Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #51
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
Thanksgiving day football games are a pretty big tradition in New Jersey and I miss it.

Yeah, the last game of the season for non-playoff teams. Definitely got by far the biggest crowds of the season.

Otherwise, in this area you only go to the game if:

1. You are currently attending one of the high schools playing in the game.
2. Your son or daughter is playing or cheering in the game.

cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 12:41 AM   #52
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
Without a doubt Texas in my book. Multi-level press boxes, artificial grass fields, Staduims that hold 12,000 - 15,000 that are always packed. It is a religion in most parts and the community support is unbelievable.

One good measuring stick is Coaches salaries. Here in AZ most Schools give Head Coaches an $8,000 - $12,000 stipend. As Assistants we get $2,000 - $3,000 stipends for the most part. In Texas a Head Coach at a top program can command $60,000 plus and not have to teach.

Granted none of us at the High School level really do it for the Money, but it would sure be nice to "not do it for the Money" with a Salary like some of the Texas Coaches pull down.

amazing.

The school I coach at (Pittsburg) is one of the top 5 teams in Northern California for the last 5 years. We have a total of 22 coaches at all 3 levels, and the TOTAL stipend is 6 - 2,000 stipends that the head coach splits roughly evenly - or in other words less then 600 bucks a guy. I actually don't take a cut because I do well in my business and some of the coaches are younger and really broke so I would rather there be more for them. This is for a job that in the off-season is 20 hours a week and in-season is 30-40 hours a week.

Last edited by AgustusM : 08-04-2006 at 12:41 AM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #53
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's not a bad measure. How does that compare to GA, FL or LA?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #54
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Yeah, the last game of the season for non-playoff teams. Definitely got by far the biggest crowds of the season.

Otherwise, in this area you only go to the game if:

1. You are currently attending one of the high schools playing in the game.
2. Your son or daughter is playing or cheering in the game.

My mom's husband went to CB West (the one with the insane winning streaks), and still goes to every game, with no other rooting interest besides having gone there (almost 40 years ago).
Old 08-04-2006, 09:08 AM   #55
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That's not a bad measure. How does that compare to GA, FL or LA?
I know of at least one job in Georgia offering $85K with no teaching, and I am under the impression that Cecil Flowe makes 6 figures at Parkview. I'm guessing that either Parkview, Brookwood, Camden County, or Valdosta would have the highest paid coaches in the state.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

Bump

ESPN is running one of their brackt contest on this topic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool...t&lid=tab8pos1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:05 PM   #57
Comey
College Starter

I have to stick up for PA as well. My alma mater is in what may be the best small-school division in the state, for football and basketball. Always amazing crowds, always amazing teams.

The same could be said all over the state. What it's produced is well-documented. A lot of the greatest QBs in history came from western PA. Berwick won a couple "national titles". With the addition of the Philly Catholic League to the PIAA, and teams like Gateway, McKeesport, Parkland, etc getting some national competition...high school football is more than alive and well in the nation.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 PM   #58
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My thoughts are as anecdotal and valid as anyone else here.

So Here I go.

1)Texas
2)Ohio
The rest GA, PA, FL...How about Illinois? I hear about a rich tradition in there as well. Yet, no love in this thread.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #59
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I'd go for:

1)Texas
2)Florida
3)California
4)Ohio

5-50)The Rest
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #60
SFL Cat
College Starter

Florida has some unbelievable players, but I'd probably have to give the edge to Texas.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #61
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
The same could be said all over the state. What it's produced is well-documented. A lot of the greatest QBs in history came from western PA. Berwick won a couple "national titles". With the addition of the Philly Catholic League to the PIAA, and teams like Gateway, McKeesport, Parkland, etc getting some national competition...high school football is more than alive and well in the nation.

We scrimmaged Berwick the year after we went to the state playoffs, drove to their place at the tail end of our camp (soph/jr years we went up to the Poconos to train). That was an experience. Seemed like nothing was up there but hills and coal plants. That, and a big old stadium. They pretty much kicked our tails.

Oh yeah - their QB at the time? Ron Powlus. Yeah, he eventually washed out, but he was a pretty big deal at the time apparently.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:10 PM   #62
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I think Texas is the top, but you won't see me feeling cheated if I have to watch a game in Georgia, Alabama, or Louisiana.

When we get 1000 people to our local 9-10 year old city Super Bowl, I know we are a bunch of crazies.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #63
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
My thoughts are as anecdotal and valid as anyone else here.

So Here I go.

1)Texas
2)Ohio
The rest GA, PA, FL...How about Illinois? I hear about a rich tradition in there as well. Yet, no love in this thread.

Illinois produces decent talent but fan passion for high school football in Illinois is almost nonexistent.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #64
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I'd nominate Panola County MS for the discussion, the amount of college talent that comes out of that school is sick.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #65
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Living in Ohio...it's up there with whatever state you want to put up. Friday night's around here are shut down the state. As Cronin said, the FM/AM radio dial just becomes football central. Every newscast is about 10 minutes long and then 20 minutes of highlights from everywhere. The papers will put pro sports to the back pages during football season. I grew up in a small town of about 20,000 people and the movie Friday Night Lights describes much of Ohio football.

Was going to compare Friday Night Lights as well... those scenes driving through town just gives me goosebumps. Crazy awesome goosebumps.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #66
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. Ohio
4. South Carolina
5. Florida

Ok, the Longhorns, Bulldogs, Buckeyes, and Gators are all extremely prestigious college football programs. The Gamecocks are on this list and have The Old Ball Coach. Why are they not greater?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Ok, the Longhorns, Bulldogs, Buckeyes, and Gators are all extremely prestigious college football programs. The Gamecocks are on this list and have The Old Ball Coach. Why are they not greater?

Traditionally, Clemson has been the much stronger program from S. Carolina.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #68
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Definitely ain't California...we don't give a shit about high school football...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:59 PM   #69
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

... but Cali does produce the most studs. i would like to see the D1 player production stats
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #70
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

As for HS football. I'm not sure many peeople who are not FROM SC get what it is here.

I've lived in Texas and Florida and Texas is as big, Florida doesnt compare.

Sure small towns close up, but how many Super Wal Marts close down Friday at 5pm and re open at 1 AM (depending on location of high school game)

How many have stadiums off campus that seat 15,000 and sell out months in advance?

How many places sell season tickets by the thousands?

And where else have you ever seen HS tickets on Stub Hub? (Byrnes v Gaffney last year)
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #71
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I have to stick up for PA as well. My alma mater is in what may be the best small-school division in the state, for football and basketball. Always amazing crowds, always amazing teams.

Where did you go to High School?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #72
Comey
College Starter

Trinity HS. D3 AA. Same division as Camp Hill, Steel-High, Milton Hershey, and Scotland. Easily in the best division in the state for mid-small basketball (AAA/AA). Football may be debatable, but I doubt it...Steel-High got pounded by Trinity (12-1) last year, lost three games within the division, and won the state championship easily behind Jeremiah Young, who will, barring injury, crush the state rushing record (he put up 3400 yards and 41 TD last year, if I recall correctly).

I did go to Cumberland Valley until my sophomore year, when I transferred because CV was too damn big.

Last edited by Comey : 09-02-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #73
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh...I just pieced together that the offensive coordinator for Maryland was the QB for my high school, graduated the year before I did.

Football - The University of Maryland Terrapins - Official Athletic Site
Old 09-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #74
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I'd nominate Panola County MS for the discussion, the amount of college talent that comes out of that school is sick.

Minor correction. It is South Panola High School. I played against them the one year I played high school football.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #75
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Not sure who said it earlier- but I agree with them that Louisiana has great talent (especially when you look at per capita), but the passion is definitely not the same as it is over in Texas, don't get me wrong- we love high school football, but it's not like it is in some spots in Texas.

We do hate seeing great talent like Joe McKnight leave the area though- I would've loved to have seen him a tiger uniform.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #76
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk View Post
... but Cali does produce the most studs. i would like to see the D1 player production stats

Check per capita.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote