Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #51
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha well that probably makes this a no buy for me.

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #52
path12
Coordinator

Getting about 765KB/sec from the main sigames link. Nice!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #53
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I miss being able to give side arrows on the tactics screen, the 4-3-3 I like to use isn't as effective without them.

I'll echo everyone else who says there are a ton of injuries occurring.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #54
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't mean this to rip on Marc or SI, but the problems I'm reading about here are exactly why I wait for a couple of patches before I really start playing. The match engine will go through a lot of tweaks over the next few months, and the crash problems will almost certainly be addressed. Unfortunately, when the full game is released in two weeks or so, these problems may still be there.

I applaud the efforts of the SI team, and it looks like they're really moving forward, so I intend to purchase. I'll just wait until January or February. Don't worry, Marc! You'll get my money!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 AM   #55
path12
Coordinator

I'm not worried about bugs and crashes in the demo. I'm just interested in checking out the new features. I think I'll probably wait until the first patch before buying as well.

Last edited by path12 : 11-02-2008 at 10:38 AM.
path12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #56
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I actually want to start at some real low team who never wins or never expect to wins.. learn the game and then move my way up!

Who would that be?

I started out with the Maidenhead Magpies, mostly because of the name. I know everyone suggests starting with a big club, but I think there's advantages to learning the game with a smaller club because it reduces your tasks in the beginning and you don't deal with having to figure out all the Cups/competitions at the very start. You have no money for a transfer budget and the wage budget is pretty much at the limit, so I'd play through the first couple friendlies with the team you have and get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses. Be sure to move up the better players from the reserves to the senior squad to fill out the roster so you can field the starters and 12 reserves in the friendlies. Once you've played a couple games you can try to cut some guys loose who aren't up to par. You might be stuck with some of them though because of contracts and no one wanting to transfer them in or the team not wanting to pay for to release them on a free transfer. Once you've freed up some wage budget, you can sign a few players to shore up weak spots.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #57
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Maybe. The one that stood out was a 0-0 match just starting the second half. The GK got the ball and just stood there. He held the ball an extremely long time until finally a striker from the other team came up to challenge him, and he kicked it right as he got there. I've seen that in games where a team is ahead and your killing time, but not in a tie game right after half. *shrug*
Depends on the game in question ...

Friendlies that sort of thing is very common as it is in the higher level leagues esp. in say Italy or when there are mismatched teams in the Premiership and the team in question wants to waste time or pull a player out of position ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #58
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
I can't believe I may have to upgrade my video card for a text sim...haha.

The demo isn't allowing me to watch in 3D due to limitations with my current card.

Just to check though - 2d mode is still working ok yeah?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #59
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I applaud the efforts of the SI team, and it looks like they're really moving forward, so I intend to purchase. I'll just wait until January or February. Don't worry, Marc! You'll get my money!

Might I humbly suggest you purchase FMH09 PSP while you wait
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #60
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didnt have any problems with injuries during preseason but I did have a freeze.

Also no problems with a choppy game play

Last edited by MrBug708 : 11-02-2008 at 10:49 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #61
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Might I humbly suggest you purchase FMH09 PSP while you wait

When will this be out. I have a road trip to Nawlins coming around Xmas and this may be just the trick for the road. When did you say?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #62
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Just to check though - 2d mode is still working ok yeah?

Yes the 2D version runs fine...a bit choppy but again, it is likely due to the age of my computer (although I do run XP with over a gig of RAM).

Very good chance I was going to upgrade my graphics card anyway...this just makes me more certain

EDIT TO ADD:
I am really disappointed I can't start a season with Cambridge City now that they were relegated out of Blue Square South. What happened to them last year Marc? Do you still support them?

Last edited by NoSkillz : 11-02-2008 at 11:01 AM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #63
dbd1963
High School JV

I haven't played for a few years, and I have to say, this version is really pulling me in.

Here was a surprise. The last time I played I found it too easy to advance by loading up on coaches to really train your team to best advantage. I tried to add just ONE extra coach, and the board canceled the deal on me. Cheap bastards!
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #64
Flasch186
Coordinator

I found somewhat of a disconnect. after a game in which we lost the wrap up said that the fans we're "disappointed" and booing yet under the 'match confidence' screen it says the fans are still happy in regards to the outcome. I believe this existed last game too and had hoped that they wouldnt contradict eachother going forward.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #65
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
EDIT TO ADD:
I am really disappointed I can't start a season with Cambridge City now that they were relegated out of Blue Square South. What happened to them last year Marc? Do you still support them?

Me too. My first version of wwsm, 2006, I started unemployed and CC offered me the managers job. I accepted the job and led them to promotion to Blue Square Premier while both my starting strikers were injured. I had a striker by the name of Duffy that scored 7 goals in my last 5 matches to carry us to a first place finish.

So, when I bought v08 I started with CC again being familiar with the club and league. Not finding them playable was a big disappointment.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #66
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Ok.. I have to start playing this series.. I mean, I coach soccer and yet I don't fully understand the real soccer leagues..

Where is a good place to start as a n00b?

Quote:
I actually want to start at some real low team who never wins or never expect to wins.. learn the game and then move my way up!

Who would that be?

MR, when you get the full game you could do like I did with my first wwsm, start unemployed (not really an option with the demo capped at 6 months) and wait 'til you are offered a job. If you don't set yourself up with a huge reputaion\experience you will be offered a lower league job.

I liked it because you take over a club in mid-season that is probably struggling or at least not playing up to expectations and also has some history and current player stats to look at to help you evaluate your roster.
This, too me, made it much easier, as trying to go in "cold turkey" and evaluate your team using only ratings you really don't understand can be both time consuming and frustrating.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:56 PM   #67
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Whenever I type something in it will frequently double type the letter even though I just hit it once. It took me a couple minutes to type my name in because it would always add an extra letter like I hit the key twice.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #68
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
seeing A LOT of injuries early. 5 in one match, all 2 weeks +

You must be playing as Boro then. Sounds almost tame.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #69
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Whenever I type something in it will frequently double type the letter even though I just hit it once. It took me a couple minutes to type my name in because it would always add an extra letter like I hit the key twice.

me too, its a real pain in the ass.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #70
MrBug708
Head Coach

I noticed that too! But I figured it was just me typing so fast!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #71
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Who would that be?

I always started with Lancaster.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #72
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yeah, just checked and absurd hardware requirements for a rudimentary 3d view push this to a not considering.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #73
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

System specs..
BFG 8500 gt 512 mb ram
amd 3500+ 2.2 ghz
2 gig ram
xp media center edition

My first impression is I really like the 3d. Not world class graphics but then I wasn't expecting that. But the 3d does a good job of showing a football game in a realistic fashion. I like watching from the elevated camera, really gives a good feel for the spacing and the timing of the passing and players trying to run into space.

I also think the more you watch matches in 3d the more detail your eyes will pick up on. While watching my first, and still only, match played I was only seeing the big picture, ie ball movement and space being created and closed down. Then as the match progressed I started to notice the tackles being made and seeing the fouls just before the ref stopped play. Also noticing fouls that I thought should have been called but the ref let the play go on.

I chose Crystal Palace as my starting place and my first friendly was against CP Baltimore (are they really affiliated with CP?) in Baltimore. Went with the games default 4-4-2 tactic and more or less was dominating play but went in 0-0 at the half. Went to attacking 4-4-2 to start the second half and ended up going down 1-0 when CP Balt. was able to get a pass over the top to their striker who beat my second string GK. Shit, down 1-0 to a low level club! Oh, the shame.

At the 80th minute was able to equalize and then at the 87th minute I had a great goal to take the lead. Ball moving down the left and my left wing caught up to it just as it was getting to the goal line outside the 18yd box. He tried to cross it and I'm thinking from that angle he'll have to bend the ball back into the pitch. He crosses it and it actually went over the top of the net bending back into play where my striker on the far post headed it in for the winner. Coolest FM goal I've ever seen.

I know some don't like the 3d and to each their own but I would have paid just to add this to my wwsm2008 game.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #74
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Yeah, just checked and absurd hardware requirements for a rudimentary 3d view push this to a not considering.

2d is still included. and not sure what the hardware requirements are, but it runs on my laptop, which is like ~1.5 years old
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #75
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Me too. My first version of wwsm, 2006, I started unemployed and CC offered me the managers job. I accepted the job and led them to promotion to Blue Square Premier while both my starting strikers were injured. I had a striker by the name of Duffy that scored 7 goals in my last 5 matches to carry us to a first place finish.

So, when I bought v08 I started with CC again being familiar with the club and league. Not finding them playable was a big disappointment.

And the reason should piss you off.

However, the club was encountering financial difficulties and the club's City Ground was sold to an Isle of Man company called Ross River, which was linked to Brian York, a man who had briefly been a director of the club. The then board announced that it was to scrap the first team and make the reserve team into a feeder for Cambridge United. This prompted the formation of a supporters' trust, who within weeks had taken over the running of the club. The club took Ross River to court, where it was ruled that the club were victims of fraudulent misrepresentation and bribery - the former Chief Executive Arthur Eatham having taken a £10,000 payment from Brian York, though the original deal was not overturned.

In April 2008 the City Ground failed an FA ground inspection. As a consequence Cambridge City were automatically demoted from the Conference South to the Southern League Premier Division, despite the club appealling the decision

The City Ground issue is working through the courts, the most recent decision is that the Club gets to stay there through 2010 rent-free (I think, rent-free), and they get 50% of any profit from the sale/development of the City Ground property (the ground was sold for 2.2 Million pounds, and appraised at 12 million)
Old 11-02-2008, 02:10 PM   #76
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm aware that 2d is still included. There isn't enough new in this series from year to year to warrant a yearly purchase for me. 3d is new enough to warrant it, but the hardware requirements are too steep for me. I don't have 128 MB of video card memory and it isn't upgradeable on my laptop. Therefore, I have no interest.

Seems like a silly amount to require for what it is. Just my opinion.

ETA: between the utter disappointment with FM Live and now this, I'm probably done with this series. Someone come and wake me up when there is a decent american football sim with at least a 2d animated view, I guess.

Sigh.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-02-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #77
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
And the reason should piss you off.

However, the club was encountering financial difficulties and the club's City Ground was sold to an Isle of Man company called Ross River, which was linked to Brian York, a man who had briefly been a director of the club. The then board announced that it was to scrap the first team and make the reserve team into a feeder for Cambridge United. This prompted the formation of a supporters' trust, who within weeks had taken over the running of the club. The club took Ross River to court, where it was ruled that the club were victims of fraudulent misrepresentation and bribery - the former Chief Executive Arthur Eatham having taken a £10,000 payment from Brian York, though the original deal was not overturned.

In April 2008 the City Ground failed an FA ground inspection. As a consequence Cambridge City were automatically demoted from the Conference South to the Southern League Premier Division, despite the club appealling the decision

The City Ground issue is working through the courts, the most recent decision is that the Club gets to stay there through 2010 rent-free (I think, rent-free), and they get 50% of any profit from the sale/development of the City Ground property (the ground was sold for 2.2 Million pounds, and appraised at 12 million)

Well, that really sucks. I've never seen them play other than a few video clips from their sight but it's amazing how a game like FM will get you to the point of actually caring about a team and what happens to them. I hope they can work something out and someday make a comeback.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #78
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They'll find a place to play after 2010 (probably at the Abbey Stadium where Cambridge United play.)..

I'd love to see City back in the Conference (almost as much as I want to see Cambridge United back in the league system)
Old 11-02-2008, 02:46 PM   #79
Flasch186
Coordinator

I do hope the demo is missing some things like the people in the stands (perhaps because of the team Im running....anyone running a big time team and see people in the stands?) Why are the players on the bench all spread apart like they are?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #80
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
When will this be out. I have a road trip to Nawlins coming around Xmas and this may be just the trick for the road. When did you say?

When are you coming to New Orleans? We'll have to get together if I'm not out of town visiting relatives.

As far as the topic goes, I'll also be waiting for the 1st or probably 2nd patch. Last time I purchased, I bought it at release and got burnt out on the problems before the first patch or two came out. The year I was REALLY hooked on this series, I bought it after 2 patches were out and it just was so absorbing. So, I'm going to try to recapture that magic. It also helps that I'll have my new computer around the time that it will be out so that means a lot more countries than I could run now.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-02-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #81
Flasch186
Coordinator

Were coming Dec 19-26 or so with a ton of family so Ill have to let you know whats going on. I know the 19th were actually staying in mobile at the isle of Capri and then coming over the next day. My bro's putting us all up at the four seasons in the French Qtr so were absolutely stoked. I think he's having a surprise wedding.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #82
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

6 freakin injuries in one game. i cant even get my others guys healthy to field a full team now this shit. im down to one striker for the next 3 weeks
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #83
Flasch186
Coordinator

y'know, Marc, the injury thing is kind of shocking. You did have a Beta team right? How was that missed?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 PM   #84
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yeah - the injuries are out of control i'd say - but other than that i like what i see, and i'm confident that can be fixed pretty quickly
Old 11-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #85
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

They were relegated because they failed a ground inspection (didn't come up to scratch) not because of their league position ...

Cambridge City F.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

PS> I have a soft spot for them because I lived locally to them for several years (Royston was just down the road from Cambridge) and I loved how informally setup the club was (you could go along and have a pre-game lunch there and the manager would come in during the lunch and discuss his team selection with you ) ..... however I'm actually a Brighton supporter.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #86
MJ4H
Coordinator

Might I make a suggestion? Add detail levels to the 3d view so that people without the newest video cards and no option to upgrade can play your game.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #87
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'd think MJ4H's suggestion would be pretty do-able - at least in a post-release patch if not in the release-version
Old 11-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #88
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I don't know if this is what you're talking about but in the display and sounds part of the preferences there is an option to select the graphical detail in the 3D match view.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I started out with the Maidenhead Magpies, mostly because of the name. I know everyone suggests starting with a big club, but I think there's advantages to learning the game with a smaller club because it reduces your tasks in the beginning and you don't deal with having to figure out all the Cups/competitions at the very start. You have no money for a transfer budget and the wage budget is pretty much at the limit, so I'd play through the first couple friendlies with the team you have and get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses. Be sure to move up the better players from the reserves to the senior squad to fill out the roster so you can field the starters and 12 reserves in the friendlies. Once you've played a couple games you can try to cut some guys loose who aren't up to par. You might be stuck with some of them though because of contracts and no one wanting to transfer them in or the team not wanting to pay for to release them on a free transfer. Once you've freed up some wage budget, you can sign a few players to shore up weak spots.

Thank you!

Which league are teams like these in?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 PM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
MR, when you get the full game you could do like I did with my first wwsm, start unemployed (not really an option with the demo capped at 6 months) and wait 'til you are offered a job. If you don't set yourself up with a huge reputaion\experience you will be offered a lower league job.

I liked it because you take over a club in mid-season that is probably struggling or at least not playing up to expectations and also has some history and current player stats to look at to help you evaluate your roster.
This, too me, made it much easier, as trying to go in "cold turkey" and evaluate your team using only ratings you really don't understand can be both time consuming and frustrating.

Sounds like a good idea to me.. thanks!

I need to get some demo time in to see if it's a purchase for me.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #91
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
I don't know if this is what you're talking about but in the display and sounds part of the preferences there is an option to select the graphical detail in the 3D match view.

The issue would be whether or not this made it possible to run the mode on older video cards. Just running it in lower detail for people with newer video cards doesn't solve the problem of cutting off a large part of the userbase unnecessarily.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:30 PM   #92
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It has been years since I've followed or even seen a FM game and I was very impressed to see the very immersive screen shots.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #93
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
It has been years since I've followed or even seen a FM game and I was very impressed to see the very immersive screen shots.

Same here.

The last time I played a FM game was probably back in 2004 or 2005. The new screen shots and such look amazing.

I checked out the requirements for my laptop (I doubt I'd play too much on the desktop). I don't think I can run the 3D view, which I can live with, but I was wondering what kind of performance people think I'd have with the following specs:

1.40 GHz Celeron Processor
2 GB Ram

I am not sure if anything else is all that important. The laptop's video card isn't much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #94
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's another new feature: Trial Day. All the out of work players get invites, so you can see em work, and offer them jobs (this is for if you're running a lowerlevel team, a good way to see if there's any talent worth a free transfer)

Old 11-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #95
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, that really sucks. I've never seen them play other than a few video clips from their sight but it's amazing how a game like FM will get you to the point of actually caring about a team and what happens to them. I hope they can work something out and someday make a comeback.

I agree, City was always my choice of lower league team, hoping they can turn it around.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #96
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

they're in 2nd place in their new division, and if they go up, they will make sure that the field is up to FA requirements (the lawsuit took all their time and money)

http://www.cambridgecityfc.com/

here's a YouTube video on it

YouTube - Cambridge City FC Saved
Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #97
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post

Its out the 14th of November I believe ... or thereabouts.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #98
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I get a thrill from watching seeing a well-placed through ball setting up a one-on-one to my striker in the 3D view.

Any tactical tips that you guys have found effective? My defense is really solid but I'm having to rely on corners and free kicks for a lot of my goals.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #99
Flasch186
Coordinator

um, no, ebbsfleet sucks under my tutelage.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #100
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Downloaded and played for about 45 minutes last night. FM09 was always going to be a purchase for me, I passed on ’08, but after playing the demo I’m pretty excited. I’ve only watched 2 games, but the 3D matches are great.

I was a little worried that my machine wouldn’t handle the game, but it seems to be working just fine. Does anyone know if that will change with the full game installed as opposed to the vanilla demo? I usually don’t play with many leagues going, 10-12 at most.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote