Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #51
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
I got an orange jacket with your name on it.

Sweet, you picked up the BYU alternate Uniform..........I knew you were a closet Cougar!!

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM   #52
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Riiiight. Nevermind the Big T on it.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #53
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

I think he meant this Schmidty

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-06-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #55
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Die. Both of you.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #56
BYU 14
Coordinator

A proud Dad's adventures in the Windy City

Got back from my Son's Navy graduation late last night and first off I have to say what a cool place Chicago is. It is the first time I have been able to spend any extended time in the City and it was really enjoyable.

Of course the entire reason for the trip was the Basic training graduation ceremony, so here we go. The Navy really did an awesome job on the entire process. The Ceremony started with the Base band and a drill team marching with the flags of all 50 states, which were each announced to varying degrees of cheering from those in attendance. Of course I represented Arizona well ......Apparently North Dakota and Idaho did not have any recruits in the class, as those states were greeted by the sound of Crickets

They also played a very cool video before the recruits marched in, which included highlights of training and some Navy combat video.....the only part of the Video I didn't care for much was the ending, which was a short PR message for Bush and the War on Terror....Not surprised it was there, just felt it didn't really need to be for this event. We have heard it before and this was about the 753 young Men and Women graduating. Just my opinion.

After this the recruits marched in and as my son's division marched by and was announced, I teared up for the first of probably five times during the ceremony.....The pride you feel at this time is overwhelming knowing what your Son/Daughter has just been through, and to see him leading his division as the RCPO intensified this even more. I was a crying mess and I screwed up the marching pictures with the wrong Camera setting, but this shot is as the Divisions have come into place. Tony is holding the Cutlass in the front...

After the Divisions were in place they went down and announced all the RDC's (Drill instructors) and the RCPO of reach divsion (teary again) then went through the training awards. Tony's division was one of the top two in terms of winning the competition Flags and were recognized as an individual unit for this....This shot is as they were announced as one of the two elite units. The flag bearers point their competition flags to the spectators, also very cool.

He was right in front of me the whole time and he said he could see me and had to keep fighting off a smile, cause he could see I kept crying and that amused him for some reason ......The best part of the Ceremony of course was finally getting to run down there at the end and hug him. I have to tell you it was a crazy stampede and it's amazing nobody was hurt getting to the Kids. To add to that it was great to see so much family support for the Navy's newest Sailors....the place was packed and I really feel for anybody who was unable to attend, it was a beautiful moment.....As you can see below I am still all teary.......LOL

Being as we had to split time with Tony with my ex and we had him Saturday, my Wife and I said our goodbyes to him and headed down to Chicago to celebrate my 44th Birthday and check out the City, (though seeing Tony was the only present I needed) I had to fit in so of course I picked up a Sox beanie before leaving the Hotel and hopping the train downtown. I really enjoyed the feel of the City and we had a lot of fun just exploring.....Ate at Boston Blackie's and got some great shots of the City from the Sears Tower.....My favorite of course included Soldiers field.

A great day ended with cocktails and awesome birthday sex....sorry no pics of that

Saturday we picked up Tony and spent the Morning exploring some of the suberbs around the base. The train line between the base and Chicago stops in some pretty cool places and we saw as many as possible. Of course the highlight was hearing all of Tony stories about training, especially Battle Stations, though he tried to pull the "Sorry, what happens during Battle Stations stays in Battle Stations" line on me. I used rank and a chokehold to get the scoop, LOL. One thing that I really noticed was cognizant Tony was of how he acted in public.....he can be a goofy Kid, but was very straight laced while out on the street, as he was in Uniform and wanted to represent accordingly....I jokingly kept telling him to relax but I was very impressed....I guess this is normal right after Basic training, but even stopping to cross the street he would would snap to attention, look both ways, then proceed across the street It was a very nice morning catching up and sharing stories and memories and went way too fast.

Next up we had the pleasure to meet a fellow FOFCer for Lunch. Rodney (Ardent Enthusiast) is a super nice guy and met us at the Lake Bluff Train Station and we drove to place called the Silo for some Chicago Style Pizza. Tony and I thought it was awesome, but my Wife wasn't as wowed and had the nerve to say a place back here in Phoenix is just as good....blaspehmy!! Of course there is not always an accounting for taste with her as she later tried to purchase a red "Navy Dad" T-Shirt for me knowing full well I own not a stitch of Red clothing.....Ardent can vouch, I had to veto her attempts to get it no fewer than 5 five times. Anyway, we had a very nice lunch and some good conversation and Rodney offered some sage advice to my Son which I know will come in handy. I also have to add his love for Tennesee is no joke people. He showed up in full Volunteer Swag and even has a Volunteer Orange Cell Phone......He had a blue Car, which made me suspicious, so I keyed it while he was not looking....sure enough...ORANGE PRIMER!!!!

My Wife thought he just loved Orange, so I later had to explain that it was to profess his love for his Favorite College Football team.......This made sense quickly to her as the "Like you are with that stupid BYU crap" quote that followed attests. Rodney was also gracious enough to drive us to the NEX outlet (Think Navy Walmart) where we got some momentos (See Red shirt story above) and then drop us all back at our Hotel. Again a super nice Guy and it was great to meet him and spend some time together...........He should be pretty easy to pick out in the pic below.....

After this we spent our last few hours just relaxing, watching some Hoops and talking about Tony's future plans for school and what we would be doing when he gets home on leave after A school, which will run through the end of May.....I took him aside and let him know one more time how proud I was of him and how much I loved him.......then it was off for the flight home. I have to admit that on the way to the Airport I had that same feeling come over me that I felt when we sent him off to basic Training.....I guess I will never really get used to any of my Kids being away and it will be hard to say "see you later" whenever he goes anywhere after we spend time together. At least once he gets to A School we can talk via phone and email on a regular basis, and that will be much better than these last 8 weeks were. He will also probably join the FOFC WOW guild when he gets his laptop, so that will be cool as well.

One last pic of two of my Heroes, Tony and his little Brother Derick

Thanks again for all the support you guys give to the young Men and Women of the military!!

Anthony

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-11-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #57
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Soo.... any stories of Navy Gay Sex?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #58
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
Soo.... any stories of Navy Gay Sex?

Didn't you read the quote? "What happens in Battle Stations, stays in Battle stations"

Old 03-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #59
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for sharing. Those are some great pictures.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #60
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Only one problem. You bought the wrong hat.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #61
spleen1015
Coordinator

That's awesome!
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #62
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Only one problem. You bought the wrong hat.

Yeah, I had a hard time getting on base because one of the MP's was a Cub's fan......I explained it away to fashion
Old 03-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #63
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Those are some great pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
That's awesome!

Thanks Guys, it was a great weekend.

I really think I could live in Chicago, Wife hates cold though so that will happen when...........I know, when the Cub's win the Series
Old 03-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #64
Dutch
"Dutch"

This story would have been cooler if you kid joined the Air Force. Oh well...

Seriously, I've worked with Navy folks quite a bit in my time and they are mostly good people. Their officers and Chief's are usually bent out of shape for one reason or another, but the young cats are all pretty cool.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #65
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That's a nice Tennessee jacket.

Edit: and you forgot about my orange shoes!

Last edited by Poli : 03-11-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #66
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's a nice Tennessee jacket.

Edit: and you forgot about my orange shoes!

I think my Wife thought the T was for Tommy Hilfiger

Sorry about the Shoes, I never got past the Cell phone, in fact I have spent the better part of the afternoon trying to find a BYU model...

Seriously, thanks again for your hospitality Rodney!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-11-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #67
Poli
FOFC Survivor

My wife found mine on Ebay. Oh, and I'll give you a guess on the ringtone.

Last edited by Poli : 03-11-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #68
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quick update....Tony is still doing his Police training in Texas, but he found out yesterday that his first Duty station will be stateside. This comes as a big relief as he indicated several in this class are being sent to a Base in the Persian Gulf....

He doesn't know exactly where he is going yet, but thinks it will be somewhere on the West Coast, which is more good news, along with the fact that he will be home for 2 weeks towards the end of May
Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Quick update....Tony is still doing his Police training in Texas, but he found out yesterday that his first Duty station will be stateside. This comes as a big relief as he indicated several in this class are being sent to a Base in the Persian Gulf....

He doesn't know exactly where he is going yet, but thinks it will be somewhere on the West Coast, which is more good news, along with the fact that he will be home for 2 weeks towards the end of May

I'm guessing Goodfellow AFB? I was there twice in my 9 years in the Army. Not a terrible place. Couple decent golf courses, small town, small base. I hated it my first time there, but had a family my second trip and actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Good to hear he got a stateside assignment. That should allow him to get a feel for the Navy instead of being sent straight to the Persian Golf or somewhere similar.

My wife wasn't so lucky, she just rejoined the army this past August and will be headed to Iraq in late June/early July.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #70
BYU 14
Coordinator

Where is Goodfellow at?

You Wife will be in my thoughts.....what will she be doing in Iraq?
Old 04-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #71
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Wow, a couple of I went to tech school with said goodfellow was hell on earth
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #72
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Where is Goodfellow at?

You Wife will be in my thoughts.....what will she be doing in Iraq?

Goodfellow is San Angelo. I also spent 3 years at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. They do MP training at both, although I'm not sure where the Navy sends their MPs for training.

My wife currently has a desk job as a glorified secretary and I'm hoping it stays that way while she's there. She's supposedly going to be attached to a Ranger Battalion doing paperwork for them, but you never know with the Army. The only thing she knows for certain is she'll be in Baghdad for 12 months.

I joined as a 19 year old and I remember laughing at my Mom for the way she reacted when she saw me at graduation. With a 5 year old now I have an entirely new perspective on how proud your children can make you feel.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #73
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quick update, I just dropped him off at the Airport tonight after a two week leave to return to Chesapeake in Maryland. I lot has happened in the year plus he has been gone...He is now 21, has gotten three tattoos, bought his first brand new Car, lives with his Girlfriend off base and he has started to work towards his RN when he is off duty.......One thing that hasn't is how much I still miss him being away because even though he is now a grown ass man, he will always be that kid in the football story of post #1

I took some time off around my birthday and had a great time with him and the rest of the family. Last Friday just me and him, beer, wings and a spring training game, then a get together Friday night. Saturday EPL soccer and video games with all the kids, then another get together Saturday night. Sunday a family breakfast, then went to watch him and his younger brother Derick but on a sparring seminar at a local Dojo. When they finished it was off to my Birthday dinner at Rock Bottom, capped off with an evening at Dave and Busters, good times!

Monday we just kind of relaxed and talked about life things and then I had to go back to work Tuesday. Today before going to the Airport we talked some more, then watched some of his old Football tapes, with a special focus on when he was 9. (I have to say he was a hell of a linebacker back then despite the pounding his brother gave him the first time in pads, LOL) We laughed alot at those early games, watched some of the later games when it actually looked like Football, and before you could blink it was time to go........

You know, it was really tough the first to see him leave and I thought it would not be as bad this time, but of course it still got to me and I shed a couple of tears since getting home.......I really feel for the people on this board going through hard times now (Oliegirl, Lathum, etc) Family is truly the most important thing in life, and being away from my long hours, high stress job for a few days and totally ingrossed in my wife and kids really snapped me back into focus. It just doesn't get any better.

And one final thing.....as mentioned earlier in this thread I printed a bunch of the best wishes and words of encouragement from FOFCers and mailed them to him during boot camp....He still has them all, and he still reads them from time to time......He wanted me to share that, because it still touches him and he wanted me to say thanks again. And for me, it was a memorable 45th B-Day getting to spend it with the entire family

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-13-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #74
BYU 14
Coordinator

Just a real quick update, Tony is still in Maryland and will be going overseas sometime next summer, hopefully somewhere safe. The girlfriend he had in the last post is now his wife and since she has a little girl, he is now a Dad and I am.......A grandfather!!!! UGH!

It is funny looking back at how shaken up I was when he left almost 2 years ago. Being in the service has really made a difference in his life and he continues to make me proud.

The newlyweds. She is a super young lady and the only problem I have with her is she is too damn tall (5'11) and almost looks me in the eye!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding pic 11.jpg (64.0 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-26-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #75
Izulde
Head Coach

Your son has good taste.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:23 AM   #76
Dutch
"Dutch"

Congrats, you've built quite a great family! You should be very proud.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #77
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Congratulations!!

He certainly has more ribbons than I did after 2 years of service. I got the Expert Rifle out of boot, followed by the Good Conduct flipping 3 years later. I was put in for two Navy Achievement Medals, during that three year time, both got shot down. Shoot, it wasn't until my deployment in 2003 that I had more than three ribbons.

Soon after, that, I started to bust them out. I ended up with 13, including the Iraqi Campaign Medal, which I still don't believe I deserve (I never stepped foot in Iraq).

Last edited by Poli : 11-27-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #78
BYU 14
Coordinator

Thanks guys, we are definitely proud of all our kids.

The only part of the wedding that sucked is they had to rush it. It was originally planned for January 24th in Vegas, since most of our family/friends are out west. Unfortunately, since he is going overseas in the summer, she would not have been able to join him if they weren't married when he filed his request for duty stations, so they had small rush ceremony back east to beat the deadline for filing.

We are still having a ceremony in Vegas as planned in January though and we will make for the missed celebration then. Just a fact of life when you are in the Military, you are on their schedule.