Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Do you want the Colts to go undefeated and win the Super Bowl?
Yes. 88 66.67%
No. 35 26.52%
Trout. 9 6.82%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #51
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
so what if the colts get to 18-0 but then lose the superbowl? still better than the dolphins since miami only had 17?

that would be hilarious

st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:08 PM   #52
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

No, I want the Eagles to be the team to do it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #53
wade moore
lolzcat

I am a Peyton fan which has made me become a Colts fan (although my Skins still come first) and I would love to see them go undefeated... but, the bigger goal as others have mentioned is the superbowl.. I don't care if they go 12-4, as long as they win the super bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:24 PM   #54
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
so what if the colts get to 18-0 but then lose the superbowl? still better than the dolphins since miami only had 17?

From last year with the Pats:

A New England victory would boost the Patriots to 18 consecutive wins, including the playoffs. That total would tie five teams for the longest winning streaks in NFL history: 1933-34 Chicago Bears, 1941-42 Chicago Bears, 1972-73 Miami Dolphins, 1989-90 San Francisco 49ers and the 1997-98 Denver Broncos.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #55
Raiders Army
Coordinator

If I didn't say it before, this thread needs more trout.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

I voted yes and it has nothing to do with the 72 team whose story gets WAAY overplayed. I am hoping that, with this being a copycat league, teams begin to emulate the Colts. They have had the same QB for 8 yrs, their starting RB has been there for 7 yrs, one of their starting WR has been 10 yrs, their O-Line has a couple new pieces but it also has guys who have been there for 5+ years. Finally they have has the same offensive coordinator for 8 yrs. In a league where you see coaches and coordinators getting fired and moving from team to team, it is nice to see what a team with a core group that is together that long.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #57
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A smart man
I can't wait to see New England win their division at 8-8, then get to the 2nd round of the playoffs and have Peyton Manning pick them apart and lose 49-10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
that would be hilarious

Indeed it would.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:10 AM   #58
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not perfect until you go though whole way, in my opinion. Still would be a hell of an achievement either way, soft schedule or not.

As for the Pats era being over, not sure how anyone can say that until they have a season like this with a stable full of healthy players. But I'm not going to be parading around the idea of the Pats ending the Colts streak in the playoffs. I'd LOVE to see that, but this isn't 03 or 04 .

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 AM   #59
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Didn't the Pats have a losing season after the first SB and still came back to win 2 more? I wouldn't bury them yet, even if this season ends with a whimper.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-06-2005 at 07:11 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:13 AM   #60
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061
Not perfect until you go though whole way, in my opinion. Still would be a hell of an achievement either way, soft schedule or not.

As for the Pats era being over, not sure how anyone can say that until they have a season like this with a stable full of healthy players. But I'm not going to be parading around the idea of the Pats ending the Colts streak in the playoffs. I'd LOVE to see that, but this isn't 03 or 04 .

Soft schedule?

You've got to be kidding me..

Steelers... Bengals... Jaguars twice... they may have some easier teams, but they have beaten some of the top teams in the AFC...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 12-06-2005, 07:15 AM   #61
Ksyrup

The first half of their schedule was undeniably soft. However, if they get through this entire season undeated, I don't see how anyone can suggest they didn't earn it. Just the next 3 weeks are going to be a good test.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 AM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
The first half of their schedule was undeniably soft. However, if they get through this entire season undeated, I don't see how anyone can suggest they didn't earn it. Just the next 3 weeks are going to be a good test.

And again, 3 tough games already (Pittsburgh, Cincy, and Jax)

Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 AM   #63
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
Soft schedule?

You've got to be kidding me..

Steelers... Bengals... Jaguars twice... they may have some easier teams, but they have beaten some of the top teams in the AFC...

Figures you'd latch right on to that, even though I said it didn't matter. Yes, it was an easy schedule. Last time I saw the stats it was the 1st or 2nd easiest in the league.

But like I said, I don't think it matters. 16 wins is 16 wins. Nearly all teams would trip up somewhere along the lines, no matter who they are playing. But if it helps you digest the Colts/Pats rivalry you can pretend I didn't say that.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:41 AM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Figures you'd latch right on to that, even though I said it didn't matter. Yes, it was an easy schedule. Last time I saw the stats it was the 1st or 2nd easiest in the league.

But like I said, I don't think it matters. 16 wins is 16 wins. Nearly all teams would trip up somewhere along the lines, no matter who they are playing. But if it helps you digest the Colts/Pats rivalry you can pretend I didn't say that.

When is the last time you saw SOS?

http://www.theredzone.org/strength.asp
http://www.fftoday.com/sos/sos.htm

Both of these show the Colts as middle of the road, and that is without the games coming up for the rest of the season.

I won't say that the Colts have the hardest schedule, but to say it is soft is silly...

Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 07:43 AM   #65
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

When it was based off of last season .

Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 AM   #66
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
When it was based off of last season .

Good lord man! ...

Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #67
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

I voted no, only because I would like to see the Bengals win the Super Bowl. Colts would probably be my number 2 choice though.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #68
Ksyrup

Looks like Dungy may be softening his stance a bit. And hey, if someone gets hurt, he can just blame God!

Coach Tony Dungy reversed field a bit, saying he is unsure how he'll handle playing time once the Colts clinch homefield advantage.
The e-mails and phone calls from Peyton Manning owners must have had an impact, because Dungy is now turning to a higher power for advice on the issue. "I'll pray about it, try to get some wisdom from the Lord as to what to do," Dungy said. "If we decide to play our guys, which I'm sure they'll all want to play, I'll pray that they don't get hurt and we can go out and keep winning.'' Dec. 6 - 10:03 am et
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 AM   #69
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd play them just to keep the momentum rolling into the playoffs.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #70
Daimyo
College Starter

Colts had a very soft schedule to start the season, but when all is said and done they will have played the Pats, Steelers, Bengals, Chargers, Seahawks, and Jaguars(twice) so strength of schedule shouldn't even enter the conversation if they go undefeated. If you want to talk about strength of schedule look at the '72 Dolphins... I believe that ranks as one of the easiest in NFL history with I believe only two teams at or above 500.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:21 AM   #71
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's almost like the Dolphins were in IHOF's famed Shitcan Division.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #72
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Does anyone else realize that the Tennessee game was Tony 100th victory as a head coach?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo
Does anyone else realize that the Tennessee game was Tony 100th victory as a head coach?

Actually we had a discussion at work about this. Assuming the Colts go to and win the Super Bowl, is Dungy then considered a great coach? At the end of his tenure in Tampa, he was thought of as a good coach who could not take a team to the next level. I am not sure that all of a sudden he learned how to take a team to the Super Bowl since he left Tampa. Now before anyone starts, THIS IS NOT A RACIAL QUESTION!

Last edited by miami_fan : 12-06-2005 at 08:05 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:08 PM   #74
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I can only imagine how the Patriot fans will try to trivialize the accomplishment if Peyton does lead them to a Super Bowl win following a perfect season. "Their schedule was soft blah blah blah..."

Their schedule was soft, blah blah blah.

Still think they're a good team though, obviously.

Last edited by Desnudo : 12-06-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #75
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Actually we had a discussion at work about this. Assuming the Colts go to and win the Super Bowl, is Dungy then considered a great coach? At the end of his tenure in Tampa, he was thought of as a good coach who could not take a team to the next level. I am not sure that all of a sudden he learned how to take a team to the Super Bowl since he left Tampa. Now before anyone starts, THIS IS NOT A RACIAL QUESTION!

Good question. I have wondered about this, because I have a feeling that if they win the Super Bowl, most would say it was all because of Manning and little to do with Dungy.

Dungy was smart enough to understand not to change the offensive system when he got there and it has proven to pay off in the continued development of Manning. A number of other coaches would have brought in their own people to take over most of that.

And although the defense isn't the best in the league, they are good enough at this point to win games.

I believe he is very close to being a great coach and only because of his tenure and the amount of playoff appearances he has appeared in. A Super Bowl win and/or more will help him reach that great title and that title would be well deserved.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:50 PM   #76
Daimyo
College Starter

Dungy is a great coach. Tampa didn't win the super bowl because they changed coaches, they won because they added offensive talent to the team.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:13 AM   #77
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD
The people bitching about the 72 Dolphins really need to get their facts straight:

From King's MMQB:

The Colts' loss to San Diego ended at 4:21 p.m. EST. By 6:07, quotes from seven 1972 Dolphins players, plus coach Don Shula, were in my e-mail, from the Miami PR staff. Efficient, to be sure. But does that team have to be so publicly joyful EVERY time the last unbeaten team loses a game, keeping the legacy of the only unbeaten NFL team ever intact?

I rest my case.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #78
Butter
Coordinator

And they had a press conference... after which Steve Levy or some helpful Sportscenter wag on the 7 PM Sunday Sportscenter said "did they really need to hold a press conference for this?" or something similar.

Plus, when Bob Griese said "we were really pulling for them", you can hear Shula in the background saying, "what's this 'we' stuff?"
Old 12-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #79
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I just voted 'Yes' for the Colts to go undefeated.

Last edited by Cringer : 12-19-2005 at 11:06 AM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #80
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Ah, now I can go back to my rightful place rooting AGAINST Peyton and the Colts.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #81
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Their schedule was soft, blah blah blah.

Even though we are no longer undefeated, I don't buy this excuse from a Pats fan. This season each team has a win over the following teams that are currently in the playoffs.

New England:

@ Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay

Indy:

Jacksonville, @ New England, @ Cincy, Pittsburgh, @ Jacksonville

It is just as much about who you play as who you beat?

Last edited by dubb93 : 12-19-2005 at 02:32 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote