Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2004, 11:33 AM   #51
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Oh yeah, the computer AI isn't dumb - it knows that if you have a disgruntled player that you're trying to peddle him off and just like it will take a discounted value if they are the ones with the unhappy player the AI will not offer you "fair" value for your guy cause it knows its got you over a barrel

As I just figured out for certain about 5 minutes trying to dump 2 of my draft picks who decided they didn't like Da Bulls.

Fricken ingrates. I bring the championship back to Chicago, and they have the gall to be PISSED that they are sitting on the bench of a powerhouse!

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #52
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Well Im guessing if your team is doing well that lack of wins isnt causing their unhappiness - better throw those kids a bone and get them some PT - of course they still might want more PT and you might lose some games cause you tried to play them and make them happy which might make other players unhappy since you cut their minutes and are losing games.....hmm, quite a dilemma you got there CW
Old 11-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #53
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Alright,

Gary has my interest level now.

It looks like I am buying tonight.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:03 PM   #54
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Cool - thanks D, you know I appreciate it
Old 11-04-2004, 12:08 PM   #55
jbmagic
Pro Starter

this game is very solid...

its really awesome...
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #56
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey Gary, I just noticed this. Apparently, after a trade, your sub matrix automatically goes to AI suggested values. I've got all that CPU manage stuff off, but it's certainly monkeying with my settings after I perform any trade.

Any way you can make that go away next patch? (Or am I missing a setting somewhere, by chance)

And I finally traded those whining, sniveling little fuckers.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-04-2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #57
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the TPB 2005 forum is great place to get answers too

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/
Old 11-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #58
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Indeed, and I've had a couple questions answered over there.

But I cannot leave my home now that it's back with us.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:21 PM   #59
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Im really really tempted to buy this now.. standard E-license stuff I assume - 2 installations ?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 PM   #60
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadik
Im really really tempted to buy this now.. standard E-license stuff I assume - 2 installations ?
Yeah, you get two installs per purchase.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #61
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

CW - I'll see what I can do about that and btw, no prob asking questions here. In fact I prefer it because it gives me a chance to talk about the game here too and hopefully more people will check it out if they like what they read.

Aadik - yup, standard elicense w/ 2 installs
Old 11-04-2004, 12:39 PM   #62
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

right- when I get home. Damn work till late...

Last edited by Aadik : 11-04-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:40 PM   #63
jbmagic
Pro Starter

gary is very helpful

with gary have faith ...if there anything wrong he will fix it ASAP

dont forget us at ootp forum too
Old 11-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Welp, I'm pretty damn pleased with it. I do admit I was wary to start with, but it's the second most enjoyable game I've bought this year (sorry, Rome beats TPB ). Very impressive piece of work.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #65
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Thanks CW - that's quite a compliment even if you do think Rome is better than TPB
Old 11-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #66
jbmagic
Pro Starter

gary, where my Thanks
Old 11-04-2004, 01:25 PM   #67
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Welp, I'm pretty damn pleased with it. I do admit I was wary to start with, but it's the second most enjoyable game I've bought this year (sorry, Rome beats TPB ). Very impressive piece of work.

speaking of which, that's the best thing about the board being up- you and CR need to get those dynasties goes again, to make up for all the time.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:30 PM   #68
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

when is the trade deadline in this game? I can't seem to find it anywhere it just kinda comes and goes.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 PM   #69
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Day 115 is the trade deadline
Old 11-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #70
John Galt
Pro Starter

A couple questions/requests:

Can someone with the full game assess the draft and free agency AI? Without knowing the details there, it is impossible to know the overall quality of the game.

Also, does the game require administrative rights to install (the demo doesn't)?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #71
Capital
High School Varsity

FWIW, I bought this game 2 nights ago and I'm very pleased with the game. I'm just starting my second season. I played my first off season with the Hawks last night and was surprised with all of the content during the off season. I personally enjoyed the lottery ceremony segment. Being the Hawks, I knew I was going to be involved. Although, the results are not very realistic as I was placed 2nd so the Hawks finally "won" a lottery This can't be the "real" NBA because Cleveland didn't win.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #72
korme
Go Reds

I'm getting this error when trying to load the demo..

Run-time error '372':

Failed to load control 'WindowsMediaPlayer' from wmp.dll. Your version of wmp.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

Yes, I restarted after install. Even re-installed and restarted, and same problems.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #73
The_herd
College Starter

This game taking my free time over the same way TCY did. This is not good. Luckily, its just me in the house for the next 3 weeks, so my wife doesn't get to see me sitting at the computer for hours on end while the lawn needs mowed..
Old 11-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #74
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
I'm getting this error when trying to load the demo..

Run-time error '372':

Failed to load control 'WindowsMediaPlayer' from wmp.dll. Your version of wmp.dll may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.

Yes, I restarted after install. Even re-installed and restarted, and same problems.

Same for me.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:59 PM   #75
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

You need to update your windows media player to the latest version from the microsoft website and then reboot and you'll be good to go
Old 11-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #76
korme
Go Reds

k, this game is sweet, 4 minutes in
Old 11-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #77
korme
Go Reds

Wow, retired jerseys. That's sweet.

Question pertaining to such: If you download the real rosters, can you update retired jerseys?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #78
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Answer pertaining to such - I believe the roster pack made by Irishhand already has all the numbers retired by the teams built in and I believe someone is working on making the NBA Jersey for each team to display them on
Old 11-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #79
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The retired jerseys for the real roster pack should be right. They look like it to me, at least.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #80
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Without internet here so I burned the demo to a CD-R and messed around with it yesterday. Didn't think to see what kind of a trial it was so I was a little disappointed after simming day 100's games, but the good news is that I signed up for a dial-up account (is that really good news? Senator?) and am now downloading the update so I can purchase the full version. Yup, should be around 98 more minutes, but well worth the wait I'm guessing.

I feel so deviant knowing that I can stop guys from going straight to the pros from the high school ranks. Hats off to the TPB team! And because I'm getting into graphic arts myself I've got to give extra mad props to Paul Yuan and his work..daaaaammmmn!
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #81
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Yes, Paul is definitely the man and he did an amazing job - Im extremely thankful to have him working with me.

And yes, for all you guys who want to make these kids go to college instead of jumping right to the pros - TPB gives you that power. You can finally put a stop to multi million dollar 18 year olds in your text sims!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 04:41 PM   #82
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Played the demo a couple days ago, and bought the game late last night. Today was a day off, so I put a good dent on a season before I stopped. Very addictive game in the mold of some of my original sim purchases.

Don't know yet about the offseason (haven't reached it), but thumbs up to Gary, he did a great job on this one.

Maybe the mere fact of not being under the name ".400 software" helps.In which case, I am looking forward to Arlie's next release.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-04-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:56 PM   #83
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Want to echo the other comments here. Giving the demo a shot right now and it looks like a very well put-together game, although as others have said, it would be really nice to be able to test out the offseason. Regardless, being an honest-to-goodness NBA fan (who may need some relief from the real life Hornets) I'm definitely leaning towards pulling the trigger on this one...
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 PM   #84
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
And yes, for all you guys who want to make these kids go to college instead of jumping right to the pros - TPB gives you that power. You can finally put a stop to multi million dollar 18 year olds in your text sims!!!
Exactly what does this mean? Sorry, I have not had time to download anything.
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:01 PM   #85
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Well Lloyd I know you cant try out the offseason but if you have any questions about it I would be happy to answer them in as much detail as possible for you.

Iwashere - in TPB 05 there is an option that you can prevent high school players (and/or international players) from entering the draft so that if you wanted to have more of an old school feel to the league you could have a draft of nothing but college players.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #86
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
Exactly what does this mean? Sorry, I have not had time to download anything.

In the league options menu you can turn off international players and high schoolers being allowed in the draft.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 PM   #87
The_herd
College Starter

I still type slow.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #88
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I just bought the game, and I am beginning my fantasy draft with fictional players right now. Can't wait to jump into it!
Old 11-04-2004, 10:05 PM   #89
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Well Lloyd I know you cant try out the offseason but if you have any questions about it I would be happy to answer them in as much detail as possible for you.

Iwashere - in TPB 05 there is an option that you can prevent high school players (and/or international players) from entering the draft so that if you wanted to have more of an old school feel to the league you could have a draft of nothing but college players.
Will a demo be forthcoming in the future that will allow you to try the off season? As I would want to play the game in Pure GM mode, seeing what the off season is like is a critical for me.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo
MizzouRah's dynasty rocks!

Thanks for the kind words! I definitly missed TPB today while my pc was un-hooked downstairs waiting on the carpet guys to finish layed carpet in the back of the house. I'm exhausted, but it's time for the Metros to see what the Knights can do, Cyrus is back from injury and I'm undefeated at home.

I would agree with those who say this game is eating up most of my gaming time at night. Darn it Gary!!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:15 PM   #91
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

OK. I did a fantasy draft, and didn't pay attention to the salaries of the guys I was signing. After 3 seasons, 1 championship, and three playoff appearances, I got fired! I dunno, maybe it had something to do with being $51M over the cap, having a cash balance of -$118M, with an owner who's "willingness to spend" rating is Very Low. Oops!

First off, this is good to see. The owner wouldn't allow me to spend willy-nilly, even if I was successful. But now, here's my situation: I can look around the league still, but it appears I can't do anything else. Do I just start a new league, or what? Is there a way to sim this league forward for x number of seasons until someone offers me a job?

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-04-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
OK. I did a fantasy draft, and didn't pay attention to the salaries of the guys I was signing. After 3 seasons, 1 championships, and three playoff appearances, I got fired! I dunno, maybe it had something to do with being $51M over the cap, having a cash balance of -$118M, with an owner who's "willingness to spend" rating is Very Low. Oops!

First off, this is good to see. The owner wouldn't allow me to spend willy-nilly, even if I was successful. But now, here's my situation: I can look around the league still, but it appears I can't do anything else. Do I just start a new league, or what? Is there a way to sim this league forward for x number of seasons until someone offers me a job?

Hehe.. I did the same thing, now I need to unload some salary.

Todd
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 PM   #93
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
OK. I did a fantasy draft, and didn't pay attention to the salaries of the guys I was signing. After 3 seasons, 1 championships, and three playoff appearances, I got fired! I dunno, maybe it had something to do with being $51M over the cap, having a cash balance of -$118M, with an owner who's "willingness to spend" rating is Very Low. Oops!

The offseason email that says your performance will be reviewed also says something along the lines of, if you are fired and don't get offered a job right away, you can sim until the next season and see if you get offered a job.

I haven't been fired yet, so I don't have 1st hand knowledge.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:25 PM   #94
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Ben - what you should do right after being fired is go to the GM Office screen (the home icon at the top) and scroll through the teams. If any of the buttons say "GM Job Open" or something to that effect you can click the button and take that GM Job. If there are no openings go to the top dropdown box and select the commissioner option. Once you are in as commish, go to email and you will see the emails to continue the league. If there were no openings you will have to sim through the offseason and next season and then switch the control back to your GM guy and check again for openings prior to the coach hiring phase.

p.s. I know that sounds complicated but its really not - when you're not controlling a team you can run the league from the commish login. Some guys like the ability to not run a team for awhile. Usually there is at least one GM job open each year so if there are none open right after you got fired there will likely be one next year at that time.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nobody wants Ben as their GM. He likes eating at sushi bars, drinking Sam Adams, and wearing more gold than Mr. T.

Todd
Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 PM   #96
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben - what you should do right after being fired is go to the GM Office screen (the home icon at the top) and scroll through the teams. If any of the buttons say "GM Job Open" or something to that effect you can click the button and take that GM Job. If there are no openings go to the top dropdown box and select the commissioner option. Once you are in as commish, go to email and you will see the emails to continue the league. If there were no openings you will have to sim through the offseason and next season and then switch the control back to your GM guy and check again for openings prior to the coach hiring phase.

p.s. I know that sounds complicated but its really not - when you're not controlling a team you can run the league from the commish login. Some guys like the ability to not run a team for awhile. Usually there is at least one GM job open each year so if there are none open right after you got fired there will likely be one next year at that time.
Aha! Thanks!

NO jobs were open, but I'll get one eventually, dadgummit.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #97
Ben E Lou

Hmmmmm....A job came open, and it said "There is no available human GM to fill this job."
Old 11-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #98
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Are you logged in as your GM Name or as the commish still? You have to be logged in as the GM (it will just say your GM name instead of a team since you dont have one) and it should work
Old 11-04-2004, 10:46 PM   #99
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

For those interested in the real NBA. This thread has everything you need to know concerning roster, logos, courts, jerseys, etc... A member named Wally has some excellent looking NBA courts.

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...read.php?t=732

Todd
Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #100
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Are you logged in as your GM Name or as the commish still? You have to be logged in as the GM (it will just say your GM name instead of a team since you dont have one) and it should work
Logged in as GM name.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-04-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote