Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #51
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

- The on-court play diagrams are also a great addition. I think most people are like me in that they want to call plays but they hate having to memorize all the steps it takes to run a play correctly, especially with the large number of plays that are in the game. The on-court play diagrams make it extremely easy to run a play and will allow you to play exactly like your team would in real life.

This is huge for me as i'm one of those lazy guys who can't remember all the moves for every play. I have prerdered it already.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
EF,

You are making me want to open my wallet and rush out to pick up a 360.

How is the franchise mode (it would be cool if the draft lottery and draft had a whole process, ect.)? You can import players for the college game to NBA 2k8?

When does College come out?

The franchise mode was good last year, but my biggest gripe was that you could sign FA's before the AI even started bidding. That has been fixed. There is an unveiling of the lottery, it's nothing earth shattering, but it's decent. The draft is ok, nothing spectacular. The AI seems solid in the draft, but not a lot of presentation. Hopefully, those things get improved next year. However, the stats are very good and overall, I'd say NBA 2k7 has the best franchise mode of just about any console sports game. Yes, you can import players from College Hoops, although there have been glitches in previous versions with this process (guys changing color, guys changing appearance in other ways, etc.) College Hoops should be out in mid November, and from what little has leaked out, it sounds like they have made some huge improvements to that as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #53
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
This is huge for me as i'm one of those lazy guys who can't remember all the moves for every play. I have prerdered it already.

Me too. At most I'd remember 2 or 3 plays and run them when I didn't just freestyle. This is a huge addition for me.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #54
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My busted 360 should be arriving at the repair center in Texas today. I'm hoping for a miracle and that they get a replacement to me next week. Not bloody likely. I would be all over this game on release day if my 360 hadn't died.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #55
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Me too. At most I'd remember 2 or 3 plays and run them when I didn't just freestyle. This is a huge addition for me.

Add another person to agree here. I can't remember all of the plays and usually ended up trying to set a pick when I wanted a specific guy to get a shot off. This is going to make things A LOT easier on me.

Note: For those who have never played the series, this is not a game where you can just have your star take 45 shots and win. You'd better move the ball around and take good, open shots. If you don't, your winning percentage will rival the Blazers last year.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #56
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The franchise mode was good last year, but my biggest gripe was that you could sign FA's before the AI even started bidding. That has been fixed. There is an unveiling of the lottery, it's nothing earth shattering, but it's decent. The draft is ok, nothing spectacular. The AI seems solid in the draft, but not a lot of presentation. Hopefully, those things get improved next year. However, the stats are very good and overall, I'd say NBA 2k7 has the best franchise mode of just about any console sports game. Yes, you can import players from College Hoops, although there have been glitches in previous versions with this process (guys changing color, guys changing appearance in other ways, etc.) College Hoops should be out in mid November, and from what little has leaked out, it sounds like they have made some huge improvements to that as well.

Let me know how the 28k version compares.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #57
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let me know how the 28k version compares.

Will do. I'll probably get to it fairly quickly since I suspect I'll be simming quite a bit of the 1st season with my Sixers needing so much work to build them into a team that can be somewhat competitive.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 AM   #58
Terps
College Prospect

Traded in Madden, APF, and MLB The Show on LionGames.com, got ~$80 in trade in credit, got NBA 2K8 paid for with that, and still $12 owed to me after shipping.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #59
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Will do. I'll probably get to it fairly quickly since I suspect I'll be simming quite a bit of the 1st season with my Sixers needing so much work to build them into a team that can be somewhat competitive.

Sounds like a good dynasty report.

Just curious, do you have next-gen systems?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-27-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #60
Icy
Pro Starter

nice, the Ps3 demo will be out in today's PSN update, looking forward to try it while i wait for the game to be shipped to Spain. Btw, it seems to be out in some USA/Canada stores as reported in OPS forums.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:26 PM   #61
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
nice, the Ps3 demo will be out in today's PSN update, looking forward to try it while i wait for the game to be shipped to Spain. Btw, it seems to be out in some USA/Canada stores as reported in OPS forums.

I always want to be the one who finds the big deal early and gets the game a week before anyone else. I never, ever do.

At least being the reviewer means I get a game like NBA 08 a week early. Have to finish the review on that tonight if I can stop laughing long enough to type it.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #62
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I always want to be the one who finds the big deal early and gets the game a week before anyone else. I never, ever do.

At least being the reviewer means I get a game like NBA 08 a week early. Have to finish the review on that tonight if I can stop laughing long enough to type it.

At least you can buy the game in the release day, i need to wait an extra week to have the game shipped to Spain from the Canada online store that ships it. It's really hard to wait a week for it while you guys start to write here about how good it is

Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM   #63
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like a good dynasty report.

Just curious, do you have next-gen systems?

Only a 360. I'll probably be getting a Wii for Christmas. You know me and dynasties...
Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When does College come out?

OS just posted their first preview of College Hoops 2k8:

http://features.operationsports.com/...game=ch2k8indc

A few summary points:

- It will have all of the NBA 2k8 improvements such as diagrams on the floor, the bars to show where guys can shoot effectively from, etc.

- It will allow you to create your own plays.

- Maximum passing in which you can press different buttons to dictate a chest pass, bounce pass, lob pass, lead pass, etc. This is being touted by the previewer as adding an unprecedented level of control to the game.

- New home team momentum system called the "6th man" that can be countered with judicious timeouts as well as just by the visiting team playing well and scoring.

- It will run at 60 fps on both the 360 and the PS3.

- No PAL version as 2k doesn't feel there is enough of a market outside of the USA.

- There no longer is a need for roster transfer devices as 2k states that both 360 users and PS3 users will be able to upload and download rosters, created plays, and created chants.

- The game is due out in "mid November."

There is a lot more information at the above link on OS.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #65
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
OS just posted their first preview of College Hoops 2k8:

http://features.operationsports.com/...game=ch2k8indc

A few summary points:

- It will have all of the NBA 2k8 improvements such as diagrams on the floor, the bars to show where guys can shoot effectively from, etc.

- It will allow you to create your own plays.

- Maximum passing in which you can press different buttons to dictate a chest pass, bounce pass, lob pass, lead pass, etc. This is being touted by the previewer as adding an unprecedented level of control to the game.

- New home team momentum system called the "6th man" that can be countered with judicious timeouts as well as just by the visiting team playing well and scoring.

- It will run at 60 fps on both the 360 and the PS3.

- No PAL version as 2k doesn't feel there is enough of a market outside of the USA.

- There no longer is a need for roster transfer devices as 2k states that both 360 users and PS3 users will be able to upload and download rosters, created plays, and created chants.

- The game is due out in "mid November."

There is a lot more information at the above link on OS.

No create-a-recruit sucks, but I never used it, so I won't miss it.

Create-a-play will be great, though. I always look for plays to get the ball to my shooters off screens and my post players isolated on the blocks with a good shooter to kick out to. Now, I can put in some.

Man, I need to get a 360 so I can pick up CH2K8, NBA2K8, and NCAA2K8. Oh, and maybe Halo 3....maybe.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #66
Icy
Pro Starter

WOW just played the PS3 demo and i'm really amazed. The framerate is incredible, looks way more fluid than 2k7. I like also how the post moves look easier to make this year. I love also the bars that tell you how good is your player shooting from that position. I can only dream about a franchise without any big bug and i'm going to be in heaven.

Can't wait for the full game, i'm going to be so jaleus at you USA guys that will get it a week before me.

Last edited by Icy : 09-27-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #67
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Sports gamer blog.. now has a forum.

If you head over.. there are impressions from someone who has the retail game.

Just thought I'd pass it on to you EF:

http://forums.sportsgamerblog.com/viewtopic.php?t=67
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:42 PM   #68
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The Sports gamer blog.. now has a forum.

If you head over.. there are impressions from someone who has the retail game.

Just thought I'd pass it on to you EF:

http://forums.sportsgamerblog.com/viewtopic.php?t=67

Thanks for the link, but that guy posting in the 2nd thread actually thinks there is a competition between live and NBA 2k8? Insane. Live may have made some strides, but it was so putrid last year that I don't see how it can be even close to NBA 2k8. I probably won't get to play it until Thursday or Friday night, but I can't wait.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #69
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the link, but that guy posting in the 2nd thread actually thinks there is a competition between live and NBA 2k8? Insane. Live may have made some strides, but it was so putrid last year that I don't see how it can be even close to NBA 2k8. I probably won't get to play it until Thursday or Friday night, but I can't wait.

I'm not into pro ball, so I didn't read it.. sorry.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:17 PM   #70
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

Strangly, I'm hearing some amazing things about Live this year. The demo actually wasn't horrible. I can't see how in hell it'll be close to 2K, but I am hearing a lot of positive buzz from some pretty unexpected places. I'm actually intrigued. (No, not enough to buy the game. I'll be playing NBA2K8 til late at night on Tuesday.)
Old 09-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #71
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Strangly, I'm hearing some amazing things about Live this year. The demo actually wasn't horrible. I can't see how in hell it'll be close to 2K, but I am hearing a lot of positive buzz from some pretty unexpected places. I'm actually intrigued. (No, not enough to buy the game. I'll be playing NBA2K8 til late at night on Tuesday.)

If Live made huge leaps, that just makes me hate the NFL exclusivity deal even more. It will show that EA can put forth huge improvements when properly motivated, which I'm sure they might have been since NBA 2k7 outsold Live, which I believe is the first time that has ever happened.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 PM   #72
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
If Live made huge leaps, that just makes me hate the NFL exclusivity deal even more. It will show that EA can put forth huge improvements when properly motivated, which I'm sure they might have been since NBA 2k7 outsold Live, which I believe is the first time that has ever happened.

Hell, they have the NCAA license and put forth a solid product this year.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:53 PM   #73
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

No need to worry. After some of the early impressions on OS, it looks like a typical EA game. One guy said he played against the Celtics and Rondo lit him up for 25, while KG went 1-2 for three points.

I still hate that NFL exclusive deal. Forget the competition. . . there is no doubt in my mind 2K would have had a superior game afte 3 full years in development. That deal just sucks for everyone.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #74
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
No need to worry. After some of the early impressions on OS, it looks like a typical EA game. One guy said he played against the Celtics and Rondo lit him up for 25, while KG went 1-2 for three points.

I still hate that NFL exclusive deal. Forget the competition. . . there is no doubt in my mind 2K would have had a superior game afte 3 full years in development. That deal just sucks for everyone.

When does the NFL license deal expire?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:17 PM   #75
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Probably just message board plants.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #76
Icy
Pro Starter

Preorder status: Shipped

WOOOOT! Now to wait a full week for the pack to come to Spain

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #77
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
When does the NFL license deal expire?

Never, I bet EA signs it up for a long time the next opportunity they get.

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 10-01-2007 at 06:01 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #78
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life View Post
Never, I bet EA signs it up for a long time the next opportunity they get.

I'm afraid they will as well.. However, the current deal expires in 2010.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #79
Galaxy
Coordinator

2k Sports should just lock up the other three sports and the NCAA license, just to piss them off.

I never want to see that however.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #80
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Saw this on the Sports Gamer forum:

Quote:
Just played a 9 min. quarter game on NBA Live '08 against the Heat on All-Star.

Wade, 12 shots
Shaq, 8 shots
Jason Williams, 42 shots

Ummmmm, maybe next year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #81
heybrad
Norm!!!

I will be purchasing NBA2K8 at lunch today and then spending the rest of my work day thinking of ways to go home early.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:58 AM   #82
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

White Chocolate got skillz, yo.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 PM   #83
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Picked up the game earlier, played around with it a bit and then simmed through an association season with the Blazers to see how it worked -- it seems deep but I already found a potential game stopping (atleast career wise) bug. The team finished 31-51, second to last in the entire league and we still made the playoffs. We also got reward points for winning the division, which we were dead last in.

That was the first and only season I've done yet, so maybe it's a freak occurance but it doesn't exactly instill confidence into the franchise mode for me.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #84
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think White Chocolate would easily fire up 43 fastbreak threes if given the opportunity. Maybe the AI is better than we think?

I'll be down for some H2H action on live tonight if anyone is interested(10pm or later).

waldorfsalad
Old 10-02-2007, 02:18 PM   #85
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
Picked up the game earlier, played around with it a bit and then simmed through an association season with the Blazers to see how it worked -- it seems deep but I already found a potential game stopping (atleast career wise) bug. The team finished 31-51, second to last in the entire league and we still made the playoffs. We also got reward points for winning the division, which we were dead last in.

That was the first and only season I've done yet, so maybe it's a freak occurance but it doesn't exactly instill confidence into the franchise mode for me.
Well, this is discouraging.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:22 PM   #86
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That is very odd. There weren't any noticable bugs like that last year. I'm still looking forward to trying this out on Thursday which is the first day I'll have the free time as Mrs. EF's birthday is tonight.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #87
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

That bug is also being reported on OS. However, some people are reporting it doesn't happen to them. If it is a sporadic or inconsistent bug, I imagine it might be difficult to track down.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #88
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Having done another season (a completely new association) it didn't happen again - so maybe I just got unlucky enough to run into it on the very first try.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #89
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. Guys at OS get really worked up about shoe colors, sock lengths, missing equipment.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #90
TroyF
Coordinator

Yikes. . . that's horrific.

But. . . I'll still buy the game. The gameplay is so freakin good. Hope they get this fixed.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #91
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Having done another season (a completely new association) it didn't happen again - so maybe I just got unlucky enough to run into it on the very first try.

I wonder what would happen if you saved it about a week before the end of the playoffs and then ran it through 5 or 6 times. Does it do it sometimes and not others? If that's the case, it could be a fairly easy fix. If it's something during the season that causes it that makes it entirely random, it's gonna suck.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They probably could make a decent amount of money with "shoe packs" and "alt jersey" packs for this type of game. I think people would pay for downloadable content like that.

Oh, and now that they did the "All Pro" concept for football, it would be great if they would do it for Basketball. Even if it was just a budget title, it would still be great to have gold/silver/bronze legends available.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #93
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if you saved it about a week before the end of the playoffs and then ran it through 5 or 6 times. Does it do it sometimes and not others? If that's the case, it could be a fairly easy fix. If it's something during the season that causes it that makes it entirely random, it's gonna suck.

I'm not really sure, since it happened on the very first try I didn't think it would be hard to duplicate and didn't think to save it. I'd like to see it duplicated for a fix, but maybe it's just one of those sun aligned with the moon and the wind blowing in a certain direction kinda things, and it never happens again.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #94
Calis
College Starter

Just picked up my copy. Excited to fire it up.

So I was anxious about the game this afternoon at work, but most every site is blocked...but I could get to the official 2k forums, and I wished I hadn't. It seemed about every other thread was a complaint about 2k consistently bringing "weak shoe" game, and things along those lines. On top of that I could even understand 90% of the posts. I don't think I'm "balla" enough for those forums.

Pretty discouraging about that franchise bug though, I hope I don't run into that. Although it's highly unlikely I'll actually make it through a whole season before deciding to switch teams. I'm a fantasy draft addict when it comes to basketball games. I just have to continuously do it.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #95
Icy
Pro Starter

That bug is really weird, i really hope it's a rare issue and that only happends if you fast sim a full season, that i won't ever do as i enjoy playing the games.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:55 PM   #96
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Just picked up my copy. Excited to fire it up.

So I was anxious about the game this afternoon at work, but most every site is blocked...but I could get to the official 2k forums, and I wished I hadn't. It seemed about every other thread was a complaint about 2k consistently bringing "weak shoe" game, and things along those lines. On top of that I could even understand 90% of the posts. I don't think I'm "balla" enough for those forums.

Pretty discouraging about that franchise bug though, I hope I don't run into that. Although it's highly unlikely I'll actually make it through a whole season before deciding to switch teams. I'm a fantasy draft addict when it comes to basketball games. I just have to continuously do it.

I've never understood the "Oh my God, his shoe isn't right, his sock length is so off, his tatoo is on the wrong spot on the arm, etc." attitudes. Just tell me it plays like it always has with the new tweaks. That's all I want to see. And see I will in about five minutes.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #97
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Just as a warning:

There is a glitch where the computer starts intentionally fouling at the end of the game and it doesn't react appropriately. It seems to be triggered by going into Blacktop mod and then playing a regular game afterwards. So you might want to avoid Blacktop mode for the time being. Beluba on OS has already said that 2ksports is aware of the issue now, and that they have started work on a patch to address it (as well as any other issues that can be fixed that get reported.)
Old 10-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #98
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Just as a warning:

There is a glitch where the computer starts intentionally fouling at the end of the game and it doesn't react appropriately. It seems to be triggered by going into Blacktop mod and then playing a regular game afterwards. So you might want to avoid Blacktop mode for the time being. Beluba on OS has already said that 2ksports is aware of the issue now, and that they have started work on a patch to address it (as well as any other issues that can be fixed that get reported.)

So it sounds like it is getting fixed? All the bugs?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #99
Groundhog
Coordinator

I have a lot more faith that 2K will fix the bugs quicker than EA "fixes" theirs.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #100
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I heard in NBA Live that Josh McRoberts is rated an 89 while Oden is a 79. Can't confirm but if so, that's hilarious.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote