Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #51
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I tired of Keller in goal.

you cannot POSSIBLY be blaming him for that 3rd goal, can you?

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I tired of Keller in goal.

he had no chance on that 3rd goal, but the 2nd he should have had.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #53
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Watching this team makes you really like, Beasley and Donnovan. I still think Ching is our best striker.

Our best US lineup would of won this game I think.

BTW, compared to the mexico game last week, this game looks like slow mo
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:30 PM   #54
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
he had no chance on that 3rd goal, but the 2nd he should have had.

I agree with you, I'm just tired of him in goal. This team is supposed to be about our young players getting experience etc... So why play him?

He should of had the first goal also. He was real slow coming off the line.

Last edited by astrosfan64 : 06-28-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #55
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Is everyone else stuck watching this in Spanish? I am here in houston and have digital cable, only spanish here.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #56
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I agree with you, I'm just tired of him in goal. This team is supposed to be about our young players getting experience etc... So why play him?

Because all our good young keepers are in Europe, and those teams don't have to release the players since the USA was an invitee to this tourney.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugly

*barf*
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #58
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
ugly

*barf*

Wasn't that offside?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #59
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Now it's painful watching a game that could have been a 2-1 loss turn to 4-1 or worse.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

SICK run by Tevez though. All credit to him for that. Caught the defense totally flat-foot and napping
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #61
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wasn't that offside?

I don't know how close it was.

Tbh since it got to 3-1 I just have it on in the background while playing FM. i've stopped paying 100% of my attention to it
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 PM   #62
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
I don't know how close it was.

Tbh since it got to 3-1 I just have it on in the background while playing FM. i've stopped paying 100% of my attention to it

I'm doing the same thing.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:42 PM   #63
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I feel pretty neutral to maybe slightly positive about the performance. The final score is a little misleading, but the USA just ran out of gas about about the 60 minute mark and it killed them against such a quality team.

The set pieces (both offensively and defensively) were absolutely terrible.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:44 PM   #64
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

given that was a case of "c" team versus "a" team, but that was a pretty dramatic + ugly collapse. those guys should have been able to hold it together a little better than that.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #65
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Because all our good young keepers are in Europe, and those teams don't have to release the players since the USA was an invitee to this tourney.

What...who? Howard is in europe, but who besides him? What good young keepers, pray tell?

Seitz and Guzan are both MLS, and i dont know who else you mean.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #66
moriarty
College Starter

I think it's time for Keller to hang it up too. He looked shaky in the gold cup and shaky on the first two goals (last two no one was stopping). He's still pretty good, but time to let some youngsters besides Howard get some PT.

EJ looked like the old EJ in the first half, then just gassed after the second half. Of course so did most of the team. Our subs were basically pointless (I thought Gaven was a waste). Overall I'm pleased with the first half, disappointed with the second.

Edit - Our problem in this tournament is where are the goals going to come from? Unless EJ scores in the first half of the next two games we're going to have a hard time scoring.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-28-2007 at 09:52 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #67
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The US was just outclassed today. That is the best team in the world. You just shake their hands and say you are better than we are. The US did not bunker and played some quality football at times. We will see how the next two games go.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #68
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
What...who? Howard is in europe, but who besides him? What good young keepers, pray tell?

Westberg is in France and there is a young keeper going to Everton when he turns 18. He might already be there.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #69
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The US is using this as a developmental tournament. Bradley picked players from MLS who are not having great seasons, but he is attempting to get them back on track. Remember when Gaven and Wynne were wonder boys? Now they lack confidence and he is trying to help them find it.

I think Keller is just about done. He is too slow off his line for the international game. I love Keller and his contributions to American goalkeeping, but it is time for him to step down.

We played Argentina toe to toe for 65 minutes because we pressured them in the midfield. When you Argentina space, you are going to get beat. We ran out of gas. I know Bradley did not want to mess up the chemistry but Beckerman should have come on earlier.

Bornstien was the MoTM in this game, if we had one. I don't know where Ray Hudson got Eddie Johnson from. His touch is much improved, but he is slower now. He is not the same kid he was when he came up.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #70
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am pretty amazed at the people on BigSoccer. I am reading one of these analysis thread and people are being way over critical. I guess they expected us to come out with that squad and beat Argentina.

Wynne seems to be the target for everyone. I thought he played ok. He marked Messi for crying out loud. I think Wynne's game needs to improve, but he is young and it will. Yes, he blew a couple of offside traps but it was first international game and that is going to happen.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #71
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I am pretty amazed at the people on BigSoccer. I am reading one of these analysis thread and people are being way over critical.

Good evening, and welcome to FOFC News. In tonight's top story, Internet users have an inflated sense of critical acuity. Film to follow.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #72
MrBug708
Head Coach

Guarding Messi in your first INT'L isn't an easy task
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #73
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I am pretty amazed at the people on BigSoccer. I am reading one of these analysis thread and people are being way over critical. I guess they expected us to come out with that squad and beat Argentina.

Wynne seems to be the target for everyone. I thought he played ok. He marked Messi for crying out loud. I think Wynne's game needs to improve, but he is young and it will. Yes, he blew a couple of offside traps but it was first international game and that is going to happen.

Wynne was awful. I think he's learned some REALLY bad habits in MLS, where his speed is such an advantage in recovery. You cant constantly give your guy 20 yards of space when the opponent is Argentina.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:02 AM   #74
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Wynne was awful. I think he's learned some REALLY bad habits in MLS, where his speed is such an advantage in recovery. You cant constantly give your guy 20 yards of space when the opponent is Argentina.

Agreed, he looked pretty bad.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:16 AM   #75
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Carlos Tevez again. There's a name I hope I never hear again as long as I live, being a Sheffield United supporter. Should know the Blades' fate in a day or two.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 AM   #76
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Carlos Tevez again. There's a name I hope I never hear again as long as I live, being a Sheffield United supporter. Should know the Blades' fate in a day or two.

The only thing that can possibly happen is finiancial compensation. I would say there is about 0 chance they send West Ham down at this point.

And you forgot how quickly things move in the decision making process. Even if this pending decision breaks Sheffield United's way, that only means its time for a new FA panel to rule on the situation again. This is a ruling on whether the first ruling sucked, not a new ruling itself.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #77
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I didn't think he was that bad ... and I'm not sure i can count too many times he gave someone 20 yards of space. He was going up against some excellent wingers and held his own fairly well for his first cap.

His biggest problem IMO (as I think GE pointed out) was that he trailed the line a few time ruining our offside trap. I'm fairly sure on the first goal he played the guy onside (although there were 2 others that came close as well).

He's not ready for prime time yet, but he's still quite young and didn't hurt his chances in my book. The thought of the speed with bornstein and Wynne coming up from the back makes me drool. Now if we could find a striker that fast ...
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #78
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Is everyone else stuck watching this in Spanish? I am here in houston and have digital cable, only spanish here.

Trust me, the commentary was better in Spanish. According to the "English" commentary provided by Ray Hudson, I watched the most courageous performance by a US side since they beat England in 1950.

15 minutes of Ray is amusing. 90 is a violation of the Geneva Conventions.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #79
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

USA scenarios:

Mexico must beat Chile today for the USA to be technically alive tomorrow. A draw or a win for Chile and the USA is officially done.

USA also realistically needs Brazil to not lose. If Ecuador beats Brazil, the USA will have to win by an absurd amount of goals (4+) to advance.

Really, the USA needs Mexico to win by 2-0, or by 3 goals or more if Chile manages to score in the game.

CT's USA advancement scenario:
  • Mexico beats Chile 2-0, or if Chile scores Mexico wins by 3 or more goals
  • Ecuador doesn't beat Brazil
If those two things happen, the USA would need to just win while scoring 2+ goals to advance (actual margin of victory wouldn't matter, but scoring 2 goals would be essential).

dream scenario would be a Mexico 3-0 win over Chile (and Ecuador not winning) which would then make any USA win good enough.

This is a situation where the cheap goals the US let up in the first two games could really bite them in the ass.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-04-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #80
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Brazil vs. Ecuador tonight for all those not interested in fireworky junk
Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #81
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Gotta love a second game that borders on match-fixing... two teams that are perfectly content to kick it back and forth all night when a tie works for both. (Mexico-Chile)

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 07-04-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #82
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Gotta love a second game that borders on match-fixing... two teams that are perfectly content to kick it back and forth all night when a tie works for both. (Mexico-Chile)

It looked to me that Chile were playing for the win, they were unlucky too as they should have had a penalty. Mexico were playing for the tie while resting most of their first team, but this was nothing like the Venezuela v Uruguay game with both teams settling.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #83
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It looked to me that Chile were playing for the win, they were unlucky too as they should have had a penalty. Mexico were playing for the tie while resting most of their first team, but this was nothing like the Venezuela v Uruguay game with both teams settling.

I'll agree that the Uruguay game was WAY worse. It was really beyond ridiculous. This was to a lesser degree, but pretty much the same thing.

USA doesn't deserve to advance anyway... now they can play some more borderline/youngsters and get them a good look tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:22 AM   #84
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:

Finally, things going the way theyre supposed to in this tournament. Draw +220, I love it when a plan comes together.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM   #85
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Welcome to the world of soccer.

Actually, the result perfectly fits in how the tournament has been set up, with the group 'draw' and playoff tree setup. I really don't understand why Mexico would want to win that group, 2nd place means a much easier path to the final. In fact, one could argue that this was the best possible result for Brazil, they just had to advance and avoid winning the group. Now, Mexico is destined to play Argentina in the quarterfinals, or Paraguay in the quarters and Argentina in the semis (providing they actually beat Paraguay). Brazil really sneaked into the cupcake part of the playoff three, with both third placed teams and a very likely semi's matchup against Venezuela.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #86
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Great to see the USA D team lose today.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #87
MrBug708
Head Coach

Did anyone just watch the Brazil game? I think Uruguay has a legit complaint on that last PK kick...as soon as the ref blew his whistle, the GK ran straight out and blocked the shot
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 PM   #88
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Did anyone just watch the Brazil game? I think Uruguay has a legit complaint on that last PK kick...as soon as the ref blew his whistle, the GK ran straight out and blocked the shot

Yeah, there is coming off your line and then there is that... he was WAY the hell off the line before the PK taker kicked the ball.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:56 AM   #89
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Yeah, there is coming off your line and then there is that... he was WAY the hell off the line before the PK taker kicked the ball.

Yeah, he did come off his line early. However I think the pk would have been right at the keeper anyway. Perhaps the keeper rushing out had alot to do with it. I can't complain too much since Dudek did the same thing to help Liverpool win with Champions League in 05.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #90
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post

Seitz is playing quite well with the U20s. Not sure what faults have him behind Rimando at ISL.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #91
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Argentina in 2010 is going to be scary.

Mexico could have been so in this game though, 2 shots off the post when they had absolutely fantastic opportunities.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:04 PM   #92
Critch
lolzcat

Messi's goal from last night to make it 2-0:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBHC3MQexg
Old 07-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #93
Critch
lolzcat

So Brazil won the final 3-0. Fairly disappointing game, other that the first 15 minutes when Brazil opened the scoring and Argentina hit the post. Two nice goals and an own goal finished Argentina off.

Brazil's tactics were similar to Mexico's v Argentina, kick Riquelme hard and as often as possible til he vanishes into his shell. Worked perfectly, flow of play would be Riquelme gets the ball, Riquelme gets kicked for a freekick, Riquelme tries the same lofted freekick into the area yet again, Juan heads it clear.

The defense looked very familiar with that play.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #94
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That must piss Argentina off. My understanding is that they went all out this year to try and win the thing while Brazil didn't necessarily field their best team.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #95
Critch
lolzcat

Yeah, Brazil were missing a handful of their best players who wanted to rest. No Ronaldinho or Kaka, they took along mainly inexperienced squad players. Argentina were at pretty much full strength.

Second time in a row Brazil have sent a weakened squad and beaten Argentina in the final.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #96
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
This is truly a horrible, horrible time of year for sports.

Sadly, I was flipping between this game which had the makings of a classic where everyone was worred that Argentina would run away with it. The og broke their backs and spirit. 2h was a snoozefest.

The best alternate sports event was NOT the WNBA All-star game but the yawner that was the Sheetrock 400. Highlighted by one mediocre crash and Lil E driving 180 without power steering.

3 weeks away from preseason

6 weeks away from college football.

Stay on target. Stay on target.