Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

20-0 Georgia.

At this rate, UF may want to consider a new coach before this season is over.
The talent cupboard just looks incredibly bare in Gainesville on the offensive side of the ball.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
20-0 Georgia.

The talent cupboard just looks incredibly bare in Gainesville on the offensive side of the ball.

Honestly, I'm surprised that it took this result for some people to even realize this. Florida has been abysmal this year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #53
tarcone
Coordinator

Florida lived on their defense. Now its banged up. And guess what? As MBBF said, they are abysmal.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
20-0 Georgia.

The thing that is surprising is UF has signed some talent on O...they are just using it poorly.

Bud Robinson signed last year is All American caliber
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #55
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's tough seeing a Michigan team that should have known exactly what to expect play so badly. They've still in no way recovered from the Rich Rodriguez experiment. They're lucky not to be down by 30 right now.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #56
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
20-0 Georgia.

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

226 yds + 1 big play against one of the worst defenses in the SEC, if not on the eastern half of the U.S.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #58
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Holy fuck what a game between Minnesota and IU.
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #59
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Shitty way to lose.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #60
tarcone
Coordinator

What happened?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #61
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Minnesota was up 35-13 in the 3Q before their defense turned into swiss cheese. IU had the ball inside Minnesota's 10 down 39-42 with 30 seconds or so and turned it over on a lateral pass to the RB.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #62
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebraska just won on a 55 yard hail mary

Old 11-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #63
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wow, that might've topped it.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thugs will most often be thugs, doesn't matter what uniform you put 'em in nor what opportunities you give 'em. No team is immune, the question is how long allegedly mature adults will put up with it and how much they're willing to excuse it.

Honestly, watching games does as much to create a sick feeling in my stomach about the future (and current state) of the country as just about anything.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
tarcone
Coordinator

Hwy Jon, on a positive note. The current generation is expected to have a lower life expectancy then our generation. Thats a 1st in human history, Then again , that might not be a positive thing.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Hwy Jon, on a positive note. The current generation is expected to have a lower life expectancy then our generation. Thats a 1st in human history, Then again , that might not be a positive thing.

Given what I see, it's a positive thing.

Honest to goodness, it's getting hard to cheer for anybody these days for the sheer amount of pieces of crap they seem to have on their teams.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #67
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Eek the Tennessee secondary is bad. Video game bad.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #68
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Thugs will most often be thugs, doesn't matter what uniform you put 'em in nor what opportunities you give 'em. No team is immune, the question is how long allegedly mature adults will put up with it and how much they're willing to excuse it.

Honestly, watching games does as much to create a sick feeling in my stomach about the future (and current state) of the country as just about anything.

Curious what event triggered this statement. N
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #69
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Curious what event triggered this statement.

The mini-scrum at the end of the Georgia-Florida game. No shortage of just really punk ass bitches/thugs/punks/whateveryouwannacallem on display.

My initial thought (upon Gurley's little faceshove deal) was "Stay classy Georgia" ... but the larger truth was that Florida wasn't guiltless on that deal either, and that basically a fair chunk of those on the field for both teams probably have about as much business at an institute of higher learning as I do at a convent.

The ungrateful little bitch behavior at Georgia Tech sapped most of my ability to cheer for them already this year (as the others likely can't succeed w/out success by those assholes), Tennessee had the only active player caught up in the most recent pay-for-play scandal ... today was not a first time thought or feeling. I've much more at this point a fan in the abstract, I'm more inclined to root against a few teams than I have to have enthusiasm about rooting for teams particularly. That had already happened in the pros for me, it's definitely become part of the college sports experience for me and I'm even seeing it creep into my feelings on Friday nights with the HS game.

edit to add: Sorry for the length, but hey, bob DID ask after all

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-02-2013 at 08:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
bob
College Starter

Thanks - I'm at the GT game so I haven't seen anything that happened in any other games today beyond a scores.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #71
tarcone
Coordinator

Welcome to society, Jon. HS kids are told they are the greatest thing ever. Its enlarged at the college level. Then you wonder why so many Pros are broke after their careers? Its an entitlement society. Love it or hate it. Welcome to athletics.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Welcome to society, Jon.

You're probably not far off.

Sports = entertainment, afaic.
Entertainment <> being reminded of all the shit wrong with society.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #73
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
It's tough seeing a Michigan team that should have known exactly what to expect play so badly. They've still in no way recovered from the Rich Rodriguez experiment. They're lucky not to be down by 30 right now.

This is on this coaching staff. I know Hoke will stand by his guys far too long, but Borges needs to be shown the door. Two Top 10 recruiting classes and the only thing that has changed is the defense is now merely decent. The offense continues to be the same mess it was before with better WR play.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #74
Kodos
Resident Alien

Life sucks when you are a Hoosiers footballl fan. Fuck me.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #75
Kodos
Resident Alien

So fucking mad right now. Decades of shit sandwiches, and we just keep lining up for another serving. FUCK.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #76
Kodos
Resident Alien

At least Michigan fucking lost.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #77
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

I think in twenty years, it'll still be Rich's fault, at least in most Michigan fan's eyes
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #78
MrBug708
Head Coach

As a UCLA fan, I'm getting a little disappointed in Mazzone's playcalling.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #79
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I think in twenty years, it'll still be Rich's fault, at least in most Michigan fan's eyes

This should be the last year. Remember, Rodriguez didn't believe in recruiting football players. He brought that weird trainer with him - the guy who said he fought MMA, but no one knew where. They thought conditioning and speed was better than bulk and athleticism. That just doesn't play in major college football.

What was really bad about today's game is that the Spartans simply blew right through Michigan. After Lewan, there doesn't seem to be a single guy on that line who's ready for the tougher Big Ten games.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #80
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

Dude, having someone on the board in the same boat helps. I find it a little comforting knowing someone out there wants it as bad as I do.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #81
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I was surprised. The Mizzou fans were 99% classy. Good for you guys.

I don't know I've been to a game where the fans didn't rip me/us fairly constantly on the way out.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #82
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This should be the last year. Remember, Rodriguez didn't believe in recruiting football players. He brought that weird trainer with him - the guy who said he fought MMA, but no one knew where. They thought conditioning and speed was better than bulk and athleticism. That just doesn't play in major college football.

What was really bad about today's game is that the Spartans simply blew right through Michigan. After Lewan, there doesn't seem to be a single guy on that line who's ready for the tougher Big Ten games.

Hoke has been there three years. In three years Saban and Kelly were playing in a title game. Michigan can't even win their division in a lukewarm conference. The heart of the issue is the interior OL and that's all on Hoke. Michigan has far too much talent on that OL to be in the running for one of the worst Michigan OLs ever. MSU has had recruiting classes in the 30s-40s since Hoke came around, and yet that talent had no problem kicking Michigan's so called talent's tail. From where I stand apparently Michigan needs three to four Top 10 classes to be a credible team and teams like MSU and Wisconsin have no issue being the best in the conference without even a Top 20 class. A number of times they don't even pull off a Top 30 class. Hoke has had three years to build his team and so far the difference is fart too small.

FYI, RR to my knowledge still out recruited MSU every year even if the gap was mighty small in the end.

Last edited by Matthean : 11-03-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #83
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

I don't know I've been to a game where the fans didn't rip me/us fairly constantly on the way out.

I would say its probably a combination of a few factors. One is obviously the score though last weekend against USC there wasn't smack talk either. Which brings me to the second point... Tenn, Alabama, South Carolina, Florida these fans are traveling hundreds/thousand+ miles so usually the dbags don't make the trip. Don't get me wrong once a history starts developing the idiot Mizzou fans will come out of the woodwork (we ain't Nebraska fans that's for sure) but its hard to really talk a lot of shit either way without any sort of back history. Glad you didn't experience any problems I've been going to games for 25 years and never have felt the need to get in any scuffles and arguments even with Jayhawk fans. It's a game and we are not even the ones playing it!
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #84
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Mizzou fans are great fans in that they are passionate about the team, but they don't take it to the level that we've heard of at some places. Even when I had season tickets for basketball and we won against KU, it was generally good natured ribbing on the way out of the arena if anything. It was the same when I went to basketball games at Allen Fieldhouse with the KU fans. They were generally all in fun if they taunted you. People around here like to have a good laugh at the other team's expense, but they're not going to be nasty except for a couple overly-drunk idiots that you have at every sporting event.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #85
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I don't understand why Wisconsin, of all teams, is predicted to be a BCS at-large?! They're not even a top 20 team.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You think we are hicks?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #87
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
I don't understand why Wisconsin, of all teams, is predicted to be a BCS at-large?! They're not even a top 20 team.

Likely end up high enough since they will unlikely lose from here on out.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #88
Thomkal
Head Coach

#3 Coastal Carolina continued its undefeated season with a 50-25 win over Charlotte. They have scored 50+ points in six games this season and are now the #1 rated offense amongst FCS schools.

Next week they take on conference rival Charleston Southern. CSU was 2-20 the past two seasons, but are a very surprising 9-1 this season and now a ranked team themselves. They've played a much weaker schedule than Coastal this year, but played Coastal's opponent this week Charlotte a couple weeks ago and won 36-14.

CSU has almost always played Coastal hard, and on at least one occasion has been the source of heartbreak in denying Coastal a playoff spot with a win. Playing it in Charleston too so the crowd won't be too friendly. If they get through this game with a win though, only lowly conference team Presbyterian remains in their conference schedule, and then they end the season playing for the first time ever, South Carolina.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #89
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I think you might be in a for a semi-rough basketball season, too. It will be interesting to see if anybody competes against MSU for the B1G Title.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #90
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Likely end up high enough since they will unlikely lose from here on out.

This. And if you add in the fact that Wisconsin got royally screwed in their loss against ASU. Their only loss would be on the road against the #4 team in the country. Not a bad resume. A top 10 one if they got the chance to kick a field goal (extra point length nearly) against ASU.

If they win big next week against BYU the talk of them being BCS At Large should be solidified... I don't think they'll win big as BYU will be a GREAT game in my opinion.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #91
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Hoke has been there three years. In three years Saban and Kelly were playing in a title game. Michigan can't even win their division in a lukewarm conference. The heart of the issue is the interior OL and that's all on Hoke. Michigan has far too much talent on that OL to be in the running for one of the worst Michigan OLs ever. MSU has had recruiting classes in the 30s-40s since Hoke came around, and yet that talent had no problem kicking Michigan's so called talent's tail. From where I stand apparently Michigan needs three to four Top 10 classes to be a credible team and teams like MSU and Wisconsin have no issue being the best in the conference without even a Top 20 class. A number of times they don't even pull off a Top 30 class. Hoke has had three years to build his team and so far the difference is fart too small.

FYI, RR to my knowledge still out recruited MSU every year even if the gap was mighty small in the end.

Recruiting ratings are based on the sum total of recruit rankings. Rodriguez focused heavily on certain categories, where he got a lot of speed. He didn't recruit depth in the line, nor skill. Michigan is getting beat up in the line. It takes longer to develop a college lineman than other positions, so having seniors in your line is important.

Next year, Michigan will be a different team. It's still a good team, but it lends itself poorly to matchups against teams that can beat you up on the line. There are teams Michigan could beat today that might surprise us. There are also teams that could beat Michigan that would surprise us. And there's the wildcard of whether Devin Gardner will have a high-turnover game.

As talented a player as Gardner is, he is not a quick quarterback. Give him time, he'll eventually go through his progressions, or he'll run the ball effectively. MSU doesn't give you time for either.

What surprised me yesterday, in addition to trying things in the game plan repeatedly that simply don't work on a defense designed to collapse the pocket and prevent escape, was the poor pass coverage. I've never seen such an extreme example of corners consistently playing with their backs to the quarterback. That took away the underneath in man coverage, which is hard to take away, but because it was a consistent plan, MSU adjusted and started taking advantage of it.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #92
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Recruiting ratings are based on the sum total of recruit rankings. Rodriguez focused heavily on certain categories, where he got a lot of speed. He didn't recruit depth in the line, nor skill. Michigan is getting beat up in the line. It takes longer to develop a college lineman than other positions, so having seniors in your line is important.

Which was known about Rich before he left WVU for Michigan. He currently has 14 in his class of 27 at Arizona that are either DBs, WRs, RBs, or Athletes. Par for the course with him. The OLine gets more turnover (guys not making it in, quitting, transferring) than any other position group. You end up with zero depth and talent when you recruit 3 lineman per year.

What's depressing is Oliver Luck will likely be named AD of Texas sometime next week and Whit Babcock is probably the frontrunner for the WVU opening. Babcock seems like he could potentially be a great AD, but he does have strong ties to Rich and it would likely pave the way for Rich returning to WVU when Holgerson leaves.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #93
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
As a UCLA fan, I'm getting a little disappointed in Mazzone's playcalling.
I know Bruins Nation probably isn't a fair barometer of Bruins fans, but I'm curious where you and CR stand with regard to Mora. The BN folks can't wait to ship him out of town, which seems rather extreme to me - did they really think that UCLA was immediately going to turn into USC circa Pete Carroll?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #94
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nobody really cites Bruins Nation as a much of a source of anything. Dan Guerrero hired Jim Mora, so therefore Mora = bad. We could hire Nick Saban and they'd rip the hire.

Some fans are a little too "Jim Mora can do no wrong", but I think he's a good fit. Some did expect Mora to be like Pete Carroll, but it's not a perfect storm either.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #95
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Dude, having someone on the board in the same boat helps. I find it a little comforting knowing someone out there wants it as bad as I do.

I care more about IU football than any other team in any other sport. And it's not close. I want them to be good soooooooooooo badly. Every season I get my hopes up, and every season ends in despair.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #96
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post
I think you might be in a for a semi-rough basketball season, too. It will be interesting to see if anybody competes against MSU for the B1G Title.

Fully expecting a rough season in b-ball. We lost so much talent. Middle of pack in the Big Ten.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #97
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
You think we are hicks?
Hey, I was just in Troy today. Do you really want me to answer that?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #98
Poli
FOFC Survivor

What I did like was having so many Mizzou fans welcoming me to Columbia. I smiled and said thanks and then added I'm from Missouri as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #99
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I know Bruins Nation probably isn't a fair barometer of Bruins fans, but I'm curious where you and CR stand with regard to Mora. The BN folks can't wait to ship him out of town, which seems rather extreme to me - did they really think that UCLA was immediately going to turn into USC circa Pete Carroll?

If you're looking for Bruins fans to really make fun of and confirm all your assumptions about bad Bruins fans, BN is where you go, lol.

Bug has it pretty well nailed. Mora is not Pete Carroll, and I think some fans are disappointed at this point that he's not, because they came to the conclusion early on that he was. Fact of the matter is, though, he's a lot closer to Carroll than he is to UCLA coaches in the past. The whole culture of that team and that program is different now than it ever has been, even going back to the Donahue days. There is more top end talent there than ever before, and the staff is pretty much the best Westwood has seen.

There are still flaws to work out and UCLA still has a ways to go. But Mora is a very good college coach and is the right person for the job.

This next stretch of four games will be very critical, with none of them being locks for a win. @ ARI, vs WAS, vs ASU, @ USC.

If UCLA wins at least three of them and ends up the Pac 12 South champ again, the future is very bright. Recruiting will end very well, and next season could be a title contending team.

If UCLA goes 2-2 or worse, recruiting will be muddled, and this will be just a shorter step up toward success (but still very much headed up).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #100
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, BN is a pretty amusing site. There are some good SBN Pac-12 sites, but those guys are nuts.

I like Mora too, always thought he'd make a pretty good college coach. He exceeded my expectations with the staff he's assembled at UCLA (though I'd caution you guys to not expect too much out of coach Meat's guys - he's a strong recruiter, but a terrible position coach).

I think he'll do really well for you guys, and if the UW had shown any balls back in December of 2007 and fired Ty after year 3, Mora might be our coach right now.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote