Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2005, 09:03 AM   #51
Ramzavail
College Starter

Definitely Gibson's HR off of Eckersley that changed the entire series in 1988.

They are by far the worst hitting WS winning team in the history of baseball. But that HR totally deflated the bash-brothers and Co.

The Scoscia HR against the Mets in the NL Championship that year also deflated the Mets organization for YEARS

Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:29 AM   #52
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Some other quick ones:
- Devon White's leaping catch in the World Series against the Braves, leading to what should have been a triple play when Deion Sanders was tagged out but the ump missed the call.
- Randy Moss doing the no-look over-the-shoulder lateral to Moe Williams last year.
- The end of the Vikings/Packers MNF game a few years back, when an overtime pass was broken up by the CB, hit arms, legs and feet on the way down, but never hit the ground. The WR grabbed it out of the air before it hit the turf and jogged in untouched for the winning score.

Also, a forgotten play, but still one of the most amazing things you'll ever see:

Jays/Mariners, meaningless mid-season game in 1985. Phil Bradley is on second with one out, and Gorman Thomas singles to right. Jesse Barflied fires a strikes to Jays' catcher Buck Martinez, and Bradley tries to run him over. Martinez holds onto the ball to record the out, but his spike catches awkwardly in the dirt and his leg snaps.

Despite a broken leg, Martinez sees Thomas heading for third base and tries to throw him out. His weak throw is off target and goes into left field, so Thomas heads home. George Bell fields the throw, hesitates a moment, then fires a one hop strike to the plate. Martinez, still crumpled over and unable to move, catches the throw as the runner arrives. Thomas, knowing how badly Martinez is hurt, refuses to slide and instead tries to step over him. Martinez reaches up and tags him out -- completing perhaps the only 9-2-7-2 double play in history -- and then passes out from the pain.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-19-2005 at 09:31 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:49 AM   #53
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
[snip]

Martinez reaches up and tags him out -- completing perhaps the only 9-2-7-2 double play in history -- and then passes out from the pain.

You have got to be shitting me. I have never heard about this play before. That sounds incredible. This calls for pictures (of Mrs. Leafs).
Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM   #54
Samdari
Roster Filler

Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool in Fast Times.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #55
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Phoebe Cates getting out of the pool in Fast Times.

mmmmmmm, I have that image now and that fricking song stuck in my head.

What about the 86 World Series and the grounder through Bill Buckners legs. Did someone mention the 1980 US Hockey team? Also, pretty much any play involving Barry Sanders.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #56
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
You have got to be shitting me. I have never heard about this play before.
Here's some links about the play:

According to this page, it was one of only six double plays in baseball history where a catcher recorded both outs.

ESPN apparently named it the greatest play by a catcher in baseball history.

Other notes about the play:
- While Martinez did briefly come back in 1986, the play essentially ended his career.
- Thomas was a friend and former teammate of Martinez. He was criticized in Seattle for not sliding.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #57
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I've seen a lot of game turning/game winning plays, but that doesn't necessarily make them great plays. Meaning although they were very important as far as winning or losing the game, they didn't really impress me. Here are a a few of these types of plays.

* Vick runs for 40+ yards to beat the Vikes in OT...I saw a quarterback running 40 yards practically untouched against a horrible defense that left the entire middle of the field open.

* Owens catches the pass from Young to win the 98 Wildcard game against the Pack...granted I'm a lifelong 49er fan, but this was just your basic 30 yard pass over the middle.

* Bo Jacksons 95 yard TD run...he broke a run open and outran defenders. He didn't really do anything out of the ordinary. If it were from the 30 yard line it wouldn't have looked any different, he just wouldn't have been running for as long.

-

Here are some plays (that I watched on TV) that really stood out. Ones that made you say "wow" after seeing them, because it was obvious that the player had just done something so amazing you had previously thought it to be onpossible.

* Steve Young's scamper to beat the Vikings in 1988...If you saw this play, you need no explanation.

* Barry Sanders run against the Pats in 1994...This is the play where he got the NE defender all turned around, the beginning of the run was impressive as hell also. Typical Barry Sanders moment.

* Music City Miracle...well put above. Definetely one of those "I can't believe what I just saw" moments.

* Roger Craig's run against the Rams in 1988...The guy broke a good half dozen sure tackles on this run. That combined with his exciting high knee style of running makes this one a classic in my book.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:04 AM   #58
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafini

* Rulon Gardner beating Alexander Karelin in the Olympics.

I couldn't imagine that I'd dispute anyone's "great play/moments", but this is one, to me, falls short. I don't take too much away from Gardner, and I was one of the few American sport fans who knew who Karelin was prior to those olympics. To me, Gardner won that match, but he didn't beat Karelin. He got a point awarded to him on a judgement call, and then rolled around on his belly for the remainder of the match preventing Karelin from gaining control of him. It wasn't a measure of wrestling prowess, it was a defensive mindset, and practically a technicality. I'm happy that Gardner won, and as an American, I was proud of the accomplishment(Gold Medal against great odds), but after seeing the event, I consider it almost a guilty pleasure more than a great moment.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #59
3ric
College Starter

Dennis Bergkamp is usually good for a few breathtaking plays. Daedalus probably agrees with me on this one. World Cup 2002. Holland vs Argentina in the quarter final. Frank DeBoer hits a 60-yd cross pass from his defensive position out to the right side of the Argentine penalty area. Bergkamp controls the ball with the tip of his foot, brings it down and cuts inside the defender in one smooth move before shooting past the keeper on a half volley. All done by three touches with his right foot. Unbelievable.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 AM   #60
Tigercat
College Starter

LSU Kentucky, 2002, Blue Grass Miracle

Its up there with Cal and Stanford, last plays so improbable that they interrupted premature victory celebrations. As an LSU student I laughed that day at all the poor UK students who stormed the field in celebration, to the sound of fireworks no less, only to turn around and see that LSU had scored. Ironically enough, a year later I would become a student at UK.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 AM   #61
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The Steve Young play vs. the Vikes is far and away the one that had me saying "Whoa!"

But, from a fan's perspective, Warner's bomb to Bruce in the SB against the Titans is my favorite.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #62
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Gibson's home run in the World Series is my earliest baseball memory.

Francisco Cabrerra/Sid Bream

LSU hail mary against Kentucky

The Saints doing the Cal-Stanford play against I think it was the Jaguars, only to lose the game when Carney misses the extra point. I remember this because I was watching another game on Fox (maybe CBS), it ended and they switched over to extra coverage of the Saints game. Extra coverage indeed.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #63
rafini
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne
I couldn't imagine that I'd dispute anyone's "great play/moments", but this is one, to me, falls short. I don't take too much away from Gardner, and I was one of the few American sport fans who knew who Karelin was prior to those olympics. To me, Gardner won that match, but he didn't beat Karelin. He got a point awarded to him on a judgement call, and then rolled around on his belly for the remainder of the match preventing Karelin from gaining control of him. It wasn't a measure of wrestling prowess, it was a defensive mindset, and practically a technicality. I'm happy that Gardner won, and as an American, I was proud of the accomplishment(Gold Medal against great odds), but after seeing the event, I consider it almost a guilty pleasure more than a great moment.

I view it in terms of the accomplishment. This is an instance, like the boxing matches, where I'm looking at it as watching the final 10 seconds and seeing Gardner accomplish something nobody had been able to do in over a decade against Karelin (I agree that the match was pretty boring when viewed as a whole).
The entire Ali/Foreman fight wasn't a great fight, but those last 10-15 seconds when Ali knocks him out and does something that nobody thought he could do is the same type of thing.
It are those little snapshots that I equate to seeing a great play. But I could be alone in that.
rafini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #64
MrBug708
Head Coach

Come on Mizzou fans, you know you loved the 95 tournament game!

My personal favorite though, was seeing a pinch hit grandslam by Kal Daniels at Dodger Stadium. I was about 10 at the time and it was quite an electric atmosphere.

Watching the Giants meltdown this past season was more remarkable than anything.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #65
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

One more, Quentin Coryatt's hit against TCU (I think). The receiver comes across the middle catches the ball, then Coryatt unloads on the poor guy.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #66
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

1988 - Smythe Division Finals - Game 2 - Edmonton is in Calgary and the game goes into OT. Gretzky crosses the blueline on his own and with Vernon out at least 15 feet to cutoff the angles, Gretz winds up at the top edge of the left faceoff circle and wires a slapshot over Vernon's left shoulder to win the game and eventually sweep the Flames to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals. Vernon didn't even move.

I'm also a Cunningham fan and will always remember that play in the endzone...eluding Bruce Smith...a huge feat in itself...but then to heave the ball over half the distance of the field for a TD...simply amazing.

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 01-19-2005 at 01:44 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #67
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Actually 3ric reminded me of a great one- Michael Owen's run as a 17 year old through the Argentine defense- one of the greatest goals ever scored. That and Roberto Carlos' Banana Kick goal against the French.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #68
Desert Dweeb
n00b

This one is easy for me. Gar Heard's "Shot heard round the world" during the Suns-Celtics finals. My stupid mom decided we should all go to the movies that night. I was all kinds of pissed off, and ended up watching one of the most exciting NBA games of all times on a crappy tiny black and white TV with poor reception in the snack bar. Good thing ESPN classic replays this one every now and again.
Desert Dweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #69
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It happened about 8 years ago: Scott Dreisbach's 60 yard td pass to lift Michigan over I think Colorado or Washington.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:03 AM   #70
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

vince youngs last touchdown in the rose bowl
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:06 AM   #71
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
The Saints doing the Cal-Stanford play against I think it was the Jaguars, only to lose the game when Carney misses the extra point. I remember this because I was watching another game on Fox (maybe CBS), it ended and they switched over to extra coverage of the Saints game. Extra coverage indeed.
I can't believe that I forgot that one. It was Fox, and I remember the play very clearly. I remember when Donte' Stallworth made the initial lateral to Michael Lewis. At that point, I said aloud (even though I was by myself), "They're going to score." Then Lewis lateraled to Deuce McAllister, who then threw the ball to Jerome Pathon. I was standing in my living room completely stunned. Then I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if he missed the extra point?" They showed a couple of the Saints on the sideline laughing it up, and some of them weren't even watching the field when Carney kicked the ball. There was a single guy in the stands who I'll always remember. He was holding a card with an arrow on it. He started pointing the arrow to the left of the goalpost, as if he was urging Carney to hook the kick. Carney ended up missing wide right. As soon as the ball sailed wide, the guy with the card turned the arrow around so it pointed to the right. I watched that on TiVo about 20 times because I was laughing so hard.

Later that night, I heard the radio broadcast of the touchdown and the missed extra point. To me, I laughed hardest at Saints play-by-play man Jim Henderson's scream of "NOOOOOOOOOO! HE MISSED IT!" I think I heard a collective scream from Saints fans all over New Orleans that day.

Here in New Orleans, the Saints actually used a mock-up of that touchdown play in one of their commercials. The commercial was set in a grocery store. A shopper walked away from the bakery counter without picking up her loaf of bread. The baker shouts, "Ma'am, you forgot your bread!" The woman is already at the checkout counter at the front of the store. Out of nowhere, Aaron Brooks (in full uniform) grabs the loaf of bread from the baker and throws it across the store to Donte' Stallworth. You can see where this is going. Stallworth starts running through the store, but figuring that he can't get to the woman in time, he throws the bread to Michael Lewis. Lewis sprints down an aisle only to get blocked by a woman in a motorized cart. She intentionally keeps him from passing her. He throws the bread to Deuce McAllister. McAllister can't get there, so he throws the bread across an aisle to Jerome Pathon. Pathon sprints toward the front of the store, and here comes Brooks to throw a block on an abandoned shopping cart (just like the block that got Pathon into the end zone in Jacksonville). Pathon ends up diving onto the conveyor belt with the loaf of bread right in front of the shopper. She turns to him and says, "Thank you."

At that point, the ticket office's phone number comes up on the screen. In a slightly longer version of the commercial, the phone number disappears, and the cashier inexplicably tries to scan Jerome Pathon's helmet on the register while he's still wearing it.

It doesn't ring up.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-20-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #72
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The Music Man. My favorite play of all time.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #73
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Here in New Orleans, the Saints actually used a mock-up of that touchdown play in one of their commercials.
Wait, they went to all the trouble of filming that and then didn't bring in John Carney to carry the woman's bags to her car and then drop them all over the parking lot?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #74
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Come on Mizzou fans, you know you loved the 95 tournament game!

Damn that Tyus Edney!
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #75
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Wait, they went to all the trouble of filming that and then didn't bring in John Carney to carry the woman's bags to her car and then drop them all over the parking lot?

Maple Leafs comes through with the comedy again!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 AM   #76
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne

Karelin losing his clinch wasn't a judgment call. On the world class level, a significant percentage of greco and freestyle wrestling matches go to overtime--because of the 3 point must rule (three points have to be scored in a match for it to end in regulation). These guys are so good, particularly with defensive tactics, that often times three points aren't scored. You don't have to pin or slam someone to really beat them. One of the most dominating matches I've ever seen was in the GA state finals several years ago, when a heavyweight won the match 2-0 on two stalling points. He just whipped the guy for 6 minutes, but the other guy was good defensively and was able to prevent him from scoring points. That said, I agree with you that I don't think Gardner qualifies as a "great play."
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:05 AM   #77
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

This is becoming a great list.

Although it wasn't at all done under any kind of pressure and although I've never really liked the guy, I think Vince Carter deserves to be on this list for literally jumping over the 7'0' French center and then dunking at the Olympics in 2000. TNT recently listed that dunk as the best in-game dunk of all time and I would be hard-pressed to find anyone who could disagree. I may never see that again in my lifetime.
Ajaxab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #78
digamma
Torchbearer

And to answer the question (limiting it to games I've seen in person)...

Kenny Anderson's drive and shot to send the 1990 GT-Michigan State game into overtime.

Franky Cabrera.

Reggie Bush's touchdown run against UCLA this season.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #79
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Joe Jurevicious[sp?] where he tips the ball away from the defender and then turns around and catches it for the touchdown. That was pretty cool.

There was an awesome play that UT fans may remember. I don't know who they were playing, but the opposing team was on the one yard line with time left for one play and Texas up by less than a touchdown. They ran some kind of wepp/pitch to the left and the one of the texas d-lineman got out there. It was basically one on one for one yard and the d-lineman puts a lick on the running back and stops him cold. Game over, texas wins. I may be messing up the time, down, and distance, but I am sure texas fans remember it becasue it was a hell of a play.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #80
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

in person:
1a. Sanderson's breakaway goal in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals to give the Sabres a 1-0 lead

1b. A senior classmate stealing the ball in midair landing behind the 3pt line when there was 1 second on the clock, drilling a 3 pter at the buzzer to win our 1st playoff game (on the road too) in a shitload of years.

1c. The final shot as my Griffs won the MAAC tourny and a NCAA bid for the 1st time in 50 years (and running on the floor after the horn then getting recognized later on as it was on ESPN)

On tv: 1. Christie's FG to beat the Oilers in the Greatest Comeback of All Time. I went to the mall at halftime, heard the Oilers score at the start of the 3rd and was amazed to hear the game going into OT when I got out of the mall. Rushed home in time to see the winner

Last edited by Chubby : 01-20-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #81
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

The Drop
Roger the Dodger planting a beautiful pass to the awkward Jackie Smith, who drops it in the endzone, essentially giving the Super Bowl to the asshat Steelers.

The Catch.

F-ing Montana broke my young heart with a ball he threw in desperation. No way, and I will die believing this, did he set that up that way. 49ers - Boo!

The Run

Riggins breaking my recently healed heart by running on 4th and 1 over my no name undersized Dolphin defense to score and seal the victory for the hated - STILL HATED - Redskins.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 01-20-2005 at 12:26 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #82
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

This is a great list, and is really jogging my memory on a bunch of plays I had forgotten. One that I had thought of that didn't write was the New Orleans desperation TD that they scored against Jacksonville last year (only to have Carney miss the extra point). Just an unbelievably good play.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:38 PM   #83
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I think Steve Young's amazing 49 yard TD against the Vikings in 1988 has been labelled "the greatest play ever" by NFL Films....

Just a comment on the "McNair to Dyson" pass that was stopped 1 yard short of the goal line in the SuperBowl...Actually I think that was a very, very poor play by the Titans.
We're talking about the final play of a season, in the biggest of games, and here they call a patern ?!?!
They should have thrown to the end zone and not "bet" on a run after the catch.
Never, should McNair have thrown that pass.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #84
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

These are just plays that i've seen either live in person or live on TV:
- Any one of Barry Sanders' runs. He made highlight reels on 3 yard runs, simply amazing.
- McNabb's 14 second scramble and pass this season. Not only a great job of escaping but one hell of a throw going to his left and off one foot (I think that throw got overshadowed by the scramble leading up to it).
- Music City Miracle.
- It was a while ago and I forget which two colleges were playing but there was a pass that was intercepted where the cornerback came up from behind the receiver, leaped over his back without touching him, intercepted the ball, landed on his feet and almost ran it back for a touchdown.
- Overtime at a Wings lacrosse playoff game. Tom Marichek leaps int th eair to steal an outlet pass from the opposing goallie and in the same motion finds a team-mate wide open for the goal before hitting the ground (live for that one).
- Another college game that I can;t remember the teams. A receiver catches the pass, turns to run and gets drilled around the knees by the defender. He ends up flipping complteely over, lands on his feet and goes the distance for the touchdown.
- G@# D@#$ M@$#%@ F#&@&& Joe Carter's homerun to win the 93 World Series.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM   #85
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The Ryan Giggs wondergoal vs. Arsenal in the 1998-9 FA Cup semi.

Zidane's left foot volley to beat Leverkusen in the Champions League final.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #86
henry296
College Starter

I've seen on TV many Lemiuex goals, There was one where he was being hooked all the way from the Blue Line against Quebec and scored shorthanded.

The other one was in the 91 Cup Finals against the North Stars. He split two defenseman, then Casey came out and challenged, while being pulled down put the puck in the net.

Another one against the Bruins when he scored with Ray Bourque draped all over him.

It wasn't one play, but a great individual performance. I was at the game when he scored 5 goals 5 ways (PP, SH, Even Strengthen, EN, and Penalty Shot) against the Devils on New Year's Eve 88. He added 3 assists in the game for good measure.

Todd
Old 01-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #87
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Many great ones already mentioned. Certain guys like Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell deserve multiple mentions. One other play mentioned in passing that deserves more attention was Charles Woodson's INT in 98, where he was like 4 feet off the ground, one handed it with like his back turned and managed to tap a foot inbounds. Completely ridiculous play. There are also 2 KR's I wanted to mention. One was Memphis-Tennessee from I think 96, when the Memphis KR was hit and knocked down, rolled on his elbow, never broke stride and kept running for the TD. The other occurred this year in a UMass-Colgate game, so I doubt anyone else has seen or heard of the play. RJ Cobbs for UMass gets the kick, hurdles one guy at the 20, jukes about 4 others, outruns one or two down the sideline then as his angle is being cut off hurdles a second guy, slowing him down enough a couple guys catch up, so he jukes them out again and scores the TD. Of course, then it got called back for a hold but it was the most amazing athletic feat I've ever seen. One more from pickup football involved a pass thrown to one of my friends, where it was behind him, so he reaches back for it, doesn't quite get the handle and it rolls up his arm and across his back. He starts spinning around to get it on the other side but another DB runs up and takes it right off his back for a TD.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM   #88
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
the o so famous Jordan higlight where he goes up with his right hand, switches to his left all with the most graceful glide for a layup

Most overrated moment in sports history.

My greatest play is the Cal/Stanford runback.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 01:35 PM   #89
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma
Karelin losing his clinch wasn't a judgment call. On the world class level, a significant percentage of greco and freestyle wrestling matches go to overtime--because of the 3 point must rule (three points have to be scored in a match for it to end in regulation). These guys are so good, particularly with defensive tactics, that often times three points aren't scored. You don't have to pin or slam someone to really beat them. One of the most dominating matches I've ever seen was in the GA state finals several years ago, when a heavyweight won the match 2-0 on two stalling points. He just whipped the guy for 6 minutes, but the other guy was good defensively and was able to prevent him from scoring points. That said, I agree with you that I don't think Gardner qualifies as a "great play."

IIRC due to a relatively new rule Karelin had to throw Gardner within a relatively short time period or give up a point. When Karelin shifted to do so, the referee ruled that his clinch became invalid not because he had actually broken his grip, but because of some ruling regarding the position of the clinch. I didn't think that he "broke" the clinch, but I could be wrong. In any case we agree on the major point that it isn't a "great play" to be passive in a sporting event, even when you excel at it.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #90
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My favorite Gretzky moment had him charging the net in pursuit of a puck heading toward the opposing net. There is an opponent right on his heels, looking to drive Gretzky into the boards behind goal if he slows up to control the puck. Gretzky gets control of the puck, shortly before crossing behind the goal, and tucks it neatly between his skates behind him to the ice to the goalies left. He then pivots to his right drawing his stick back for a shot. This was a move the guy moving in behind him didn't see coming, and he sailed past the puck and then past the wheeling Gretzky. The result was a Gretzky pass to himself about 8 feet from the net for a full slap shot. The goalie didn't stand a chance.

I'm certain I can't describe it in such a way that it makes since, but I'm sure some of you have seen the highlight.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:04 AM   #91
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If anyone wants to actually see the Buccaneers/Rams play involving primarily Shaun King and Warrick Dunn (the one I talked about earlier in the thread), I've now got it on my webspace for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.lovetohate.us/fofc/dunn_king.mpg

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-23-2005 at 03:34 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:31 AM   #92
figofamz
Mascot

the half way line of a soccer field is pretty far from the goal posts one would agree, well for you soccer fans who remember the "the goal from heaven" by Saedorf. He dribbled barely across the line beating a midfielder and took a look at the goal, the keeper underestimated him while he was 6 yards off his line and boom with pure force no float on the ball, it ended up in the top left corner. Something more sensational than roberto carlos's goal from the goal line!!
figofamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #93
Butter
Coordinator

Alright, I'll finally speak up.

The greatest from my teams:

Reds: Eric Davis in 1990 comes up after looking like complete shit in the NLCS against the Pirates and rips a 2 run homer in the first inning of game 1 off of Dave Stewart. I was backstage at the practice of a play, and they heard me and my buddy yell on stage and came back and told us to quiet down. That HR propelled the whole team to the 4 game sweep.

Bengals: Drafting Ki-Jana Carter, bizotches! Alright, it was actually Stanford Jennings' kickoff return to close the 3rd quarter that put the Bengals up 13-6. I thought for sure the Bengals were going to win at that point.

Buckeyes: Maurice Clarett ripping the ball back away from the Hurricane safety just through sheer force of will. Sure, he's a douchebag, but that play was crazy.

One of the best I've seen that I didn't see mentioned:

-New Orleans @ Jacksonville from Dec. 2003, the Saints need a win to stay in the playoff hunt... then they throw a crazy pass and with 3 or 4 legal laterals take it to the endzone to seemingly tie the game... until John Carney misses the extra point.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:10 AM   #94
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
Kevin Dyson on that one

yeah as a life long oilers and titans fan that one left me numb for hpours after.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:14 AM   #95
Galaril
Pro Starter

Music City Miracle was incredible.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #96
Rasmuth
n00b

greatest single plays....

baseball - Carlton Fisk's dramatic playoff game 6 homer....living in New England as a kid...that homer was incredibly powerful. (2nd place goes to Bucky Dent's blast that only added to the curse)

football - for some reason Tony Dorsett's 99 yard TD run is sticking in my head...wasn't fancy...he just busted through the line and outran everyone...but it was exciting (is it still the only 99 yard run from scrimmage in NFL history?...it was at the time)...the other play that stands out is the "Immaculate Reception" by Franco Harris...it was an astounding play...broke John Madden's heart.

College Football...Flutie's incredible Hail Mary...it just doesn't get more amazing than that.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:29 PM   #97
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

The best play I have ever seen is dubbed "The Monon Miracle." I was at the game, about 40 feet from the final play. Both teams are D3, and it has a more personal feeling for me. The teams are Wabash (where my dad went, and I can see the campus from my house) against Depauw (a top party school in the nation). The Little Giants of Wabash won this game too, so that is why it was so great.

Quote:
With just 2.7 seconds remaining in a 21-21 tie at Blackstock Stadium, Wabash quarterback Jake Knott took a shotgun snap from Tom Meeker at the Little Giants’ 48-yard line. He rolled right and let fly just before getting nailed by a DePauw defender. The ball came down at about the Tiger 5, where Ryan Short tipped the ball backward. It fell into Wabash receiver Kurt Casper’s hands in the end zone with no time left, and the Little Giant fans stormed the field in celebration. DePauw’s fans stood stunned and silent.

http://www.journalreview.com/Main.as...ArticleID=6936
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #98
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway
The best play I have ever seen is dubbed "The Monon Miracle." I was at the game, about 40 feet from the final play. Both teams are D3, and it has a more personal feeling for me. The teams are Wabash (where my dad went, and I can see the campus from my house) against Depauw (a top party school in the nation). The Little Giants of Wabash won this game too, so that is why it was so great.

http://www.journalreview.com/Main.as...ArticleID=6936

When I was in Junior High, I went to a local Highschool football game with my father. Out team wasn't all that great that year, and the visiting team would be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs if they beat us. As time was running out in the fourth quarter, the visiting team had a four point lead, and the ball on our six yard line. With just a second or so on the clock, the visiting team snaps the ball, and the QB attempts a pass into the endzone. It was intercepted about five yards deep. I knew the guy who picked it off, well I knew his little brother at least. In any case this guy started the return up the right sideline, got into traffic changed directions to take the ball up the left sideline, where he got an incredible block at about the ten yard-line. He scored the touchdown, we won the game, and the visiting team didn't go to the playoffs. It was one of the more just sporting moments I can recall.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #99
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Lots o' moments:

*Someone mentioned the James Forrest GT NCAA shot. Remember that one pretty well.

*Last second buzzer-beater by 'Zo to help the Hornets to beat the Celtics in their first ever playoff series.

*(terpkristin won't like this one) Damon Thornton's tea-bagging of Mike Mardisich on a breakaway dunk in a game between State and Maryland at the RBC Center a few years back.

*Steve Smith's catch-and-run to clinch the game against the Rams in last year's playoffs

*Ron Francis's overtime goal that allowed Carolina to steal a game from the vaunted Red Wings in Detroit to open the 2002 Stanley Cup. It was memorable mainly because of the absolute astonishment that seemed to grip everybody up here that their beloved Wings actually lost to the Hurricanes. The expressions on people's faces in the stands afterwards was absolutely priceless. (Yes, the Wings did sweep the remaining games, but it was still a revelation to the fans nonetheless that it wasn't going to be a complete walkover.)

*If you are an NC State fan, this is the single greatest moment:

Gary Bender:
"You see the time...Whittenburg...oh, it's a long way!"

Billy Packer:
"Aaah!...They won it! On the dunk!"

This, of course, is the call on CBS as Whittenburg's 35-foot "pass" ended up being caught by Lorenzo Charles, who slammed it through as the NC State Wolfpack upset the Houston Cougars and Phi Slamma Jamma, 54-52 at The Pit in Albuquerque, New Mexico on April 4, 1983.

Being a wee lad of 7, it was the first sports moment I could truly appreciate the significance of. I remember some things in 1982 when I was six, like UNC winnning on Fred Brown's brain fart in the NCAA final or the Redskins beating the Dolphins in Super Bowl XVII, but the significance of what it meant was lost on me. This was something different altogether. I remember going with the family to Raleigh after the team got back and attended the celebration at Reynolds Coliseum, though I don't remember too much about it beyond the fact that the sheer number of bodies in there, combined with a nice spring day outside, meant it was hot as hell in there.

It's become more poignant with time as Coach V's career went down in flames based in part on his own weaknesses and in part on a witchhunt inspired by a slanderous book that was filled with falsehoods (I believe there is still a bounty on Peter Golenback's head in the state of North Carolina) and run by a malicious newspaper seeking glory and Pulitzers, to be soon followed by his resurrection in death from cancer 10 years after the championship run.

Yeah, you can say it's a pretty big moment for me.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote