Old 01-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #51
oykib
College Starter

We've got our ten. Voting's closed.

oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:36 AM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not really to be an ass or anything, but Pat Tillman? Yeah, he did a courageous thing, but this is SPORTSman of the year, right? Are we counting how well he shot during training?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:14 AM   #53
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Not really to be an ass or anything, but Pat Tillman? Yeah, he did a courageous thing, but this is SPORTSman of the year, right? Are we counting how well he shot during training?
Seems only fair that if you're going to nominate people like Lance Armstrong and Mia Hamm, largely for their inspirational and positive contributions off-the-field, then Tillman should be there too.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #54
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Whoa...Lance Armstrong did win the Tour de France...for a record breaking sixth time...something he did in 2004.

I'm not saying that Pat Tillman did not contribute inspirationally, but to say that their accomplishments in 2004 were equal is not right.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #55
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Whoa...Lance Armstrong did win the Tour de France...for a record breaking sixth time...something he did in 2004.
True. But let's not pretend that Armstrong would be a top-level sports celebrity in the US without his other struggles. I doubt many Americans could name the winners of any other cycling events. I doubt many Americans could any other cycling events, period. If he was known only for cycling, Armstrong would be a minor figure in the US sports world, one that you'd hear about for a day or two once a year and that would be it. It's because of what he's had to overcome and what he's done for others that he's become so much more than that.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #56
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
True. But let's not pretend that Armstrong would be a top-level sports celebrity in the US without his other struggles. I doubt many Americans could name the winners of any other cycling events. I doubt many Americans could any other cycling events, period. If he was known only for cycling, Armstrong would be a minor figure in the US sports world, one that you'd hear about for a day or two once a year and that would be it. It's because of what he's had to overcome and what he's done for others that he's become so much more than that.
Point taken...and that is why I didn't touch Mia Hamm.

I agree completely that if someone were to win the record-breaking 10th consecutive World Championship of Curling, I probably wouldn't know who that is...and the same for cycling, for the most part. I do think that cycling is a little more well-known than other sports though.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #57
oykib
College Starter

Hey, it's a popularity contest. I'd have taken Bernard Hopkins over Pat tillman myself. But the people have spoken (posted).
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:23 AM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems only fair that if you're going to nominate people like Lance Armstrong and Mia Hamm, largely for their inspirational and positive contributions off-the-field, then Tillman should be there too.

Yes, but their inspirational and positive contributions were in the realm of SPORTS! Armstrong won the Tour after having cancer and Mia was the most popular womans sports athelete! Tillman served in the military. The only connection with sports is that he used to play for the Cards.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #59
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I have been trying to figure out how Tillman wasn't the slam dunk winner for SI. I guess Red Sox shit sells a lot more copies though.

I would say that Pat Tillman was a SPORTSman in the sense that he was a figure in the SPORTSworld.

I read that Schumacher donated 50MM dollars to Asian relief. I guess that makes him second in my book.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:19 PM   #60
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Bullshit. He has done something that no one has ever done before. He would be just as huge, well there wouldn't be the wristbands, if he hadn't have had cancer. We Americans love being the best. We naturally assume we are actually the best in most things. When an American dominates that a sport a good part of the world follows, it is pretty big news here. Hell Greg Lemond was pretty much a household name when he won the tour, and he didn't do it six times in a row. We all know who Dennis Conner is, and he hasn't accomplished near what Lance Armstrong has done. The Cancer survivor part just makes for a nice human interest story.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #61
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24
I have been trying to figure out how Tillman wasn't the slam dunk winner for SI. I guess Red Sox shit sells a lot more copies though.

I would say that Pat Tillman was a SPORTSman in the sense that he was a figure in the SPORTSworld.

I read that Schumacher donated 50MM dollars to Asian relief. I guess that makes him second in my book.

Um no... neither example counts for me. Wow, he was in the sports world. Big deal. He ain't even close to sportsman of the year. What did he accomplish in the sports world?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #62
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Um no... neither example counts for me. Wow, he was in the sports world. Big deal. He ain't even close to sportsman of the year. What did he accomplish in the sports world?

Well actually he is an athlete that did something very selfless and inspiring. I don't think it is that much of a reach, but I do get where you are coming from.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I believe, whether you agree with the conclusion or not, that his inclusion on a number of these lists I've seen lately (not just the one here) runs something along the lines of "a sportsman who transcended sports, and in doing so, elevated sports overall". Or something like that.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #64
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
For a very brief moment, he made the rest of today's modern atheletes stop referring to themselves as soldiers or warriors, stop pretending their stats were life and death, and stop acting like their games are the most important thing in the world.

For that along, he deserves a vote.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-05-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
I believe, whether you agree with the conclusion or not, that his inclusion on a number of these lists I've seen lately (not just the one here) runs something along the lines of "a sportsman who transcended sports, and in doing so, elevated sports overall". Or something like that.

Or something like that is right . His act had nothing to do with sports other than the fact he walked away from them for his action. Does anyone think if he didn't die he would be nominated at all for this award? Why does that make a difference? Is dying why he 'transcended sports' or is it because he left his team to go into army.

No matter the reason, I think it's an idiotic inclusion. YMMV.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 AM   #66
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Or something like that is right . His act had nothing to do with sports other than the fact he walked away from them for his action. Does anyone think if he didn't die he would be nominated at all for this award? Why does that make a difference? Is dying why he 'transcended sports' or is it because he left his team to go into army.

No matter the reason, I think it's an idiotic inclusion. YMMV.

Well what in the hell did Vijay Singh do? He hit golf balls better then Tiger Woods over a 12 month span. That's great and all but who really gives a shit.

Lance Armstrong won another Tour de France? Great - that's 6. We know he's the best at the Tour de France. I guess by this logic if Tillman had survived his time in the service and come back and made an All-Pro team then he'd be eligible.

Bernard Hopkins beat an over the hill boxer - that's great. Maybe everyone who has beat Tyson in the last half dozen years can be considered.

I guess you can have your definition and I can have mine, but three quarters of these nominations are jokes. Someone in the ChampCar series? Maria Sharapova? Noone would even know her name if she looked like Lisa Raymond. Adam Viniteri? He kicks field goals.... he's great at it, but why didn't anyone nominate a bowler or something.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote