Browns. Cavs. Tribe. Buckeyes. Period.

Mantle2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #52
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
Screw that then.

If you're on AT&T you might want to consider other phones in their lineup, like the LG Vu that sort of compete in the same niche as the iPhone.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #53
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
If you're on AT&T you might want to consider other phones in their lineup, like the LG Vu that sort of compete in the same niche as the iPhone.

You would still have to get a new contract. Whenever you reup with a upgrade you have to get a new contract.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #54
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
You would still have to get a new contract. Whenever you reup with a upgrade you have to get a new contract.

Hmm, if you can't stay with a grandfathered plan, then that does change the equation a bit...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 PM   #55
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I am convinced this thread cursed us...my Blackberry started acting up, wouldn't hold an internet connection, kept locking for no reason, etc...so I'm using a crappy T-Mobile Dash for now.

Today, my son was going to the pool with some friends, as always, he took his phone...as always I told him to set it on the table when he went in the water. About 20 minutes after he left he comes home with a look of total fear on his face and holds out the phone to me - it's dripping wet and there is a puddle of water in the screen. He forgot it was in his swim suit pocket when he jumped in the water, it was in there for "2 or 3 minutes" until he realized it. Took it apart and it's now sitting on the bathroom counter and he is kissing some serious ass to avoid being in a heap of trouble. This is why he gets a $20 Virgin Mobile phone and not a "real" (his word) phone.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:14 PM   #56
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

The screen on the iPhone is absolutely amazing, though I can't abide the little keyboard in portrait mode (fingers are too big). I'm mainly getting this for the exchange interoperability.

I was considering getting a new iPod anyway and they aren't cheap. I'm going on vacation next week and my phone isn't likely to come in until monday. Oh well.

Seeing the iPhone 3G in action is the only thing that pushed me over the edge. For all my dislike of Apple, they do a lot of things right and even though I'm discovering the limitations (vicariously at the moment), I think I'll be able to get over them.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #57
TredWel
High School Varsity

Finally let my iPhone sit in the charger long enough to upgrade to 2.0. I'm really enjoying sifting through the App Store at the moment. Just the fact that I can get Pandora on my iPhone is awesome enough.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #58
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I'm mainly getting this for the exchange interoperability.

I read online that the "exchange push" has about a 15 minute delay and is NOT instantaneous. Are you finding this to be the case?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #59
Raiders Army
Coordinator

So far I really like iPint (especially holding it up to my face and letting the beer drain out of the glass). Phonesaber is pretty cool and my kids really like it. I'm going to get the Texas Hold'em once my phone syncs again. I updated the software to 2.0 and it deleted everything on my phone.

Both my wife and I have iPhone 1.0s.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #60
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Texas Hold Em is a great game for the price as well ($4.99).
Old 07-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #61
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
I am convinced this thread cursed us...my Blackberry started acting up, wouldn't hold an internet connection, kept locking for no reason, etc...so I'm using a crappy T-Mobile Dash for now.

Today, my son was going to the pool with some friends, as always, he took his phone...as always I told him to set it on the table when he went in the water. About 20 minutes after he left he comes home with a look of total fear on his face and holds out the phone to me - it's dripping wet and there is a puddle of water in the screen. He forgot it was in his swim suit pocket when he jumped in the water, it was in there for "2 or 3 minutes" until he realized it. Took it apart and it's now sitting on the bathroom counter and he is kissing some serious ass to avoid being in a heap of trouble. This is why he gets a $20 Virgin Mobile phone and not a "real" (his word) phone.

wtf, T-Mobile Dash rules
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #62
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantle2600 View Post
Screw that then.

Don't take our word for it, call AT&T and confirm.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #63
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Don't take our word for it, call AT&T and confirm.

There are over 400,000 people that confirm it...
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #64
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
wtf, T-Mobile Dash rules

It's ok. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or not. I'm used to the Blackberry interface, so this is a big change. I miss my little scroll button thingy, and the email isn't as reliable/slick, but overall it's a decent phone.

I was in a foul mood yesterday, cranky customers had worn off on me and I was just not a happy person, it's not a crappy phone at all...

oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:44 AM   #65
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangarion View Post
There are over 400,000 people that confirm it...

I'm pretty certain I was able to keep my plan with my iphone 1.0, but that did not have a subsidized price. I'm just saying that, before you make a decision based on us being pretty darn sure, he should at least pick up the phone and ask the company to be 100% certain.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #66
DanGarion
Coordinator

I jailbroke my iPhone last night. Not much you can do with it yet, since everyone has to rewrite and edit existing apps for 2.0, but I've made some cosmetic changes so far with Cydia.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #67
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I jailbroke my iPhone last night. Not much you can do with it yet, since everyone has to rewrite and edit existing apps for 2.0, but I've made some cosmetic changes so far with Cydia.
How safe and easy was it? Also how did you do it and what advantages will it have?
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #68
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

dola
Posting from the iPhone!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #69
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post

Just thought I'd second INDalltheway's previous inquiry over your jailbreaking rocess.

I'm still with my 1st gen iPhone, jailbroken with Ziphone on v1.1.4 firmware... haven't really seen any 2.0 options out there that I've liked so far. What utility did you use?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #70
Bonegavel

My phone is sitting on our PAs desk @ work right now waiting for me to pick it up tomorrow! I'm mainly looking forward to being able to put every song I own on a single device - w00t!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #71
Bonegavel

posting from my iPhone. Not something I'll do if i'm within 20 miles of a pc. Other than posting the phone is awesome.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #72
Raiders Army
Coordinator

sent from my iPhone
Old 07-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #73
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I picked up an iPhone while I was in Seattle and I love it. It just can do an amazing amount of things. I havent ventured outside of the free apps yet, but so far I really like BoxOffice, SportsTap, Pandora, AOL Radio and midomi. Havent had a chance to try out a lot of the others. Id like to hear some other recommendations on apps. The only thing I can say Im not fond of so far is iTunes itself. It just seems a bit slow and annoying. That may change as I get used to it as I have never used iTunes before.

As far as hacking it goes, a friend has done it and says its pretty easy and harmless. It allows you to change a few cosmetic things and add a few other programs like nintendo roms. Its still new so not a ton of things available right now. I dont think it limits the iPhones functions in any way. The only thing I have heard is right now you need a mac to do it. If he brings his MacBook home from work today I will probably try it out on my phone.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #74
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I really like the Shazam program. It will tell you the artist and title of pretty much every song out there. All you do is turn the program on and put your phone up to the speaker. I use it to tag music to download when I get home.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #75
Bonegavel

I'm going to smash up if I don't stop fondling my iPhone while I drive.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #76
Bonegavel

Grrr. Seems that you can only use 1 PC with iTunes? I have my stuff synch'd with my work PC. My understanding is that if I want to add pics from home, if I hooked it up to iTunes there it will delete all my music and whatnot that i've added.

Is there a way to use multiple versions of iTunes?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #77
jonesz
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Texas Hold Em is a great game for the price as well ($4.99).

Agreed. When you look at this game and the rest of the games currently out there it's night and day. This one actually looks like a game you would play on today's computers. Most of the rest look like games that you'd play on your old Commodore 64 of Vic 20. I mean seriously, Pong!?

$4.99 is about right price wise as well. No way would I pay $9.99 or more for a game on my iPhone that some are asking.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:50 AM   #78
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Grrr. Seems that you can only use 1 PC with iTunes? I have my stuff synch'd with my work PC. My understanding is that if I want to add pics from home, if I hooked it up to iTunes there it will delete all my music and whatnot that i've added.

There are programs out there that will copy everything off you iPod and put it into iTunes. I can't remember the one I used a couple of years ago, but I think it cost around $15.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM   #79
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I read online that the "exchange push" has about a 15 minute delay and is NOT instantaneous. Are you finding this to be the case?
the push is not bad at all. When you have push off, it can take 15 mins.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #80
Bonegavel

I'm digging evernote right now. Great idea and good implementation. And I'm getting much better at the keyboard even with big meaty fingers.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 PM   #81
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I'm not sure if the push is email you're talkign about- but i notice sometimes that i get email on my phone quicker than i get it in my firefox browser.

edit- using gmail btw

Last edited by Doug5984 : 07-30-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #82
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can use as many PC's as you want. You just have to turn off auto-syncing (which is on by default) in Itunes.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 AM   #83
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you can use as many PC's as you want. You just have to turn off auto-syncing (which is on by default) in Itunes.

Yeah, turn off auto-syncing and also turn off syncing in everything that you dont want(everything but photos in that case).
Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #84
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
How safe and easy was it? Also how did you do it and what advantages will it have?

It was pretty easy for me to do on my PC. Only advantages I really see right now are being able to pretty up the Iphone to your liking. Not much in the software category at this time, but it's a cinch to install software after jailbreaking (with Cydia).
Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #85
Bonegavel

Quote:

Ah, yes that is what I just discovered. Thanks, I am a dumbass. I guess apple just makes it too easy and I'm looking for the hard way to things.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:20 PM   #86
Bonegavel

The greatest thing in the world right now is the Mocha VNC. I can VPN in and remote my desktop and it works so well I'm amazed. Best $5.99 I've spent in a long time.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 PM   #87
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This is a pretty cool app:

iPhone Apps We Like: Dynolicious Car Performance Meter
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #88
Bonegavel

Quote:

Well, I just installed iTunes at home and in order to add 1 song to my iPhone it wants to erase everything on the phone and replace it with the play lists on this PC. It makes no sense at all. I just want to add 1 song here at home.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #89
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, I just installed iTunes at home and in order to add 1 song to my iPhone it wants to erase everything on the phone and replace it with the play lists on this PC. It makes no sense at all. I just want to add 1 song here at home.

That's because Itunes is a big flaming pile of shit piece of software.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #90
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Looks like some people are having a hard time with the 3G connection. Anyone else having problems like this?

Apple, AT&T mum on iPhone 3G issues - Yahoo! News
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #91
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I have never had any problem with it switching away from 3G.. For me it seems to stay locked in to 3G in every area it should be working in.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #92
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nice - my dad was just crowing about that shazaam program the other day and how I didn't have anything like it - well now I found something like it for WM 6, so hah
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #93
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Well I actually like Midomi better, it does the same thing and a little more. However its not really something new, I know Verizon's VCAST can do the same thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #94
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Steve Jobs Confirms iPhone Has a Kill Switch - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Apple CEO Steve Jobs has confirmed that the iPhone 3G has a kill switch that can remotely remove software from the devices.
Jobs told The Wall Street Journal that Apple needs the capability in case it inadvertently allows a malicious program -- such as an application that steals user's personal data -- to be distributed to iPhones through its App Store.
"Hopefully we never have to pull that lever, but we would be irresponsible not to have a lever like that to pull," Jobs said.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #95
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1033 View Post
Well I actually like Midomi better, it does the same thing and a little more. However its not really something new, I know Verizon's VCAST can do the same thing.

can you PM me with confirmation / where i can find that. my mom has verizon and would love to be able to use somthing like midomi.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #96
DanGarion
Coordinator

Qik is pretty sweet...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #97
KWhit
Coordinator

That was riveting video.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #98
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
That was riveting video.

That was just a proof of concept video. I wanted to see how it works and it was late.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #99
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
Looks like some people are having a hard time with the 3G connection. Anyone else having problems like this?

Apple, AT&T mum on iPhone 3G issues - Yahoo! News

I'm starting to wonder about mine...

I noticed a call yesterday that went straight to voicemail instead of ringing.

It took about ten minutes for a text message to get to me last night.

There have been several times when I can't get any data at all. I was in a book store last night and the phone kept switching from 3G to Edge, and I couldn't get anything. Other times I can't get any data connection at all.

But call quality has been good, and I have yet to drop a conversation.

I'm happy with it so far on the whole, as it's definitely a neat device, but these little things are starting to get a bit annoying. I've dropped my land line for the iPhone, so I need reliability.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

I just bought an iPhone yesterday. This is one of the colest devices I've ever seen. Really enjoying it and going crazy looking for apps.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote