Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #51
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBug708
So, when is Tucker coming to California to play De La Salle? Or Long Beach Poly?

How many in a row now for De La Salle?

tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:35 PM   #52
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
That would be QB D.T. McDowell, who Rivals lists as the #20 player in Georgia for the class of '04. (Tucker is the only school with 3 in the Top 20 for the state this year. ) D.T. has scholly offers from LSU, Auburn and Mississippi State among others. However, he may get picked in the June 2004 MLB draft as as pitcher.

D.T. is now being heavily recruited by Nebraska.

D.T. is the most athletic quarterback I've seen at Tucker since 1990 when I started following their program.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:42 PM   #53
sony
High School JV

Digamma - Can you post the video clips of D.T. up on here?
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:50 PM   #54
digamma
Torchbearer

I can't. I'm not a member of either Rivals or the Insiders.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:14 PM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I'll put some D.T. videos up later tonight, or (more likely) tomorrow morning.
Old 07-12-2003, 05:34 AM   #56
Ben E Lou

As promised.

These videos showcase D.T. very well. He's got GREAT presence in the pocket. If the receiver is open, he'll throw from the pocket under pressure and take the hit. At times, he'll scramble to buy mnore time, then square up and complete the pass to the open receiver. If that isn't there, he'll take off and run it himself. On one play, you'll see him toss it 60 yards in the air, moving forward and to the left, while NOT squared up. Of course, with D.T. and Thomas back there, the option this year was particularly devastating. Here are the videos:

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...CDOWELLDT1.wmv

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...CDOWELLDT2.wmv

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...CDOWELLDT3.wmv

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...CDOWELLDT4.wmv

http://www.younglifenorthdekalb.com/...CDOWELLDT5.wmv

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-12-2003 at 05:59 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 05:46 AM   #57
Ben E Lou

Dola--

The one potential knock on D.T. is that he isn't exactly as humble as Thomas. OK. OK.....I'm not sure he's exactly as humble as Barry Bonds. An article from last week...
Quote:
When it comes to athletic quarterbacks, D.T. McDowell is one of the nation's best. He has a great arm and can run. Mark my words... McDowell will be a HOT name this fall. He also happens to be one of the top baseball prospects as well.

The state of Georgia is blessed with some super signal callers this season - A.J. Bryant (Georgia commitment), Alex Mortensen, Calvin Booker, and Cullen Harper. One other quarterback to keep a serious eye on is D.T. McDowell from Tucker, Georgia. After this season, look for his recruiting stock to sky rocket.

On film, he is very impressive, showing great play making ability with his strong arm and running ability. McDowell also happens to be one of the country's top baseball prospects.

"I love both football and baseball," McDowell said. "I would love to play both sports in college. But I need to see what happens in June (2004). I will keep all of my options open."

McDowell is a pitcher and center fielder. He has recently been clocked throwing a 94 mile per hour fastball. Last season, he was 10-1 with a 1.07 ERA and he hit .427 with nine home runs.

This summer, he has been playing baseball with the Knoxville Yardbirds. They have traveled to Florida, Nebraska, Missouri and even Australia to play.

Last season as the quarterback for Tucker, McDowell passed for 1,550 yards and 14 touchdowns. He also rushed for 13 scores. He can do it all.

"I have the ability to throw and I have a very strong arm. I can run too. I just like to go out there and make plays. We opened up the offense last season and I worked very hard."

McDowell also has the luxury to hand the ball off to the state's top running back and one of the top prospects in the country in Thomas Brown. The two are very close.

"He is like my best friend. It takes a load off me to have him back there. He has my back and I have his. If they stop me I just give it to my boy."

This summer, McDowell has visited both Auburn and Nebraska. He camped with the Tigers and came away impressed. While he was playing baseball in Nebraska, he stopped to see the Cornhuskers.

"Auburn was a great camp. I did very well there. I saw their facilities, stadium and met with Coach (Tommy) Tuberville. He seems like a very interesting person.

“Nebraska was real cool. I got to throw the ball with Turner Gill. I thought he was just an ordinary coach... I said ‘Turner who?’ And people started telling me what a great player he was at Nebraska. That was humbling.

“But Nebraska was great. I also hit coach (Frank) Solich running a post pattern right in his hands. He just took off running. He said that was my first TD pass in Memorial Stadium. I told him it wouldn't be my last.

“Coach Solich and I are a lot alike. We both like to joke around but we are both very serious too.”

Currently, Nebraska and Auburn are his two favorites. McDowell also is looking at Georgia, Mississippi State, Clemson and Florida State. If there is one team to watch out for, it’s the Georgia Bulldogs. He will attend their one day camp later this month.

“I have been to Georgia and it’s nice there. But I have not yet met coach (Mark) Richt. I hope to see him at the senior camp. I know they want to see me in person. I need to show them D.T. McDowell. I have to earn their respect and the respect of this state. There is always a lot of talent and some good quarterbacks this season but I know I can compete against anyone. Like I said, I have to go out and earn it. Georgia is no different. I am not scared on competing there. In fact, I wouldn’t mind putting on the red and black. They were my childhood dream team.”

So McDowell, like some other two-sport stars on the past, will have two tough decisions to make in the next 11 months. For now, he is just getting ready for his senior year and we know one decision will be made on Signing Day in 2004.

“I know I will be going somewhere for four years or so, so I want to be comfortable wherever I choose. Distance doesn’t matter but the coaching staff does. They have to interact well and get along with the players. Offensive scheme will be important to because I want to have the ability to run the ball.

“Right now, it’s Nebraska or Auburn. They are my leaders.”

In addition to be a star on the diamond and gridiron, McDowell isn’t bad on the links as well. He shoots in the low to mid 80s. He will also camp at LSU later this month.
The good news for Dawg fans is that IF Georgia offers (once he "shows them D.T. McDowell" ), I doubt that he'd be deterred by the presence of A.J. Bryant in the recruiting class.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #58
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
How many in a row now for De La Salle?

120 or so I believe? Since 1990
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #59
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's incredible.... how are they looking this year?
Old 07-12-2003, 08:37 PM   #60
Frifoff
n00b

Here is another awesome RB but from last year's recruiting class. 6'1 200 lbs. Austin Scott (PSU frosh) racked up over 3,330 yards last year. He flew under most people's radar because he missed his junior season with a knee injury. Had he been healthy his junior year he would've been top 5 overall in nation. Here is a link to some videos of his runs (scott6 prob best):
Austin Scott
Frifoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:40 PM   #61
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pretty much the same I guess. They are NorCal and I live in SoCal. LBP has more talent, but is poorly ran
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:16 PM   #62
tucker342
Pro Starter

What city is De La Salle in anyways?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:34 PM   #63
JeeberD
General Manager

Dammit SkyDog, you gotta talk at least one of your Tucker kids into coming to UTEP. Sounds like there's some amazing talent on your team...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 12:35 AM   #64
tucker342
Pro Starter

NO! There all going to Iowa!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #65
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Skydog's boy Thomas Brown to Georgia

Just read it in the ESPN recruiting section. Highly touted QB Rhett Bomar commits to OU

Link
Old 07-28-2003, 11:11 AM   #66
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

And Florida State got 4 star QB Drew Weatherford and 4 star RB Jamaal Edwards.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:16 AM   #67
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmmm.. wonder how ol' SkyDog will feel about UGa getting Brown. ::grins::
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:21 AM   #68
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by QuikSand
Hmmm.. wonder how ol' SkyDog will feel about UGa getting Brown. ::grins::
Dang. I just got back from practice. I wanted to break this news myself! He told me around 9:30am at a break in practice.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:24 AM   #69
Ben E Lou

Incidentally, one of our WR's has committed to Auburn also.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:25 AM   #70
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Sky what about Brandon Lang where is he leaning.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:27 AM   #71
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Noop
Sky what about Brandon Lang where is he leaning.
If Georgia offers, he'll be there. If not, I'm betting on FSU.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:29 AM   #72
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Do you know any reason why Georgia hasn't offered? But if they want him I'm sure Florida State will take him gladly.

noop

www.warchant.com
Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 AM   #73
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

SD

Sorry about stealing your thunder. Do you think Brown will eventually sign with Georgia or do you think he'll consider other schools still and maybe change his commitment at some point before signing day.

Last edited by bigdawg2003 : 07-28-2003 at 11:36 AM.
bigdawg2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #74
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Noop
Do you know any reason why Georgia hasn't offered? But if they want him I'm sure Florida State will take him gladly.

noop

www.warchant.com
I'm guessing that they are concerned about him not being able to beef up. Brandon is a lanky kid, listed at 6'4", and as much as 225 in some places, but he's really probably barely 210.

This is gonna be a fun year for our relatively small school (<1,400 students). We've got four kids who are locks for BCS Conferences, and maybe as many as 7.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-28-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #75
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdawg2003
SD

Sorry about stealing your thunder. Do you think Brown will eventually sign with Georgia or do you think he'll consider other schools still and maybe change his commitment at some point before signing day.
No prob on stealin' the thunder. Guess I should have posted from my PalmPilot at practice.

Thomas has a strong family that he'd like to be near, has former teammate Darius Swain in Athens, and may have good buddy Brandon Lang there with him as well. Plus, he's been a Georgia fan since childhood. Unless something weird happens (like Kregg Lumpkin grabbing the starting spot this year), I'd be surprised if he changes his mind. Tucker has never won a state championship, and a big part of Thomas giving a verbal early is that he wants to focus on changing that this year.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:44 AM   #76
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Threadjack since I know Noop is haning out in this thread:

Hey Noop, I don't know much about hip hop so I don't know who or what it is, but there was song song playing in a bar the other night with the Seminole War Chant playing throughout it. In spite of that not being my kind of music, it was done pretty well. The song was both cool and annoying at the same time. By now, I'm sure you know what song it is.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:47 AM   #77
mckerney
Coordinator

You're high school's a helluva lot better at football than mine. Since the one good player who went through my school (he did end up an All American at Texas though, but that was a long time ago) we really haven't had any good football players. The next two years are probably going to see one guy going to Division I football, and that's only because they're big linemen. Decent skills, but no where near some of the other players that we've had recently.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #78
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Threadjack since I know Noop is haning out in this thread:

Hey Noop, I don't know much about hip hop so I don't know who or what it is, but there was song song playing in a bar the other night with the Seminole War Chant playing throughout it. In spite of that not being my kind of music, it was done pretty well. The song was both cool and annoying at the same time. By now, I'm sure you know what song it is.

Its called "Shake Ya Tailfeather" by Nelly ft P.Diddy, Murphy Lee.

noop
Old 07-28-2003, 11:49 AM   #79
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

mck, it's the difference between living in the North and living in the South. In the South, things like this are holy and sacred.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:54 AM   #80
mckerney
Coordinator

That's one thing I know, and my school was even worse than most for a while. No one really played, and those who didn't didn't put any work into it.

I am kinda glad I went to school where I did though, because I don't think I'd have gotten on the field that much down south. Though up here I got to play, and at noseguard nonetheless (no matter how undersized I was for it)
Old 07-28-2003, 11:59 AM   #81
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Exactly. In my travels, I perceive that Southern HS football is bigger and more important than many college programs here in the West and in New England. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited by Anrhydeddu : 07-28-2003 at 12:00 PM.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:00 PM   #82
JeeberD
General Manager

One of my big regrets is not playing football in high school. I had the size for it (6'2" 210) and coaches were always bugging me to play, but for some reason I always said no. Bad decision. Especially since 6'2" white boys with no hops don't get far in basketball (which was my true love)...

Old 07-28-2003, 12:16 PM   #83
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeberD
One of my big regrets is not playing football in high school. I had the size for it (6'2" 210) and coaches were always bugging me to play, but for some reason I always said no. Bad decision. Especially since 6'2" white boys with no hops don't get far in basketball (which was my true love)...

5'11" white boys with no hops also don't get far, but my intramural team still went undefeated!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:22 PM   #84
JeeberD
General Manager

Yeah, well, my work softball team has a perfect record also....

So what if it's a perfect losing record...

Old 07-28-2003, 12:35 PM   #85
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Although I went to high school in Georgia, we had no one from all 4 years make it to any college football program that I'm aware of - aside from one guy who was 5th string WR for GT one year (I think he walked on). The only year we were any good, our star tailback was ruled to have illegally transferred to our school, and we had to forfeit all of our games, matching our win total from at least 1 of my other years there!.

However, I did get to see Andre Hastings score 3 TDs against my team. That was fun, in a hindsight kinda way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #86
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Although I went to high school in Georgia, we had no one from all 4 years make it to any college football program that I'm aware of - aside from one guy who was 5th string WR for GT one year (I think he walked on). The only year we were any good, our star tailback was ruled to have illegally transferred to our school, and we had to forfeit all of our games, matching our win total from at least 1 of my other years there!.

However, I did get to see Andre Hastings score 3 TDs against my team. That was fun, in a hindsight kinda way.

New Jersey here. To my knowledge only 2 players have gone on to play I-AA (from my school), and both of them to Ivy League schools. I started and lettered at left tackle my senior year, and I can personally say we had maybe one college caliber player, but he transfered out of our high school after his sophomore year.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-28-2003 at 01:42 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:05 PM   #87
Ben E Lou

Well, it's not like EVERY HS in the South is sending multiple guys to D-1 every season. Tucker, particularly for a school as small as it is, is a top-tier program, with a current 26-game regular season winning streak, playing in a tough Region. Performance definitely begets performance. When Jabari Davis was younger, he knew he had to work VERY hard to be as good as Patrick Pass. When Terrell Jordan was Jabari's backup, he saw what it took in the weight room and on the practice field for the "J-Train" to be the J-Train, and he earned himself a scholly to Northwestern. When Thomas was in the weight room with Terrell, he saw Jordan's hard work and dedication. Thomas imitated that, and now he'll be a Dawg. Brandon Young, Thomas' understudy at TB, works his butt off in the weight room and practice field as well, because that's what he has seen Thomas do. Because of that legacy, "B.Y.", in the Class of '05, will most likely be the 5th consecutive Tucker tailback to go D-1.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-28-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #88
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can remember 3 from high school that made it to major programs from the years I played, one each year. Brian Moser at Penn State, Mike Frederick at UVa, and Cornelius White at VTech.

Some others I'm finding are Chris Vincent, currently at Oregon; Antoine Lovelace, spent 2 years at Rutgers, and Jamar Brittingham who just signed at Rutgers. It also looks like Mark Cordelli might have played at Arkansas under Lou Holtz?
Old 07-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #89
mckerney
Coordinator

As far as watching players who became good, my sophomore year my school played Holy Angels from Minnesota, a team that featured WR Larry Fitzgerald. We were able to do a decent job against him and he didn't have all that good a game.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #90
Ben E Lou

From http://www.tuckertigersfootball.com
Quote:
Professional Players
Kevin Turks - 1994 Chicago Bears (Pro Scout)
Patrick Pass - 1996 New England Patriots

College Players
Jason Culp - 1998 Morehead State
Trey Mathews - 1998 University of Tennessee/Chattanooga
Bernard Snowden - 1998 University of Tennessee/Chattanooga
Nick Whiteside - 1998 Kentucky Wesleyan
Bryan Lamar - 1999 University of Tennessee/Chattanooga
Greg Billingslea - 2000 University of Memphis
Jabari Davis - 2000 University of Tennessee
Stephen Ogletree - 2000 James Madison University
Gene Pate - 2000 Clemson University
Darius Swain - 2000 University of Georgia
Jamar Bell - 2001 Norfolk State University
Corinthius Dunbar - 2001 The Citadel
Tim Goodwell - 2001 University of Memphis
Terrell Jordan - 2001 Northwestern University
Patrick Reed - 2001 South Carolina State University
Bryce Wright - 2001 Savannah State University
Old 07-28-2003, 06:08 PM   #91
tucker342
Pro Starter

he should have gone to Iowa

congrats to him, I hope he does well at Georgia
Old 07-28-2003, 06:28 PM   #92
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Because of that legacy, "B.Y.", in the Class of '05, will most likely be the 5th consecutive Tucker tailback to go D-1.

He might actually be the 6th, as Vince Griffin who was class of 94 went to Middle Tennessee State. I think they are D-1 now, but I'm not sure if they were when Vince went there.

(Incidentally, the 93 team probably started this run--although some may argue that it was 87 or 88. That team went 9-1, but lost its first round play-off game to Columbia by one point in overtime. Tucker scored with :36 seconds left in OT. Columbia then scored in three plays (all passes to Juan Gaston, who played basketball for Georgia Tech before transferring to a smaller school where he could play football and basketball) with one second left and had to go for two because Tucker had a penetration edge. They got it. Tucker could have downed the ball before they scored and won on penetration, but the head coach was worried about a fumble and wanted the points. Skydog, if you remember the Creekside play-off game from a few years ago; it was eerily similar. The 94 team then went to the state semifinals.)

Last edited by digamma : 07-28-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:55 PM   #93
BillyMadison
High School Varsity

Skydog--- you are the coach? Wow... thats cool.

Go Notre Dame.
BillyMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #94
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyMadison
Skydog--- you are the coach? Wow... thats cool.

Go Notre Dame.
No, not the coach. I work for a non-denominational outreach ministry. A big part of my job is being directly involved in kids' lives, so I spend a lot of time at practices, games, etc., so I'm around the high school a LOT (generally I'm at something involving THS kids at least 3 days a week). Several kids who don't know me THINK I'm a coach or teacher since they see me around a good bit. Invariably I'll go to the grocery store or the Chick-Fil-A, get served by a teenager who I don't know, and they'll say, "Don't you coach at Tucker?" or "Don't you teach at Tucker?"
Old 07-28-2003, 11:01 PM   #95
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Good news, good news.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:18 AM   #96
Ben E Lou

Preseason rankings according to Rivals.com...

South
1. Palm Bay, Melbourne, Fla. (13-2)
2. Parkview, Lilburn, Ga. (15-0)
3. Evangel Christian, Shreveport, La. (14-1)
4. Lufkin, Texas (12-3)
5. Lincoln, Tallahassee, Fla. (12-1-1)
6. Trinity, Louisville, Ky. (15-0)
7. Independence, Charlotte, N.C. (16-0)
8. Ennis, Texas (13-2)
9. Edison, Miami, Fla. (9-2)
10. Texarkana Texas High, Texarkana, Texas (14-1)
11. Summerville, S.C. (11-3)
12. Richmond County, Rockingham, N.C. (12-1)
13. Hoover, Ala. (13-1)
14. The Woodlands, Texas (7-5)
15. Rockledge, Fla. (14-1)
16. Wayne County, Waynesboro, Miss. (14-1)
17. Union, S.C. (14-1)
18. Tucker, Ga. (12-1)
19. Columbia, Lake City, Fla. (11-2)
20. Waco, Texas (11-1)
21. South Panola, Batesville, Miss. (14-1)
22. Brentwood, Tenn. (14-1)
23. Byrnes, Duncan, S.C. (14-1)
24. West Monroe, La. (11-4)
25. Prattville, Ala. (12-2)

Wow! Of the handful of those schools that I am familiar with, all are sgnificantly larger than Tucker. (Parkview is DOUBLE our size.) Good to see the Tigers gettin' some love.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:07 AM   #97
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That is big, SD. Another thing that is big is they are the only two from Georgia in the top ten! Where have all the power-houses gone?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 12:47 PM   #98
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyMadison
Go Notre Dame.

Hmm... That explains a lot to me.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:16 PM   #99
Ben E Lou

These boys are serious about focusing on the matter at hand during the season. D.T., our QB, went ahead and committed to Nebraska. D.T. is a big baseball prospect as well. If he gets drafted, I wonder if he'll ever play a down for the 'Huskers.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:20 PM   #100
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
These boys are serious about focusing on the matter at hand during the season. D.T., our QB, went ahead and committed to Nebraska. D.T. is a big baseball prospect as well. If he gets drafted, I wonder if he'll ever play a down for the 'Huskers.

Nebraska is said to be looking at a player who goes to my old school and will be a junior this year. He started every game at offensive tackle as a sophomore last year, and he's mainly getting looks because of his size, as he was 6'7" and around 270 as a freshman.