Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #51
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not really a lifetime ban. Just stating there are requirements to play in the league. Not being a felon is one of them.

They are kind of the same thing really. But I agree with you. Perhaps a background check should be required of all new "applicants" before these guys even get drafted? And random background checks once or twice each season thereafter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.

RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #52
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
NFL is a privilege, working to earn a living is a right. I suppose if someone in pro sports is willing to "hire" Michael Vick (which the Eagles obviously have done), that is their right to do so. I don't believe, however, that Vick has the right to accept the offer and work in the NFL. I guess this is where the problem lies. Obviously, labor laws and such allow for him to work wherever he wants, but this does not make it right.

And the NFL has determined that Vick has the right to pursue this privilege. That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around here. Some of you are arguing (can't keep track of who is who here) that by virtue of the NFL being an image driven league, that Michael Vick should not be allowed to pursue work in the NFL. Yet, the NFL has determined otherwise. So is this a black eye for the NFL?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
NFL is a privilege, working to earn a living is a right. I suppose if someone in pro sports is willing to "hire" Michael Vick (which the Eagles obviously have done), that is their right to do so. I don't believe, however, that Vick has the right to accept the offer and work in the NFL. I guess this is where the problem lies. Obviously, labor laws and such allow for him to work wherever he wants, but this does not make it right.

Wait, what? Why don't you think he has the right to accept?
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #54
Autumn
Head Coach

The question, I suppose, is what is the NFL's chief purpose? Is it to field the best football sport in the world, is it to provide the best entertainment for its fans, orr is it to promote fair play and decency in its pulbic image? Obviously it's some of all of them, but the NFL has to ask what are its priorities. Clearly there is tension between them. The NFL could ban felons, as suggested, but is it then failing to provide the best sport that it could? Obviously some amount of its fan base expects them to be promoting sportsmanship and citizenship as well, but others could care less and just want to see great football.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #55
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
And the NFL has determined that Vick has the right to pursue this privilege. That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around here. Some of you are arguing (can't keep track of who is who here) that by virtue of the NFL being an image driven league, that Michael Vick should not be allowed to pursue work in the NFL. Yet, the NFL has determined otherwise. So is this a black eye for the NFL?

I do believe it is a black eye for the NFL. However, Goodell and the union have no real way of telling Vick to F-off (that I know of). They also know that tickets and merchandise will sell to the droves of brainless people who just want their football fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Wait, what? Why don't you think he has the right to accept?

As I said, the NFL is a privilege not a right. Somewhere along the line it became acceptable to expect millions of dollars to play a sport for a living. Good luck finding a job if you are the average Joe and do time in prison for dogfighting.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #56
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
As I said, the NFL is a privilege not a right. Somewhere along the line it became acceptable to expect millions of dollars to play a sport for a living. Good luck finding a job if you are the average Joe and do time in prison for dogfighting.

Dola,

Imagine answering THAT question in your job interview.

Interviewer: "so I see you did time in Leavenworth for maiming and killing dogs in a dogfighting ring. On your property too. Can you explain what happened?"

Interviewee: "uh....well........I'm not going to get the job, am I?"

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good luck finding a job if you are the average Joe and do time in prison for dogfighting.

Actually, I'd imagine it wouldn't be that much tougher than any number of other felonies. After all, people are buying the jerseys & tickets just to see this particular SOB.

You really think that deep down they'd give any bigger flying fuck about working beside someone who did the same thing? Or having them make money for them as an employee ... so they could buy more stuff to glorify Vick.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:26 PM   #58
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I do believe it is a black eye for the NFL. However, Goodell and the union have no real way of telling Vick to F-off (that I know of). They also know that tickets and merchandise will sell to the droves of brainless people who just want their football fix.

The way to change that is for the public to stop paying their money to watch Vick, or whatever other player they're upset about. The reason he gets millions of dollars is because lots of people pay lots of money to watch him. We can sit back and expect hte NFL to do something about this, and certainly they could. But they are a business, and like most other businesses, they're going to think based ontheir bottom line. If people turn away from the NFL and spend their money elsewhere, Vick will be out on the street before you know it. But in general, people don't put their money where their mouth is.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Believe it or not there are people that look at it differently than you. They choose not to care about it, believe he has been properly punished by our judicial system, or are able to forgive. It doesn't make them brainless just because they have a different view on the situation than you do.

Quote:

What it comes down to is people have a problem with Vick making a lot of money after being in prison. The average Joe would likely be able to find himself a job somewhere, but it may take him some time. Not only did Vick found himself a job and one that pays well, but he also had an employer that sought out his services. This is a problem for some. They simply want him to be lower on the totem pole than they are personally because of what he's done.

If you feel strongly about it then quit watching and supporting the NFL. Otherwise I reserve the right to lump you in the with the same brainless people you mock above.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #60
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Believe it or not there are people that look at it differently than you. They choose not to care about it, believe he has been properly punished by our judicial system, or are able to forgive. It doesn't make them brainless just because they have a different view on the situation than you do.

What it comes down to is people have a problem with Vick making a lot of money after being in prison. The average Joe would likely be able to find himself a job somewhere, but it may take him some time. Not only did Vick found himself a job and one that pays well, but he also had an employer that sought out his services. This is a problem for some. They simply want him to be lower on the totem pole than they are personally because of what he's done.

If you feel strongly about it then quit watching and supporting the NFL. Otherwise I reserve the right to lump you in the with the same brainless people you mock above.

Way to come up with a valid argument. I guess according to you I should just leave the country if I don't agree with the government, eh? This has very little to do with how much money he is making, and more to do with what he did to innocent animals. But I guess in your world that is irrelevant as long as he can play football right?

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #61
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Way to come up with a valid argument. I guess according to you I should just leave the country if I don't agree with the government, eh?
The illusion (in my opinion) is that people can change the government by voting at the polls. So if they don't agree with the government, they can go to the polls and vote new people in. I mean, you can stand on a soapbox all you want and say that the government is doing things wrong, but nothing changes until people actually take action and vote somebody else in, right?

So wouldn't it work the same with the NFL? If it bothers you that much, vote with your time and your wallet. Don't give your time and your money to the NFL, and if enough people do the same thing, things will change. What right do you or any other NFL fan have to expect the league office to behave the way you want it to? Just as if you were voting for someone else in the polls, you can do your part to initiate change by no longer supporting the NFL, but if you really want this change, wouldn't you want to take action yourself?

I refuse to state any opinion on Michael Vick's actions specifically, because I'm not really into that sort of discussion, but I'm just asking these questions in general.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #62
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The illusion (in my opinion) is that people can change the government by voting at the polls. So if they don't agree with the government, they can go to the polls and vote new people in. I mean, you can stand on a soapbox all you want and say that the government is doing things wrong, but nothing changes until people actually take action and vote somebody else in, right?

So wouldn't it work the same with the NFL? If it bothers you that much, vote with your time and your wallet. Don't give your time and your money to the NFL, and if enough people do the same thing, things will change. What right do you or any other NFL fan have to expect the league office to behave the way you want it to? Just as if you were voting for someone else in the polls, you can do your part to initiate change by no longer supporting the NFL, but if you really want this change, wouldn't you want to take action yourself?

I refuse to state any opinion on Michael Vick's actions specifically, because I'm not really into that sort of discussion, but I'm just asking these questions in general.

True. Although i might add that the fact I haven't been to an NFL game in twenty years has not had the desired effect I was hoping for. The Lions remain abysmal and Bill Parcells is still fat.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True. Although i might add that the fact I haven't been to an NFL game in twenty years has not had the desired effect I was hoping for. The Lions remain abysmal and Bill Parcells is still fat.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #64
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:

There's a lot of people at Ford Field who haven't been to an NFL game in 20 years too.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #65
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
There's a lot of people at Ford Field who haven't been to an NFL game in 20 years too.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #66
larrymcg421
Head Coach

But who says anyone is trying to change anything? I don't come on FOFC to change the world. We're having a discussion here. Some people think Vick should be let back in. Some people think he should be banned. Some people think the Eagles shouldn't have signed him. I fully respect those that don't want to wade into it, but if you are talking about it, then saying, "If it bothers you that much, then stop watching" is a pointless comment. It adds nothing to the discussion, and is a lame out for someone who doesn't really have anything left to say.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #67
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But who says anyone is trying to change anything? I don't come on FOFC to change the world. We're having a discussion here. Some people think Vick should be let back in. Some people think he should be banned. Some people think the Eagles shouldn't have signed him. I fully respect those that don't want to wade into it, but if you are talking about it, then saying, "If it bothers you that much, then stop watching" is a pointless comment. It adds nothing to the discussion, and is a lame out for someone who doesn't really have anything left to say.
I think "If it bothers you that much, then stop watching" adds just as much to the discussion as anything else. At the end of the day, you just summed up the whole discussion in a single paragraph, so no matter how much people repeat themselves in multiple threads (which doesn't bother me, although I think it's amusing), there's not much being added at this point anyway.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 08-14-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #68
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have a feeling that people are a couple of steps away from labeling me as a troll or a clown in this thread. So I guess I just want to say that I'm ready for that, although I don't agree with it.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #69
Autumn
Head Coach

(in response to Larry) True, except that part of the discussion is what the NFL and Eagles and Vick *should* do. "if it bothers you, don't watch," is in some ways an answer to that question.

Last edited by Autumn : 08-14-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #70
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a feeling that people are a couple of steps away from labeling me as a troll or a clown in this thread. So I guess I just want to say that I'm ready for that, although I don't agree with it.

No, this is a clown.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #71
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
(in response to Larry) True, except that part of the discussion is what the NFL and Eagles and Vick *should* do. "if it bothers you, don't watch," is in some ways an answer to that question.

I see it more as what the league and the Eagles should've done. I'm disappointed in what they did, and I'm expressing that. I don't expect them to do anything different now.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #72
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I see it more as what the league and the Eagles should've done. I'm disappointed in what they did, and I'm expressing that. I don't expect them to do anything different now.

Right, but there's a difference between saying what you wish somebody would do, and stating that it is your belief that they have an obligation to do a thing.

Anyway, I think Pumpy the Clown is right, we're just going in circles now. It's an interesting question, what obligations we should expect from a group like the NFL, and are they increased because of the amount of money and spotlight they receive.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #73
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
...so no matter how much people repeat themselves in multiple threads (which doesn't bother me, although I think it's amusing)...

Yeah, I am guilty. Not even sure which threads are about what anymore.

*sigh*

Quote:
Old 08-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #74
Autumn
Head Coach

This one's about clowns.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #75
cyril
Mascot

Quotes from remorseless-liar and hypocrites

here's the link, in case anyone accuses me of taking a quote out of context: Michael Vick embraces new opportunity with Philadelphia Eagles - ESPN

"For the life of me, I can't understand why I was involved in such pointless activity," Vick said. "Why did I risk so much at the pinnacle of my career?"
isn't this obvious that his only concern is his own career? Remorse where? This is the same guy who says "Football doesn't matter" in 60 minutes. Pointless activity? that's it?

"There was a point in my life where I felt it was wrong and I knew it was wrong," he said. "To this day I have to live with that shame and that embarrassment."
...while he was holding down the poor struggling dog in the pool for whatever minutes until he drowned. I can see that.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said he did serious "soul-searching" regarding Vick. The owner said he met with Vick for hours and is convinced he can become a force in stopping animal cruelty. Come On... soul searching??? The only thing he is convinced of is Vick's athletic ability.

"I needed to see a lot of self-hatred in order to approve this," Lurie said.
I don't even know what this BS means.

"There's no third chances and we know that. If it isn't fulfilled the way we expect it to be, then it will be the end," Lurie said. Guess he doesn't know Adam Jones.

Vick, who said he has no more pets, said he planned to prove he can help more animals than he has hurt.
Maybe he's telling the truth now. What animals he is referring to now? The ones in the cages or the ones outside the cages holding a whole stack of dead prez?

Last edited by cyril : 08-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #76
cyril
Mascot

Last edited by cyril : 08-14-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #77
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
But do those 10% think the other 90% is lying about how this impacts them emotionally? That's the tone I get.

This came up a little back in the orignal vick thread. Dog fighting is a "back thing", and thus its villified. People couldn't honestly be that upset about dogs. (goes the theory).

From what I understand (and take this with a grain of salt, I have probably talked to a total of five people who are in the 10%), they really do not understand. They really do not see the difference between this and hunting (a mainly white activity). I see it differently, because hunters do not beat or electrocute deer....
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #78
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

If you aren't a vegetarian or a vegan, then you can just kindly STFU with your moral outrage toward Michael Vick. It rings so hollow it hurts.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #79
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
If you aren't a vegetarian or a vegan, then you can just kindly STFU with your moral outrage toward Michael Vick. It rings so hollow it hurts.

So because I'm not a vegan I don't have the right to complain because he fights dogs for sport and kills them? Sorry Karl, I like you and you're normally on the ball, but you're way off base on this one.

I can be morally outraged about whatever i want, whether it's logical or not, for whatever criteria I want.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #80
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

So because I'm not a vegan I don't have the right to complain because he fights dogs for sport and kills them? Sorry Karl, I like you and you're normally on the ball, but you're way off base on this one.

I can be morally outraged about whatever i want, whether it's logical or not, for whatever criteria I want.

To me it's the difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
To me it's the difference between hunting for food and hunting for sport.

Ditto. Torturing dogs is much different than killing for food.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #82
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Not even in the same zip code.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #83
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Just doing a drive by on this thread, but how do you feel about hand hunting for Hogs?
If you are unfamiliar a wild boar is ran by dogs into a trap location where a "brave" hunter slits its throat or stabs it with a machete. Often taking literally dozens of hacks. This activity is perfectly legal, and we haven't even touched on the dogs that the hogs catch and maim.

I guess I am just a naive dumbass, but I really think this experience has opened Vick's eyes. I think he finally sees how big of a deal this is to the 90%, I am not sure he agrees with the 90% but I think he now finally sees how the activity is viewed by society at large.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #84
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have a question. If Rae Carruth was paroled tomorrow, should he be allowed in the league? Would you have a problem with him being on your team?
By your argument Carruth is "better" than Vick because it was one mistake vs. a pattern of behavior.

But I don't think you can make that as a blanket statement. Some single crimes are worse than a consistent pattern. To me, killing one person is much worse than killing multiple dogs. Sorry, but I think there is something wrong if you value the life of 10 animals over 1 human.

But I think you're also ignoring that it's a pattern of behavior for all of them. Leonard Little probably drove drunk all the time -- he only got caught twice. To a certain degree, Vick was the same thing. He was involved in dog fighting for a long time until the one time he got caught, then the pattern came out.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #85
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
"For the life of me, I can't understand why I was involved in such pointless activity," Vick said. "Why did I risk so much at the pinnacle of my career?"
isn't this obvious that his only concern is his own career? Remorse where? This is the same guy who says "Football doesn't matter" in 60 minutes. Pointless activity? that's it?
Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said he did serious "soul-searching" regarding Vick. The owner said he met with Vick for hours and is convinced he can become a force in stopping animal cruelty. Come On... soul searching??? The only thing he is convinced of is Vick's athletic ability.
I don't begrduge your opinion but I think you clearly would be unhappy with anything Vick said. That's fine, it's your feelings but I think it's at least fair to acknowledge that there is nothing Vick could say that would change your mind about him.

Sound like the same for Lurie. I think the Eagles have a good reputation for being straight shooters. For me, the biggest thing Vick has going for him is Tony Dungy. Dungy has a reputation of being a honest and sincere guy. He's given Vick his backing. That's pretty big.

That said, I'd have a hard time hiring Vick myself. I wouldn't necessarily want him to be part of my team. But I'll be honest -- I have a certain amount of respect for people willing to lay their reputations on the line to give someone a second chance. Let's face it, Vick's athletic ability is not enough for Lurie and Dungy to risk their reputations for him. He was an underachiever before he had been out of football for a couple of years. The chances of him hitting it big now are slim. It's a low percentage play.

In poker parlance, being in business with Vick is putting all your money in drawing to an inside straight. I don't think Lurie does that without being convinced that it's the right thing to do.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #86
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
By your argument Carruth is "better" than Vick because it was one mistake vs. a pattern of behavior.

But I don't think you can make that as a blanket statement. Some single crimes are worse than a consistent pattern. To me, killing one person is much worse than killing multiple dogs. Sorry, but I think there is something wrong if you value the life of 10 animals over 1 human.

That wasn't the only argument I made, though. I also argued intent and Carruth clearly intended to do what he did. Why are you only responding to part of my argument? You're better than that.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #87
cyril
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
I don't begrduge your opinion but I think you clearly would be unhappy with anything Vick said. That's fine, it's your feelings but I think it's at least fair to acknowledge that there is nothing Vick could say that would change your mind about him.

You are correct. There is nothing Vick could say that would change my mind about him. After seeing the complete interview on 60 minutes, I gotta asked those who watched the show: do you really believe he's remorseful? I just don't, and the interview only solidifies my belief he's putting up a show to save his career.

The only thing, as I have said earlier, that I believe he's "reformed" is too see him put his money where his mouth is. Donate half of your income to causes against animal cruelty during your entire NFL career. Talk is cheap. Rhetoric costs nothing. And fake remorses are a dime a dozen in this world.

I can't help but shaking my head when the prez of the Humane Society made a pact with the devil. Maybe the end justifies the means, if this SOB's fake remorse and plead about "love towards animals" could steer some easily-impressed kids away from animal cruelty, maybe that's enough and I should be satisfied whether or not he's a hypocrite or not.

I don't know whether I am more saddened by his getting back into NFL or the way how the majority of the population, eager to see his athletic ability, simply shoved aside the issues they claimed they stood for two years ago, and using the lame excuses of "second chances." I am sure if Vick got busted again, there would be third and fourth chances.

I admit I take this incident harder than 99% of the population. Everybody has justice issues he/she feels strongly about, this whole animal cruelty issue just happens to be someone I feel strongly about.

Last edited by cyril : 08-16-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #88
sooner333
College Starter

I would rather him just not do it again than be "remorseful." Isn't the whole point of putting him in jail just to make sure he doesn't do it again. I doubt he does it again--if he does he's a dumbass and deserves what he gets then. But, I'm not going to spend my time speculating on what someone really feels--especially someone who I don't know or particularly care that much about as a human being. I'll just be happy that his behavior has changed, and I do think he won't do it again.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #89
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I realize it's not a popular opinion to have, as everyone loves CUTE WIDDLE PUPPES! OMGZ! What about all the animals that aren't even given a chance to fight for their lives every single day? Why is that okay and this isn't? I realize that dogfighting is despicable. I would never dream of participating in it, watching it, or associating with anyone who would ever do either of those things. It's pretty hypocritical, though.

I'm not a vegetarian. I love me a good steak more than just about anything in this world (not hyperbole). Cows on a conveyor belt a la Another Brick In The Wall is something that feel rather sad about. However, before I was old enough to develop a conscience, I ate meat all the time. Some people are force fed religion by their parents. I was force fed filet mignon. It sounds rough, I know, but I haven't been able to cut meat out of my diet. It's morally reprehensible to eat as much meat as we do. I wrestle with it all the time, and am paranoid that my vegan friends all meet up and have tribunals about the meat-eating sins of heartless Karl.

What would people think of me if I just started lining up dogs and slaughtering them? When the outrage started, I'd just say, "Hey, man's gotta eat. You do this shit to all other animals, and I do it to dogs. I like how dogs taste."

So, to sum it all up: If Lassie had been about a cow, none of this would have ever happened.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #90
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wrestle with it all the time, and am paranoid that my vegan friends all meet up and have tribunals about the meat-eating sins of heartless Karl.

You probably ought to seek professional help about that. Or at least have a good steak while pondering it.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #91
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You probably ought to seek professional help about that. Or at least have a good steak while pondering it.

I have a laundry list of issues to seek professional help over. I'd get more satisfaction with the steak. Ribeye, medium rare, salt and pepper.

Just to go off on a bit of a tangent, I don't like snobs when it comes to beer, which is very hypocritical of me, as I am a complete snob when it comes to steak. I will probably not eat a steak unless I either A) cook it myself (with the lack of equipment I have, the way I do it is to put a skillet on the stove, turn up the heat to the highest level, wait till it's as hot as it can get, sear it about 90 seconds each side, then throw it into the oven, which is set to the highest temperature possible, for about 8 minutes. Sorry for the mind-boggling run-on sentence), B) Have it at a restaurant where I have it made to order (With this, I get about a 2 or 3/1 ratio of satisfactory/disappointing), or C) have someone I trust cook it. That list, at this point, is one person.

We need to make more steak threads. I could talk about steak forever.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #92
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Completely off topic, as I really don't have much more to offer about Vick or steak for that matter. I just wanted to let you know that I just checked out the whitepowerupdate link in your sig. There is some solid gold in there.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #93
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
My impression is that despite his admissions, he likely had little to do with the actual dogfighting.

You & I have been reading different things, clearly. Plenty of the documents and/or summaries I read about the case indicate a substantial amount of evidence existed proving he was quite active in all facets of the enterprise.

Quote:
We need to make more steak threads. I could talk about steak forever.

I'm pretty sure we do have one somewhere....
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #94
NewIdentity
High School JV

I have not hear yet if Vick is required by the NFL to undergo any psychological treatment for his cruelty to animals.

Generally, anytime someone take pleasure any harming animals they need some serious help. Is Vick seeing anyone?
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #95
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
I realize it's not a popular opinion to have, as everyone loves CUTE WIDDLE PUPPES! OMGZ! What about all the animals that aren't even given a chance to fight for their lives every single day? Why is that okay and this isn't? I realize that dogfighting is despicable. I would never dream of participating in it, watching it, or associating with anyone who would ever do either of those things. It's pretty hypocritical, though..

I hear you. While I assume (not actually following this closely) that dogfighting is much more cruel even than our meat industry, and it is a very deliberate, conscious cruelty, there is much to say about the unconscious cruelty we inflict on animals every day by the way we eat, and by the way our society produces food. Most of us have nothing to do with it, and those who do are doing it for the sake of the rest of us, so no one really feels culpable. But there's a big disconnect about how we feel about cruelty imposed consciously (animal abusers) and the lesser, but still significant cruelty imposed unconsciously every day to feed us (or for other reasons). What happens to animals we eat usually is not as horribly cruel as dogfighting, but there's something to be said about how casually cruel we can be to the food we eat.

All that said, I think there's still plenty of room for outrage about dogfighting, I wouldn't call it hypocritical, but I would hope most people can look and realize that we have a pretty strong double standard about which animals we truly care about.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #96
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Not sure what the interview can tell anyone. He's a sociopath and nothing he says should ever be believed.

I'm pretty sure this is the most significant post in this whole thread. He's a sociopath.

He was able to set aside his humanity to kill animals as just one component of what he chose to do as a pastime, which included the routine abuse and toture of those same innocent animals.

This was what he did to enjoy his free time.

So...What kind of sick fuck does this as a hobby? Anyone here?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #97
molson
General Manager

I think there's a pretty good chance he gets in dogfighting again. Let's not forget - he stopped because he got caught. It will be a little tougher now to invest in the business in his current financial sitaution, but it's going to be hard for him to stay completely away from his favorite hobby.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #98
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I realize it's not a popular opinion to have, as everyone loves CUTE WIDDLE PUPPES! OMGZ! What about all the animals that aren't even given a chance to fight for their lives every single day? Why is that okay and this isn't? I realize that dogfighting is despicable. I would never dream of participating in it, watching it, or associating with anyone who would ever do either of those things. It's pretty hypocritical, though.

I'm not a vegetarian. I love me a good steak more than just about anything in this world (not hyperbole). Cows on a conveyor belt a la Another Brick In The Wall is something that feel rather sad about. However, before I was old enough to develop a conscience, I ate meat all the time. Some people are force fed religion by their parents. I was force fed filet mignon. It sounds rough, I know, but I haven't been able to cut meat out of my diet. It's morally reprehensible to eat as much meat as we do. I wrestle with it all the time, and am paranoid that my vegan friends all meet up and have tribunals about the meat-eating sins of heartless Karl.

What would people think of me if I just started lining up dogs and slaughtering them? When the outrage started, I'd just say, "Hey, man's gotta eat. You do this shit to all other animals, and I do it to dogs. I like how dogs taste."

So, to sum it all up: If Lassie had been about a cow, none of this would have ever happened.

My family has a farm and we all chip in and help raise the cattle, and we butcher them and give them to the family, so no one has to pay for meat, and they are free range and all that. Is that okay?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #99
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think there's a pretty good chance he gets in dogfighting again. Let's not forget - he stopped because he got caught. It will be a little tougher now to invest in the business in his current financial sitaution, but it's going to be hard for him to stay completely away from his favorite hobby.

It's not like he's a pedophile with this hidden urge to dogfight or anything. He'll find other hobbies. I could give up painting if I had to.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #100
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
It's not like he's a pedophile with this hidden urge to dogfight or anything.

Well, it's not hidden any more at least.