(5 or so years later he married my mother) until I was in my 30s. She apparently had the dress already bought.

So he married his ex-fiance's sister?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:33 AM   #58
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Lathum, waiting and taking time to digest the information is for the best. You may find that you feel differently and what's important changes as you think about it.

I have two half-brothers I have never met. My biological father left before I was born and I've never met him or them. I wasn't even sure I had siblings until about 10 years ago when my aunt ran into someone who looked exactly like me and she thought it was me -- when she learned his name she realized who it was.

Is there curiosity? Sure. Would I gain anything from reaching out to them? Probably not. And while I know about them, there is no guarantee they know about me. Maybe they are better off if I bear that cross.

There may also be a very valid reason why your dad hasn't talked about it. Do you have a right to know? Does your dad have a right to know everything about your life? Ultimately, do you love your dad any less because of this?

If after you digest it you feel like you need to know, ask him. When you receive a burden it's only natural to share it but give your dad a chance to tell you his side. Do you want your sister to feel the way you do right now? Take one for her -- think over and you'll know what you need to do.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #59
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I may have missed this in my skim, but have you considered talking to your aunt about it? She opened the bag, and perhaps would be willing to tell you more about it. Might help you get emotionally prepared to talk to your father about it once you know the background.

I'm an only child, so I have no thought here, but my wife is one of 4 kids. All of them are extremely close, even the so called misfit of the family. I could see her really wanting to know and I think you have every right to know as well. They are family, and even in today's society, that has to mean something.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #60
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My uncle is my dads brother.
That's not all that shocking.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I guess I'm on the opposite side -- my biological father, who I've talked to over the phone once in the last 25 years, has at least a daughter in his second marriage. It never occurred to me to wonder if his kid(s) know about me.

I think you have a right to know, and even moreso, now that you know a little, you have a right to know the whole story. That said, I think you'll get more of the story if you approach with curiosity rather than any feeling like you've been deceived (if you feel that way).

bump

So I got a message from my half-sister on facebook today. I think it's cool she found me. She said she didn't know I existed until she was 17 (she's 27 now). Reading this thread again, and thinking about the stuff Lathum said, I'm pretty sure that as I talk to her more, I don't want to hear what an awesome dad my father was. Part of me wants her to tell me she thinks he kinda sucks, too. On the other hand, I do want to hear as much as I can about my dad without having to actually talk to him. Lathum's story seems a lot different if his father wasn't able to be a part of his earlier kids' lives, but I don't think that was the case with me.

So Lathum, what's the latest on your story, anyway?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That's cool PAss that she found you.

My father told me he will explain everything at some point when I was home over Christmas last year. I guess my Aunt told him she slipped up. Haven't heard anything more about it. They are visiting in September so maybe then.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #63
NiteMaestro
High School JV

Best of luck with that.
NiteMaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #64
Khorium
n00b

There's a big reason why you, your sister, and your half-siblings all need to get this garbage out in the open sooner rather than later.

When your old man dies, it will be a MESS. Not to put a really negative spin on it, but that's a fact. Everything will come out of the woodwork at that point, and he needs to sack up and deal with it now, and not wait for his kids to sort it out in probate court when he croaks.
Khorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #65
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorium View Post
There's a big reason why you, your sister, and your half-siblings all need to get this garbage out in the open sooner rather than later.

When your old man dies, it will be a MESS. Not to put a really negative spin on it, but that's a fact. Everything will come out of the woodwork at that point, and he needs to sack up and deal with it now, and not wait for his kids to sort it out in probate court when he croaks.

I dunno...there's a very good chance that not saying anything would avoid a mess, since his dad's other kids probably don't know anything now, and wouldn't find out when he dies.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

even if they do my father is very meticulous about his affairs so I am certain they are in order however he wants them, but that thought did cross my mind.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote