Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #51
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

well it's true. lol.

or at least...i hate spending it on stuff that isn't "fun" and clothes aren't fun.

new cellphones are fun, but they're also crazy expensive.

fortunately it got fixed (basically replaced) for free.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aah.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #53
stevew
Hall Of Famer

what was wrong with your phone?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i theorize that a wire between the "guts" (the chipset and all) and the lcd screen had stopped working/gotten pinched or something. cuz the lcd screen would give off a backlight so it was still getting power, but it wasn't receiving the image the software was sending.

but they replaced the front-panel and the back panel (so basically gave me a new phone with my old chipset+memory) and it's good as new (since it is new...telltale scratches and all gone. d-pad that had stopped working now works again)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #55
Logan
Head Coach

In my experience, the cheaper non iron shirts wrinkle 100% of the time.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #56
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Have any of you actually ever had a custom made shirt?

No and I never spent 10 bucks an OUNCE on steak either, doesn mean I'm gonna go out and do so now =)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:23 PM   #57
RendeR
Coordinator

You're still using that sig line, based on this thread it must be removed...the sooner the better
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

lol - i am? i don't see it - weird. i thought i hadn't been using it for like...months.

anyways i canceled the shirt anyways, so maybe i'll keep the sig line.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #59
RendeR
Coordinator

No now its gotta be more like

"After being abused verbally by my friends I am smarter than I once was"
Old 06-15-2009, 02:29 PM   #60
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
No now its gotta be more like

"After being abused verbally by my random people who like myself spend far too many hours of their day posting on an internet messageboard for a football text-sim I am smarter than I once was"

fixed that for you
Old 06-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #61
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #62
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Just for some sanity here, there is a difference between a $10 shirt and a $125 shirt. Having said that, if you think you're spending too much money, perhaps go with a $50 shirt instead.

Yeah there's $115 difference

(seriously yes some shirts can be better tailored .... BUT my sister worked in a sweatshop when she was younger making jeans and litterally the only difference between certain brands was the label they put on last .... finding that out as a teenager was quite a shock to the system, although it was very cool having Levi everything (my sister used to sew the labels into anything that didn't move ) )

PS - When I was younger and single I used to blow 50 quid on a posh shirt now and again, which is probably about the same price in todays money - however your feelings about such things definitely do alter as you get older and have more responsibilities .... I find it very hard to spend that sort of dosh on clothes these days because there are always bills waiting somewhere and even if there aren't there's that little voice warning me about the kids wanting to go to university in a few years ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-15-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #63
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hehe

well i canceled it anyways
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 AM   #64
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

thats not gonna get you out of this tho.....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #65
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Yeah there's $115 difference

(seriously yes some shirts can be better tailored .... BUT my sister worked in a sweatshop when she was younger making jeans and litterally the only difference between certain brands was the label they put on last .... finding that out as a teenager was quite a shock to the system, although it was very cool having Levi everything (my sister used to sew the labels into anything that didn't move ) )

I'm sorry, but there is a difference between the $10 jeans at wal-mart and, say, a pair of Diesel jeans. Maybe not between some $20 jeans and a pair of levi's, but there is certainly a difference.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #66
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry, but there is a difference between the $10 jeans at wal-mart and, say, a pair of Diesel jeans. Maybe not between some $20 jeans and a pair of levi's, but there is certainly a difference.

I have a friend that is a buyer for a small chain of clothing stores that also has their own line of clothing. He recently added a new line of Jeans that are supposedly made in the same factory from the same material, same cuts, measurements etc. as 7 jeans (I had to google 7 jeans I had never heard of them but apparently they are $150 jeans) Identical in every way except the labels.

They sell in their stores for 17.99/pair and cost him just over .89/each.

Next time I see him I will ask him about Diesels
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #67
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hehe
Old 06-16-2009, 08:56 AM   #68
MikeVic
Head Coach

For pricier jeans, I don't mind spending if they feel nice. Cheap jeans won't have the fade that I want all the time, or might not feel nice (I guess soft is the feeling). If there are $20 jeans with the fade and feel I want, then all the better. But I haven't found them yet.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #69
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I have a friend that is a buyer for a small chain of clothing stores that also has their own line of clothing. He recently added a new line of Jeans that are supposedly made in the same factory from the same material, same cuts, measurements etc. as 7 jeans (I had to google 7 jeans I had never heard of them but apparently they are $150 jeans) Identical in every way except the labels.

Wanna bet they're not?

I don't spend more than about $50-75 on jeans because the ones I get at Banana Republic/Gap are perfect for me from a fit and style standpoint. I would wager a solid grand that I could pick those out from a triangle lineup among a Walmart pair on sight alone. Let me feel them for 5 seconds and I'll bump it up to $2000. Replace the BR/Gap jeans with Diesel, Lucky, etc and my confidence expands up to $10k.

And for the record, I don't give a shit about labels.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 AM   #70
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Not to back down too much, but a small independent chain is very different from Wal-Mart. IMO, at least. Perhaps I am entirely wrong, and I can accept that if so. However, I just don't think Old Navy jeans are of the same quality as some higher-end brands (even Levi's -- which are mid-range at best) based on my own personal experience.

And, also, fwiw, the jeans I own are older Mossimo jeans from target, 2 pair of Levi's, and one pair of Diesel that I got at a greatly reduced price.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #71
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Wanna bet they're not?

I don't spend more than about $50-75 on jeans because the ones I get at Banana Republic/Gap are perfect for me from a fit and style standpoint. I would wager a solid grand that I could pick those out from a triangle lineup among a Walmart pair on sight alone. Let me feel them for 5 seconds and I'll bump it up to $2000. Replace the BR/Gap jeans with Diesel, Lucky, etc and my confidence expands up to $10k.

And for the record, I don't give a shit about labels.

Well, I am not an expert, I am just relaying what I was told by a friend who I would consider an expert.

The way he explained it to me, and again I can only relay this, is that there are only so many types of denim (or any material for that matter) and that almost all if not all clothing is made in low wage oriental sweat shops. The trick is to figure out what type of material the popular brands use, find out the factory they use, and go from there. Apparently when you contact these factories and do tours they brag about their high end labels (contracts forbid them to disclose who they make for, so they never do it over the phone, etc. but when you are walking through a plant it is pretty obvious what they make )

According to him the one thing that is a "secret" or that the facilities will not share is the cut or dimensions. But this is easily reverse engineered by simply buying a few of each size, destructing them and measuring.

When I wear jeans it is almost exclusively for working so I usually wear thicker carhartt or similar, so I can not comment. I do know that I used to wear khakis only from Ralph Lauren or Nautica (nothing special about those brands they just fit me the best) He gave me two pair and said they were RL clones and after 6 months (gave them to me back at Christmas) I can not tell a difference and they have aged equal.

However, and this may make a difference. Thes guys are not single stores in a run down mall they have 25 or so free standing clothing stores, so they spend a few more $ than most independents I would assume, and may have access to facilities that some do not. Certainly Wal Mart could, but I am not sure that is their target.

I am not going to throw the store name out there (PM me if you are local and care) because I am not too sure how much of this is accepted practce etc.

But it seems reasonable that if you buy the same materials as XYZ, have the same factory sew it as XYZ to the same dimensions as XYZ you would end up with a very close impersonation to XYZ.....
Old 06-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #72
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Not to back down too much, but a small independent chain is very different from Wal-Mart. IMO, at least. Perhaps I am entirely wrong, and I can accept that if so. However, I just don't think Old Navy jeans are of the same quality as some higher-end brands (even Levi's -- which are mid-range at best) based on my own personal experience.

And, also, fwiw, the jeans I own are older Mossimo jeans from target, 2 pair of Levi's, and one pair of Diesel that I got at a greatly reduced price.

Dola-
I am with you 100%.
I have 2 pair of Old navy jeans the wife bought me on one of those $5 clearance deals and I cant stand to put them on, actually reminds me I am throwing those out today while she is gone....

I dont clothes shop at wal mart but do they even have their own brand or are they still peddling the Wranglers?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #73
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, 4 for $199...never go wrong.

Dress British and think Yiddish...FTW!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #74
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

You're right, the diesel jeans go for an ungodly amount of money more for the same fracking things, a pair of DENEM PANTS.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-16-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #75
RendeR
Coordinator

Faded Glory is the label /brand that wal-mart tends to push more than anything, from shirts to shoes and pants and everything in between.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #76
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
You're right, the diesel jeans go for an ungodly amount of money more for the same fracking things, a pair of DENEM PANTS.

Give me a break with this. The "difference" is not just the price. They are not the same thing, I'm sorry if you don't want to spend the money for superior quality, but Old Navy and most designer jeans are NOT the same if you take away the price. The Old Navy jeans are not cut as well and do not last as long.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #77
RendeR
Coordinator

I've bought maybe 8 pair of jeans in the last 10 years.

They are wal mart specials, they last for freaking ever. and *GASP* their amazingly comfortable.

I spent anywhere from 12-15 dollars a pair.

If you're spending 50+ on denim jeans you're being ripped off. if you're ok with that, then yter ok with that. Just because its more expensive or gets sold as some overly perfumed shop in a Mall does not make it better quality or last longer or fit better.

And THATs the only real difference between teh expensive ones and what I buy, location, location, location.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #78
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I've bought maybe 8 pair of jeans in the last 10 years.

They are wal mart specials, they last for freaking ever. and *GASP* their amazingly comfortable.

I spent anywhere from 12-15 dollars a pair.

If you're spending 50+ on denim jeans you're being ripped off. if you're ok with that, then yter ok with that. Just because its more expensive or gets sold as some overly perfumed shop in a Mall does not make it better quality or last longer or fit better.

And THATs the only real difference between teh expensive ones and what I buy, location, location, location.

Guess I'm an asshole for actually liking the way I look in $60 jeans that I will wear hundreds of times.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:49 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The latest tangent in this thread reminds me that over the weekend I was trying to remember the last time I actually wore a pair of jeans & for the life of me I can't come up with when it would have been. It's been over a year I'm sure, I just couldn't figure whether it's been more than 2 years.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #80
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The latest tangent in this thread reminds me that over the weekend I was trying to remember the last time I actually wore a pair of jeans & for the life of me I can't come up with when it would have been. It's been over a year I'm sure, I just couldn't figure whether it's been more than 2 years.

George F. Will - America's Bad Jeans - washingtonpost.com

Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 PM   #81
Schmidty
Coordinator

Render's a broken record.

WE GET IT!!!!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #82
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heh. I don't particularly have the righteous indignation thing going about it like GFW does, I simply find pants made of material like cargo pants (or whatever they're called these days) - canvas, cotton, whatever - a lot more comfortable to sit around in.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #83
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh. I don't particularly have the righteous indignation thing going about it like GFW does, I simply find pants made of material like cargo pants (or whatever they're called these days) - canvas, cotton, whatever - a lot more comfortable to sit around in.

Yeah, it just made me think of that ridiculous column. It wasn't really meant to imply you were of like mind to Will, just made me think of it. (I suppose that would have been clear if I typed something other than the link)

Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
(I suppose that would have been clear if I typed something other than the link)

No harm there, I got a decent chuckle out of it actually.

At most I thought you might have been asking whether it was a style issue for me but otherwise I just figured it was a chance to toss out a column that most of us missed the first time around.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-16-2009 at 08:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #85
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
No harm there, I got a decent chuckle out of it actually.

At most I thought you might have been asking whether it was a style issue for me but otherwise I just figured it was a chance to toss out a column that most of us missed the first time around.

Exactly. Wasn't worth it's own thread when it was published.

And it's a slow night -- listening to the Nationals blow a winnable game against the Yankees and not really being motivated to do anything productive.

I actually had a momentary image of hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts for the radio sales guy!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I actually had a momentary image of hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts for the radio sales guy!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #87
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

That guy is an idiot.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #88
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That guy is an idiot.

Yeah, I don't wear jeans but ripping on Seinfeld and people who play video games? Someone should stab the bastard.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #89
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Yeah, I don't wear jeans but ripping on Seinfeld and people who play video games? Someone should stab the bastard.

I wear jeans all the time, you want to know why? Because they are comfortable. Just because Fred Astaire wouldn't wear them 60 years ago doesn't mean I shouldn't now.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #90
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Nice, JiMGA

Old 06-17-2009, 07:12 AM   #91
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wear jeans all the time, you want to know why? Because they are comfortable. Just because Fred Astaire wouldn't wear them 60 years ago doesn't mean I shouldn't now.

Same here. I generally work from home, so usually while working I'll actually wear sweat shorts or khaki shorts around the home. When I do go in to work, or really go almost anywhere I wear Jeans and some form of decent looking shirt. I even wear Jeans to church with a button up shirt.

I find jeans more comfortable, and they are easier for me to look good in. Considering I never iron anything, almost all of my dress slacks look like they have been under my bed for the last decade getting wrinkled when I put them on.

Pretty much the only time I actually wear slacks is when there is some formal occasion that i have to wear something other than blue jeans.

As for the previous conversation, yes I think almost all of my jeans I own either come from the Gap or Old Navy, so I don't really spend a ton on clothes either way

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM   #92
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I think some of it is psychological (ie. you think the brand is better so you feel it looks better when you wear it).

Some of it is also probably higher quality control and suchlike when they run the lines for 'brand' jeans.

I used to work in a canning factory in England while I was a student - it used to basically do the tinned food for supermarkets, ie. massive machinery with lots of say carrots passing people by and ending up in tins.

The difference between the branded and non-branded food was simply the quality control put in place (ie. for Heinz things were dumped if there were any issues at all, supermarket brands they weren't) and in some cases the mixture for the sauces (same basis just thinner or thicker and hence cheaper or more expensive).

For Jeans I'd expect the same pretty much - for cheaper supermarket jeans the emphasis will be on bulk production, so there will be more variance in 'fit', whereas for higher name brand the emphasis will be more on it being 'right' ..... still made of exactly the same stuff though
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #93
Galaxy
Coordinator

Do you really have different denim fabrics? I know cotton does and you can tell the difference (both in type and thread count).
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote