Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #51
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I love it when FOFC turns judgmental.

How else are things going to turn out when someone asks for a judgement from the community?

lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #52
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Overreaction city here, I see.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #53
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Overreaction city here, I see.

I wouldn't call it an overreacction but just a clash of differing parenting styles. Sone of us coddle our kids and would never leave a 9 year old home alone. Others are fine with it. We all probably feel our parenting style is the preferred approach.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
I wouldn't call it an overreacction but just a clash of differing parenting styles. Sone of us coddle our kids and would never leave a 9 year old home alone. Others are fine with it. We all probably feel our parenting style is the preferred approach.

You would think that understanding that clash, and that it's a different in approach would have people ease up on tyketime and recognize they're not his kids parents, they don't know the kids, the parents or the general situation, and they should probably shut up and not be so judgmental.

Apparently not, though.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #55
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
We all probably feel our parenting style is the preferred approach.

I don't know if preferred is the right term here. I think we've found that there is no one right style that works all the time (regardless of what that infomercial dude will have you believe for only $199!). And for that matter, one parenting style for our older child may not necessarily be the same style for our younger.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #56
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You would think that understanding that clash, and that it's a different in approach would have people ease up on tyketime and recognize they're not his kids parents, they don't know the kids, the parents or the general situation, and they should probably shut up and not be so judgmental.

Apparently not, though.

Pretty much. This isn't a disagreement on parenting styles. This is a group of people talking down to someone as if they're an inferior parent.

Quote:
It probably normal for kids with bad parents, if that's what you're looking for.

This comment was uncalled for, 100% judgmental, and definitely an overreaction.

Last edited by Atocep : 06-12-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I don't think you ever heard me say that we weren't parenting our child full-time.

Yeah, I did.

If you're leaving your 12 year old in charge of your 9 year old so you can play in a company golf tournament (and no, in advance of a likely question from someone, it doesn't matter one bit to me if it were a "mandatory" company event) then you aren't parenting full-time. You failed to provide adequate adult supervision for a child or even adequate supervision period, which is neglect as far as I'm concerned. That ought to be your #1 priority but obviously by virtue of your own account of the events, not by anyone's imagination or extrapolation, but by your own words, it clearly isn't. Some company outing came first for not one parent but both. And that's a damned shame, one that ought to be a disgrace.

It isn't the 9 year old who needs a scare visit from police, it's you & your wife.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #58
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I don't know if preferred is the right term here. I think we've found that there is no one right style that works all the time (regardless of what that infomercial dude will have you believe for only $199!). And for that matter, one parenting style for our older child may not necessarily be the same style for our younger.

Sorry, I must have overreacted and I take it all back. You and your wife are doing a wonderful job.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #59
Atocep
Coordinator

This thread is ridiculous.

People are passing judgment on someone's ability to parent based on a couple bits of information. For this particular instance you don't know the children involved, you don't know the parents, you don't know the neighborhood, the house, the neighbors, along with a lot of other things.

I can say I was left home alone for 2 hours a day 5 days a week starting at age 9. My grandmother felt I could handle it and I never had an incident. My brother stayed with my mother and no one that knew him would have considered allowing him to stay at home at that age and I honestly wonder if my mom would let him stay at her home alone now (Not entirely joking, he wasn't allowed to stay home alone at 15).

Part of parenting is knowing what your kids can handle as far as responsibility goes. Having your child chained to your waist 24 hours a day and making sure the kid doesn't leave your sight doesn't make you a good parent. Deciding your child is responsible enough to spend an hour or 2 at home alone doesn't make you a bad parent.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #60
Autumn
Head Coach

Wow, you're right about that Ronnie.

What I find crazy is how people have come to think it's normal to be this protective of kids. Right or wrong, when I grew up even and certainly 20 years before that kids were routinely given WAY more freedom than we're talking about here. Not letting kids watch each other is a NEW thing, kids were routinely asked to take on much more responsibilty in the past, or at least expected to take care of themselves.

I know JIMGA's out of the thread, but I find it wild to think he'd question my parenting for letting a 12 year old babysit my kids. I am a stay at home dad, both of us work at home so that we can spend nearly every moment of our lives with our kids. To assume that we only parent when it's convenient to us because we make a different choice than him blows my mind, not to mention what people are saying about OP.

To get back to the OP, I wouldn't think you'd have to worry excessively about the kid. I do think it means probably he's not ready to be left alone or with his brother. As I said before, it might have been a bit scary to him or just he's not mature enough to resist temptation of doing stupid shit. But I used to prank call all the time if I was left alone as a kid, and I'm not sure a 9 year old just gets why 911 is different.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #61
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
But I used to prank call all the time

1. Do you have Prince Arthur in a can?

2. Is your refrigerator running?

Ahh... brings back some good memories doesn't it?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 PM   #62
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

3. Do you like scary movies?

Oh wait, no, I didn't do that one.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #63
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
1. Do you have Prince Arthur in a can?

2. Is your refrigerator running?

Ahh... brings back some good memories doesn't it?

If you get the wife on the telephone, "This is Rhonda's Massage Parlor, owes us quite a bit of money."
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #64
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I can't speak from parental experience, but personally, as a 9 year old, I appreciated it when my parents would sit me down and explain something to me that I was doing wrong, let me know that there would be a serious consequence if I messed up again, and basically laid it all out for me. Why I can't do whatever it was I did, etc.

I might not have liked that I couldn't do what it was I got into trouble for, but I always respected my parents wishes because they laid it all out for me and they backed it up with action if I messed up again. I would think at age 9 a kid can understand the ramifications of dialing 911 and the boy who cried wolf.

If you show youre willing to follow through with major consequences if the kid messes up again (not short time outs or anything - We're talking significant privilege stripping for an extended period) a kid will learn to do as you say, speaking from past experience as a kid. After that, the threat of such action and an explanation of why such action would be taken should be all it takes.

I have to agree with those who think its an overreaction to make wild, baseless allegations against a near complete stranger for what amounts to a question. Tyketime is obviously being very accepting of these criticisms and not being a dick about it at all, yet people just continue to point fingers when they know very little at all about the situation.

Much respect, Tyketime. Keep your cool and the people who actually want to try and help will eventually do so.. Without making personal comments.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-12-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

We are easing our 10 year old into responsibility. I can't imagine leaving the kids at home for more than a few minutes though. Certainly not for me to do something like golf.

I think it is case by case though. OP is lucky the cops didn't call child services.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #66
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I have to admit that while I was reading the original post, I thought the conclusion would involve the police taking the kids from the house.

It would be really hard for me to respond to this thread because I completely disagree with the parenting style. If I was concerned about my kid calling 911, it would be a direct conversation, and he would fully understand. If I didn't like my kid having toy guns, then I would take away the toy guns. I wouldn't need the police to "scare" my kid, I can do that all by myself.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #67
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I would think at age 9 a kid can understand the ramifications of dialing 911 and the boy who cried wolf.

This is exactly one of the scenarios we discussed with him this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Much respect, Tyketime. Keep your cool and the people who actually want to try and help will eventually do so.. Without making personal comments.

Thanks for the kind words... and for your feedback!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #68
BigDawg
H.S. Freshman Team

This happened to me I think my son was 6-7 , police came out and talked to him and also me. Not sure where your at but in my city/county the police will warn the kid and you once, if it happens again they will charge you for the call. I think it was 100 bucks but that was 11 years ago.

As for you how to handle it? you dont need to send him to some head srink.

You sit him down and explain what 911 is for to hopefully emphize what the cop told him, if its starting to become a pattern of mis behavoir your just gona have to get a bit tougher and explain your the LAW in the house and what behavior you will and will not allow. take away privlages Phone, TV, XBOX , than I would do things like make him sit in corner or do dishes ect.

but age 9 is a bit late to start that kind of thing if you been a little bit of a push over up to this point, so you might have to be a bit stricter for a while.
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #69
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, I did.

If you're leaving your 12 year old in charge of your 9 year old so you can play in a company golf tournament (and no, in advance of a likely question from someone, it doesn't matter one bit to me if it were a "mandatory" company event) then you aren't parenting full-time. You failed to provide adequate adult supervision for a child or even adequate supervision period, which is neglect as far as I'm concerned. That ought to be your #1 priority but obviously by virtue of your own account of the events, not by anyone's imagination or extrapolation, but by your own words, it clearly isn't. Some company outing came first for not one parent but both. And that's a damned shame, one that ought to be a disgrace.

It isn't the 9 year old who needs a scare visit from police, it's you & your wife.

In hate agreeing with jimg but in this case I have to.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 AM   #70
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
We are easing our 10 year old into responsibility. I can't imagine leaving the kids at home for more than a few minutes though. Certainly not for me to do something like golf.

I think it is case by case though. OP is lucky the cops didn't call child services.

If the 12-year-old was home at the time when they came, I don't see why the cops would call child services (they might not agree with it, per se, but he wasn't alone).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #71
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I can say I was left home alone for 2 hours a day 5 days a week starting at age 9. My grandmother felt I could handle it and I never had an incident.

When I was 9, I was responsible enough to be left alone during the afternoon, too. Some of the responses in this thread are pretty over the top. We either have a lot of people who were out of control when they were 9 or are smothering their children. And when I was 12-13, I babysat my little sister (5-6 at the time) as well from time to time.

Then again, my parents didn't smother me and think giving me separation anxiety was a sign of good parenting.

(Hey, everyone else is making over the top statements. I'm just contributing! )
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 AM   #72
Danny
Head Coach

My sister is 7 years younger than me, I don't remember exactly, but I am pretty sure I was left alone with her at age 12 or so (maybe a little older) which would have made her 5. I was very responsible for my age and always helped take care of my sister, so it was never a problem.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #73
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
How old do your babysitters have to be?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:47 AM   #74
DanGarion
Coordinator

Back in the real world both my parents worked in order to put a roof over our heads and food on the table, when I was 9 I was walking home from school and usually got home 15-20 minutes before my sister did (5 years older).
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #75
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Both of my parents had always worked, but my mom worked a schedule that allowed her to pick my brother and I from school until I was 10 and my brother 9, because the Catholic school we were going to was a couple miles away (and around about a huge city block) from the house. When private school became too expensive, we went to an elementary school that was right outside our neighborhood (albeit on the other side). After that, my brother and I walked to school and back every morning. Really, from that point on, we were pretty much on our own in the afternoons, usually until about 5 or 6. It was never a really big deal for us.

Of course, there was the time I was 5 or 6 and somehow whatever ride my parents had set up for me failed to come through, and I actually walked the 3-4 blocks home to my house. I was in Kindergarten, imagine that. Strangely enough, the family friend or fellow kid mom or whoever was supposed to take me home, she never told my parents about missing me, probably figured they had picked me up. If they had known, I am sure they would have freaked out.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:44 AM   #76
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I love the fact that Jon always says how he feels.

Sometimes he says it and stands out like a sore thumb.

Sometimes, like now, he says what most of us were thinking and would probably be afraid to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Dola: As I read the story I was actually wondering at what point tyketime was going to talk about how social services was coming to make a visit after the police saw what was goinig on at the house.

It's interesting how similar brothers' thoughts can be. Halfway through the story I was expecting a concerned parent wondering how bad the ramifications could be if child services was called.

We were left home alone at 12 (2 12 year olds), but leaving a 9 year old home alone for an hour seems excessive to me (someone without kids). Leaving a 12 year old to watch his 9 year old brother.. eh.. not AS bad, but...

Anyway, I would just talk to him about it. I'm not sure how much more you can do. But I wouldn't discount the rebelliousness he may feel at you for leaving him alone. I know you are getting defensive about what people are saying here, but if you took him to a psychologist don't you think this is a path the doctor would go down?

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #77
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
How else are things going to turn out when someone asks for a judgement from the community?

Well, let me just say that I'm with the unwashed masses who are pretty sure that I would have been left in similar circumstances at that age, and I turned out fine and my parents did a hell of a job. I think it's quite humorous that people here feel so good about their own morals and parenting ability that they can castigate someone and call them a bad parent after reading a short post.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #78
lungs
Pro Rookie

I guess it might be different growing up in the country, but when I was 7 years old I was running around the farm and the neighborhood by myself. Of course I had a nice big front yard that I could play ball in, and a basketball court so I never strayed too far. Wandering around the woods was pretty fun too. Of course that would probably be insane to many around here.

Ideally, even though I don't have children, I think a good parent finds a line between freedom and protection. Too much freedom will lead to out of control kids. Too much protection will lead to out of control adults when the leash is finally taken off.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #79
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm just curious why the babysitter didn't stay until the older brother got home from school?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #80
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Not a parent here, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I think people are overreacting big time, and in my opinion, it's sort of sad to see how sheltered some kids are in today's society.

I started walking home from school and being home alone when I was in 3rd grade when both of my parents were working, and I really feel like it helped me become independent. I see people my age (22) still living at home, scared to move out and wonder if it's because they were sheltered as children, and worry that in 10-15 years when these young kids grow up that they're still gonna need mommy and daddy around.

I mean, I just graduated from college, and most of the people who are getting wasted every night or getting dragged to the hospital for drinking too much were kids that openly admitted they had no freedom growing up.

Again, I don't have kids and maybe when/if I do I'll turn into a super-strict parent.

Question for those of you who are hating on tyketime....what do you think about your 9 to 12 year old kids playing outside? Do you need to be watching them constantly?

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 06-13-2009 at 08:13 AM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #81
tarcone
Coordinator

Its great to hear all the nostalgic stories about growing up and when your parents left you alone. Heck, I was the 4th of 4 and my oldest sibling was 12 years older then me and the closest was 4 1/2 year older. I spent lots of time away from my parents. Running the neighborhood, playing in the woods, riding my bike 5 miles across town to the mall. Sure, I had freedom.
BUT Society is much different then it was 30 years ago. My parents didnt have any concerns of a child molester grabbing me. Adults actually looked out for kids and protected them. So running around free was a different animal back then.
I am being overprotective of my kids. You bet. I dont want some crazy snatching my kids and me never seeing them again. Or raping them. Go online and check the registered sex offenders list. We all have them in our neighborhoods.
It is not worth it to not be protective. And being protective does not equal smothering.
And if a 9 year old is dialing 9-1-1, it is a call to Mommy and Daddy for attention.

Last edited by tarcone : 06-13-2009 at 08:48 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #82
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

when I was 7 or 8, I had a babysitter cook our hot dog dinner using toothpicks and candles. that was probably the last time I had a babysitter.

there's a lot of helpful stuff in here. But, in true FOFC fashion, devolved quickly into typical judgemental bullshit.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #83
Sgran
High School Varsity

I was a latch-key kid from age 8 or 9. I would usually just come home, change my clothes and go back down to the school yard to play football.

It turned out years later that there was a pedophile living on our street who was photographing one of the kids in my class (the most emotionally disturbed kid). I grew up in a middle-class Chicago suburb, fwiw.

I have no problem leaving my 9-year old home alone for a half-hour or so at a time. As for the OP's question: no, I don't think your kid needs therapy if he's otherwise healthy, but then again I think everyone (and I mean everyone) can benefit from sessions with a psychologist in the same way that everyone could benefit from working out with a personal trainer.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 AM   #84
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I think 9 is too young to be alone for 5 minutes for my children. However I stayed home from first grade from the time school got out til my mom got home around 8pm. And cooked dinner for both of us by age 6-7.

I a not going to tell you how to parent, but I will say that your actions, combined with your initial reactions in this post would make me re-analyze my parenting style.

Why did your son dial 911?
Have you tried sitting down and talking to him about it? Asking why? In a non attacking way. I have a feeling you might find a bunch of curiosity there.... a simple calm conversation explaining how 911 works (BTW does he often use the phone to talk to other people? He may just be trying to be like mom and dad and calling the only number he knows) maybe explain how the hone system works and explain how big the city is and how few cops there are and how if they are coming to his house they can not be protecting others.

I have a similar emotional response to this as others have said, sad. You know your kid better than us, so I wont pass judgment on a 9 year old home alone for 30 minutes. I will say that judgment combined with the immediate response to seek therapy for a minor act of rebellion or curiosity probably says a lot about your life priorities.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 AM   #85
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
BUT Society is much different then it was 30 years ago. My parents didnt have any concerns of a child molester grabbing me. Adults actually looked out for kids and protected them. So running around free was a different animal back then.

Is it really that much different? I doubt that people with a tendency to molest children as a percentage of the population has increased one bit. But thanks to things like sex offender registries we know more about them. Many cases of molestation occur between an adult and a child that know each other well anyway.

I'd say you are just as likely opening your children up to sexual predators by letting them spend time with somebody you think you know compared to letting them spend time on their own.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #86
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Not a parent here, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I think people are overreacting big time, and in my opinion, it's sort of sad to see how sheltered some kids are in today's society.

I started walking home from school and being home alone when I was in 3rd grade when both of my parents were working, and I really feel like it helped me become independent. I see people my age (22) still living at home, scared to move out and wonder if it's because they were sheltered as children, and worry that in 10-15 years when these young kids grow up that they're still gonna need mommy and daddy around.

+1, although I was in 4th grade before I stayed home alone after school with my 6 year old brother.

My wife teaches college and the stories she tells me are completely amazing. She has students that are, in some cases, 25 years old and are bringing their parents to advising sessions. She had one parent demand to see her daughter's grades every semester. I've also read stories of people bringing their parents to job interviews. I felt like a loser when my mom went to talk to my 5th grade teacher.

Obviously every child is different, and some children shouldn't be left alone no matter how old. At some point, though, they need to learn independence. They can't hide behind mommy's skirt their entire lives.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #87
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Yes, absolutely, I'm responding to what seems to be the sentiment in thread by some that there is no way they would leave a 9 year old or even a 12 year old at home alone ever. That was what I was getting from them at least.

So are you saying there is a situation where it is ok for a 9 year-old kid to be left alone? I can't fathom what that situation would be no matter how mature the kid seems, he is still 9 years old.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #88
RendeR
Coordinator

Hrm, its a touchy subject indeed. I won't declare TT a terrible parent as there are going to be times when parents a tight on time and the kids have to fend for thermselves for a short time.

However:

9, to ME, is too young to take that chance. Being outside in the yard is one thing, someone is still RIGHT there in teh house to come to their aid if needed. being 4 miles away playing golf? no, thats just asking for tragedy.

Having teh 12 yr old watch over the 9 yr old is fine, as long as you KNOW the 12 yr old is mature enough to handle him. Since the call was made AFTER the 12 yr old got home, I think TT needs to rethink how responsible his kids are and adjust accordingly.

I was left alone at young ages far more than i should have been as a kid, I got myself into serious trouble because I had no one around to teach me otherwise. I don't think this is the issue here.

Blaming the kid and talking about therapy or scare tactics is a seriously major anger point for me though. This didn't happen because the kid has issues, this happened because TT and his wife assumed the kids were ready for something they obviously were not.

Don't blame the kid for your mistake in judgement. The people who need to learn from this mistake are TT and his wife. I sincerely hope they do. Thats part of being a good parent, learning to accept your own mistakes and correct them in the future.

When I first read this thread I agreed with JiMG completely, but after taking today to really look back at my own and a lot of my friends experiences I can't be quite that judgemental. It really is based on a kid by kid basis. Some 9-12 yr olds CAN be very responsible upstanding children.

I think in this case TT and his wife need to realize their 9 yr old isn't really ready for this yet and take steps to account for him in the future.

*shrugs* its not THAT huge a problem, the kid did something wrong, the parents did something wrong. Nothing dire happened, move on and learn from it so the kids and the parents are better for the learning.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #89
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
+1, although I was in 4th grade before I stayed home alone after school with my 6 year old brother.

My wife teaches college and the stories she tells me are completely amazing. She has students that are, in some cases, 25 years old and are bringing their parents to advising sessions. She had one parent demand to see her daughter's grades every semester. I've also read stories of people bringing their parents to job interviews. I felt like a loser when my mom went to talk to my 5th grade teacher.

Obviously every child is different, and some children shouldn't be left alone no matter how old. At some point, though, they need to learn independence. They can't hide behind mommy's skirt their entire lives.

Does your wife accomodate the woman demanding to see teh grades? because I'd tell her to go talk to her daughter and get the hell out of my office. its borderline illegal to show the parent her daughter's information without the daughters permission.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #90
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Does your wife accomodate the woman demanding to see teh grades? because I'd tell her to go talk to her daughter and get the hell out of my office. its borderline illegal to show the parent her daughter's information without the daughters permission.

She didn't, because it's a violation of federal law. She told the mother that if she wanted to see her daughter's grades, that she would have to ask the daughter.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #91
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
She didn't, because it's a violation of federal law. She told the mother that if she wanted to see her daughter's grades, that she would have to ask the daughter.

Awesome, thanks for the response =) I hate nosey ass parents =)
Old 06-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #92
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Awesome, thanks for the response =) I hate nosey ass parents =)

Federal bullshit. If I'm paying $20,000+ per year for college, you'd better bet you're a$$ I'm gonna be a nosey ass parent. I want to see some grades as a return on my investment. If my kids are more interested in partying than applying themselves in school, they can get a job and "have fun" on their own dime. When they're serious about getting an education, then they can come talk to me.

I think my oldest son is finally starting to come to the conclusion that he doesn't want to be a clerk for the rest of his life.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #93
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Federal bullshit. If I'm paying $20,000+ per year for college, you'd better bet you're a$$ I'm gonna be a nosey ass parent. I want to see some grades as a return on my investment. If my kids are more interested in partying than applying themselves in school, they can get a job and "have fun" on their own dime. When they're serious about getting an education, then they can come talk to me.

I think my oldest son is finally starting to come to the conclusion that he doesn't want to be a clerk for the rest of his life.

Nobody is forcing you to pay $20,000/year for an education other than your own. I wouldn't invest in anything that would refuse to show any progress reports.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #94
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Nobody is forcing you to pay $20,000/year for an education other than your own. I wouldn't invest in anything that would refuse to show any progress reports.

That's why he's working as a clerk. After a couple of semesters of this crap, I said, "show me some grades, or I'm done paying for school."
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #95
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

My son did this a couple of years ago. He was watching a cartoon that told kids to dial 911 if they're ever in trouble.

I was in my office working. Mom was in the shower. I got a call from the police asking if everything was OK. Found a three-year-old crying in his playroom.

There wasn't even a working phone in the playroom. He had gone into storage, found one, and plugged it into the outlet. I guess hearing "what's your emergency" in a stern voice scared him and he hung up.

Kids can get into trouble very, very quickly if they're determined. A year earlier, he had managed to get a screen off his playroom window and threw most of toys into the bushes below. We were in the next room talking.

Gradually, as they get older, they need less direct supervision. You can't protect them from everything.

It's a case that every parent has to decide based on the child. My parents started leaving me alone when I was 8, when they went out for the evening. They didn't get a baby-sitter after that except when they went out of town overnight.

My little sister and I had rules, like not allowing anyone into the house. We were given money to order pizza, and told to do chores if we got bored.

I think what's happened with today's society is that we've become more judgmental and very over-protective. I don't know if OP's kids are too young to be left alone. I don't know his kids. My parents felt (and I agree) that kids don't learn responsibility until they're given responsibility.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #96
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

i think kids who cant maintain a 3.5 gpa in college should not be left alone

man yall probably all some shitty parents up in here imo etc
Old 06-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #97
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
That's why he's working as a clerk. After a couple of semesters of this crap, I said, "show me some grades, or I'm done paying for school."

Exactly. I guess from your first post it sounded like you feel you should be able to go through the school to find out his grades because you are paying for it? I don't care who is paying for it. Schools shouldn't be involved with family squabbles.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 AM   #98
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
There wasn't even a working phone in the playroom. He had gone into storage, found one, and plugged it into the outlet. I guess hearing "what's your emergency" in a stern voice scared him and he hung up.

Kids can get into trouble very, very quickly if they're determined. A year earlier, he had managed to get a screen off his playroom window and threw most of toys into the bushes below. We were in the next room talking.

Resourceful kid.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #99
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Question for those of you who are hating on tyketime....what do you think about your 9 to 12 year old kids playing outside? Do you need to be watching them constantly?

There's a big difference between 9 and 12 imo. The 12 year old watching the 9 year old doesn't bother me much, it's the 9 year old by themselves.

that being said, I wouldn't have to hover over a 9 year old constantly, but I would want them within basically eyesight of the house or with someone (older child, other parent, etc) that I trusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My parents made it pretty clear as the end of high school was approaching, either you're moving out or paying rent at 18. Needless to say, my sister and I went to Kansas and Pittsburgh for college with my parents in Houston We're just independent people but we both love mom and dad. I couldn't imagine living at home and I wouldn't wish that on my parents- they deserve to be their own people. If I had a great job waiting in Houston, that'd be excellent because I'd like to visit more often that holidays and usually another time or two a year, but we both have our own lives.

Oh, I have another fun story to "scare" the overprotective parents. Starting at around age 8 for me and 6 for my sister, we were put on a plane- the whole young children traveling alone- and flown from Corpus Christi and later Houston- to O'Hare where my grandparents would pick us up. Hell, a couple of years later, it was fly to O'Hare and then take the hour and a half long bus ride to Rockford.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote