Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Leonard Little killed someone driving drunk, and got, what, a 2 game suspension?

Intoxication can negate the specific intent necessary to demonstrate criminal intent (mens rea). Intentionally/willfully shooting someone is the more serious offense in most jurisdictions, assuming intoxication can be used as a defense to specific intent.

Or something like that. I don't do criminal law.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-02-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Shooting at someone is 100,000X more dangerous than driving drunk.

Seems like that depends upon who's shooting & who's driving.

There's a live guy with a hand wound vs dead victims (of the aforementioned Little and Danny Heatley to name a couple) that illustrate my point.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #53
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Or some version of reckless conduct, or improper discharge of a firearm, or reckless endangerment. I imagine it depends on what the prosecutors think they have some change of proving/winning.

I would imagine shooting someone ALWAYS meets a probable cause standard for attempted murder, so they'd always charge with that, with the goal to get a plea of one of the charges you mentioned.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #54
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seems like that depends upon who's shooting & who's driving.

There's a live guy with a hand wound vs dead victims (of the aforementioned Little and Danny Heatley to name a couple) that illustrate my point.

A drunk driver has a minuscule chance of getting caught. I'm guessing that Little drove drunk 100+ times before he killed someone.

Not saying that driving drunk isn't reckless, but it's silly to compare it to intentionally shooting someone.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #55
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would imagine shooting someone ALWAYS meets a probable cause standard for attempted murder

I believe it varies by jurisdiction, but I would think there probably has to be some element of intent in at least some instances. For example, a scenario such as "I had the gun out because I felt my life was in danger, I stumbled & the gun went off as I fell." etc. etc etc.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #56
Radii
Head Coach

I would assume that Harrison's good reputation in the NFL will count for something(as far as guessing what may happen here compared to Pacman Jones or Vick) and Goddell would take more of a wait and see approach w/ Harrison than he did with others. I could easily see him missing 4-8 games next year if he's just charged w/ any sort of crime here. If it ends up being attempted murder in a scenario KSyrup puts forth, surely he's gone for a year and we'll see after that.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #57
Ksyrup

Not saying he'll end up convicted of that, but absent some set of circumstances the authorities are willing to believe that would suggest something less than attempted murder, I gotta think they're going to go for the most serious charge and be willing to plead him out to something lesser.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #58
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Marvin wanted to do hoodrat stuff with his friends.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #59
SFL Cat
College Starter

Maybe he's auditioning for the Raiders.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #60
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
This is kind of like if Jerry Rice ran afoul of the law.

I'm stunned and agree with these assessment. I'd put money on neither of these guys being involved in this sort of situation. Stunning to me that Marvin is even being accused of this.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #61
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Leonard Little killed someone driving drunk, and got, what, a 2 game suspension?

Of course, that was pre-Goodell and Goodell can't retroactively punish him for that, unless he does something else. I imagine that if Little had done that now, he would have gotten a much harsher penalty.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 05-03-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #62
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
and even better, don't OWN one! What the hell is Marvin thinking?
Not only does he own one, he owns one in North Philadelphia. Philly isn't exactly the most easy-going city, and everyone I know from the other parts stays far, far, away from hanging out in North Philly.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:28 AM   #63
cougarfreak
College Starter

Per profootballtalk.com, this doesn't look too promising for Harrison:

The bullets reportedly came from a Belgian-made gun. Harrison told police he owns such a gun, but claimed that the gun never left his house. The gun was later found in a bucket at a car wash Harrison owns.

The gun was determined to be the same gun that fired the shots.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #64
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
Per profootballtalk.com, this doesn't look too promising for Harrison:

The bullets reportedly came from a Belgian-made gun. Harrison told police he owns such a gun, but claimed that the gun never left his house. The gun was later found in a bucket at a car wash Harrison owns.

The gun was determined to be the same gun that fired the shots.

FYI, that was also in the article posted here.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 AM   #65
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I know its fun making jokes about teams or players that have "problems" but I think this goes to show that anytime, anywhere, anyone can become a criminal. Its just a matter of snap judgements and specific situations. Who knows what led up to it all, but it appears Harrison lost his cool and now seems to be lying about things to protect himself, which is what really stands out to me. I would expect, if Marvin really is this humble dude with a squeaky clean image, that he would have explained things more honestly to cops.. Now that he seemingly has lied about details, I would be willing to bet he has a reason to try and hide what actually happened. He is probably a lot more at fault than anyone knows yet if that is the case.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #66
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I know its fun making jokes about teams or players that have "problems" but I think this goes to show that anytime, anywhere, anyone can become a criminal.

I couldn't disagree more.

Call the police, thats what they are there for.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #67
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think you misunderstood.. I meant to say that even good people in bad situations can make bad decisions. He could have called police, but made a bad decision and now looks like he's on the hook for it.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 05-03-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:39 AM   #68
Ksyrup

I've never been in the situation (even remotely), but I have to imagine that once you've shot someone - even in a fit of rage that you instantly regret - protecting yourself by lying comes quite naturally, given the alternative. It's not like if he came clean (assuming this is what happened) - "I'm sick of this guy hanging around my bar, and I lost my cool and fired 7 shots at him" - the cops would thank him for his honesty and that would be the end of it.

Lesson learned: If you're going to own a gun, make sure it's not custom-made.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #69
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Shocking. Just goes as a reminder, you never know a person by what you see on television. Would have never guessed this, but I always like OJ Simpson until we got to see behind the curtain. *shrug*
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #70
spleen1015
Coordinator

From the local media here in Indy, Marvin and his lawyer are saying that published media reports are inaccurate. They asked for the public's patience.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #71
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
From the local media here in Indy, Marvin and his lawyer are saying that published media reports are inaccurate. They asked for the public's patience.

I started following the Colts because of Peyton (UT fan). I grew to love the Colts largely because of Marvin.

I hope upon hope that they're right, but if it turns out he's a douche in disguise i'll be just as harsh on him as I have been on Vick, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #72
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Isn't that kind of standard lawyer-ese, though?

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #73
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, even if it's standard, it's what they'd say if he was guilty, as well as what they'd say if he was innocent.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #74
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Isn't that kind of standard lawyer-ese, though?

It's also true more times than not. Until the cops and prosecutors say the things I've read in the articles, I'd be skeptical of the accuracy of the reporting as well.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #75
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Well, even if it's standard, it's what they'd say if he was guilty, as well as what they'd say if he was innocent.

This is my point. It's a statement by the suspect and his lawyer which means absolutely nothing, because he'd say exactly the same thing whether he's guilty or not.

sab's point is well taken, as I'm sure there is plenty of info the authorities have not disseminated, of course.

RIP
Old 05-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #76
Crim
College Benchwarmer

I'm thinkin, though, re: Jerry Rice, didn't he have some trouble a while back, when he was with the 49ers? Jack-shack bust, maybe?

RIP
Old 05-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #77
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

The Colts are my favorite team and I really hope he's innocent, but if not its just another reason why I have a hard time rooting for sport teams.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #78
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Found it:

hxxp://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/1998/02/27/MN95442.DTL&type=printable

RIP
Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #79
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Found it:

hxxp://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/1998/02/27/MN95442.DTL&type=printable

"Investigators noted that the hot tub was actually a bathtub."

Classy!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #80
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Are there any active major pro athletes who have shot another person (that we know about?)

Rae Carruth, not active now (the whole incarceration deal) but wa active at time of act.

Quote:
Shooting at someone is 100,000X more dangerous than driving drunk.

Depends on the quality of the shot I suppose, but Id wager the destructive possibilities of 1 drunk driver are MUCH greater than 1 individual with 1 hand gun. Gunmen rarely take out bus loads at a time...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #81
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Gunmen rarely take out bus loads at a time...

It's rare for drunk drivers - I think you'd be shocked how many people are driving drunk on a given night in a major American City v. people getting shot there.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #82
watravaler
High School JV

He's looking for a fall-guy as I type this...
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #83
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Colts should definitely lose a first round draft pick next year.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:06 AM   #84
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Colts should definitely lose a first round draft pick next year.

No chance of that happening since this isn't a coach cheating like the Patriots did. This is an off the field issue, and that has never resulted in the team being penalized in the past with the exception of having the player suspended.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

If this all turns out to be true, I hope he gets a lifetime ban from the NFL and the Hall of Fame, and spends some serious time in jail.

That said, I hope it all turns out to be untrue somehow. I've always liked Marvin.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #86
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
If this all turns out to be true, I hope he gets a lifetime ban from the NFL and the Hall of Fame, and spends some serious time in jail.

That said, I hope it all turns out to be untrue somehow. I've always liked Marvin.
The Hall of Fame ban is a bit of a stretch IMO, but if this all turns out to be true, and as bad it sounds, I hope he never plays for the Colts again.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #87
Ksyrup

Good thing for the Colts that it appears he's starting to fall on the downside of his career.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #88
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Good thing for the Colts that it appears he's starting to fall on the downside of his career.

I was just thinking that. This is the first year where I'm thinking he's not a top top WR to draft in fantasy... and then this happens.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #89
Daimyo
College Starter

On the pure football side, this will very likely be the second year in a row the Colts lose a key offensive player unexpectedly right after the draft... last year it was LT Tarik Glenn and now this year Harrison. Luckily they preemptively addressed both positions in last year's draft with Ugoh and Gonzalez.

With the newly drafted receiving TEs from this year's draft I guess Indy will go back more to the two TE set this year. Marvin was really a big question mark for this season even before this so hopefully they're ready for to go ahead without him.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #90
Ksyrup

Didn't the Colts get Tamme from UK? His progress will be interesting to watch.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #91
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Didn't the Colts get Tamme from UK? His progress will be interesting to watch.

Yeah, Tamme looks like he'll be a step up from Utecht. And the LB from Georgia, Marcus Howard, looks to be the 3rd edge rusher they've been needing. I'm excited about this team, looks to be the most talented since the 05 squad, which was much better than the Super Bowl team. I'd love Harrison to be a part of it, but it's Wayne's show now anyway. I'd just like Harrison's career to end on a positive note...assuming he didn't go gangster on us.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM   #92
sabotai
General Manager

Update: Looks like the investigation is at a standstill.

MyFox Philadelphia | No Charges For Marvin Harrison In Gun Case

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham says Colts receiver Marvin Harrison will not face any charges related to a gun incident earlier this year.

Abraham announced that decision at a press conference in Philadelphia on Tuesday morning.

Sources told Fox 29 News in late April that the shooting stemmed from a fight that took place in Harrison's bar, Playmakers, weeks before.

Sources said Harrison, who is from Philadelphia, and others tried to throw out a bar patron. That same patron came to a car wash, which Harrison also owns, and another fight started.

At some point, someone fired shots, and they came from Harrison's gun.

Police said the gun used in the shooting near Harrison's car wash in the Brewerytown section of the city belonged to Harrison.

The DA also said that the stories of all of the witnesses conflict. I think I heard on the news that they said they have 9 witness and 9 different stories. So unless something comes out during the civil trial, doesn't look like Harrison is going to get into any legal trouble.

I wonder if the NFL does anything, though, since they can prove his gun was used.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #93
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

What's up with pro athletes that own car washes getting in trouble (remember Charles Oakley)?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #94
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Hey those quarters add up.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #95
RainMaker
General Manager

Well GQ put together an amazing investigative look into the Marvin Harrison case. The police and FBI are now taking another look into the case now because of it.

The Dirtiest Player: Profiles: GQ

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-15-2010 at 01:44 AM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #96
NewIdentity
High School JV

I am a little late to the party here, but what did the gunshot residue test show?
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan
NewIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote