Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #51
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Moonlighting? What happened on that one?

rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #52
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
another one would be Moonlighting. Remington Steele too.

(can you tell which decade I watched TV in?)

Yes and yes. Just like Northern Exposure, it seems to always happen when the two main protagonists finally get together. Nothing to write about after that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #53
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf

about midway through, David and Maddie hooked up. Sexual tension, exit stage right. I believe most (all?) of the writers also cut bait somewhere in there too.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #54
miked
College Starter

Out of this world. No way her dad makes that interstellar voyage.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #55
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
about midway through, David and Maddie hooked up. Sexual tension, exit stage right. I believe most (all?) of the writers also cut bait somewhere in there too.

I knew that. I just wondered what happened on the last episode.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:03 PM   #56
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Much of that brilliant show was centered around the antagonistic and sexual tensions between Dave and Maddie. They fought and fought until after a couple of bitch slaps, they become lovers. To me, Moonlighting was brilliant in its clever writing regarding the fourth wall and the parody episodes, like the Taming of the Shrew.

Edit: it was Maddie, not Maggie, wasn't it?

Last edited by Buccaneer : 12-13-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #57
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe not a great show but, I think the ending of St. Elsewhere pretty much tops anything I can think of..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #58
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
The Cosby Show...once the original kids started moving on to college and such, they should have ended it...
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #59
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, just to be the first, I'd like to just add Lost now.

it a sensational show right now.

Five years from now when they are doing special 70s flashback episodes directed by Quentin Tarrantino and introducing new characters played by Ian Zierling and Paris Hilton, I'll be on record as saying I told you so.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
and, just to be the first, I'd like to just add Lost now.

it a sensational show right now.

Five years from now when they are doing special 70s flashback episodes directed by Quentin Tarrantino and introducing new characters played by Ian Zierling and Paris Hilton, I'll be on record as saying I told you so.

You forgot the one where the Harlem Globetrotters visit the island.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #61
Buccaneer
Head Coach

You know, I am probably the only person on this planet that remembers the last episode of That Girl.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #62
Kodos
Resident Alien

And Giligan!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
You know, I am probably the only person on this planet that remembers the last episode of That Girl.

Don't forget Amos 'n Andy. I bet that was a real twist ending!
Old 12-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #64
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Coy and Vance Duke. Enough said.

And, before anyone corrects me, I know they brought Bo and Luke back, but it just wasn't the same.

I remember reading that this whole debacle was a watershed moment for TV actors. Up until this point, the prevailing wisdom was that people tuned in to watch shows--not actors--and that TV producers would lowball actors on popular TV shows. The actors who played Bo and Luke decided to call that bluff and quit the show (I think over a dispute on cuts of merchandise sales or some such). Then the cousins showed up, and everyone hated them. And the executives had to come back to Bo and Luke with their hats in their hands and a big pile of money.

And ever since then, the power has lay with the actors. Which is why the cast of Friends was making something insane like $1,000,000 per episode per actor.

(And why NBC must love a show like Law & Order that managed to break that model).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually really liked Robert Patrick and Anabeth Gish, and I think I would have liked the show more if they had been worked in earlier.

but they dragged the thing on WAY too long, and the story arc was just ridiculous by the end.

Magnum PI would probably be my pick, after X-Files.
I liked Robert Patrick- he did well, they wrote a character he played well, and the season with him and Scully would have been just fine if they weren't fishing in the bottom of the barrel for plots. Gish- I could do without. She just never really had any presence on screen and was a flat and boring character.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #66
Butter
Coordinator

I always felt Manimal had so much more to offer....
Old 12-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #67
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
It's amazing how many great shows jumped the shark towards the end. I guess it's inevitable once the writers leave and you have producers wanting to keep the income stream coming in.

I think of Northern Exposure as a good example. Wonder Years (my favorite show) too, except the finale was good. My wife and I still debate the finale of Quantum Leap. I thought it was a good ending, she didn't. However, I think QL did stay good up until the end unlike Wonder Years, Northern Exposure and many other shows.

I firmly agree with you, Bucc. I thought the ending of QL was quite good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #68
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alias is basically heading this route. I'll second or third or 4th the wonder years. Ending of the show was pretty shite. Doogie Howser was interesting for a bit, but blew by the end as well. The last season of Roseane was shit also.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #69
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I liked Robert Patrick- he did well, they wrote a character he played well, and the season with him and Scully would have been just fine if they weren't fishing in the bottom of the barrel for plots. Gish- I could do without. She just never really had any presence on screen and was a flat and boring character.

SI

it helps that I think she's cute. or at least I did until I realized she was the girl from Mystic Pizza.

and speaking of hot chicks in a TV show (in this case Maura Tierney) another obvious one is Newsradio. Just not the same show after Phil Harman died. For that matter, not that I ever saw an episode, but I assume the John Ritter sitcom would fit the bill as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #70
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked
Out of this world. No way her dad makes that interstellar voyage.

I just froze time.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #71
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think a good ending for X-Files would have been Mulder discovering that Scully was his sister, but he only finds out after he knocked her up. And then the baby is born an alien, thus wrapping up the conspiracy nicely.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-13-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #72
WrongWay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
My love affair with Markie Post goes all the way back to The Fall Guy.

Babylon 5 season 6 was a complete waste.
The Pretender spiraled completely out of controll at the end with Jared's brothers, sisters, dads, mom, clones, child, and whatever else the writer could think of that week.

But, the worst ending off all time has got to be the old Battlestar Galactica 1980 season.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #73
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Alias is basically heading this route. I'll second or third or 4th the wonder years. Ending of the show was pretty shite. Doogie Howser was interesting for a bit, but blew by the end as well. The last season of Roseane was shit also.

How did the Wonder Years end? I don't remember much of it, so I must have tuned out before it finished.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #74
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Off topic, "I Married Dora" redeemed itself at the end.

Anyway, on topic, I'm with oliegirl about "The Cosby Show." The whole Cousin Pam thing was just plain stupid. The show was supposed to be about the Huxtable family, so when the kids started to grow up (and Rudy's moustache started to grow out), there really wasn't much they could do. So they brought Denise's kid Olivia in, and while I'm not a big fan of reviving a show with small children, I thought that was actually halfway decent. Why bring in a teenage cousin or something who was supposed to learn how to live with a rich family? It was pretty dumb. Ultimately, though, I think they just ran out of ideas with that show and had to wrap it up. I understand how popular it was throughout its run, but there was nowhere else they could go with it.

I don't remember having watched many other shows toward the end, but from the ones I do know, "Quantum Leap" was all right. My sister watched the show a lot more than I did, and she was happy with the final episode up until the "revelation" text faded in at the end of the show. She wasn't so happy after that. Also, I had intended to watch the last episode of "Roseanne" even though I hadn't watched for about three seasons before that. I didn't actually learn what happened in those last couple of seasons until years later, and I'm glad I missed it all. I saw one of those final episodes in syndication, and I was stunned at how silly it got. I don't remember much about the end of "Night Court", but I do remember that show getting very bizarre in the last couple of seasons (I just saw that plotline with the "Phantom of the Courtroom" thing on TV recently). Since I don't remember it well, I'd love to see how that series ended again, even if it did flounder.

Off topic again, I haven't watched a TV series regularly in several years, and not much sticks with me about the ones I did watch. I do remember that "ALF" got a raw deal at the end (ended on a cliffhanger, and they wrapped it up with some silly TV movie several years later). I thought the last episode of "Head of the Class" was a joke. The last season of "Becker" was a bust because they tried to erase the cliffhanger from the year before.

I think I'm the only person who actually really liked "Becker", though, so who cares.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #75
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay

Babylon 5 season 6 was a complete waste.
What happened in Season 6? I thought there were only five seasons....I do think that the last season sort of fell off in terms of plot line and the general "greatness" found in the earlier seasons was only sparingly apparent.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 12-13-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #76
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,

No mention of ER yet?

Oh are we only talking about great shows?
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #77
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

"Sledgehammer" had the worst cliffhanger resolution that I can remember.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #78
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
Dola,

No mention of ER yet?

Oh are we only talking about great shows?

Well, when are they finally going to get to the end?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #79
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Little House on the Prairie ended badly.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #80
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
The last season of "Becker" was a bust because they tried to erase the cliffhanger from the year before.

I think I'm the only person who actually really liked "Becker", though, so who cares.

What happened there? I liked it for a while, but then I just sort of got tired of the character and didn't follow it for it's final couple of seasons.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #81
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
How did the Wonder Years end? I don't remember much of it, so I must have tuned out before it finished.

Reflecting on how everyone eventually grows up and how childhood comes to an end, Kevin and Winnie have one last passionate day together before going their separate ways once and for all. Winnie goes to Europe to study art, while Kevin stays in the States, gets married, and has a son. The two write to each other for eight years. Kevin's father dies of a heart attack, and his brother takes over the family business. The fates of many supporting characters are resolved, and the narrator (adult Kevin) tells us: "Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back, with wonder."

To me, it just seemed awful rushed. Anyways.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #82
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
I knew that. I just wondered what happened on the last episode.

If I recall, the last episode had the usual storyline about a case and during the middle of a scene in their office, the production crew came and started to dismantle the set around them. The actors were left staring at one another and at the cameras. That left them standing on a sound stage when someone came up and told them it's over, go home. It was that kind of series.

I just thought of one of the worse debacles ever: The Pretender. This was a show my wife was hooked on and I tried to follow. It had one of those sexual tensions things but the whole series was centered around finding clues about who and why. When the finale came and nothing was really resolved (just more clues), there was an outcry from fans. After a couple of years (I think), they relented and produced a 2-hour movie wrapping things up...except they botched it completely and ended up leaving more questions than answers.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #83
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(I like catching Becker in syndication if that makes you feel any better )

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #84
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Little House on the Prairie ended badly.

No way!!! They got to blow up the entire town!!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #85
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Reflecting on how everyone eventually grows up and how childhood comes to an end, Kevin and Winnie have one last passionate day together before going their separate ways once and for all. Winnie goes to Europe to study art, while Kevin stays in the States, gets married, and has a son. The two write to each other for eight years. Kevin's father dies of a heart attack, and his brother takes over the family business. The fates of many supporting characters are resolved, and the narrator (adult Kevin) tells us: "Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers, the next day you're gone. But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place, a town, a house like a lot of other houses, a yard like a lot of other yards, on a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is, after all these years, I still look back, with wonder."

To me, it just seemed awful rushed. Anyways.

That still is one of the greatest ending narratives of all time, though. I get a lump in my throat just reading that again. I remember my little brother telling me that when it aired, he lost it when it mentioned that his dad died.

I have always been amazed at how perfect Daniel Stern was narrating the show when he's such a goofy guy. Just the right balance of humor and sincerity.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:26 PM   #86
Kodos
Resident Alien

It upset me that he ended up without Winnie...
Old 12-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #87
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

Winnie had always been more of a risk-taker and a dreamer, so going off to study art seems just right. Kev seemed to be more of a domesticated person, wanting to be around and start a family. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #88
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
What happened there? I liked it for a while, but then I just sort of got tired of the character and didn't follow it for it's final couple of seasons.

In the final episode of the next-to-last season, Reggie kissed Becker. For some reason which nobody has been able to explain, the producers fired Terry Farrell before they started shooting the next season, so the Reggie character just disappeared. All of a sudden, Chris (Nancy Travis) had taken over the diner and became Becker's girlfriend. Given what had happened before, my guess is that Becker was supposed to try to choose between Chris and Reggie, but after Reggie vanished and was never mentioned again, the whole thing with Chris just seemed kinda "blah." I still thought the show was funny, but I missed Reggie, and I think they'd gotten rid of Bob, too. As annoying as Bob was, he cracked me up. Anyway, Ted Danson was pretty upset that the show got cancelled, because he was really looking forward to doing another year or two. The show wasn't supposed to end when it finally did, but CBS didn't want it anymore.

This is the only sitcom that I watch with any regularity in syndication. I used to watch "Seinfeld" and "Frasier" just about every night, but I got burned out on those. There are still episodes of "Becker" that I haven't seen, so when I catch it once or twice a week, I'll watch it. I don't know why I like that show so damn much.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #89
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I just thought of one of the worse debacles ever: The Pretender. This was a show my wife was hooked on and I tried to follow. It had one of those sexual tensions things but the whole series was centered around finding clues about who and why. When the finale came and nothing was really resolved (just more clues), there was an outcry from fans. After a couple of years (I think), they relented and produced a 2-hour movie wrapping things up...except they botched it completely and ended up leaving more questions than answers.

Yeah, i was gonna mention that. Really good TV until the end, when they botched it.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #90
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
No way!!! They got to blow up the entire town!!!!

I got seriously creeped out when they were blowing stuff up because a piece of wood flew dangerously close to the camera, and I thought it was going to come through the TV and kill me.

I was about 19 when I finally saw that episode.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #91
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Seriously (about blowing up the town)?
Old 12-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #92
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Seriously (about blowing up the town)?

Seriously. Some guy came along and said he owned all the land in the town, and tried to force everyone to move out so he could keep all the stuff they'd built for a nice profit. But the town folks got revenge by blowing up all the buildings, since he only owned the land. I bet the writers had a blast writing that episode.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #93
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Off topic, "I Married Dora" redeemed itself at the end.

How did this show end? I think I stopped watching after episode 2.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:53 PM   #94
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
That still is one of the greatest ending narratives of all time, though. I get a lump in my throat just reading that again. I remember my little brother telling me that when it aired, he lost it when it mentioned that his dad died.

I have always been amazed at how perfect Daniel Stern was narrating the show when he's such a goofy guy. Just the right balance of humor and sincerity.

Hey, I loved the ending too - great stuff.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #95
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Was that before or after he was killed by Jane March?

I though I was the only one who rememberd that movie.

Stupid, stupid, stupid... but it had some redeeming things.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #96
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Ditto this as well. I understood the narrative and was impressed by it, but that part depressed me slightly. I understand Bucc's point, but damnit - Kevin Arnold should have ended up with the girl next door.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:04 PM   #97
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729
How did this show end? I think I stopped watching after episode 2.

I'm not falling for that one!!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM   #98
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. I think it was realistic for them to not end up together, and I thought the episode was well done, but it was disappointing to have invested all that time thinking they'd be together. To me, it hurt worse than his father dying. She was his childhood dream. You almost took for granted that they would end up together.

The whole scene in the barn where they've been fighting, and they slowly come to the realization that it's not going to work out between them -- it was just gutwrenching. I guess maybe it hit me because I had a couple "girl who got away" type things in high school and college. Girls who I wanted to be with for years but that things just never worked out between us. I guess that's why it would have been nice to see one of those stories that you got emotionally invested in end happily. But I certainly wouldn't lump The Wonder Years in with shows that ended poorly.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #99
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I liked Shawnee Smith's breasts, if that counts for anything.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:25 PM   #100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Reading this thread makes me realize that I really have no idea how many of the shows I once watched (to some extent or another) eactually ended.

While I watched Seinfeld religiously, I happened to be out of town or something the day the finale ended. I heard quite a few negative reviews and so I never bothered to watch the finale, though I had taped it.

I thought the finale of Star Trek the Next Generation was excellent. A beautiful 2 hours of TV, even if the final season of the show was wildly uneven. Many bad/stupid episodes in there, though a few decent ones.

I wasn't thrilled with the way Buffy The Vampire Slayer ended. It was a bit rushed and they added all of these annoying characters which only served to detract from the core. Spike become a boring burden. All in all, things started to unravel in Season 5, though there were still some great episodes and moments in the last 3 seasons, all in all the ending didn't hold up well.

Angel is a different story. The show completely bottomed out in Season 4. So much stupidity there, but then the show righted the ship and was really pretty good and interesting in Season 5 (not thrilled with the whole Illyria/Fred thing). I thought the finale was quite excellent. They killed off Wesley and Lindsey. I loved Lorne's ending. Gunn was a goner. And I liked the final message of the show.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote