Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2003, 01:53 PM   #51
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Buzzbee
Ok, this brings up an interesting point. Sitcoms that resulted in additional sitcoms. I would say All in the Family resulted in the most - Jeffersons, Maude, and wasn't 227 based on Florence from the Jeffersons?

227 was separate, but I believe there was a show called Florence, where Florence went to work for a hotel, but the show lasted only a year and she returned to The Jeffersons.

cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #52
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Sure. Laverne & Shirley, Joanie Loves Chachie, and Mork & Mindy all come to mind. And Happy Days was itself a spin-off of sorts... its genesis was a short on Love, American Style.

Refresh my memory. How was Mork & Mindy, based in the 70's a spinoff from Happy Days, based in the 50's? Was there one particular episode that I don't remember where Mork was on Happy Days? And were Laverne and Shirley, and Lenny and Squiggy on Happy Days? This one seems like less of a stretch and I think, somewhere in the dusty cob-webbed corners of my brain, I remember an appearance. When I think spin-off, I think of Frasier on Cheers, keeping his character of Frasier Crane the uppity shrink, and moving to a new show.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:55 PM   #53
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
227 was separate, but I believe there was a show called Florence, where Florence went to work for a hotel, but the show lasted only a year and she returned to The Jeffersons.

That's it. I knew there was one, but I couldn't think of it.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Refresh my memory. How was Mork & Mindy, based in the 70's a spinoff from Happy Days, based in the 50's? Was there one particular episode that I don't remember where Mork was on Happy Days? And were Laverne and Shirley, and Lenny and Squiggy on Happy Days? This one seems like less of a stretch and I think, somewhere in the dusty cob-webbed corners of my brain, I remember an appearance. When I think spin-off, I think of Frasier on Cheers, keeping his character of Frasier Crane the uppity shrink, and moving to a new show.

First, let me remind you: this is television. Normal rules of time and space need not apply.

Yes, Mork first appeared on Happy Days, as a deliberate seeding to get the character under the American skin. Worked like a charm, and the fully intended show had its start. I think the main foursome from L&S did all appear on Happy Days as minor characters, and then developed into a bona fide spin-off.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 01:59 PM   #55
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Was there one particular episode that I don't remember where Mork was on Happy Days?

At least one, yes.

http://www.poobala.com/happydaysandmork.html

Quote:

And were Laverne and Shirley, and Lenny and Squiggy on Happy Days? This one seems like less of a stretch and I think, somewhere in the dusty cob-webbed corners of my brain, I remember an appearance.

They started out as some rather loose girls who I believe hung around the Fonz, before they had their own show. Both shows were based in Milwaukee.

http://www.poobala.com/happydaysandlas.html
Old 09-15-2003, 02:04 PM   #56
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

The Simpsons
I Love Lucy
Happy Days
All In The Family
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 PM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fonzie
Happy Days

I guess you really didn't have much coice with that one...

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM   #58
Buzzbee
College Starter

Well, there you have it. Mork and L&S originated on Happy Days.

Gives me a little newfound respect (I GUESS that's what you'd call it) for Happy Days. It's still no MASH or Cheers, but held in slightly higher regard than before.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #59
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I can't believe I forgot The Andy Griffith Show. I can rewatch all of the ones in B/W over and over again. Four is just way too short a list.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #60
Swaggs
Coordinator

227 ran for several seasons. It was the address of the apartment that Florence and her family lived in, along with Jackee Harry, the woman from Sesame Street, and the old lady that sat in the window making wisecracks.

Although they were not spinoffs, I was just thinking that it was (mildly) interesting that all three of the other Seinfield characters had horrendous failures on their turns as sitcom stars.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 PM   #61
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
I guess you really didn't have much coice with that one...

Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Of course! Even though I'm the one who made the show "jump the shark..."
Old 09-15-2003, 03:12 PM   #62
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
227 ran for several seasons. It was the address of the apartment that Florence and her family lived in, along with Jackee Harry, the woman from Sesame Street, and the old lady that sat in the window making wisecracks.

But it wasn't Florence Johnston....the character's name was "Mary Jenkins". The spinoff to the Jeffersons with Florence in it was actually called Checking In (got that incorrect before - sorry).
Old 09-15-2003, 05:28 PM   #63
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

The Wonder Years
Seinfeld
Happy Days
Cheers
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #64
TredWel
High School Varsity

I Love Lucy
All In The Family
The Simpsons
Seinfeld

These are not necessarily my favorites (though there are a couple of intersections), they are just the four that I think most profoundly shaped and changed the genre of sitcom into what it is today.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:16 PM   #65
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I Love Lucy
All in the Family
The Cosby Show
Seinfeld

They all pretty well defined their generation and the world around them. MASH was really only a sitcom its first two seasons or so before it started taking itself so seriously. I L ove Lucy could probably be interchanged with Andy Griffith or the Honeymooners.

I can't say any of the four I listed would be in my personal top 4 though.

Honestly, I didn't look at the post above mine when I threw my 2 cents out.

Last edited by Ryche : 09-15-2003 at 07:17 PM.
Ryche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:33 PM   #66
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Since the beginning of this thread, has anyone else spent a significant amount of time reading about all kinds of TV crossovers and spin-offs they didn't know existed?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 07:43 PM   #67
FBPro
College Starter

Seinfeld
All in the Family
The Bob Newhart Show
Friends

How can one of these lists be made w/o Seinfeld being on it?
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #69
Craptacular
College Starter

Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Married with Children
Nightcourt
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:14 PM   #70
Easy Mac

Inside Schwarz
Veronica's Closet
HangTime
Designing WImen

Serious:
Simpsons
Sports Night (classify?)
Married with Children
Boy Meets World
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:17 PM   #71
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
Sports Night (classify?)

"I finally get Aaron Sorken's Sports Night! It's a comedy that's too good to be funny."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:18 PM   #72
mckerney
Coordinator

Dola:

Also forgot about Married With Children at the time of making my list, though I think that Andy Richter still beats it out for the 4th spot in a close one
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:27 AM   #73
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

M*A*S*H
I Love Lucy
Seinfeld
Simpsons
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:30 AM   #74
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I probably didn't make this explicit enough in my earlier post, but I'm really, really sorry about that whole shark jumping business. Not cool.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:24 AM   #75
Bad-example
College Starter

I Love Lucy
All in the Family
M*A*S*H
Red Dwarf
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 07:48 AM   #76
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thank everyone fior your comments and discussion. Looks like there is interest in this idea of a daily Mount Rushmore, and so here's my plan. Based on his strong submission in this thread, along with several useful follow-ups in the related "spin-off" discussions, I nominate cuervo72 to assume control of the Mount Rushmore for Tuesday. I have sent him a message to this effect.

In my mind, this isn't really a contest - just an interesting discussion. But I'm rewarding cuervo for his efforts, and hope that we can continue the tradition in that spirit. For today, it's his to run - he will select the topic, and (hopefully) pass the baton after it has run its course.