Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2006, 04:42 PM   #51
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm really interested in how (if?) they'll handle the actual comedy scenes. So far we've only seen bits of the "bad" comedy like the Bush opening and the cartoon, which was pretty devestatingly realistic. But at some point, if we're supposed to believe that some of these sketches are actually witty and clever and biting, we're going to have to see them, won't we? Can they pull that off? Or do they take the easy way out and just cut to shots of the audience laughing and cheering.

My guess is that there won't be very much. Sorkin's shows always focus about 95% on the behind the scenes element. Reading this reminded me of several West Wing scenes that would show Bartlet behind the scenes getting ready to make a huge speech and/or tv appearance, and right as he walked out on stage or got in front of the camera the scene would end.

It will be interesting to see, though. If they could actually add some funny skits, it'd really add another dimension to the show.

Right now I'm curious as to how interested I can be in the success or failure of a TV show when I'm so accustomed to seeing Josh Lyman deal with terrorists and the economy instead of fart jokes and network execs. The stakes just seem a lot lower.

timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:44 PM   #52
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
I'm really interested in how (if?) they'll handle the actual comedy scenes. So far we've only seen bits of the "bad" comedy like the Bush opening and the cartoon, which was pretty devestatingly realistic. But at some point, if we're supposed to believe that some of these sketches are actually witty and clever and biting, we're going to have to see them, won't we? Can they pull that off? Or do they take the easy way out and just cut to shots of the audience laughing and cheering.

It would be funny if the skecthes on Studio 60 were funnier than those on SNL, wouldn't it.
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #53
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
FYI re the ratings...

NEW YORK -- The fall season opened Monday with two of the most anticipated series premieres of the year off to a so-so start.

NBC's "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" and CBS' "The Class," both of which commanded substantial financial commitments from their respective networks and received generally positive reviews, didn't quite burst out of the gate but managed to put up competitive figures in their time slots.

The Aaron Sorkin-written "Studio 60" got a good lead-in with the season premiere of the hit game show "Deal or No Deal," which averaged 15.7 million viewers and a 5.0 rating/13 share among adults 18-49 in its two-hour season premiere -- about the same as last season's Monday performance.

"Studio 60," whose ensemble cast includes Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet and Bradley Whitford, couldn't keep up the pace at 10 p.m.. The drama set behind the scenes of a late-night sketch show delivered 13.4 million viewers and a 5.0/13 in adults, according to data released Tuesday by Nielsen Media Research.

While it was up from what "Medium" did last year in the time period, it also showed a significant erosion in its last half-hour, according to preliminary ratings released Tuesday: down 15% between 10-10:30 p.m. (14.6 million vs. 12.2 million) and down 16% in the demo (5.3/13 vs. 4.6/12).

Part of the problem is that it's up against CSI: Miami, which won the night on Monday. CSI: Miami, while probably one of the worst hour long dramas on television is apparently very popular... CBS says it's the most watched show in the WORLD .
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #54
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Well we could easily see 30 seconds of a sketch that was pretty amusing. Making it part of a 2 minute or 5 minute sketch is of course much harder.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:02 PM   #55
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
Part of the problem is that it's up against CSI: Miami, which won the night on Monday. CSI: Miami, while probably one of the worst hour long dramas on television is apparently very popular... CBS says it's the most watched show in the WORLD .

I really don't get the "CSI" obsession. That show never worked for me.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #56
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I really don't get the "CSI" obsession. That show never worked for me.

I enjoy Las Vegas, though I missed much of last season... but Miami is one of the worst written and acted shows in existance.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 PM   #57
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:

Proof positive that the world is in very very bad shape .

Regarding the comedy bits, I'm also looking forward to seeing how they handle that. My gut suspicion is that most of it will be handled as 'guest host monologue' type situations. Just like 'Love Monkey' would have been a great cross-promotional opportunity to highlight new artists, Studio 60 could be a similar tool for writers and comedians. If Sorkin can fit his ego round that
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #58
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
It would be funny if the skecthes on Studio 60 were funnier than those on SNL, wouldn't it.

funny? yes. difficult? no.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #59
spleen1015
Coordinator

I finally watch the pilot for this last night. I thought the saw was great. I don't think I have laughed as much at single hour of tv, ever! Hopefully the goodness keeps up.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #60
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and hopefully the ratings pick up...
Old 09-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #61
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, Studio 60's ratings were down 16% from last week. NBC's spin on this is that it's up 10% from last year in the same time slot, which was held by Medium - a show that didn't even make the new season's schedule (it looks like it will be back mid-season after Sunday night football ends).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-28-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #62
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yeah, Studio 60's ratings were down 16% from last week. NBC's spin on this is that it's up 10% from last year in the same time slot, which was held by Medium - a show that didn't even make the new season's schedule (it looks like it will be back mid-season after Sunday night football ends).

That's unfortunate, I really hope it sticks.

There are just some good shows that don't make it though.

There was a show last season, "InJustice" that I really liked that appears to not be back this season for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM   #63
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am really enjoying this show so far, I hope the ratings pick up.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #64
jonesz
Mascot

I really like the show, but thought this weeks episode was a bit of a step back from the first. It was almost like they built the fake show up so much in the episode that the payoff for the real show at the end just didn't meet the bar for me. I could have done without the musical number and would have preferred a taste of Crazy Christians instead.

That's the main thing I'm struggling with with this show as of right now. It's not really about the "skits", but more about the people behind the skits. IMO they still need to have strong skits to show as well.

That being said, I think this show has tremendous potential once it gets in a rhythm and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season has to offer.
jonesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:46 AM   #65
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I also have to say, Matthew Perry has been surprisingly good. He's not playing Chandler, which is refreshing. I wish Bradley Whitford would follow suit, but whatever.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:03 AM   #66
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I also have to say, Matthew Perry has been surprisingly good. He's not playing Chandler, which is refreshing. I wish Bradley Whitford would follow suit, but whatever.

I think this matches my assessment nicely. I missed the first episode, and spent the first several minutes wondering when the writers would figure out that they weren't depicting people in the Whitehouse.

I think the jury is still out, but since it follows Heroes and I don't care for CSI Miami, I'll be giving this show a chance.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #67
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought this note about Whitford on defamer.com was somewhat interesting...

"Meanwhile, Studio 60 was down 16 percent from its premiere, a ratings drop-off that might force Aaron Sorkin to finally address the network's note that he find a way to replace Bradley Whitford's cocaine addiction with a superpower."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:31 AM   #68
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good show, but America prefers its Two and A Half Men or "Survivor 13 - stuck in Wisconsin" - it doesn't seem likely that it will last.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:35 AM   #69
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I haven't watched Heroes yet. any good?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #70
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

I'd call it promising... It won't live up to what i'd really hope it to be... or like cthomer5000 said to me, as good as if it was on HBO... but i think it will be an enjoyable show.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #71
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

It's not bad. I'll watch the next episode.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #72
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I didn't enjoy Heroes at all. Some of the acting was as bad as I've ever seen on any primetime show.

I'm really enjoying Studio 60 however and hope that it is given more chances.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #73
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I didn't enjoy Heroes at all. Some of the acting was as bad as I've ever seen on any primetime show.

I'm really enjoying Studio 60 however and hope that it is given more chances.

You must not watch a lot of primetime shows then .

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #74
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
You must not watch a lot of primetime shows then .

Outside 24 and Nip/Tuck, I don't.

But seriously, I do not want to post any spoilers so I won't comment directly, I will watch the show a couple more weeks to see if it improves at all.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:28 PM   #75
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Outside 24 and Nip/Tuck, I don't.

But seriously, I do not want to post any spoilers so I won't comment directly, I will watch the show a couple more weeks to see if it improves at all.

I'm not saying there wasn't some bad acting, I'm just saying there's some REALLY terrible acting on primetime TV. I think this at least has a somewhat unique premise.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #76
Bee
Pro Starter

I liked Heroes and didn't think the acting was that bad for tv. Generally, I've been pretty pleased with the shows I am recording. Much better than last year. The only one that I killed after the first round was Shark which I thought was utter crap. Smith is also on short notice, but I'm giving it another week or two.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:45 PM   #77
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I liked Heroes and didn't think the acting was that bad for tv. Generally, I've been pretty pleased with the shows I am recording. Much better than last year. The only one that I killed after the first round was Shark which I thought was utter crap. Smith is also on short notice, but I'm giving it another week or two.

I've eyed three for this season. Studio 60, Heroes, and Friday Night Lights. Everything else that partially interested me (like Jericho and Smith) conflicted with something else and I don't have a duel tuner TiVO. So far I'm happy, we'll see how Friday Night Lights turns out.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #78
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm not holding out much hope for Friday Night Lights, but it might surprise me.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #79
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I'm not holding out much hope for Friday Night Lights, but it might surprise me.

Agreed. I'm actually also enjoying "Two-A-Days" on MTV... it's not great, but for a 20 minute show (cause that's what MTV 30 minute shows are) it's interesting and it gives you HS football without it being scripted as it is on FNL.. that's what worries me about a sports based TV show, the fact that the game results are all decided, etc...

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #80
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Agreed. I'm actually also enjoying "Two-A-Days" on MTV... it's not great, but for a 20 minute show (cause that's what MTV 30 minute shows are) it's interesting and it gives you HS football without it being scripted as it is on FNL.. that's what worries me about a sports based TV show, the fact that the game results are all decided, etc...

???

In a TV show... everything is decided.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:39 PM   #81
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
???

In a TV show... everything is decided.

Two-A-Days is a reality show that follows Hoover High School in Alabama. So, it's not pre-determined.. yes it happened before we saw it, but it happens based on the game, not on what writers decide.

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #82
Brillig
College Prospect

Back on topic... I was a little disappointed by this week's installment of Studio 60 - it just didn't seem as strong as the first one. The musical number was actually a clever conceit, in my opinion, being funny without having to be an actual comedy skit. Also, I'm not unfond of Gilbert and Sullivan. And there was nothing to kvetch about in the performances, generally solid throughout, but I give a gold star to Matthew Perry for his solliloquy on Harriet. The ending was classic, and probably more than a smidge autobiographical, giving a quick flash on how Sorkin probably feels each week.

So with all the good, where's the bad? There just didn't seem to be as much dramatic tension in the show as I expected. Certainly, this isn't the West Wing, so you don't have world-changing events as an easy out. But my gut says Sports Night hit the drama button better than this. Hopefully the stories will get better as we get to know the characters more.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:29 PM   #83
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think that's a pretty good recap of the episode brillig.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #84
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Two-A-Days is a reality show that follows Hoover High School in Alabama. So, it's not pre-determined.. yes it happened before we saw it, but it happens based on the game, not on what writers decide.

Yeah I know. My point was more that you said you don't like "fake" sports shows specificly because they have a predetermined outcome. But all "fake" shows, sports or not, have their outcomes determined.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #85
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah I know. My point was more that you said you don't like "fake" sports shows specificly because they have a predetermined outcome. But all "fake" shows, sports or not, have their outcomes determined.

Ah, gotcha...

For some reason it bothers me more with sports than other themes. Irrational, I know, but that's how it is for me...

Quote:
Old 09-28-2006, 08:52 PM   #86
bhlloy
Coordinator

I still enjoyed the second episode, but it was definitely a dropoff from the first one. Didn't enjoy Heroes at all, the acting was terrible and the storyline seems very cheesy. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Kidnapped yet... it's been done a million times before but I've thought it's been pretty solid so far.

Oh and Shark blew... a huge disappointment
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:29 AM   #87
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I still enjoyed the second episode, but it was definitely a dropoff from the first one. Didn't enjoy Heroes at all, the acting was terrible and the storyline seems very cheesy. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Kidnapped yet... it's been done a million times before but I've thought it's been pretty solid so far.

Oh and Shark blew... a huge disappointment

I'm getting way sick of the shows that take the same story and carry it through every episode (lost, prison break, 24, etc) so I didn't give Kidnapped a chance...

Quote:
Old 09-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #88
Joe
Pro Starter

well kidnapped dropped 20% in viewership and 1.28M viewers from week 1 to week 2. so its not looking good anyway.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #89
Bee
Pro Starter

I didn't check out Kidnapped. I didn't like 24, so I was pretty sure Kidnapped wasn't going to do it for me either.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:18 AM   #90
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I know TV is not the most original medium anyway, but if I was one of the people behind Thief, I'd be sueing the pants off of the people behind Smith
Old 09-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #91
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know TV is not the most original medium anyway, but if I was one of the people behind Thief, I'd be sueing the pants off of the people behind Smith

If I was Ray Liotta, I'd be sueing the pants off of my plastic surgeon. WTF happened to his face?
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #92
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

that's a good question as well
Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 AM   #93
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Ah, Thief... a show I wish would have been given more of a chance...

Quote:
Old 09-29-2006, 07:20 AM   #94
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
If I was Ray Liotta, I'd be sueing the pants off of my plastic surgeon. WTF happened to his face?

I think he asked for the "lumpy potato".
Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're not setting the bar all that high these days...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #96
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
The TV critic for the KC Star was lukewarm on the show, but he did think Judd Hirsch should polish his mantle for his best guest starring actor for his on-air meltdown speech.

Actually, as soon as I heard what the show was going to be about, I knew it would reminded a lot of, well, of all things, a speech by Krusty about how comedy isn't funny any more, back when The Simpsons was still good.

SI

Old 10-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #97
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Anyways, sorry to be a bit late to the party but I just got to my recorded first couple of eps and watched them as a pair tonight.

I feel that the writers are holding back a bit right now, feeling out the characters before launching into things. It has a very familiar feel, more similar to the West Wing than to Sports Night. Again, I think it's the product of not entirely knowing where it wants to go yet. That said, the show has tremendous potential and if they try to cut it partway before the first season before it has a chance to build a following, it will be a huge mistake.

SI

Old 10-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #98
spleen1015
Coordinator

I watched the 2nd episode last night. While not a sgood as the first, it was still pretty good. I hope the show lasts for a few years. I don't look at tv like a lot of you guys. I just want to be entertained and I can't tell if this show is similar to the West Wing or to Family Feud. I just like watching it.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 AM   #99
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the Bushes vs the Clintons in the family fued actually sounded like a pretty funny idea for a skit. I have enjoyed this show so far and am surprised at how much I like Perry's character. I have always like Whitford and am lukewarm so far on his performance on this show. I also like Steven Weber, and while some of it is because Brian Hackett is one of my favorite sitcom characters of all time, I also think he hasn't a bad job as NBC's president. (Better than Russel Dowlripple)

Last edited by panerd : 10-02-2006 at 10:04 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:10 AM   #100
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I still think this show has fantastic potential. The first two episodes gave us a very good setup for the problems at the station and the plan that will go in place to fix the problems. We've started to get bits of history on the characters and will soon be able to focus more on the characters than on the "fix the studio" plot. The show hasn't hit full stride yet because it is still doing its setup. In the next week or two, we should get a good look at what this show will really become.

I applaud NBC for having the courage to give the show a few-week setup before really diving in. They are doing exactly what Fox didn't do with Firefly. Hopefully the fans will stick around long enough to see where it is going.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote