Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-02-2024, 05:44 PM   #51
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Waiting on the new one from this guy.

100%. I probably mentioned Wednesday in the 2023 thread and Lenderman is their lead guitar player. They seem like a great group of young people.

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 03:05 AM   #52
Suicane75
Coordinator

Started about 4 years ago with a suitcase and was blown away by how more open particular records sounded than on digital. Quickly upgraded to a mid level Audio Technica turntable/speaker combo and it's been an absolute joy. I'm not gonna preach, but to my ears there is definitely a difference IF you have a good record/pressing, which discogs is a godsend for. It is expensive, and storage can be a hassle if you're buying rare stuff but I have had so many amazing experiences that it's made the time and money more than worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Anyone here listen on vinyl? Final got around to getting a somewhat real turntable and speakers. It really does feel warmer. And having to get up every 20 minutes or so makes the music feel more engaging. 90% of my "collection" are Goodwill dumpster dives, but I've still found some albums I've always liked. Like listening to Chicago Transit Authority, even a copy I literally paid a dime for, sounds more enjoyable than streaming it losslessly from Apple.

Also, cleaning records really does make a huge difference. As a kid I just assumed everything had pops and cracks every second or 2. It's because my dad played the shit out of his records on bargain turntables without ever cleaning them.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:12 AM   #53
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I absolutely hear the difference, but the way I listen to music, vinyl is worthless. 90-95% of my listening is in the car or my phone while not in the house. The other 5-10% is on my computer in the house, but only for searching for new music. I can't think of a situation in which I would just sit around the house listening to music. And of course with the kind of music I listen to, and at the volume levels I listen to it at, no one else in my house wants to hear it and I'd probably invite some neighbors to call the cops.

It's just completely at odds with how I consume music these days, so there's no point. I've learned to deal with it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:44 AM   #54
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You get one of those little turntables for the dash of you car.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-03-2024 at 07:44 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:51 AM   #55
Ksyrup

Uh...no.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #56
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ha, I'm pretty much the same way due to living arrangements and constraints, but that's why I enjoy it so much. Every 6-8 weeks I set my rig up and just give myself 2-3 hours to listen to whatever I have queued up. I still haven't listened to about half the stuff I've bought.

To stay on topic, I just listened to Sarah Harmer: You Were Here, and it's bloody beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I absolutely hear the difference, but the way I listen to music, vinyl is worthless. 90-95% of my listening is in the car or my phone while not in the house. The other 5-10% is on my computer in the house, but only for searching for new music. I can't think of a situation in which I would just sit around the house listening to music. And of course with the kind of music I listen to, and at the volume levels I listen to it at, no one else in my house wants to hear it and I'd probably invite some neighbors to call the cops.

It's just completely at odds with how I consume music these days, so there's no point. I've learned to deal with it.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 11:33 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I absolutely hear the difference, but the way I listen to music, vinyl is worthless. 90-95% of my listening is in the car or my phone while not in the house. The other 5-10% is on my computer in the house, but only for searching for new music. I can't think of a situation in which I would just sit around the house listening to music ... It's just completely at odds with how I consume music these days, so there's no point.

That's me.

My level of engagement with whatever is playing may vary low or high but there's literally NEVER a time -- beyond assessment for suitability, reviewing, etc -- that I'm ONLY just listening to music. Games are just about the only thing I do that isn't part of multi-tasking, I simply don't do "sit around and do a single thing" otherwise.
Old 08-14-2024, 09:09 AM   #58
Ksyrup

It's been a pretty low-key summer for music for me. I have a bunch of pre-orders queued up but I haven't bought anything since mid-June, which is unusual for me.

That said, it's about to start heating up. New Leprous, Bent Knee and Zeal & Ardor by the end of this month, followed by Oceans of Slumber.

Z&A continue with the evolution of their black metal-meets-soul/black gospel sound that was born as a dare on 4Chan:

This is classic Leprous - bloody awesome. The way they use dynamics to build a song is phenomenal. First 2 minutes are quiet, funky, meandering, then a gut-punch into a heavy/intense last 2 minutes. This song will be EPIC live.

Bent Knee is a band I loved early on, then they went weird (crappy music and over-saturation of auto-tune), then lost 2 key members. But the 2 songs they've released for the upcoming album feel like them going back to their roots. As usual, Courtney Swain's vocals are amazing but definitely a "love her or hate her" type of quality to them.

Oceans of Slumber is an under-the-radar great metal band. From Houston, and what sets them apart is that their vocalist is an A-A R&B singer-type. You rarely hear such direct soul/R&B sound melded with metal and they do it really well. They've been adding covers to the past few albums, and this time it's Wicked Game, which is pretty good. But this is the first single, an original. It kicks in for real at about the 1:50 mark.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-14-2024 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2024, 05:30 PM   #59
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Going to see old-school punk icons FEAR tonight. Purposely super-offensive but also remarkably tight and musical, compared to the other punks of that time.

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-16-2024 at 06:47 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2024, 08:32 PM   #60
Ksyrup

Damn, I remember listening to them in college. Fear - More Beer was one their albums, right?
Old 08-16-2024, 09:43 PM   #61
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Damn, I remember listening to them in college. Fear - More Beer was one their albums, right?

Yes indeed! That was their second record. I took 5 years of lessons from their drummer (on those first two records) Spit Stix. He's a solid guy.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 07:03 AM   #62
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Went to see the Chilfish Gambino New World Tour last night and it was absolutely wild. All kinds of crazy lasers and fiber optics. An absolute spectacle

Last edited by stevew : 08-21-2024 at 07:14 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 07:02 AM   #63
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Saw The Smashing Pumpkins last night. Not the most energetic or greatest concert ever, but they're also mid-late 50s. It's basically like having gone to see the Eagles in the 2000s. It is weird thinking this is the same group from the 90s moshing heyday. Never saw them earlier as their better run when I was a young teen and had no money, and by the time I did they were basically broken up.

Still, hearing the songs in person does put me in a good place. But I still feel awkward at concerts. I'm not really a dancing, sing along kinda guy. I just want to watch people who make good music play that music in person.

Seeing Weezer next month where they play the blue album. Opening is Flaming Lips and Dinosaur Jr., which is always fun.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 01:07 PM   #64
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Nick Cave Wild God

Amazingly Heartbreakingly Beautiful
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2024, 01:26 PM   #65
Ksyrup

August has been a great month for music for me, and today especially - Leprous, Bent Knee, and Anciients plus a few others.

And I just found out that Dan Spencer, who I posted about earlier in this (or the other?) thread is opening for Amigo the Devil at the Asheville show were going to in a couple weeks. Super stoked for that show, even more now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-30-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 05:06 PM   #66
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Not the most energetic or greatest concert ever, but they're also mid-late 50s.

Not entirely an excuse IMO. Just saw Rob Halford, he's 73. Bruce Dickinson is 66 and beat cancer. Phil Lewis of L.A. Guns is 67 and might be more active than ever (certainly sounds as good/better than ever).

I could go on but you get the idea.
Old 09-12-2024, 10:10 AM   #67
Edward64
Head Coach

Going to start listening to some Bon Jovi songs. Pretty cool what he (and woman) did. Check out the video.

Jon Bon Jovi helps talk a woman down from the ledge on Nashville bridge | AP News
Quote:
Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Jon Bon Jovi and a video production assistant persuaded a woman standing on the ledge of a pedestrian bridge in Nashville to come back over the railing to safety.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 09:11 PM   #68
Ksyrup

Headed to Asheville tomorrow to see Amigo the Devil and Dan Spencer. Stoked! And oh yeah, we get to see my parents and brother and his wife.