Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #51
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can Harvin even run a route tree? Admittedly I've only seen the highlights and gadget type plays but is he even a WR? The Jets certainly need playmakers but I'm not sure this helps Decker out at all.

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #52
mrtourette
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Eric Decker needs someone across from him to do stuff. This is the sort of move they should have done all along. Its low risk at this point, though, even if oit doesn;t pan out long term.

Can he do that though? He seems to be more effective as a slot receiver or running reverses. A dynamic/luxury addition to a functioning offense, not someone who can carry the load or that you can build around on a failing one.
mrtourette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:27 AM   #53
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Is it really low-risk for a team with as many holes as the Jets have to give up draft picks? I feel like everyone loses in this trade:

-The Jets are giving up assets for an expensive, temporary player who will do nothing more than make their future draft picks (which they have less of now anyway) worse.
-The Seahawks are admitting that they made a terrible move by trading for Harvin, selling him low, and getting back...nothing that helps a team whose window of opportunity is now.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #54
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The Jets are giving up assets for an expensive, temporary player who will do nothing more than make their future draft picks (which they have less of now anyway) worse.

Yep. If they made this trade a month ago it would have been great, but now it's giving up assets for a season that's already lost. It's pretty clear it's about Idzik and Ryan keeping their jobs.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #55
Desnudo
Coordinator

Percy harvin could be the difference between 3-13 and 4-12
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Percy harvin could be the difference between 3-13 and 4-12
Yeah but why bother getting Harvin just to try & go 3-13. :P
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #57
SnowMan
High School Varsity

As a Seahawks fan, it was obvious something was wrong with the offense. The last 2 games have been an ugly win and an ugly loss, and the San Diego game makes 3 ugly games for the offense. The team is basically saying Harvin was the problem, and mostly because of off the field issues, such as punching Tate during the SB week, almost getting into it with Wilson this year, etc. I think the cap savings were secondary (I read that his dead money next year is somewhere around 7 mill). We'll see how it goes going forward.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #58
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
As a Seahawks fan, it was obvious something was wrong with the offense. The last 2 games have been an ugly win and an ugly loss, and the San Diego game makes 3 ugly games for the offense. The team is basically saying Harvin was the problem, and mostly because of off the field issues, such as punching Tate during the SB week, almost getting into it with Wilson this year, etc. I think the cap savings were secondary (I read that his dead money next year is somewhere around 7 mill). We'll see how it goes going forward.

Some of my rapid fire thoughts on this.

1) I thought Harvin was the main difference in The Super Bowl last year. The Denver defense was badly injured going into the game and his first few plays really set the tone. Then he essentially ended any prayer of a second half rally by returning that kick for the TD at the start of half #2.

2) Harvin was massive as a decoy and threat. I believe the Seahawks have a couple of other "toys" they want to use more, but time will tell if they are the difference maker Harvin is.

3) Look, they scored 26 points a game last year without him. This isn't going to hurt them in the regular season. The question will be what happens in the playoffs when a team curb stomps Lynch. (He ran all over SF in the NFC title game and NO in the divisional round, he didn't do jack in the Super Bowl, as I stated, those big plays and the threat of Harvin in the Super Bowl was huge)

4) I've stated that I think something is off with Seattle this year. With that said, I think people may be overreacting here. Their schedule has been nothing short of brutal. Packers, @SD, Denver, @Washington, Dallas. Combined record: 19-10. Take off Washington from that and it goes to 18-5 for the other 4 opponents. From the outside, this isn't a team in crisis mode.

5) Maybe things were really has bad behind closed doors as is being made out. The question for me is if Percey universally hated or if this was a 50/50 thing. Locker room divides can be overblown at times, at other times they can destroy a football team.

6) Either way, any opponent of the 'Hawks has to be happy today. They gave up a very talented player with nothing coming back in return this year. Anything that can weaken a potential team you'll play on the road to the Super Bowl is a good thing for your team.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
6) Either way, any opponent of the 'Hawks has to be happy today. They gave up a very talented player with nothing coming back in return this year. Anything that can weaken a potential team you'll play on the road to the Super Bowl is a good thing for your team.
Agreed - this season. But I'd much rather they'd have that money tied up in Harvin going forward than able to lock up the whole core and add the 3rd pass rusher they're desperately missing. (Which they've known about since the spring, hence why they were so mad when the Pats picked Easley in front of them.)

And yeah, no real idea what the Jets are doing.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-18-2014 at 01:33 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow, now seeing it's a 6th that can become a 4th. Seahawks must have been 100% certain they were releasing him this off season cause his dead money basically is canceled out by the money they save this year.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #61
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Oh wow, now seeing it's a 6th that can become a 4th. Seahawks must have been 100% certain they were releasing him this off season cause his dead money basically is canceled out by the money they save this year.
And now the story is saying that he refused to go back in the game vs Dallas last week.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #62
bhlloy
Coordinator

Plus had physical altercations with two of his fellow receivers (once in the buildup to the SB and the second causing both to miss practice time) and rumored to also fought and nearly come to physical blows with his QB? Yeah, I don't see this as a bad decision, at all. He'll fit nicely on the traveling sideshow that is the Jets under Ryan.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was that Tate banging Wilson's wife story true? I'm not sure mediatakeout or black sports online are the best source of info.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Where are ya folks reading all this stuff at? LINKS PLEASE!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Xxp://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/10/harvin-allegedly-punched-golden-tate-for-sleeping-with-russell-wilsons-ex-wife/
Old 10-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's a pic of Tate's wife next to Wilson's ex wife. They look very similar.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #67
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's a pic of Tate's wife next to Wilson's ex wife. They look very similar.
Sounds like an honest mistake to me then.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #68
TroyF
Coordinator

ESPN is reporting the Seahawks called the Broncos about a deal for Harvin. They wanted to talk about Julius Thomas.

I know this is ESPN. I know that a team can offer anything to anyone to kick the tires and start trade talks. That said, what exactly did the Seahawks expect here?

The only thing I can think of is the 'Hawks want to notify his agent of their interest for next off season and used this leak as a way to do it. Problem is, Denver will get one of the Thomas boys signed and franchise the other if they can't get both signed.

What a strange story.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #69
sabotai
General Manager

Next five games for the Giants: at DAL, IND, at SEA, SF, DAL.
Last five games for the Giants: at JAX, at TEN, WAS, at STL, PHI

A pretty brutal five game stretch followed by a relatively easy 5 game stretch. With DAL and PHI at 5-1, I highly doubt the Giants will be able to sneak into the playoffs on a 9-7 record. They could both just go .500 the rest of the year and end up at 10-6.

The way I see it, if the GIants lose 3 of the next 5 games, they will need to run the table to have a shot at the playoffs. Possible with those 5 games at the end, with the last game vs. PHI being the only one that should (...should...) be a tough game if the Giants really are a playoff caliber team. If they manage to go 3-2 over the next 5, they get a bit of breathing room, but that last game vs. PHI will still be a must-win. (In just about any realistic scenario, that last game with PHI will be a must-win).

With the way the Giants' have played so far, I don't see 3-2 being very likely, and 2-3 might still be pushing it. None of their 3 wins have been against teams as good as the next five they are facing. And with Victor Cruz done of the year, it's hard to see how the Giants will suddenly start playing better and more consistent week-to-week.

Then again, this is the NFL and far stranger things have happened.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 PM   #70
Jas_lov
College Starter

Rodgers picking apart Carolina's D. Playing 10 yards off Jordy Nelson probably isn't a good idea.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #71
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Soldier Field's turf is a god damn embarrassment.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #72
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow what an incredible fake out by the punt return team for the Rams against the Seahawks. The team drifted right as if the punt was going right and he was going to fair catch it. Meanwhile the ball had actually gone left to a wide open returner...and he ran it all the way back for a TD. Go Rams!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #73
Thomkal
Head Coach

Rams on a mission-had just one sack coming into this game-have three already in this game. Beginning to be very glad I did not pick Seattle this week for the Survival league
Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #74
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Soldier Field's turf is a god damn embarrassment.
So is Trestman's alleged offensive prowess.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #75
bhlloy
Coordinator

Cam Newton is having about as bad a half throwing the ball as I've seen in a while
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #76
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals were obviously counting on a three week season this year.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:19 PM   #77
TroyF
Coordinator

Early thoughts:

1) The Rams always give the Seahawks a game, but this is bordering on lunacy. Their special teams is comical right now.

2) Tannehill was called out by his coach after the KC game. His last 10 quarters have been very, very good. (a couple of bad throws against the Packers, but overall terrific)

3) Carolina decided they didn't need to show up today from some reason. Packers are good, but the Panthers are beyond flat.

4) CJ Spiller is hurt. Talk about a season that looks so good to start and goes to hell so fast. Hopefully new ownership can get things fixed.

5) Bengals just don't look like the same team.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bortles is looking pretty awful.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #79
Thomkal
Head Coach

Buffalo without RB's Fred Jackson (groin) and now Spiller (took him off on a cart-looks like broken collarbone or dislocated shoulder?)
Old 10-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #80
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
So is Trestman's alleged offensive prowess.

I'm not sure what Trestman is supposed to do to combat Cutler being Cutler.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #81
bhlloy
Coordinator

Rivera just kicked a FG to make it 28-3 rather than go for it. Smart.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #82
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Buffalo without RB's Fred Jackson (groin) and now Spiller (took him off on a cart-looks like broken collarbone or dislocated shoulder?)

Those two cats just can't stay healthy.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #83
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bengals outgained 268 to 27 in the first half. It's amazing that it's only 10-0.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #84
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Rivera just kicked a FG to make it 28-3 rather than go for it. Smart.

There was, what, 3 seconds left and thjey were near the 15? I'm all for aggressive play. That just would have been stupid. He needed to kick the FG there and take the points.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #85
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bortles, wtf.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #86
kingfc22
Head Coach

Soooo Kirk Cousins is not the answer. No Matt Flynn'ing for him.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #87
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Rams Seahawks are a solid game - who'd havce hought?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #88
kingfc22
Head Coach

Suck it Sherman!
Old 10-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #89
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Jeff Fisher with teh balls up call of the day

Old 10-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #90
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Browns wtf. Who fields a punt on the 3.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #91
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Suck it Sherman!

He clearly committed defensive holding or PI on the third down play. That isn't me being all over the refs, just watch the play. He holds him coming out of his cut and goes through him before the ball gets there.

It was perfect karma for them to call that play. Only question now is how many fights Seattle tries to start and what idiotic thing will come out of Sherman's mouth after the loss.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #92
kingfc22
Head Coach

And nobody in the league gets away with that type of contact on pass plays outside of Sherman. Such a joke.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #93
TroyF
Coordinator

Good lord
Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #94
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
And nobody in the league gets away with that type of contact on pass plays outside of Sherman. Such a joke.

Beyond a joke at this point. It was a point of emphasis on the league for EXACTLY that reason. There is no way he should have got away with that play. Disgusting.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #95
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And the Cleveland Browns remember they're the Cleveland Browns.

Gotta win the easy ones if you hope to win the division.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #96
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Who dey, right guys?

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #97
Grover
Pro Starter

That Bengals/Colts game was difficult to watch.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #98
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

TD LIONS!!!

Old 10-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #99
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
And the Cleveland Browns remember they're the Cleveland Browns.

Gotta win the easy ones if you hope to win the division.

Yeah I think they got caught up in their own hype and media attention this week after they beat Pitt. Jax didn't get into the red zone till the 3rd quarter and Bortles threw a buncn of INT's and you still only score 6 points.

A bunch of crazy finishes today, hope that trend does not continue in Oakland today with my beloved Cards

At keast my Survival pick would have been wrong no matter which one I went with. Glad to see the Rams finally hold on and win a big game.

Last edited by Thomkal : 10-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #100
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
That Bengals/Colts game was difficult to watch.

No preparation from Bengals. Colts looked like they knew what was being run before it was run. They should all have to walk home.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote