Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #51
Thomkal
Head Coach

They are having a final open beta weekend that started about an hour ago if you want to check it out.

https://marvelheroes.com/?pcode=facebook2

https://marvelheroes.com/download

I tried it briefly a couple weeks ago, and didn't come off it that impressed. You get to play as one of any number of Marvel Heroes, which is a positive and a negative when compared to other superhero MMO's. The positive being of course you get to play as your favorite Marvel Hero. The negative being that there can be an infinite number of "copies" of that same hero running around-for me that didn't make feel unique. Other MMO's like City of Heroes and DC Heroes you get to create and play "you" or characters you have some level of emotional investment and interest in, so I didn't feel that immersed in the universe and setting they have created. (Plus I'm much more of a DC Heroes fan anyway)

Combat is a "action RPG" style like Diablo where basically all the bad guys in range run at you and/or attack. I have trouble playing that kind of system, and found it very "fidgety", but no doubt you won't have a problem if you are used to that kind of combat. Graphics I can't comment as I'm playing it on a older computer with lesser graphics, but seeing some youtube videos of the game, I wasn't that impressed.

Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #52
chinaski
College Prospect

downloading now!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
They are having a final open beta weekend that started about an hour ago if you want to check it out.

https://marvelheroes.com/?pcode=facebook2

https://marvelheroes.com/download

I tried it briefly a couple weeks ago, and didn't come off it that impressed. You get to play as one of any number of Marvel Heroes, which is a positive and a negative when compared to other superhero MMO's. The positive being of course you get to play as your favorite Marvel Hero. The negative being that there can be an infinite number of "copies" of that same hero running around-for me that didn't make feel unique. Other MMO's like City of Heroes and DC Heroes you get to create and play "you" or characters you have some level of emotional investment and interest in, so I didn't feel that immersed in the universe and setting they have created. (Plus I'm much more of a DC Heroes fan anyway)

Combat is a "action RPG" style like Diablo where basically all the bad guys in range run at you and/or attack. I have trouble playing that kind of system, and found it very "fidgety", but no doubt you won't have a problem if you are used to that kind of combat. Graphics I can't comment as I'm playing it on a older computer with lesser graphics, but seeing some youtube videos of the game, I wasn't that impressed.

Seems more video game than a MMO. I keep watching videos of it, but it is another one where nothing really stands out.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #54
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rift goes F2P as of June 12, making me a happy boy.

RIFT® | RIFT Free-to-Play - No trials. No tricks. No traps. | RIFT MMORPG
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #55
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

City of Steam is now live. It is browser based so from the time you sign up to playing is rather small. I only signed up and did three missions so way too early to tell. It does need voice overs though.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
Havok
College Starter

Quote:

finally.... and i will be returning. It's such a good game that just can't escape WOW's shadow.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #57
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

One of the better known professional gamers got banned in Neverwinter for reasons he's not sure about. I checked another forum that is talking about the game decently and the person who has talked about the game more than anybody there got banned as well. It appears to be dealing with hacked accounts.

The Icon tool for City of Heroes that was giving you access to the character creator now let's you go into some empty maps and move around.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #58
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ohh, nice strides there.

It's sad - I still am reminded of or have flashbacks to elements of City of Heroes on a daily basis. Not easy getting over its loss.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #59
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
One of the better known professional gamers got banned in Neverwinter for reasons he's not sure about. I checked another forum that is talking about the game decently and the person who has talked about the game more than anybody there got banned as well. It appears to be dealing with hacked accounts.

The Icon tool for City of Heroes that was giving you access to the character creator now let's you go into some empty maps and move around.

They had to shut the Neverwinter servers down over the weekend because a (large?) group found an exploit in the Astral Diamonds currency-looks like they are going to do a rollback to before the incident took place and compensate those affected and all other players too.

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up
Old 05-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #60
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

NCSoft's next prematurely shutdown MMO is looking good.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #61
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

You can get a headstart on the F2P this weekend, starting today through Monday, Rift is free. You can play all but the Storm Legion expansion souls if you don't have the expansion. However they are advertising a way to get the expansion free if you sign up for Raptr. I had already played the game so much I qualified for the expansion upon signing up for Raptr.

http://raptr.com/High_strung/news/5176e8e371abcdb7e2/rift-takes-raptr-rewards-by-storm-
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #62
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Well I signed up for Raptr, but since I didn't play Rift through Steam it doesn't know my 15 days of playtime to give me the free Storm Legion.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #63
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Dola...

Also my old shard Briarcliff is now a trial only one, so I have to pick a new one.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #64
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Well I signed up for Raptr, but since I didn't play Rift through Steam it doesn't know my 15 days of playtime to give me the free Storm Legion.

Ah well that sucks. I would say you could play it through Steam now and see if you can play enough to get Storm Legion, but probably not enough time before it goes F2P. Not sure though how much you would have to play to qualify for it.

And yeah I had to change servers too, which also sucked
Old 05-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #65
Lonnie
High School Varsity

It's telling me 13 more hours to get to experienced. I'll just leave it up and alt-tab over and walk around a bit to keep it from logging out.

Which shard did you transfer to?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #66
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
It's telling me 13 more hours to get to experienced. I'll just leave it up and alt-tab over and walk around a bit to keep it from logging out.

Which shard did you transfer to?

That might be doable if you have the free time. I forget the name of the Shard right this second...Deepwood maybe?
Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #67
Thomkal
Head Coach

These MMO's need to coordinate better I say-Neverwinter just went into Open Beta-Dragon Prophet's Open Beta starts tonight and now Rift has a free to play weekend.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #68
spleen1015
Coordinator

Anybody playing Marvel Heroes?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #69
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rift update is ready to be download and F2P starts today! Not sure if servers are up yet or not.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #70
spleen1015
Coordinator

I am very tempted to jump back into Rift. I always liked it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #71
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I am very tempted to jump back into Rift. I always liked it.

It's F2P now you might as well

Servers are not up, may be about 3 hours.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #72
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I have been playing Rift since F2P started and I'm utterly addicted to it. I haven't been able to get into any other MMO since COH started, but this one hooked me right away.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #73
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I've been thinking of signing up for Rift. Anything I need to do to be able to play with other FOFCers?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

You'd just need to be on the same shard. My main (lvl 23) is on Laethys, but I can roll a new char on any other shard.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #75
chinaski
College Prospect

Playing pretty hooked on Rift since f2p started, even dropped 50 bucks for some credits. Im Dang on Shatterbone.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #76
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

There is a spiritual successor to city of heroes that sounds like it might actually happen.

Missing Worlds Media Forums • View topic - The Phoenix Project Update: Monday, June 10, 2013

A kick starter will being in early September

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Last edited by Marmel : 06-18-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #77
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So far the only thing I don't like about the Rift F2P is not being able to sell items in the auction house. But the "Instant Adventure" feature is very cool and the easiest way to level once you hit lvl 10.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 06-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #78
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So far the only thing I don't like about the Rift F2P is not being able to sell items in the auction house. But the "Instant Adventure" feature is very cool and the easiest way to level once you hit lvl 10.

Yeah that was one of the factors in me buying credits. I think its 1500 loyalty points to sell on the AH, which I think translates into like 5 bucks worth of credit.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #79
Thomkal
Head Coach

Neverwinter has gone Live today:

Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter Free-to-Play MMO. Sign up for access!
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #80
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It is interesting to me how quickly my interest in an MMO can go from "this is neat and fun" to "this bores me, and I am never, ever going to play it again." Neverwinter was the latest 'winner' in that regard. I was having great fun for 2-3 weeks, and then at some point (relative to nothing, in game) that window closed immediately, and I have no desire to ever play it again. Go figure.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #81
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Yeah that was one of the factors in me buying credits. I think its 1500 loyalty points to sell on the AH, which I think translates into like 5 bucks worth of credit.

Yeah the $5 isn't a bad deal at all, especially since you still get to spend the credits. I bought an upgraded mount, an expensive wand for my mage, and 16 slot bags. So now I have 60 total slots, which should more than make up for the 3 bag limitation. I also rolled a new character and since there is no lvl floor for the basic mount, he gets to start off with one right away. It made the lower levels much more tolerable.

I now have Teaasa (lvl 26 Mage) and Reikar (lvl 7 Cleric) on Shatterbone.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #82
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

This may be a stupid question, but how does one see their current XP in Rift? I can see my level, but I can't figure out where I am in the process of getting the next level.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #83
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
This may be a stupid question, but how does one see their current XP in Rift? I can see my level, but I can't figure out where I am in the process of getting the next level.

Theres an option in the UI settings to show text info for xp (and other stuff). I think you can hover over the XP bar as well to see that info.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #84
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
It is interesting to me how quickly my interest in an MMO can go from "this is neat and fun" to "this bores me, and I am never, ever going to play it again." Neverwinter was the latest 'winner' in that regard. I was having great fun for 2-3 weeks, and then at some point (relative to nothing, in game) that window closed immediately, and I have no desire to ever play it again. Go figure.

Exactly happened with me with Neverwinter. I played it like crazy for a few weeks, then never played it again. I really like the game, but their f2p model didnt sit well with me, its way over the top expensive.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #85
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Theres an option in the UI settings to show text info for xp (and other stuff). I think you can hover over the XP bar as well to see that info.

Where is the XP bar? The three bars next to my picture are health, mana, and charge. I assume three has to be an XP bar, but I can't seem to find it.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #86
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Where is the XP bar? The three bars next to my picture are health, mana, and charge. I assume three has to be an XP bar, but I can't seem to find it.

Its that bluish bar above your where your skills are.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:04 PM   #87
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Its that bluish bar above your where your skills are.

Ah, thanks. I knew it would be somewhere obvious that would make me feel like an idiot.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #88
chinaski
College Prospect

Firefall is in open beta now, which is basically its release to the masses. Havent played since closed beta around 6 months ago, just fired it up and it looks really polished. If you like shooters and mmo's this is a great choice imo.
Firefall
Old 08-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #89
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well doesn't look like I will be playing Wildstar (or at least until I hear the full details about C.R.E.D.D):

Wildstar to use monthly subscription model, plus EVE style "play-to-pay" system | News | PC Gamer

Last edited by Thomkal : 08-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #90
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It sounds like the casual player who wants to pay will get a sub as where the more hardcore player will skip the sub and earn it via in game currency.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #91
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anyone in the beta for Final Fantasy XIV? I've got a buddy who's playing it non-stop, but has a real hard time describing why.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #92
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
It sounds like the casual player who wants to pay will get a sub as where the more hardcore player will skip the sub and earn it via in game currency.

Yeah that is my question really, how easy is it going to be to get CREDD, and how much will it take to get enough so you are "playing for free"?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #93
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Anyone in the beta for Final Fantasy XIV? I've got a buddy who's playing it non-stop, but has a real hard time describing why.

Once person I watch on Youtube likes it and another hated it. There's also essentially a NDA on the game despite being in open beta.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #94
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Well doesn't look like I will be playing Wildstar (or at least until I hear the full details about C.R.E.D.D):

Wildstar to use monthly subscription model, plus EVE style "play-to-pay" system | News | PC Gamer

Found out a little more about pricing-game will sell for $59.95 and sub for $14.95/month. I'm not sure what reality they are living in that they think those prices will attract people to the game.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #95
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The $60 cost will go down in a flash. I doubt the actual sub will last long. It seems like games start with a sub and months later it is F2P.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #96
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Once person I watch on Youtube likes it and another hated it. There's also essentially a NDA on the game despite being in open beta.

An NDA for an open beta? Huh.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:42 AM   #97
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
An NDA for an open beta? Huh.

You can't stream it, show pictures, etc. One of the more known gamers went on a rant about it and said he wanted to show stuff from it, but he can't.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #98
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Elder Scrolls Online also goes the subscription route:

The Elder Scrolls Online monthly subscription confirmed | News | PC Gamer
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #99
cuervo72
Head Coach

Pixie Hollow is closing Sept 19.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #100
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Pixie Hollow is closing Sept 19.

Of all the places to find this out. My girls will be very sad about this. They absolutely love that game.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote