Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM   #51
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

It'd push me over the top Travis. Other than that, I've waited this long to choose, may as well wait a while longer.

damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #52
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
If Sony were smart, they'd price cut right now to get any and every 360 owner leaning at all towards investing in a BR player rather than letting word spread of the (likely) possibility of a 360 BR add-on. Whether or not the add-on would be the same quality player as the PS3, until the price is announced it'll probably keep people on the fence, and with one of the better exclusives about to hit the market, this is their chance to really hit the market.

Sure their sales will do well likely just based on Toshiba calling it quits and having the Show come out, but even a $50 cut on the 40 gig would probably sway a lot of people (I'd say $100 to really push it home, but 0 faith in a cut that large happening).

The new (and cheaper) laser is supposed to be in the BR players and PS3 sometime in April, which will significantly reduced the manufacturing cost of both devices. At that point, they should be in a position to engage in a price war if they choose to do so. Until then, games like The Show, Little Big Planet and Metal Gear Solid 4 should provide plenty of demand.

My personal guess is that they'll put off the price cut until August/September.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #53
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

As part of my master plan, when we get a new house the wife wants new furniture and a new TV. I should be able to get a rider attached to that plan that will consist of a new PS3.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #54
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
As part of my master plan, when we get a new house the wife wants new furniture and a new TV. I should be able to get a rider attached to that plan that will consist of a new PS3.

Watch out for the filibuster.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #55
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Just tell her you're buying a blu-ray player so you can actually USE that new tv to its fullest extent (bluray is way more impressive than HD-cable..just bit rate alone). You don't need to tell her that the blu-ray player also plays video games.
Synovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:07 PM   #56
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting post from Bill Harris concerning the January NPD numbers and the 'shortage' surrounding the Xbox 360. Really interesting part was an anonymous quote from one of his sources indicating that MS may continue to restrict supply for up to 6 months with no reason given for the lack of supply.............

Quote:
All X360 hardware is currently being allocated on a weekly basis to all direct customers. We've heard that product may not flow freely again until the late spring or early summer. No news (or even rumblings) about new hardware SKUs. If it's happening, the info may come at the Microsoft Vision conference in late July.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...t-mystery.html
Old 02-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #57
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New news being leaked concerning Home. Both Home and the in-game XMB are both apparently all but ready for release in the next couple of weeks. PS3 online gamers will now have in-game and cross-game communication in addition to lobbies for online game meet-ups amongst friends. A PS3 version of Achievements will also be added (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess)..........

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/...e-coming-soon/
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #58
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Xbox 360 shows up with RROD at Game Developers' Conference (GDC 2008).............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technolog...h_returns.html
If I'm not mistaken, removing the video cable from the back of the 360 will produce an RROD display (but not an actual RROD situation). This particular instance might not actually be a real RROD situation.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #59
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If I'm not mistaken, removing the video cable from the back of the 360 will produce an RROD display (but not an actual RROD situation). This particular instance might not actually be a real RROD situation.

I believe (though may be wrong) that that gives you two red lights, not three. That was one of the first Qs I was asked when I phoned Microsoft up re: my RRoD.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #60
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I believe (though may be wrong) that that gives you two red lights, not three. That was one of the first Qs I was asked when I phoned Microsoft up re: my RRoD.
Ah, could be.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #61
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
New news being leaked concerning Home. Both Home and the in-game XMB are both apparently all but ready for release in the next couple of weeks. PS3 online gamers will now have in-game and cross-game communication in addition to lobbies for online game meet-ups amongst friends. A PS3 version of Achievements will also be added (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em I guess)..........

http://www.dbtechno.com/gaming/2008/...e-coming-soon/

I'd believe in-game XMB being ready, but I'm calling shenanigans on Home being just a couple weeks away.

Couple months? More believable.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #62
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'd believe in-game XMB being ready, but I'm calling shenanigans on Home being just a couple weeks away.

Couple months? More believable.

I was a bit surprised as well. It seemed like they were still adding feature sets to Home as recent as a couple of weeks ago.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #63
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I was a bit surprised as well. It seemed like they were still adding feature sets to Home as recent as a couple of weeks ago.

As recently as last month I was hearing that there were issues that were going to defer its premiere into the summer sometime. I doubt they've finished the feature creep AND fixed the issues that fast.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:21 AM   #64
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
As recently as last month I was hearing that there were issues that were going to defer its premiere into the summer sometime. I doubt they've finished the feature creep AND fixed the issues that fast.

My thought is that they may put in the baseline features and software now and then start adding stuff via updates when they are ready and respond to any changes that users request. Similar to a full open beta except that it's not officially labeled a test. It would allow them to say Home is officially out while giving them time to tweak some features and create other features.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:52 AM   #65
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some new game release dates just announced.

---Wii Fit now has a release date of May 19th in North America. 1M units will be shipped for the NA release, so you fat people have no excuses.
---Wii Ware now has a release date of May 12th in North America.
---Mario Kart has a release date of mid-April for Europe.

Sales figures announced......

---Devil May Cry 4 has passed 2M units sold already.
---Motorstorm passes 3M units sold.
---Unreal Tournament 3 has sold 1.2M units on the PS3.

More rumors are swirling that a public beta of Home will be announced as soon as tomorrow (Feb. 21st) at the GDC conference. (Edit: Developers have stated that it will not be released this week).

Sony has passed the 10 million PS3's sold mark 4 months ahead of the 360's pace and analysts predict that they will outsell the 360 in all three regions for at least the next two months. Sony shares also jumped as much as 5% yesterday in worldwide markets on the news of HD-DVD's demise.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-20-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #66
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More GDC '08 news......

MGS Online hands-on preview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93022

Mario Kart Wii hands-on preview:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/852/852952p1.html

Left 4 Dead announced as coming to 360 and PC:

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/02...lusive-to-360/
Old 02-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #67
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Xbox 360 price drop of $50.00 in Canada coming soon. Rumor is that it's an adjustment for the changes in the value of the U.S. dollar to bring the Canadian pricing in line with the U.S.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/ru...ops-50-friday/
Old 02-20-2008, 11:07 AM   #68
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Xbox 360 price drop of $50.00 in Canada coming soon. Rumor is that it's an adjustment for the changes in the value of the U.S. dollar to bring the Canadian pricing in line with the U.S.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/ru...ops-50-friday/

Having a price drop when you can't get pieces to the stores seems kind of strange.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #69
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Having a price drop when you can't get pieces to the stores seems kind of strange.

Agreed that it doesn't have an effect on the market, but this adjustment has been long overdue. Overseas markets have been paying a premium for the same console that the U.S. has for some time now. I wouldn't be shocked to see a similar adjustment in Europe in the next couple of months.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #70
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Mario Kart Wii hands-on preview:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/852/852952p1.html

The death of snaking, 12 player online with the ability to have multiple players on one Wii play online ala Halo, online battle mode, 32 tracks, Gamecube/classic controller support if the motion controls somehow turn out worse than those of Excite Truck (which worked well), this game is going to be awesome.

We need a little FOFC competition when this comes out.

Metal Gear Online also sounds pretty sweet. I wonder if they are going to let players use lock-on like in the campaign mode, I've just never been all that fond of aiming a gun with an analog stick, a mouse or even the Wiimote is so much better.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #71
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
We need a little FOFC competition when this comes out.

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #72
MikeVic
Head Coach

Smash in a few weeks, the Mario Kart shortly after. And it seems like Wii Fit will be in there somewhere too?

I'm still trying to get into Zack and Wiki, and just bought Front Mission and Professor Layton for my DS. I need to find more time.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #73
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Smash in a few weeks, the Mario Kart shortly after. And it seems like Wii Fit will be in there somewhere too?

I'm still trying to get into Zack and Wiki, and just bought Front Mission and Professor Layton for my DS. I need to find more time.

Wii Ware is coming out as well. Nintento has a strong first-party lineup for the second quarter.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM   #74
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New games announcements............

Translation from an Italian PR site indicates that Gears of War 2 may be released in November 2008.....

Quote:
“Gears of War 2” (Epic Games). “Gears of War 2” is the sequel to the best seller, with 4,5 millions copies sold, which redefined the tactical/third person/action game genre. “Gears of War 2” follow the story of Marcus Fenix and Delta Team in an epic saga of survival, defeat (?) and punishment. Developed by Epic games as an Xbox 360 exclusive, “Gears of War 2” will be available from November.

New platformer for the Wii called 'Mushroom Men'. Link to download below.......

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_5540_en.html
Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #75
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Wii Fit is one that I'm going to have to hear some more impressions on. I'm skeptical that it can actually improve your health, but if the games are fun then I'll probably still get it. Slaloming does look pretty cool.

From this interview with NoA President Reggie Fils-Aime there are "over ten games in development" for the balance board. Two of them better be 1080 Snowboarding and Punch-Out or I'm gonna have to post a lot of smilies.

Pro Evolution Soccer is the next Wii game I'm really excited for, the IR pointer controls should be great, from videos it looks like a soccer RTS.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #76
MJ4H
Coordinator

Smash Kart and Fit are the three big must-haves for me that are coming out.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #77
Synovia
High School Varsity

Quote:
Wii Fit is one that I'm going to have to hear some more impressions on. I'm skeptical that it can actually improve your health, but if the games are fun then I'll probably still get it. Slaloming does look pretty cool.

I played about an hour and a half of wii-sports the other night, and I'm still sore, so I don't doubt it at all. Think of it like an interactive fitness video.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #78
Groundhog
Coordinator

First time I played the wii sports baseball, me and my flatmate had about a 2 hour session. The next morning, I couldn't lift my arm to reach over and shut off my alarm clock.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:13 PM   #79
SackAttack
Head Coach

That happened to me, but it was Wii Bowling that killed my shoulder for about a week.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #80
twothree
College Prospect

I saw 2 Wii consoles on a store shelf a few days ago. They were gone the next day, but it is the first time I have seen them on a retail shelf since last February when I purchased mine.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #81
SackAttack
Head Coach

We got like 50 today. Only two left when I left the store 40 minutes ago.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #82
Balldog
Pro Rookie

We finally were able to purchase a Wii, online at Toys R Us, ended up having to get a bundle with 6 games - 4 shitty games plus Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 PM   #83
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Other than my normal PC games, I'm still playing my original Xbox. I can't decide which console to get, so I'm putting off buying any. But I'll probably break down and get something with the May rebate check (you know, to do my civic duty). PS3 is the front runner, but not by much. Does anyone know if the PS3 is region free like it was said to be pre-release?
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:21 AM   #84
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

If you're choosing the pecking order in our house presently is ....

1. 360
2. PS-3 (for BluRay mainly - but also old PS-2 games)
3. Wii

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-24-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #85
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Other than my normal PC games, I'm still playing my original Xbox. I can't decide which console to get, so I'm putting off buying any. But I'll probably break down and get something with the May rebate check (you know, to do my civic duty). PS3 is the front runner, but not by much. Does anyone know if the PS3 is region free like it was said to be pre-release?

Yes, it is fully region free. Also, the region for the Blu-ray discs includes Asia, so North American PS3's can play Blu-ray discs from both Japan and North America.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #86
Icy
Pro Starter

As mizzou said, it's region free for games, that is why i bought it, to play USA sports games (NCAA, College Hoops, etc) that i couldn't in the 360 as i live in Europe and the 360 is region locked.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #87
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Yes, it is fully region free. Also, the region for the Blu-ray discs includes Asia, so North American PS3's can play Blu-ray discs from both Japan and North America.
No, it does not include Asia. It includes Japan and a few other southeast Asian countries. China, India, Russia and the rest of Asia are not included. Based on population and size, the vast majority of Asia is not included in the same region with North America.

Last edited by Daimyo : 02-24-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #88
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Yeah I think there are three Blu-Ray regions, one for the Americas + Japan and some Asian nations, one for Europe + Africa, and one for the other countries where everyone just pirates stuff anyhow.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #89
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Uh oh boys, after the depressing news of EA and the NFL adding three years to the exclusivity agreement things could become even more dire:

Quote:
Electronic Arts Proposes to Acquire Take-Two Interactive Software for $26 Per Share in Cash, or Approximately $2.0 Billion
Sunday February 24, 2:00 pm ET

Proposal Represents 64 Percent Premium to Take-Two's February 15th Closing Price and 63 Percent Premium to Take-Two's Closing Price Over the Previous 30 Days

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (“EA”) (NASDAQ: ERTS - News) today announced that it has proposed to acquire Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (“Take-Two”) (NASDAQ: TTWO - News) in an all-cash merger valued at approximately $2.0 billion.

EA’s proposal of $26 per share in cash represents a premium of 64 percent over Take-Two’s closing stock price on Feb. 15th, the last trading day before EA sent its revised proposal to Take-Two, and a 63 percent premium over Take-Two’s 30-day trailing average price over the thirty trading days ending on that date.

EA’s proposal was contained in a letter sent on Feb. 19th by EA Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello to Strauss Zelnick, Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors of Take-Two. The Take-Two Board’s subsequent rejection of the EA proposal led to EA’s decision to release the letter and bring its proposal to the attention of all Take-Two shareholders.

Mr. Riccitiello said today: “Our all-cash proposal is a unique opportunity for Take-Two shareholders to realize immediate value at a substantial premium, while creating long-term value for EA shareholders. Take-Two’s game designers would also benefit from EA’s financial resources, stable, game-focused management team, and strong global publishing capabilities.”

The EA letter warned that further Take-Two delay in accepting EA’s proposal could prevent Take-Two’s shareholders and other constituents from realizing its benefits. “There can be no certainty that in the future EA or any other buyer would pay the same high premium we are offering today,” Mr. Riccitiello wrote. The letter added that timely completion of the proposed transaction would allow EA’s strong publishing and distribution network to positively impact the ongoing post-launch sales of GTA IV and support the new Take-Two titles scheduled for launch later in the year and during the holiday selling season.

As noted in EA’s Feb. 19th letter, EA’s proposal is not conditioned on any financing requirement. It is, however, subject to certain customary conditions as set forth in the letter. EA’s $26 per share proposal is based on the current equity capitalization of Take-Two. Although EA indicated in the letter that its proposal was subject to negotiations commencing by Feb. 22nd, EA intends to keep its proposal open for the present to give Take-Two’s shareholders and Board of Directors further time to consider it.

Wave goodbye to good basketball games if this goes through and say hello to Bioshock 2009, GTA 2009 etc.

Hopefully Take-Two rejects this, if this kind of thing continues they'll only be three big publishers in this country, EA/Take-Two, Activision/Blizzard, and Nintendo of America.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #90
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Uh oh boys, after the depressing news of EA and the NFL adding three years to the exclusivity agreement things could become even more dire:

Wave goodbye to good basketball games if this goes through and say hello to Bioshock 2009, GTA 2009 etc.

Hopefully Take-Two rejects this, if this kind of thing continues they'll only be three big publishers in this country, EA/Take-Two, Activision/Blizzard, and Nintendo of America.

EA already killed College Hoops (there are a lot of rumors that they have actually purchased exclusivity to that and it's not just that 2k walked away from the license.) However, this would be bad news for other games that I really like such as Bioshock and NBA 2k as well as the potential of All Pro 2k9
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #91
SackAttack
Head Coach

Poor French Guyana, getting lumped into the European BD film region.

As for the 2K/EA thing...I'm thinking about what that might mean for the Civilization franchise.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #92
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Damn I forgot about that one, that's been one of my favorite series for years.

edit: Just read in the other thread that the deal as been rejected. Good news for now.

Last edited by Big Fo : 02-24-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #93
SackAttack
Head Coach

So I'm thinking if this Bluetooth obnoxiousness doesn't knock it the hell off, I may just start getting the 360 version of multiplatform games on general principle, disc quantity or visual quality be damned.

I just gave up a triple to Prince Fielder because my controller spazzed out and sent my right fielder running from "in position" to "humping the outfield wall"
Old 02-24-2008, 09:25 PM   #94
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So I'm thinking if this Bluetooth obnoxiousness doesn't knock it the hell off, I may just start getting the 360 version of multiplatform games on general principle, disc quantity or visual quality be damned.

I just gave up a triple to Prince Fielder because my controller spazzed out and sent my right fielder running from "in position" to "humping the outfield wall"

Do you have a 60/20 GB or one of the newer models? I read the newer ones have better Bluetooth and Wi-Fi reliability. I'm waiting for all you guys to post a lot more impressions of that game (assuming you're playing The Show 08) when it comes out since if it lives up to the hype it will finally push me to get a PS3 even though GTA4 and MGS4 are still a few months off. However, I can't decide whether to try and track down a used 60 GB for full backwards compatibility (supposedly it upscales PS2 games pretty nicely?), whether to go for an 80 GB since they are slightly easier to find having only been discontinued for a few months and have the improved Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, or just get the cheaper 40 GB (with the more imrpoved Bluetooth and Wi-Fi) and keep my old PS2 around. Why does this crap have to be so complicated?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #95
SackAttack
Head Coach

I'm rocking a 60 GB. I haven't fooled with upscaling PS2 games much, but it's supposed to be capable of doing that, yes.

And for what it's worth, the Fielder triple instantly prompted me to turn the system off. I've had bluetooth issues with a variety of titles, but having it pop up in a baseball game is a real good way to get me to stop playing that game. Maybe the 360 offering won't be as good, but does it matter if I put 45 minutes into a game only to have the whole thing fall apart in the 7th when the controller spazzes out on defense?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #96
Groundhog
Coordinator

Didn't even know that there were bluetooth issues with the PS3. I have the 40gb non-PS2 compatible one, and haven't noticed anything.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #97
Travis
Pro Rookie

Count me in the camp that hasn't had any bluetooth issues. I've got a 60 gig and thus far 0 issues. Haven't played much with the PS2 upscaling, stuck pretty much to BR and PS3 content.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #98
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

No control issues here either with our ps3. FWIW it's a 20g model that was bourht in Nov. of 2006.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #99
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've had no controller disconnects on my 60GB PS3 at all. SackAttack, you really need to send that machine back if possible. If it were a system issue, you'd hear a lot more about it if everyone's bluetooth was screwing up as badly as you've reported. There's something amiss on your system.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 02-25-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #100
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I had heard of early bluetooth issues on the PS3 but I haven't personally had them (newer 40GB model here).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote