Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #51
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
She fucked up. She got tasered. She lived & doubtless hopes to find a civil jury packed with useful idiots to reward her for her absurd behavior. And given the shitty state of common sense in this country, the odds are strongly in her favor.

She will end up likely convicted of the speeding offense, and the resisting arrest charge may not stick (although I would not rule that out myself with the video evidence). You have little confidence in humanity and are quite proud of it, for some reason.

Quote:
The reality that if she simply obeyed the law in the first place none of this would have happened, nor if she hadn't made a continuing series of escalating errors this wouldn't have happened matters not to some folks.

No question there. If you've ever had just one traffic citation for anything, you've got one more than I have ever had. I'm not talking about the past 7 years, or the past 10. I am talking about for the entire duration that I have had my license to drive. I hope you've got the same record, given your stance on it.

Quote:
I'm not sure what level of stupid you have to be not to realize that if you exit your vehicle during a traffic stop except when instructed that nothing good is going to come of it. They say you can't fix stupid which is probably true but it sure as hell doesn't deserve to be rewarded or defended either.

The officer opened the door himself, Jon. Have you even seen the video that you are discussing in here? We may not be able to fix stupid, but we might have a chance to fix ignorance.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-11-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #52
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Wait.

I disagree with Jon on a TON of stuff. But I don't think the Left is any less close to what you describe, and I actually find them closer since they don't want to empower the people, they want to assimilate them into a "greater" society.

Shit. Why did I do that?

I don't consider myself to be "on the left." I'm just not in favor of this.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #53
RainMaker
General Manager

Jon is right. I mean this 72-year old woman could have been a ninja and struck the officer with a death blow to the throat. I would call for the officer to receive a medal honoring his bravery in putting his life on the line to apprehend this most dangerous suspect without the use of the local SWAT unit.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #54
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
There's a better chance of significant permanent injury from the stick, so I'm not exactly sure grammy would agree to that trade.

Is there? How many people have died from a blow to the leg designed to allow you to cuff the belligerent individual (especially a 72 year old woman)? Now how many do we know have died from being tasered? I suspect more people have died from being tasered this year alone than have ever died from a blow to the leg.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #55
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am really sick of bleeding hearts like Tek saying the officer used unneeded force.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. The incident never would have happened if the woman wasn't an idiot and just obeyed the law. But that just gets glossed over because it is a poor old lady that got tazed. God forbid we put blame on her for the situation being escalated to where it did based on her actions and instead blame tho cop who acted 100% within protocol.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 AM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
The officer opened the door himself, Jon. Have you even seen the video that you are discussing in here? We may not be able to fix stupid, but we might have a chance to fix ignorance.

The video matters not one iota to me. What matters (and doesn't appear to be in dispute by anyone as far as I can tell) is that she decided it was a good idea to start cursing a cop during a traffic stop & to resist arrest. At that point he's pretty much golden as long as he stays within the force chart.

As for my traffic record, two tickets at ages 16 & 18. Littering (short funny story that I ought to tell here sometime actually if I haven't already) and speeding. Of course, even at that 10 feet tall & bulletproof age in life, I had enough sense to take what I had coming instead of arguing with the officer who was correct in both cases. Even young & dumb I wasn't that stupid.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #57
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yep. And they're often trained to use the taser as the next line of response beyond verbal command. As was discussed in the other thread last week, it often comes before making physical contact.

So it is the training that is lacking. Any procedure that is built on the escalation of violence is a poor one, considering that traffic cops are far more likely to need training on effective communication/negotiation techniques.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:30 AM   #58
Schmidty
Coordinator

This just in:

No one will win this argument.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I am really sick of bleeding hearts like Tek saying the officer used unneeded force.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. The incident never would have happened if the woman wasn't an idiot and just obeyed the law. But that just gets glossed over because it is a poor old lady that got tazed. God forbid we put blame on her for the situation being escalated to where it did based on her actions and instead blame tho cop who acted 100% within protocol.

I agree man. These liberal pussies who want a court of law to determine punishment for broken laws is getting out of hand. Punishments should be handed out on the spot by sadistic junior college dropouts who are compensating for their failures in life.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #60
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
This just in:

I don't know...lighthousekeeper put up a good argument with his picture.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
considering that traffic cops are far more likely to need training on effective communication/negotiation techniques.

I'd say the officer in question here ultimately communicated his position extremely effectively.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #62
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

No. Did I ever say speeding was ok in this thread? Did I ever say she was a completely innocent victim? If you think I did, you might want to look again.

Like I said before, if it is policy/procedure to use a taser in this incident, there should be a review on when those should be employed. I have no problem with a real criminal having a taser used on them when they are not otherwise complying. I believe in maintaining some perspective. If the only thing getting a person arrested is the refusal to sign the ticket (which is the case in this situation), there is no need to up the ante. Merely wanting to assert dominance does not convince me, even if their procedure says it is. There has been, currently is, and will continue to be bad policy and bad procedures out there. The solution is to revise them, not pretend like they are etched in stone and are always correct. If he was within procedure, then we cannot really blame him as a person. We can blame those who created the procedure, though.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I agree man. These liberal pussies who want a court of law to determine punishment for broken laws is getting out of hand. Punishments should be handed out on the spot by sadistic junior college dropouts who are compensating for their failures in life.

amen
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM   #64
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No. Did I ever say speeding was ok in this thread? Did I ever say she was a completely innocent victim? If you think I did, you might want to look again.

Like I said before, if it is policy/procedure to use a taser in this incident, there should be a review on when those should be employed. I have no problem with a real criminal having a taser used on them when they are not otherwise complying. I believe in maintaining some perspective. If the only thing getting a person arrested is the refusal to sign the ticket (which is the case in this situation), there is no need to up the ante. Merely wanting to assert dominance does not convince me, even if their procedure says it is. There has been, currently is, and will continue to be bad policy and bad procedures out there. The solution is to revise them, not pretend like they are etched in stone and are always correct. If he was within procedure, then we cannot really blame him as a person. We can blame those who created the procedure, though.

Define a real criminal?

And he has been cleared of any wrong doing by his superiors.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #65
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I'd say the officer in question here ultimately communicated his position extremely effectively.

No. He failed miserably. Resorting to the use of a taser that quickly shows he put little effort into a peaceful resolution. I would hate to be the hostage if they sent that guy out to negotiate with the abductor. Two people will likely be leaving in body bags with that sorta technique.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #66
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Define a real criminal?

And he has been cleared of any wrong doing by his superiors.

A situation where there is a victim. She was not being arrested for speeding. She was being arrested for failing to sign the ticket. Tell me who the victim was, please.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No. He failed miserably. Resorting to the use of a taser that quickly shows he put little effort into a peaceful resolution. I would hate to be the hostage if they sent that guy out to negotiate with the abductor. Two people will likely be leaving in body bags with that sorta technique.

seriously?

did you watch the video?

How many times does he need to tell her he is going to use it?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
A situation where there is a victim. She was not being arrested for speeding. She was being arrested for failing to sign the ticket. Tell me who the victim was, please.

oh, ok.

So if I rob someone who has insurance I guess there is no victim, since the person I robbed will get compensated, so I guess I'm not a criminal.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #69
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Failure to sign a ticket is a precursor to more serious crimes like driving with a broken taillight and failure to fasten a seat belt properly.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #70
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
oh, ok.

So if I rob someone who has insurance I guess there is no victim, since the person I robbed will get compensated, so I guess I'm not a criminal.
The insurance company is the victim in that case.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #71
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
seriously?

did you watch the video?

How many times does he need to tell her he is going to use it?

How much posturing did he really need to do? He could have already had her cuffed during that time. The pretense for opening the door and asking her to get out was to make the arrest, although he did not seem too interested in getting her cuffed and into his vehicle. If you're not prepared to make the arrest quickly, why even ask her out of the vehicle when she is clearly not in a rational state of mind? Anybody who dares you to tase them is not thinking rationally, which showed it was going downhill. Rather unfortunate for both of them that he was not able to recognize that and work that into his plan (if he had one).

My best friend was a SP in the USAF. He could have had that woman cuffed before she finished her line about pushing a 72 year old woman. No taser involved, and nobody hurt. I've seen him cuff men much larger and stronger than him without having to escalate it, because he was trained on how to do it quickly.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #72
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No, she was being arrested for failing to obey legitimate instructions from a police officer. Best I can tell from Googling, the law there involves a trip to jail if you refuse to sign the ticket (which is not an admission of guilt, only a promise to appear).

Beize told her she was going to be arrested for refusing to promise to appear by signing the top of the citation, the report says.

At that point, Winkfein got out of the truck and began to yell profanities at Beize, an arrest affidavit says.

She yelled at Beize to give her the citation and said she would sign it but was not following commands, the report says. Beize said Winkfein tried to take his ticket book away, telling Beize to Tase her or take her to jail, according to the affidavit. As Beize was trying to arrest her, she tried to get back in her truck, the affidavit says.

Sgt. Maj. Gary Griffin of the constable's office said Winkfein was belligerent, pushed Beize into oncoming traffic and nearly stepped into it herself. "She was using language I wouldn't expect any woman to use, let alone a 72-year-old woman," Griffin said.

She continued to not listen to Beize's demands and was Tased, the incident report says. She was Tased again after not staying on the ground, as commanded, according to the report.

Tasing of 72-year-old woman was appropriate, officials say
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #73
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
oh, ok.

No, there is a victim. Who did she steal from?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, there is a victim. Who did she steal from?

The local public, by failing to obey not one law but several laws.

And from the broader public by reminding us of the sorry state of affairs that we've reached in this country when there are people who will actually attempt to defend her stupidity.

edit to add: And me personally, of another shred of my dwindling will to live, by reminding me yet again of the above.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 06-11-2009 at 12:53 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:52 AM   #75
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #76
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

and a rebuttal:
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm glad it happened, these blue hairs need to be stopped. I am tired of them driving with their blinkers on.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #78
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 AM   #79
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
No, she was being arrested for failing to obey legitimate instructions from a police officer. Best I can tell from Googling, the law there involves a trip to jail if you refuse to sign the ticket (which is not an admission of guilt, only a promise to appear).

Yes, which I already stated earlier.

The statement from the officer is just preparation for the prosecution case. Watching the video, it is clear that he slants the statements in a way to help their side and is not close to impartial (nor is it supposed to be). They work for the prosecution, not the individual. By the video, he had enough time to cuff her when he was walking behind her. He didn't do it. They spent 10 seconds in such close proximity that he could have cuffed her, instead he pushes her (supposedly to get away from traffic) and drops to her level by yelling back at her. He proceeds to calmly stand there, listening to her ramble some more about her age (not once attempting to arrest her). At the end of her sentence, he proclaims, "Step back or I am going to tase you." It just spirals from there. I see more than 30 or 45 seconds where he could have taken control of the situation and had her cuffed. Instead, he meanders around the issue, and keeps talking about using the taser. Instead of pushing her back, on a few occasions, he could have turned her and cuffed her. He is severely lacking in the ability to control a confrontation. She is guilty of the charges she is facing based on the evidence I have seen, but this officer is woefully qualified for the job he has.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-11-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #80
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The local public, by failing to obey not one law but several laws.

And from the broader public by reminding us of the sorry state of affairs that we've reached in this country when there are people who will actually attempt to defend her stupidity.

edit to add: And me personally, of another shred of my dwindling will to live, by reminding me yet again of the above.

You continue to be so way off-base. I have not defended her. I have even said I expect her to be found guilty by a jury, which even you have no confidence of. You just cannot fathom that she could be wrong and the officer could be wrong at the same time.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 AM   #81
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #82
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I will never agree that the police are always right. Never. History indicates that such trust is misplaced and naive.

While I understand that police officers need to be trained on how to effectively use the guns, tasers, etc, at their disposal, they also need to be trained in how to handle confrontation, communicate and negotiate effectively, and maintain proper situational perspective/awareness. Being adept at the mental and psychological side of the game could prevent the deployal of the other tools. A traffic cop is far more likely to need the psychological ammo than the gun ammo, if you will. A better communicator might have never needed to open the door. A better planner would not have asked her out of the vehicle without already being prepared to lock the cuffs on her. This guy needs to get his head in the game.

I will retract some statements I made that were neither appropriate or relevant to the discussion, which reflected on JonInMiddleGA negatively and should never had typed into the keyboard (especially since I don't really believe it). Sorry that I let it go there.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-11-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:24 AM   #83
Groundhog
Coordinator

This thread may well mark the very first time I've ever agreed with Jon.

When I first saw the headline, I was outraged. When I watched the video, not so much. He warned her how many times before he did it? You can't expect to just be able to do or say whatever you want because you're frail, she even kept saying that to him "what are you going to do, taze a 72 year old?". When a cop tells you to stand down and do as you're told, you do it (within reason, of course, which in this situation was certainly the case).

Cops shouldn't be like those parents that keep telling you they'll send you to your room, or take away your playstation, before caving in and never doing it. You should respect their authority. This woman was not only not respecting his authority, she was openly challenging it thinking that she could get away with it by playing the elderly card.

I would never dream of acting that way towards a cop, because as a normal sane person I'd be aware of what might happen to me if I did, and it would probably play out a lot worse than it did with this lady, even if I were a fraction as aggressive as she was towards him.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #84
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
When I first saw the headline, I was outraged. When I watched the video, not so much. He warned her how many times before he did it? You can't expect to just be able to do or say whatever you want because you're frail, she even kept saying that to him "what are you going to do, taze a 72 year old?". When a cop tells you to stand down and do as you're told, you do it (within reason, of course, which in this situation was certainly the case).

When watching the video, you did not see many opportunities for the officer to regain control of the situation before deploying the taser? You did not see plenty of time and opportunity for cuffs to be placed on her, which was not done? I saw an officer that very much appeared to be in over his head dealing with this woman.

Quote:
You should respect their authority. This woman was not only not respecting his authority, she was openly challenging it thinking that she could get away with it by playing the elderly card.

I don't think she was playing any card. I think it was a woman who was angry/upset and was no longer thinking/acting rationally. I may be giving her a little credit, but I don't know anything else about her and unlikely that the officer did either. I do question the "respect their authority" line. Could you explain to me what that means?

Quote:
I would never dream of acting that way towards a cop, because as a normal sane person I'd be aware of what might happen to me if I did, and it would probably play out a lot worse than it did with this lady, even if I were a fraction as aggressive as she was towards him.

Indeed. You touched on something I consider a very important point. The bit about being a "normal sane person." I think she checked out of that "normal sane person" range of behavior around the time she refused to sign the ticket. She didn't demonstrate to me that she was thinking clearly at all. If her ultimate motive was to get away with her dastardly deed, why even get out of the truck? She had no master plan. She was in a bad emotional state and he kept feeding it, as he was also in over his head and had not thought out his arrest plan before he started stumbling through it.

Last edited by Tekneek : 06-11-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #85
RainMaker
General Manager

The old lady is a fucking idiot. I don't think anyone here is really denying that. My guess is that she probably suffers from some mental issues or her age has not been kind to her mindset. In any case, it's not typical behaivor from a 72-year old woman. The officer should have noticed this and tried to difuse the situation in a more peaceful manner (even if it means taking an ego hit). The lady was not a threat to him and a taser is not safe on a woman that age.

But what I don't get is some of your low standards for cops. These guys are supposed to be protecting and serving and you're celebrating Paul Blart tazering an elderly woman. Maybe you want juco dropouts playing tough guy cop, but I'd prefer to see the standards here raised a bit. How about bringing in some intelligent people who can difuse situations competently? If you're a grown man who needs a tazer to handle a 72-year old woman, it's time to hang up the badge and start flipping burgers.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #86
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Indeed. You touched on something I consider a very important point. The bit about being a "normal sane person." I think she checked out of that "normal sane person" range of behavior around the time she refused to sign the ticket. She didn't demonstrate to me that she was thinking clearly at all. If her ultimate motive was to get away with her dastardly deed, why even get out of the truck? She had no master plan. She was in a bad emotional state and he kept feeding it, as he was also in over his head and had not thought out his arrest plan before he started stumbling through it.

Yes, that is an important point. Quite often when someone commits a crime, they are not in their normal sane state. This does not excuse her behavior in any way shape or form. The cop's actions may not have been perfect, but the lady is 100% responsible for what happened to her. Doing something when you're in an overemotional state does not change that.

Last edited by Danny : 06-11-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #87
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The officer should have noticed this and tried to difuse the situation in a more peaceful manner (even if it means taking an ego hit). The lady was not a threat to him and a taser is not safe on a woman that age.

How about bringing in some intelligent people who can difuse situations competently? If you're a grown man who needs a tazer to handle a 72-year old woman, it's time to hang up the badge and start flipping burgers.

The officer was obviously trained on, and comfortable with, the taser. Unfortunately, he didn't display the same sort of comfort or skill level at assessing, understanding, and effectively responding to the mental state of the person he was dealing with. He also displayed no ability to think ahead, as he appeared to have no plan, and stumbled about in his supposed attempt to arrest her. You can bet that if I am planning to arrest you, I would have locked them on you within a second or two upon exiting the vehicle. He Barney Fifed through his best arrest opportunities.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #88
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
When watching the video, you did not see many opportunities for the officer to regain control of the situation before deploying the taser? You did not see plenty of time and opportunity for cuffs to be placed on her, which was not done? I saw an officer that very much appeared to be in over his head dealing with this woman.

Was he over his head? Maybe. He's a human being. You don't expect to confront a situation like this, with some old woman being aggressive towards you and challenging your authority like that.

Could he have cuffed her before that? Probably. I don't think he imagined it would get to the point it did.

Quote:
I don't think she was playing any card. I think it was a woman who was angry/upset and was no longer thinking/acting rationally. I may be giving her a little credit, but I don't know anything else about her and unlikely that the officer did either. I do question the "respect their authority" line. Could you explain to me what that means?

It means that it's a cop. They have powers that you and I don't for a reason, and they are doing their jobs. You do something wrong and a cop shows up, you need to respect the authority they have, or else you can expect to get yourself in trouble.

Quote:
Indeed. You touched on something I consider a very important point. The bit about being a "normal sane person." I think she checked out of that "normal sane person" range of behavior around the time she refused to sign the ticket.

I bet she's not the first person to not sign a ticket, and I don't think that means she isn't a normal sane person. It could just mean she's an ass, like most of the other people that do the same thing.

Quote:
She didn't demonstrate to me that she was thinking clearly at all. If her ultimate motive was to get away with her dastardly deed, why even get out of the truck? She had no master plan. She was in a bad emotional state and he kept feeding it, as he was also in over his head and had not thought out his arrest plan before he started stumbling through it.

What's the cop supposed to do, perform a psychological evaluation on her on the spot and try and determine if she's a crook or just has had a bad week? That's not practical, and not the role of the officer anyhow. If she's that bad, why is she out driving anyway?

The cop did what he felt was right at the time. Maybe he could have handled it differently, especially if he had the same time to think about it as we have had to discuss it. But that wasn't the case.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #89
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Yes, that is an important point. Quite often when someone commits a crime, they are not in their normal sane state. This does not excuse her behavior in any way shape or form. The cop's actions may not have been perfect, but the lady is 100% responsible for what happened to her. Doing something you're in an overemotional state does not change that.

Where there is doubt, the trained professional is the one that needs to be calm, collected, and focused. I didn't get that impression from the officer. When presented with a grandma that was out of sorts, he let her drive the encounter to the point where he must have truly believed he no longer had any other option besides using the taser on her. I guess I just expect a more cerebral approach/tactical mind from someone that may have the authority to deprive me of property, liberty, and even my life at any given moment.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:36 AM   #90
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Was he over his head? Maybe. He's a human being. You don't expect to confront a situation like this, with some old woman being aggressive towards you and challenging your authority like that.

Are you saying the extent of their training and planning is for people who simply do as they told? Does that even require training? Your training and planning is for when things don't go by the book. I cannot imagine why you would ask someone to get out of a vehicle, for the express purpose of arresting them, and not be prepared to lock the cuffs on them immediately. I further do not understand why so many look beyond this. Keep in mind, he ASKED her to get out. He OPENED the door himself. I don't know what he had on his mind, but it seems rather clear that cuffing her was not next on his list. He walked behind her to the rear of the vehicle, then yelled at her, and then stood next to her as she rambled about her age. Crucial arrest time lost, apparently because he had no plan. He was not prepared for a traffic stop to go badly. Thank goodness this was just an old lady and not a real bad guy.

Quote:
Could he have cuffed her before that? Probably. I don't think he imagined it would get to the point it did.

He should not have to imagine it. The training should take over. He claims he told her to get out so he could arrest her. If you want to arrest someone, wouldn't you want to cuff them immediately to maintain control? You can always remove the cuffs once they are placed into the backseat, if you find them to be cooperative.

Quote:
It means that it's a cop. They have powers that you and I don't for a reason, and they are doing their jobs. You do something wrong and a cop shows up, you need to respect the authority they have, or else you can expect to get yourself in trouble.

I hope you are not saying that everyone must do everything a cop asks them to do, right? Because that would be really bad advice. Cops routinely ask for things that you are not required to either do or tell them, and they are not required to warn you that you have the right to decline.

Quote:
I bet she's not the first person to not sign a ticket, and I don't think that means she isn't a normal sane person. It could just mean she's an ass, like most of the other people that do the same thing.

Probably not.

Quote:
What's the cop supposed to do, perform a psychological evaluation on her on the spot and try and determine if she's a crook or just has had a bad week? That's not practical, and not the role of the officer anyhow. If she's that bad, why is she out driving anyway?

On the contrary, the role of a police officer is very much to assess the situation. We're depending on them to be able to determine what is a big deal and what is not. We need people in these roles who understand other humans. If people always knew when they were about to have those moments, it wouldn't be a problem, would it? That's kind of a goofy question. It is no more relevant than suggesting that somebody who gets ran over by a truck shouldn't have gone out that day. They obviously did not know it was going to happen.

Quote:
The cop did what he felt was right at the time. Maybe he could have handled it differently, especially if he had the same time to think about it as we have had to discuss it. But that wasn't the case.

Maybe? I suppose it is possible that his approach to arresting her was textbook, but I think it is improbable. He tells her to get out, but makes no motion to cuff her. He then yells at her. He then desperately wants her to stand behind her truck, such that he threatens to use the taser if she doesn't move over there. He refuses to let her sign the ticket at some point, although she offers to do so (a possible non-taser exit point that he refuses out of pride/petulance). He does such a poor job (as the lone trained professional on the scene) handling the situation, that she begins to attempt to get back in her truck. Now his 'get out of this truck so I can arrest you' has turned into a circus back there and has him now backed into the "I am going to taser you" corner.

I'm not claiming she is innocent. I am not claiming anything she did is right. I am saying that I find the actions of the only trained professional there to be inadequate, inappropriate, and dangerous (especially considering that this was merely a traffic stop and she was not wanted for any other criminal activity).
Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 AM   #91
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Did she become incontinent while being tasered?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
This just in:

What about the terrorists?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #93
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My guess is that she probably suffers from some mental issues or her age has not been kind to her mindset. In any case, it's not typical behaivor from a 72-year old woman. The officer should have noticed this and tried to difuse the situation in a more peaceful manner (even if it means taking an ego hit). The lady was not a threat to him and a taser is not safe on a woman that age.

This. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that she has had a stroke or similar event in the past that has caused some frontal lobe damage resulting in loosened inhibitions. I think a reasonable officer should realize that 1) he can de-esclate the situation in another manner and 2) A taser to a 72 year old woman is much more potentially dangerous than to a younger person.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #94
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

This seems like a win that people on both sides of the fence should be should be happy about. The lady was not injured, the cop was not injured, and the arrest was made.

I think the biggest mistake in the whole thing is having a law requiring people to sign traffic tickets. Many jurisdictions don't require this.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #95
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

How about the cop taking responsibility for his failure to use discipline & common sense. Cops deal with assholes everyday, they should be better at dealing with them than the rest of us.

Had he fired his weapon, would any of you supporting the officer argue that he was just following protocol? If not, why?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #96
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
This thread may well mark the very first time I've ever agreed with Jon.

Cops shouldn't be like those parents that keep telling you they'll send you to your room, or take away your playstation, before caving in and never doing it. You should respect their authority. This woman was not only not respecting his authority, she was openly challenging it thinking that she could get away with it by playing the elderly card.

Again here, if the cop had shot the woman (as opposed to merely tasering her) would you feel/argue differently?
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #97
Subby
lolzcat

Tasering uppity rednecks is never wrong.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #98
Captain2711
High School JV

I'm old and confused
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #99
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

We need to have a "The OFFICIAL Tasering Thread" so we can stop with all these new ones every time some yokel with half a brain decides to start back-talkin' the po-po.

Then the mods can lock it at the bottom of the first page of posts, sticky it, and then every time a new fool gets tasered on film the interested parties can just re-read the thread top-to-bottom to get their fill of "should he or shouldn't have he" retardo-scussion.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #100
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Since some of you think police are shit, why don't you become police officers yourself?
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Last edited by Mustang : 06-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote