Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #51
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I got zapped in the newspaper for releasing the flu virus in the Anaheim locker room.....

lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #52
AlexB
Pro Starter

Can someone help me out of my dumbness here: where can you see all of your roster on one screen - I can get an idea off the edit lines screen, but can't see the goalies at all.

Thanks

Last edited by AlexB : 10-14-2008 at 02:36 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #53
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm still holding out for Black Ice Hockey.

You and me both
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #54
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

It's different, but I wouldn't say it's different bad. If you are looking for a pure sports simulation it's not that.

At the very least the Waiver AI is good, every player I tried to claim on cutdown day was claimed by someone higher in the order then I was.

The one thing that I either can't figure out or is frustrating as hell is that other then the depth chart screen is there any way to see an individual players potential?

One huge gripe: scouting for the draft is an absolute miserable clickfest. They scout individual players and you have to pick each player they scout, there doesn't seem to be enough time to scout all so it seems you need to scout around the projected slots in the draft where you are going to select. Just horrid.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. the scouting is my biggiest gripe in a short list of gripes thus far.

Post your thoughts in their forum lynchjm24!

Still really like this game though... I'm weird, but I like the background music!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #56
Danny
Head Coach

I like the fact that you can only scout a limited number of players and have to pick and choose. This adds some strategy. The problem is having to do this one a time and keep choosing over and over. If everything worked the same, but we were able to queue a list of players for each scout that would be much better.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #57
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Yeah.. the scouting is my biggiest gripe in a short list of gripes thus far.

Post your thoughts in their forum lynchjm24!

Still really like this game though... I'm weird, but I like the background music!

I was putting off registering for the forum...

I also like the background music. Did not think I'd be saying that.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #58
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Dola.

Funny thing with the sound. When it's simulating the games, the crowd noise is from a basketball game. You can hear the PA say after the first quarter the Nets lead 25-21. Then he announces a fan shoot to win contest.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #59
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

That's great!
Old 10-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #60
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Dola.

Funny thing with the sound. When it's simulating the games, the crowd noise is from a basketball game. You can hear the PA say after the first quarter the Nets lead 25-21. Then he announces a fan shoot to win contest.

I would gues that canned sound file could be replaced very easily with a hockey game sound file.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #61
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Dola.

Hahaha.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #62
RendeR
Coordinator

Keep us informed guys, this does sound every interesting as a guy who has lots of free hours at work =) I could use a good Hockey Sim.

Some questions:

Can you create your own leagues with differing numbers of teams?

Multiplayer at all?

Can you edit the team and city names?

Can you add/edit player names/numbers?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 PM   #63
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Keep us informed guys, this does sound every interesting as a guy who has lots of free hours at work =) I could use a good Hockey Sim.

Some questions:

Can you create your own leagues with differing numbers of teams?

Multiplayer at all?

Can you edit the team and city names?

Can you add/edit player names/numbers?

No on the leagues.
Don't think so on multiplayer.
Not that I've found on team names
Yes you can add/edit players. Don't think they have numbers though.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #64
RendeR
Coordinator

Sounds like I'll be waiting then. I like to 'meddle' with the universe.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:21 PM   #65
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is an editor included, but I'm more of a real league/players type so I'm not sure what all you can do.

That being said, I'm really into this game so far... can't wait until Saturday when I'll have some good time to put the game through its paces!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #66
NickFury
H.S. Freshman Team

I have the full game now and actually made it three seasons into a franchise. The AI is great and the game is very challenging. I'm having a lot of fun. I'd recommend it to those who like hockey and want something refreshing.
NickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #67
Danny
Head Coach

That was me btw
Old 10-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

The game looks cheeey, but fun
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #69
NickFury
H.S. Freshman Team

While there are those extra things that make it fun, the core game is very good as well.
NickFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #70
duff88
College Prospect

How are future drafts? Care to do a little report on that, as this is one part that I consider very important in the game.
duff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #71
Danny
Head Coach

The draft is good. A very good mix of prospects. At the top you'll get some studs though they don't always develop as you would like them to. In the middle you'll get some potential, but most players taken out of the first round or two will not make it based on what I am seeing. Still, some develop better than you'd hope. For my team, I have drafted in the top 4 each season, including first twice (won the lottery one time to move up two spots and another time traded up. I've already had a high second rounder bust. Overall, the AI and players coming out seem realistic and some thing are adjustable about it as well such as how many great players and whether potential is based on current ratings (turn it off if you want more randomness, I have mine on).

You don't get attributes for the players when you scout them. You get their interview, written performance, talent level, performance (during the time you scouted them) feeling (scouts gut feeling about them) and other or two others. I like this, though one thing I would like to see added is simply a category for type of player they are.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #72
Danny
Head Coach

The free agent signing period is great. One of my favorite parts of the game. What I really like is you can only submit three offers per round, this really adds a ton of strategy. Also, once again, the AI has been good here. The fact that certain players are not willing to negotiate with you also adds a level of difficulty. And this isn't random, there is a reason players are unwilling to negotiate, like for example, you traded them away 3 seasons ago .
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #73
rowech
Pro Starter

How
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #74
rowech
Pro Starter

How much is the game?

Last edited by rowech : 10-20-2008 at 07:52 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #75
Danny
Head Coach

$30
Old 10-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #76
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah.. I spent a little more time with it this past weekend and I'm really liking it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #77
Galaril
Pro Starter

Can anyone answer whether this is only NHL or our their other leagues in the game like in EHM? Can you just coach international team s and take them to the Olympics or World Championships? Curious what countries leagues are in the game.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 AM   #78
Danny
Head Coach

there are World Championships and minors other than the NHL. Honestly, I've skipped running a team in the worlds thus far because I was only offered the job of a really poor team (my record with the Kings is really bad) and wanted to wait for a better opportunity before accepting.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #79
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
there are World Championships and minors other than the NHL. Honestly, I've skipped running a team in the worlds thus far because I was only offered the job of a really poor team (my record with the Kings is really bad) and wanted to wait for a better opportunity before accepting.

Cool. Last question are there international pro leagues like Sweden or Russia or just the NA minor leagues like AHL, EHL etc?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:55 AM   #80
Danny
Head Coach

Just the minor leagues. And it's one minor league and not all of the different leagues (AHL, EHL), etc... being separate
Old 10-26-2008, 01:50 PM   #81
Hurst2112
College Starter

I bought the game this weekend. played 1 full season yesterday. I was actually digging it. the guy put a lot of historical things in the database. There are some cheesy elements but I was totally digging the whole progression of my season.

one mistake that made me retire after the first year was that i renegotiated Zet's contract and thought if i offered 15 million for 4 years, it would be 5.3 a year. well, that's not the case, lol. i had him at 15 million a year and that screwed my budget royally.

I dont like how some menus don't let you see more than you do. um...moving players up and down is a pain because you have to keep clicking view card to see what their contract terms are (for keeping your team roster under budget). There were some other annoyances but overall, it's a fun game. i hope he continues to work on it. I would love to see an update soon. Maybe a retool of the translations? lol.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #82
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112 View Post
I bought the game this weekend. played 1 full season yesterday. I was actually digging it. the guy put a lot of historical things in the database. There are some cheesy elements but I was totally digging the whole progression of my season.

one mistake that made me retire after the first year was that i renegotiated Zet's contract and thought if i offered 15 million for 4 years, it would be 5.3 a year. well, that's not the case, lol. i had him at 15 million a year and that screwed my budget royally.

I dont like how some menus don't let you see more than you do. um...moving players up and down is a pain because you have to keep clicking view card to see what their contract terms are (for keeping your team roster under budget). There were some other annoyances but overall, it's a fun game. i hope he continues to work on it. I would love to see an update soon. Maybe a retool of the translations? lol.

Very interesting and thanks for posting - I've been on the fence about this game - after I finish with WarhammerOnline. I definitely would have thought 5.3M a season as well.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #83
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
Very interesting and thanks for posting - I've been on the fence about this game - after I finish with WarhammerOnline. I definitely would have thought 5.3M a season as well.

well, i wouldn't base your decision on my math. haha. 5.3 or 3.75. whatever. I can't really remember what the initial contract was for.

I do know that it does show something different in FA signing mode. menu that shows '9.0/3' or something like that.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #84
Capital
High School Varsity

Funny...I didn't actually do the math...maybe too much wine at the time.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM   #85
bbor
Pro Starter

I'm in my 6th season and am getting a runtime error that is a game stopper.Anyone else have problems?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #86
bbor
Pro Starter

Do they have an english forum...i can;t find one?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:50 AM   #87
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Logique Eclectic
Just scroll part way down the page and you'll see a set of english forums.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #88
Hurst2112
College Starter

Anybody have issues making money?

My stadium is 95% or better in terms of capacity. I'm getting a 7+ % in tv market share but I'm about 8 million under the cap.

The finance screen doesn't show any income for concessions. Zeros all the way down the list.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #89
Hurst2112
College Starter

never mind the zeros in the column. they were updated after the next match. Still, I'm around 8 million under.

is there a way to make more money or do i need to shave salaries by cut or trade?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #90
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

ok, I'm back into this game after installing the 2.03 patch.. anyone know if the soundtrack mod is worth installing?

Edit: installed it.. not bad.. some cool tunes for various tasks you click on..

Last edited by MizzouRah : 11-22-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Now that I have 2 weeks off, I'm going to play the heck out of this game.. played for about 4 hours straight this morning and I'm really impressed at the detail in the game.

If the developer implements some of the suggestions in the forum to make it a bit easier to navigate and simplier to find the data you are looking for, this could stay in my rotation for a long time.

The game as it is right now is quite engrossing!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #92
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

25% off until 1/22

Check out the promo video: Promoindex
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #93
Capital
High School Varsity

Thanks for posting the promo video and discount. I was thinking about looking at this game after I finish King's Bounty.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 AM   #94
Icy
Pro Starter

I like the game, lots of GM options, but found the games sim (jumbotron screen) a bit weird and hard to follow, i would prefer just a quick sim option (and couldn't find it). Also i would the current/potential bars in deep chart screen to be horizontal like in the 99% of text sims, instead of vertical.

Last edited by Icy : 01-13-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 PM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I don't really mind the jumbotron screen.. but I'm always wishing on something like EHM, ie a 2d display.

The game has been a lot of fun though.

Don't forget the photo pack and updated database.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-13-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #96
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I played it quite a while today. It has a lot of nice things going for it. I like the newspaper (even the classifieds that sometimes don't make sense in english) and the GM Pool fantasy game.

Sorting through players is a pain, you have to open each player card then close it and go to the next. Lots of clicking. So cut down day took a while, as well as searching for a free agent RW.

Like Icy, I wish it had a quick sim option. The Jumbotron is kinda neat the first time, but it doesn't give much play by play and ends up just taking a lot of time to get through the games. It would be nice to sim a week or so as well.

I still have 23 more launches on the demo. I don't know if I would buy it right now or not, but I need to make up my mind before the sale is over for sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #97
whomario
Pro Starter

Just downloaded the demo yesterday and will give it an extensive run on the weekend to make up my mind whether or not to buy it. Normally i know i shouldnīt with that terrible combination of lack of time, unfinished business in other sims (still playing DDSPB a lot, play FBCB again recently, FM 09 is waiting to get serious, heck i even fired up Bowl Bound recently again ...) in me in general not even being a hockey fan... Itīs not like i donīt like to watch it occasionally, but iīm not following it in any sort.

However i really enjoyed the original EHM back in the day and played one of SIs versions a lot too and have allways been compelled by the roster building and talent developing ways of hockey (drafting players and then seeing if they develop and then bring them over and then put them in minor leagues or play them immediately).

Plus this "nonchalant" but indepth way of the game is really appealing to me, thereīs nothing wrong with having a few gimmicks and a little fun in a sim as long as the sim is working.
In Germany there was a hugely succesfull soccer manager series about 10-15 years back named "Anstoss" that was a great sim that had a great lasting appeal (up until Anstoss 3 anyway) but also never shied away from some innocent fun and some hilarious events taking place occassionally like f.e. a really pissed of player burning a clubīs banner on the towns market place, or during a match you get a text message that some fans are showing a banner protesting against the quality of you stadium food.

And what iīve seen so far is similar here in a way, love it.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #98
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

They are working on cleaning up the english version and I believe if you buy 2009, version 2010 is free.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #99
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
They are working on cleaning up the english version and I believe if you buy 2009, version 2010 is free.

Yup, good call, in fact i see they are also looking for English translators to improve it, and getting next evrsion for free is a good selling point.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #100
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Agreed Icy!