Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2007, 01:14 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Honestly I get 80% of news from FOFC. The other 20% is from coworkers. I get everything important so I don't even bother with news sites, newspapers or news on television.

(Maybe I should've put a 10% for sports news on ESPN )

Well, that just proves my point even more. You expect to get news from this place. So why would we put spoilers on any of it?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #52
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Like I said above, I don't have a problem with keeping certain information secret - in fact, most people have appreciated the way I've handled spoiler info in the AI thread - but here, it makes no sense. To me, there's a difference between giving away the ending of a new movie that even the critics purposely avoid doing, and reporting a "news item" (whether or not it rightfully should be considered one) that is all over the internet.

So basically if you know about something from the news, you assume that everyone else knows and it is ok to talk about. You don't care that someone may have just bought the comic and hasn't had a chance to read it yet? You don't care that some people impose their own media blackout for certain things?

I never watched any news between the time a new Star Wars movie came out and the time I had a chance to see it. If I miss the Survivor finale but have it recorded, I'll avoid the news so I don't know who won until I see it. If I have to miss the Super Bowl, I'll avoid the news until I can watch the recording.

I'm sure you have noticed that most news outlets have an "Entertainment News" section. Lots of things are spoiled there every day. They give away endings to movies, books, and TV shows.

The question is, do you NEED to be right about this, or would you rather keep the general FOFC population happy and allow a spoiler tag to exist?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #53
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, that just proves my point even more. You expect to get news from this place. So why would we put spoilers on any of it?

He probably expects the delivery of news around here to be handled more appropriately.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #54
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Because let's say he's a Captain America reader...

He'd see that, see it's a spoiler, and avoid that thread until he read it - just like I do with AI, Heroes, etc. when I watch them on Tivo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #55
Ksyrup

Again, I see this particular issue as in the gray area - it's certainly akin to a movie/show/book spoiler and should normally be handled as such. Just look at the AI thread where I heavily participate and take great pains to avoid giving spoiler info. But the difference is, I'm not equating this particular bit of news to a movie/show/book review/discussion, because it has, in and of itself, become a news item that is out there, in as plain a text as could possible be written, for everyone to see.

And to answer the question above, if it's a news item, I don't expect everyone to know about it - but it's news, meant to be shared. I didn't see anyone post about the Libby Conviction with a SPOILER ALERT in case there were people who wanted to find out about it on their own terms. Likewise, with sporting events, I'm sorry, but they're fair game as well. It's news.

I hate to keep repeating myself, but again - I understand the point about this normally not being a typical news story. But it is. Superman's death was handled the same way. As a news story, it is entitled to be disseminated and discussed without being purposely kept under wraps.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #56
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
He'd see that, see it's a spoiler, and avoid that thread until he read it - just like I do with AI, Heroes, etc. when I watch them on Tivo.

Would have been kind of hard to avoid on ajc.com, with prominently displayed link text in the first screen right frame (i.e. you don't even have to scroll down, it's just sitting there just below Rosie's depression & above Jenna Bush's book.

"Comic Book Hero Captain America Dies'

Now that's a spoiler.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #57
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
He probably expects the delivery of news around here to be handled more appropriately.

You are correct. I hold FOFC to a higher standard than CNN. I think people here know the difference between real life and a comic book as far as breaking news goes.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #58
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Would have been kind of hard to avoid on ajc.com, with prominently displayed link text in the first screen right frame (i.e. you don't even have to scroll down, it's just sitting there just below Rosie's depression & above Jenna Bush's book.

"Comic Book Hero Captain America Dies'

Now that's a spoiler.

To be fair, before you mentioned it I had no clue what ajc.com was. Not everyone on this board visits the same web sites. And to be truthful, I probably would not have even known about this "news" item had it not been brought up here.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #59
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

So that the reader can decide whether or not he or she wants to know the info at this time? FWIW, I'm in the same boat as these guys -- I would have had no idea about this, if not for FOFC. I don't read Captain America or anything, so it's not like I need to be spoiler-free on this matter. But I do tape football games, so I appreciate people who don't want things given away. When I don't want to be spoiled from football games, I stay away from FOFC -- much like someone who doesn't want to be spoiled from Captain America plots would stay away from threads marked Captain America -- SPOILER ALERT. Seems like a pretty simple system.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #60
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

This isn't a spoiler. Marvel likely pushed that news item out to all the media outlets it could in order to advertise it. It's an "event" issue, it's aimed at getting attention.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #61
Ksyrup

We put spoiler alerts on our discussion of sporting events?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #62
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
This isn't a spoiler. Marvel likely pushed that news item out to all the media outlets it could in order to advertise it. It's an "event" issue, it's aimed at getting attention.

Exactly. And the news organizations were more than happy to oblige.

Except the AP. I understand they're trying out a one-week Captain America news blackout, but they'll tell us more about that next week.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #63
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Again, I see this particular issue as in the gray area - it's certainly akin to a movie/show/book spoiler and should normally be handled as such. Just look at the AI thread where I heavily participate and take great pains to avoid giving spoiler info. But the difference is, I'm not equating this particular bit of news to a movie/show/book review/discussion, because it has, in and of itself, become a news item that is out there, in as plain a text as could possible be written, for everyone to see.

And to answer the question above, if it's a news item, I don't expect everyone to know about it - but it's news, meant to be shared. I didn't see anyone post about the Libby Conviction with a SPOILER ALERT in case there were people who wanted to find out about it on their own terms. Likewise, with sporting events, I'm sorry, but they're fair game as well. It's news.

I hate to keep repeating myself, but again - I understand the point about this normally not being a typical news story. But it is. Superman's death was handled the same way. As a news story, it is entitled to be disseminated and discussed without being purposely kept under wraps.

So share the news but put a spoiler tag in the headline. I don't read comics, but if I saw a posting about Captain America, I'll check it out. You don't see that topic everyday around here. Discussion can then be had. You don't need an overly specific title.

The point isn't whether people should be upset to see that kind of headline, the point is whether people will be upset. You know how people are around here about spoilers so assume people will be overly sensitive to them and err on the side of caution.

Does it really surprise you that people have this reaction? You have over 18,000 posts here so I am assuming that you do occasionally read some as well, right?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 PM   #64
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

No, because there is an expectation there.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 PM   #65
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I want to hear from the people that read Cap America regularly and were potentially offened by knowing this plot line.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #66
MikeVic
Head Coach

I didn't know it was an actual news item. That's dumb. I read New Avengers, but am a couple issues behind... Captain America is still alive in those. So to me, this is a spoiler... I don't go to cnn.com or anywhere like that very often. But if I had seen the spoiler there, I'd be annoyed with the news source too.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #67
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I didn't know it was an actual news item. That's dumb. I read New Avengers, but am a couple issues behind... Captain America is still alive in those. So to me, this is a spoiler... I don't go to cnn.com or anywhere like that very often. But if I had seen the spoiler there, I'd be annoyed with the news source too.

I think that's part of the problem here. I have a problem with CNN doing this too, but they're money grubbing whores so I can't hold them accountable - I can try to make things more responsible around here.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #68
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
This isn't a spoiler. Marvel likely pushed that news item out to all the media outlets it could in order to advertise it. It's an "event" issue, it's aimed at getting attention from people that do not read the title.

Corrected.

Quote:

You and I both know that is a totally different situation.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #69
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same here.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #70
Ksyrup

Quote:
So share the news but put a spoiler tag in the headline. I don't read comics, but if I saw a posting about Captain America, I'll check it out. You don't see that topic everyday around here. Discussion can then be had. You don't need an overly specific title.

The point isn't whether people should be upset to see that kind of headline, the point is whether people will be upset. You know how people are around here about spoilers so assume people will be overly sensitive to them and err on the side of caution.

Does it really surprise you that people have this reaction? You have over 18,000 posts here so I am assuming that you do occasionally read some as well, right?

Had I come across an unofficial discussion of this and wanted to discuss it here, I almost certainly would have put a spoiler alert in the title. I didn't make the original post, but I saw the article earlier on CNN and wouldn't have thought twice about posting it as a news items, given how it was presented. To me, this particular story - not movie/show/book plotlines in general - is similar to a sports score. I wouldn't think to hide it because it's out there for everyone to find out. This went from spoiler to news when you could simply google the damn character's name and come up with dozens of articles explicitly describing this "news."
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #71
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We don't, but we headline them in a way that makes it clear we are talking about them. If we have a "Super Bowl Discussion" thread, it is pretty clear that we are talking about the game in progress.

I personally don't care if we put the word "spoiler" in a thread title, but I'd like to be able to figure out what threads to stay away from if I don't want a spoiler. A thread titled "Survivor Winner" is one I would stay away from until seeing the last show. A thread titled "Holy Crap, Susan Smith Won Survivor!!!" would annoy me just a bit.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #72
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Had I come across an unofficial discussion of this and wanted to discuss it here, I almost certainly would have put a spoiler alert in the title. I didn't make the original post, but I saw the article earlier on CNN and wouldn't have thought twice about posting it as a news items, given how it was presented. To me, this particular story - not movie/show/book plotlines in general - is similar to a sports score. I wouldn't think to hide it because it's out there for everyone to find out. This went from spoiler to news when you could simply google the damn character's name and come up with dozens of articles explicitly describing this "news."

But again - many of us it seems - would not have known about this if not for this thread.

Face it - this is a story/plotline that someone is trying to make into a news story, no reason we have to do it here.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #73
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:

What if there's a sporting event that occurs at 3am wherever you live... and you know it'll be shown the next day at noon. Would you want to come to FOFC at 11am to see something like: "WOW! Team A beat Team B 120-119 in the third OT!"

I'd like to think that's why title threads like: "NFL Week 11 Discussion." Not only for a thread to store our collective thoughts, but also to avoid spoiling a fresh occurence for others.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #74
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Now that you've seen the reaction, would you still do the same thing?

If you regularly read Captain America, would you Google him after a new issue came out and before you had read it? This would be the exact action people would avoid to be sure they didn't get spoiled. They probably wouldn't know a spoiler event would be in the news, but why even look in that situation?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #75
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I'm not a comic book guy, but I know threads like these have lead to angry masses in the past. I would retitle this thread and add in a spoiler warning incase anyone here happens to read this particular comic book series.
You better tell them not to visit Yahoo.com then since it's on their front page....
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Quote:
What if there's a sporting event that occurs at 3am wherever you live... and you know it'll be shown the next day at noon. Would you want to come to FOFC at 11am to see something like: "WOW! Team A beat Team B 120-119 in the third OT!"

I'd like to think that's why title threads like: "NFL Week 11 Discussion." Not only for a thread to store our collective thoughts, but also to avoid spoiling a fresh occurence for others.

I would absolutely expect to see the score posted here, and I wouldn't care if it was in the thread title because I wouldn't watch it if it wasn't live. In fact, I'd probably stop by ESPN.com on my way here to find out the score before reading the discussion of it here.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #77
rkmsuf
Head Coach

shouldn't the WTF be eliminated from the title? I mean that strongly suggests something odd with Captain America which in and of itself is a spoiler. Regular readers should be given the chance to leave here with the belief that it's status quo.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #78
Ksyrup

Quote:
Now that you've seen the reaction, would you still do the same thing?

If you regularly read Captain America, would you Google him after a new issue came out and before you had read it? This would be the exact action people would avoid to be sure they didn't get spoiled. They probably wouldn't know a spoiler event would be in the news, but why even look in that situation?

I wouldn't think to do anything other than what I was used to doing, that's my point. A regular reader of Captain America who simply goes to AOL.com or Yahoo or CNN or Google has as much chance of running across this item as someone who purposely googles the topic to try to find out spoiler info. That's why this isn't a spoiler!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #79
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
shouldn't the WTF be eliminated from the title? I mean that strongly suggests something odd with Captain America which in and of itself is a spoiler. Regular readers should be given the chance to leave here with the belief that it's status quo.

I think I made that point earlier in the thread.

I mean, if we had a thread up during the Super Bowl titled, "WTF -Chicago Bears SPOILER ALERT," given their underdog status, I would automatically assume they were doing something unexpected, like winning.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #80
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I wouldn't think to do anything other than what I was used to doing, that's my point. A regular reader of Captain America who simply goes to AOL.com or Yahoo or CNN or Google has as much chance of running across this item as someone who purposely googles the topic to try to find out spoiler info. That's why this isn't a spoiler!!!

But my point - many DON'T go to those pages. Just because AOL.com, Yahoo, or CNN could give a fuck about ruining the story, doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

There is not a reasonable expectation that the ending to Captain America is a public news item (and it shouldn't be). This is no different than the ending to any other book, movie, etc - just because Marvel is trying to drum up press to increase sales doesn't make it a news item. This should be treated the same as any other book/story, regardless of the corporate pimping going on at "news" sites.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #81
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
[size=-1]Captain America, who is the alter ego of Steve Rogers was originally created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. He received his special powers from taking a dose

Holy shit, i didn't know Captain Amercia was Steve Rogers, WTF, thanks asshat!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #82
Ksyrup

Quote:
But my point - many DON'T go to those pages. Just because AOL.com, Yahoo, or CNN could give a fuck about ruining the story, doesn't mean that we shouldn't.

There is not a reasonable expectation that the ending to Captain America is a public news item (and it shouldn't be). This is no different than the ending to any other book, movie, etc - just because Marvel is trying to drum up press to increase sales doesn't make it a news item. This should be treated the same as any other book/story, regardless of the corporate pimping going on at "news" sites.

I understand that point and agree to an extent, but I think the idea of having to decipher between news items and spoilers becomes very tricky if you try to look at it like that. My easy way to differentiate is whether it is a news item or not. If it's readily available news, then I have no expectation as a member here that I am going to be shielded from the information. I have no problem with people doing just that - I'm not looking to purposely spill the beans about something - but I don't think it should be an expectation when it's something that's being reported everywhere like this, either. And honestly, the original thread title was miles away from being as explicit about this news as the news headlines are.

The bottom line for me is that while it shouldn't be different from exposing a movie/show/book plot, it is different, in this particular circumstance. Now, it's as much a news item as a plane crash.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:07 PM   #83
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I understand that point and agree to an extent, but I think the idea of having to decipher between news items and spoilers becomes very tricky if you try to look at it like that. My easy way to differentiate is whether it is a news item or not. If it's readily available news, then I have no expectation as a member here that I am going to be shielded from the information. I have no problem with people doing just that - I'm not looking to purposely spill the beans about something - but I don't think it should be an expectation when it's something that's being reported everywhere like this, either. And honestly, the original thread title was miles away from being as explicit about this news as the news headlines are.

The bottom line for me is that while it shouldn't be different from exposing a movie/show/book plot, it is different, in this particular circumstance. Now, it's as much a news item as a plane crash.

I respectfully disagree.

Can we agree that there is a segment of this community that feels the way I do so it makes sense to be considerate and not give spoilers away to fictional stories in thread titles?

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #84
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
WTF? FOFCers arguing over whether or not you can say that Captain America is killed

lol
Old 03-07-2007, 02:10 PM   #85
Subby
lolzcat

" WTF? FOFCers arguing over whether or not you can say that Captain America is killed."

winnah!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #86
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Not to threadjack,

but can you believe that Captain America was killed by a sniper!?!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #87
Mateo
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
I want to hear from the people that read Cap America regularly and were potentially offened by knowing this plot line.

I want to hear about someone who still reads comic books as an adult and admit that they are offended knowing Captain America was rubbed.

WTF? FOFCers arguing over whether or not you can say that Captain America is killed.

wtf? The new title is AWESOME!
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #88
Ksyrup

Someone forgot to remove the WTF from the thread title. Completely gives it away.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #89
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I want to hear about someone who still reads comic books as an adult and admit that they are offended knowing Captain America was rubbed.

WTF? FOFCers arguing over whether or not you can say that Captain America is killed.

wtf? The new title is AWESOME!

What an asshole maneuver.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:13 PM   #90
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
What an asshole maneuver.
I totally agree. Whoever is responsible for that should get BOXED.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #91
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

Hah.

Joking about it in the thread is one thing, actually changing the title is another.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #92
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Hah.

Joking about it in the thread is one thing, actually changing the title is another.
I am totally serious. The person that changed the thread title should get two weeks in the hole.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #93
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Quote:

Seriously...what a prick.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #94
Ksyrup

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.

Can we agree that there is a segment of this community that feels the way I do so it makes sense to be considerate and not give spoilers away to fictional stories in thread titles?

I agree. It's funny, I didn't even post this thread and really, my original thoughts on this were of a more general nature about spoilers, but I still stand by my delineation between news/spoilers and when it is necessary/appropriate to not reveal information in a thread title. But I guess despite my repeated posts in this thread, I'm the anti-spoiler guy who eats babies or something.

Hopefully, this isn't something that happens all that often. But if Monica has triplets next time, I'll be sure to make it a SPOILER ALERT for you and your ilk. How's that?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #95
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I am totally serious. The person that changed the thread title should get two weeks in the hole.

You my friend are an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, shrouded in mystery.

Quote:
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #96
spleen1015
Coordinator

Who knew SackAttack could cause this much trouble?

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-07-2007 at 02:17 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #97
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I admit that I still read comic books as an adult, though I was not offended knowing that Captain America was killed. Then again, if it were a character I followed in a series I still read, yeah, I might be pissed knowing something like that ahead of time.

How's it any different than if, for example, before the first episode of the last season of "24" someone titled a thread "WTF!? President Palmer is killed by a sniper!" Just because it's a comic book instead of a tv show, it's fine?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #98
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

I read comic books as an adult. I'm not offended (I would have read the spoiler thread) because I just can't know what happened, but based on the principle of it. Had this been American Idol, a sporting event, a movie, or a popular novel people would be up in arms. Because Comic Books are largely considered childish people think it doesn't matter.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #99
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
You my friend are an enigma
Hey now. Let's save the race card for when we really need it!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #100
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I agree. It's funny, I didn't even post this thread and really, my original thoughts on this were of a more general nature about spoilers, but I still stand by my delineation between news/spoilers when it is necessary/appropriate to not reveal information in a thread title. But I guess despite my repeated posts in this thread, I'm the anti-spoiler guy who eats babies or something.

Hopefully, this isn't something that happens all that often. But if Monica has triplets next time, I'll be sure to make it a SPOILER ALERT for you and your ilk. How's that?

Monica?

Anyway. I think it's fair that it is assumed that in running Show discussions there will be spoilers after the episode is aired, that in game discussions there will be spoilers as the game airs, and that in book threads there will be spoilers within if the book has been released.

However, none of them have it in the thread title.

Non-Fictional news events are complete fair game to be in the thread title, it's the sporting events and fictional stories that to me should not be in the title - no matter what news agencies are doing. It's such a simple thing to be more generic to be considerate to those that it means something to.

Again, I don't read comics, but it's a principle thing. I know you are good about spoilers, and I've even commented on it in the past in the AI thread. So, this is a philisophical discussion for me to - but in the end I guess my thought is that it does no harm to anyone to avoid the spoilers in the thread title, but it does harm to some to put the spoiler information in the title.

Quote: