Me thinks DD is lying.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08

gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 10:40 AM   #52
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I find it interesting that LSD or shrooms is only mildly concerning in your view. There is scientific evidence that they can have long lasting effects, including long-lasting psychosis.

The skipping makes me happy.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #53
Poli
FOFC Survivor

This thread was in need of The Afoci.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #54
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Needs more cowbell.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I find it interesting that LSD or shrooms is only mildly concerning in your view. There is scientific evidence that they can have long lasting effects, including long-lasting psychosis.

Perhaps there have been more recent studies about them since I was in school, but the ones I remember hearing about were highly dubious in their application and the conclusions drawn. If you have other, better info I'd be interested to read it.

However, my main reasons for expressing only a mild concern for them is twofold: neither one is physically addictive, and both are extremely unlikely to cause death through overdosing (from a physical perspective) - the physical lethality of LSD is almost non-existent, and psylocibin's is very low.

Now, that doesn't mean I advocate people running out and dropping acid and popping 'shrooms willy-nilly. They are both extremely powerful psychadelics, and if you don't take the proper care you can have a very traumatic experience. I've experimented with both in the past, and while I had enjoyable experiences with both, I also witnessed people react badly to them and have an awful time. Psychadelics I like to equate as sensory amplifiers, and without the proper setting - a comfortable, safe location and trusted friends - the experience can turn very uncomfortable.

Additionally, I think people that are already potentially unstable from a psychological perspective should avoid these drugs like the plague. I don't think Syd Barrett went insane just because of all the acid he took, but that combined with his existing psychological imbalances was a bad combination.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #56
korme
Go Reds

I've always figured shrooms were on a much lower concern scale than coke, heroin, or shit like that.

Now where is that syringe.

ha-ha
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:54 PM   #57
JeeberD
General Manager

Well, I forwarded a link to her page to my bro and sis (both of whose opinion I value) and the general consensus seems to be that if it was "just" pot it wouldn't be that huge of a deal, but the "among other drugs" line has us worried. We're still trying to decide if we're gonna tell her parents...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #58
Subby
lolzcat

Post the link to her MySpace page and I'll give you an honest assessment. I have four kids and none of them have EVER done drugs....
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 02:19 PM   #59
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Well, I forwarded a link to her page to my bro and sis (both of whose opinion I value) and the general consensus seems to be that if it was "just" pot it wouldn't be that huge of a deal, but the "among other drugs" line has us worried. We're still trying to decide if we're gonna tell her parents...

Any chance any of you would be able to talk to her about this issue before going to her parents?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:47 PM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Fair enough. I would agree that Heroin and Cocaine are more dangerous from the perspective of a higher potential for addiction. I just wouldn't label LSD as mildly concerning as people do occasionally have seizures and other serious "side effects" from them. I'll never forget when I was 13 and hanging out with my uncle started seizing and swallowing his tongue. To my knowledge, all that he had done was LSD in the past 24 hour period (and I know that he had done it very recently before he started seizing.)

Also, there are no good studies that I'm aware of, but some people do develop long term psychosis from these powerful hallucinogenics. The question is: Did they have an underlying psychosis or potential for psychosis that was merely unmasked or exacerbated by their psychadelic usage?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread.

Good luck with this tough decision.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #62
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Fair enough. I would agree that Heroin and Cocaine are more dangerous from the perspective of a higher potential for addiction. I just wouldn't label LSD as mildly concerning as people do occasionally have seizures and other serious "side effects" from them. I'll never forget when I was 13 and hanging out with my uncle started seizing and swallowing his tongue. To my knowledge, all that he had done was LSD in the past 24 hour period (and I know that he had done it very recently before he started seizing.)

Similar to other manufactured drugs like meth, ecstacy and crack, another large concern with LSD is that you just have no idea what went into it and whatever 'filler' is in there can sometimes be just as harmful as the drug itself. Back when I was a youngster the crappy blotter LSD was typically cut with speed or strychnine. To a smaller degree that's the problem with ALL drugs, since whatever you're messing with was grown and/or processed long ago by someone halfway around the world, and has been through who knows how many hands before it hits your cousins innards.

Just about any drug could be considered deadly because there is no guarantee on what you're getting and how any of it will react with your body. Then again, I've smoked everything from airplane glue to abba-zabba....hell I might shiv you for a bong-load right now, but I'm almost a productive member of society, so I say let her plot her own way through these choppy waters. If she's already engaging in recreational drug use it's my humble opinion that any interference is just as likely to push her further down that road as it is to 'rescue her' so you might as well let her decide her own fate.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #63
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy
If she's already engaging in recreational drug use it's my humble opinion that any interference is just as likely to push her further down that road as it is to 'rescue her' so you might as well let her decide her own fate.

Depends on how you go about asking her about her usage. Any type of inquiry that feels like it's judgemental is going to put up her defenses and could be counter-productive. If Jeeber and/or his siblings can talk to her on a peer level without coming across as judging her, they might be able to get useful information - how much is she smoking, what other drugs is she taking, what's the crowd like that she's hanging out with while getting high, how safe is her dealer, etc. Of course, if the person talking with her about this stuff isn't relatively familiar with all of it themselves, they probably won't be able to get a good guage on whether she's got a good handle on things or is possibly getting herself into trouble (or already has).
Old 07-25-2005, 10:08 PM   #64
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan
Psychadelics I like to equate as sensory amplifiers, and without the proper setting - a comfortable, safe location and trusted friends - the experience can turn very uncomfortable.

Your surroundings are very important. In my half truth, half fictional 'dynasty' about my ill fated trip to Duluth, I had a very negative reaction to a hotel room and Canal Park in general. I would not advise taking a large quantity in unfamiliar surroundings no matter what tolerance you have in 'normal situations'. IMAX isn't where you want to be when that stuff kicks in. You also don't want three stories of stairs between you and the exit. And glass doors might as well not be there. Duluth is mean.