Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #51
TroyF
Coordinator

For the PSP owners out there, I picked this one up for it. (I'm going to wait and get MLB2K6 for the 360 for my console baseball title)

Quick impressions after playing a few games:

1) I really wish there were a fantasy draft feature in there. Really sucks that there isn't.

2) Game plays great. As usual, with a console type title the walks are poor on both sides, but that's the way it goes.

3) Love the commentary.

4) Load times are great. I'm very happy with them.

5) The graphics are impressive. Nice stadiums, ball physics, animations and shadow effects.

6) WAY too many wild pitches/passed balls. For the love of God, I don't care how badly I pitch the ball, every pitcher shouldn't seem like a knuckleballer. I'm going to need to play with some settings there.

Anyway, solid game. I'll have some fun with this one.

Now back to the PS2 discussion

TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #52
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed
The two quotes from gamefaqs are this guy's posts and I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about or not. I think what happened is the runner beat the throw at first on a bang-bang play and so the run scored. He says that's not what happened because it went in as the play of the game and the replay cut off when the run scored and so you don't see the throw at first. According to him that is because the run scored so the throw didn't matter. I think it cut off because the run did score and the replay already "knows" that the runner beats the play at first so the game is over. Which also is the reason it is the play of the game ie because it scored the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

Of course I could be wrong and will watch for it. But others there said they have ended games and innings on dp's without the run scoring. They also say they have read posts at operation sports that agree that the run does not score.

Keep in mind this is the only post I could find where someone claimed this happens. I still think it goes back to he thinks he threw the guy out but didn't, lost, got pissed, and then whined on the boards.

Though if I'm wrong and see it I will certainly admit it and post here.

I guess that was primarily my only concern. I went back to Operation Sports to check out their forums, and I have to admit, a sticky of 'bugs/glitches' thread has me a tad bit unnerved. At the same time, I noticed it was pretty general in regards to the MLB series as a whole, so I'm not quite so sure if that thread was based on past iterations of the MLB series (never played this series before).
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #53
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
For the PSP owners out there, I picked this one up for it. (I'm going to wait and get MLB2K6 for the 360 for my console baseball title)

Quick impressions after playing a few games:

1) I really wish there were a fantasy draft feature in there. Really sucks that there isn't.

2) Game plays great. As usual, with a console type title the walks are poor on both sides, but that's the way it goes.

3) Love the commentary.

4) Load times are great. I'm very happy with them.

5) The graphics are impressive. Nice stadiums, ball physics, animations and shadow effects.

6) WAY too many wild pitches/passed balls. For the love of God, I don't care how badly I pitch the ball, every pitcher shouldn't seem like a knuckleballer. I'm going to need to play with some settings there.

Are there any limitations to the PSP version? I've been thinking about getting a portable for my son - I may need to get this for myself
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 PM   #54
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I picked this up yesterday, but haven't had a lot of time to play around with it.
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #55
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF

That problem existed in last years version for the PSP too. Hated it.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #56
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Make sure to max out the CPU pitch count slider as it adds some realism to both the human and CPU pitchers in terms of hitting spots.

Also, use the "wide" ump zone for more balls called.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #57
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Make sure to max out the CPU pitch count slider as it adds some realism to both the human and CPU pitchers in terms of hitting spots.

Also, use the "wide" ump zone for more balls called.

MizzouRah, would you mind simming a few seasons and seeing how things that us FOFCers normally like to see in games turn out? Over at OS, they've been talking about broken trades, FA, contracts, and everything else that basically makes a good career game, a good career game. I would normally just go out and pick it up, as its only $40, but considering that I'd have to shell out the cash for a PS2 as well, I might hold off.

Ultimately, I want to play manage only solo, but if those things are broken, then it might not be more than a "Season Sim".

Again, everything that I've read about the on the field stuff has been great, but the other stuff really has me concerned.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #58
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
MizzouRah, would you mind simming a few seasons and seeing how things that us FOFCers normally like to see in games turn out? Over at OS, they've been talking about broken trades, FA, contracts, and everything else that basically makes a good career game, a good career game. I would normally just go out and pick it up, as its only $40, but considering that I'd have to shell out the cash for a PS2 as well, I might hold off.

Ultimately, I want to play manage only solo, but if those things are broken, then it might not be more than a "Season Sim".

Again, everything that I've read about the on the field stuff has been great, but the other stuff really has me concerned.

I'm on call this week, but I'll see what I can do for ya. Console games have never been great "career" wise, but I'm going to play every single game, so all of that doesn't really make it by the time the next iterration comes along.

There is an option you can turn on at the start of your franchise that will allow YOU to make any and all trades for any team to coinside with RL.

BTW, spring training is so much fun.. the AI even plays it right, taking out starters after 3 or so innings, they even play in Florida (the Cardinals)

I've moved up to veteran level with the pitch count slider maxed out and I may max out the error sliders as well.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #59
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
I'm on call this week, but I'll see what I can do for ya. Console games have never been great "career" wise, but I'm going to play every single game, so all of that doesn't really make it by the time the next iterration comes along.

There is an option you can turn on at the start of your franchise that will allow YOU to make any and all trades for any team to coinside with RL.

BTW, spring training is so much fun.. the AI even plays it right, taking out starters after 3 or so innings, they even play in Florida (the Cardinals)

I've moved up to veteran level with the pitch count slider maxed out and I may max out the error sliders as well.

Thanks in advance. Even if there's an option to set CPU rosters to all, and just let it run while your doing something else, that would give us enough numbers to clarify a few rumors that are going out there.

Perfectly understandable that console games aren't going to provide the same type of realism as OOTP type games, but my criteria is the "some semblance of reality" test.

Are contracts REALLY random? From what they are saying over at OS, they are making it seems like they are completely random. Or is it just the # of years that are random? I could live with number of years being random, but if #5 starters are being priced out at 12 million a year, and a #1 is 1 million a year, thats a pretty big issue to me.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #60
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Well the record book feature doesn't seem to work right. One season in and the career record for HR is now 16,910 and was set by someone named Waylon Luna. Luna appears to be a double threat as he also has the career SB record of 23,311.

I know it doesn't matter, just thought it was funny.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #61
FBPro
College Starter

Today I began:

-a career(where you as a player try to make the majors).
AND
-a franchise(where you are the GM of the team).

I've not gotten too far into either but I like what I've seen so far, no show-stoppers yet. I'll try to post more thoughts as I play, just began my spring break so hope to get in quite a bit this week.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 12:10 AM   #62
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Does the level you play on affect trades in a franchise mode? CPU to CPU trading seems alright but very rare(Biggest trade was Jim Thome to the O's for some catcher named Ha)

But I was messing around and was able to fleece the CPU with the following trades.

CF Tony Womack to the Angels for SP Ervin Santana
SS Rich Aurilia to the Mariners for SP Felix Hernandez
CF Desmond Parnell to the Blue Jays for SP Gustavo Chacin, and I could have had Halladay instead but he was earning too much money for me to trade for him.

Now I'm playing on Rookie level when I play my games, but still to trade junk, junk, and more junk for three top young starting pitchers does seem odd.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #63
FBPro
College Starter

Not really done anything with trades so far.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #64
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FWIW, Gamespot gave the game a 9.0. I believe that is their highest review of a sports game in the last year. However, I don't get the sense that they really examined the career mode in long term depth.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:42 AM   #65
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Played my first "season" game - Tampa at Baltimore. Rodrigo Lopez had a shutout through 6, but so did Scott Kazmir. I don't know what it is with me playing console games, but my immediate thoughts are, "ok, everyone's going to be pitching shutouts now." Not the case as both pitchers began to tire and the bullpens had to do their work. I scored a few runs and brought in new closer Chris Ray to protect a 4-3 lead in the 9th. Of course I give up a two-run double with two outs and an insurance run as well. Down 6-4, we get a run back, but that's the way it ends - a 6-5 loss. A LOT of fun (again).

I have a Friday night WoW group (with my wife) and a friend. She was hoping it would end early to get some sleep and I was hoping it would end early so I could finish this game .

Todd - isn't the "wide" ump zone causing more strikes to be called? I would think calling the game "tight" would cause more balls.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I love the fact that you're pitching to a spot in the strike zone and then the breaking ball breaks from that spot. Took a while for Rodrigo Lopez to get his curve ball moving, but once he did it was lights-out.

Just a heck of a lot of fun to actually play the games, and thus I won't run into any of the franchise mode issues that people have talked about here. Though franchise interests me, I don't have enough patience to sim multiple seasons nor do I trust the AI to let my team to play without me .
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 AM   #66
CraigSca
Pro Starter

dola

does anyone know what you have to do in order to unlock the locked teams?
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2006, 06:08 AM   #67
CraigSca
Pro Starter

double dola

Can someone explain to me how MLB2k6 has the "exclusive" MLB license this year, yet MLB06: The Show has all the players and teams? If this is the case, then how come EA had to go the college route?
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #68
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
double dola

Can someone explain to me how MLB2k6 has the "exclusive" MLB license this year, yet MLB06: The Show has all the players and teams? If this is the case, then how come EA had to go the college route?
Good question, no clue.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:54 AM   #69
Philliesfan980
Banned

Great question on the MLB exclusive license issue. Maybe 2K sports "sublet" the license? If thats the case, really disappointing that EA didn't step up and pay some cash to get MVP out this year.

Good to hear more positive comments about the "on the field" experience. The more I think about it, I might just get this to play out a 162 game season. By the time I finish that up, NCAA should be into its 1st or 2nd month, and I'll be engrossed with that. How many times do we really get into franchise mode anyway with console games.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #70
BigDPW
College Prospect

MLB2K has the third party game rights... There are still no restrictions on 1st party developers signing deals with MLB... Nintendo, 989, Microsoft, etc...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 AM   #71
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
double dola

Not sure if I'm saying this correctly but it goes something like this. Take Two has the "3rd party exclusive rights". What this means is if you make the system
that the game will be played on you can still obtain a mlb license. So, Sony or Microsoft can make a mlb game since they make the playstation and xbox. EA of course doesn't make hardware, only software so they are kept out of the mix.

This is my understanding of it, I'm sure somebody else could explain it better in detail but that is the jist of it.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:18 AM   #72
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Ah - so MLB "The Show" is made by Sony (989?) and therefore able to get their own license. Thanks.
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #73
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Played my first "season" game - Tampa at Baltimore. Rodrigo Lopez had a shutout through 6, but so did Scott Kazmir. I don't know what it is with me playing console games, but my immediate thoughts are, "ok, everyone's going to be pitching shutouts now." Not the case as both pitchers began to tire and the bullpens had to do their work. I scored a few runs and brought in new closer Chris Ray to protect a 4-3 lead in the 9th. Of course I give up a two-run double with two outs and an insurance run as well. Down 6-4, we get a run back, but that's the way it ends - a 6-5 loss. A LOT of fun (again).

I have a Friday night WoW group (with my wife) and a friend. She was hoping it would end early to get some sleep and I was hoping it would end early so I could finish this game .

Todd - isn't the "wide" ump zone causing more strikes to be called? I would think calling the game "tight" would cause more balls.

Like someone mentioned earlier, I love the fact that you're pitching to a spot in the strike zone and then the breaking ball breaks from that spot. Took a while for Rodrigo Lopez to get his curve ball moving, but once he did it was lights-out.

Just a heck of a lot of fun to actually play the games, and thus I won't run into any of the franchise mode issues that people have talked about here. Though franchise interests me, I don't have enough patience to sim multiple seasons nor do I trust the AI to let my team to play without me .

I'm playing on "season" mode also and leaving my "franchise mode" gaming to ootp like always. Playing out the games on the console to me is where the fun is at and this game is going to do a good job of that.

I love getting the breaking balls to work. Starting them outside the zone and bringing them in is very realistic. Or starting the slider at the middle of the plate to see the batter be fooled and swing when the ball is 6 inches off the corner is gold. Or a good curve just falling off the table or droping into the top of the zone. I could go on but you get the picture.

I've wondered about the "tight" "wide" umpire and how it would affect the game. I've only played with wide and have had many pitches that are in the strike zone, at least by the graph, called balls. I'll probably try the tight for a game just to see what the difference is.

I have played 4 spring games now and one exibition when I first opened the box. Straight veteren level with no slider adjustments seem to be giving me a very realistic game. Lot's of variance to the scores and the pitchers "seem" to really have different skill levels. That is some are very easy to hit while others are very hard.

As I posted before I love the presentation but am finding if you sit and watch all the stuff games can take quite a while to play. I think for the rest of spring I'll turn them down and then in regular season have them on for one game of each series. Cool to think that turning off this stuff hurts the experience instead of helping it. Total opposite of most games I've played.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #74
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Yeah, it's funny. The between-pitch animations are so realistic, I find myself compelled to watch them and only then realize the game is taking almost as long to play as a RL baseball game. I have to "remind" myself as well to click the button to get on with it (so I can get more than one game in), but it's so tempting sometimes to just play it as is. I do LOVE when an inning ends and an animation starts like the runner out at first taking off his shin guard and talking to the first base coach while the broadcasters and the on-screen score graphics look and sound EXACTLY like you're watching a RL broadcast. Flippin' unreal.

I started my season after simming all the spring training games (I'm surprised you can't change the amount of grapefruit league games), but I may start over again and just play a few of them, again just to get more immersed (and because it's so fun).
how do you know?

Old 03-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #75
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, that was the great think about how 2ksports did the exclusive license. They really only screwed over EAsports and it was clearly a very directed move against EAsports. They didn't stop any of the 1st party makers from making their own games and probably got their license for less money than if they went for total exclusivity.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Gamespot gives the game a 9.0.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/m...page=1&q=&q=&q=
Old 03-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #77
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...1&postcount=64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
FWIW, Gamespot gave the game a 9.0. I believe that is their highest review of a sports game in the last year. However, I don't get the sense that they really examined the career mode in long term depth.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #78
hukarez
College Starter

Huh?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #79
ShaefIllini
Mascot

Quote:

Typical Mizzou, always a step slow.
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #80
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
Typical Mizzou, always a step slow.

jb must be one of the new mods...
Old 03-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #81
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training is over and I open up the season in Philly to take on the Phillies.

Playing on veteran, "wide" ump consistancy, pitch count slider maxed out and errors for both +2.

Game was a blast, I lost 8 to 4, here's the line:

STL 4 15 0
PHI 8 13 0

Carpenter had 7 k's but gave up a triple, had a wild pitch, and then Utley came up and went yard, OUCH! Fun game though.. Edmonds lost one in the sunlight, J Rod was thrown out of the game for arguing a close call at first, they did the replay and he was just out, correct call. The bell rang on the two Philly HR's. Philly's CF robbed a bomb by Rolen.. it was just a great game of baseball. This game has it all, presentation, top notch pbp, and on veteran, the game is just my speed as I only have to guess "4" zones. Ok, I'm old.

I still need about 25 games under my belt for a better overall observation about the gameplay, but for now it's better than HH 2002 was. In fact, it's time for Mulder to take the mound and even up our record.

Oh also there's gametime decisions ( I haven't had one yet ) but I've read before certain games you are presented with a problem ( Mulder's shoulder is sore ) and you have to make a choice to rest him or let him pitch... should be fun to see this in action.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 PM   #82
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I still need about 25 games under my belt for a better overall observation about the gameplay, but for now it's better than HH 2002 was.

If you are saying that after 25 games, I will purchase, for sure.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:12 PM   #83
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Dammit. Between "The Show" and Guitar Hero I may finally have to break down and get a PS2.

Curse you people!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 PM   #84
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
If you are saying that after 25 games, I will purchase, for sure.

Mulder came out pitching, but ran into a bad inning and I'm now 0-2 to start the season.

STL 3 11 1
PHI 4 8 0

I think Philly is over using their RP (#44, I forget his name), as he's been in both games and for 2-3 innings, but they're 2-0 so I won't say much else.

Eckstein has a terrible arm though and a speedy runner always has a chance when a ball is hit to short.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #85
ShaefIllini
Mascot

I see it took you 26 hits for 7 runs, do you see any imbalance between singles and extra-base hits?
ShaefIllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #86
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaefIllini
I see it took you 26 hits for 7 runs, do you see any imbalance between singles and extra-base hits?

Not really, well maybe a tad. BUT.. it's hard for me to pick up a hard hit ball to the outfield.. meaning is he going to catch it or not? That screws up my baserunning sometimes.

I do know the Phillies CF catches just about everything hit to CF. Sheesh.. I've had some great blasts and out of nowhere he snags them.. can you say, double play as my guy is running home from second base.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #87
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I have seen some odd free agent signings. Players like Travis Hafner will take 1 year contracts for 2 million over longer deals.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #88
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Played my first two reg season games as the Cubs today. Playing default veteran level with the wide umpire. Doing "season" mode not GM since I play 'em all out and won't get in more than one season anyway. For spring training though I only went through my rotation once to see everyone pitch. I had to skip the rest as I was anxious to get started for real.

First two games at Cinncinati with a day off between them. Zambrano pitching for me and Milton for the Reds. Anyway first two innings scoreless when Barret comes up to lead off the third and drills a HR to left, 1-0 Cubs. Then Cedeno comes up and promptly gets hit by a pitch. I have to say it almost looked intentional, it was up and in. Maybe a little frustration after Barret's HR? Pierre ends up getting on and then Lee unloads a 3 run job followed by Ramirez with a dinger of his own. Milton's confidence meter was empty and while he got through the third they took him out in the fourth. Seemed like the whole Reds team lost it after that and it was a hit parade with the score ending up 9-3.

Game 2 Prior vs Harang. This time Cin gets a good start with a 2 run bomb by Lopez. Prior gets things back under control but with a lot of pitches thrown he gives up a run in the 5th, we're down 3-0. Got a couple back in the 6th when N. Perez, ph for Prior, and Pierre get on and Ramirez doubles them home. Score now 3-2 and we're back in the game. Ohman comes it to pitch the 6th and promptly gives up a dinger to Dunn and hits to Griffey and Pena. Reds end up scoring 2 to make it 5-2. Move on to the top of the 9th with two on and Jacque Jones at the plate. Jones gets ahead in the count and looks for the Reds closer to try to slip a slider in under his hands. Gets the pitch but is out in front and bombs it about 400 feet foul. Flies out on the next pitch followed by a Barret flyball to end the game at 5-2.

Two very good games, each with a different feel. I was really afraid after the first game that I had caught up with the hitting but the second game proved that untrue. Only two games but doubles haven't been lacking as I hit 4 in the two games. Have to like the one Ramirez hit. Just like real life hammers it to the gap and has to slide into second on a play that is a lot closer than it should be. While D. Lee hit one to about the same place and was standing on
second when the throw got there.

One impression I have gotten is that there seems to be a kind of realistic momentem in the pitching. In Zambrano's game it seemed like he just got on a roll. His confidence was up, he kept throwing pitches to the same spots and so it seemed the ump became more likely to give him the benefit of the doubt calling strikes.

In the same game Milton's confidence was shot and the ball seemed to be all over the strike zone, no consistency. And at least it seemed to me that this resulted in him not getting many close calls and an increase in just plain bad calls. Then again maybe it was just my imagination. It will be something I watch as my season progresses.

So the game still impresses. I was afraid it might not after MVP last year but that worry is now gone.

Tons of little things seem to be done right in the game. When the ball hits the wall the caroms are as real as I've seen. Bunting looks great, I've pushed the ball past the pitcher, had them run down the line and die, bouncers in front of the plate, and a little pop up that the catcher had to dive for going towards the mound. Catchers blocking balls in the dirt look very cool when you are using the pitcher view. I had my batt shatter and the barrel almost made it to second base.

Only played seven games so maybe down the line I'll see something I that bothers me. But so far it's as good a video baseball game as I've ever played.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 PM   #89
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Finally won my first game of the seaon as the Phillies went for the sweep. It's the little things like Pujols coming up to bat in the 2nd inning and the annoucers say, "Albert is in the top 10 so far this season in batting average" I can't wait to hear more of this as the season goes on, really cool.

Marquis had it going tonight as we win 2-0 behind 8 innings of good pitching and excellent defense. You could really tell Taguchi was out in LF this game as his speed shows. I only struck out one batter with Marquis, so it was nice to only allow 6 hits and the rest were defensive plays. Veteran provides just enough of a hitting challenge for my console skills.

Now it's on to Chi-town for a series vs the Cubbies.

I was also nice to see someone like Aaron Miles go yard on a perfectally called fastball down low - I guess it right.. both location and pitch type and when the crosshairs lit up, I smashed it. The announcers said, "Miles won't hit many more of these, but he knew exactly what was coming this time". I love the pbp this game has.

I'm moving errors up to +4 for both CPU and Human for the next series.. everything else seems fine for now.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-05-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:33 AM   #90
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm not seeing an issue with doubles to HRs ratio (it's about 10 to 5 for me), though I am seeing a lot of singles. I'm pushing down contact to the lowest number for me and I hiked errors to max minus one for both, though I still see almost zilcho errors.

One thing I thought was really cool - had a runner on third and I hit a slow grounder to first. The CPU first baseman tried to cut off the run at home, but he was safe. Since the batter was fast, he didn't even attempt the throw to first (it would have been futile anyway). The cool part, however, is that I immediately checked the boxscore - and the batter gained an additional bat, but no hit, so it was scored correctly as a FC. I was really pleased with that and surprised that the game was that "smart".
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 03-06-2006 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #91
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone seen a problem with double plays a run scoring when it shouldn't that was mentioned earlier in the thread? If not, I've heard enough good things to take the plunge on this sometime this week.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Has anyone seen a problem with double plays a run scoring when it shouldn't that was mentioned earlier in the thread? If not, I've heard enough good things to take the plunge on this sometime this week.

I'll keep an eye on it tonight.

I do know the fantasy draft is bad.. at least that's what I heard.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #93
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I had one DP to end an inning in my last game with a runner on third. No problem, the run did not score. I will keep watching though until I've seen a few
of theim.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #94
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Just finished the first game of a 3 game set vs the Cards at Wrigley. The Cards turned a DP on me with the bases loaded and one out, no run scored.

Did end up winning 7-6 on a Ramirez walk off homer. Ramirez rounded first pumping his fist and was met by the Cubs bench at the plate. Looper, who was pitching for the Cards went into the dugout and fired his glove off the back wall then sat down and put his head in his hands. Pretty cool.

The game just oozes atmosphere. As MizzouRah mentioned you get many comments from the booth that are related to what is happening in the current season. I too am looking forward to seeing how this developes over a season or if it just becomes repetitive.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #95
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm still playing MVP 2005, and still enjoying it, but this thread is tempting me to buy the game.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #96
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
I'm still playing MVP 2005, and still enjoying it, but this thread is tempting me to buy the game.
Even more, it's tempting me to buy a console.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #97
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just finished the first game of a 3 game set vs the Cards at Wrigley. The Cards turned a DP on me with the bases loaded and one out, no run scored.

Did end up winning 7-6 on a Ramirez walk off homer. Ramirez rounded first pumping his fist and was met by the Cubs bench at the plate. Looper, who was pitching for the Cards went into the dugout and fired his glove off the back wall then sat down and put his head in his hands. Pretty cool.

The game just oozes atmosphere. As MizzouRah mentioned you get many comments from the booth that are related to what is happening in the current season. I too am looking forward to seeing how this developes over a season or if it just becomes repetitive.

Friggin Cubs!

Getting ready to play them myself. Soupy goes to the hill.

So far, the commentary is anything but repetitive, but hey I've only played like 15 games including spring training.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #98
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
I had one DP to end an inning in my last game with a runner on third. No problem, the run did not score. I will keep watching though until I've seen a few
of theim.

Same here - I had a double play end an inning and the runner didn't score either.

Oddly enough I played my last game on my HDTV (I normally play on our 32-inch CRT circa 1995) and the timing was completely different. I had little or no time to react to pitches as well as tap the X button to set up my release point while pitching. Bruce Chen unfortunately had to bear the brunt of it, giving up 4 runs in the first inning (I was throwing the ball all over the place). I even changed controllers thinking it was that. Needless to say, I won't be playing on my big TV anymore. Makes no sense to me, unless I accidentally changed a slider somehwhere (all i did there was change if to 16:9 ratio - and then changed it back when I couldn't pitch worth a lick).

Would love to play again on my 32", but that's in the bedroom and the wife is asleep now. I might need to get a small, lame CRT TV just for this - OR, get a PSP. Hmm....
how do you know?

Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #99
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I would have loved to keep my psp, but man did that thing hurt my eyes after playing last year's MLB.. or any game for that matter. Too bad, because I've read it's just as good on the psp.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #100
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Same here - I had a double play end an inning and the runner didn't score either.

Oddly enough I played my last game on my HDTV (I normally play on our 32-inch CRT circa 1995) and the timing was completely different. I had little or no time to react to pitches as well as tap the X button to set up my release point while pitching. Bruce Chen unfortunately had to bear the brunt of it, giving up 4 runs in the first inning (I was throwing the ball all over the place). I even changed controllers thinking it was that. Needless to say, I won't be playing on my big TV anymore. Makes no sense to me, unless I accidentally changed a slider somehwhere (all i did there was change if to 16:9 ratio - and then changed it back when I couldn't pitch worth a lick).

Would love to play again on my 32", but that's in the bedroom and the wife is asleep now. I might need to get a small, lame CRT TV just for this - OR, get a PSP. Hmm....

Last year, I started out playing MVP 2005 on the 42" flat screen TV in the apartment I shared with some guys at school. When I moved back home, and started playing on my 20" regular TV, it was a major adjustment. So I think if you played some more games on the good screen, it'll come back to you.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote