Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #51
dfisher
High School JV

I may be missing it, but I haven't figured out how to trade prospects for a major league player. I'm trying to trade Adam Eaton for anything. I put him in the trade box and push R2 (PS3) to change the level for the opposing team. Eaton then disappears and it changes the level of my team as well.

dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #52
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfisher View Post
I may be missing it, but I haven't figured out how to trade prospects for a major league player. I'm trying to trade Adam Eaton for anything. I put him in the trade box and push R2 (PS3) to change the level for the opposing team. Eaton then disappears and it changes the level of my team as well.

Try lowering your asking price to a case of beer. Not the good stuff either, try piss water like Coors Light.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #53
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Try lowering your asking price to a case of beer. Not the good stuff either, try piss water like Coors Light.

yeah seriously. FOM may have acutally got it right in this case.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #54
dfisher
High School JV

I was trying to trade him for the worst possible minor leaguer but couldn't figure out how to do it. I ended up trading him and Matt Stairs for Rocco Baldelli, so it looks like the game didn't get that right.
dfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #55
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Geez, you know a game is bad when the final feedback comment from Bill Abner is basically, 'hey, but The Show comes out soon!'..........

The Nut and the Feisty Weasel: MLB Front Officer Manager
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #56
AgustusM
College Prospect

the game is just too close to my ideal of game, I have to try it for myself.

I tried for about a week to rent it, but none of the 4 rental stores I tried had it so today I finally caved and just bought it.

Now I am always pining for the return of sports games to the PC, but after reading about the need to load steam and how controller centric the game is I decided to just get the 360 version. (not to mention they had the 360 and I would have to have ordered and waited another week for the PC version)

My initial impression after just a short time with it is mostly lukewarm. The interface is brutally bad. I don't know who is designing these things and in what meeting a group sat around and says to themselves: "you know what would be good is a 5 button combo just to see a players potential, and another 4 buttons to filter by position, when a single trigger like all the other sports games would suffice." Plus I fail to understand why these console driven games always require you to scroll to see pertinent statistics. who would ever want to see AVG, HR and RBI on the same screen.

OOTP may have some warts, but v1 was better than this game in ease of use. The current OOTP version blow this out of the water.

Now the good news, the in game experience shows a lot of promise. The cut to the chase pitch by pitch is fantastic (check out PastaPadres site he has some video)

the picture in picture take a little getting use to, but the in game interface is easy enough. I did find it bizarre that there was no option to change my lineup before the game. If their theory is you are the GM and not the manager and thus wouldn't have control over that, then why would i be able to steal, bunt, change pitchers, etc.

the graphics are good, if not quite up to 2nd gen par. I do really like the classic far press box view.

overall I believe I will enjoy playing some games out and I had enough of an interesting off-season (signing Manny Ramirez and Jeff Kent to the Giants) that I will probably make it through a season. If I was going to play a career, OOTP is a much better option.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post

I tried for about a week to rent it, but none of the 4 rental stores I tried had it so today I finally caved and just bought it.

Now I am always pining for the return of sports games to the PC, but after reading about the need to load steam and how controller centric the game is I decided to just get the 360 version. (not to mention they had the 360 and I would have to have ordered and waited another week for the PC version)

My initial impression after just a short time with it is mostly lukewarm. The interface is brutally bad. I don't know who is designing these things and in what meeting a group sat around and says to themselves: "you know what would be good is a 5 button combo just to see a players potential, and another 4 buttons to filter by position, when a single trigger like all the other sports games would suffice." Plus I fail to understand why these console driven games always require you to scroll to see pertinent statistics. who would ever want to see AVG, HR and RBI on the same screen.

OOTP may have some warts, but v1 was better than this game in ease of use. The current OOTP version blow this out of the water.

Now the good news, the in game experience shows a lot of promise. The cut to the chase pitch by pitch is fantastic (check out PastaPadres site he has some video)

the picture in picture take a little getting use to, but the in game interface is easy enough. I did find it bizarre that there was no option to change my lineup before the game. If their theory is you are the GM and not the manager and thus wouldn't have control over that, then why would i be able to steal, bunt, change pitchers, etc.

the graphics are good, if not quite up to 2nd gen par. I do really like the classic far press box view.

overall I believe I will enjoy playing some games out and I had enough of an interesting off-season (signing Manny Ramirez and Jeff Kent to the Giants) that I will probably make it through a season. If I was going to play a career, OOTP is a much better option.

i guess it's your money - hopefully you won't regret spending it
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #58
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post

Thanks for your impressions. I'm interested in hearing if this game can be salvaged on any level. Even if it means it's a one season manage only, game, I think it might be worth the $20 (or less used) when the price eventually comes down.

I realize the GM stuff is terribly broken, but how is the in-game experience?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #59
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The thing is, I think it's the opposite. The in-game experience is pretty bad IMHO, short of the visuals and the GM stuff actually works pretty well or at least, accurate in terms of the timing and such alike. It's too slow a simulator for me (OOTP has me drunk on speed) and the menu issues and such are too much to overcome.

These folks don't know how to make a text-sim, because they don't play them. So they skip out the details of things we'd be able to tell them and instead they stick to what they know.

Billy Beane probably told them how to be a GM, simple enough, I mean, Markus is German and he pretty much has a game that Billy Beane would probably find more accurate.

I think their ambitions were there, they just didn't have the execution because it's too far from their turf. I think I'd only play this to have a baseball game to mess around with on the PC, since I never buy them. Otherwise, it's basically a waste.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #60
Mota
College Benchwarmer

For a game that revolves around statistics and other non-action types of things, they really make it hard to access information about your players.

Trying to get my 40 Man roster in place. There's no way to sort. In any way at all. You also have NO views that show you player talent or stats, so basically you have to open up the individual pages of each player and see what their talent ratings are, then hope you remember as you promote / demote.

There's also only one path to each screen. No big deal? It is though. You're going through the rosters working on your pitching staff, then you realize you should negotiate your star player's contract. Instead of just clicking on the player and clicking "negotiate" or something like that, you have to back out of the screen, enter the payroll screen, find the player again and go in that way.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #61
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The thing is, I think it's the opposite. The in-game experience is pretty bad IMHO, short of the visuals and the GM stuff actually works pretty well or at least, accurate in terms of the timing and such alike. It's too slow a simulator for me (OOTP has me drunk on speed) and the menu issues and such are too much to overcome.

These folks don't know how to make a text-sim, because they don't play them. So they skip out the details of things we'd be able to tell them and instead they stick to what they know.

Billy Beane probably told them how to be a GM, simple enough, I mean, Markus is German and he pretty much has a game that Billy Beane would probably find more accurate.

I think their ambitions were there, they just didn't have the execution because it's too far from their turf. I think I'd only play this to have a baseball game to mess around with on the PC, since I never buy them. Otherwise, it's basically a waste.

Just to be clear, when I say "in game experience" what I'm talking about is the 9 inning game aspect of it. Do managers act realistically. Good pinch hitting, relief pitcher usage, etc.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #62
AgustusM
College Prospect

I have only played out three games so it is a little too early to tell how realistic the opp AI is. At least initially nothing was completely out of whack.

It is really amazing how little progress the industry has made considering other software growth. this game is no better and in many ways worse than Tony LaRussa Baseball of the mid 90's.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote