Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #51
RainMaker
General Manager

I recently bought a BlendTec blender and make a real fruit smoothie every morning. Usually one with grapes and berries. Figured it out to be about 250 calories of pure fruit. Definitely beat my old breakfasts of sugary cereals with milk and/or a McMuffin.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #52
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I firmly believe that if everyone dropped soda consumption, this country's obesity problem would drop dramatically. It completely sucks at first if you're used to soda, but after a couple weeks, you get really used to water and start to crave it.

I still have issues with drinking water during meals so I do drink a diet Mountain Dew with dinner or some of those fruit flavored waters that have 0 calories.

I've been soda-free for nearly a week. I use the fruit flavored waters or a nice tall glass of milk with meals.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-07-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM   #53
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Strength-wise I'm in the best shape of my life so far.
Cardio is so-so.
Fat-wise, I really want to lose my chunky gut. Well, I guess not "really want" or else I'd be working on it harder. I exercise plenty, mainly rock climbing, but I can't get myself up for boring exercises.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #54
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
Strength-wise I'm in the best shape of my life so far.
Cardio is so-so.
Fat-wise, I really want to lose my chunky gut. Well, I guess not "really want" or else I'd be working on it harder. I exercise plenty, mainly rock climbing, but I can't get myself up for boring exercises.

Why not hit the pool?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #55
JS19
College Prospect

I'm totally on the "no soda" bandwagon. I drink pretty much only drink water, maybe a diet soda here and there, but if you cut out those sugar laced drinks, thats x amount of less calories per day, it adds up.

Another type for being successful is to find a gym partner. Not to say you can't do it on your own, but it helps having someone there to push and challenge you.

Another thing, what do you consider "in shape"? For example, I consider myself a gym rat and like to try all sorts of different workouts and try to get noticeable changes in my physique. I also have friends who aren't so worried about their appearance, but more so of just an overall healthy lifestyle, and they do a little cardio, a quick full body workout, stick to a relatively healthy diet and they are satisfied.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #56
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm reasonably healthy and fit. All my blood pressure, heart rate, etc numbers are perfect, and I play lots of sports and run distance.

That said, I'm kind of 'spongy'. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 190lbs. If I could drop 10-15 pounds I think I'd be pretty happy, but I have a huge sweet tooth that always undermines my active lifestyle.

I was doing really well back in November (about 182, running very good times), but then I ran into a health issue and packed on some weight over the winter (ended up at close to 200 at one point). I'm supposed to be running my first 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks, and I was just rounding into shape, but then I had surgery 2 weeks ago for the aforementioned health issue and I haven't been able to run yet. I'm hoping that I'll be able to hit the pavement a couple times before the race, and while I know I won't be hitting the goal I had set last fall (1:45), I hope to be able to finish.

That was more than anyone likely cared to read
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #57
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Any good tips/advice for newbies (including the gym) looking to start strength conditioning program? I'm short and pretty scrawny.

Core Performance | Powered by Athletes' Performance

I highly recommend this site and the programs within it. You can a coupon code for 3 weeks free from Addidas and it's about $10/month afterwards. It provides you with all the tools you need to establish a program based on specific fitness goals so you don't get sucked into the boring and repititious 3 sets and done regime. The old school weight lifting method does not seem to be the most effective method for building functional strength (to me anyway).
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #58
SFL Cat
College Starter

Been running, swimming and lifting weights. I'm in the best shape I've been in since I was in my late 20s. [Ashe voice] Anybody want some? [/Ashe voice]

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-07-2009 at 10:53 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You know, it's tough to say for me. Strictly on the numbers, I am overweight (29 BMI), at 5'7", 185 lbs. and 36 years old. I do have a gut, but it's not a big one.

So by those standards, yeah, I am overweight. But I think I am in great shape. I run about 50 miles per week and workout regularly. I have probably dropped as much as 35 lbs in the past 6 months. I have been as high as 240-250 lbs. (about 6-7 years ago), but nowadays, when I am not working out, I seem to settle around 215 lbs. and when I am regularly working out, I am usually about where I am now, under 200 lbs.

I take multivitamins and have improved my diet a little, and I don't smoke, but I'll admit otherwise, it's not an area of strength for me. I also need to add in more weight work, but I already dedicate so much time to cardio types of exercise, I'm not so inclined to spend an additional half hour to an hour on weightlifting.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #60
Danny
Head Coach

Overall, I am a little out of shape and probably 20 pounds overweight. I am 6'3 and weigh 247 or so. I am naturally a big guy and I could never weigh my ideal weight unless I stopped eating and moving all together. 220-230 is a good weight for me. I eat fairly healthy most of the time and my cholesterol was 180 when I had my last physical. I gain/keep muscle pretty easily, but I have to work really hard and keeping my weight down.

I play tennis with my wife and do strength type stuff sometimes. I used to lift more, but do enough now to keep the size and strength that I have. I am pretty strong, and fast for my size but could use some work on my cardio for sure. I hate doing cardio stuff like treadmill, running etc... I enjoy playing sports and am athletic for my size, so that's really what I need to focus on doing more.

Last edited by Danny : 06-07-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #61
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If you see me running, call 911 because something extremely scary is chasing me. And if you see me engaged in anything more strenuous than changing the disc in my son's 360 so I can play, then you know I was placed in a situation that was pretty much unavoidable. In short, I leave my chair only when I have to and then for as little time as possible. Combine those facts with a 2 1/2 pack a day cigarette habit, a 3 pot a day coffee habit, and what I would conservatively estimate as about 3 times the recommended daily allowance of fats, saturated fats, and pretty much everything else that's considered negative on a food label. I imagine that probably puts me down as a "no" for your question.

Funny thing is that my weight hasn't fluctuated by more than 5-6 pounds from my early/mid-20's to my early 40's and I'm apparently either the right weight or slightly underweight depending upon what standard you want to use (I checked here, first Google for ideal body weight that came up).

Go figure.

I think the "ideal body weight" is mostly bullshit. Most of them are way lower than what seems to be natural to me. I feel like they made those numbers back in the 70's before weight training and such.

For instance, my "ideal weight" is between 140-180 according to the site. Now I'm 6' and could probably hit 180 if I tried, but I'd feel rather skinny. If I wanted any muscle, I'd have to be like a boxer. I have broad shoulders and like to have some muscle so I think 200 is ideal for me.

Personally, I think the scale is a complete waste. Go by body fat and not by actual weight. If you can get that below 10%, you're in good shape. Keep check of other factors like heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol. But weight is just a shitty measurement. Some of us have fuller bodies, thicker bones, or retain more water. Most of your top athletes don't come close to meeting the "ideal weight" but are in peak health.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #62
Danny
Head Coach

10% is really tough to get to, I'd be happy at 15%
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #63
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
First off, I would never typically respond to this type of thread. I'd be willing to say that the majority of folks here and those who frequent any sim-sports type message board are not on the up and up as models of health. Im no exception.

My sedentary PC driven lifestyle has led to many days/weeks/months of inactivity combined with poor diet and drinks to cause a "career high" weight for myself this year.

About a month ago I said enough is enough and started doing something about it. My story is much like Hawk4669 but Im in early stages. Mid 30s, 5'9 and peaked up at 205. Even with a big frame that is too much weight and it was starting to affect my energy levels.

In the last month Ive been eating much better, and just recently running/tennis a few times a week. Nothing crazy mind you, but a few miles of run-walk and tennis for about 45min. Just the diet got me down 5lbs in the first two weeks, now with exercise Ive dropped another 5 the next two.

Currently weighing in at 195, and plan to be 192 or less by next Sunday. Been setting tiny goals to achieve by certain dates and my current one is to be 187 by June 20. Just the fact that the exercise has kicked in WITH the meal change make me think this is achievable.

I just found out my next goal which is more longterm for August 1st. There will be a mini-triathalon held here and Id like to enter. NEVER have done anything like this but my only goal is to finish. The hardest leg for me will be the 3 mile run at the finish, and I cannot run 3 miles right now without stopping to walk. Just hoping that I can run that distance by the end of this month and really think thats doable.

Its important to have goals and milestones to work towards in order to keep some perspective, but dont get discouraged and forget about the journey to the ends.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #64
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm 5'11" 155 lbs (as I said earlier), and I can't imagine how I would look at 10% or lower.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #65
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm definitely out of shape. A week and a half ago I was almost to 230, which was what I weighed about four years ago before I started working out and dieting in order to get in shape for my wedding (I made it down to 200). I've slowly started going back up over the past few years, lackadaisically dieting here and there, but not really sticking to it. But now I finally have something something to motivate me. With my wife being pregnant I've decided that I don't want to be fat and out of shape and hauling around a baby and a carrier, so 12 days ago I started dieting again. I've lost about 10 pounds so far, and I haven't even had a chance to start running yet. (Of course, my wife is mad that I've chosen now to start dieting while she's getting "fat and bloated and ugly" and I made the mistake of announcing my first weeks weight loss on Facebook...that was an argument that I don't want happening again).

Anywho, I hope to back down to 200 or below by the time baby comes in December. So far my will is strong, though working around disgustingly bad for you food every day makes it difficult.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #66
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Yeah, I agree. It's just a goal I guess. If you're under 10%, you can pretty much be at any weight you want. I'd love to get back to that point someday but just can't give up treating myself to stuff now and then. You have to be so dedicated to your diet that it can make life suck at times.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 AM   #67
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think I am in good shape for 46, but not anywhere near where I want to be. I quit lifting weights 3 years ago and despite being about the same weight (212-218 range) I have less mass, which means more fat

I now workout on the Bowflex 3 days a week and starting doing Yoga 3 days a week about a month ago. My biggest weakness is portion control and I hate doing Cardio. Even though Yoga has some Cardio aspects, it is not enough, so I think I am going to change things up bit and go to 4 days on the Bowflex (M, TU, TH, FR) 3 days Yoga M, W, F) and 2 Days Wii Fit (TU/TH) and then work only Abs on Wednesday with Yoga)

I want to have better endurance and be around 200 - 205 by the time Football practice starts. What has helped me before is writing out a menu and eating the same thing every day and of course not missing workouts when at all possible.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:58 AM   #68
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I think the "ideal body weight" is mostly bullshit. Most of them are way lower than what seems to be natural to me. I feel like they made those numbers back in the 70's before weight training and such.

For instance, my "ideal weight" is between 140-180 according to the site. Now I'm 6' and could probably hit 180 if I tried, but I'd feel rather skinny. If I wanted any muscle, I'd have to be like a boxer. I have broad shoulders and like to have some muscle so I think 200 is ideal for me.

Personally, I think the scale is a complete waste. Go by body fat and not by actual weight. If you can get that below 10%, you're in good shape. Keep check of other factors like heart rate, blood pressure, and cholesterol. But weight is just a shitty measurement. Some of us have fuller bodies, thicker bones, or retain more water. Most of your top athletes don't come close to meeting the "ideal weight" but are in peak health.

I totally agree with the ideal body weight thing, I am also 6' and back in High school I played Football at 170 - 175, then after the season I would cut weight to box at 156 and can't stand looking at pictures from that time now, I was just absurdly skinny, yet 160-180 is my "ideal" weight too. Hell even at 185 I look skinny as I dropped to that weight roughly 9 years ago for a couple of months after an illness. I think 195 -205 feels right for me and fits my body type just fine.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-08-2009 at 01:01 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 AM   #69
RainMaker
General Manager

I know a lot of people enjoy cardio, but I actually think it's one of the poorer workouts you can do with your time. Focus more on strength training that has a little cardio mixed in. Muscle will speed up your metabolism and help you burn fat much better. Cardio can actually have the negative effect of burning muscle on your body.

I do like jogging but when doing cardio-esque workouts, I try to do stairs or run hills. Swimming is also a great cardio workout that helps build muscle at the same time.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-08-2009 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #70
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been able to keep the weight off since my last concerted effort to lose weight about 15 months ago (at one point was 230ish, now around 160-165). I typically go to the gym 3 mornings a week, although that will be changing this summer with tennis and soccer starting up - I'll kill myself if I try adding the gym, too. So, I think I'm in fairly good shape. Last night at soccer practice I was surprised at how good my conditioning seemed to be.

My body fat percentage has crept back up towards 20%, so I need to do a better job with that to get it back down under 17.5%. I haven't stayed on a strict diet, so that's what is doing it. All the activity is keeping my weight steady, though.

I tried protein shakes very briefly and had a bad experience, so I gave up on them. They made me nauseated and immediately after I started them, I had some sort of stomach problem that lasted 9 days. I have no idea whether the protein shake had anything to do with it, but I'm not willing to find out a second time. But that's a long-term goal for me - get my body fat percentage down and a bit of muscle definition.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #71
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I know a lot of people enjoy cardio, but I actually think it's one of the poorer workouts you can do with your time. Focus more on strength training that has a little cardio mixed in. Muscle will speed up your metabolism and help you burn fat much better. Cardio can actually have the negative effect of burning muscle on your body.

I do like jogging but when doing cardio-esque workouts, I try to do stairs or run hills. Swimming is also a great cardio workout that helps build muscle at the same time.

There seems to be a big debate about this in a lot of peoples' minds, and when it comes down, it seems that, as always, you need to do both. Your heart also plays a big role in longevity and overall health, so unless you're doing "speed lifting" or something else to get your heart rate UP while you're lifting, lifting alone won't cut it. Neither will cardio, for the reasons you mentioned.

But I still hate lifting. I don't think I could see myself lifting more than twice a week. I do cardio that involves resistance (i.e. adding resistance and "hills" on the elliptical trainer instead of just going on the flat, low-resistance, run-like program), but some of that's because I get bored otherwise. As I said before, I like to play games with my heart rate, and in order to make my heart work where I want it to when I'm at the gym, I can't do the "flat" stuff anymore.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #72
boberot
High School Varsity

I'm just over 6' and about 178 -- which sounds great, but it's the heaviest I've ever been.

I've always been very lean, but now -- while I've added a bit of muscle with dumbbells and pushups -- I'm pretty soft around the midsection. I hate it.

I try to jog on the treadmill a few times per week [2.5 miles], but my cardio is absolute garbage these days. It's frustrating for a guy who used to play tennis, basketball, bike, etc as long as I wanted, pretty much.

I keep rationalizing that I'm 36 now, of course I'm going to get tired much more quickly, but the other part of me thinks it's a cop-out to say that.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #73
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:

From what I've been told, the key to cardio for weight loss is keeping your heart rate in the 'fat burning zone', which is something like 65% of your max heart rate (get out the calculators people!). I think most people likely push too hard when they run (myself included) and end up in the aerobic or anaerobic zones, which have lots of healthy benefits but don't tend to be great for burning fat (as they eat lots of muscle like you suggested).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #74
Sgran
High School Varsity

I'm between programs right now and feeling like a complete slob. I take short rides on my bike and lift a bit now and then, but all in all I've lost muscle tone and grown out of most of my pants. Cutting out the midweek beers is helping to keep my gut in check, but I need to decide what my workout program needs to be.
I've mentioned in another thread how good yoga has been for my back, but I need to get into some kind of cardio routine. My wife's irregular work schedule makes evening commitments difficult (like, say, going to karate). I probably just need to bite the bullet and wake up an hour earlier, but I've never managed that in my life.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:36 AM   #75
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Round is a shape...right??
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #76
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
From what I've been told, the key to cardio for weight loss is keeping your heart rate in the 'fat burning zone', which is something like 65% of your max heart rate (get out the calculators people!). I think most people likely push too hard when they run (myself included) and end up in the aerobic or anaerobic zones, which have lots of healthy benefits but don't tend to be great for burning fat (as they eat lots of muscle like you suggested).

I've heard this before but it baffles me. I'm definitely overweight but I'd say I'm in better shape than many. I weight darn near 300 lbs but can play 2 hours of basketball, up and down the court, better than most the 180-220 pound guys I play with. I can play indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, can run three miles with a minute or two of walking here and there. To look at me is to say fat slob. To play a sport with me is to wonder how in the heck someone that big can keep going.

Sadly, the best way to describe me is fat and in shape.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #77
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I've heard this before but it baffles me. I'm definitely overweight but I'd say I'm in better shape than many. I weight darn near 300 lbs but can play 2 hours of basketball, up and down the court, better than most the 180-220 pound guys I play with. I can play indoor soccer, outdoor soccer, can run three miles with a minute or two of walking here and there. To look at me is to say fat slob. To play a sport with me is to wonder how in the heck someone that big can keep going.

Sadly, the best way to describe me is fat and in shape.

But that makes sense. If you're always going hard on the court or pitch, then you'll certainly be maintaining or improving your fitness level and you probably are in decent cardiovascular shape. But likewise you won't be burning much fat.

The heart rate zone for 'fat burning' is pretty low in the context of working out. Personally I just can't keep myself in that level when running; it feels like I'm being lazy. Ideally I would mix it up between hard runs to build speed, endurance, and lung capacity, and then some slow runs to burn fat. But invariably when I try to run slow, after a few minutes I just start speeding up anyways. You don't really get that 'runners high' from a slow jog

I think this is why a lot of people feel they lose more weight by lifting than doing cardio. I believe that most people probably spend a lot of their lifting time in that 'fat burning' heart rate zone because you're pausing between reps and stuff. Of course, I hate lifting weights with a passion, so between that and my refusal to reign myself in when I run, I end up with a pretty jiggly body.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #78
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly I found out that cutting out drinking alcohol 4 nights a week has made a vast difference in my program. I was lifting and doing cardio 6 days a week and was getting stronger but noticed no gut improvement. On May 1 I cut out alcohol (well with some exceptions but not 4 days a week :-) ) and I am a different body completely. Of course now it comes down to which is preferred, a cut body or the fun of drinking. What sucks the most is I feel guilty about having beers just one night a week!!!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #79
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I don't know if I've quite hit the "I'm in shape level" but I've lost 102 lbs over the past 25 months, can run 5+ miles (not like, fast), can swim over a mile (again, not quickly) and am pretty strong.

Still some work to be done before I hit "in shape" but I'm a lot closer.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #80
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Sadly I found out that cutting out drinking alcohol 4 nights a week has made a vast difference in my program. I was lifting and doing cardio 6 days a week and was getting stronger but noticed no gut improvement. On May 1 I cut out alcohol (well with some exceptions but not 4 days a week :-) ) and I am a different body completely. Of course now it comes down to which is preferred, a cut body or the fun of drinking. What sucks the most is I feel guilty about having beers just one night a week!!!

I've never been a drinker, so I've always cringed wondering what I would have been like at my heaviest if I added on the typical college/law school drinking. I topped out somewhere around 230-235, but that was totally food and non-exercise.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #81
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
I don't know if I've quite hit the "I'm in shape level" but I've lost 102 lbs over the past 25 months, can run 5+ miles (not like, fast), can swim over a mile (again, not quickly) and am pretty strong.

Still some work to be done before I hit "in shape" but I'm a lot closer.

Nice! Grats
Old 06-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #82
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Core Performance | Powered by Athletes' Performance

I highly recommend this site and the programs within it. You can a coupon code for 3 weeks free from Addidas and it's about $10/month afterwards. It provides you with all the tools you need to establish a program based on specific fitness goals so you don't get sucked into the boring and repititious 3 sets and done regime. The old school weight lifting method does not seem to be the most effective method for building functional strength (to me anyway).

Thanks. Sounds good. Every site I've seen is a "pay for, buy our product" type.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #83
DanGarion
Coordinator

To start off, I'm a big guy, always have been, broad shoulder, barrel chested, etc. I'm 5'11" and right not I'm just a bit over 300, which really sucks ass, up till recently I've usually hovered around 275-285 which still sucked ass. Although I'm a big guy, I'm probably in better shape then most guys my age. Hell my cholesterol is low, something in the low 100s. But then cholesterol isn't entirely dependent upon exercise.

About 4-5 years ago I used to play tons of racquetball, 3-4 days a week 1-2 hours a day, but that was when I used to work nights, it was great in a matter of about 6-9 months I lost about 35 pounds and was in better shape then when I graduated high school was down to 249 pounds. I'd like to get back to that, but it's just finding the time. I don't understand how you guys find the time.

I wake up at 6 AM to get ready for work usually out the door by 7:10, then I'm at work from 8-4/5 PM. Once I get home it's time to start making dinner because neither me or my wife like to eat a late dinner (we usually go to sleep by 10 PM). If I was to work out when I got home I wouldn't be done working out and showered till nearly 7:30, which would put me eating dinner around 8:30/9 PM at night.

Anyway that's just making excuses, but I'm looking for solutions, where do you guys find the time and still get a healthy amount of sleep.

I'd be happy at about 220-230 and think for me that would just about be just right because of my body build, I have lots of muscle in the lower half of my body.

Last edited by DanGarion : 06-08-2009 at 01:40 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #84
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This is probably a good thread in which to state that during the first game of the summer Ultimate season, I sprained my ankle. Grrrr....

I made the catch, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:38 PM   #85
Galaxy
Coordinator

Slightly off-topic,

I wanted to go back to the drink thing. As I noted, it's been about a week since I quite drinking soda pop (both regular and diet). I never drunk any coffee. I really only have one or two glasses/cups/cans of an alcoholic beverage when I go out, which maybe once a month.

I'm been drinking usually the flavored water (Propel or Vitamin water) and a tall glass of milk a day. How are the teas? Green tea? White Tea? Red tea? (Both in the traditional sense and the Snapple-type).

Do you think that you really have to diet, but still watching what you eat, as long as your willing to work it off through workouts?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-08-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM   #86
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Slightly off-topic,

I wanted to go back to the drink thing. As I noted, it's been about a week since I quite drinking soda pop (both regular and diet). I never drunk any coffee. I really only have one or two glasses/cups/cans of an alcoholic beverage when I go out, which maybe once a month.

I'm been drinking usually the flavored water (Propel or Vitamin water) and a tall glass of milk a day. How are the teas? Green tea? White Tea? Red tea? (Both in the traditional sense and the Snapple-type).

Do you think that you really have to diet, but still watching what you eat, as long as your willing to work it off through workouts?
I'm a big fan of tea without any sweetener, it makes the water more palatable IMO.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #87
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
I think this is why a lot of people feel they lose more weight by lifting than doing cardio. I believe that most people probably spend a lot of their lifting time in that 'fat burning' heart rate zone because you're pausing between reps and stuff.

Another part of it is that your body has to use calories in order to repair the muscles after lifting, and if you're taking in fewer calories than you use, it'll have to take it from fat.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #88
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
This is probably a good thread in which to state that during the first game of the summer Ultimate season, I sprained my ankle. Grrrr....

I made the catch, though.

I'm taking this year off of Ultimate to watch my son while my wife plays, but our team has about 3 people already injured and they are like 4 games in. One guy went to the local sports clinic and they said that Ultimate basically keeps them in business.

I think Ultimate is the perfect sport for injuries: it has a very casual attitude, but the core of the sport is very strenuous. You get all these people playing that haven't done anything all winter, and then they are out running around non-stop on poorly maintained fields, performing cuts and jumping etc. It's just a recipe for knee and ankle injuries.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #89
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'd be careful with the Vitamin Waters. They are better than soda, but they still have a lot of sugar in them. A bottle has 125 calories and over 32 grams of sugar in it (a can of soda has 39). While it might seem like it's a lot healthier, it really isn't. They are closer to Kool-Aid than they are to water.

If you need fruit flavored drinks in your diet, I'd highly recommend a blender for smoothies. Not only do you get more vitamins from the fruit, but you also get some fiber out of it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #90
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

As much as I hate to agree with your assessment, I do (speaking to Fidatelo). I consider myself pretty lucky to "only" have suffered a sprained ankle and dislocated shoulder in the 6 years I've played so far. And I'm not a "weekend warrior". I think if I was, I'd have blown out a knee by now.

On the other hand, I've graduated to being a full-time handler, pretty much, so I run a lot less these days.

Last edited by flere-imsaho : 06-08-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #91
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
As much as I hate to agree with your assessment, I do (speaking to Fidatelo). I consider myself pretty lucky to "only" have suffered a sprained ankle and dislocated shoulder in the 6 years I've played so far. And I'm not a "weekend warrior". I think if I was, I'd have blown out a knee by now.

On the other hand, I've graduated to being a full-time handler, pretty much, so I run a lot less these days.

Isn't handler sweet? Our team the last couple seasons has been pretty inexperienced, so I did a fair amount of handling last year. If I was covering another handler on defence I would often finish a game feeling I hadn't really had much of a workout.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #92
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Funny thing is that my weight hasn't fluctuated by more than 5-6 pounds from my early/mid-20's to my early 40's and I'm apparently either the right weight or slightly underweight depending upon what standard you want to use (I checked here, first Google for ideal body weight that came up).

Go figure.

The ideal weights are ridiculous. Being the same height since sophomore year in high school, my current "ideal weight" would have me weigh less than my last two years of high school. I was in incredible shape those years, but still overweight according to those charts, with 3-4% body fat.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #93
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Isn't handler sweet? Our team the last couple seasons has been pretty inexperienced, so I did a fair amount of handling last year. If I was covering another handler on defence I would often finish a game feeling I hadn't really had much of a workout.

I usually end up feeling that I had a nice workout, but nothing like when I was a deep or a mid. I think it's helped by the fact that I play a lot more points since I'm usually the best or 2nd best handler on my team so my team wants me to play most of the points (in the leagues I'm in, most of the teams have no more than 3 really good handlers).

I've transitioned from being excited that I caught the point to being excited that I threw the winning point.

Oh well, hopefully I'll be back in before the end of the season.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #94
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:

From my own experience, it depends on what you are trying to do, as well as your body type. A few yrs ago when all I was working for was size/mass, I wasn't all too worried about diet. As you said, I would watch what I eat for the most part, but wasn't all too worried about caloric intake or how much I ate, my goal was actually to eat as much as possible. Now that was with a pretty heavy/intense lifting plan, as well as being a few yrs younger, so my body could handle it no problem. Now, after a few injuries that have limited what I can and can't do in the gym, I just stick with my natural body weight and go for strength and leanness. With what my goals are now, and noticing that my body doesn't burn off what it used to, I think that diet is extremely important.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Ultimately weight is just calories in vs calories out. So if someone wants to eat a lot and burn it off in workouts, they can do so.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #96
Ryan S
Quarterback

I am 6' and 158 pounds, and have been around this weight as long as I can remember. I don't think I have ever gone above 170.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #97
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I'd be careful with the Vitamin Waters. They are better than soda, but they still have a lot of sugar in them. A bottle has 125 calories and over 32 grams of sugar in it (a can of soda has 39). While it might seem like it's a lot healthier, it really isn't. They are closer to Kool-Aid than they are to water.

If you need fruit flavored drinks in your diet, I'd highly recommend a blender for smoothies. Not only do you get more vitamins from the fruit, but you also get some fiber out of it.

Good point. 10 calories, but 13g of sugar. I picked up a Diet Green Tea Snapple today. No calories, sugars, sodium, 20% Vitamin C. Not too bad.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #98
SFL Cat
College Starter

I've found if you mix up your routine each week, it keeps you much more interested. I've also incorporated a six weeks on, one week off. After a week off, I go back to the gymn refreshed and ready to feel the "burn" again.

I'm also trying to eat much better than I have. My goal is to get to my college weight of 190 by the end of the summer.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-08-2009 at 08:56 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #99
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

i can run a pretty good amount and ref soccer on a regular basis to help keep in shape. At one point, I was at 240 and now I am down to 215. I really would like to be around 180, but the problem is I eat like crap. I did cut out coffee and Mountain Dew out of my diet for the past two weeks, that has helped some. I just eat very poorly.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #100
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in a shape, but that probably isn't what you were looking for.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote