Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #51
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
Can someone give me a quick rundown on what the announcers were saying as it went down?

"Oh my god, she dropped her bong!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.

Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #52
Warhammer
Pro Starter

This has never been seen before in the history of Women's Olympic Snowboard Cross!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:27 PM   #53
Dutch
"Dutch"

http://www.nbcolympics.com/snowboarding/index.html

There is video on the right hand side of the page. Aptly named "Jacobellis crashes, gives up gold"

You can see her get off to an amazing start and watch her lead build and build and then disappear. Then you can watch the jubilation of the Swiss team and Jocobellis just standing their staring at them dumbfounded.

Like I said, I feel really bad for the girl, really.

Last edited by Dutch : 02-18-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #54
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I don't know jack about that sport, but it looked pretty fun. And the crashes were a mess. Hope this doesn't plague her life like Buckner, but what am I saying, this is the olympics, no one will remember a thing.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #55
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
http://www.nbcolympics.com/snowboarding/index.html

There is video on the right hand side of the page. Aptly named "Jacobellis crashes, gives up gold"

You can see her get off to an amazing start and watch her lead build and build and then disappear. Then you can watch the jubilation of the Swiss team and Jocobellis just standing their staring at them dumbfounded.

Like I said, I feel really bad for the girl, really.

Maybe I'm a heartless asshole but I don't feel bad for her at all. I hate showboaters - in any sport or competition.

When your goal is to win, don't try to show off and rub the other competitors' faces in your victory. If you want to celebrate, do it AFTER THE EVENT IS OVER.

She got what she deserved, IMO. Actually, it would have been better if she would have not medaled at all.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #56
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Maybe I'm a heartless asshole but I don't feel bad for her at all. I hate showboaters - in any sport or competition.

When your goal is to win, don't try to show off and rub the other competitors' faces in your victory. If you want to celebrate, do it AFTER THE EVENT IS OVER.

She got what she deserved, IMO. Actually, it would have been better if she would have not medaled at all.

I guess I feel bad for her in hindsight. Seeing her stand there in disbelief, almost crying, with that look like, "What have I done?"

But yes, that is something she should have thought about before she tried to celebrate early. Not making up excuses, the Swiss girl deserves the medal, but what this girl did was just plain Leon Lett.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:33 PM   #57
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I guess I feel bad for her in hindsight. Seeing her stand there in disbelief, almost crying, with that look like, "What have I done?"

But yes, that is something she should have thought about before she tried to celebrate early. Not making up excuses, the Swiss girl deserves the medal, but what this girl did was just plain Leon Lett.

I take this to mean you didn't see her "post-game" interview where, initially laughing, she says "I was a little unbalanced on that final jump so I guess I tried to steady myself and it didn't quite work out".

Maybe that was taken out of context and it was a joke, but from what I saw on the NBC site she is trying to pass that off as legit.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #58
Jesse_Ewiak
Banned

Simple answer to the question. The vast majority of Olympians are between 18 and 30. People between these ages do stupid things at often the worse times to do stupid things. End of story.
Jesse_Ewiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
... but give me back the days when the Winter Olympics consisted of hockey games for the guys, figure skating for the girls, skiing for the Scandanavians, curling for the Canadians and bobsled & luge for the certifiably insane.

Given the cost of the television rights fees, if that's all you've got (i.e. without the elements that at least attempt to draw the casual viewer), you probably don't get much if any coverage at all. As it is, NBC is looking at significant losses on the Games, and those become major losses if they have ratings that slip below the guarantees made to advertisers in terms of audience, as they have to then give away inventory that would have otherwise been sold later in the year to makegood the guarantees. The prestige that goes with being the "Olympic Network" carries a certain value, but at some point that has to reach its limit (I suspect we're getting close to that point now).

(see rights fee escalation in a chart at the bottom of:
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/O/...lympicsand.htm
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #60
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I take this to mean you didn't see her "post-game" interview where, initially laughing, she says "I was a little unbalanced on that final jump so I guess I tried to steady myself and it didn't quite work out".

Maybe that was taken out of context and it was a joke, but from what I saw on the NBC site she is trying to pass that off as legit.

Yeah - that irritated me too...I almost felt bad for her when she was standing there in shock, but after she said that, nope. I did hear that she later owned up to it and said she was "caught up in the moment" and had made a bad call in doing the jump the way she did. That makes it a little better, but she should have just said that from the start and I think then more people would have felt sorry for her and thought "well, at least she learned her lesson" rather than "stupid idiot".
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #61
Rockstar
Mascot

This is just another example of the hype that is the United States. Wasnt this team billed as "the best team the US has ever fielded"? And it consists of overhyped morons. Too bad for these "athletes" the Olypics are not in the States.
I only feel bad that the girls wipe out wasnt more off course and caused her to lose out on ANY medal.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 AM   #62
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan

No, I did not see that but I heard about it. I think she's trying to play it off. I really think she's embarrassed. She's young and doesn't quite know how to say or want to say, "I fucked up."

However, she couldn't fake that reaction in the video clip above immediately following the loss while the Swiss, non-Method girl is celebrating her victory while Jacobellis is just standing there, dumbfounded. That's the more genuine reaction I think I'm reacting too.

I guess I don't mean to defend her, but I know it's going to be killing her for the rest of her life, whether she admits it or not.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #63
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar
This is just another example of the hype that is the United States. Wasnt this team billed as "the best team the US has ever fielded"? And it consists of overhyped morons. Too bad for these "athletes" the Olypics are not in the States.
Yep... If this is "America's Best Team Ever" then I'm embarrased as all Hell. Thankfully, I know that isn't the case!