Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #51
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Isolated to organized religion. Yes. We all have our flaws. Some greater than others. I look down on the belief, not the person(for the most part). I had/have friends who are Christians and family members who are Catholic. We know where we stand and get along fine.
Ascribing behaviors to an entire group of people is intellectually lazy and dangerous on many levels. It seems like you recognize that, however. At least you are being honest there.

Anyway - there are many, many different sects of Christianity - I think anyone would be wise not put them all under the same tent.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 09-12-2005 at 02:56 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:56 PM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Would now be an inappropriate time to post the lyrics to the the song "New Orleans" from the musical "Streetcar!" starring Marge Simpson and Ned Flanders?
Sure it would be, but it goes with the timbre of the thread, so here they are!

. Long before the Superdome,
. Where the Saints of football play,
. There's a city where the damned call home,
. Hear their hellish rondelet:
. New Orleans!
. Home of pirates, drunks, and whores...
. New Orleans!
. Tacky, overpriced souvenir stores...
. If you want to go to hell, you should take a trip
. To the Sodom and Gomorrah of the Mississip':
. New Orleans!
. Stinking, rotten, vomiting, vile...
. New Orleans!
. Putrid, brackish, maggotty, foul...
. New Orleans!
. Crummy, lousy, rancid and rank...
. New Orleans!

The commentary on the DVD about this episode is wonderful. Plus, all their talk about the lyrics in their songs... great stuff. The Simpsons DVDs are one of the few that are well worth their money- the commentaries are great or at least seasons 1-4. 5 is a little iffy as the writers turned over and there are some people just doing their first commentaries who aren't as good and I haven't seen 6 yet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-12-2005 at 02:57 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #53
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Pastor Bennett says, "Anybody that's ever visited New Orleans, the very name its self - Big Easy - denotes that it's easy to find sin there."

Pastor Bennett says the sign, is a sign of the times. "The purpose of the sign is to wake American up to the fact that America is going away from God. New York City's 9/11 was a call of judgment and New Orlean's horrible incident was judgment on a wicked city."

"If I was doing it to hurt people I would take it down, but I'm not doing it to hurt people. I'm doing it to point out the sins of America," said Bennett.

Someone care to point out the part where this pastor is condemming all residents of New Orleans as evil and wicked people who are going to hell?

For those who believe in God, we believe that things happen for a reason. Yes, there are pyhsical conditions in nature that cause a hurricane but religious people believe there is a higher power at work as well. Why did so many hurricanes miss New Orleans in the past? Why did this one hit? For those who don't believe, they'll draw it up 100% to nature and science but for those who do have religious faith - they might take into account a greater power at work and that this one hit New Orleans for a reason.

I'm sure there are many priests and pastors and deacons that are drawing similar parallels in their churches - telling their congregations that this horrific disaster is a sign that you never know when your hour will come and that you should be sorry for the things you have done wrong and committ yourself to doing better from this day on. I see nothing where this pastor is praising God for the city flooding and people dying. I see him making a point that New Orleans is a place where sin is on display and embraced with things like Mardi Gras and to tell his congregation to let what happened be a warning to them to change their lives like the story of Sodom and Gommorah in the Bible.

I agree that its unfortunate that people who hate religion will be quick to jump on it and run with it. Ah yes, all religious people are nutjobs and are celebrating that people died, right? Or are all religious people nutjobs because they can believe in something without having physical proof and/or reason staring them in the face? Having religious faith means you believe in a higher power - you believe in signs from God so some religious people are going to look at this as a sign - as a warning and reminder that God wants them to change their ways before they are faced with tribulations or even death in their own life. I fail to see the part where the religious nutjobs are dancing in the pews because people in New Orleans are dead - if someone would care to point that out I'd be happy to reconsider my thoughts.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #54
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
In short, they were wicked cities that the Lord smote because they were so wicked. The story is most well known because the Lord was saving Lot and his family by telling them to get the heck out of Dodge before the bullets started flying. Lot's wife Rebecca, in direct violation of a clear order, looked back at the cities being smote and, naturally, was turned into a pillar of salt.

Ahhhhhh, I see. The 'pillar of salt' triggered an old school memory from some lecture back in the day. Thanks!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

People are stunningly slow-witted, stubborn, or both.

If believers can't understand why this sign is so offensive to unbelievers, then they're stunningly slow-witted and/or stubborn.

If unbelievers can't understand why believers would see nothing wrong with this sign, then they're stunningly slow-witted and/or stubborn.

This one should be very easy to see from both sides of the fence. It is a matter of perspective, people.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #56
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I've done a pretty exhaustive study on the various English translations of the Bible, and I've come to the conclusion that the King James is indeed the most accurate. I'm not sure how you've come to the determination that it is "notorious" for inaccuracy... it is widely accepted as the "Authorized Version" for very good reasons.
You are so full of shit.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #57
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
It being the edition that's sold a lot of copies being #1, of course.

I'm not sure what your point is, but the KJV isn't copyrighted, so it's not like anyone's making a lot of money off those sales.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM   #58
capsicum
Banned

Psalm 36 1-5 KJV
1The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes.

2For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful.

3The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good.

4He deviseth mischief upon his bed; he setteth himself in a way that is not good; he abhorreth not evil.

5Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
capsicum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #59
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Ascribing behaviors to an entire group of people is intellectually lazy and dangerous on many levels. It seems like you recognize that, however. At least you are being honest there.

Anyway - there are many, many different sects of Christianity - I think anyone would be wise not put them all under the same tent.

Well said. In addition, there are many, many different kinds of Christians. I think anyone would be a near idiot to put them under the same tent. But then again, that seems like the easiest way to do things these days. Nice little classifications for everyone means we don't have to think as hard.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #60
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Holmgrem 27 2

"Hasselbeck shalt not throw interceptions."
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #61
Subby
lolzcat

I think it is funny and fitting that all of capsicum's posts are followed by the WTF??!?! smiley

Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #62
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
I look down on the belief, not the person(for the most part).

Quote:
Nutjob-wise, there is no difference between this and following organized religion in general, no matter how seriously you take it.

So are you looking down on the belief or the nutjobs...er people here?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #63
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
People are stunningly slow-witted, stubborn, or both.

If believers can't understand why this sign is so offensive to unbelievers, then they're stunningly slow-witted and/or stubborn.

If unbelievers can't understand why believers would see nothing wrong with this sign, then they're stunningly slow-witted and/or stubborn.

This one should be very easy to see from both sides of the fence. It is a matter of perspective, people.

Maybe you should spend less time on the fence and pick a side already.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #64
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears 21:4

"To be called upon by thine officials for false start is a travesty of thine own making. To be called upon thine travesty thrice in succession is to be deserving of spanking by thine quarterback's Most Holy Trout."
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #65
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is, but the KJV isn't copyrighted, so it's not like anyone's making a lot of money off those sales.

Thomas Nelson had revenues of $240 million last year and net profits of $20, so clearly SOMEONE is making a buck.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #66
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
You are so full of shit.

Actually, I really HAVE spent a lot of time on this particular issue. My Dad is a Baptist minister, and he's positively fanatic about it - he won't even look at anything but a KJV bible at this point - and we've had lengthy discussions on the matter. I have read several books on the topic and done a great deal of research on my own on the nature of many of the popular English translations and the original Greek and Hebrew texts they are based on. I've come to the conclusion that the KJV is based upon the most accurate original texts, and the translation is the most accurate English version of those texts.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:09 PM   #67
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I do not think it's fair to say that most Christian pastors would "send" a hurricane to New Orleans, just because they disapprove of the behavior that the region is notorious for.

I'd agree. I'd also say that this pastor is one of the exceptions. And I'd say that it's bizarre to blame the entire region for the behavior of a few. What happened to tolerance and reserving judgment?

Quote:
God's children have always had to suffer. This is illustrated all over the Bible. The point is not to say that "Jews were bad - they got what they deserved..." but to realize "that's what we ALL deserve..." Instead of focusing on the negative impact of the holocaust, it might be more productive to look at the positive - would Israel exist today if not for WWII?

I guarantee you the Jews would be happier without the need for Israel. Most care little for artifacts of millennia past. The rich culture built in the neighborhoods of Warsaw, Berlin and countless other European cities can never be replaced.

None of us deserve mass extermination. What a horrible thought.

Quote:
I feel pretty sorry for you if you can't see the hand of God in all of creation.

Oh, don't worry about me. I never saw the hidden pictures in those zany drawings you used to find at mall kiosks, either, and I turned out okay.

Quote:
Now, I don't know if that sign is the best way to bring people to the acceptance of Jesus Christ, but I can certainly sympathize with the frustration of a church in the New Orleans area, and their natural acceptance of one of the good things to come out of this crisis - that this year, there probably won't be a Mardi Gras, or any other celebration of sinful excess in the streets of their city. Perhaps this disaster will shift people's attention from carnal lusts and towards the things that are a little more important in life.

Bad news. Mardi Gras is apparently still on.

I do think it's sad that people would view this as a sign. Did you think it was a similar sign when someone gunned down Ben's friends at Tucker last year? How 'bout when my son was born not breathing, and needed a few days in the neo-natal ICU?

Last edited by Solecismic : 09-12-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #68
RealDeal
High School Varsity

It's possible the parallel between Sodom and Gomorroh and New Orleans also has to do with the fact that New Orleans was full of blacks and S/G was a city mostly full of Africans (black people). However, maybe too much can be read into the similarity.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #69
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

Why?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #70
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Why?

that was my first thought as well
Old 09-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #71
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
Thomas Nelson had revenues of $240 million last year and net profits of $20, so clearly SOMEONE is making a buck.

They had a net profit of twenty bucks on revenues of $240 million? Somebody's gonna get fired.

Nelson makes money on Bibles packed with commentary and bound in fancy leather covers. But if you just want to read the KJV, I can mail you one for free, or you can buy a copy at the local dollar store.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #72
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'm not on the fence. I do, however, stay near the door.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #73
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsicum
Psalm 36 1-5 KJV
1The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes.

2For he flattereth himself in his own eyes, until his iniquity be found to be hateful.

3The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good.

4He deviseth mischief upon his bed; he setteth himself in a way that is not good; he abhorreth not evil.

5Thy mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens; and thy faithfulness reacheth unto the clouds.
Oh crap. ScriptureBot 2000 is on the fritz again.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:17 PM   #74
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
I do think it's sad that people would view this as a sign.

Why is that sad Jim? What would be sad is if people are happy that people died or had their lives destroyed because of Katrina - why is it sad if a person thinks "Wow, what a horrible disaster. My heart goes out to the victims, the survivors and all their family and friends. Its really amazing how at any point at any time disaster can strike - maybe I better get my life in order before its too late"

Is that sad that someone can view a tragedy as a wake up call to themselves? I still fail to see where people are rejoicing at the death and disaster? If they are, that is VERY wrong and very sad indeed but to look at a horrible tragedy as a wake up call for your own life...how can that be sad?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #75
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
...on the fritz again.

I do not think that means what you think it means.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:18 PM   #76
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
I guarantee you the Jews would be happier without the need for Israel. Most care little for artifacts of millennia past. The rich culture built in the neighborhoods of Warsaw, Berlin and countless other European cities can never be replaced.
I guarantee the Germans would be happier without what the war did to their nation. Same with the British, Polish, Austrians, French, etc. The point is, the war happened. It caused a lot of death and suffering, but a great deal of good DID come as a result of it. To ignore that is pretty depressing - why don't we just say all those people died in vain?

Quote:
None of us deserve mass extermination. What a horrible thought.
The point is that we're all going to die, sooner or later, one way or another. Maybe when it all happens to a bunch of people at once, we should think a little more about it.

Quote:
Bad news. Mardi Gras is apparently still on.

I do think it's sad that people would view this as a sign. Did you think it was a similar sign when someone gunned down Ben's friends at Tucker last year? How 'bout when my son was born not breathing, and needed a few days in the neo-natal ICU?
Nothing good came of either of those events? We all have personal tragedy to fight through, Jim. I choose to seek the blessing in it, and not spend all day dwelling on the pain.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 09-12-2005 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:19 PM   #77
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I do not think that means what you think it means.

heh, my initial thought
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #78
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski
Why is that sad Jim? What would be sad is if people are happy that people died or had their lives destroyed because of Katrina - why is it sad if a person thinks "Wow, what a horrible disaster. My heart goes out to the victims, the survivors and all their family and friends. Its really amazing how at any point at any time disaster can strike - maybe I better get my life in order before its too late"

Is that sad that someone can view a tragedy as a wake up call to themselves? I still fail to see where people are rejoicing at the death and disaster? If they are, that is VERY wrong and very sad indeed but to look at a horrible tragedy as a wake up call for your own life...how can that be sad?

That response (which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this being "a sign") doesn't sound irrational to me. I doubt anyone would have a real problem with it, unless you elaborate on what exactly you mean by "get my life in order."

If this is just a veiled way of saying "God hates all the butt sex" then I think you're going to lose some passengers on your peace train. Sometimes it's the sizzle, sometimes the steak.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #79
capsicum
Banned

Quote:

Wonderfully well said. Thank You
Old 09-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #80
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hey the board almost shut down just now - maybe that's a sign, too.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #81
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
That response (which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this being "a sign") doesn't sound irrational to me. I doubt anyone would have a real problem with it, unless you elaborate on what exactly you mean by "get my life in order."

If this is just a veiled way of saying "God hates all the butt sex" then I think you're going to lose some passengers on your peace train. Sometimes it's the sizzle, sometimes the steak.

You are on a roll.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #82
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Gary, if you view it that way, that is very understandable.

However, it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. By referencing punishment through the parable of Sodom and Gomorrah, there is an implied judgment (human) that all residents of coastal Mississippi and southeast Louisiana were punished for wicked behavior.

There's an implied human judgment that your god punishes behavior you don't approve of (the Bible does not mention New Orleans or Mississippi, by name).

You erased most of the paragraph I wrote when quoting it. How do you feel about the rest of it?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:29 PM   #83
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I think I just found the clubhouse leader for capsicum's new sig line!

Old 09-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #84
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, I had to make a new sig.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #85
capsicum
Banned

Quote:
Someone care to point out the part where this pastor is condemming all residents of New Orleans as evil and wicked people who are going to hell?

For those who believe in God, we believe that things happen for a reason. Yes, there are pyhsical conditions in nature that cause a hurricane but religious people believe there is a higher power at work as well. Why did so many hurricanes miss New Orleans in the past? Why did this one hit? For those who don't believe, they'll draw it up 100% to nature and science but for those who do have religious faith - they might take into account a greater power at work and that this one hit New Orleans for a reason.

I'm sure there are many priests and pastors and deacons that are drawing similar parallels in their churches - telling their congregations that this horrific disaster is a sign that you never know when your hour will come and that you should be sorry for the things you have done wrong and committ yourself to doing better from this day on. I see nothing where this pastor is praising God for the city flooding and people dying. I see him making a point that New Orleans is a place where sin is on display and embraced with things like Mardi Gras and to tell his congregation to let what happened be a warning to them to change their lives like the story of Sodom and Gommorah in the Bible.

I agree that its unfortunate that people who hate religion will be quick to jump on it and run with it. Ah yes, all religious people are nutjobs and are celebrating that people died, right? Or are all religious people nutjobs because they can believe in something without having physical proof and/or reason staring them in the face? Having religious faith means you believe in a higher power - you believe in signs from God so some religious people are going to look at this as a sign - as a warning and reminder that God wants them to change their ways before they are faced with tribulations or even death in their own life. I fail to see the part where the religious nutjobs are dancing in the pews because people in New Orleans are dead - if someone would care to point that out I'd be happy to reconsider my thoughts.

AMEN
Even better. Wish I explained myself nearly as well.
I usually do better when im not holding one of our babies , but you are making my day.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:32 PM   #86
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
By the way, my use of the word "extra-terrestrial" had nothing to do with a pun on anal sex. It was a reference to the age old "heaven or hell" judgment - both places not of this earth.

I was hoping you would understand that to be a joke. I said I know you didn't mean it that way.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #87
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Pastor Bennett says, "Anybody that's ever visited New Orleans, the very name its self - Big Easy - denotes that it's easy to find sin there."

Pastor Bennett says the sign, is a sign of the times. "The purpose of the sign is to wake American up to the fact that America is going away from God. New York City's 9/11 was a call of judgment and New Orlean's horrible incident was judgment on a wicked city."

----

He's not saying that "all residents of New Orleans as evil and wicked people who are going to hell", but he is saying that this was an act of God punishing the city of New Orleans for being wicked, being sinners. I assume he believes all sinners are going to hell, but I don't know, never been a Baptist, not sure where they come out on that.

I think his statements are pretty clear and quite shameful and, to me, it seems like he and his "ilk" are being very righteous and smug about this whole thing.

Quote:

I have tried to explain this before and I will try again. I don't think all religious people are nutjobs. I certainly don't think all religious people are celebrating that people died. I was pretty careful to cast my displeasure towards this paster and his "ilk" (meaning those people who share his particular view of the tragic events).

I am an athiest, but my entire family (and my wife's family) are all Christians. My family is, in fact, entirely Catholic. I love them all. I certainly don't consider them to be "nutjobs" and I know for certain they weren't celebrating that people died. I would imagine that 95% of my friends would consider themselves Christians/believers.

I am not a God-believer, but I wouldn't ever flame folks or ridicule or look down upon or cast any sort of dispersions any person for simply believing. Never have, never would. I will gladly (and gleefully), however, flame folks who claim some horrendous act (see above) is God's work/punishment or some hatefilled/intolerant view is God's will. Just remember, however, any such "flame" would have nothing to do with God or religion, but the act or belief itself. For example, if Pastor Bennett claimed that the hurricane was a act of the Great Powerful Alien Supreme Commander, the All-Knowning Lord Kimboat, sent to punish non-believers for their sacriligeous use of plastic beads and for the eating/killing too much shrimp (Lord Kimboat's most favored species) I would still mock the statement.

It aint got nothing to do with God or religion, just evil, stupidity, ignorance, or whatever is going on. Sometimes, however, the source of these beliefs will take some flak/collateral damage in the process, simply because for some people it's all wrapped up together.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #88
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
I've done a pretty exhaustive study on the various English translations of the Bible, and I've come to the conclusion that the King James is indeed the most accurate. I'm not sure how you've come to the determination that it is "notorious" for inaccuracy... it is widely accepted as the "Authorized Version" for very good reasons.

I believe that the KJV translation is sourced from various Latin and Greek versions. Some of those Greek/Latin sources are copies of earlier works, and a bit of error (some translation, some transcription) crept in at that stage.

For those books that were originally in Hebrew, like the books that comprise the Torah, there are excellent translations now that source directly from the Hebrew. I would assume that a direct sourcing would be more accurate than sourcing from a Greek or Latin translation of the Hebrew.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:36 PM   #89
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
You are on a roll.

I know. Quiksand aka Sassy McSasserson.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #90
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
I believe that the KJV translation is sourced from various Latin and Greek versions. Some of those Greek/Latin sources are copies of earlier works, and a bit of error (some translation, some transcription) crept in at that stage.

For those books that were originally in Hebrew, like the books that comprise the Torah, there are excellent translations now that source directly from the Hebrew. I would assume that a direct sourcing would be more accurate than sourcing from a Greek or Latin translation of the Hebrew.

Actually, the KJV is taken directly from the Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ja...on#Translation
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM   #91
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They had a net profit of twenty bucks on revenues of $240 million? Somebody's gonna get fired.

Nelson makes money on Bibles packed with commentary and bound in fancy leather covers. But if you just want to read the KJV, I can mail you one for free, or you can buy a copy at the local dollar store.

$20 million, of course.

The notion that even your "free" copies don't eventually net someone somewhere a healthy chunk of dough is amusing, but naive. Even promotional copies are funded from the donations of others, given to spur conversion, which will be followed by requests for more donation, to fund the publishing of new copies of the free bibles to give away...well, a portion of those funds will go to the publishing program...the rest will go to upkeep of the ministry, new buildings (to be constructed by firms with ties to the congregation), new outreach programs (which aim to get new members to join and donate to the church), etc.

None of which is here or there, or presented with any rancor. Christian publishing, in ALL its forms, is business.

The fact that something is out of copyright doesn't mean that nobody makes a buck off of it - it means that the publishers don't have to pay the author a buck for it, so they can keep two.

I didn't mention Zondervan, but it's worth noting that they're owned by HarperCollins, which is a Rupert Murdoch company. So when Fox News tells you about the faith and Christian values of the Republican party, are they really just cross-merchandising?

Gotta go - I need to sell some KJV bibles.

Last edited by Shkspr : 09-12-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM   #92
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that the KJV is based upon the most accurate original texts, and the translation is the most accurate English version of those texts.

That's odd. I had a bunch of friends in grad school who wrote/spoke ancient Greek, and my father-in-law writes & speaks Hebrew and they're all of the opinion that it's not the world's best translation.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #93
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
That's odd. I had a bunch of friends in grad school who wrote/spoke ancient Greek, and my father-in-law writes & speaks Hebrew and they're all of the opinion that it's not the world's best translation.

It is because you'd have to have a pretty big bias to say it was. Scholars would scoff at the very idea (both conservative and liberal).

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 09-12-2005 at 03:47 PM.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #94
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Gary, if you view it that way, that is very understandable.

However, it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. By referencing punishment through the parable of Sodom and Gomorrah, there is an implied judgment (human) that all residents of coastal Mississippi and southeast Louisiana were punished for wicked behavior.

There's an implied human judgment that your god punishes behavior you don't approve of (the Bible does not mention New Orleans or Mississippi, by name).

You erased most of the paragraph I wrote when quoting it. How do you feel about the rest of it?

Well I think it does deal with the discussion at hand - if you believe that this is a sign from God then yes, all residents of coastal Mississippi and SE LA were punished for wicked behavior - not necessarily their own wicked behavior though.

There's no implied judgment - I do believe that God punishes behavior He does not approve of. That punishment could be small, it could be big, it could be in this life or perhaps after death.

As for the rest of your earlier statement I didn't say anything because of its directly personal nature but I will say this - I believe that everything happens for a reason and that sometimes bad things do happen to good people for a reason that is not apparent to myself. Its terrible about your son but did he come through ok? Did that experience, as tragic as it is, not make you and your wife stronger and relish your son even more and realize in that moment how precious and fragile life can be? I don't know why Ben's friend was murdered or why your son was born not breathing - it doesn't make sense to me but I'm not supposed to know everything. I just accept the fact that there is a higher power than myself and that there is a reason - I know that may seem stupid to someone who is not religious but for those of us who are having that faith sometimes is the only way to get through tragedies like that.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:50 PM   #95
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I guarantee the Germans would be happier without what the war did to their nation. Same with the British, Polish, Austrians, French, etc. The point is, the war happened. It caused a lot of death and suffering, but a great deal of good DID come as a result of it. To ignore that is pretty depressing - why don't we just say all those people died in vain?

I can't help but feel what you're saying here is: "The Holocaust is over, done. Don't think about it any more. Concentrate on the good things!" I think that's an unrealistic world view.

Quote:
The point is that we're all going to die, sooner or later, one way or another. Maybe when it all happens to a bunch of people at once, we should think a little more about it.

"Think a little more about it" is one thing. Celebrate it as a cleansing as the pastor in the original post did, is quite another. Can you not understand this subtle difference?

Quote:
We all have personal tragedy to fight through, Jim. I choose to seek the blessing in it, and not spend all day dwelling on the pain.

Were you only to see capsicum's bannings the same way.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #96
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
It is because you'd have to have a pretty big bias to say it was. Scholars would scoff at the very idea (both conservative and liberal).
Well, I'm no scholar (although I've studied more than most, I'd imagine), and I'm certainly not theologically liberal by any way you'd try to spin it. That being said, for whatever it is worth, I'd never, ever hold up the KJV as "the most accurate English version..."

...unless, of course, I were living in 1611.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:54 PM   #97
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

You know, I think we're all responding to this:

Quote:
During a heated discussion, Robin asked, "What's the point of the sign out there?" Pastor Bennett replied, "The point of the sign is New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Francisco, and New York City are some of the most wicked cities in America."

Maybe, just maybe, some people take exception to the views of the good Pastor Bennett.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #98
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Actually, the KJV is taken directly from the Hebrew (Old Testament) and Greek (New Testament).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Ja...on#Translation

I stand corrected, Franklinnoble. The article does make the point that Hebrew translation in the KJV is not as strong as it could be:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Hebrew scholarship by non-Jews was not as developed in the early 17th century as it is now, and it is unclear how well the translators grasped the language (for example, the Greek word "Pascha", a transliteration of the Hebrew word "Passover", was translated as "Easter", instead of the correct "Passover" in Acts 12:4). The New Testament is largely unaffected by this as the grasp of Ancient Greek was already quite firm in the West by the time the translation was made. The difference is partially caused by the fact that while there is a very large and diverse body of extra-biblical material extant in Ancient Greek, there is very little such material in Ancient Hebrew, and probably not even this little was known to the translators at the time. Additionally, Hebrew scholarship in modern times has been much improved by information gleaned from Aramaic (Syrian) and Arabic, two Semitic languages related to Ancient Hebrew, both of which have a continuous existence as living languages. Since these languages are still in use and have larger bodies of extant material than Ancient Hebrew (especially in the case of Arabic), many Hebrew words and Hebrew grammar phenomena can now be understood in a way not available at the time the King James Version was written.

Now that Hebrew scholarship has progressed, and now that we have a better understanding of ancient Hebrew--more precise translations of books originally written in Hebrew are now available...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #99
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr
$20 million, of course.

The notion that even your "free" copies don't eventually net someone somewhere a healthy chunk of dough is amusing, but naive. Even promotional copies are funded from the donations of others, given to spur conversion, which will be followed by requests for more donation, to fund the publishing of new copies of the free bibles to give away...well, a portion of those funds will go to the publishing program...the rest will go to upkeep of the ministry, new buildings (to be constructed by firms with ties to the congregation), new outreach programs (which aim to get new members to join and donate to the church), etc.

None of which is here or there, or presented with any rancor. Christian publishing, in ALL its forms, is business.

The fact that something is out of copyright doesn't mean that nobody makes a buck off of it - it means that the publishers don't have to pay the author a buck for it, so they can keep two.

I didn't mention Zondervan, but it's worth noting that they're owned by HarperCollins, which is a Rupert Murdoch company. So when Fox News tells you about the faith and Christian values of the Republican party, are they really just cross-merchandising?

Gotta go - I need to sell some KJV bibles.

I'm not suggesting the publishing business isn't making money of Christianity. The "Left Behind" novels were a disappointing illustration of that... they took a story that could have been told in about four books and stretched it out to twelve - and I think they did so largely over the profitability of the series.

I also don't care much for the Zondervan company... they own the NIV copyright, and a few other "modern" translations as well. I don't care for them at all, and I know their motivation is purely profit.

The fact remains that you can get a free KJV Bible from a number of sources, and you really don't have to worry about it "costing" you anything later on.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:57 PM   #100
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I'm not suggesting the publishing business isn't making money of Christianity. The "Left Behind" novels were a disappointing illustration of that... they took a story that could have been told in about four books and stretched it out to twelve monumentally poorly-written ones - and I think they did so largely over the profitability of the series.
Fixed it for you.