Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #51
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I saw the same type of thing with my cattle the other day.

Your cattle were shopping at Wal-mart?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #52
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

They bent the metal frame around the f'n door. For those crying about "adequate crowd control", what did you want them to do, have the National Guard on stand-by?

You dont need thee National Guard.
You simply wal outside with a mega phone 1 hour before hand and tell everyone to get in a single file line. You ask one by one what "Deal" they are there for and hand out vouchers.

You inform until everyone listens the doors dont open.
Then you let in 10-15 at a time, of course informing people ahead of time how it will happen at exactly 5AM....

Lets not be obtuse and insinuate we need AR-15s to control soccer moms, or basketball moms as HA would have us insist.

Like it or not, the people are responsible for trampling a man, Wal Mart is responsible for the gross negligence that allowed it to happen on their property.

If I fall and break a leg in your yard it is my fault. If I fall in a giant hole you knew was there and covered it with thin twigs and leaves it becomes your fault.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #53
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I saw the same type of thing with my cattle the other day.

Sometimes I seriously believe humans are no better than cattle. Black Friday turns people into cattle.

Well, we actually are animals, so animal behavior shouldn't be unexpected.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:33 PM   #54
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Your cattle were shopping at Wal-mart?

Nope, just stampeding and running each other over. Other than the clear anatomical differences, it would've probably appeared about the same as this was.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #55
tarcone
Coordinator

My wife went to JoAnnes this morning and got there at 7:30. For those that done know, JoAnnes is a fabric store. When she arrived she was greeted with 2 women arguing over fabric. It escalated to the point that one was threatening to call 9-1-1.
What a stupid day. Black Friday. Give me a break.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #56
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
My wife went to JoAnnes this morning and got there at 7:30. For those that done know, JoAnnes is a fabric store. When she arrived she was greeted with 2 women arguing over fabric. It escalated to the point that one was threatening to call 9-1-1.
What a stupid day. Black Friday. Give me a break.

I'm sorry, this kind of makes me laugh. I'm picturing 2 older ladies fighting over a fabric spool. Older, heavyset ladies with blue hair, who are the only people I ever seem to see at my local Jo-Ann's.

But all in all, I agree, Black Friday is silly. I can understand wanting deals, but I have no patience for the stupidity this kind of thing produces.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #57
gstelmack
Pro Starter

It's not like any of this is new, and it's why so many retailers are figuring out how to make it sane. Cabbage Patch Kids anyone?

Cabbage Patch Kids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Used to be huge fights over those at Christmas, some of the earliest fights over toys I remember.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #58
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
It's not like any of this is new, and it's why so many retailers are figuring out how to make it sane. Cabbage Patch Kids anyone?

Cabbage Patch Kids - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Used to be huge fights over those at Christmas, some of the earliest fights over toys I remember.

My father-in-law tells the story of how he won a Cabbage Patch doll for a business drawing and because of that, had to try and buy another one so both daughters could have one. He said, in hindsight he should have just sold the thing because getting the second one was one of the worst experiences of his life.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #59
rowech
Pro Starter

I can't even look at those pictures without having racist thoughts.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #60
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You dont need thee National Guard.
You simply wal outside with a mega phone 1 hour before hand and tell everyone to get in a single file line. You ask one by one what "Deal" they are there for and hand out vouchers.

You inform until everyone listens the doors dont open.
Then you let in 10-15 at a time, of course informing people ahead of time how it will happen at exactly 5AM....

Meanwhile, in the real world...

I love the anachronism in the use of 'thee' - kind of sums it up.

Last edited by AlexB : 11-28-2008 at 06:43 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #61
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Our entire culture has become very disturbing, it is amazing how easy it is to work up the masses into some mindless endeavor. I avoid large crowds for that particular reason because people can be assholes and I have a bad temper.

Last time I was in a line with a friend to get Halo we almost got into a fight because people started pushing. I remember telling my friend that next week the allure would have wore of this wanting to be apart of this midnight launch.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #62
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yeah, let's all stop thinking.

I didn't say stop thinking. Did you see something else?

I just said stop overthinking. React to that. That's fine, but don't change what I actually said or meant, otherwise you look foolish.

I had stuff written here, but I just decided to let it go.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

CU Tiger -- if you think that mob was going to pay attention to anybody with a megaphone you're living in a dream world.

They bitched because the store closed after they killed the guy for God's sake, you think some assistant manager or rent-a-cop was going to do anything?

edit to add: What W-M does need to take a long look at though are the locations they're choosing to open stores in as well as what level of control over their patronage they exert 365 days a year. At least one location in particular comes to my mind in Georgia where it's nothing short of a miracle that the same thing hasn't happened already (parking lot shootings are already pretty commonplace at that one).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-28-2008 at 07:15 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #64
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
CU Tiger -- if you think that mob was going to pay attention to anybody with a megaphone you're living in a dream world.

Depends on the part of the country. Something like that has a higher rate of success probably in more rural parts than urban. In New York City, I'd expect the person talking with the bullhorn to have it rammed up his ass somewhere around 5:01 AM...

But, doesn't matter if everyone 'obeys the horn', all you need is one cock goblin to fuck it up and it turns into a melee over Ishtar.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #65
Mota
College Benchwarmer

It's the herd mentality.

I go to concerts and join in the mosh pits all the time. You get thrown all over the place. I've lost shoes, been elbowed, been knocked over, etc. It happens. You get back up. And it isn't the guy beside you that's doing it, it's the guys 20-30 rows back that are trying to get to where you are (but you're not letting them) that cause all of the ruckus.

You also need to have situational awareness if you're in this kind of crowd. People are banging down the doors, I'm sure it was load and chaotic. If you cannot follow the herd you need to get out of the way. Out of shape, fat people, pregnant women and old people have no right to be in a stampede. If you watch that video the lady that got stampeded was out of shape and couldn't get back up because she was so large. That's asking for trouble. When there's a riot going on and you CHOOSE to take part in it, you have to shoulder part of the blame yourself. Going back to my mosh pit mentality, I have been part of some pits that got scary because people were getting violent. I decided to pull myself out of the situation before I got hurt.

And I do not blame the people for this, I blame the establishment for causing this huge frenzy. Huge marketing, and a limited amount of stock that's been heavily discounted. No crowd control either, when you line them up outside the store and the deals are at the back of the store, you will have total chaos as people knock each other over to be the first ones there. Just look at the sign calling it a Blitz lineup. In FOFC we should all know what a blitz is. Wal-Mart got exactly what they asked for.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #66
Mota
College Benchwarmer

LOL people are so dumb. I just saw an image of a guy fighting a crowd to buy a Sylvania TV.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #67
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Want to make even more people happy? Give your some of your excesses (money, goods, time) to charitable causes this holiday season.

some might say charity doesn't really make anyone happy other than the one doing the donating. some might say charity makes people more dependent. i don't give to charity, that's what my taxes are for. my tax dollars go towards government programs and community projects - i don't need to let my family go without just so i can walk around with a "I'm a good samaritan" button.

i don't think you'll find many people here who'll say "i bought a 42" plasma last year, but because my neighbor Bob just got a 50" plasma i gotta keep up and get a 52". no one is just buying things for the heck of it - not in this crazy market. whatever gifts i buy my wife are coming straight out of my paycheck. i've been forcing myself to live on a $200 a month budget since October just to be able to afford the gifts i want to get my wife. its insulting to have some holier than thou person walk with his head high thinking i'm petty and wasteful cuz i rather sacrifice to get my loved ones nice things instead of hand out dinner rolls in a soup kitchen.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #68
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think the biggest indicator from this story that our society is in a downward spiral is that people want to hold walmart responsible. If this guy were trampled, common sense would dictate that the people who trampled him were responsible. But we have been so trained to look to the deep pocket that we immediately villify walmart instead of holding individuals responsible for their behavior.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #69
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
i don't think you'll find many people here who'll say "i bought a 42" plasma last year, but because my neighbor Bob just got a 50" plasma i gotta keep up and get a 52".

Bob has been flaunting his shit for awhile. You need to buy a 108" and shut that bastard down.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #70
Anthony
Banned

i woke up at 10 to 6am this morning to try to get to Best Buy cuz they had a ridiculous deal on a Toshiba laptop. my wife would've flipped over twice if i got her a laptop (it was $699 and with $220 instant savings they were selling for $379). so i'm on line at best buy, line was moving quickly. but they were letting in people in groups. no stampeding. and they had workers outside along the line kinda keeping a presence, along with workers at the front door to control the number of people walking in. emphasis on the word "walking in" (as opposed to stampeding in). ultimately i didn't go in cuz after 10 min on line and pretty close to the door i struck up a conversation with one of the workers and he said unless i had a ticket to purchase that laptop it was virtually impossible i'd get one, but he pointed out i could "buy a different laptop". with me being on a budget it was either buy that laptop for $379 or not buy it. he told me people started to line up around 1pm on Thanksgiving just to get those tickets. i decided to call it a day and go back home to catch some more sleep before work.

anyway, the point is best buy managed their crowd superbly. the line moved fast and there wasn't a hint of any kind of chaos in the air.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #71
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
I think the biggest indicator from this story that our society is in a downward spiral is that people want to hold walmart responsible. If this guy were trampled, common sense would dictate that the people who trampled him were responsible. But we have been so trained to look to the deep pocket that we immediately villify walmart instead of holding individuals responsible for their behavior.

i was talking about this story with my wife at dinner and i got a little heated trying to comprehend the depraved animalistic mindset people need to be in in order to trample other humans. think about it - we're not talking about the running of the bulls in pamplona here. we're talking about humans. you need to make a conscious decision to actually trample someone. in order to trample someone you have to physically place your foot/feet on the body of a human laying on the ground. seriously - if you were jogging and you didn't see someone was laying on the ground in front of you odds are you'd trip over them and fall. but if you did see them you'd at least have two options - hurdle over them or step on them. so to bring it back to WalMart - this is a situation where seemingly civilized humans (afterall, we're not talking about human-sacrificing Mayans or canabalistic tribes in the Amazon here, i'm assuming these people have learned to use utensils to eat their food) made a dinstinct decision that it was better to step on someone just so they could get [insert item here]. you really gotta have a mass of lowlife people all thinking the same thing in order for that to happen.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post

So you are saying a business could have taken common sense approaches to prevent this sort of thing and didn't and the fact we are calling them on it is a sign of societal downward spiral?! I think its a sign that we as a society are starting to mature. In the past, we may have let Walmart off the hook.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #73
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gee HA, I can't help but wonder if the demographics of the shoppers you found at Best Buy this morning and the Wal-Mart hooligans might be at least a little bit different.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #74
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari Rantanen's Shorts View Post
Meanwhile, in the real world...

I love the anachronism in the use of 'thee' - kind of sums it up.

I think I live pretty heavily in the real world....and I apologize for the double "e" on thee, its one of the few negatives of living with a left ring finger that was surgically re-attached, sometimes it doesnt lift as quick as I might like.

Quote:

They bitched because the store closed after they killed the guy for God's sake, you think some assistant manager or rent-a-cop was going to do anything?

edit to add: What W-M does need to take a long look at though are the locations they're choosing to open stores in as well as what level of control over their patronage they exert 365 days a year. At least one location in particular comes to my mind in Georgia where it's nothing short of a miracle that the same thing hasn't happened already (parking lot shootings are already pretty commonplace at that one).

You are over looking one basic human character trait.
The carrot.
They could get pissed or shove said bullhorn where they wanted, but if it was made clear the store wouldn't open until everyone complied, the mob would have actually corralled the strays so they could get what they want.
I spent the better part of a decade doing professional bouncing and security part time for extra cash. When you go through the psychology, you can actually use a mob to control itself. It is a taught technique that is often employed by law enforcement as well. The group wants something, make the entire group understand that the controllers (out of sight, inside the store or outside the hostage zone in a police setting) will not release it until certain conditions are met. Initially there will be resistance, but soon some and hopefull a majority will decide that the request is reasonably simple enough to warrant the reward, at which point they begin to control the others in a way that one person would be unable to (And while wal mart retiree probably isnt very threatening, 25 soccer moms threatening to bitch slap the 2 that are delaying them gettin' their TVs might just work)

Once a situation decays to a certain point, it no longer works and chaos insues, but if action had been taken early enough this would have neever beeen a problem. I think back to standing in a few lines at BB for PS3s on release day, in one case there were over 300 people hoping for 28 units yet no one was injured, and the mighty security force?

2 pimpled geek squad workers.....

But it was well planned and orderly. They walked out an hour early and started taking names and contact info.
They then announced that only the first 28 would be getting PS3s and the rest would go onto a rain check list and be contacted as more came in. People were down sure but no one got worked into a frenzy. Had they let it build until thee last minute the decision may have beeen very different.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #75
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Gee HA, I can't help but wonder if the demographics of the shoppers you found at Best Buy this morning and the Wal-Mart hooligans might be at least a little bit different.

you would be correct in that assumption. let's put it this way - i wouldn't have gone to the Green Acres Mall Wal-Mart if they were selling laptops for $100. the mall i went to was so safe and unthreatening there was two high school-age girls in front of me on the line by themselves. the "rowdiest" it got this morning was me overhearing some college geeks a few spots behind me making nerd jokes amongst themselves about the people who were walking out of the store with cheap no-name brand hdtvs.

Last edited by Anthony : 11-28-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #76
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
i was talking about this story with my wife at dinner and i got a little heated trying to comprehend the depraved animalistic mindset people need to be in in order to trample other humans. think about it - we're not talking about the running of the bulls in pamplona here. we're talking about humans. you need to make a conscious decision to actually trample someone. in order to trample someone you have to physically place your foot/feet on the body of a human laying on the ground. seriously - if you were jogging and you didn't see someone was laying on the ground in front of you odds are you'd trip over them and fall. but if you did see them you'd at least have two options - hurdle over them or step on them.

If you're in a stampede, your choice is to either

1. step on the person on the ground and continue moving, or
2. fall over, and have the stampede continue over the first person AND you

You don't really have a choice when it comes to this point. There's probably 100 people pushing you in the back and stopping is not an option.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #77
mattlanta
Mascot

Wow, this is very tragic indeed. If they cought the stampede on video, the police or whoever's in charge must of seen the people who were actually causing most of the damage right? Because I'm sure they will be looking for someone... anyone... to blame.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #78
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
If you're in a stampede, your choice is to either

1. step on the person on the ground and continue moving, or
2. fall over, and have the stampede continue over the first person AND you

You don't really have a choice when it comes to this point. There's probably 100 people pushing you in the back and stopping is not an option.

Exactly It's pure mob mentaity and self preservation at that point. If there is no initial order at the door it takes very little to start the inward movement of the group. Once people begin to feel crowded their reaction it to attempt to get clear of this and the only direction for hem is moving forward,as slightly as that may be. This continues and a tsunami of humanity begins. Those at the front are only moving forward because of the force behind them and their only option is to ride that flow or be shoved to the ground and end up as a casualty.

It is something that needs to be addressed by the stores that have these mass hysteria inducing events. Many have already learned to control the crowds but unfortunately not all as this sad and unfortunate event proves.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #79
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

You are over looking one basic human character trait.
The carrot.
They could get pissed or shove said bullhorn where they wanted, but if it was made clear the store wouldn't open until everyone complied, the mob would have actually corralled the strays so they could get what they want.
I spent the better part of a decade doing professional bouncing and security part time for extra cash. When you go through the psychology, you can actually use a mob to control itself.

We're talking about two thousand people here. Some of which bent a door frame to get into the store. Some of which trampled a man to death. Some of which refused to leave the store even after being told they may have played a role in someone's death. If it became obvious to some that the carrot was out of reach because of something out of their control (other people being jackasses) then you'd probably end up with a riot on your hands and you'd have a group of wal mart employees and rent-a-cops trying to control it.

By handing out vouchers in the manner you describe you'd also risk causing fights in the parking lot over those vouchers and any number of other problems.

What you describe could probably work at your average wal mart or best buy or other large store on black friday, but this wasn't the average store. This was an example of one of the extremes and simply standing in front of crowd of 2 thousand and telling them they aren't going to get what they've been waiting in line for 6+ hours for unless they listen to you because you're the one with a bullhorn is a recipe for disaster.

The problem here has less to do with how Wal Mart handled the situation at that store or any other store on this particular day and has more to do with how retailers are desperate for money and hype this one day above all others on the calandar. The fix to this is is actually much simpler than having some kid try to calm a crowd with a bullhorn. They need to turn Black Friday into something that lasts Friday through Sunday, but its not going to happen because the stores thrive on the amount of attention this one day gets.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #80
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I took a quick look at wikipedia just to point out how low our society has gone down since the good 'ole days some people seem to remember....
and...

Nicholas II was crowned Tsar of Russia on May 13, 1896. Four days later, a banquet was going to be held for the people at Khodynka Field. In the area of one town square, theaters, 150 buffets for distribution of gifts, and 20 pubs were built for the celebrations. Nearby the celebration square was a field that had a ravine and many gullies. On the evening of May 17, people who had heard rumours of rich coronation gifts from the tsar (the gifts which everybody was to receive were actually a bread roll, a piece of sausage, gingerbread, and a mug) began to gather in anticipation.
At about 5 o'clock in the morning of the coronation day, several thousand people (some say as many as 500,000) were already gathered on the field. Suddenly a rumour spread among the people that there was not enough beer or presents for everybody. A police force of 1,800 men failed to maintain civil order, and in a catastrophic crush and resulting panic to flee the scene, 1,389 people were trampled to death, and roughly 1,300 were otherwise injured. However these numbers have been greatly exagerated over time and so exact numbers are unknkown.

Yup, these kinds of things never happened in the past it seems. Dumb, greedy (white trash or just poor I guess) modern day Americans invented it.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

you can't seriously have gone back 120 years to try and make a point, thats beyond assanine.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:39 AM   #82
st.cronin
General Manager

Obviously WalMart needs to raise their prices.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #83
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you can't seriously have gone back 120 years to try and make a point, thats beyond assanine.

But the point he was making is that human stupidity is nothing new...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:43 AM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

12 dead in stampede in African Cup soccer qualifying match
1000+ walrusses killed in walrus stampede iBerring straights (I guess it's not a human only event)
31 dead in stampede in Beijing store

345 dead in stampede in pilgrimage to Mecca
74 dead in stampede in Manilla to get into a stadium to see a game show giving away cash

244 dead in stampede in pilgrimage to Mecca

7 dead in stampede in train station to catch a train in Johannesburg

These are just snippets of stampedes which are by no means a "reflection on society". Stampedes have existed throughout history wherever there is a large enough population of people and for one reason or another. Some are out of pure pannick like the one in India where the Temple began caving in or during WW2 trying to get into a bomb shelter. Others have been from anything from a television show, rock concert, shopping store, sportig event, etc...

They are horrible things but hey do happen, and have happened for a long time. It is no reflection on society at all, so some people need to get off their high horse a bit.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so i'm on line at best buy

(ignore crazy person rant below)

Not to pick on HA, since I saw this all over the media yesterday, but this one just drives me nuts. Unless you're at bestbuy.com, you're not "on line", you're "in line". People use that phrase all the time here while I rarely heard it before which leads me to think it's an east coast thing.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #86
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Not to pick on HA, since I saw this all over the media yesterday, but this one just drives me nuts. Unless you're at bestbuy.com, you're not "on line", you're "in line". People use that phrase all the time here while I rarely heard it before which leads me to think it's an east coast thing.

SI

Tune in next week when sterlingice heads 90 miles north to explain to the locals they don't live near "Warshington, DC".
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #87
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
No. it is not. Study a little Psychology and get back to me.
So let's talk about psychology. In crowd psychology there are leaders, followers, innocent by-standers and opponents. Everyone in a crowd plays a role.

That doesn't mean crowds are always "evil." At a football game, the crowd leaders may just lead the wave or a cheer. There were thousands of places across the country yesterday just like this story with a lot of people and no crowd control. So what made this one location different than all the others?

Clearly the only variables are the people involved. I will guarantee you that the people who caused and started this weren't "good" people -- in everyday life, they are people who don't care about anyone than themselves. People who are decent don't get in a crowd and all of a sudden trample people. The leaders in this crowd were world-class douchebags, and so were the people who followed them. I'll wager none of them were selfless, passive people who just got caught up "in the moment."

No doubt most of the crowd didn't know what happened. They were simply by-standers. I haven't read any reports about people in the crowd trying to help but I'll bet some did.

There is no defending the crowd. Defending the crowd is to argue that anytime there is a large group of people without security to line everyone up that it's not the crowds fault if people get killed. Should I simply expect to participated in trampling today at the MU-KU game because there will be a big, emotional crowd and not nearly enough security to control it if the shit hits the fan?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #88
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:

SI

Professor Wayne? Is that you correcting people on the internet?

You sound like my professor is stickler for proper grammar usage. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #89
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
They need to turn Black Friday into something that lasts Friday through Sunday, but its not going to happen because the stores thrive on the amount of attention this one day gets.

Don't matter. You could stretch the sale from Thanksgiving to Christmas, but if you have a limited supply at reduced rates, the crowd will form at the time the sale will start. You could probably stage the sales through the day, but then you'll have crowds around whereever the item is waiting for the time.

As long as there is a limited supply an item and a base that wants that item, things like this are going to happen regardless of it is Black Friday or Wal-mart.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:33 AM   #90
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

SI

I think it's actually a British/European thing? Or maybe a farther south thing? It is amazing all of these "east coast" or "Virginia" or "Southern" things that you mention that I never heard growing up in Virginia.

My mom does say "warsh", though.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All you people throwing up tramplings that happened in other countries ( or other centuries for fucks sake) are missing the point.

In America in 2008 we should be able to treat each other with more respect.

We are not a bunch of uneducated soviet peasants from 1896.

We are no a bunch of possible drunk, rowdy soccer fans whose only joy in their third world lives is their soccer team winning

We are not a group of children in 1883 England trampling people to get possibly the only "gift" they will ever receive in their young lives.

We are not a bunch of Phillapinos rushing into a stadium to try and win cash that could possibly be used to put food on our tables.

We are not a huge gathering of religious fanatics whose lives revolve around making their journey.

In our society a man should be able to open the doors to a store and not be trampled. These people in line were not hungry, poor, needy, drunk or uneducated ( relativly speaking).

They were selfish and inconsiderate. Their only purpose was to save some money so when their January credit card bill rolls in it hurts a little less. They wanted to get the "hot" item first, and killing a man in the process turned into an inconvience for some of them.

Things like this should not happen in our society because of a sale at a Wal-Mart.

That is a sad statement on our society.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-29-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #92
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
Should I simply expect to participated in trampling today at the MU-KU game because there will be a big, emotional crowd and not nearly enough security to control it if the shit hits the fan?

Only if the game is attended by a crowd of similar composition.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #93
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think it's actually a British/European thing?

It's not a British thing. We would say "in line".
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #94
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

It's a NE thing, I say on line also
Old 11-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
We are not a bunch of uneducated soviet peasants from 1896.

Damn, I'm becoming grammar nazi.

But, yeah, soviet anything prior to the 20th century? Is that possible?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:14 PM   #96
sabotai
General Manager

I live on the east coast (NJ represent!) and say "in line". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "on line" when they mean "in line".

Last edited by sabotai : 11-29-2008 at 02:15 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM   #97
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I live on the east coast (NJ represent!) and say "in line". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "on line" when they mean "in line".

It seems new. I've never heard it around here until the last couple of years. Annoys me as much as 'on queue' does.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #98
MJ4H
Coordinator

I can remember hearing "on line" instead of "in line" in the early 90s. It creeps me out, too. Along with "verse" instead of "versus." wtf?
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM   #99
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I worked at Best Buy for one Black Friday, and a Toys 'R' Us for another black friday...I never seen a more pathetic group of people than the black friday shoppers.

Most of them were the kind of people at a grocery store who complain that something rang up at 4 for a dollar when they thought it was 5 for a dollar.

Of course, I could have just been irritated because I had to deal with these mouth-breathers at 5 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

Both sides are to blame. Wal-Mart should have better security. If they can't handle the mob scene, they should call the cops. This isn't a new problem, this happens every year at their stores. It was just a matter of time. They also could have handled out vouchers. You can also make the case that they build up the hysteria too. Fact is, you are responsible for the safety of your employees.

But this kind of behaivor is sick. And while I understand the psychology behind mobs, I do think certain people avoid it. I can tell you for certain that there is no situation that would ever have me doing that shit. This is a sick story and shows how pathetic and superficial our society is. Kill a guy so you can save $30 on a Blu-Ray.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote