Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #51
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Even if they didn't make it, it was still the right call. One yard now or a coin flip that gives whoever wins a 2/3rds chance at winning.

EDIT: Particularly with a team where the offense is still the better side of the ball.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-06-2005 at 03:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:29 PM   #52
Lorena
Unregistered

Thanks JonInMiddleGA, JB, and Ramz for the updates.

I can't believe KC came back to beat the Raidas, I had chosen the Raidas to win 20-21 and they messed me up.... DAMN THEM!!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #53
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Again and again the same, every Fu****g week, 3rd and short and Miami coach decides to pass when the only working game is the run until then, then Feeley / Frerotte / Fiedler throws and int and game over.

Bueller ...

Bueller ...

Bueller ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #54
TroyF
Coordinator

The Raiders are what thye've always been. Stay close to em. Wait until they make a fatal mistake. The gameplan hasn't changed in a decade now.

I'm not so sure that was a ballsy call by Vermeil there. Yeah, the "if they miss this. . ." thing comes into play, but look at the factors in the decision:

1) KC is averaging 4.8 yards a carry on the day.
2) The KC defense is in the middle of yet another monumental collapse.

I think it comes down to this: If the game goes into OT and the Raiders win the coin toss, the game is over. So the Chiefs odds of victory is 50% at best. Running it in from the one with the Raiders defensive line head up against your offensive line? 80% Minimum. I take the Chiefs 98 out of a 100 times in that situation.

I don't think it was as much gutsy as it was smart.

Now, of course, if this is Billy B., we read about his genius for a month.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:35 PM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Again and again the same, every Fu****g week, 3rd and short and Miami coach decides to pass when the only working game is the run until then, then Frerotte throws and int and game over. Search for the past weeks reviews from me, you can read exactly the same. Linehan can't realize that this aren't the Vickings, that Frerotte is not Culpepper and that he has two awesome RB's in Miami, so run the ball!!!

Now even the head coach Saban thinks like me and in the press release he said that he is also wondering why the dolphins threw instead of running. I guess this is going to be a bad week betwen him and Linehan...

They need to take a page from the Falcons on this. Rotate the backs in with a good lead blocker. Run, run, and run, and then play-action pass with the line is stacked. Really simple football.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:36 PM   #56
TroyF
Coordinator

Sterling beat me to it, damnit.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:41 PM   #57
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I don't disagree that going for it was the right call; I think that it was impressive to run it knowing that if it fails the game is over. Going for it and throwing a quick slant that leaves you time to kick a field goal was a much "safer" call.

The surprising part to me is that while the Chiefs have had a high-octane offense in recent years, Vermeil has been criticized locally for playing too conservative in crunch time. That clearly wasn't the case during the two-minute drill.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:45 PM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The one thing about, that Troy, is that there are injuries to consider. Willie Roaf didn't play again and that's a huge factor in a situation like that as was a bit of Johnson instead of TD maker Holmes. Thankfully, for the Chiefs, they run out one of the two or three best blocking FBs in the league and he made that hole there.

SI

Old 11-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #59
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
The one thing about, that Troy, is that there are injuries to consider. Willie Roaf didn't play again and that's a huge factor in a situation like that as was a bit of Johnson instead of TD maker Holmes. Thankfully, for the Chiefs, they run out one of the two or three best blocking FBs in the league and he made that hole there.

SI

I understand the injuries. . . but KC averaged 4.8 yards a carry in TODAY's game. The Raiders hadn't stopped the run consistently all day. KC has exactly one third and short prior to the final play of the game, that was a 3rd and 2 that LJ ran in for a 15 yard TD.

To me the SAFE play was to run up the middle here. I can't imagine Dick doing anything different on that play. I'm not criticizing him, he did exactly what he's paid to do there. He made the right call. If they'd have missed it, it was still the right call, but people would have crucified him so I guess it's ok he gets some props. . . but for my money it was the only call he could make there.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:53 PM   #60
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
4-3-SD 3 (:59) (Run formation) B.Bollinger pass incomplete to J.McCareins (Q.Jammer).

I wish the FOF game logs gave this little piece of information (who had coverage). The game tracks the stat but doesn't show it in the game log.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #61
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Another entertaining Packer game we have going here.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #62
SackAttack
Head Coach

Polamalu was just unconscious those last few plays against the Packers, culminating in that fumble return. Amazing.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:19 PM   #63
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Brandon Lloyd made a mind-blowing catch, but it was wiped out by a holding penalty
Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #64
SackAttack
Head Coach

How 'bout that catch by Shockey?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #65
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Samkon Gado with his first ever NFL TD for the Packers, very nice.

For those not watching this game, hell I have only seen half of it so far, Gado was signed two weeks ago and this is his first game. He is an undrafted rookie who went to Liberty Univ. And no he was not the starter there, he was the 3rd stringer. How he got on the Packers I don't know but I am guessing the other two guys got iinjured like all the Packer RBs.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #66
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I can't believe the Raiders lost.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #67
Easy Mac

I can't believe its not butter
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:36 PM   #68
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Samkon Gado with his first ever NFL TD for the Packers, very nice.

For those not watching this game, hell I have only seen half of it so far, Gado was signed two weeks ago and this is his first game. He is an undrafted rookie who went to Liberty Univ. And no he was not the starter there, he was the 3rd stringer. How he got on the Packers I don't know but I am guessing the other two guys got iinjured like all the Packer RBs.

And yet Maurice Clarett is still out there somewhere. All the talent in the world, but he just won't put in the work.

I'm very impressed with the heart the 1-6 Packers are showing. I don't know if they can come back against the Steelers, but this will help them down the road.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #69
Easy Mac

Pack should have kicked a field goal.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:54 PM   #70
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
The Raiders are what thye've always been. Stay close to em. Wait until they make a fatal mistake. The gameplan hasn't since 1986.

Not to nitpick, but I fixed this for you.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2005, 05:55 PM   #71
st.cronin
General Manager

Cedric Benson has officially arrived. He looks good.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #72
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I went upstairs just long enough to see Favre overthrow a pass. Imagine that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #73
Easy Mac

again they ignore the FG option. I don't care what the wind is (a slight weind in their face). Taking 1 shot at a FG is better than failing in 2 attempts for a 1st down. Now they can't do anything.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:27 PM   #74
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
And yet Maurice Clarett is still out there somewhere. All the talent in the world, but he just won't put in the work.

I'm very impressed with the heart the 1-6 Packers are showing. I don't know if they can come back against the Steelers, but this will help them down the road.

I forgot about Clarett. With al these injuries to the Packers RB's I have never heard his name brought up once. lol.

And the Packers get that look of a football team from Clown University at the end. They have more blocking in back penalties of punt returns this year then the rest of the league combined. Every loss has been close this year too, that is what hurts the most. Just give up and get blown out please....thanks you.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #75
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon
Not to nitpick, but I fixed this for you.

Now, now. They had a couple of really good years mixed in there.

They always seem to make the wrong play at the wrong time. It's just an amazing gift. The sad thing? They always seem to play one game a year against the Broncos where they play smart and win. We wait for them to make the mistake and they don't make it. Just kills me.

The Raiders always make you think they are better than they really are. They stick around in games they have no business in. Every year after three or four weeks someone makes the inevitable "They are the sleeper team, they are better than their record indicates" comment. This game ends it for them this year. They may beat Denver next week (see above comment) and they may take a few games. But they aren't leapfrogging three teams above .500 in the second half of the season without tiebreakers. Just isn't happening.

As a side note, did anyone else catch Sapp just getting wiped out on that final play?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #76
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Now, now. They had a couple of really good years mixed in there.

They always seem to make the wrong play at the wrong time. It's just an amazing gift. The sad thing? They always seem to play one game a year against the Broncos where they play smart and win. We wait for them to make the mistake and they don't make it. Just kills me.

The Raiders always make you think they are better than they really are. They stick around in games they have no business in. Every year after three or four weeks someone makes the inevitable "They are the sleeper team, they are better than their record indicates" comment. This game ends it for them this year. They may beat Denver next week (see above comment) and they may take a few games. But they aren't leapfrogging three teams above .500 in the second half of the season without tiebreakers. Just isn't happening.

As a side note, did anyone else catch Sapp just getting wiped out on that final play?

If they'd just leave and go back to LA, I'd get more than just 2 televised games each week (SF / Chokeland)!! And I heard the "they are way better than their 1-4 record, probably the best 1-4 team in the NFL" comment this year. Season over, time to party for us Faider Haters.

Course, living in Chokeland Faidersland, I have to listen about how the refs screwed them week in and week out.

I have to remind the Faidersfans that their team is only averaging an 8.3 - 7.7 season since their last superbowl win and are 80-87 since coming back to Chokeland.

PS: I'm not a Whiners fan either. I was a fan of the Faiders from the 70s until they backstabbed me as a child in 1982 and forced me to find another team to like, Miami, and I have suffered ever since.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #77
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Nice to see McNabb and the Eagles looking good early (ok VERY early) in the game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Another entertaining Packer game we have going here.

Admittedly I'm on the other side of the aisle as you on this game, but, damn, this was like the worst game I think I've seen in awhile. I spent much of the second half waiting for Batch to throw a td INT to a GB corner, thankfully it didnt happen. That rookie RB looked fairly solid, especially since his line ain't all that good.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #79
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

OK, quick question. Assuming the Texans continue to play like the Texans and snag the 1st pick in the draft do they take Leinhart or stick with Carr? If they stick with Carr what do they do with the pick?
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #80
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Stick with Carr and try to trade down to where you can still pick up the best O-lineman in the draft.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #81
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Reggie Brown with a 56 year TD reception from McNabb!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #82
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Stick with Carr and try to trade down to where you can still pick up the best O-lineman in the draft.

Honestly, it doesn't have to be the best o-lineman. Pretty much anybody will do.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #83
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFriendlyUnitShifter
Brandon Lloyd made a mind-blowing catch, but it was wiped out by a holding penalty

That play WAS the game. Still keeping pace with the top pick in the draft.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #84
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Honestly, it doesn't have to be the best o-lineman. Pretty much anybody will do.

Trade down for 5x 4th round draft picks and spend them on an entire offensive line

SI

Old 11-06-2005, 08:17 PM   #85
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Trade down for 5x 4th round draft picks and spend them on an entire offensive line

SI

Or, keep the first pick, draft Leinart, and teach him to play Left Tackle. I think he'd probably be ok.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

McNabb just made an excellent run for a few yards and is playing better than he has in weeks..
Old 11-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #87
st.cronin
General Manager

Seriously, did the Redskins come up with some genetic therapy to reverse-age Brunell? He looks 5-10 years younger.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #88
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Wow. Brain cramp for McNabb just cost them 3.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #89
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Admittedly I'm on the other side of the aisle as you on this game, but, damn, this was like the worst game I think I've seen in awhile. I spent much of the second half waiting for Batch to throw a td INT to a GB corner, thankfully it didnt happen. That rookie RB looked fairly solid, especially since his line ain't all that good.

Actually I was saying hat pretty much tongue in cheek right after Favre was blindsided and fumbled, which was then returned for a TD.

Packer games actually are entertaining this year, but suck in the end for us Packer fans as they always blow it or fall short of a comeback. The Packers are 1-7 now and have actually outscored their opponents this year because of the New Orleans blow out and every other game being very close at the end. It's wacky.

You can see Favre just about ready to snap at times, like after Driver let a pass go right off his hands and bounce up into the air for an INT. Everything goes wrong for this team and it is pretty sad to see. (And when I say wrong, I don't mean just bad luck, I also mean like two false starts when you are at the 1 yard line to take you away from any chance at a TD)
Old 11-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #90
Rizon
Pro Starter

The league should ban the Eagles from running any plays with 2 minutes left to go in any half.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2005, 09:19 PM   #91
st.cronin
General Manager

I would bet my car that Terrell Owens is openly rooting for the Redskins, wherever he is.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:20 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

Wow. Thrash almost made the mistake of the game. He's lucky his own guy got it back.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:01 PM   #93
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just saw my nomination for fan of the year.

Anyone else see the middle-eastern guy with his Washington jersey on with the matching maroon turbin? That guy is great, I have never seen a team colored turbin.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #94
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

REDSKINS win!

On 4th and 4 with 1:25 left, McNabb throws an INT!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
REDSKINS win!

On 4th and 4 with 1:25 left, McNabb throws an INT!

Woot.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #96
korme
Go Reds

Chad Johnson gives up his body and makes the second best catch of the day (that goes to Laverneus Coles), and we are 7-2 and 2 wins away from having a winning season.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #97
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
They always seem to make the wrong play at the wrong time. It's just an amazing gift.
It's bizzarre. Aside from Rich Gannon bringing some common sense to the team for a couple of season, it's like the moment you put on the silver and black you turn your brain off. Jeff George was perfect for that team because he never thought. Amazing talent and arm, but no brain whatsoever. He gave the Chiefs a game once when he was going down for a sack and tried to throw a pass while going down and hit a linebacker square in the hands for a touchdown.

Collins puked away a drive today when he was going down for a sack and tried to throw a pass to Lamont Jordan. Only problem was that the defender was driving him in to the ground at an agle that cause the ball to go backward and short hop Joradan. There were lucky all that happened was the ball bounced out of down, but it killed any chance at a drive.

Another key play today was an interception when Collins overthrew his receiver by at least five yards. One of worst passes I've seen this season.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #98
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Chad Johnson gives up his body and makes the second best catch of the day (that goes to Laverneus Coles), and we are 7-2 and 2 wins away from having a winning season.

I thought Plaxico Burress had the best catch of the day, did you see it?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #99
Swaggs
Coordinator

How about poor Michael Vick? Is he serious about getting criticized?

I think he is one of the media's most adored players.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:13 AM   #100
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
How about poor Michael Vick? Is he serious about getting criticized?

I think he is one of the media's most adored players.
You ever read any internet forums discussing football? Or listen to talk radio discussing football? Vick gets more hate directed towards him than any other player out there. And it isn't just fans on forums or talk radio who are slamming him. Some of the pundits are as well.