Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #51
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
I have no desire to get a 360. I'm not a fan of most console games and have had a lot of trouble with my original XBox (the disk is dirty error kills almost half of my games).

PC Forever!!!!

Did you by chance call Microsoft and report the problem? B/C I have NEVER had to buy the same console twice, or pay to have a console I own fixed. If there is a problem with my console(and owe the problems I've had with disk read errors and the type with the PS, PS2, and X-Box), I simply call the tech support line and tell them it is their fault my console is doing this and I know it. The proof is in the internet, that many people having the problems can't be having that problem as a result of something they are doing.

The end result? I always get my consoles fixed for free. It is a crappy system that ends up costing the makers of the console in the end, but untill they start making their systems better I will never feel bad about getting them to fix what they screwed up on the first(or in some cases the 2nd and 3rd times )

Botton line, if you still want to play your X-Box and can't, I would call Microsoft and see what they have to say. 1-800-4MY-XBOX

dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #52
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I haven't tried to plug my PC into my 42" yet. I wonder what the max screen rez will be if I did.

The graphics card will be the problem. I'm guessing you'll have to run Oblivion on medium settings or there abouts with a 6800.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:56 PM   #53
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
The graphics card will be the problem. I'm guessing you'll have to run Oblivion on medium settings or there abouts with a 6800.

Hmmm probably need the 7000' series cards for top rez now huh. It seems like just last year my card cost me $399 and was top of the line. SIGHHHHHHHHHH
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #54
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

The laptop failed the test but my ratty old desktop met near the fully recommended limit...so desktop it will be.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #55
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

My preorder should be in today after 3:00 so, interested in playing this. (need a WoW break anyways).
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #56
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

One of the ebgames may have it in stock today...checking the place out after 2.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #57
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
My preorder should be in today after 3:00 so, interested in playing this. (need a WoW break anyways).

Today?

Did you get a same day delivery?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #58
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Today?

Did you get a same day delivery?

Local Gamestop.. said they would have it today after 3:00 PM. Surprised me too since I was expecting tomorrow at the earliest.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 03-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #59
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't expect mine until tomorrow, so I expect you to write a 5 page essay about the game tonight to entertain me during the workday tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #60
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Local Gamestop.. said they would have it today after 3:00 PM. Surprised me too since I was expecting tomorrow at the earliest.

Wow... I never have that sort of luck. Maybe I should call the local EB Games to find out when they are expecting it in.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #61
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Sweet. EB had a couple copies unspoken for, and are expecting it within the hour. Got it held, picking mine up after work.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 03-20-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #62
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No luck for me. All the EB Games in my area are saying 'tomorrow'. And they say I should preorder because they'll sell out... blah, blah. I'll just head over to Best Buy tomorrow. They should have more than enough copies in stock.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #63
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I really hope Fry's Electronics is carrying it. Whoever gets it first should write a short review on it.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM   #64
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Never played the past series of this game.

Is this game non linear and very deep?

That's what these games are famous for.

/psychic

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-20-2006 at 01:35 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:35 PM   #65
jbmagic
Pro Starter

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #66
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

Check out the videos in post #1. They will answer a number of your questions.

Last edited by Antmeister : 03-20-2006 at 01:36 PM.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:29 PM   #67
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic

about as non-linear and deep as you can get. maybe a bit too much so, imo.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:34 PM   #68
Brillig
College Prospect

Someone must have this by now, where's our first impressions, dammit?
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #69
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Fighting the installer. Great.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #70
Brillig
College Prospect

Is it a tough fight? Should the installer be nerfed? Are you fighting in first person or third?
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:06 PM   #71
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

What resolution are you fighting the installer on?

Seriously thought I think The Installer would be a great name for a villain
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:25 PM   #72
Izulde
Head Coach

Though the mods for PC is damn tempting, I'll probably pick it up for the 360 instead. Hell of a lot easier for me to control and I can just chill in front of the TV then.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #73
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde
Though the mods for PC is damn tempting, I'll probably pick it up for the 360 instead. Hell of a lot easier for me to control and I can just chill in front of the TV then.

Don't do it, the mods improved Morrowind dramatically. Imagine what it can do for this game. Get the PC version. Get the PC version!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #74
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Circuit City and Best Buy are useless... they said it is coming out on Wednesday. And the Circuit City woman said the PC version is coming out on Thursday, because they changed the release date (WTF... with no one else saying that?).

I'll just go to EBGames tomorrow and see if they have a copy left.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #75
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Circuit City and Best Buy are useless... they said it is coming out on Wednesday. And the Circuit City woman said the PC version is coming out on Thursday, because they changed the release date (WTF... with no one else saying that?).

I'll just go to EBGames tomorrow and see if they have a copy left.

Best Buy Ad that came out this past Sunday says the pc version is coming out Wednesday.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #76
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

In Bethesda's defense, it was the DirectX installer that was fucking up.

Just finished the tutorial, currently wandering through the Imperial City, pondering ways I can rob it blind.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #77
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My wife picked up her copy from Gameslop today, but she probably won't start playing it until later this week (those damned busy college professors!).
Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My copy arrived tonight as the store was closing. I'll be playing by tomorrow afternoon.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:57 PM   #79
sabotai
General Manager

I preordered the collector's edition but it hasn't shipped yet. Hopefully in the next day or two.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:37 PM   #80
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, here are my first impressions on the game after about an hour messing around with it. These are pretty much the basics and I haven't gone in depth into alot of it (for example, alchemy)

The initial character design is very indepth as to what your character looks like, slider bars for just about everything - eyes, ears, nose, brows, hair, length, etc.. If you have played Fight Night and developed a character there, it is similar to that but, alot deeper plus, if you don't like to mess around with that, there is always the random button. In the initial stages you also pick your gender and race (about 8 different ones, the typicals are there from the Morrowind series and, as always, sign and class come later in the initial quest)

From there, it goes into the initial tutorial type dungeon but, the tutorial isn't that intrusive. It goes through the basics - weapon use, ranged weapon, spells, picking items up, etc but, it isn't you have to do this and then this so, it is a little more free flowing as opposed to other tutorials. After you exit out of the initial sewers/quest, you then get to pick your class (any one of what, 16ish... again, the usual Morrowind variation. Love lots of classes like the Rolemaster RPG plus, you can also customize a class but, I didn't touch that portion so, not sure what you can or can't do)

Controls are very easy to you. Right bumper for spell, right for attacks, left to block, B to pull up inventory/map/quest menus. Nice thing is the left directional can be setup for quick spell usage. Combat is pretty hack/slash, nothing really too it.. didn't see any aiming or such just face and swing.

Graphics well, they are excellent but... it seems that I'm having trouble adjusting to the lighting of the game. For me, seems like they have made the lighting a little TOO realistic an it is taking some getting used to. (Also might need to tweak my TV a bit here and there). When in the dungeon and using a torch, you get a soft light 5-10 feet around you, when outside at dusk and you turn into the sun, you get a orange/red glow in the sky and off the water. Very impressive visually but, man.. feels like I'm needing to squint sometimes. (Have to see what others have as comments)

A quantum leap in the game over the last Morrowind is the ability to quick travel to places. Dont' want to walk there? Just pull up the maps, click and boom.. you are there. Of course, if you like to hoof it, the compass will point the way. Speaking of the compass, on it you will see various points of interest (all of which I don't know what the symbols are but, they direct you towards new quests, mines, people, etc)

One other thing I've been impressed with so far is the number of trinkets that are scattered around. For example, underneath a well there were human skulls, bones, cheese, gold, weapons, lettuce (odd mixture, yes) but, each of the items could be picked up. Plus, I've seen alot of alchemy type things that can be picked and used so, seems the game is really rich from that standpoint. Go into someone's house and their bedside table may have a lamp, 2 cups a book on it and, if you aren't sure if you can just take it or not, the word 'Steal X' appears.

Well, that is about it.. any questions from my short playing time, let me know.. I haven't touched much on the radiant AI portion or quests or alot more than pretty much the basics so, not sure how much I'll be able to add.

Last edited by Mustang : 03-20-2006 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #81
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

Not true 6800 not even GTs are fine. The reprots about this game only running on the top one or two vid cards appears to have been something leaked out into the industry by the card makers. Most people are reporting the graphics are running smoothly and look very good even on lower vid cards like 6600 and ebven alittle below that.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #82
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Seems to be the case. From what I can tell people are trying to run it at 1024x768 with max settings and then declare their card to slow. Like any other PC game, you don't need max settings, tweak things.

Old 03-21-2006, 08:12 AM   #83
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
Not true 6800 not even GTs are fine. The reprots about this game only running on the top one or two vid cards appears to have been something leaked out into the industry by the card makers. Most people are reporting the graphics are running smoothly and look very good even on lower vid cards like 6600 and ebven alittle below that.

Yep, that's what I've heard as well since the release. People are reporting that a 6800 will recommend HIGH but not VERY HIGH. And I'm seeing that a 6600 is being recommended at MEDIUM. So as long as you don't need everything maxed out, it sounds like a 6800 or even a 6600 will be fine. It's good to hear that the lower-mid level cards can run the game well.

Last edited by Bee : 03-21-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:36 AM   #84
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alright, impressions after playing for a few hours and getting a little ways in the main quest.

Gameplay...if you've played any Elder Scrolls game, you know what you're getting into. Very open ended system, where you can pretty much accomplish whatever the hell you want. Complete some steps in the main quest, screw around across the whole world, whatever. As far as the main quest goes, the last Elder Scrolls game I played was Daggerfall, which I felt like I had no damn clue what to do. This one gives you a lot more direction.

Combat is a mixed bag. I'm not quite sure I'm a fan of the way it works at the moment, or maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it. It's feels very fast and out of control to me. I basically resort to swinging madly at anything in front of me, and hoping to god I can take it down. It is intuitive, however, and the combat casting system is quite cool.

Graphics. Very very pretty, though I will echo an above sentiment about the lighting being a bit extreme. It's rather difficult to see things at times. Personally, I wish the 3rd person view was more viable in the game, because I
at times feel a little overwhelmed in the 1st person view. Regardless, however, the graphics are freakin' gorgeous, and the fact that every NPC actually speaks to you is quite spiffy.

All in all, after my little gameplay, it certainly looks like it's going to be a worthwhile one. I'm actually considering starting over now that I've gotten a little ways in, now that I know exactly the skills I want to have.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #85
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Does the game do a good job in keeping all your quests that you completed and incompleted organized nicely?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #86
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

All quests are in seperate tabs of a window. Takes some getting used to to navigate the zillion different tabs. Basically, one gigantic menu system controls any and all information about your character - the trick is, all you have to go by are somewhat cryptic icons w/ no mouseover text descriptions. Kind of a pain there.

Once you get used to the way they do it, things are organized well enough. Though I still think they are out of their mind for not including text descriptions of icons.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 AM   #87
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Couple of nice little graphics type things that when you kill something, whatever it had in it's hand will be dropped. I blasted a goblin with a flare and it flew backwards while the sword and shield it was carrying flew off in different directions. Also, those arrows that you fired that missed the target can be collected as they will be laying around.

Glad it wasn't just me on the lighting thing...
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #88
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ah yes. The death effects are QUITE cool. I've killed things that have fallen over ledges, and plummeted 100 feet to their death.

Which, ironically, screwed me up once, because one corpse had a key on him I needed. Dude plummeted to the bottom of a pit, and I wound up falling as I walked down to get it...dying a gruesome death.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #89
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Only a few more hours until I can start playing this... *drool*
Old 03-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #90
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm travelling this weekend and won't be able to play it much over the next couple weeks.

Too bad they didn't release it for the PSP...hehe.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:29 AM   #91
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I just bought a 24" widescreen. I'm getting it in this Thursday, then I'm going to break it in with this game, ASAP.

Old 03-21-2006, 11:31 AM   #92
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I"m about to pick up a copy at lunch. I'm torn between the PC and XBOX 360. In the past, I haven't ever purchased an RPG game for a console over the PC. I'm a PC gamer, but the XBOX 360 is pretty sweet.

6800GT video card here, so my graphics will probably be better on the 360. I think I will go with the 360.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #93
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Isn't it ironic that now that I have to play something like this I don't have the money to buy it.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #94
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I know this question has come up before, but I can't find it with a search. Whenever, I try to install some product with the autoplay, my computer is attempting to install an update for ATI Catalyst drivers instead of the product. In this case, I'm trying to install Oblivion. I know there is a fix for this somewhere on here, such as cleaning out some files or something, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I need to do?

Temp files.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #95
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I know this question has come up before, but I can't find it with a search. Whenever, I try to install some product with the autoplay, my computer is attempting to install an update for ATI Catalyst drivers instead of the product. In this case, I'm trying to install Oblivion. I know there is a fix for this somewhere on here, such as cleaning out some files or something, but I can't find it. Anyone know what I need to do?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-21-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #96
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Damn, GrantDawg is good. Solved the problem before it was posted!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:56 PM   #97
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Best buy had stacks of all versions today. Looks like distribution did it's job with this one. I picked up the collectors edition
Old 03-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #98
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Damn, GrantDawg is good. Solved the problem before it was posted!

Actually, no

That should be the solution, but I've deleted them with Norton's program. I've deleted them with Clean Disk, yet whenever I put any disk in, it keeps trying to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #99
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Actually, no

That should be the solution, but I've deleted them with Norton's program. I've deleted them with Clean Disk, yet whenever I put any disk in, it keeps trying to install ATI's Catalyst Control Center

There is a set that are in numbered files. Those are the ones you need to remove. Let me see if I can find them.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 PM   #100
GrantDawg

Couldn't find the file. It seems like it is in a hidden folder. Where is one of the computer gurus on this?