Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #51
spleen1015
Coordinator

It all depends on how Houston would have used Bush. I don't think the Saints are using him the same way the Texans would have.

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #52
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

He was destined to not be worth his draft slot either way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #53
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, one side of the story and all, but this sounds incredibly douchy on Steve Spagnalo's part.

Days After Firing, Rams Equipment Manager Sits Down with RFT to Reflect - St. Louis News - Daily RFT
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Also sounds incredibly douchy for the guy to say he loves the team and every player but will pray for them to lose every game next year.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #55
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah. One side of the story is a bit of an understatement though.

"Since Spagnuolo joined the team at the start of the 2009 season, he and Hewitt never warmed to each other"
"Over their two years together, the relationship between head coach and equipment manager had grown frosty"

The reason for this relationship was summed up with basically "Spagnulo was really mean".

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-12-2011 at 03:45 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #56
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a college buddy of Spanuolo's will get the position? It's an equipment manager position for crying out loud.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Says right in there Spagnulo may have resented Hewitt's relationship with the players. Where the hell does that come from? Wouldn't be surprised if Hewitt was complaining about Spagnulo to the players.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-12-2011 at 04:27 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Randall Cobb just announced he's leaving UK. Definitely a good move, regardless where (or if) he gets drafted.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #59
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Not sure what this does for Colt McCoy. Will Shurmur want to run a west coast style offense?

Browns name Shurmur head coach

Posted 54 minutes ago

The Browns named Pat Shurmur the 13th full-time head coach in franchise history, the team announced Thursday afternoon.
The Cleveland Browns today named Pat Shurmur as the 13th full-time head coach in franchise history.

Shurmur’s résumé includes 23 years of coaching experience, including 12 in the NFL. In those 12 seasons, he has been a part of teams that have qualified for the playoffs seven times, won five division crowns and posted one Super Bowl appearance.

“It’s an honor and a privilege to join an organization with such a rich history and tradition as the Cleveland Browns,” Shurmur said. “I have the utmost respect for Coach Holmgren and Tom Heckert, and I am impressed with the direction in which they have this franchise going. I have known Tom for most of my pro coaching career, and while we were in Philadelphia, he and I developed an outstanding relationship. I want to thank Mike and Tom, as well as Randy Lerner, for this tremendous opportunity. I also want to thank the St. Louis Rams and Steve Spagnuolo for two terrific seasons and for giving me a chance to be a coordinator at this level. I am looking forward to this challenge and can’t wait to get started in helping to build the Browns back to one of the elite teams in the NFL.”

“I am extremely excited about having Pat Shurmur as the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Pat is a bright, young man who grew up in football and around the coaching profession. I came away from our interview very impressed with him as a person, his extensive knowledge of the game and his track record of success as an assistant coach in this league. Most importantly, I feel as though he possesses the necessary qualities which make him the right man to lead our football team.”

Shurmur spent the past two seasons (2009-10) as the offensive coordinator with the St. Louis Rams. He helped the Rams improve to a 7-9 record following a 1-15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league this past season. In 2010, he guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.

He helped shape quarterback Sam Bradford, the top pick in the 2010 draft, as Bradford set NFL rookie records for completions (354) and attempts (590), while his 3,512 passing yards were the second-most by a rookie in league history, trailing only Peyton Manning's 3,739 in 1998. Bradford's 18 touchdown passes tied for fifth-most among rookies in NFL history. During a midseason stretch, he set an NFL rookie record with 174 consecutive attempts without an interception.

Along with starting a rookie quarterback, the team’s second-round pick, Rodger Saffold, was the only NFL rookie to start all 16 games at left tackle in 2010. The Rams allowed just 34 sacks despite attempting the fifth-most passing plays in the NFL this past season, which placed the team 12th in the league in sacks per pass play.

Also under Shurmur, Rams running back Steven Jackson was selected to the NFC Pro Bowl squad both years. Jackson claimed the NFC rushing title in 2009 with 1,416 yards. Jackson’s rushing totals each of the past two seasons (1,241 in 2010) represent two of the three highest rushing figures of his seven-year NFL career.

Prior to joining the Rams, Shurmur spent 10 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles (1999-2008). He served as the team’s quarterbacks coach from 2002-08 and helped Donovan McNabb to three Pro Bowl selections during his tenure. In 2008, McNabb set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 passing yards.

In 2004, Shurmur guided McNabb to the most productive season of his career, as he set franchise records in passer rating (104.7) and completion percentage (64.0). McNabb also became the first quarterback in NFL history with 30-plus touchdown passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (8) in a single season.

During his first season as quarterbacks coach, Shurmur turned to third-string quarterback A.J. Feeley after injuries to McNabb and Koy Detmer. Despite not having started a game in three years, since his junior season at Oregon, Feeley helped the Eagles post a 4-1 record, as they won the NFC East and advanced to the NFC title game. Shurmur faced another quarterback injury in 2006 and turned to backup Jeff Garcia, who helped the club to a 5-1 record and led Philadelphia into the Divisional round of the playoffs.

Shurmur’s first three seasons in Philadelphia (1999-2001) were spent as tight ends coach, where he developed three-time Pro Bowler Chad Lewis. From 2000-01, Lewis combined for 110 receptions, 1,157 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. His reception total ranked fourth among all NFL tight ends during that two-year span, while he was tied for fourth in touchdowns and fifth in receiving yards.

Before joining the Eagles, Shurmur spent the 1998 season at Stanford University as offensive line coach. That year, the Cardinal offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per pass attempt in the Pac-10 and helped first-year quarterback Todd Husak become only the third quarterback in school history to throw for more 3,000 yards.

Prior to Stanford, Shurmur instructed the tight ends, special teams and offensive line at Michigan State University from 1990-97. The Spartans sent three tight ends (Ty Hallock, Duane Young and Mitch Lyons) to the NFL under Shurmur’s guidance, and kick returner Derrick Mason set a school career record with 2,575 return yards.

A four-year letterman at Michigan State, Shurmur earned All-Big Ten conference honors and All-America honorable mention accolades in 1987. He played guard and linebacker as a freshman and started at center the next three seasons. He served as co-captain as a senior when the Spartans defeated USC in the Rose Bowl. He earned a master’s degree in financial administration and was the first graduate student football player at the University.

A native of Dearborn, Mich., who attended Divine Child High School, Shurmur comes from a football background. His uncle, the late Fritz Shurmur, coached in the NFL for 24 years and served as the Green Bay Packers’ defensive coordinator from 1994-98 and helped that club win two NFC Championships and Super Bowl XXXI.

Born April 14, 1965, Pat and his wife, Jennifer, have four children, daughters Allyson, Erica and Claire, and a son, Kyle.

Pat Shurmur Coaching Background:

1988-89 Michigan State University, graduate assistant coach

1990-97 Michigan State University, tight ends/special teams/offensive line coach

1998 Stanford University, offensive line coach

1999-2001 Philadelphia Eagles, tight ends/offensive line coach

2002-08 Philadelphia Eagles, quarterbacks coach

2009-10 St. Louis Rams, offensive coordinator

2011 Cleveland Browns, head coach
Old 01-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #60
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Cam Newton going pro. Cincinnati maybe thinking QB. I think Akili II would be hilarious!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #61
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Cam Newton going pro. Cincinnati maybe thinking QB. I think Akili II would be hilarious!

It would be rather high considering his ranking in the teens and 20s as a prospect. Vikings would be the last team I think in the first round who would give him a look. After that, I think he's a 2nd rounder. Before #13, there's just too many teams needing a QB for me to think he slips into the 2nd.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #62
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

No way Cincy takes a QB in round one. They are keeping Palmer and Brown won't pay two top money QBs.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #63
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm having trouble finding a team for Newton in the first round unless he really throws well during the combine/workouts.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:19 AM   #64
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm having trouble finding a team for Newton in the first round unless he really throws well during the combine/workouts.

Vikings due to their desperate need for a starter. The only thing they have now are people who have proven they are back ups at best. Oh, and it's the Vikings so considering their draft history, I figure they are a solid option for pulling off something that's news worthy.

Washington. They have the vet QBs in place to groom him. Shanahan is there as a mentor. He's also coached McNabb and Elway so he was no issue dealing with athletic QBs and he even traded to get McNabb.

Teams before that are looking at the other QBs, or holding off for the chance at Luck next year.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #65
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Vikings due to their desperate need for a starter. The only thing they have now are people who have proven they are back ups at best. Oh, and it's the Vikings so considering their draft history, I figure they are a solid option for pulling off something that's news worthy.

Washington. They have the vet QBs in place to groom him. Shanahan is there as a mentor. He's also coached McNabb and Elway so he was no issue dealing with athletic QBs and he even traded to get McNabb.

Teams before that are looking at the other QBs, or holding off for the chance at Luck next year.

I find it unlikely that the Redskins use 1.10 to take Newton. Maybe if they trade down, but otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #66
molson
General Manager

I could see Newton sitting on the bench for a year or two, which would open up a lot of possibilities in the first round.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #67
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I could see Seattle taking him late in the first round and sitting him behind Hasselback. The Whitehurst situation IMO is a distraction.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I find it unlikely that the Redskins use 1.10 to take Newton. Maybe if they trade down, but otherwise...

Why not? Assuming McNabb is traded, as most think, isn't QB priority one for the Redskins?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #69
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Why not? Assuming McNabb is traded, as most think, isn't QB priority one for the Redskins?

They have Sexy Rexy, geez.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #70
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Yes, I just don't think they'll go for Newton after being burned on Campbell and McNabb.

I think they'll want to eye a more pure pocket-passer.

Admittedly, I don't know who that is in this class, I'm just sayin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #71
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I could see Newton sitting on the bench for a year or two, which would open up a lot of possibilities in the first round.

This seems right, which to me points to a late first-rounder by a team who can afford to blow a 1st round pick on a project.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #72
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

It's obviously early, and mock drafts sites aren't experts, but most have Newton going between 8 and 12.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #73
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Fairley is going pro. So 24 seniors and their two best players are gone next year.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #74
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Fairley is going pro. So 24 seniors and their two best players are gone next year.

Don't worry. There are plenty of churches out there that need repairs.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #75
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I heard some guy retired. Even filed papers with the league. So it's got to be real this time. Right?
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #76
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
I heard some guy retired. Even filed papers with the league. So it's got to be real this time. Right?

Yeah, hes done. His streak is over, he must realize he isnt invincible anymore, and Im not sure what team is going to take him on anymore. He should have let his last game be the NFC Championship game loss so he didnt have to go through last year. Im thinking he regrets coming back for that final season.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:04 PM   #77
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yeah, hes done. His streak is over, he must realize he isnt invincible anymore, and Im not sure what team is going to take him on anymore. He should have let his last game be the NFC Championship game loss so he didnt have to go through last year. Im thinking he regrets coming back for that final season.

Once Father Times catches up to you, he doesn't let go. Even at 38, I'm amazed he even made it that far. I can't image being two years older and doing what he did last year, as in before this last one.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-17-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #78
Swaggs
Coordinator

Mark Bulger will be a free agent (unless Baltimore re-ups).

I'd like to see him get a shot in San Francisco or Minnesota. With a year to get healthy, I think he can still be a solid starter and he would be a nice stopgap starter for a team that is otherwise ready to go.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #79
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Laurence Maroney arrested while possessing gun, drugs - NFL - SI.com

Quote:
Denver Broncos running back Laurence Maroney has been arrested in St. Louis on drugs and weapons allegations. His publicist said Tuesday that he did nothing wrong.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #80
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

mcdaniels takes stl oc gig. singletary takes vikings lb coach.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #81
Logan
Head Coach

Who wants to draft him?

I'll give a cautionary NSFW.

THE HAPPY FOOTBALL LIFE OF WILL HILL - Every Day Should Be Saturday
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #82
Swaggs
Coordinator

Senior Bowl is on NFL Network right now.

Hankerson, the WR out of Miami, looks pretty good.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #83
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Who wants to draft him?

This isn't getting enough love, good stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Who wants to draft him?

Yes, I do believe that NSFW would apply.

It's a job hazard based on the laughter quotient alone
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Did anyone tell the AFC there was a game today? 42-7 in the 2nd quarter.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #86
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Did anyone tell the AFC there was a game today? 42-7 in the 2nd quarter.

They probably care about as much as most of us
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #87
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

First I heard there was a game today.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #88
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

True enough. Back to FM10 and SimCity for me.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ummmmm okay

Philadelphia Eagles' Michael Vick gets key to city in Dallas ceremony - ESPN Dallas

I don't even know where to go with this one. This just seems so bizarre on so many levels.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #90
Swaggs
Coordinator

Biggest Offseason Wish For the Steelers: Stay out of the news!

It bums me out to think about what the Steelers would have looked like with Santonio Holmes on the team this season
Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #91
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Putting this here, although could go in the Super Bowl thread. It kind of made me laugh.

Charles Woodson feeling no pain as Packers win Super Bowl XLV - Peter King - SI.com

Quote:
"I told y'all Packers would exploit that secondary!! But don't listen to me though, I only played the Steelers 3x this season.''
--@DonteStallworth, Ravens receiver Donte' Stallworth, after Aaron Rodgers made the score 21-3 when he threw his second touchdown pass of the first half and was abusing the Steelers secondary.

Week 4, Baltimore @ Pittsburgh. Donte Stallworth, 0 catches.
Week 13, Pittsburgh @ Baltimore, Donte Stallworth 1 catch, 67 yards
Divisional Rd Baltimore @ Pittsburgh, Donte Stallworth 0 catches

Not to say he wasn't correct, most people knew the weakness of the defense was the secondary.

But hard to listen to the guy with 1 catch in those 3X. If it was that obvious, he should have told John Harbaugh.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #92
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Take this as you will-

Pittsburgh sports radio had on Isaac Redman, backup RB, talking about the SB and looking towards next year.

He said after the player met with Charlie Batch, the team union rep, that it's "100% happening" when refering to the lockout.

Asked to clarify, he said "from what we are being told, it's going to happen"
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #93
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He said after the player met with Charlie Batch, the team union rep, that it's "100% happening" when refering to the lockout.

and the nfl's already in full court press with its 'new season starts now' draft ads. i've already seen a bunch on the sites i visited today.

111 million people- most watched sb in history and they want 2 more games? the owners are gonna have a hard time crying poverty.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #94
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Dola

Take this as you will-

Pittsburgh sports radio had on Isaac Redman, backup RB, talking about the SB and looking towards next year.

The thing is, both sides have to present the "We are totally prepared for an extended lockout" face in order to look strong at the negotiating table.

So, in that regard, I see this as par for the course.

That said, deadlines (real, not fake) motivate deals. So I don't see anything happening until we reach a point where regular season games would have to be scrapped.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #95
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Does that mean John Madden 2011 will have a giant lock on the front?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #96
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Philadelphia Eagles' Michael Vick gets key to city in Dallas ceremony - ESPN Dallas

I don't even know where to go with this one. This just seems so bizarre on so many levels.

Is that why it's been snowing in Dallas? Can they make snowballs down there now?
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ESPN just reported there are no talks scheduled between the NFLPA and the Owners. How is that possible given the labor situation?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 AM   #98
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ESPN just reported there are no talks scheduled between the NFLPA and the Owners. How is that possible given the labor situation?

Both groups of millionaires are playing at having their versions of temper tantrums...

I can spend my money elsewhere
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #99
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Par for the course in labor negotiations. Nothing was going to happen till the deadline gets closer.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #100
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Par for the course in labor negotiations. Nothing was going to happen till the deadline gets closer.

This.

Watching all the talking heads wringing their hands is quite funny. Both sides know what it'll take to get a deal done and both are just waiting it out to get the best deal they possibly can.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote