Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #51
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I predict it will be an ESPN movie by the end of the year.

GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #52
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes, I think it's a little-known fact that Manute Bol was overweight as a child!
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I predict it will be an ESPN movie by the end of the year.

It's already an ESPN book...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 PM   #54
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Aside from the injury clue, what else is there?

Someone who wasn't highly recruited out of high school, may have played at a small college after being cut somewhere else. Eliminates some potential candidates from big-name schools. In fact, I'm thinking this is an older player for some reason, before grade school kids were recruited for college. How many Rodman-types are there who were virtually unknown?

Man in the Middle suggests a center/big man, but could just be a reference to basketball in general.
I think the two key hints that you can really go on is the Injury and the College situation. Both are things that you could garner from say a wiki search or something potentially if they're not too fringe.

I don't even care that an NBA player was gay, but this is like a Quiksand puzzle now .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #55
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Wait, I haven't finished.

...and he suffered from anorexia his entire life!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 PM   #56
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

It is not Green...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C._Green

He is married and claims he was a virgin throughout his NBA career.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I don't even care that an NBA player was gay, but this is like a Quiksand puzzle now .

Exactly!

This is like Who's Gay In Sports (WGIS) 2...the first being the thread way back when where we discussed the East Coast baseball player whose former boyfriend wrote an article about their relationship. It's like a puzzle.

Maybe if this becomes an epidemic - and it will if this guy's book makes millions - we can aspire to have our own forum!
Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 PM   #58
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
It is not Green...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.C._Green

He is married and claims he was a virgin throughout his NBA career.

And yet another example of why we need the "going over someone's head" smiley.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #59
Ksyrup

Mrs. Christie would be awfully pissed to learn that Doug penned an autobiography without her permission.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Let's see what clues can help us.

"awkward, overweight child"--very hard to get info on this

"to a jet-setting NBA star"--if he flew to games with the team, he was jet-setting.

"his father’s abandonment"--sadly, that's probably half the league.

"being cut from his first college team"--a bit more of a real clue, but, again, very hard to know. Was he cut because he wasn't any good? Was it a grades thing? Did he not get along with the coaches? Did it happen during a redshirt freshman year? There is no reason why this has to be a high-profile cut.

"a life-threatening injury"--Could be anything from a bad car wreck to one night when he got a really bad concussion and "the doctor's said that I probably might have died had I gone to sleep before I got medical attention."

"abusive coaches"--Every coach ever, right?

"the death of his mother"--hard to spin this, but I don't know how easily available the info would be.

Basically, this is not an easy case.

And, no, I have no idea why I am so interested.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #61
Ksyrup

Yeah, jet setting NBA star = was on the 12 man roster and flew with the team to games.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

"being cut from his first college team"--a bit more of a real clue, but, again, very hard to know. Was he cut because he wasn't any good? Was it a grades thing? Did he not get along with the coaches? Did it happen during a redshirt freshman year? There is no reason why this has to be a high-profile cut.

I keep going back to this one as it seems relatively easy to verify that someone was on more than one college team. There can't be all that many NBA players that fit this profile, can there?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the NBA is probably the weakest of the big 3 sports so I'm not much help here.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #63
Ksyrup

That is, by far, the best clue. From there, we could cross-reference players with known injuries and available info about their family (specifically, death of mother).

The problem is that if a guy was cut and never officially a member of a team, would there be a record of him as having been to 2 schools?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That is, by far, the best clue. From there, we could cross-reference players with known injuries and available info about their family (specifically, death of mother).

The problem is that if a guy was cut and never officially a member of a team, would there be a record of him as having been to 2 schools?

cut could mean he didn't play as a freshman but made the team as a sophomore. not necessarily a part of two different colleges.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

my guess might be someone who was prop 48. Jet Setting would indicate to me that this person played on several different teams.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Why don't you get on that?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #67
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Anfernee Hardaway did not play his first year at Memphis due to academics. He also got shot before he came to Memphis State and had several injuries throughout his career. He jumped around to different teams. But I do not think he was awkward and overweight and you really could not say he was cut by his college team. Plus, I think he is still actively seeking a job in the NBA.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #68
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
cut could mean he didn't play as a freshman but made the team as a sophomore. not necessarily a part of two different colleges.

Quote:
being cut from his first college team

The word first here to me implies he was on more than one college team. Now, the point that he may have never been on the roster makes a search hard, but may make it so that it can be found in someone's bio.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #69
Ksyrup

Quote:

But it says, "cut from first college team," which suggests more than one "team." Are you thinking 1995-1996 = one team, and 1996-1997 another, even though at the same school? Could be.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #70
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Anfernee Hardaway did not play his first year at Memphis due to academics. He also got shot before he came to Memphis State and had several injuries throughout his career. He jumped around to different teams. But I do not think he was awkward and overweight and you really could not say he was cut by his college team. Plus, I think he is still actively seeking a job in the NBA.
The bolded part brought me the most laughs in this entire thread.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #71
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
The bolded part brought me the most laughs in this entire thread.

Penny can still play! I do not see why the Griz do not give him a roster spot, just for drawing fans to the game.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #72
timmynausea
College Starter

Looks like John Starks "bagged groceries for several years before playing basketball for several small colleges," according to Wikipedia. Plus he had a really badly broken arm (not exactly life threatening, but still).

It's really doubtful that it's him, but that's the best I could find so far. He already released his autobiography in 2004.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #73
Ksyrup

Ok, work with me here. I'm sure this is the wrong answer, but maybe some of you in the know can fill in the missing pieces:

Subject: Mark Eaton

Position: Center - "Man in the Middle"

College: UCLA, by way of a JUCO where he was a walk-on after being spotted by a college recruiter while working as an auto mechanic. Possibly cut by "first college team"?

Family: Unknown - anyone? Mother dead/alive, relationship with father, is he married (would seem to suggest he wouldn't be coming out if currently married)?

Injuries: End of career was derailed by knee and back injuries, although none were considered "life-threatening" to my knowledge.

Coaches: Jerry Sloan, you abusive bastard!!!

Childhood: Was he overweight?

Extra Credit: This book is coming out in February. Coincidentally, a movie about Eaton's life and his journey to the NBA is in the works. Perhaps this is will be the gay Rudy story, only that part of the storyline hasn't been revealed yet? (http://nba.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12...ater-near-you/)

Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #74
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
It's really doubtful that it's him, but that's the best I could find so far. He already released his autobiography in 2004.

...which didn't make nearly as much money as this one will!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:11 PM   #75
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Ok, work with me here. I'm sure this is the wrong answer, but maybe some of you in the know can fill in the missing pieces:

Subject: Mark Eaton

Position: Center - "Man in the Middle"

College: UCLA, by way of a JUCO where he was a walk-on after being spotted by a college recruiter while working as an auto mechanic. Possibly cut by "first college team"?

Family: Unknown - anyone? Mother dead/alive, relationship with father, is he married (would seem to suggest he wouldn't be coming out if currently married)?

Injuries: End of career was derailed by knee and back injuries, although none were considered "life-threatening" to my knowledge.

Coaches: Jerry Sloan, you abusive bastard!!!

Childhood: Was he overweight?

Extra Credit: This book is coming out in February. Coincidentally, a movie about Eaton's life and his journey to the NBA is in the works. Perhaps this is will be the gay Rudy story, only that part of the storyline hasn't been revealed yet? (http://nba.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12...ater-near-you/)

You wish Mark Eaton was gay.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Quote:

That was the post I've been waiting to write since the first time I laid eyes on him wearing those 80s basketball shorts.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-26-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #77
wade moore
lolzcat

From wiki -

Quote:
Mark Eaton grew up in Southern California. Despite his height, as a youth he was more interested in playing water polo than basketball. After graduating from Westminster High School, Eaton attended the Arizona Automotive Institute and graduated as a service technician. He worked as an auto mechanic for about three years, and was eventually discovered by Tom Lubin while repairing cars. Lubin was an assistant basketball coach at Cypress Junior College, and his encouragement led Eaton to enroll at Cypress and try out for the basketball team. Eaton developed into a solid junior college player. He averaged 14.3 points and 10.0 rebounds per game in two seasons at Cypress, and led the school to the California State Title as a sophomore.

I just don't think this sounds like some kicked off of his JuCo team.

Quote:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Penny can still play! I do not see why the Griz do not give him a roster spot, just for drawing fans to the game.
You do realize that the NBA is not a wheelchair basketball league, right?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #79
Ksyrup

Quote:
From wiki -

I just don't think this sounds like some kicked off of his JuCo team.

Just because he tried out doesn't mean he made it the first time. Work with me here!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #80
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Penny's knees had forced him to retire completely rather than hang around for years as a third-tier player with an albatross contract, we would think of his as one of the all time "what could have been" players instead of as a punchline.

He was doing things at the beginning of his career that no one had seen.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #81
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

He was doing things at the beginning of his career that no one had seen.

Ah ha!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Somebody's been reading the Mark Eaton fanfic.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #83
digamma
Torchbearer

Alaa Abdulnabi...ok the jet setting star is a stretch.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:37 PM   #84
Ksyrup

Ramon Ramos was in a terrible accident as a player and came from Puerto Rico to the US (Seton Hall), so there could be some wiggle room in there about playing with another college team. However, this comment, if true/up-to-date in his Wiki entry, woudl seem to rule him out:

"Ramos has difficulty walking and doing every day things, and he requires constant supervision by his parents."
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #85
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think I've got it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Amaechi

- The son of a Nigerian father, he was raised in Stockport, England by his English mother.
- Former NBA player, now in England, that makes him jet-setting
- Played for Vanderbilt, then transferred to Penn State - cut?
- Passing reference to a life-threatening injury on this page: http://www.animus-consulting.com/consulting/index.htm
- That page also describes him as "not athletic enough" as a teenager

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-26-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #86
Ksyrup

Dola.

I just want to point out that Ramon Ramos could have had an abusive coach in Puerto Rico or it could have been...

PJ CARELISMO!

Latrell Sprewell was set up us the bomb!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #87
JimmyWint
Mascot

Nick Van Exel....
Lost his Mother Recently......Plus this from Wiki....

Has a scar on his right eyebrow from a traffic accident when he was a teenager...Could have been Life Threatening...

From his Bio...With the name Nickey you have to wonder....

Full name is Nickey Maxwell Van Exel
Enjoys video games, listening to music, playing tennis and golf and going to the movies
Honored with the Chopper Travaglini Award for his generosity in the Denver community
Wears number 31 in honor of Pearl Washington (his favorite college player growing up)
Involved with the National Benevolent Association of the Christian Church
Won the Victor Award for Comeback Player of the Year following the 1997-98 season
His heroes as a youngster were Reggie Theus and Marques Johnson
Majored in sociology at Cincinnati
Leading scorer in the state of Wisconsin as a senior at Kenosha St. Joseph's High (29.8 ppg)
As a senior won the Wisconsin state high school slam dunk contest
Favorite pro teams are the Cubs, Avalanche and Packers
Collects baseball cards, hats and books
His favorite movie of all-time is Friday
JimmyWint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #88
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I think I've got it:

- The son of a Nigerian father, he was raised in Stockport, England by his English mother.
- Passing reference to a life-threatening injury on this page: http://www.animus-consulting.com/consulting/index.htm

Nice! Even a reference to the exact "life-threatening injury" phrase without further explanation, suggesting it isn't what you would think.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM   #89
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I think I've got it:

- That page also describes him as "not athletic enough" as a teenager

Seems like at least a very good guess. How did you come upon him as a guess?

Quote:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #90
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Seems like at least a very good guess. How did you come upon him as a guess?
I googled "NBA" and "life-threatening injury", and he eventually showed up four or five pages in.

Also, I fucked him back in 2002.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I googled "NBA" and "life-threatening injury", and he eventually showed up four or five pages in.

Also, I fucked him back in 2002.

Ah, me too but I didn't find him...

Oh, me too on the first part, not the second .

Quote:
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #92
Butter
Coordinator

Amaechi's English... if it were him, I tend to think this would be big news in Britain, but not so much here.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #93
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently he was once suspended by Utah for a "confrontation" with Jerry Sloan. Abusive?
Old 01-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #94
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I googled Wade Moore and Mapleleafs and Man love with former NBA Player and got his name.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #95
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I googled Wade Moore and Mapleleafs and Man love with former NBA Player and got his name.
You found my blog!
Old 01-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #96
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Five bucks says that it's the NBA player who was supposedly involved with Jermaine "We don't have to take our clothes off" Stewart in the 80's.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:59 PM   #97
Klinglerware
College Starter

http://sport.scotsman.com/athletics.cfm?id=907912002

Quote:
"If you look at our league, minorities aren’t very well represented," noted Briton John Amaechi, of Utah Jazz, who received threats after espousing supposedly-non-traditional values on his personal website. "There’s hardly any Hispanic players, no Asian-Americans, so that there’s no openly gay players is no real surprise.

"It would be like an alien dropping down from space. There’d be fear, then panic: they just wouldn’t know how to handle it."
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #98
wade moore
lolzcat

Wow, I think Maple Leafs may have really hit this one...

Quote:
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #99
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Wow, I think Maple Leafs may have really hit this one...

Literally. Several times.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM   #100
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I actually thought of John Amaechi when I saw Alaa Abdelnaby's name. I'm not sure why, but Amaechi crossed my mind, too. Eerie.