Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Select your current situation in regards to cigarettes.
I currently smoke every day. 21 11.80%
I smoke on occasion. 3 1.69%
I smoke when I have been drinking alcohol. 9 5.06%
I have smoked in the past, but have quit. 25 14.04%
I have only tried a (few) cigarette(s). 44 24.72%
I have never smoked before. 76 42.70%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2005, 06:54 PM   #51
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I've never tried cigarettes or cigars, but I don't know if blunts and j's count?? In that case, my whole sophomore year of high school....

Sharpieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #52
st.cronin
General Manager

I actually started out dipping, switched to cigarettes at 16 or so, then quit at 19.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #53
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I posted never, beacuse I have never smoked cigarettes. I have smoked a few cigars before, mainly after quitting smoking the other plant!

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #54
KWhit
Coordinator

Cigars. Maybe a couple a week. And I don't inhale them.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:55 AM   #55
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I used to smoke a pack a day, now only when the wife isnt looking Probably once a week id guess.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM   #56
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I think Smoking is stupid and definitely harmful and I hope my kids don't do it - that being said I'm currently smoking again and get through around 10-15 a day on average.

I gave up for around 4 years before starting again last year, will probably have to kick it again shortly as my daughter is 11 now and I reckon will be considering smoking by the age of 13 ....

Hence if I give up before then I can do my utmost to ensure that she doesn't start (and not feel too hypocritical about it) .... that being said because of me smoking she's currently vehemently anit-smoking, maybe I should continue and that dissuade her?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:00 AM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
... maybe I should continue and that dissuade her?

That's my plan
Old 05-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #58
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I think Smoking is stupid and definitely harmful and I hope my kids don't do it - that being said I'm currently smoking again and get through around 10-15 a day on average.

I gave up for around 4 years before starting again last year, will probably have to kick it again shortly as my daughter is 11 now and I reckon will be considering smoking by the age of 13 ....

Hence if I give up before then I can do my utmost to ensure that she doesn't start (and not feel too hypocritical about it) .... that being said because of me smoking she's currently vehemently anit-smoking, maybe I should continue and that dissuade her?

(Edited because I didn't finish your post.)

I used the anti-smoking behavior of my youngest to quit smoking (along with other reasons such as financial and health) and it was a great motivator. And now I can use it against him if he ever lights up.

Last edited by Dutch : 05-01-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #59
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Yeah strangely enough I can give up fairly easily if motivated externally - for instance when I gave up for 4 years I started when my wife got pregnant with Jake (my eldest son) ... strange thing is I can't motivate myself that well simply because it'd be better for me.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #60
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My parents did, and I became neurotic about it at an early age. Like someone else in this thread, I vowed to stay away from it and I have. If I was with a girl and she lit up, that would be the last date we went on. It is just a neurotic pet peeve of mine. It comes from being trapped in a car on long trips to grandma's and struggling to breathe in the back seat.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:26 PM   #61
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

My mom has smoked 3-4 packs a day all my life. Her teeth are gross and the whole house smells like nasty. I had to wash all my clothes at friends houses because if I did it at home they would still smell like smoke, no matter what I did. I tried cigarrettes once when she left them in the bathroom but it nauseated me.

When my mom and dad moved out of the house they had lived in and smoked in for 10 years, each wall and ceiling literally had inches of smoke and haze attached to it. They had to scrub the walls for weeks to get the grey stuff off of it and should have bought stock in air freshner from all the dozens of bottles they had to use to get the smell out.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #62
hukarez
College Starter

I've resorted to buying multiple cartons at a time now. Of course, California tax and all...eh.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:54 PM   #63
lungs
Pro Rookie

I started smoking when I was 7 years old. It started by stealing cigarettes from my parents. By the time I was 9 they didn't care anymore and started buying me cigarettes.

Now I smoke as much as I possibly can. Sometimes it's hard to find somebody willing to bum smokes from. If I have money I'll buy them. But like I said in another thread, I love cigarettes more than sunshine.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #64
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs
I started smoking when I was 7 years old. It started by stealing cigarettes from my parents. By the time I was 9 they didn't care anymore and started buying me cigarettes.

Now I smoke as much as I possibly can. Sometimes it's hard to find somebody willing to bum smokes from. If I have money I'll buy them. But like I said in another thread, I love cigarettes more than sunshine.

That is a pretty ironic name you have, considering your statement.

I have smoked less than a pack in my life. Tried a few in college while out drinking with friends. I honestly think I never inhaled them correctly, as I never felt anything except for the coughing. Stupid habit. Like others, I refused to date girls who smoked. Figured there could never be a future with them, as I didn't want my wife to teach my kids to smoke. Plus smokers smell like shit.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 AM   #65
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I smoked about a pack a day for 8-9 years but quit about a year ago. I still think about them all the time, but havent smoked one since. I feel a lot better now(i.e. better abilty to smell, and no shortness of breath). Plus it is a ton cheaper now that i dont smoke.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #66
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
That is a pretty ironic name you have, considering your statement.

I have smoked less than a pack in my life. Tried a few in college while out drinking with friends. I honestly think I never inhaled them correctly, as I never felt anything except for the coughing. Stupid habit. Like others, I refused to date girls who smoked. Figured there could never be a future with them, as I didn't want my wife to teach my kids to smoke. Plus smokers smell like shit.

oh oh oh RIGHT like aliens don't!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 09:14 AM   #67
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
2.5 to 3.5 packs a day.
Which is 50 to 70 cigarettes, correct? 20 per pack?
Old 05-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Which is 50 to 70 cigarettes, correct? 20 per pack?

Yeppers.
(And I smoke 100s, so that's an additional 20mm of pleasure right there )

And, just in case somebody is curious about the math of that ...
I generally sleep 4-5 hours a day, 6 tops, so I'm awake for at least 18 hours.
And since the very first thing I do in the morning is light one & the very last thing I do at night is put one out, I make full use of those hours.

That's 18 x 60(mins) = 1080 mins a day
1080 mins a day / 60 = 1 every eighteen minutes.

Figure that it takes 6-8 to burn one down, that's basically
Smoke one, wait about the time it takes to smoke another, light another one.
(which is why I'm not technically a "chain smoker", which is usually defined as "lighting one off another one).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-02-2005 at 11:52 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #69
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Middlega strikes me as a Reds man, but thats probably too cliched. Im guessing either Winstons, or Newports.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #70
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Middlega strikes me as a Reds man, but thats probably too cliched. Im guessing either Winstons, or Newports.

Oh gag, Newports. I'd rather have an unfiltered Salem.

Actually, I've switched several times since starting, always a menthol guy tho.
Started on Salem Light 100's, pretty quickly switched to B&H Ultra Light Menthol 100s, then switched to Marlboro Lt Menthol 100s about the time they came out (which was probably 12-15 yrs ago IIRC).

I also have an affinity for Dunhill Menthol but they're both too expensive & too hard to find to enjoy regularly.

As for non-menthols, I can smoke one in a pinch, but I don't believe I've ever bought any for myself with the infrequent exception of trying something that was new/recommended/curiosity etc. About the only non-menthol I have ever particularly cared for in the slightest was Camel Filters, which aren't bad.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh gag, Newports. I'd rather have an unfiltered Salem.

Started on Salem Light 100's, pretty quickly switched to B&H Ultra Light Menthol 100s, then switched to Marlboro Lt Menthol 100s about the time they came out (which was probably 12-15 yrs ago IIRC).

I also have an affinity for Dunhill Menthol but they're both too expensive & too hard to find to enjoy regularly.

As for non-menthols, I can smoke one in a pinch, but I don't believe I've ever bought any for myself with the infrequent exception of trying something that was new/recommended/curiosity etc. About the only non-menthol I have ever particularly cared for in the slightest was Camel Filters, which aren't bad.

I smoked Camel filters for like 5 years, and then switched to newports/salems/parlaments for 4 more. Basically whichever one was cheapest.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:51 PM   #72
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I've never tried even one cigarette. Was lucky enough never to see my parents smoke in front of me, actually they had stopped smoking before I was born, so it never even tempted me.

My wife, while she smoked in her teens, has stopped many years ago, so hopefully we'll give the good exmaple to our children too. On top of preaching by example, we're simply telling them how and why smoking simply isn't healthy...

FM
Old 05-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #73
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Figure that it takes 6-8 to burn one down, that's basically
Smoke one, wait about the time it takes to smoke another, light another one.
(which is why I'm not technically a "chain smoker", which is usually defined as "lighting one off another one).

I have never smoked anything (cigs or otherwise) and never will.

I worked with a guy that smoked non stop. In an eight hour day the longest I ever saw him without a cigarette was 25 secs. Can't imagine how many packs a day he smoked.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #74
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
I've never tried even one cigarette. Was lucky enough never to see my parents smoke in front of me, actually they had stopped smoking before I was born, so it never even tempted me.

My wife, while she smoked in her teens, has stopped many years ago, so hopefully we'll give the good exmaple to our children too. On top of preaching by example, we're simply telling them how and why smoking simply isn't healthy...

FM

I remember going to the Boston Science Museum in elementary school and seeing a preserved black smokers lung sitting in a case next to a pink healthy one. That image kept me from smoking...until I was 16, at least.

I stopped smoking regularly when I stopped enjoying it, which was within a year of graduating from college. Nowadays, I smoke maybe one or two cigarettes every few months or so.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Owl
I worked with a guy that smoked non stop. In an eight hour day the longest I ever saw him without a cigarette was 25 secs. Can't imagine how many packs a day he smoked.

Even at just 6mins each, the most he could have done was 10/hour (and that's actually pushing it pretty hard IMO). So half a pack an hour, 4 pks in an 8 hr day.

What would be interesting to me would be whether he smoked like that away from work or if his pattern was different when not working.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #76
Silver Owl
High School JV

Quote:
Even at just 6mins each, the most he could have done was 10/hour (and that's actually pushing it pretty hard IMO). So half a pack an hour, 4 pks in an 8 hr day.

What would be interesting to me would be whether he smoked like that away from work or if his pattern was different when not working.

From what I gathered it was this way all the time. I asked one time if he smoked like that at home and he said yes.

We didn't get along too well (for other reasons) so I never really asked how many packs a day he smoked. My guess would be 5 - 7 packs. I had never seen anything like it. The 25 second comment above wasn't an exaggeration.
Silver Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 02:35 PM   #77
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

JoninMGA

I take it that you can smoke at your office. Have you ever had to turn down a job/had problems at a job/etc. because of the inability to smoke at work for long stretches?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #78
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Menthols? Ugh. If I ever wanted a bad headache, a menthol cigarette was my perscription. When I was smoking 2+ packs a day, it was Malboro Reds for me. I don't think I ever bought a pack of cigs that were not Malboro. I did go down to Lights (and Light 100s) eventually, though.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
JoninMGA

I take it that you can smoke at your office. Have you ever had to turn down a job/had problems at a job/etc. because of the inability to smoke at work for long stretches?

One of the beauties of owning the joint (now)

I'm lucky though, I'm just old enough to have started working when there wasn't a whole lot of major hoopla about smoking in the workplace. And when the hoopla really got going, I was most often far enough up the food chain where I had a certain amount of leeway, if not in terms of what I could do in my own office then in terms of where I could do it (one place in particular, it wasn't unusual for me to have set up shop on the loading dock, paperwork/laptop/cell, smoking away & working away at the same time.)

Now? God forbid I ever have to go back into the traditional workplace, but if I did, there's zero percent chance I'd even consider a job where it was much of an issue, it just wouldn't be realistic for me.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #80
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I'm lucky though, I'm just old enough to have started working when there wasn't a whole lot of major hoopla about smoking in the workplace. And when the hoopla really got going, I was most often far enough up the food chain where I had a certain amount of leeway, if not in terms of what I could do in my own office then in terms of where I could do it (one place in particular, it wasn't unusual for me to have set up shop on the loading dock, paperwork/laptop/cell, smoking away & working away at the same time.)

Now? God forbid I ever have to go back into the traditional workplace, but if I did, there's zero percent chance I'd even consider a job where it was much of an issue, it just wouldn't be realistic for me.

I've never met someone who loved a vice quite so much.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:37 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I've never met someone who loved a vice quite so much.

You should hear me get started about the importance of coffee
Old 05-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #82
korme
Go Reds

cigs are a cruel thing. my dad, facing the possibilty that his cancer might have spread to his lungs, has totally changed his lifestyle. he's drinking water like there is nothing else, he's eating healthy, i mean watching everything he eats...

but he can't give up smoking.

"it's the one thing i enjoy."

=/

Last edited by korme : 05-03-2005 at 02:09 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #83
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Reminds me of a few years ago. The law firm for which I used to work in D.C. did a lot of tobacco work back in the day. It was, accordingly, one of the last big firms/businesses in the area to go to a smoke free workplace. Even then, there were apparently a few "holdout" partners who had special filtration systems installed in their office just so they could smoke in there. (All of this happened before I got there). Bacardi (sp?) is/was one of our big clients. Of course, the very wealthy and very important executives of our very wealthy and very important client did not understand why they could not just light up cigars wherever they felt like it. Exceptions, of course, can always be made.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:12 AM   #84
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Now there's a drug I have a genuine medical need for.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:33 PM   #85
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
oh oh oh RIGHT like aliens don't!

I'll have you know that I smell like an autumn rose garden.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #86
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I don't know what coffee does for you, but I'm pretty sure wihout it, your head caves in.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote