Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #51
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I've got a buddy who is 300th in line to the british throne. He hit the genealogy jack-pot: a mention in a crappy UK tabloid article, wherein they photoshopped a crooked crown on top of his picture.

http://tinyurl.com/5ccaz9

He is still reaping the benefits (ridicule), to this day.

That'd be a lot of prestige and piety hits, not to mention a ton of BB.

But hey, it's worth it to be King of England! You can eat Wales and Scotland if they haven't been already.

...Unless the Muslims have taken over. But even then it's all good, because yay piety for warring on them and turning the recovered counties into bisophorics.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #52
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I've got a buddy who is 300th in line to the british throne. He hit the genealogy jack-pot: a mention in a crappy UK tabloid article, wherein they photoshopped a crooked crown on top of his picture.

http://tinyurl.com/5ccaz9

He is still reaping the benefits (ridicule), to this day.

Heh...

Berger King
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #53
sabotai
General Manager

Interesting that this thread got bumped today since I was thinking of bumping it last night when I (finally, I guess, considering the location) found evidence that some of my Maryland ancestors were slave owners. They owned slaves all the way up to the Civil War. And, on the Slave Schedules (and the Census before them), most/all of the slaves were young (most of them children). Makes me wonder what the hell was going on....

EDIT: But in other, this time good, news, I did find some of my ancestors were some of the original Swedish settlers in New Sweden (Philadelphia). And that one of the letters that one of my ancestors sent to his sister back to Sweden is in one of their archives buildings (can't think of the name right now). This is him: Peter Gunnarsson Rambo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by sabotai : 02-20-2009 at 02:20 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

interesting sabotai. very very interesting.

i had ancestors in the south in the 1800's as well, but it seems they were barely ekeing out livings, certainly not in the market to own slaves
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My aunt had actually been very recently researching the Nielsen side of the family.

The Danish consulate responded with some amazing stuff, providing us with my Great-Grandfather's WW1 draft card, the passenger manifest for the ship that took him to the US, along with marriage certificates and baptismal records for my family dating back to the mid 1800's. Any further back and it gets dicey, due to the old surname "son of" conventions there (we go from Nielsen to Christiansen, etc etc etc).
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #56
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that's pretty cool CW!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #57
Silver Owl
High School JV

I tried this about four years ago but gave up after a year of trying to find info about my Granddpa. He died before I was born and my Grandma remarried. No one seems to know anything about him.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #58
sabotai
General Manager

Finally....

One of the first things I discovered about my ancestors, because over the years this side of the family kept such great records going back to the 1700s, was that I have a Jacobite Rebel (of the 1715 variety) that was captured at Preston, imprisoned and eventually shipped over to Maryland and sold into indentured servitude for a period of 7 years in my family tree.

After all this time, I finally found some more info on him. Not too long ago, someone else who is a descendant of a Jacobite Rebel (of the 1715 variety) took pictures of the records of the prisons that the rebels were sent to. He was kind enough to post these pictures online. Not only did he record the records for just his ancestor, but he did this for all of the Jacobite Rebels (of the 1715 variety).

Sometimes I shake my head at the secretiveness and info-hoarding mentality of fellow amateur genealogists, and sometimes I'm amazed and grateful at how far beyond the call of duty they go and their willingness to freely share info. Thankfully, this fellow was one of the latter.

Anyway, I found him. Not only does the prison record show his name, but it has his Parish and County name. However, the handwriting and abbreviation made it difficult to read. After spending some time looking through England and Scotland county and town lists, and using a tad bit of deductive reasoning, it seems as though the Jacobite originally came from Abercorn, Linlithgowshire (now called West Lothian) in Scotland. What made this really difficult was that it looks like the person writing down the county name wrote down Linl shire (actually, since it was the early 1700s, it looked like Linlfhire - but I knew the f was an s). Fortunately, the Parish name was pretty clear, as was the Parish name a another prisoner from the same county, so I eventually found the County.

whew.....finally, the first solid lead I've had about where this guy (who would have been a teenager at the time) lived prior to joining the rebellion.

Time to see if I can find this guy's parents. The game is afoot.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-07-2009 at 02:02 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #59
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl View Post
I tried this about four years ago but gave up after a year of trying to find info about my Granddpa. He died before I was born and my Grandma remarried. No one seems to know anything about him.

his name? where he was born? that kind of thing?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

very cool sab!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #61
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
whew.....finally, the first solid lead I've had about where this guy (who would have been a teenager at the time) lived prior to joining the rebellion.

Did he live with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #62
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I just hit a goldmine of family info. I signed up for the 14-day trial at Ancestry.com, and a relative of mine that I've never met has traced my ENTIRE family all the way back to 1725.

I drew this up based on the info I found in the tree, partly because I HATE the way Ancestry has their tree's set up.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #63
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

We love the name Carl, apparently

Notice the one generation who had FOUR brothers named Carl. One of them was my great-grandfather. By the way, I'm at the top-right (Ryan).
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #64
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

Also, Ancestry doesn't use full names for people who are alive, so I left those out. They should be much easier to find out from my parents and relatives, though.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #65
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I keep finding the most ridiculous shit ever.

Apparently, my great-grand father married a pretty famous actress. I'm looking at a 1907 article titled "CUPID TRIUMPS OVER HIS RIVAL, THESPIS - Miss Hansen at Last Agrees to Abandon Stage to Wed Omark"

December 17, 1907 The World Telegram (?) New York City Headline:
CUPID TRIUMPHS OVER HIS RIVAL, THESPIS
Sub-head: Miss Hansen at Last Agrees to Abandon Stage to Wed Omark
Body Copy:
A romance extending over a period of five years was revealed in the announcement of the engagement of Miss Iuga Emille Hansen, daughter of Mrs. Emille Hansen, No. 3 First Place, Brooklyn, to Gustaf Omark, of No. 406 East One Hundred and Fifty Third Street, The Bronx. Several years ago announcement of the betrothal was awaited by friends, and cupid, thinking his task complete, was congratulating himself when a lover’s quarrel resulted in a breach. It was caused by the girl’s desire to appear before the footlights. This was distinctly against the wishes of her admirer. The two drifted apart. Miss Hansen joined the “Blue Moon” Musical Comedy Company and traveled with the troupe through the States. Disappointed in love, Mr. Omark sailed for Norway to visit his folk. Coincidental with her return, after the disbanding of the theatrical company, was his arrival from Europe on the same day. They met ______to forgive and forget. The wedding date has been set for April __ and a honeymoon trip through Great Britain, Norway and Sweden planned. A few days ago Miss Hansen received a tempting offer from Henry W. Savage, but she declined the offer of a good role.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 09-28-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #66
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We apparently have a lot of scandanavian folks on the boards.

Fear the Northmen!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Scandanavian here.

You'll also see a lot of that as you go back through Western European due to Vikings and such.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #68
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Does something cool happen once you've researched it 3 or more times?

Do you ever see an old thread bumped and notice the little icon that says you've posted in that thread, wonder what it was you posted, then have no idea what you were talking about? Hopefully it's not just me.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #69
Coder
College Prospect

Old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it.

This past weekend, we had "Open Archives" day here in Sweden. This meant that all our Archives-institutes had Open House with lectures etc about researching your family tree. The Archives are generally open to the public anyway, but this day, held once a year, is meant to raise awareness and knowledge about it.

Any way, as part of this weekend, the Swedish site Arkiv Digital (Digital Archives) gave free access to all scanned copies kept in the national archives.

For example, I could access the "birth books", the civil registries, the "death books" etc for my relatives. I only managed to trace my maternal grandfather's line down to his own grandfather, but found some funny details.

For example, his uncle was listed in the civil registry as "Idiot". No political correctness back in the 1880s .

Anyway, I intend to pay for this to get access to the records until the end of the year (it's only $20), so if someone has interest in their Swedish relatives, let me know and I'll dig up what I can.

The digital records aren't 100% complete, since the photographing of the old books is a work in progress. So I might not find all the info. The handwriting is also a bit hard to read sometimes.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #70
Galaril
Pro Starter

My father's side of the family was keeping Family trees docs over 100 years back and apparently we descend from a Doctor Samuel Fuller who came over on the Mayflower and was the colony Doctor.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote