Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2003, 03:44 AM   #51
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Brown-Out

ESPN.com

The Browns overcame smow and the Jaguars today to emerge from the Wild Card round with a victory over Jacksonville with a final score of 22-3. The Jaguars had no offense all day long, as the Browns just smothered team.

"This was a team effort," claimed Tim Couch when interviewed after the game. And it was.

Who would predict a 6-10 Cleveland team winning the AFC North? Who would predict 11-5 Jacksonville, the darling of sportswriters everywhere, storming into Cleveland and getting their butts handed to them? Who would have predicted any of this?

The Browns would have.

Believe in Cleveland. They have arrived."

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #52
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Other winners in the Wild Card round were:

Arizona over Philadelphia 20-13
Miami over San Diego 24-10
Chicago over San Francisco 30-20

The Divisional round:

St. Louis over Arizona 38-27
Tampa Bay over Chicago 38-21
Oakland over Cleveland 35-14
Miami over Indianapolis 33-10

So the Conference Championships are:

Tampa at St. Louis (-9)
Miami at Oakland (-8)

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #53
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"Conference Championship to be Played Today

Steve Sharly
AP Sports

With the matchups today, their is a clear favorite. In both cases, the 15-1 top seeds in the conferences have survived and are playing at home. Both are obvious choices.

In the NFC, #2 Seed Tampa Bay is travelling to town. Despite their #2 status, they are getting little respect.

In the AFC, #3 Seed Miami has survied. They are a surprise, however. Called a "False Champion" by pundits referring to Miami's 8-7-1 record, the Dolphins have upended the 9-7 Chargers and the 14-2 Colts. There's not too much false there.

Even the 6-10 Browns managed to knock off 11-5 Jacksonville. So, two of the heavies in the AFC are home today, watching the game on TV. Which leaves Oakland as the obvious choice for a Super Bowl.

In the NFC, however, there was always only one heavy. The Rams were 15-1, Tampa Bay and Chicago were next at 10-6. That's a difference of five games. Obviously they were not in the same league.

So, yes, Tampa is the #2 seed and still around. But the Rams are continuing to be heavy favorites.

Is a St. Louis-Oakland Super Bowl inevitable? We find out in a few hours."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #54
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Oakland over Miami 17-16
St. Louis over Tampa Bay 38-13

Your Super Bowl matchup:

Oakland vs St Louis (-2)

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:45 AM   #55
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anybody remember the days of the NFC blowing out the AFC in the Super Bowl?

St. Louis - 45
Oakland - 17

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #56
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here are some statistics for our players:

QB Mark Brunell, 13 starts, 272 of 462 for 2977 yards and 22 TDs, 15 Ints, 31 sacks. 31 rushes for 131 yards and 3 TDs.

RB Fred Taylor, 270 carries for 1039 yards and 7 TDs, 69 catches for 525 yards, 6 TDs.

WR Jimmy Smith, 93 catches for 1232 yards and 2 TDs

WR Benden Lofton, 13 starts, 44 grabs for 567 yards, 7 TDs

TE Kyle Brady, 37 snags for 414 yards, 4 TDs, 7 KRB out of 17 KRO, 0 SkA

SLB Kevin Hardy, 98 Tacks, 34 Assts, 5 Sacks, 1 Int, 13 PasDef, 4 FF, 3 FumRec, 1 FR TD

MLB Wali Rainer, 93 Tacks, 35 Assts, 1 Sack, 8 Ints, 3 Int TDs, 9 PasDef, 5 FF, 1 FumRec

FS Sam Shade, 93 Tacks, 36 Assts, 3 Ints, 10 PasDef, 1 FumRec, 2 KR TDs

SS Donovin Darius, 74 Tacks, 22 Assts, 1 Sack, 6 Ints, 1 Int TD, 10 PasDef, 1 FumRec

DE Stalin Colinet, 41 Tacks, 11 Assts, 10.5 Sacks, 1 FumRec, 1 FR TD

DT John Henderson, 48 Tacks, 16 Assts, 5.5 Sacks, 1 PasDef, 1 FF, 3 FumRec, 1 FR TD

CB Jason Craft, 62 Tacks, 18 Assts, 5 Ints, 11 PasDef, 1 FF

G Raleigh Roundtree, 29 KRB out of 69 KRO, 8 SkA

Who is the most valuable player on my defense? Wali Rainer and he unbelievable 8 picks? Kevin Hardy and his 5 sacks? Sam Shade and his picks and Kick Return TDs? Each player has done very well this year. Even John Henderson's stats bely his blocked punts. My defense makes me very happy.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #57
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Awards:

Player of the Year is Garrison Hearst. Kurt Warner was Super Bowl MVP.

But my players were snubbed for All-League honors. Wali Rainer was tied for fourth most picks. He was behind Charles Woodson, Shaun Williams and Samari Rolle. He also had returns, tackles, and so forth. And yet, no All League berth.

Sam Shade was the only person in the league with more than one kick return TD. I'd think he'd get props for that. Nope.

So, no awards for an 11-5 team. Odd.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #58
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"What Might Have Been

Al Hampton
Sports Columnist
Orlando Sentinel

The Jaguars were such a team of promise this year. Last year they renewed everybody's faith when they won they won AFC South then advanced to the AFC Chamiponship.

It was such a great story.

How do you jettison perennial All-League Honors T Tony Boselli? How do you ship off a Pro Bowl DT Gary Walker? Pro Bowl Kevin Hardy? Starting Corner Aaron Beasly? Pro Bowl Receiver Keenan McCardell? How do you lose all of those players in one year, and yet still make it to the AFC Championship?

It was a story for the ages. And the Jaguars proved it was no fluke by going 11-5 this year. No fluke. Jacksonville's record would have been enough to win 5 of the 8 division in the NFL, but they were playing in the same division as the 14-2 Indianapolis Colts.

And yet, the Jaguars were scripted for greatness. To open with a 6-10 team in the playoffs? You could not draw up an easier road. Sure it was in Cleveland, sure it was in snow, and sure Mark Brunell was out for the season. But still. Playoff games do not come more one-sided than that.

And yet. we sit here at the end of another Super Bowl. No Jacksonville. For the Cleveland Browns deconstructed the Jaguars on that day.

The script, it would seem, was meant for someone else."

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:46 AM   #59
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Got a 63 performance, 48 value, 46 profit/loss, and 80 roster strength for an overall 53 score.

Our scout's contract is up. I really like the Bengals ex-scout so I offer him a contract. I offer a contract better than any scout currently has in the NFL, $450k. And for five years.

As for Tom Coughlin. The guy has ayear left on his contract, but I just don't know.

There is a hot college coach named Malcolm Rauch. He has no coaching experience. I offer him a significant contract.

At the end of the first week, we took the scout from Cincinnati. However, several other scouts have signed for more money, so I think we got a good deal.

In a bit of revenge, Cincinnati signs our hot coaching candidate. There are a few head coaches marginally better than Tom left. But they cost 2.5 to 3 mill per year. Tom has one year left at 980k. I'll keep him.

Meet Isaac Reynolds, our new Head Scout
67 Years Old

Excellent: WR
Very Good: O-Line, Secondary
Good: LB, Young Talent
Average: QB, RB, K, D-Line

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #60
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

General Manager's Report:

Total Revenues: $93,930,000
Total Expenditures: $122,290,000
Total Loss: 28,360,000

The costs increased predominantly in player bonuses. Since few contracts were signed two years prior when the Jaguars were in Salary Cap Jail, the accounts for that time gave the Jaguars a bonus. New rookies, extended contracts, and free agents created a boon in bonuses. Those should go back down to a reasonable number this year.

Franchise Value:

Jacksonville is worth $405,680,000. That's right in the middle of the league at 17th.

Ratings:

Our Stadium is among the worst in the league. Ticket Prices will not be raised again this year due to attendance.

Our roster is rated among the highest in the league. That increases our value somewhat.

We have excellent support from the fans, although lower than many other clubs.

The Economy of Jacksonville is only fair. It is, in fact, among the bottom 7 cities to host an NFL franchise.

Attendance Report:

We averaged 71,000 fans in teh seats last year - a 94.6 capacity. That is an increase of 6% over last year. However we were still in the bottom half of theleague in capacity percentage.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #61
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Cincinnati ended up signing our old scout, Kenyon Clinton. So we have Cincinnati's old scout, and they have ours. And their new head coach was our top prospect. Funny.

I don't raise ticket prices up. Not this year. Not until our capacity increases.

I am looking over our roster. Here are the starters or important backups whose contracts are up:

MLB Wali Rainer
LG Raleigh Roundtree
FS Ainsley Battles
RCB Jason Craft
LDE Stalin Colinet
SE Bobby Shaw
RB Stacey Mack

Mack and Rainer are our leaders in their position groups. I would slap the Franchise Tag on Wali, but he really wants to test the free agent waters. I won't miss anybody else.

There are several ILBs ranked higher than Rainer. So I decide to grant him his wish. Set them free, and when they come back, they will be yours. Or something like that.

So, no franchise tag.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 AM   #62
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We begin Free Agency only 14 million under the cap. To create some money I cut R. Jay Soward.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Kyle Brady is a problem. It's the final year of his contract. He's an ok TE, but not that good, really. Yet he is costing 3.8 mill against the cap. Ick. I can free up 3 mill by releaasing him. However, he is our receivers leader. Even renegiotating his contract results in a a 1.2 mill savings or so. I'll sit on Brady for a while until I assess our needs.

So, let's assess our needs:

Backup RB
Starting or Backup TE
Starting LT
Starting LG
Starting or Backup LDE
Starting MLB
Starting WLB

There are several high profile players available in free agency this year. Michael Strahan, Marvin Harrison, Sebastian Janikowski, Jonathan Ogden, Aeneas Williams, Derrick Brooks. It's like a Who's Who of football players.

Wali wants a five year contract, which I have no problem giving him. It's just that the cap hits are a bit pricey for my tastes, considering his value. The first two years are decent 4.2 and 5.3 mill. But 6.2, 7.2 and 8.2 are way too high for his ability. I can find much cheaper and not too much worse.

So I offer a contract to Dat Nguyen. A well-rounded LB with no real specialities and much more cheap. Nguyen is the 4th rated ILB, right after Wali.

I also offer a contract to LG Brenden Stai. I'll steer clear of the Ogden sweepstakes. He's been moved to LG.

I offer a cheap contract to LT Chris Terry. I need depth at the position. If a good LT drops late, I might try and sign him.

The only good TE is Cameron Cleeland. There are Tight Ends that are older and ranked higher. But he is the one without flaws and still has years to play. I offer him a contract as well.

I don't see any DEs that thrill me better than Coleman for the money. I sould try and play the "Who Gets Strahan Game." But, I'm not really in the mood.

So, our four opening offers are to:

TE Cameron Cleeland, 7.2 mill/3 years
T Chris Terry, 1.33 mill/2 years
G Brenden Stai, 11.96 mill/3 years
ILB Dat Nguyen, 6.8 mill/3 years

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:48 AM   #63
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dat Nguyen and Cameron Cleeland sign with us immediately. I release Kyle Brady in week two so he has a chance to sign with somebody.

Several Ts have been offered deals, but not Jon Runyan. I send him a 3 year/14.7 mill offer.

Week 3 and Brenden Stai has signed with us. Excellent.

Another week and Runyan signs back with Phily. There are no real stud Ts left, so I'll wait a few more weeks and see if any of the decent ones go unsigned.

A few weeks pass and I see a funny sight. There are four O-Linemen offered contracts and none are signed. They are Chris Terry - my man. And Solomon Page, Mike Compton and Rich Braham. What do those players have in common? Each played under Don Nehlen at WVU. Interesting.

In Week 10, Chris Terry finally signs with us.

So, every initial target of the Jaguars Front Office is now in the fold.

In Week 17 I check the offensive tackles again. There are a few poor but acceptable starters left, but nothing deep. I decide to see what the draft has, first.

Wali Rainer is still available. His contract demands have diminished a bit. Not that much, though. I have my Dat. I'm happy.

You could almost build a team with the players that are left - Peerless Price, Patrick Surtain, Wali Rainer, Mike Rucker, Ronde Barber, and so forth.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:48 AM   #64
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Before the draft begins, let's go back and assess our most important needs:

Backup RB
Starting or Backup TE - FILLED
Starting LT
Starting LG - FILLED
Starting or Backup LDE
Starting MLB - FILLED
Starting WLB

We need the following backup positions:

RB x2
FB
TE
WRx2
C
DT
ILB
CB
FS

We are drafting number 23.

There are no players from Eastern Michigan in the Draft.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #65
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

First Round Draft:

1. San Diego - T Paul Brewer, Oregon

According to my scout, Paul has limitless potential and great current stats. A good pick.

2. Denver - DE Marco Sualua, Florida
3. Detroit - DT Bill Foley, Michigan
4. Atlanta - DT Edwin Bush, Alabama
5. Pittsburgh - DE Graham Hampton, Miss State
6. NY Giants - RB Rod Wallace, Penn State
7. Atlanta - RB Wendell Purcell, Boston College
8. Tennessee - OLB Jake Kirk, Miami, Fl
9. Baltimore - DE Dominic Armanda, Georgia
10. San Diego - DT Marco Matich, Minnesota
11. Carolina - DT Percy Gowins, Texas A&M
12. Minnesota - DE Rondell Givens, Penn State
13. Washington - DE Luther Ward, Miami, Fl
14. New England - DE Tommie McIntyre, Auburn
15. NY Jets - DT Jerome Osborne, Oregon
16. Buffalo - G Corwin Lesky, Alabama
17. New Orleans - QB Grant Walker, Florida St.
18. Baltimore - T Antonio Bennett, Oklahoma
19. Green Bay - DE Cole Fields, Syracuse
20. San Diego - OLB Irv Voss, Colorado
21. Seattle - G Kennedy Wynn, Texas
22. San Francisco - G Adam Timpson, Colorado St.

Everything looked good for us until a run on guards late. There are two franchise centers available. I find drafting one to be tempting.

However, look at what has not gone off the board. No WRs, No CBs, No Ss. So, I decide to buck the trends and take the first CB. The best CB on the board, actually.

23. Jacksonville - CB Leonard Starks, Oregon State

24. New England - G Chris Garcia, Alabama
25. Cleveland - RB A.J. Starks, Alabama
26. Miami - DE Edward Clark, Clemson
27. Philadelphia - DE Andre Ellard, Florida
28. Chicago - T Todd Acevedo, Notre Dame
29. Tampa Bay - C Wendell Kratky, Penn State
30. Indianapolis - OLB Luther Matuatia, Alabama
31. Oakland - ILB Cornelius Qualizza, Mich St
32. St. Louis - CB Dean Morton, Maryland

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #66
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Chris Berman: And what do you make of all of these Defensive Linemen flying off the boards?

Jimmy Johnson: Good defense begins and ends with the trenches. Teams realize that they have to have goiod defensive limen, and probably should have one or two in the stable to spell the starter when tired to play when they are injured.

Chris: I just have a few stats. Nine defensive ends were drafted in the first round. Another 5 defensive tackles were drafted. However, only one quarterback, no receivers, 2 corners drafted. Those are high profile positions and we usually see more taken.

Mel Kiper Jr.: Well Chris, there QB and Receiver crops just aren't as good this year. You'll find the same quality receiver in the second as you will in the first this year. So why draft now? And this QB class is really bad.

Chris: Alright, let's catch up on some draft choices. We start with Jacksonville sitting in the 23 spot. They took the first corner, Leonard Starks.

Mel: This pick is interesting. Jason Craft was left via free agency, but I still wouldn't say that corer was a need for the Jaguars. They have Mike McKenzie, Fernando Bryant, and last year's #2 pick Lawrence Holmes. So why pick Leonard?

I think this was simply a case of best available. And he was among the best players available at this pick. If he fulfills his potential, this is an annual pro-bowler. He'll need some time to develop, of course.

Jimmy: You need shutdown corners. Mike McKenzie will shut opposing receivers down. Lawrence Holmes might, someday, do the same. Fernando Bryant does not do that, however. So this is a better pick thatn Mel seems to think. When you are gifted with the best cornerback in the draft at pick 23, you don't turn it away.

Chris: Very well. It will be exciting to see if Leonard Starks can fulfill his potential.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:49 AM   #67
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"With their second round draft pick in the 2004 draft, the Jaguars select the Center from Alabama, Clarence Garrett"

Chris: Now what do you think about this last pick by the Jaguars?

Mel: Best available pick again. As we said, he was the top player on my draft board left. Clarence has the ability to be a decent run blocker and a mammoth pass bloker. He is also really strong and powerful, and he'll stay in the game awhile. Clarence will be the Jaguars starter down the line, if he's not this year. Good quality pick.

Jimmy: I like what Bram Sargent is doing over there in Jacksonville. His draft is savvy. The Jaguars made the playoffs the past two years, so you know the team is talented. So, just make the best picks possible. Don't worry about drafting for need so much - not yet anyway. He doesn't panic, just takes the quality.

Mel: Very true. You would think he has more football experience that he does.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:50 AM   #68
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

"With their third round draft pick, the Jaguars select the wide receiver from Michigan Damon Roberts"

Mel: There was better quality left among the defensive line and LB Corps, but the good wideouts were dwindling, so this isn't a bad pick. He's a great kick returner who'll need some time. Very raw talent and better upside than any other receiver left on the board.

"With their fourth round selection, the Jaguars take the DT from Clemson, Chad Bohdanowicz"

Jimmy: Maybe they would have been better with an offensivce tackle or linebacker here.

Mel: Well, if you want to go defensive tackle, he was the best guy left. I don't know, considering the holes they have to fill.

"With their fifth round selection the Jaguars select the tackle from Miami of Florida, Alfred Shea."

Mel: Not the best offensive tackle on my board. He is well-developed. Maybe they like that about him. Very strong, but his blocking skils are lacking.

"With their sixth round selection, the Jaguars take the inside linebacker from Bowling Green, Terrance Blades"

Mel: There he goes. We've been talking about this guy for a round, a round and a half even. There is no excuse for Terrance to still be on the board this late. He is just a strong linebakcer with great potential. He could start in a year or two in the most crowded linebacker corps. Excellent pick. Again, we are seeing the Jaguars select the players who might fall a bit.

"With their last selection of the 2004 NFL Draft, Jacksonville takes J.J. Matthews, running back from Florida"

Jimmy: I've seen him play up close. He's a good back., but I think yu can do just as well with the undrafted backs after the draft. Might want to take a position that is scarce here, instead.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:50 AM   #69
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The 2004 Draft:

1 - Leonard Starks, CB, Oregon State
2 - Clarence Garrett, C, Alabama
3 - Damon Roberts, WR, Michigan
4 - Chad Bohdanowicz, DT, Clemson
5 - Alfred Shea, T, Miami, Fl
6 - Terrance Blades, ILB, Bowling Green
7 - J.J. Matthews, RB, Florida

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:50 AM   #70
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Post-draft we are 6.43 mill under the cap. I have 44 players under contract. I try to re-sign Stacey Mack, but he still wants 1.9 mill a year. No way.

I sign the following undrafted rookies:

QB Mickey Blackburn, 620k/2 years, Georgia Tech
RB Leon Strickland, 620k/2 years, Alabama
TE Roosevelt Avita, 620k/2 years, Purdue
G Wally Reedy, 270k/1 Year, Notre Dame
DE Christian Sayre, 620k/2 years, Penn State

I also sign the following Restricted Free Agents:

FB Mitchell Heath, 780k/2 years
CB Pete Gaylor, 350k/1 year
RB Jerome Cholewczynski, 350k/1 year

With no good rookies to choose from, I sign:

S Arturo Freeman, 1.26 mill/2 years

I decide to re-sign:

SE Bobby Shaw, 980k/1 year

I release:

QB David Garrard

I now have 53 players under contract heading into camp.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #71
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After camp, here is what I have learned:

Team Leaders:

RB Jerome Cholewczynski
TE Chris Luzar
C Mike Flynn
ILB Dat Nguyen
SS James Boyd

Dat Nguyen looks like a good pickup simply because alot of my defensive guys have an affinity towards him. Excellent. Several people have conflicts with James Boyd, however.

FB Keith Moore is growing into the starting role nicely. I just got a trade offer for him with a 2nd round pick. My kind response was nope. I like him.

CB Leonard Starks is largely what we thought when I drafted him. He busted very slightly in some coverage skills, however. Namely Bump and Run.

C Clarence Garrett could start soon. Maybe after the preseason, maybe next year.

ILB Terrance Blades busted a little in his potentials, but even so, he was still great quality for the 6th round.

WLB Colin Barnes and Harris Bernstein have both busted tremendously.

I need a WLB coming out of camp, so I go shopping.

When you think about it, it's sad that I can sign a street free agent better then the three WLBs I have on my roster.

I offer a contract to Leon Kemnitzer, a second year LB out of Kansas State. He was undrafted two years ago, but he was signed to Tampa's roster as filler. I sign him to a one year 730k deal.

And now he will start. Sad.

I release Colin Barnes.

I have received an offer from the Bengals for Scottie Diligenica. A 1st round pick! I decide to see if they are playing with me. While I am still on the phone with the Cincinnati message-boy, I call the Bengals front office and offer the same trade. Scottie for a 1st rounder. But, he tells me its just a practical joke. So I pick up the guy I have on hold and inform him that I am in the loop. We have a big laugh and I hang up on him - I have more important things to do.

I am 2.5 million under the cap. I check players in their final year. Fred taylor is, but it would cost us a lot to re-sing him. I'll probably franchise him at the end of the year if I want to keep him.

G Chris Naeole is the only other player of worth whose contract expires at the end of this year. It would cost way too much to sign him to a long term deal.

I guess that I won't be resigning anybody this year.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #72
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Your Jacksonville Jaguars:

QB Mark Brunell - The very essence of the Jaguars.

RB Fred Taylor - Good receiver, great breakaway threat. Not the best pounder. And that is why we have...

FB Keith Moore - Sophomore FB is becoming a good blocker and is a strong inside runner too. Not the best catching FB, however.

TE Cameron Cleeland - Adequate blocker, good pass threat.

FL Brenden Lofton - Potential has decreased some with new scout. Not good at route running or getting downfield. Excellent big play man and 3rd down option.

SE Jimmy Smith - Well rounded reciever who does not excel in any area but can play any role.

LT Adam Meadows - Experienced man who should open holes for Fred.

LG Brenden Stai - Strong blocker with average skills.

C Mike Flynn - Acceptable starter who is keeping the place warm for rookie Clarence Garrett.

RG Chris Naeole - Another average starter. No holes.

RT Chris Terry - Strongest blocker on the line and can maul defensive players. Not a great blocker, however.

P Todd Sauerbrun - A player from my Alma Mater. Todd is great at every aspect of being a punter. He also has the strongest leg in the NFL.

K Rickey Mayes - Misses too many PATs. He's still a good kicker. I hope his happy leg has died down.

LDE Marco Coleman - Horrible against the run. Good play diagnosis and good pass rush skills.

LDT Marcus Stroud - Not that good against the run but a fine pass rusher.

RDT John Henderson - Can single handedly take a game over.

RDE Tony Brackens - Can also take over a game. Skills are good, strength and hitting is phoenominal.

SLB Kevin Hardy - Only good in coverage if he is on a bump and run. Great pass rushing and good against the run.

MLB Dat Nguyen - Solid against the run. Decent in the pass rush and also good at bump and run. Very weak at zone defense. Not a real strong hitter either.

WLB Leon Kemnitzer - Will play behind Brackens and Henderson, so they'll have to stop the big stuff. Leon is strong. Everywhere else he has varying degrees of poor, awful, or ok.

LCB Mike McKenzie - Out shutdown corner. Play diagnosis is not great, and he can get fooled sometimes. Not the best at picking off the ball, either.

RCB Fernando Bryant - While rookie Leonard Starks and sophomore Lawrence Holems are developing, Bryant will get the start.

SS Donovin Darius - Can tackle a truck and good on the defense too. Not weak anywhere.

FS Sam Shade - Great at run defense. Solid everywhere else.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #73
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

From Bram Sargent's Electronic Journal (Found Posthumously):

I decided to switch from the microrecorder to my laptop. I like seeing my words. It's helps coagulate my thoughts.

We have the first game in the preseason this year. Versus the Seahawks. We win 23-7.

Two weeks later we thump Detroit 34-7. A close escape over Arizona 20-16 and we have a chance to be undefeated in the preseason.

Unfortunately, we lay an egg in Green Bay losing 19-0.

Some injuries and such, but now its the regular season. Buckle up.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:51 AM   #74
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Oakland, Washington and Chicago went undefeated during the preseason. We'll see if their sucess holds up for the year.

-Anxiety

Old 02-05-2003, 03:52 AM   #75
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

From Bram Sargent's Electronic Journal (Found Posthumously):

Fred Taylor and Mike McKenzie are a little wounded. Both are listed as probable and both will play this week.

We are three point favorites versus the Titans this week where only their coach is ranked better than us.

The Titans score a TD in the first quarter. Those are the only points put on the board in the opening quarter.

Tennessee scores a second TD in the middle of the second quarter and the sidelines for Jacksonville are getting quiet.

We put up 7 points of our own just before the two minute warning. The halftime score is 14-7 Tennessee.

A long range strike by Bruenll deep into the third quarter and the score is tied. We score on the next possession just before the third quarter ends. 21-14 Jags.

The furth quarter grinds away. Tennesee gets the ball on their 6 with 3:19 left. Incomplete pass. Incomplete pass. Pass for 7 yards. They are forced to punt.

We gain sveeral first downs and Tennessee never gets the ball back. 21-14 Jacksonville.

Game MVP: Mark Brunell, 23 of 31 for 306 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int, 0 sacks

Game Ball: WR Jimmy Smith, 9 catches, 121 yards, Recovered a fumble by Fred Taylor and ran it in for a TD.

No picks, only one sack. Our defense needs to get more pressure.

-Anxiety