Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #51
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Yep, I still have a copy of that one upstairs in a closet somewhere.
And you summed it up beautifully, simply horrific.

Do you think if we hired a priest to do an exorcism on that game, Jon, it'd work?

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #52
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
How did Black & White make your list? Fun little game.

Probably the most over-rated game of all time. It's the only game where I've seen multiple sites and mags actually apologize for their reviews. Great game for about 4 hours. Then it sucketh teh big 1.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 PM   #53
jbmagic
Pro Starter

total pro football

the AI, gameplans dont work well, bugs, etc

FOF is way better
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #54
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
when I paid $4000 for my brand new PII 333 machine with a 10 GB hard drive in 1999, the first game I bought was Star Wars Rebellion. For kicks, I bought the strategy guide too. Never played more than a few minutes - it was the last game I bought before reading a review...

I too will add that I liked Star Wars Rebellion. In fact, I still play it every now and then when I have an urge for something Star Wars. My only real qualm with it were the space battles sucking. I would buy it again if the one major change was to replace their engine for the space battles with something like Homeworld.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:51 PM   #55
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I dont remember the name, but the setting was a house, it was supposed to be haunted or something, something about a bunch of rooms, got it with my first computer, bored the holy hell out of me. Going on AOL and pretending to be a girl was funner.
You couldn't be referring to the excellent "Uninvited", could you?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Do you think if we hired a priest to do an exorcism on that game, Jon, it'd work?

I don't think anything could fix that disappointment, nothing at all.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #57
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I don't think anything could fix that disappointment, nothing at all.

High explosives could.

(considers)..

well.. maybe not just using high explosives on the game.

Maybe also on the person who issued the "OK to release" statement on the game as well?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #58
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
You couldn't be referring to the excellent "Uninvited", could you?

He could be talking about the 7th Guest or the 11th Hour, both were pretty bad.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM   #59
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
How did Black & White make your list? Fun little game.

The poster child for Overhyped Shit, if you ask me. Great idea, great concept, hyped beyond belief....utterly terrible in practice. Tedious and un-fun, once you get past the early stages of the game.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #60
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

World Cup Carnival !

In January 1986 the UK's largest game publisher contacted me about a game I'd just released called Mexico 86. They wanted a game to coincide with the World Cup in Mexico in June. I sent them a copy. They rejected the game with, and I quote, "This game is far too complicated for the general public". So when their game was released, called "World Cup Carnival", I bought it to find out what the UK's largest game publisher did think the public wanted.

It came in a very large box which included a teeshirt, big coloured wall posters, stickers etc. Buried in the middle was a single audio style tape holding the game. This turned out to be a thinly disguised arcade game (control a soccer player with a joystick) from about three years earlier. Everything was in black and white and it played like a dog. One magazine later voted it the "Turkey of the Year" - though not while the publisher was taking out double page advertising spreads

The really annoying thing was that it probably sold 100 games for every Mexico 86 I sold

Last edited by Mac Howard : 01-11-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #61
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Going on AOL and pretending to be a girl was funner.

oh crap. that was YOU?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #62
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires by Sierra.

It was a turn based strategy game similiar to a poor mans Civ. After about 75 turns the game became so unbearably slow that it would take hours for the computer to take its turns. A couple years ago I tried to play it with a much better computer and a patch they had, same story. Sierra has alot of stories like this unfortunately.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 PM   #63
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Sad, really.

Sierra, and even moreso Dynamix, were once Gods of the Industry (alongside the alltime great, MicroProse). Damned shame.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-11-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:23 PM   #64
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Counterstrike..

OK, so i didnt pay for it, i bought half life, but I was forced to play it for hours and horus at lan parties (not really forced..) and it was just crud. It was started by the same guy behind Action Quake 2 (gooseman) and I had high hopes but I couldnt hate a game more than counterstrike - especially what it has become...
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM   #65
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Anyone remember NFL Legends 97? The game offered you four or five eras of football (with the different rulesets, etcetera), and offered tons of teams.. Football Fans salivated. Even back then, they were trying to hype games as "The Madden-Killer"..

and then..

SPLAT.

Horrible horrible game

http://www.thecomputershow.com/compu...llegends97.htm

I remember wanting this game so much but couldn't afford it back then. It is a great concept though and I hope that someone does it right next time.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #66
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Worst game ever for me has to be Tomb Raider: AOD (THE RECENT RELEASE). Didnt have the TR feel and crap /sluggish controls and horrible camera angles.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #67
Flasch186
Coordinator

FBPRO99 .... destroyed my first iteration of the USFL....took downa whole MP league.....bad bad memories, stop the pain, NOOOOOOOOOOO

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 AM   #68
Axxon
Pro Starter

Ok, it's weird but the worst game I ever played, and one that simply has to be on this list, is one I rather enjoyed.

I'm talking about Ascendency. It was a 4x game. It looked great, it had a cool tech tree, it had neat music.

It also had the most apathetic races ever to exist in the universe. The computer players NEVER did anything. Literally. They didn't attack, fortify or even move really. Even after the "aggressive ai" patch, they still didn't attack or fortify, but at least they moved sometime. It just seemed they weren't that concerned who conquered the galaxy.

Shame too, because what you could do was fun to do but basically it was pointless.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:24 AM   #69
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Homeworld, Black & White, and yes, FBPro 99. Hell, I didn't even care for 98. I always loved 97. The interface got way too cartoony in the next incarnation(s), and I liked the clean, crisp look of previous versions.

MOO3 doesn't take my list because I bought it when they were literally giving it away (after rebate).

Warlord, I'm ashamed of you.

Actually, AM I THE ONLY FOOL THAT BOUGHT "SURVIVOR"?

I had tried to get into the habit of looking at reviews before I bought a game. In 2001, the day after I got back from 2 months at sea, I went to Best Buy and saw it. I hadn't heard of a Survivor game, but I really wasn't looking since I was at sea for so long. I bought the game despite trying to talk myself into waiting.

I tried, and tried, and tried to make that game work for me. It worked incredibly slow. And then, finally, my computer had enough. I still believe "Survivor" fried my hard drive. This game was so rediculous and retarded that my hard drive had enough. The hard drive committed suicide rather than put up with that crappy game anymore.

Lesson learned. I have yet to buy a video game without glowing reviews, and still, I've been disappointed a few times.

Last edited by Poli : 01-12-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #70
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast

I had tried to get into the habit of looking at reviews before I bought a game. In 2001, the day after I got back from 2 months at sea, I went to Best Buy and saw it. I hadn't heard of a Survivor game, but I really wasn't looking since I was at sea for so long. I bought the game despite trying to talk myself into waiting.

I tried, and tried, and tried to make that game work for me. It worked incredibly slow. And then, finally, my computer had enough. I still believe "Survivor" fried my hard drive. This game was so rediculous and retarded that my hard drive had enough. The hard drive committed suicide rather than put up with that crappy game anymore.

Lesson learned. I have yet to buy a video game without glowing reviews, and still, I've been disappointed a few times.

I bought it for a dollar at the dollar tree, tried to play it for 5 minutes, and then had to discard it. Absolute garbage.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:16 AM   #71
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I have been a victim of nearly every horse racing game ever made, and most of them have gotten about an hour of play from me before I completely chucked them. One that was released with the Daily Racing Form insignia (I'm a sucker) was probably the worst of the lot.

The name of the game was simply enough "Horse Racing." It might have been "daily Racing Form - Horse Racing" because the name Horse Racing was under the logo but it didn't seem to me that the logo was part of the name.

Anyway, I can't call it the worst game I've ever played but it is one I've played the shortest. The first thing I do is go to buy a horse and on the last page of the horse list, totally unowned is a horse who is of championship calibre. I bought her ( I think ) for a song hoping I was seeing her through a scouts eye view but nope, she was the real deal. Totally disappointing.

I restarted, hoping that there was some randomness or something but nope, there she was, same attributes and all. I closed the program never to play it again.

Being only a casual fan I think the game could have entertained me if they'd put a little work into it but all the joy was literally sucked out of the game when I ran into that horse.

I have always wondered if it was an oversight or if they slipped that in to make the nongamer horse racing fans eager to keep playing since they'd have a super horse right away. That could be it but I'm sticking with the former.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:18 AM   #72
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I bought it for a dollar at the dollar tree, tried to play it for 5 minutes, and then had to discard it. Absolute garbage.
A dollar!!!! My brother bought it when it first came out at 29.99.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:53 AM   #73
gi
College Prospect

I'm going to go out on a limb here and put down Doom III. While the engine looked great the actual gameplay really turned me off. Once I had a comparison with Half-life 2, I really saw the flaws in Doom 3. The thing that got me the most was teleporting mobs right behind you all the time. You couldn't even hear them. Come on! part of the fun of the past two dooms was hearing them slowly come up on you. Now sometimes teleporting mobs on you is great, but the extent that Doom 3 did was just not fun.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:23 AM   #74
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi
I'm going to go out on a limb here and put down Doom III. While the engine looked great the actual gameplay really turned me off. Once I had a comparison with Half-life 2, I really saw the flaws in Doom 3. The thing that got me the most was teleporting mobs right behind you all the time. You couldn't even hear them. Come on! part of the fun of the past two dooms was hearing them slowly come up on you. Now sometimes teleporting mobs on you is great, but the extent that Doom 3 did was just not fun.

Now while I'm sure that you have your reasons for not liking Doom 3, I have a difficult time imagining that is the worst game you ever purchased.

I almost forgot about Lionheart. While not in my top 5 worst games, it may be in the top 10 most disappointing.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #75
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone remember NFL Legends 97? The game offered you four or five eras of football (with the different rulesets, etcetera), and offered tons of teams.. Football Fans salivated. Even back then, they were trying to hype games as "The Madden-Killer"..

and then..

SPLAT.

Horrible horrible game

http://www.thecomputershow.com/compu...llegends97.htm

I second that. I still have all the games and programs that I've ever purchased. I threw this mofo away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #76
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Now while I'm sure that you have your reasons for not liking Doom 3, I have a difficult time imagining that is the worst game you ever purchased.

I almost forgot about Lionheart. While not in my top 5 worst games, it may be in the top 10 most disappointing.

For the amount of money that was spent on it and the amount of enjoyment I got out of it, I would say it is up there as far as worst games I have purchased. It might not be one of the worse games, but just one I have purchased.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 AM   #77
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Total Control Football

It was 1997 and it was the first football management game I had ever seen. I bought it, but it had too many bugs...even with the patch things did not improve that much. It was a good idea, though. If a few more patches had come out, it might have been great...but they abandoned it.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:39 AM   #78
korme
Go Reds

I had TCF, and I was really young, I'm talking when Favre was just winning a SB. I never noticed how crappy the results were, but I had fun with it, it's basically how I started to get to know all of the players.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 AM   #79
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
I had TCF, and I was really young, I'm talking when Favre was just winning a SB. I never noticed how crappy the results were, but I had fun with it, it's basically how I started to get to know all of the players.
not a knock on you Shorty, but before anybody else says it, I'll say that I bet you were really young in 1997

Earlier I remember me playing a football game on my PC was on my AT and it was that XOR NFL Challenge or something, the thing that had X's and O's simulating the plays... Oh and I was 16 or 17, a long time ago...

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 01-12-2005 at 10:47 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #80
Warhammer
Pro Starter

NFL Challenge! Great game! I loved that as a kid. I always wished there was a way to edit or change the plays. Anyway, I still remember when I was 10 or 12 I figured out how to edit the teams, so my buddy and I threw all the players into a pool, and drafted two teams. One replaced the Colts and the other the Saints. Great fun!

I had Montana backed up by Marino.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #81
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
NFL Challenge! Great game! I loved that as a kid. I always wished there was a way to edit or change the plays. Anyway, I still remember when I was 10 or 12 I figured out how to edit the teams, so my buddy and I threw all the players into a pool, and drafted two teams. One replaced the Colts and the other the Saints. Great fun!

I had Montana backed up by Marino.

So that was the worst game you ever bought, or the best?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:48 PM   #82
stevew
Hall Of Famer

John Elway football would be up there for me. I remember the clock was all screwed up, and if you gave it to the wingback on a reverse, he was so fast he could run out the entire quarter by dodging the opposing team .
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:59 PM   #83
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
not a knock on you Shorty, but before anybody else says it, I'll say that I bet you were really young in 1997

Earlier I remember me playing a football game on my PC was on my AT and it was that XOR NFL Challenge or something, the thing that had X's and O's simulating the plays... Oh and I was 16 or 17, a long time ago...

FM

He probably hadn't won a SB yet. I just still have this memory of running from the computer room to the living room and seeing commentators talking about how good Brett Favre might be when it's all said and done..

I was probably 8 or 9 at the time, so I don't really think I cared about a perfect simulation yet.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #84
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
He probably hadn't won a SB yet. I just still have this memory of running from the computer room to the living room and seeing commentators talking about how good Brett Favre might be when it's all said and done..

I was probably 8 or 9 at the time, so I don't really think I cared about a perfect simulation yet.

If we're talking 1997 or about, it was when the Packers won over the Pats, following the 1996 season. The game where Reggie White sacked Drew Bledsoe 3 times. We had just moved to Pittsfield, about a week before the game was actually played. If he had not won yet, they we may be talking about 96 or about.

FM
Old 01-12-2005, 01:19 PM   #85
bamcgee
High School JV

XOR NFL Challenge! Typing in 4 - 2 on the number pad meant Red sweep right! Great game. 3- 7 purple weakside rollout, perfect against the blitz.

I've bought far too many over the years that languished after one or two playing sessions, many of which are already mentioned: Black and White, Football Mogul, Dungeon Master, Victoria (blech). But for pure disappointment, I remember buying Ultima 5, fresh off the greatness of Ultima 4, and never getting the damned thing to work well. I was young too, so I took it pretty hard. I also remember hating Codename:Iceman, one of the old Sierra "Quest" type games made by the programmer of Police Quest, which I loved. Somebody needs to reissue those - I'd love to play Police Quest and Space Quest again.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #86
Warhammer
Pro Starter

[quote=bamcgee]XOR NFL Challenge! Typing in 4 - 2 on the number pad meant Red sweep right! Great game. 3- 7 purple weakside rollout, perfect against the blitz.[quote]

You forgot the best one though, 4-5 FB Screen Pass was best against a 4-6 FS Blitz!

Man I loved that game. I remember my dad and I used to play that thing every night. 84 Bears against the 84 Rams. Great fun.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #87
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast

Would you like to meet one of the people that designed Survivor? He's one of my best friends.

Would you like to destroy the office that put out Survivor? It's 10 miles from Galesburg.

And yes. My buddy Joe, and the entire design team, KNEW it sucked. Originally, they had some fun ideas. None of them (read: NONE) were permitted to go into the game. Magic Lantern's management is sad, sick and wrong.

Edit: Heh, and I was supposed to be in the game as one of the characters, as it so happens. They didn't have the chance to get me in for the photo shoots, though.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 01-12-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #88
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I remembered you telling me that, which is why I'm surprised YOU didn't mention it.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #89
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I had forgotten I told you, actually.

But note the thread title. Worst games you've bought. I didn't even want a free copy of that piece of shit.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #90
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Millenium Auction...

I don't know what the hell I was thinking..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 PM   #91
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

I have to second Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires. It was so bad, I almost gave up on the genre. Fortunately, I came across Civ II a few months later.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:04 PM   #92
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Total Control Football
Football Pro 99 - sadly this still sits in my CD rack, like I'm hoping that the programming pixies will arrive one nigth and rewrite the code to make it playable
Any of the horse racnig games, other than the ones in the quarterpole line
Black and White (I know it got critical aclaim but once the novelty of the creature wore off it was just plain boring to me)
The Sims (I know this had a lot of success but after the inital novelty I realized that I was just sitting there making my sim go to the bathroom, shower, eat and go to work - the kind of stuff that I play PC games to get away from)

Edit to Add: Survivor and Survivor Marqueses (yes, I really hang my head ni shame over the second one after being burned by the first) I forgot about these ones until I read back a rew posts and saw it mentioned.

Last edited by EagleFan : 01-12-2005 at 11:05 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote