Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #51
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Eaglesfan27 - Yes, they can and do frequently qualify in coming months. If it's only August there's a good chance he'll qualify, and plus, I've found that when they aren't qualified bigger schools shy away from them - you might be able to take an early lead on him.

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #52
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Recruits keep trying to qualify until January 1st. At that point they are declared ineligible and will go to a JC.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the replies.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #54
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Just went through the first season as SU and the initial off-season was a blast, simming through a month at a time was fun (watching the standings and poll) and the tournaments were suspensful (made the Final 4). I think I have a good feel for the game and will be buying it. The only thing I didn't do was get much into recruiting. That looks quite involved but I wanted to move forward with the season. Thanks for doing a very well made game, HR. (and thanks for the abbrev. list).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:42 AM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Just went through the first season as SU and the initial off-season was a blast, simming through a month at a time was fun (watching the standings and poll) and the tournaments were suspensful (made the Final 4). I think I have a good feel for the game and will be buying it. The only thing I didn't do was get much into recruiting. That looks quite involved but I wanted to move forward with the season. Thanks for doing a very well made game, HR. (and thanks for the abbrev. list).

Recruiting is my favorite part of the game.

It's actually been the easiest for me to figure out in any sim. I guess it's just easier to track a few players compared to college football, ala TCY.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:53 PM   #56
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I got two excellent players who managed to finally qualify during the month of Nov. and they both committed to me at the beginning of December. My Southeastern Louisiana team is starting to look like they will turn the corner in the next year or two. I don't think there is any chance I would have gotten these guys if they hadn't had academic difficulties. Anyway, just sharing my excitement at getting into a new dynasty of this game.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:37 PM   #57
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I started my dynasty last night with the Univ. of New Hampshire with random prestige. I was very pleased to see that it was kept within the realm of possibility in not having major teams with prestige of 7 or something like that. Without conf. movements but with rising conf. prestige, I do wonder how far one can go in the America East Conf.?
Old 03-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #58
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Can someone help an ignorant person? In each of the 5 positions, can you tell me what are the key attributes (2-4?) to look for or the most important? (The AI sets the strategy and stuff)
Old 03-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Depends on what style you want to play, but generally:

C: INS/DRB/PSD Strength
PF: Same
SF: Kind of an all-around player who can play both inside or outside. You can play either a good interior or good outside playere here too as long as you adjust the game plan.
SG: INS/JPS/PRD Jumping and Quickness
PG: Handling and Quickness. Then Passing/PRD.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:07 PM   #60
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, I didn't know how the game values the attributes (as oppose to real life where the only thing that matters is INS and 3ps ). Since you helped, I'll excuse you for saying "as long as you adjust the game plan".

Last edited by Buccaneer : 03-29-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:14 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The game values all the attributes and works them together for every position seemingly. HeavyReign is probably the only one who knows exactly how they all go together. A lot of different types of players can be successful in the game, and there is no one rating to center in on for any position (with the possible exception of Handling at PG.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-29-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:18 PM   #62
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It was more of a recruiting question than a gameplay question. I know I need to recruit a couple of G so I wanted to know what I should be looking for in a recruit. I'll let my coaches decide how to use them in a game.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My Southeastern Louisiana Team just scored 100 points for the very first time with 4 players each scoring over 20. The Center has a very good inside rating of 81, the small forward has a inside of 61 and a jumpshot of 58 (and a 3pt of 55), the SG has a jumpshot of 69 and a 3pt of 65, and the PG has a inside of 64 and a jumpshot of 44, but a handling of 88 (his passing is only 31). I always overvalued passing instead of handling, but thanks to those who have been posting great tips on strategy, I'm finally doing well with a really low prestige team.

Edited to add: that small forward was the guy I went after who qualified at the last moment.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-29-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:59 PM   #64
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'm just purchased FBCB (trial ran out) and I have a question/comment. FBCB is the text-based sim I've felt like I have the LEAST control over. I think it's the kind of game it is. FOF/TCY, there are many many gameplan settings. OOTP, it's baseball, so it's all 1v1 matchups anyway. I've never done a basketball sim, so it's all new to me. I'm really not to sure how to set my settings/strategy. I've been hitting the "recommend" button and then adjusting from there.

Is there any rhyme/reason to the way any of you adjust your depth chart/team strategy/training pages? The reason I'm kind of concerned is that I won the conf. championship in year one with my mid-major Wright State Raiders, but in year two it's the most up-and-down season I've ever had on any text-sim.

Started 4-0
Then went 1-7
Currently on a 7-3 streak

This makes us 12-10 overall. Last year we were 19-13, and won the conference. I guess we did lose 3 heartbreakers in a row during the 1-7 slide. But I dunno which team of mine will show up...the team that whoops the opponent (we've had some impressive wins this year, including a 89-47 romp of Clemson) or the team that gets it hardcore (68-48 loss to VCU).

I'm also an over-tweaker in my other games (OOTP especially), but in a 30-game season, overtweaking settings is much worse than overtweaking during a 162-game baseball season. Any tips/thoughts would be appreciated.

In some ways, I'm like a super-Steinbrenner. Something goes wrong for a couple of games, and I'll make some changes. In OOTP, if a "star" has one bad month, I ship him off for someone who's doing better. Can't ship guys out in FBCB, but it'd be nice to get enough depth so I can have a solid rotation.

(End rant)
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 02:17 AM   #65
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Kingneb,

You'll get the feel for scheduling as you progress along.. I personally love to send my team out to a sure loss at a high prestige team once a year (we are talking low prestige teams being controlled). But for the most part i try to load up on mid to low prestige teams that had bad records the previous year. This strategy has gotten me around 20 wins a year at Mount St. Mary's and my first ncaa tourney appearance in 5 years from start (really should have made it in 3.. but really bad luck with conf tourney)

You'll find like any lower end school, your depth isn't going to be there, so your going to have at best 6-7 good players. When Evaluating talent.. keep an eye on the PF rating.. You cannot afford foul prone players, unless your trying to fill a 6-8th man role.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:26 AM   #66
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Thanks, I didn't know how the game values the attributes (as oppose to real life where the only thing that matters is INS and 3ps ). Since you helped, I'll excuse you for saying "as long as you adjust the game plan".

Seriously, I know how you feel about so called micromanaging, but you are totally missing out on the best part of this game. Not to pick solely on you here, but for anyone who doesn't mess with the team strategy section is missing out big time.

I feel the greatest part of this game is that it allows you to run the type of team you want. Let me give an example of a 3 year stretch in one of my dynasties:

Year 1: Loaded with senior talent, 10 players deep. I set the pace to maximum, no motion, lots of 3 pointers, tons of pressing and trapping. '40 minutes of hell' if you will. We have great success and make the Elite 8. Average scores are like 90-80

Year 2: All that talent graduated, well my starting 5 did. The freshman were too raw to use and the top 5 for that year were clearly a step below what I had last year. The AI still recommended a very up tempo game, but 3 of my first 5 games were blowout losses, so clearly a change had to be made. I knew my top 5 guys were good, but I had little depth and was weak at the 3 point shooting, so I set the pace to 0, motion to 10, medium use of three pointers, and set the scoring focus to bang it in the paint. We turned the season around and made the Elite 8 again. Average scores are like 60-50.

Year 3: We have depth now, so we pick up the tempo a bit. We struggle though and finish 19-13, getting knocked out in the first round of the tournament as a 7 seed.

That is just one example, but the one of my favorite strategies it to recruit all defensive players and play a real grind it out game of ball. Pitt Panther like basketball if you will. The game recommended setting will never give you this from what I have seen, so you have to set it on your own. It is hardly micro-managing. It takes all of 60 seconds to decide what type of game you want to play, and it is just so well done, and something that not a lot of sims do well.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 03:35 AM   #67
BishopMVP
Coordinator

My favorite strategy is probably run and gun. 10 pace, 10 pressing, 10 trapping, usually high 3-pointers. Just go out and recruit some solid perimeter players with high stealing and then add one or two guys who can rebound. Almost too effective with lesser teams (although that could be due to almost always out-recruiting the AI teams in the lower levels.) I think I'm going to try it with a Top 10/15 team and see if it can be as effective in the power conferences.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:08 PM   #68
sjshaw
lolzcat

I'd like to hear if HR thinks he can implement the suggestions in this thread.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #69
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I just have to share my excitement somewhere! I've been using the aforementioned strategy of scheduling 3 high prestige teams for my lowly team to be beat by in the hopes of improving player development and it definitely seems to be working. Also, I've gotten some surprisingly good recruits by going after guys who don't initally qualify but qualify later in the recruiting season. My latest guy (via this method) is a PF who actually made the national all-freshman team. Now, he is a very good senior (I hope he might actually be my first player to go pro from Southeastern Louisiana) and he just managed to actually lead us to a surprise upset of Illinois who was ranked 19th at the time of the game and had a prestige of 97! My prestige is a 11 (up from 3 in just two years thanks to two consecutive FBIT appearances)

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-30-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #70
korme
Go Reds

Marmel, that is Cincinnati basketball, you will soon learn that in the Big East. We used to be all defense, this year was different, but I'm sure it will be back to normal next year.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:55 AM   #71
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

THE ISOTOPES WIN A GAME!!!

That's about all I can think of now as my Wright State Raiders (of the Horizon League) just won their first game of the season over Dayton! WE BEAT MY MOST HATED TEAM!!! We are now 1-7 and on our way to another (cough) championship

I'm still looking for more tips on strategy/depth charts.

What kind of playing time do you generally set for your starters/backups?

How many defenses do you normally run? (Game always seems to recommend just one)

How many "key players" do you usually have?

I have more questions, but that's a good start. Any tips/thoughts/dance moves would be appreciated

Edit: One more question...what about scheduling? I've been scheduling some tough road&home games to start the season, but I think I'm over-scheduling. Every year my non-conf. record has been horrible. I mean, should I schedule a few tough games to improve my guys, then schedule some "cupcakes" to improve my record? Or would that hurt my RPI too much? RPI isn't an issue really at all right now, so I think next year I'm gonna just schedule a few tough ones then schedule light, to improve my record. One final note, my current season I was 2-9 in my non-conf. with a squad of 3 freshmen, 1 soph, and 1 senior.

Last edited by kingnebwsu : 03-31-2004 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 AM   #72
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu
THE ISOTOPES WIN A GAME!!!

That's about all I can think of now as my Wright State Raiders (of the Horizon League) just won their first game of the season over Dayton! WE BEAT MY MOST HATED TEAM!!! We are now 1-7 and on our way to another (cough) championship

I'm still looking for more tips on strategy/depth charts.

What kind of playing time do you generally set for your starters/backups?

Depends on the talent i have. For instance if i have 7 interchangabel guys, I have been known to set those 7 guys at 10 and the rest to 1. If I have depth, and feel comfortable with everyone playing, I set the starters around 7, and the rest between 3-6.

How many defenses do you normally run? (Game always seems to recommend just one)

I normally run just 1.

How many "key players" do you usually have?

Some years just 1, some years 3. If I think I think they can handle the last shot of a game, I'll set them.

I have more questions, but that's a good start. Any tips/thoughts/dance moves would be appreciated

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #73
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

There is the line of thought that you schedule as tough as you can to boost your RPI, but I think that only works once you've gotten to an upper-mid-major team or a lower team in a power conference. In a one-bid league, it can't help except to toughen up your team before conference play.

As for in-game strategy, I want to have all defenses available, because I want the ability to switch to something else if one defense isn't working. I also try to determine my three best scorers and assign them the "go-to" status, though last night I played an exhibition (again, still learning the game) and had one guy who wasn't tabbed with "go-to" get hot for over 20 points and 3-3 from beyond the arc (could be he had a great training camp...prior exhibitions always saw him foul out quickly).

Since I'm coaching the games, I don't worry about depth chart setups and play time. I do generally adhere to the positions the players are listed for as they seem to play better at their assigned positions, unless I need a special lineup. For instance, last night, I had a tie ball game with about ten seconds left and the other team at the line. I put in my five best scoring players (slotted to positions that best suited their heights) and told them to "use the clock" (play for the last shot). The other team missed the free throw and one of my guys got the ball at the other end, worked his way towards the basket before stepping out to the free throw line to drill the game-winner as time ran out. Saved the play-by-play and box score of that one for posterity.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM   #74
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I think this is a bug. My team just made 25 steals in one game. It's listed as the second best total ever in the league team records, but it isn't even listed in the conference term records (best is 21).

I also found it to be weird that teams out of conference were listed in the conference steals rankings because they were playing a team from the conference (Example: Looking at the SEC, OK State had 19 steals against Florida and that ranks third in the SEC). Seems like if it is the conference records, it should only me listed if a conference team made the performance, not if the record was set against them.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:16 PM   #75
Ragone
Pro Rookie

target practice.. was the game a out of conference game? that might be why its not listed in conference records.. just an idea really..
Old 03-31-2004, 05:17 PM   #76
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
I think this is a bug. My team just made 25 steals in one game. It's listed as the second best total ever in the league team records, but it isn't even listed in the conference term records (best is 21).

I also found it to be weird that teams out of conference were listed in the conference steals rankings because they were playing a team from the conference (Example: Looking at the SEC, OK State had 19 steals against Florida and that ranks third in the SEC). Seems like if it is the conference records, it should only me listed if a conference team made the performance, not if the record was set against them.

I don't think the conference and all time records get updated until the end of the season.

The other problem is definately a bug.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:23 PM   #77
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Hmm. The game appears as second in the all time league list (only played two seasons so far) so I thought it was weird that it didn't show up when I filtered it by my conference. But they have to update during the second. There is a game on the conference list where I had 18 steals this season.

Edit: Ragone, I don't think that's it. There are OOC games on the list (including the ones I mentioned where the team listed isn't even in the conference). Also, the 18 steal game was OOC.

Last edited by TargetPractice6 : 03-31-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:28 PM   #78
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Maybe your conference ruled some of your steals as fouls
Old 04-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #79
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshaw
I'd like to hear if HR thinks he can implement the suggestions in this thread.

I should be able to give you my thoughts on the feasibility most of the suggestions later today.

Quote:

I found the problem. The records set by the away team were being saved to the home team's conference. Your steals record would show up in the conference list for the team that you played when you set the record.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #80
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Ah I see now. Is it suppose to be that way or is that a bug?
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 PM   #81
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Definately a bug.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #82
sjshaw
lolzcat

Match up the developers to what they would say

A. "Definitely a bug."
B. "It's not a bug, it's a feature."
C. "It's my vision of the game."

1. Jim G.
2. HeavyReign
3. Markus
Old 04-01-2004, 10:44 PM   #83
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I am finding something that is annoying me or perhaps I don't understand. When I set my Depth Chart in Recommend, it pretty much disregards the player's position. I have a PF starting at C and a PG at SF. Is this normal? Then why does it matter what position I recruit a player at since I can play him anywhere?

Also, they are recommending a PF to start at C with:
off:5-2-4-0-5-3
def:10-2-4-4-4
phy:2-10-4-10-6-7

start at C over the following true C:
off:7-7-4-0-5-4
def:9-5-2-5-9
phy:4-4-3-10-5-8

do you see why?
Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM   #84
Buccaneer
Head Coach

dola

Also, why are my Messages disappearing after July whenever I go back into the Teams screen (either from the pull down or from loading)? I'm after training now in Nov and I have a lot of messages that appeared to have disappeared. Help?
Old 04-01-2004, 11:06 PM   #85
ahbrady
High School JV

I have the same questions about who they recommend. I usually change the lineups quite a bit from what they have recommended. I wonder, though, if that is wise for me to do. Maybe the AI knows more than I do.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:20 PM   #86
sabotai
General Manager

The AI starting a PF as a C is nothing to worry about. The PG starting for the SF, though, is a little weird. Although, I'm no basketball expert. From what I know, the SF is an all-purpose position, so if you have a PG that can fit that discription, then go for it.

Positions in basketball really are less meaningful than they are in baseball, and a lot less meaningful than they are in football.

As for your specific example, the C looks better at offense, but the PF looks a little better at defense and has a big advantage over the C in defensive rebounding (PF has a 10, C has a 4). That might be what is sending the PF over the C.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-01-2004 at 11:28 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 11:53 PM   #87
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

For the recommendations, Sabatai pretty much nailed it. The PF seems to be a better defender and rebounder so that is where the edge is likely coming from. I suspect the evaluation of the two players is fairly close though.

With the messages, certain messages are autodeleted when you run an offseason round. I went back and checked which messages are deleted and changed it so that only messages like schedule proposals or head coach offers which are only valid in the month that you receive them get deleted.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:32 AM   #88
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:38 PM   #89
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I uploaded another beta build. Here are the things I've added since the last one:

CHANGES:
*Adjusted the affects of the use clock and 3p only options so they will be more effective than before.
*Starters now have a * next to their name on the coach game screen.
*Added Stamina to the attribute listings on the roster screen.
*Added a conference filter to the recruiting rankings screen.
*Added the opponents record to the team schedule section on the roster screen.
*Added the current team records to the box score screen.
*Added an assistant coach mode on the coaching screen that will allow you to handle team strategy while the assistant handles substitutions.
*Adjusted the criteria for messages getting deleted from your inbox automatically.
*Added additional position listings to the recruiting screen.
*Added physical data to the player intros when coaching a game.

FIXES:
*Fixed a problem that prevented the coach movement histories from saving properly.
*Fixed a display issue on the coaching screen involving teams with '&' in their name.
*Fixed a bug that could cause team game records to be saved to the wrong conference for the away team.
*Fixed a bug that caused the headers over the inbox to become improperly aligned.
*Fixed a bug that caused strange rebound locations on fast break attempts.

As always, you can get it here if you want it:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB108.exe
Old 04-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #90
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Thanks HR!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:50 PM   #91
korme
Go Reds

Did you add team conference movement history yet?
Old 04-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #92
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Did you add team conference movement history yet?
Added last patch.

EDIT - Tired. But conference movement history was added last patch.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 04-02-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:33 PM   #93
korme
Go Reds

coach, conference are two different things, Bishop boy
Old 04-02-2004, 06:43 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

3rd tab down under history, Shawty
Old 04-02-2004, 06:45 PM   #95
korme
Go Reds

thanks, bischap
Old 04-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #96
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
*Added physical data to the player intros when coaching a game.

I love little things like this - will make it more like WWF.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #97
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Should I go ahead and DL the beta patch? Or is there a chance something will screw up my dynasty? I'm a worrier anytime I see the word "beta" attached to something.

Any word on when 1.08 will be official? Thanks HR!
Old 04-03-2004, 01:25 AM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Most of the last few links on here have been "beta", I've never seen nor heard about any serious problems (or even many minor problems.) Furthermore, HR does such a great job of customer support that if something gets messed up, he will do everything possible to fix it. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to download this latest build.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-03-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:51 AM   #99
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
*Added additional position listings to the recruiting screen.
This is a *VERY* big time-saver for me. For those who haven't seen it yet, you can now search for recruits by the following positions:

C
PF
SF
SG
PG
C/PF
PF/SF
SF/SG
SG/PG

This is great. I often find myself needing "a post player" or "either a big guard or small forward", and having to go through two different sorts. This solves that issue nicely.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:23 AM   #100
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I am having some trouble with the link. Well the file I get from the link. It's Icon indicates it is a compressed file, but all that happens when I click on it is a popup indicatint the fbcb108.exe is not valid win32 executable. Am I doing something silly?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote