Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #51
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Nyarlahotep
Why don't you tell us how revolutionary the idea of robots that have arms that fold back to expose guns is. You know, for the seires itself.

Nice, i have to give you that one.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #52
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonegavel
At least it is different for the series itself.

Coming to NBC this Spring!

The Matrix - The Series

Drop your jaws in wonderment as a Keanu Reeves look-a-like assists in destroying an awesome movie that never should have had a sequel in the first place.

Declared the best series based off a movie since Planet of the Apes - The Series by Nobod E. Particular, of the Daily News.

We'll even throw in an oversexed hot cyborg who jumps in and out of bed with Neo!

Must See TV!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #53
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
They used to sit on each other's lap and dream about capturing Moffet and a case of Jiff.

Welcome to Battlestar Afoci . . .
Old 12-08-2003, 02:09 PM   #54
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven Hawk
Coming to NBC this Spring!

The Matrix - The Series

Drop your jaws in wonderment as a Keanu Reeves look-a-like assists in destroying an awesome movie that never should have had a sequel in the first place.

Declared the best series based off a movie since Planet of the Apes - The Series by Nobod E. Particular, of the Daily News.

We'll even throw in an oversexed hot cyborg who jumps in and out of bed with Neo!

Must See TV!

I'm waiting for a Hollywood genius to come up with "Lord of the Rings: The Series".
Old 12-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #55
Bonegavel

I am just hopeful that it will be a good series. I could of had fun mocking all the "changes" etc. but I have to see it first. Then I can mock with Full Unadulterated Cylon Knowledge. Until then, I am giving them the benefit of a doubt.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #56
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
I'm waiting for a Hollywood genius to come up with "Lord of the Rings: The Series".

No shit. Here's something that made a ton of money . . .

LET'S EXPLOIT IT!

I'm hoping that the Tolkien family has more respect than that. I think that they do. I could be wrong.

I've got an idea how about . . . "My Big Fat Greek Wedding - The Series" lol

And you do get props for bringing up Buck Rogers. Twinkie is the bomb!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #57
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
Do I get a hell-yeah for Buck Rodgers out there? All I remember was the show had lots of hot babes in skimpy outfits. I suspect that's another that I would think really sucked if I went back to watch it now. But they knew how to do it right with the T&A (as they called it back then).

Ahhh.....Erin Gray......

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-08-2003 at 02:23 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:30 PM   #58
Bonegavel

I still don't know why Buck didn't just tell the Earth to screw off and join Princess Ardala. She had bigger boobs than Col. Wilma Deering.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:34 PM   #59
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
NylonHoseStep,

LMAO!

I think the Lord of the Ring should be a reality show. We could watch as unsuspecting people put on the One Ring and start slaughtering each other out of jealousy, and then the suvivor get's the ultimate reward...being turned into Golem!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:45 PM   #60
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
LMAO!

I think the Lord of the Ring should be a reality show. We could watch as unsuspecting people put on the One Ring and start slaughtering each other out of jealousy, and then the suvivor get's the ultimate reward...being turned into Golem!

It takes too long to become a gollum. They would wind up adding a three year old to the cast while we were waiting.
Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #61
Nyarlahotep
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I still don't know why Buck didn't just tell the Earth to screw off and join Princess Ardala. She had bigger boobs than Col. Wilma Deering.

That isn't saying much.

Nyarlahotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:58 PM   #62
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
That isn't saying much.

You know, that was back in the day when boob jobs were few and far between. That's a decent rack...for those days.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM   #63
Bonegavel

Quote:
You know, that was back in the day when boob jobs were few and far between. That's a decent rack...for those days.

Exactly. And she wore skimpy Genie-like outfits. Oooh... Barbara Eden circa IDOG....
Old 12-08-2003, 04:20 PM   #64
Taur
High School Varsity

I think Eden had some silicone in those color boobs of hers.

Watch the first episodes that were in black&white....definately A cup all the way.(32 A)

Along came color and up went her bra size...Very interesting.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:28 PM   #65
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Oooh... Barbara Eden circa IDOG....

Why qualify it? I'm sure you'd still do Barbara Eden circa 2003.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:22 PM   #66
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Good so far...

Old 12-08-2003, 10:11 PM   #67
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

Well, I'll be damned. It's actually good...so far. Hopefully the next three don't crap out.

Decent visuals, a compelling (if overused) storyline, solid acting, and so far nothing extraordinarily cheesy. Much different from the original series and yet...familiar.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 PM   #68
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I agree. The basic story is simple, but it looks like it should flow well. I'm glad I decided to see for myself...

I'm very excited about the future of this show!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:25 PM   #69
Bonegavel

Nice. Two hours well spent.

And, no Franklin, Barbara Eden 2003 is more like "I would only dream of Genie by accident, or in a drunken stupor."

Old 12-08-2003, 10:34 PM   #70
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

I was also pleasantly surprised. A good start.

Was anybody else a bit surprised at the use of old-school technology (e.g., paper printouts, books, dials, nuclear weapons)? I realize this is in keeping with the old Battlestar Galactica series, but I'm a bit surprised (pleasantly) they chose to honor that aspect of the show.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:36 PM   #71
KWhit
Coordinator

I liked it.

That female cylon was super-hot.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 PM   #72
Richards
Mascot

Very nice, the "grip" factor was there, as I was looking forward to each segment.

This is coming from someone who hasn't seen the original.
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:08 AM   #73
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up

I liked it too, a very nice start.

I liked how the new colonial fighters had the little jets in the front and the cylon jamming weapon was classic.

Edit: one thing I wish they would quit doing (they did this with the Dune shows too) is show a snippet of the next segment when its going to commercial. Stop that!

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 12-09-2003 at 08:13 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:18 AM   #74
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I agree about the grip factor...during the scene where the Colonials found out about the new Cylon jamming weapon, and the flight leader was watching the Cylon ships coming toward him, I kept thinking "Why don't you punch out?!?!?"
Old 12-09-2003, 08:21 AM   #75
Raven Hawk
College Starter

I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I think that they are doing a good job with it.

My one gripe: They should have just done away with the old character's names and made new characters. They kept referring back to 40 years ago which seemed like it was trying to reference the original series. They had the old cylons, the old cylon station, etc . . . Therefore, the people in the first series MUST have existed in this timeline. Why are we seeing them again? I didn't have a problem with Boomer being a woman, but it will be hard to get over Starbuck being a woman. It would have been a lot easier if they just went with new character names.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:32 AM   #76
Bee
Pro Starter

I liked it. Not great, but a solid show worth the time watching it.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:33 AM   #77
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Raven Hawk,

I think I like the vague references to the past. I think they may be paying homage to the old series, but I don't think they are going to try and incorporate the story of the first one into the new series.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:37 AM   #78
Bee
Pro Starter

Is this going to be a new weekly series or just a mini-series?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 08:47 AM   #79
Taur
High School Varsity

Wow, I really like this episode. The review was completly wrong. The sex scenes were about right and add to the story line. Hey, if you are going to make a sex bot you might as well use it. A lot less cheesy than the current Enterprise.

The only thing that had me scratching my head about the casting was why they replaced all(2) the main black characters? I know it is not UPN, but still 20 years ago BG was very bold to have 2 black lead type characters on the same show. 20 years later there are none.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:58 AM   #80
Flame Eater
H.S. Freshman Team

They used the "old school" technology becuase the Cylons couldn't jam/disrupt it in the first war. That's why the new fighters and Battle Stars were shut down and destroyed, and the old Vipers and the Galactica still worked under the jamming. (Pretty geeky reply, huh?)

I was in the Coast Guard for 11 years. I loved the old school "naval" feel of the show. The terminology, proceedures, etc were authentic and very well done.

I think the girl Starbuck and Boomer are okay, but I can't decide if Starbuck is incredibly hot or a little scary. Maybe some of both.

I enjoyed Part I and look forward to Part II.

Last edited by Flame Eater : 12-09-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Flame Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #81
Bonegavel

Imagine the stress of knowing "little elvis" was the cause of death for a few billion people.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #82
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Not bad at all. It sure as hell didn't utterly suck, like everyone in the world seemed to expect.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:07 AM   #83
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
Raven Hawk,

I think I like the vague references to the past. I think they may be paying homage to the old series, but I don't think they are going to try and incorporate the story of the first one into the new series.

True. I like the references to the past and I also like the fact that some of the "original model" cylons are still in use. I still think that if they are acknowledging the first, they need to acknowledge the characters as well, instead of re-using them. I would have liked new characters a little more.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #84
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven Hawk
I still think that if they are acknowledging the first, they need to acknowledge the characters as well, instead of re-using them. I would have liked new characters a little more.

I feel ya.

While I watched, I purposely tried to seperate the old show from the new, so maybe that helped me to see the new characters in their own light. For the record, the girl is playing Starbuck like I think he should have been played, not the big cheeseball from the first series.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:30 AM   #85
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Quote:
For the record, the girl is playing Starbuck like I think he should have been played, not the big cheeseball from the first series.

I can't argue with you here. Much better than cheeseball.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 AM   #86
RawIsDan
High School JV

Crap I missed it.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:32 AM   #87
Bonegavel

you can catch it tonight at 7, right before part two.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:34 AM   #88
RawIsDan
High School JV

Sweet. Thanks for the info BG

Quote:
don't think you have a chance with the T3 girl... she likes eat off a chag carpet... if you know what I mean.

That doesn't put a dimmer on the dream one bit.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:58 AM   #89
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I don't think you have a chance with the T3 girl... she likes eat off a chag carpet... if you know what I mean.

Hmm, didn't know that, but looks like she is at least bi.

en2 DOT wikipedia EOT org/wiki/List_of_famous_gay,_lesbian_or_bisexual_people
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 AM   #90
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, first let me apologize for ranting earlier on, no-one deserves to bear teh brunt of my bad moods. I just got really annoyed at all the negativism from people who hadn't seen minute one of the new series yet.

To continue: As I said I loved the original, but they did such a bad job writing it that I couldn't wait for the new one to be done "right" so to speak.

That being said, after seeing the first half last night....WOW, holy shit wow. I'm in love. THIS is what the original should have been, but couldn't for so many reasons. Great characters, great acting, a believable and deep thinking style of plotline. This new take on things actually makes you think about how you would feel in their place, its so much more than just eye-candy.

If this doesn't become a full time series I am going to be SO dissapointed. Hell I even like the old witch they got for the presidents role...she rox. I love the shift in the relationship between Apollo and Adama as well, talk about adding some serious backstory!

Just to respond to a couple other comments. Having the cylons be humanities mistake is far and away more compelling than them just being another lame "alien" race.

The sex scenes (which richard hatch whined so pathetically about on "cold pizza") were done perfectly. Enough to entertain but not so much as to be taudry. I'm thrilled with the character #6, because she shows the curiosity of the cylons towards their creators. The scene with the baby showed how much she wanted to understand them, and even some possible confusion or remorse when she killed it. Exceelent work there.

Starbuck I think will be fleshed out a bit more in the second half, they barely touched on her character and yes, right now she's a little freaky.

------
Edited because I'm dumb and need to read more carefully-
This next comment was actually part of a retort of taur's comments about the sex scenes on page one of the thread, I screwed up because I thought he had made those comments after seeing the movie which it appears in fact he ahd not (sorry dude!) but I want to leave this next part here because I think its a valid statement of why the sex scenes fit where they are and were done so well, maybe Richard hatch can read this and STFU for awhile =)
-----
Fiction is an entertaining lie, and the best lies contain partial truths. The truth is that we are a society in which sex is an integral part. Sex has made more people do dispicable things than any other cause. baltar's weakness in this category, to me at least, brings this story some serious integrity. Try not focusing on 1 scene in the movie and making a judgement on that alone, Don't let 2 minutes in 2 hours taint an amazing story for you.

Ren

Last edited by RendeR : 12-09-2003 at 11:07 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:25 AM   #91
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by RendeR
The scene with the baby showed how much she wanted to understand them, and even some possible confusion or remorse when she killed it. Exceelent work there.

Man, why do they have to go and kill a baby? I don't even want to think about that.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:58 AM   #92
RendeR
Coordinator

Yes its a very negative and morose idea, but in the context of the story its a very forceful way of showing the internal thought processes of the cylons as a whole. Like humanity they are desperate in some ways to understand their creator and answer the age old question "Why are we here?"
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 11:52 AM   #93
Bonegavel

well, was it as bad when the killed the billions of colonists with nukes? I'm sure there were some babies in there somewhere.

To me, one of the biggest reasons this version works is the lack of campiness and lightheartedness of the 70s version. It would have been impossible to show this sort of wholesale slaughter in ~1979, but it really works to put it in perspective. (they hinted at the holocaust in the original, but this is a bit more visceral)

Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #94
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm not a fan of sci-fi and all I can remember of the original is how ridiculously campy it looked (like an upscale Land of the Lost). But, based on the couple of previews I read, it sounds like the equivalent of taking Welcome Back Kotter and turning it into Boston Public.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:01 PM   #95
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

To me, one of the biggest reasons this version works is the lack of campiness and lightheartedness of the 70s version.

Television needs more lighthearted campiness.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #96
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
Television needs more lighthearted campiness.

You can leave that to your "Golden Girls" reruns.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #97
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

I feel the need to add my two cents here, being a complete scifi junky...

My wife and I watched it last night...I know I love my lady because she has developed a love for "Next Generation", Lord of the Rings, Taken, Stargate SG-1, and The Gunslinger Books by S. King, and many other weak but enjoyable scifi shows...and she's actually good looking...I married up and have now brainwashed her!!!

Decent show...I'll keep watching. Certainly not an "Enterprise" type abortion....

A few things that I can't help but bitch about:

--Seriously, I'm a high school teacher, I'm not brillant, but why could I predict the dialouge at certain points?

--I'm a little tired of the 20-something angst against my father crap...you're a man now...SHUT UP...it was HIS SON...

--If I want "hot" sex scenes, I'll go to the Internet or give my wife an extra glass of wine...or two...as my wife said, "what kind of dorks watch scifi to wack off too?" I love my wife...

--What I love about the Next Generation is that they allowed us to get to know the characters over time...we weren't presented with 5 or 10 different plot lines in one show...Let's see...

1)there's the angst of the kid (already pisses me off...whinning little bitch),

2)the strong yet fragile and dying new President...the clear battle of wills between her and the commander...

3)anyone want to predict when they first hook up?...

4)the sassy but loveable new Starbuck who has a problem with authority but is a damn fine pilot (Hans Solo anyone)...

5)the asian chick who will have to deal with her own angst over leaving her co-pilot behind (her weakness reminds me of the Enterprise translator, Yoshi)...

6)the angst of the scientist who was doin' the robot...

7)over/under on when Starbuck and the whining guy hook up? Not to mention the angst that will create for both characters...

8)the conflict between the chief mechanic and the #2..."I only needed 40 more seconds.........." He should have been slapped and sent out the air lock with the other 80 or so crewmates...all the while being told..."the good of the many outweight the good of the few...bitch"

9)the age issue...are the commander and #2 still up to the task at hand, or are they relics of a forgotten time...hmmm...wonder what the answer to that one will be...

i know that isn't even all...again, i'll keep watching, but i feel like the writers of this show aren't serious scifi fans...these are tired and old bits that have been played out before...

I'm looking for more storylines...give us some history...talk about the machines and their rise to consciousness...i think scifi fans like the genre because it is a plausible future that discusses where we are headed with society and some of the problems we may face...i'm sorry, but I just don't want half a show devoted to a woman's struggle with breast cancer while maintaining her grasp on power...

give me something fresh...

again, i'll keep watching, and i'll give this show a lot of patience...hell, I'm still trying to watch Enterprise even as that show continues to lose focus of what made TNG great...

and yes, I am a HUGE scifi geek and so is my wife...she gave the show a 6/10...i'd give it a 7/10 so far...we shall see...

Kevin

Last edited by kserra : 12-09-2003 at 12:48 PM.
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 PM   #98
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

I had the Love Boat and Fantasy Island more in mind.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:16 PM   #99
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I seem to have lost my cynicism...oh, nevermind. It was stolen.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:19 PM   #100
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

That was 80's campiness and lightheartedness. Get it straight!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote